• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ClicheStorm 2 (PG-13)

Hmm. Romance is in the air, with Curtis and Rosa. Does this mean that Rosa and Nate will finally be able to convince everyone that they're not dating? Or is this effort as doomed to failure as all their previous attempts have been> [/jk]

And Triste's temporal meddling has slightly further-reaching indications than was first implicated. Presumably Rosa's not at full strength despite the temporal mess, as otherwise I suspect a good deal more storm surges would have happened.

And lastly, blueprints. Why blueprints? I don't know, I just like saying the word.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 42: Anti-Pirate Protocol

The unseasonal icy weather continued to build all over Unova. Temperatures were still above freezing, more suited for jackets than coats. But the snow and ice stayed stubbornly, refusing to melt. Now Opelucid and Lacunosa were both frozen over like Driftviel, with tall spires of ice crystals rising from the ground. The spires were arranged in a splash pattern around the points where the Plasma frigate air ship had been shooting its cannon at. If it kept this up, Unova was going to look like an arctic region before long. Maybe even truly feel like one too, as average temperatures were slowly but steadily declining.

Hilda's pirate group met at the southern lip of the crater of Giant Chasm. This area was no different than it was in the middle of winter: the snow was already thick on the ground, heavy on the trees. Ice gave a sparkling quality to everything and it was not too far from freezing here. A lot of the trees in the bottom part of the crater were damaged, knocked over to leave a flat area where some helicopters might be able to land. Or a single frigate airship, which was currently hovering twenty feet in the air while refueling. Knowing about this fueling station was a huge advantage in getting this done quickly.

And everyone was dressed for the occasion, as pirates. Even Drayden, who had added a copy of his gym's badge onto the green jacket. They did have to keep the uniform warm to keep out the crater's cold, but the green, white, and gold uniforms still had an elaborate marine style that any pirate would appreciate. Most of them were the same, just with minor personal embellishments: long jacket, pants, a striped shirt, bandanas with signs of the three legendary dragon, and boots that worked for this environment.

There were a few exceptions. Some of the girls, Hilda, Rosa, and Bianca, had added corsets and had different cuts to their clothes so that the party had some 'saucy pirate ladies' along (she'd offered to add Iris to the group, but she declined that in favor of wearing various League badges on a sash). Zekrom took it a step further on her own accord: her uniform was black and gold with small green accents (and spikes; she seemed to like that). On the other end of the modesty scale, Curtis was wearing an oversized white and gold hooded cloak, as his role in this was rather different.

Although some expected Hilda to be the most elaborate there, the one dressed as their captain was N (Hilda claimed that she was going to be the first mate instead, once they got possession of the ship). He had a green and gold overcoat that looked like it could have come from old-fashioned aristocracy, along with embellished boots, white gloves, and a sea captain's hat with long feathers from Rune. “This fits perfectly,” N said the moment he saw Hilda that day. “How long have you been planning this?”

“The mission?” she asked innocently. “Just a few days. I have some connections, and Curtis has some more that got it all together that much faster.”

“I mean the outfit,” N said.

Hilda grinned. “Maybe longer than that? Or maybe that's not the outfit I wanted you in and I just happened to have good measurements on you.”

“I think we should discuss that later,” he replied.

“I feel a little embarrassed,” Bianca said. “You wear this much better, Hilda. But I really couldn't pass up on the fun.”

“You look good,” she reassured her. “And it will be worth it.” Then she pulled her friend in closer and added in a whisper, “Already is worth it to see him dolled up like that.”

“But it would be better in the other outfit,” she whispered back, making them both giggle.

Not far from them, Curtis had some binoculars he was using to observe the crew. “They've disconnected the fuel line now... it should be closed up shortly.”

Hilda nodded. “Good.”

“Do you have the shield generator targeted?” N asked Zekrom.

Her eyes hadn't left the ship for the past ten minutes; she nodded. “They haven't activated it yet. I can take it out easily.”

