• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Clemont's Got A Secret (812)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This episode was cool. It was nice to see Clemont's Gym Pokemon. Looking forward to Ash's and Clemont's battle in the future.

I hope those new rookie pokemon trainers don't use a froakie against Magnemite or Magneton thinking it would be effective. I know I got misinformed because of Ash's illogical choices.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I hope those new rookie pokemon trainers don't use a froakie against Magnemite or Magneton thinking it would be effective. I know I got misinformed because of Ash's illogical choices.

not all trainers are very clever with the combat chart types, it was only luck i guess that magnemite and magneton didn't do much electric attack to ash's froakie.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Do you know the attack Froakie used against the steel/electric type pokemons.

it was just its fur called frubbles, not some sort of pokemon attack.

NPT

Just a member
Clemont's Got A Secret!

Whoa, Clemont and Bonnie's Dad Meyer was pretty friendly! lol, he revealed Clemont's secret before leaving. I knew that Clemont is the Gym Leader in the games, but I didn't expect that he was still technically the Gym Leader and just created a robot to take care of his Gym Leader duties so that he can get more time to invent gadgets. That was a unique solution for him to not be in the Gym and be able to travel with Ash. LOL, Ash and Serena's reaction to Clemont being a gym leader is priceless. Anyway, Clemont's invention has taken over the Lumiose gym, so he needs to beat his own invention .... Clembot! It was nice to see Ash and Serena helping Clemont. Also, I liked how happy Heliolisk was to see Clemont again.

The battle itself was pretty good. Despite not having confidence in his inexperienced Bunnelby, Clemont had some pretty good strategies. The Dig/ Double Team combo was awesome, and it's funny seeing all the Bunnelby tumbling out of there like that. Because of the good animation, good stratgies and lack of stock backgrounds, I'm really loving the battles in the XY series.

I liked how Ash congratulated Clemont after he defeated Clembot. It showed that they are pretty good friends already. Their Dad Meyer did take the news of going on a journey really well, and approved it. Well, As long as they have Pokemon and travel with friends, they're usually perfectly fine with it. At least he got to meet their new friends in person, rather than through the phone like what happened with Dawn and Serena's mothers. From the nice interactions of Ash and the others, they seem like a family to me.

Clemont wanting to get more courage by traveling with Ash was a pretty good reason to keep traveling with him. He is a good trainer, but his hesitation to face the robot at first showed that he does lack the confident in himself and in his Pokemon that Ash has, so traveling to help him on that level is a good reason all things considered. It's cool when Ash said he wanted to battle against Clemont. Knowing that he's going to battle Clemont eventually should help to make their interactions more interesting, especially when Ash gets four badges, and it should make their battle more intense as well. Hopefully Clemont will either catch more Pokemon by the time he faces Ash or he'll have access to his gym again, but he seems to be pretty good at improving on his own. I loved the 'sleepover' scene at the end, Bonnie's Tyrantrum pajama was cute.

Overall, this was a really good Clemont-focused episode. The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Meyer's dumb comment about Serena being Clemont's girlfriend, other than that, everything was cool.

As for the dub, this episode kept 4 pieces of original music( when Ash and co. battles Clemont's Magnemite, the gym OST, a music during the battle between Bunnelby and Heliolisk, and the music at the end of the episode) which is not much ... but at least it's better than the past episodes where they kept like only 3 pieces of the japanese music. I am glad that TPCI kept Clemont's face on the title card! Geez, I was so disappointed when TPCI removed Serena's face from the title screen of "Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race". Thank goodness they didn't mess up the title screen this time.

Last edited:

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Also, I liked how happy Heliolisk was to see Clemont again.

heliolisk is known to be a happy pokemon if i'm not mistaken

I was so disappointed when TPCI removed Serena's face from the title screen of "Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race". Thank goodness they didn't mess up the title screen this time.

you cannot blame the dubber directors for the serena episode, it was planned i think - yeah i like how they keep clemont face in this episode to truly show that is indeed a clemont episode to begin with.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I highly doubt Ash's face being in the title card instead of Serena in the dub for the Rhyhorn was a dub edit, especially when Clemont's was kept in this episode. I mean they don't have any point of changing it, TPCI never does pointless edits. My guess is it was the result of an error of them not getting the title card so they had to use one from a previous episode (with the title edited) or the Ash card was made first which TPCI were given, but then it was decided to use a Serena one for the airing in Japan.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I definitely think this was the best dubbed episode so far, or at least since the preview episodes. Music was good all the way through, and meyer's voice is cool. I also really liked ash's tone this episode because it seems like if this were a bw episode, sarah's voice for him would be hyperactive and all over the place.

zhixun

I was kind of hoping that Satoshi was having a gym match in a bot but now this is impossible as they said clearly at the end of episode. Citron is a good inventor and the AI is awesome such that it can level up Elezard while he was away. Horubee did a great job there to knock out Elezard which builds up Citron's confidence.

Excellent episode. By far the best XY episode to date: Clemont really made it all worthwhile, and Bonnie was not obnoxious or annoying here, either. Serena, though, was terrible and just inactive almost the whole episode.

