• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clash of the Connoisseurs! (741)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Near the end of this episode we got the usual "Next time I won't lose" from Pinot to Cilan. Now with the newer series that does leave the question of whenever he will return or not open. Unlike Kanto. Oh and Cilan gave him the same response that he gave to Burgundy "I'm looking forward to it".

I'm not looking forward to seeing him again, because Cilan already has a prefectly good rival (Burgundy). All the writers have to do is show that Burgundy can hold her own against him, which shouldn't be that difficult except that there are probably dozens of Cilan stans working on the anime, and they would hate for Cilan to meet his match. So the best they could do was give Cilan a male rival who is just as flamboyant as he is and hope that it's enough to make fans believe that Cilan has met his equal. It's an illusion, you see.

Eww the word "stans" is so dumb.

And "fall guy" isn't? It would behoove you to research something before criticizing it.

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I do apologize if I am being a bit too rash with this, but this has been bothering me for a while- Can anyone explain why some people thought Dent would be forceful to Momocchi (I remember someone even saying if Pokémon wasn't children's anime Dent would strangle her)? As Dent has always been nice around children - both human and Pokémon - and kind when he's helping someone as a Pokémon Sommelier; he's only smug and arrogant when he's tasting someone in battle. While I knew people would be proven wrong in that speculation it was still bothering me, no not in defence of Dent (I don't care on others opinions of him) but as people thinking he'll do something as out as character as that. When Dent's nice he's very nice.

Is it because of the Fuuro incident which was a big case of disagreeing with someone's methods and thus a completely different situation from this?

Also is it really so wrong that Dent was the one who solved everything (finding out Momocchi already has a Pokémon friend)? He is a main character of course he would be the one to do so, it's got nothing to do with 'perfectness'- Dent does have a few flaws. It's a conclusion so obvious everybody should be used to it happening, heck even if this ep did involve Dent getting into problems and development the conclusion would've been the same.

Lorde

I do apologize if I am being a bit too rash with this, but this has been bothering me for a while- Can anyone explain why some people thought Dent would be forceful to Momocchi (I remember someone even saying if Pokémon wasn't children's anime Dent would strangle her)? As Dent has always been nice around children - both human and Pokémon - and kind when he's helping someone as a Pokémon Sommelier; he's only smug and arrogant when he's tasting someone in battle. While I knew people would be proven wrong in that speculation it was still bothering me, no not in defence of Dent (I don't care on others opinions of him) but as people thinking he'll do something as out as character as that. When Dent's nice he's very nice.

It's because he usually mistreats female characters. There was Burgundy, whom he treats like an insect. Instead of trying to be the better person and trying to make peace with her, he resorts to passive-aggressive behavior. And who can forget the way he bashed Skyla? He went to her city and basically told her to change how she ran her Gym, even though nobody else had a problem with how she was running it. It wasn't his place to speak, so he should have kept his mouth shut. Then there's his mistreatment of Iris, which is sporadic, but still a problem; he's constantly arguing with her because she believes in the supernatural, and is always trying to prove her wrong. So is it really that surprising that some of us expected more sexist behavior from Cilan in this episode? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he was nice to the little girl, but things could've easily gone wrong.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^ Which is fine except Dento's never said men are superior to women....^_^; which is what being sexist is about. So far, being passive, mini-modding Gyms and finding spirits hogwash have nothing to do with "sexist" remarks, even if his opposition are coincidently female.

Congratz Kira, instead of getting me upset I actually lol'd very hard at your post. XD

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
On Burgundy: Yes he was sadistic and harsh on her during their battle, but that is Cilan's style when he's trying to teach somebody a lesson. Cilan supports Burgundy in her goal to become a high ranking Pokémon Connoisseur, tends to give his kindest smile towards her and is basically outright friendly to her. And the fact that Burgundy hates his niceness towards her as well as his composure makes it brilliant in my view. Also there's Cilan acknowledging Burgundy's improved battling skills during the Donamite tournament. Unless you say that this all Cilan hiding behind a 'mask', Kira?

Although I'm not short in believing that Cilan has a sadistic side, but I mainly think that as a joke.

Last edited:

Lorde

^ Which is fine except Dento's never said men are superior to women....^_^; which is what being sexist is about. So far, being passive, mini-modding Gyms and finding spirits hogwash have nothing to do with "sexist" remarks, even if his opposition are coincidently female.

Congratz Kira, instead of getting me upset I actually lol'd very hard at your post. XD

You're a Cilan stan, so I can't take anything you say seriously.

On Burgundy: Yes he was sadistic and harsh on her during their battle, but that is Cilan's style when he's trying to teach somebody a lesson. Cilan supports Burgundy in her goal to become a high ranking Pokémon Connoisseur, tends to give his kindest smile towards her and is basically outright friendly to her. And the fact that Burgundy hates his niceness towards her as well as his composure makes it brilliant in my view. Also there's Cilan acknowledging Burgundy's improved battling skills during the Donamite tournament. Unless you say that this all Cilan hiding behind a 'mask', Kira?

Although I'm not short in believing that Cilan has a sadistic side, but I mainly think that as a joke.