N then looked over the group; most of them had Pokemon capable of flying them at least a short distance: Nate with Rune the Sigilyph, Rosa with Grim the Swanna, Drayden with a Druddgion (who could make it in a single leap, most likely), Iris with the same, Cheren with an Unfezant, Bianca with a Swoobat, Hugh also with an Unfezant, himself with Hilbert's Braviary Regal, and Hilda would be borrowing Nate's Golurk Signet to get over there. Rood and his crew from the camps would be tackling the ship from another angle.

“Are our Pokemon and Trainers ready?” When he got positive responses from both groups, he shifted his hat and turned back to the ship. “All right, then, we're taking down that ship and claiming it for our own. Zekrom.... FIRE!”

A bolt of black lightning tore through the air, striking the frigate in two locations: near the back lift engines that kept the ship aloft and up near the top where an otherwise innocuous square of metal sat. The back engine immediately sputtered out, causing the front engine to whine as it attempted to keep the ship in the air. The whine then turned to a sharp crack and the ship crashed to the ground. Before the dust reached them, N's crew took to the air and landed on the deck.

There were half a dozen of the black-clad Neo Plasma members up there, already concerned about the ship getting knocked out of the air with little warning. Others were coming out of the lower decks, along with smoke from one of the stairways. They stared at the group of them in disbelief and shock, more so when N strode forward, shouting, “Neo Plasma, stand down this instant! I am N and I've come to take control of this ship from you. Resist at your own risk.”

“Wait, N, you, what?” one of the nearest Neo Plasma members sputtered.

“I don't think we're supposed to listen to the traitor,” another said, but looked warily at the Trainers and Pokemon with him, all with varying degrees of fame in the region.

“You want to challenge us?” Drayden asked in a manner that made them back up.

Then someone appeared in the center of the deck, having teleported a few feet from N and the others. To the surprise of some and expectations of others, it was Colress, with Triste along as always. His computer visor covered one eye, but the other had dark rings under it. “What in the name of the gods is going on up here?” he demanded grouchily.

“Um, well, these people are trying to take the ship from us, I guess?” one of them said.

Colress frowned and put his hands on his hips. “Yeah, I can see that. And? Why aren't you fighting them off? The anti-pirate protocol is in the manual for a reason.”

“That was in the manual?” another one asked, although a few were quicker on the uptake.

“I wanted to have anti-piracy drills, but no, they said it was a waste of time and money... bah, get on with it!” Colress yawned, then shook his head as if he wasn't entirely awake.

“Geez, like this is going to be a challenge,” Iris said. Soon Pokemon battles were breaking out around them.

N had heard that this man had helped them out. But to find him here and now? Wondering what his purpose was in all this, N asked, “Are you the leader of this group?”

“I'm the leader insofar as I own, modify, and maintain this ship,” Colress said, rubbing his head. “Among other research. But for making the actual decisions, nah. Otherwise, I wouldn't be cracking open caffeine drinks for five days straight. Which reminds me, damn you for wrecking the engines. That's even more work on my plate, especially since we're caught out of the water needing repairs.” He didn't speak with any bitterness or anger, though. It was more like going through the motions, which if he hadn't gotten much sleep this week might well be what was happening.

“Then who does make the decisions?” N asked.

“I think you know very well who does,” he said. “And... hey you, where the hell is Ghetsis?”

The Neo Plasma member who'd been trying to retreat out of the battles stopped, looking pale. “Ah, sir, should you really be...?”

“I've been awake for far too long and when I finally get a chance to sleep, the ship crashes, so I don't even care at this point, so just tell me right now before I do something I’ll regret later. I at least know that the dragon isn't on board any more.”

Perhaps feeling that too much was out already, the man answered, “Ah, I think he's going to be mad at you, but he took them and the Shadow Triad into the cave back there.”

“They will be more powerful in there, but we can still make this work,” Zekrom said.

“Fine, well there you go,” Colress said. Triste poked him in the cheek. “Yeah, yeah, I know. So what're you lot doing here? I doubt you're here to sell cookies.”

“Drayden, will you get this man captive and taken care of?” N asked as the Gym Leader came out of his battle. “He knows how the ship works, so we want him watched closely.”

“I’ll handle him,” Drayden said. “But if you're going after the Triad, make sure you have several others with you.”

N nodded. “Right.”

