• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clash of the Connoisseurs! (741)

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
It should be noted that this episode is not a filler as we got introduced into more on what Pokémon Connoisseurs - who are canon - do.

As well as finding out Opelucid Gym is closed and the group will be going to Virbank City so Ash can challenge the Virbank Gym instead.

Back when before this episode aired in Japan people were speculating it becoming a joke episode were Marigold picks Foongus over Cilan's and Ricard's choices or Burgundy picks Foongus and Marigold goes with that which was just all completely laughable as it did not make any sense. Doing his job as a Pokémon Connoisseur is a serious profession for Cilan, what this episode served was to show exactly why Cilan is an A-class Pokémon Connoisseur (this is the second time we've seen this, the first being when he helped Chili and Pansear out). It's not like Cilan's many other Connoisseur hobbies which are there for fun, therefore this episode should never have been all one big joke and thankfully the writers did it the correct way like I expected them to do.

Besides why not the suggestion of an episode that effects Iris's goal as a Dragon Master being a joke? Because that is a serious thing? Well, so was this.

Anyway, I loved Cilan in this episode because it reminded you that he's a very kind person. You knew he would never force Marigold into something she didn't want from the moment you noticed Cilan's concerned look over Marigold's reaction of having a Lilipup chosen for her. Plus of course there is once again being reminded of why Cilan is an A-class Pokémon Connoisseur. I think the reason why Cilan doesn't go into dramatic over-the-top sparkle mode when he's helping out as a Pokémon Connoisseur as opposed to battling as one is because Cilan takes his job seriously, he knows he has to focus on the task at hand. I recalled Cilan having one sparkling moment when he was helping Chili, but that was when Cilan was describing just how great Chili's and Pansear's bond is, the rest of the episode Cilan was 'well behaved'. Meanwhile Ricard is the complete opposite, he acts fabulous even when doing a task.

Also I enjoyed Ricard Nouveau, he was such a fabulously great guy. I hope he will appear again as Cilan does need a rival who can give him a challange.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I hope this guy comes back, he was amusing and I want him to represent an actual threat to Cilan which could hopefully lead to some development.

Though I do dislike how Burgundy blasted off. :/

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
Ricard would most likely have learned from their battle should the two meet and battle again as Cilan only won because he used great unpredictability.

Pokémon Connoisseurs are fantastic characters; Cilan's over-the-topness, Ricard being a fabulous freak and Burgundy's rage, all of them entertain me.

What Burgundy makes up for her lack of matching up to Cilan's skill she has in her personality. It's what helps Burgundy to stay as a notable character.

Janovy

Banned
What Burgundy makes up for her lack of matching up to Cilan's skill she has in her personality. It's what helps Burgundy to stay as a notable character.
I guess it does, but I still would have liked ... if, for example, if Burgundy had found the right Pokémon for the girl.

That would show that perhaps there's more to Burgundy than we can see and set her up for improvement.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
What Burgundy basically needs to do is learn that constantly screaming revenge at Cilan is not going to get her anywhere in becoming better than him.

And also to take her other opponents seriously. Once Burgundy learns all of this then she has a chance for improvement (not just in her battling skills).

In other words Burgundy put a hindrance on herself, even if Burgundy was telling the truth about Cilan her revenge-base attitude will never get her far.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I hope this guy comes back, he was amusing and I want him to represent an actual threat to Cilan which could hopefully lead to some development.

Though I do dislike how Burgundy blasted off. :/

He needs to come back, he has a Purrloin. XDDD

But really though, Burgundy finding the right Pokemon would be silly. I want to see something happen to Dento because he's the main character, not about Burgundy finding the right Pokemon. :/ I loved this episode a lot, and a lot of it was because the favors were turned towards Pinot Noir I'll never learn to spell Ricard...Nnfdjkfnghag today. Like, even Marigold's father was saying that Noir must win under any circumstance...which wow. Dento didn't even suggest a Pokemon at that time. :/

matt0044

I'll never learn to spell Ricard...Nnfdjkfnghag today.

Ricard will do. Speaking of whom, I do hope he returns someday only with 90% less booty shaking.

halloweenghost

Loved when burgundy blasted off and Ash's reaction

Where have i heard that before?

LOL loved the homage to the old team rocket blasting off nod lol

This episode reminded me alot of season one indigo epiodes

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Is anyone hoping we'll meet a B-Class or an S-Class Connoisseur soon?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
That Team Rocket reference, a new reason to give the writers props.
But Richard should return, I know we've yet to see him in **** ****** *, but you may never know.

Vipsoccermaster

Nice, a great episode. Too bad Opelucid Gym is closed, so Virbank Gym this time. The reference of Burgundy blasting off in a similar fashion to Team Rocket was nice, as well. The battle between Cilan and Ricard was pretty quick, and I knew Cilan would pick a good Pokémon for Marigold.

fubufubu

the reason why cilan is so excited about going to virbank city: what is one of virbank's crowning landmarks? pokestar studios! what is one of cilan's favorite things? movies of course!

Battra

This episode is so boring, burgundy had no reason to be in this & Ricard is just another in a long line of jerk smug trainers of the week. Can we please finally get an explanation as to why Cilan doesn't like Purrloin, the whole being afraid of certain Pokemon meme got tired all the way back in season 1. Being afraid of something without an explanation is not funny comedy. So the writers had written themselves into a corner by not expounding on Iris's character and her goal to become a Dragon master, so what do they do we conveniently close Opelucid Gym in order to cover up our mistakes and hey look were going to promote BW2.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
Let me just say that this episode was needed for the sole purpose of showing off what else Pokémon Connoisseur's can do. Therefore it's not filler.

To be more precise- It's not a filler in between two canon events; Finding out Opelucid Gym is closed in the start, going to Virbank City in the end.

I mean we were going to find more about them eventually. That's for anyone who thought this episode wasn't needed as Cilan got no development.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I hope that another character doesn't look this horrible again. What happened to the normality of COTD desgins?

WhyHelloThere

The COTD were all hideous, the episode was boring. Burgundy was annoying as usual. The battle was one-sided. Crustle could have gotten a much better battle than that. Cilan was sniffing the entire place like a dog.

Bad episode.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Maybe it is a bit weird. xD But I got a nostalgia rush to a video that was recorded when I was like 3 or something.

Dad: Can you sing your ABC's?
Me: But daddy I'm a dog!
Dad: Please, can you sing me your ABC's?
Me: Nooo I'm a dog!
Dad: Can you roll over?
Me: *rolls over*

XDDDDDDD

Yeah...animal lover through and through. XDDD I always thought it'd be Iris who was more in tune with her senses, but Dento apparently has a good sense of smell. xD

Blessed

A boring filler episode, Im surprised Nurse Joy didn't report the kidnapping. Burgundy is just extremely annoying & embarassing. The little girl was weird looking. All in all nothing exciting happened I guess this is how all Cilan focus episodes are.