That is irrelevant. The fact remains that he was mean to Burgundy. I honestly thought she was exaggerating when she told everyone about how Cilan treated her terribly at the Striaton City Gym, but I later realized that she was probably telling the truth. But I noticed that nobody can justify how he treated Skyla and how he treats Iris on several occasions. Let's face it, Cilan is arrogant and bossy, and he always has to have things his way or else he throws a big tantrum. It's like we're dealing with a child here.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
Well due to me not looking too much into all of that, the only one I am able to get is Skyla. I didn't even like Skyla's way of handling Gym Battles myself, however I agree Cilan was being too rash and harsh towards Skyla and he could have been respectable. Like kindly asking Skyla for a Gym battle to try and show her the fun in it and all that while respecting her reasons for doing those Air Battles which was to have more time to fly her precious airplanes. But Cilan is way too passionate over his all hobbies and talents he can get really depressed if he messes something up as well having a bad habit of letting his rage get the better of him if someone does something that he can't stand to something he loves. He can't help it.

To tell you the truth I like that side to him, I mean I like how Cilan isn't always happy and positive, plus it shows that he is not always perfect and does have a few flaws. I really love Cilan's anger outbursts: Cilan is a nice and smiley guy during normal situations, but when he gets angry he gets really angry, his rage tends to explode to the point that he looks like he's about to kill somebody. And I love that, despite all of this (the same with getting depressed) Cilan can quickly recover and it's like nothing happened. However at the same time I would like to witness an episode were Cilan ends up in a situation which puts him down, is unable to recover and thus needs work on getting his composure back. But that's currently me hoping.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Burgundy: WHY, WHY WHY ARE YOU SO NICE AND PERFECT?!?!?

I've seen this smile before...;-; He'd make a perfect host.

Well I guess that's what make Burgundy tick. But I guess it would have been nice if Burgundy was that way and Cilan had Burgundy's bad luck. But I like the way Cilan is now. I however don't care for Crustle though.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Dento: "N-n-nonsense, I'll just assault it with frontal attacks" OMG I KNEW HE SENT OUT CRUSTLE TO OBLITERATE IT. XDDD

Pfft and Cabernet said both should lose. Wow, that surprises me. I thought she wanted Noir to lose. xD

Ok yes, this episode was definitely enjoyable. I loved how they had a somewhat hidden plot between the characters that was within the dialogue. Momochi didn't want the Tuline, however, both Noir AND her papa wanted her to have it. Dento was the only one to figure out she has a Pokemon attached to her. This is very different to how he behaved with Ash, while he had the right idea, he wasn't quite there yet. I think some of it is because he was calm and observant rahter than energetic and hyper. All and all, I'd say Dento is developing, it's just not as noticeable as the others.

Only nitpick would be they said that Pokemon Sommeliers were a new association, however, in the Aloe episode she said they had a deep history in Unova? Perhaps the writers forgot? Or maybe it had a similar practice long ago, and "Pokemon Sommeliers" played off of that? Or there were Pokemon Sommeliers in olden times, but they never had a legit name/Association?

Moral of this story: It's the inside that counts

Last edited:

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
From Dent's line it literally sounded like he wanted Choroneko to get out of his face as quickly as possible.

So of course, with its increased speed and strength from Shell Smash, Iwapalace would be best for the job.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Pinot Noir and Momocchi both looked very distinctly different from the typical models the animators use. It was almost like watching Pokemon as animated by a completely different artist. It was bizarre.

gliscor&yanmega

Finished watching.

I love how Cilan and the others get kidnapped and Joy is just standing there...yah don't call the cops or anything >:p

I enjoyed the episode. Cilan's scenes were my favorite part. While Pinot was rather...odd...he interested me no less, still...he's odd.

Rohanator

Loved the battle no matter how basic the ending was. Crustle is my 2nd favourite of all Unova Pokes(after Carracosta) so Cilan can overuse him as much as he likes for all I care. The animation was great, Crustle's X-Scissor and the Sand Attack looked very smooth. I really do honestly like Cilan, he's a great person no matter how weird he can be at times.:) And unlike Brock, I can actually rely on him winning his battles lol.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
I liked this episode. What pissed me off was the bad drawing of the dude's face and the little girl's eyes. I also didn't like how there were so many cuter cooler Pokemon there and one of the most uglist ones were picked. I mean damn!

Rohanator

I liked this episode. What pissed me off was the bad drawing of the dude's face and the little girl's eyes. I also didn't like how there were so many cuter cooler Pokemon there and one of the most uglist ones were picked. I mean damn!

It was kind of the point, the Pokemon Momotcchi liked the most was the one generally considered the ugliest so she was afraid to reveal it to her father.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok, but very odd... Night Slash looked very cool in this episode. It was funny when Burgundy was sent blasting off into the sky after the battle. Although their appearances were short, it was great seeing Lilligant and Petlill. Cilan's face when Pinot Noir brought out Purrloin was hilarious. :D Mommochi was very cute, although the eyes were hard to look at after awhile. I wish Crustle didn't have to rely on that Shell Smash and X-Scissor combo again to defeat Purrloin. Cilan really was good at figuring out that Momocchi wanted Foongus in the end, after being able to recognize its Sweet Scent.

40/100

Last edited:

Rohanator

Crustle's Shell Smashing may be kinda repetitive, but really, it's just the way it works. You don't bring a set up sweeper into a battle and then not use the set up move when you need to. At least they showed the speed boost as well this time, dodging the Night Slash like that.