• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Classical maybe?

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
I listen to Hitoshi Sakimoto (he composed much of the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack, which is about 95% orchestrated), his works are rather good as far as orchestrated goes. Otherwise, I'm not really bothered to listen to classical, it just sounds so...common...

Think Togepi

Here I Am.
I personally, think it's extreamly annoying.

DieChavsDie

I love classical music, so much so that I listen to it daily, on Classic FM (which I am listening to as we speak).

I am personally a very big fan of Classical Piano, and Woodwind Trios/Quartets etc. I am also in LOVE with voice (So long as it sounds good (duh)).

My personal favourite pieces are Bolero by Maurice Ravel and any good version of Puccini's Nessun Dorma.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Apparently, you are totally misinterpreting Apocalyptica as a band. Fair enough, you dislike the genre of symphonic metal, but I hope you realise that Apocalyptica are not intended to represent solely classical music, nor does anyone assume they are the epitome of the classical genre. They simply created a fairly unique band; I mean it’s hardly common for cello players to put together a band that plays instrumental versions of metal songs with classical instruments. So regardless of how you approach that issue, they are at least providing something different and they demonstrate some talent. It’s not about how seriously you take the band, all they’ve done is blended classical with metal, creating a very impressive band, so surely it can’t be difficult to appreciate the band for what they are instead of picking fault and not giving much justification, I mean have you even heard enough of their songs to make a solid unbiased statement?

Glad to see some Apocalyptica fans on here. That and Metallica's S&M are probably the only classical-based music I listen to, though they are mainly metal. I've also heard that many bands have classical influences, and include rhythm and other parts of the music into their own pieces, though with more rock/metal instruments.

Overall, though, I don't listen to raw classical music. In band class, however, we are forced to listen to one piece in class daily, which only irritates everyone.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Im not a Huge fan of Opera, although i realy like the Overture to Webers opera Der Freischütz. but i do like a lot of classical composers such as Beethoven, Bach, Paganini, Wagner, Handel, Tchikovski, Elgar. And to a degree I feel Guitarist Jason Becker should be considered a clasical composer for tracks like End of the Beggining and Serrana from his perspective album.

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
Glad to see some Apocalyptica fans on here. That and Metallica's S&M are probably the only classical-based music I listen to, though they are mainly metal. I've also heard that many bands have classical influences, and include rhythm and other parts of the music into their own pieces, though with more rock/metal instruments.

That is true actually. Not all genres of music can realistically be transferred into classical instrumental, yet over all metal music often can, I mean I'm sure any traditional classical fan would be able to appreciate the pure rhythm and musicianship of Metallica’s ‘Welcome Home (Sanitarium)’ performed by Apocalyptica. I think classical music has a greater influence on metal as a genre than people seem to realise, not only are musicians inspired by classical, many actually train in classical before forming metal bands – such as Warrel Dane of Sanctuary & Nevermore, he trained in opera before becoming a metal vocalist, and if I remember right, the lead guitarist of Kreator is also classically trained and he uses that background in his writing. After all, the electric guitar is only the descendent of violins and cellos when you think about it.

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
I enjoy listening to Classical music, and opera is okay when I don't laugh at it too much. But oftentimes, I get sleepy while listening to classical, especially with the most renowned composers. My parents think it's because it was what I listened to while I was inside the womb, but I have no idea personally. But now, instead of the older classics, I end up listening to videogame background music... x_x

The Composer

The Composer
Wow! This is awesome! I'm not sure who mentioned that they find classical to be common, but I'd really have to disagree (respectfully). I think that's it's more individual than LOADS of the stuff that's out lately. Also, I find opera (which is my favorite branch of classical music) to be MUCH more simple than any other music. So, odd as it is, I've never heard of "Apocalyptica". Any suggestions for some of their music?

Crystal Clair

I dont really listen to the old classics. I'm more into the video game type classical music. Zelda and Pokemon make up most or all of my classical collection. Pokemon, both from the games and the anime.
I like the music from Zelda and Pokemon better than the regular classical music because it feels more distinct.
Although some classical is pretty kickbutt.

