• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clefairy as Ash's starter?

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Ok, so by now I should think that everyone knows the writers originally planned for Ash to receive a Clefairy as his starter. The question I wanna throw out to you all is "How do you think the anime would've panned out had he actually received the little Fairy?"

E.g.

Would said Clefairy have refused to evolve?
Would it rival just about every Clefable it saw?
What sort of moves could you have seen it with?
Would Ash have ever captured another Normal type(bar Flying/Normal combos)?

Please, discuss.

Alfonso

Derpgull
Thunderbolt blowing everything up would pretty much be replaced by Metronome blowing everything up.

The majority of Metronome shown in the anime results in a generic explosion.

That's the only difference I can really think of. Lt. Surge would be very different, thinking about it though.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I think it would have been a lot worse. Clefairy is a girly pink fairy Pokemon, I think the show would've had lower popularity at first having the Main Character using that kind of Pokemon.

I don't really kno what to say though, Metronome would be the new Thundershock I guess. And there would be no use for Jigglypuff since Clefairy can Sing as well.

Lets just say, things would be much much different ..

milenadrg

His Clefairy will possibly refuse to evolove in that episode Clefairy and the Moon Stone and in fact Ash wouldn't have Pikachu, Lt. Surge will possibly have more Pokemon than Raichu...
Clefairy's most powerful attack is possibly going to be Metronome...
I think he's possibly going to have regional Bug, not bird(1st gen Butterfree, 2nd gen Ledian, 3rd gen Beautifly/Dustox, 4th gen Kricketune)...

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I really don't know how that would work, but I imagine Pikachu would be a chosen pokemon for Ash anyway

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Metronome would be pretty interesting thinking about it. It wouldn't be as repetitive as the old Thunderbolt, since a variety of attacks would be used.

But there is also it's level-up movepool, which is pretty limited physically. I mean, up until Hoenn, it's physical moves would be limited to Pound, Doubleslap and Metronome, unless they gave it a bunch of TM moves.

Jun's Heracross

Battle Ace
i tihnk the writers would just go mad with the whole idea of metronome and it would coincidently pick the perfect move for the situation most of the time.

however im sure ash's feminine side would be shown a lot more
x

Vernikova

Champion
It would've been very different indeed. Clefairy would've been a very difficult Pokémon to train in terms of attacks though Metronome would've added some variety. Though I believe that some battles would've been called by luck more than skill if Clefairy was the final Pokémon. The gym battle against Lt. Surge would've been different as well.

Would Whitney have used Clefairy as her main Pokémon instead of Miltank? Would Ritchie have also had a Clefairy?

Rex Kamex

Wouldn't it have been the Clefairy from the Pocket Monsters manga (that had a guest appearance in an AG episode? The little I know about that clefairy is that it isn't the cute, sweet Clefairy that other Clefairy are known for.

Ok, so by now I should think that everyone knows the writers originally planned for Ash to receive a Clefairy as his starter.

I don't know who you mean by "everyone", but that's... definitely not true. (Although I knew already...)

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Clefairy's one of my favorite Pokemon. Pikachu is one of the most despised Pokemon. Hmm ...

Truthfully I don't think things would be much different from where they are now. Clefairy might have started off stubborn like Pikachu and eventually mellowed out or they can take another route. Clefairy's Pokedex entries hint that it is a shy Pokemon. It might be afraid of Ash and other humans at first and gradually warm up to them. Team Rocket would have a considerably more leginimate reason to chase after Clefairy since it's a rarer Pokemon then Pikachu, too.

Surge / Raichu might not be too different, either. He can still tease Clefairy for being a weak looking cute Pokemon that hasn't been forced to evolve yet. Same concept.

Would Ash have ever captured another Normal type(bar Flying/Normal combos)?

Of course. It's pretty unavoidable given the sheer number of Normal Types that exist out there. It's one of the most populated types. Electric types are few and far in between in comparison.

A better question is if he'd still get a Pikachu at some point in Kanto or beyond ...

Clefairy would've been a very difficult Pokémon to train in terms of attacks

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/035.shtml

... buh?

Clefairy's moveset would primarily have a standard physical attack (Double Slap), a long range attack (Take your pick. Hidden Power works.), a strong finisher (I elect Meteor Mash over Metronome), and Iron Tail just like Pikachu.

BCVM22

Pikachu is one of the most despised Pokemon. Hmm ...

No, it's one of your most despised Pokémon. Any fans who, at this point, still despise Pikachu clearly have nothing more important to worry about and might want to rethink their priorities and everything else.

Shadow XD001

That would be pretty odd. I think Metronome would be overused and the whole Anime would be different. (mostly)

ijea4444

TBH I think Lt.Surge/Wattson/Volkner were all made because of pikachu. I'm not saying there would have been more normal gyms but definitly 2 or 1 less electric gyms.

Thriller

Its almost time
I think the plan was actually for Clefairy to be the mascot, until Pikachu got so popular. This happened before the anime.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
If Clefairy was made the mascot, likely he'd be receiving the same hate that Pikachu gets simply for being the "mascot".

A real question is what would happen if Ash's main Pokemon ended up being Jynx?

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
That's the only difference I can really think of. Lt. Surge would be very different, thinking about it though.

Replace Lt. Surge with Whitney, and thats pretty much the biggest difference. I can't really imagine an angry Clefairy, but I could still imagine TR trying to steal it, as Clefairy is pretty rare in the games, and I know games =/= anime, but whatever.

A real question is what would happen if Ash's main Pokemon ended up being Jynx?

That would be nuts, especially with the "Jynx skin color scandal" that happened IIRC.

JustinConnor

Traveling through Mt.Thunder, Ash would stumble across a rare Pikachu. He'd start to catch it but be stopped by Seymour the Scientist. 10 million kids rage. Team Rocket hassle the poor Pikachu and it's pals through their evolution ceremony. A big Thunderstone gets blown up along with Team Rocket. Several Pikachus, including the one Ash almost caught, evolve.

In a parallel universe, 10 million 19 year-olds smile and think to themselves "Finally!" but they aren't sure why.