“Oh, them, them, yeah,” Colress said, yawning again. “Triste, did you swap out the energy drink on me? Bah, whatever. If you only meet with two of them, don't worry. Third one's dead already, and the two girls are not in the best of shape. Stubborn as a Tauros, though, and they won't listen to me when I say they shouldn't be fighting or working.”

“Drayden, you're in charge here now,” N said, stepping back. “Hilda!” Then he had to make quick decisions on who else to take, if two of the Triad were there. “Rosa, Nate, you guys too! Ghetsis isn't here.” He glanced to Zekrom. “Which cave?”

She pointed to the north, where a large hole in a rock wall was. “That one.”

There was a clanking from the other side of the ship; the team with Rood must have gotten the side door open and a ramp lowered for them. They'd be in soon. N and the three he had called went for the opposite side, had their Pokemon help them get to the ground, then ran for the cave up north. A frigid breeze came from the opening, but it smelled strongly of Reshiram's fire as well.

In an icy passage in between the entrance and the main room, they found the two Shadow Triad women waiting. “So that was you,” the Poison one said. “I thought it was a bit spectacular for you to be involved.”

“Probably her influence,” the Ghost one said.

“I'm going in to stop him,” N said. “Not even you are going to dissuade me from that.”

“Maybe not us, but what about him?”

Then the other pointed at Rosa. “You killed our brother. Not that it matters; we'd rather be eliminated if we grow weak. But we will eliminate you to prove our strength.”

“I didn't mean to kill him,” she replied. “But you three are strong, without a good set of morals to guide you. So I’m not going to let you hurt others just because you're strong.”

“And I won't let you hurt her,” Nate said. “Through my Pokemon, at least.”

“It's pitiful that you have to rely on them,” one of the Triad said.

“Okay, so if you lot are gonna pick fights with each other, we're out of here,” Hilda said, grabbing N and running with him further into the cavern. Zekrom followed after. “They'll be okay, I’m sure.”

“I know,” N said. “At least we know it'll only be the two of them.”

They slowed as they entered the main chamber. Shadows flickered as if lit by candlelight all throughout the cavern, reflected a thousand fold due to the many reflective ice surfaces. In the center of the cavern, there was Kyurem and Reshiram, fused into one being. He had the same general body shape as Reshiram, but with sturdy plates of armor from Kyurem. His scales shone with a shine like polished ice, with a vibrant fiery glow could be seen flowing like blood through his body. However, his eyes showed no expression and he barely reacted to any of them coming in.

On the other hand, Ghetsis looked on them with such hatred that it seemed his gaze would wither plants. But he didn't inspire such intimidation now. N knew that he was rotten to the core, and it seemed that the rottenness had come out onto the surface. He wasn't able to stand up straight, not even with the assistance of his overly elaborate cane. While he had once gone for impressive outfits, his cloak was now tattered and burnt gray; even his other clothes suffered from lack of care and attention. He didn't look powerful at all, rather like he was grasping desperately at former glory. Even Colress in a rumpled state of sleep deprivation was more impressive than Ghetsis was now. Yet that hateful gleam told that he was still dangerous to cross.

But N had Hilda to back him up, along with all the others who were with them. And he knew more now, especially that he couldn't trust this man's words or take them to heart. “Father, I’m here to put an end to your ambitions,” N said.

“You look ridiculous,” Ghetsis said, sneering.

“Like you're any better,” N replied. This wasn't how he would expect this conversation to start.

Ghetsis thumped his cane on the floor. “Don't question me, traitor! I'm the one in charge around here; no one can question me. Why would you even think you can? You're nothing but a weak little puppet, not even human. Nothing you can do would ever amount to anything.”

“That may be who I was,” N said. “But things have changed. I've seen the world outside your control with my own eyes; I've been able to question and learn things without your interference. You can't control me anymore, and I’m not going to let you take control over everyone.”

“Hah, what kind of nonsense does he think he's mewling?” Ghetsis said, glancing over at the dragon at his side. “There's nothing he could do, nothing, that could best me. Kyurem! Take Zekrom from him, now!”

The Kyurem-Reshiram dragon shifted finally, lifting his head. “Zekrom, free them!” N called.