Ash was...more or less just the same as Serena, only trying to help Clemont out a bit more.

The English dub script was...wow, first English script since AG145 English dubbed that's been decent-- that was the last episode 4Kids dubbed, too. A shame the very next dub episode TPCi (see: XY010 dubbed/"Mega Mega Meowth Madness"), as expected, regressed and went back to the terrible English dub scripts they've been creating for the last 7+ years laden with obnoxious rad-isms and cool speech from Ash I've come to loathe as well as despise (e.g. "o'course/ya see/kay/ya know/hi-ya/that's the way we roll/etc.), and Team Rocket's blatant gibberish alliterations and assonance returned the following episode after this one dubbed as well in full force.

The voice acting here was...well, bad: Ash's "encouragement" towards Clemont was more of him yelling angrily and shouting at Clemont than helping out in the English dub, Sarah's voice for Ash was obviously way too deep here for a kid who is supposedly 10 (he sounded like 17 and smoking cigarettes), Clemont sounded 30 even though his actor's acting was great, Haven was way off as Serena sounding more like a 25 year old woman as Serena, Alyson went back to voicing Bonnie with a thick accent and like a woman's voice out of a little girl. So, yeah, very jarring in that regard.

Meyer's voice actor was...I guess...Tom Wayland more or less pulling a Bill Rogers (aka using a really deep or grating voice), I guess? Sounded bad to me, but Chris Niosi (aka Kirbopher) as that trainer outside the Gym takes the cake for the worst-- just an awful performance.

Whoever voiced Clembot was excellent (Michael Liscio Jr most likely, or if not him, Marc Thompson?), though: easily the best VA performance of the English dubbed episode.

ORG JPN: 90/100
Dubbed: 74/100-- WHY can't the scripts be this decent?

zhixun

Excellent episode. By far the best XY episode to date: Clemont really made it all worthwhile, and Bonnie was not obnoxious or annoying here, either. Serena, though, was terrible and just inactive almost the whole episode.

Ash was...more or less just the same as Serena, only trying to help Clemont out a bit more.

The English dub script was...wow, first English script since AG145 English dubbed that's been decent-- that was the last episode 4Kids dubbed, too. A shame the very next dub episode TPCi (see: XY010 dubbed/"Mega Mega Meowth Madness"), as expected, regressed and went back to the terrible English dub scripts they've been creating for the last 7+ years laden with obnoxious rad-isms and cool speech from Ash I've come to loathe as well as despise (e.g. "o'course/ya see/kay/ya know/hi-ya/that's the way we roll/etc.), and Team Rocket's blatant gibberish alliterations and assonance returned the following episode after this one dubbed as well in full force.

The voice acting here was...well, bad: Ash's "encouragement" towards Clemont was more of him yelling angrily and shouting at Clemont than helping out in the English dub, Sarah's voice for Ash was obviously way too deep here for a kid who is supposedly 10 (he sounded like 17 and smoking cigarettes), Clemont sounded 30 even though his actor's acting was great, Haven was way off as Serena sounding more like a 25 year old woman as Serena, Alyson went back to voicing Bonnie with a thick accent and like a woman's voice out of a little girl. So, yeah, very jarring in that regard.

Meyer's voice actor was...I guess...Tom Wayland more or less pulling a Bill Rogers (aka using a really deep or grating voice), I guess? Sounded bad to me, but Chris Niosi (aka Kirbopher) as that trainer outside the Gym takes the cake for the worst-- just an awful performance.

Whoever voiced Clembot was excellent (Michael Liscio Jr most likely, or if not him, Marc Thompson?), though: easily the best VA performance of the English dubbed episode.

ORG JPN: 90/100
Dubbed: 74/100-- WHY can't the scripts be this decent?

I think it is reasonable for Citron to have a deeper voice since his age is never revealed and may be in the twenties. I really admire you can distinguish people's voices at different ages. This is a Citron's episode so we can not expect too much from Satoshi and Serena being active there.

I think it is reasonable for Citron to have a deeper voice since his age is never revealed and may be in the twenties. I really admire you can distinguish people's voices at different ages. This is a Citron's episode so we can not expect too much from Satoshi and Serena being active there.

Possibly, man. Thanks very much: I appreciate it. Good points there. :)

NPT

Just a member
heliolisk is known to be a happy pokemon if i'm not mistaken

Yeah, I know that. I was just pointing out that Heliolisk seemed happier to see its trainer Clemont. That's all.

you cannot blame the dubber directors for the serena episode, it was planned i think - yeah i like how they keep clemont face in this episode to truly show that is indeed a clemont episode to begin with.

Then why did they replace Clemont's face with Ash's face in the title screen of XY015?

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
I think it is reasonable for Citron to have a deeper voice since his age is never revealed and may be in the twenties. I really admire you can distinguish people's voices at different ages.
The Pokémon anime often has 10 year old or near that characters who sound older than they should (especially in the dub).

Paul being a big example of this; he has the most mature sounding voice for a 10/11 years old in both Japanese and English.

Last edited: