• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clefairy & The Moonstone! (006)

gentwoer

While I hesitate to call this a filler episode because it at least featured a location from the games (Zubat's capture doesn't mean much because fans could have just assumed he always had it if they missed this episode) it was the first episode where nothing important happens. It's an okay episode and while Seymour was pretty annoying I didn't want him decapitated like Samurai or the NEXT character of the day in a filler episode so there's that.

In the games Team Rocket wanted the Pokemon fossils presumably either for their monetary value or to revive rare Pokemon to sell or use. In the anime they wanted the moon stone which while rare I suppose is pretty useless unless they had any of the 4 Pokemon that use it to evolve (they dont) I guess they could have sold it but that didn't seem the intent?

I wonder how many kids today watching this on Netflix would even get the macarena reference?

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
An eh episode. I liked the fact Brock caught Zubat, even if it happened off-screen. Too bad he used it very rarely. The Clefairy carrying shards of the Moon Stone for a while before evolving was odd.
5/10

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Cleafairy carrying shards of the Moon Stone for a while before evolving was odd.
5/10

It seemed to me that carrying the pieces was like a ritual for them as part of their evolution ceremony, and also as a method of completing the formation of the huge Moon Stone at the mountain's peak.

Daizy

I call you honey
In the games Team Rocket wanted the Pokemon fossils presumably either for their monetary value or to revive rare Pokemon to sell or use. In the anime they wanted the moon stone which while rare I suppose is pretty useless unless they had any of the 4 Pokemon that use it to evolve (they dont) I guess they could have sold it but that didn't seem the intent?

Y'know I do find Team Rocket's whole plan faulty now and I think we shoulda seen their in-game fossil theft mission here instead.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
Y'know I do find Team Rocket's whole plan faulty now and I think we shoulda seen their in-game fossil theft mission here instead.

Watching the three of them steal Pokemon fossils wouldn't have been much different than watching them steal the Moonstone, however.

This episode was important since we saw Misty's Staryu for the first time, Brock got a Zubat and Ash reached Route 4 at the end. Also, I liked Seymour's idea of how Pokemon might have come from outer space since Clefairy seemed like a good example of an alien. I find it funny how Team Rocket wanted the giant Moon Stone though, it was too big to even carry.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
Also, I liked Seymour's idea of how Pokemon might have come from outer space since Clefairy seemed like a good example of an alien.

He was ahead of his time since we'd eventually see all kinds of space-dwelling Pokemon in Gen III and beyond such as Deoxys. Pippi looks positively simple by comparison, though.

The very first true filler of the anime and despite that my favourite moment was when Misty used Staryu to battle Meowth. The pacing overall wasn't as bad as the previous episode where tons of stuff got crammed into a short period of time, but it was almost the opposite in the sense that the Clefairy and Moonstone parts seemed to go on for too long and didn't really seem to move the plot forward as much as it should've. The Gary signpost scene at the very end was really funny though. 6/10

Zamin

I really like this episode. Seymour was an interesting character. The Clefairy were cool and I loved their ritual and also the friendship between Pikachu and Clefairy. I’m happy Seymour stayed with them at the end

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zamin said:
I’m happy Seymour stayed with them at the end

While it gave him some closure since he was now able to study the wild Pippi more closely, I figured that he had gotten to know them well enough by the end of the episode that he no longer needed to stay at the mountain to begin with.

Applecorp

This was the 1st episode from Kanto that I watched as a kid and I could've sworn that the scientist guy was based on the Super Nerd class trainers from the videogames but I can't be 100% sure if that was done on purpose or just coincidence.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
This was the 1st episode from Kanto that I watched as a kid and I could've sworn that the scientist guy was based on the Super Nerd class trainers from the videogames but I can't be 100% sure if that was done on purpose or just coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that was the basis of his character. In fact, he seemed to be a reworked version of the Science Man NPC that is found in the same location in the games who tries to battle the player when they try to pick up a Fossil. Only in this episode, the Science Man character was given an actual name and a new role involving Pippi and the Moon Stones.

I LOVE SEYMOUR THE SCIENTIST! I wish we saw him again.
Fun Fact: He was voiced by Adam/Maddie Blaustein (RIP)

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"The first technically filler episode. Not bad at all"

Episode: 5/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
RafaSceptile said:
Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"The first technically filler episode. Not bad at all"

Episode: 5/10
Considering that Takeshi caught Zubat here and Kasumi revealed that she owns a Hitodeman, would this really be a filler episode? I thought that most viewers agreed that team additions for the cast kept episodes from being labelled as fillers.

RafaSceptile

Considering that Takeshi caught Zubat here and Kasumi revealed that she owns a Hitodeman, would this really be a filler episode? I thought that most viewers agreed that team additions for the cast kept episodes from being labelled as fillers.
That's why is a technically filler but not a true filler. The first true filler is uuuhhh...EP008 or EP009? I think...