Nidogod

I think classical music has a greater influence on metal as a genre than people seem to realise, not only are musicians inspired by classical, many actually train in classical before forming metal bands – such as Warrel Dane of Sanctuary & Nevermore, he trained in opera before becoming a metal vocalist, and if I remember right, the lead guitarist of
Kreator is also classically trained and he uses that background in his writing.

Yeah, actually the majority of power/prog metal singers have classical training. The demands are high enough that you can really hear when a singer hasn't been trained because they usually can't get away with it as easily as other kinds of music and sound underpar. And like said, lots of metal has strong classical influences, especially (obviously) neo-classical power metal. My personal favorite song that incorporates strong classical elements is Dragonland - Beethoven's Nightmare.

IMPERIAL DRAGON

Enemy Of Reality
So, odd as it is, I've never heard of "Apocalyptica". Any suggestions for some of their music?

Sure thing man :) personally I'd say check out:
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Harmaggedon
From Out of No Where
Refuse/Resist
Misconstruction
Farewell
Fatal Error
Path Vol. 2

Those are my personal favourites, hope you enjoy them if you do check them out.

And to Nidogod, considering a lot of metal is strongly influenced by classical, which bands would you say sum up this most? Oh and I know I've said it before but another dude that is worth checking out is Ed Allyene Johnson, the electric violin player formerly of New Model Army.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Sure thing man :) personally I'd say check out:
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Harmaggedon
From Out of No Where
Refuse/Resist
Misconstruction
Farewell
Fatal Error
Path Vol. 2

Those are my personal favourites, hope you enjoy them if you do check them out.

And to Nidogod, considering a lot of metal is strongly influenced by classical, which bands would you say sum up this most? Oh and I know I've said it before but another dude that is worth checking out is Ed Allyene Johnson, the electric violin player formerly of New Model Army.

Jason Becker/Cacophony , The Great Kat, the Trans siberian Orchestra, older children of bodom, Rhapsody (of fire),Stratovarious. those are the first to spring to mind

I love classical music; my favourite composers are Rachmaninov, Chopin and Bach, although I also love virtuoso composers like Liszt, Alkan and Ligeti.

My boyfriend is a composer and he used to be a Gramophone reviewer, so he has about a bajillion classical music CD's - he's been slowly educating me on the subject, haha!

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
It truly depends on the mood I'm in. I like classical-esque composers like Yoko Shimomura and Nobuo Uematsu. However, I dipped my toe in Opera styled singing, which is absolutely astonishing how well some of them can do riffs and runs through their performances. I have a pretty low voice (Bass-Baritone) so I can sing more songs from Opera then Pop music (which is tenor dominated). I prefer Broadway Singing to Opera but, I still sing in Operatic style sometimes.

Raito

HADOUKEN!
I absolutely love classical music. It's mostly all I listen to now. I like composers from the mid 1800's on the best, but do enjoy the baroque composers and the 18th-19th century composers.

Favorites:

Claude Debussy
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Modest Mussorgsky
Paul Hindemith
Ottorino Respighi
Gustav Holst
Peter Warlock
Frank Ticheli
Samuel Hazo
Eric Whitacre
Dmitri Shostakovich

Last edited:

Nidogod

'

Like I already mentioned I like Dragonland. Hammerheart mentioned some symphonic bands which basically all have classical elements just because they are so keyboard heavy, like (along with what he said) Fairyland, Keldian, and all of Luca Turilli's work. Dream Theater's keyboard player, Rudess, is an extraordinarily talented pianist who adds some classical segments to songs, and one of my favorite bands, Galneryus, is heavy on the classical stuff, guitar mores o than keys. It goes to show how important a classical base is when learning an instrument. It will help you indefinitely.

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
I adore classical music! :D Opera I can take, but only in small dosages.

Actually, I like game soundtracks too, and anime OSTs. I found this one chinese site (I think it's chinese) that has a bunch of decent OSTs... Not all the songs are great of course, but there's some you could listen to all day. :3

http://kakeru.idv.hm/music/indexf.asp

... and classical is the only thing I can wake up to. My alarm clock is taped down so it won't switch to Rock and roll or hip hop while I'm not looking. :< And the classical stations are almost always playing something in the morning, instead of commercials. Much better than having someone scream at you, loud guitar rips, or obnoxious rapping. *nods*