“Of course,” she said, not even bothering to shift out of her human form as she shot out a bolt of black lightning again, this time striking her brothers. Something snapped and flew off of the back of his neck. Whatever it was, a long cord sprouted from his back, whipping out towards Zekrom. She stood her ground for a second, making her hair fly and sparks swirl. Then she leaped twelve feet into the air to avoid getting caught... only to have herself get caught anyways when Kyurem-Reshiram corrected the cord's course and absorbed her into them.

Ghetsis laughed in triumph. “And you did exactly what I wanted you to! Now I have control over the Great Zen Dragon and no one can stop me.”

“Unless we meant to have that happen,” Hilda said, finally speaking up as a brilliant light surrounded the dragons.

“You're just bluffing, you witch!” Ghetsis accused, shaking a fist at her. “I know your tricks. Besides, shouldn't you be dead?”

“No, and you gave me the means to get back home safely, so thanks!” She grinned cheekily at him.

“WHAT?” he roared, but just after he did, the Great Dragon roared in a confused fury. A rumble of cracking earth was heard around them, so N drew Hilda close to him, preparing something Hilbert had taught him. The ice cave exploded outward with a force expelled from the Great Dragon. Using Detect, N was able to pull himself and Hilda to a spot where no dangerous debris fell on them.

The Great Dragon was massive, twice the height that any of the three had been. Aspects of each could be seen in it: black scales from Zekrom, white fur from Reshiram, gray armor from Kyurem. Yet it had a graceful form with its power, blending them all into one cohesive whole. One eye was blue and the other eye was red, but neither seemed to focus outward well. Something within it had it in conflict, imbalanced.

Ghetsis had been knocked onto his knees, losing his cane. The emblem it held had shattered into a dozen pieces, lying on the ground. However, it seemed that he had gotten lucky being by the Great Dragon, and thus not as exposed to falling debris.

Before long, Rosa bounded over to them as Keldeo. “You two okay?” she asked. “Nate and I avoided the explosion, but the Shadow pair wasn't as lucky.”

“We're fine,” Hilda said. But then the dragon roared and it didn't sound happy.

Ghetsis started laughing. “I knew that would fail... everyone fails me! All of you! I'm the only one who can succeed, only me, for I am perfection! Fine, then if I can't rule the world, at least I released the agent of its destruction. None of you deserve to live.”

“I don't think so,” Hilda said. Then, from the ship, there came the sound of Curtis singing.

“You're the pitiful one here,” N said. “I don't need you anymore. The world doesn't need you. No one needs you. And we won't let you hurt others anymore, no matter what you say.”

“Shut up, you stupid boy!” Ghetsis said, snarling once again. “What, do you expect some sappy song to solve everything?”

“Not everything, but,” N started to say, but then the Great Dragon interrupted again, this time with a confused sorrowful sound. N couldn't understand the words that Curtis was singing, but the meaning came through nevertheless. His song was one of worship to the Great Dragon, but also of sympathy. The Great Dragon, so powerful that it secluded itself away from others despite its great love for them. This was a song that called on the dragon, not asking for its protection or assistance, but asking for a moment of respectful company. The singer would be a priest or priestess looking to befriend the Great Dragon, learning what it would teach to pass on to the people, then bringing back the people's wishes and prayers to the dragon. Although it surely would know of this, the song was enough to soothe dragon and draw it to Curtis, dressed as one of the ancient priests to further keep it calm until they could get it separated into Kyurem, Reshiram, and Zekrom again.

“You will not succeed!” Ghetsis said, bringing out a single Pokeball and releasing his crazed Hydreigon. The small dragon began cackling immediately, setting its eyes on the Great Dragon.

N immediately blew it out of the sky with Hyper Beam. No need to hold back on that particular Pokemon, just as insane as its Trainer. And then Ghetsis had no other Pokemon. He had nowhere to hide, no power left to rely on to fight for him. And no way to escape, since he had thrown away the Sinnoh guardians' orbs and none of the Shadow Triad was in any condition to teleport him away. He started laughing again, ranting with increasingly unwound logic as they got him secured to be turned over to the police.

-+-

Back at the ship, the Neo Plasma members had been overwhelmed by the number of talented Trainers in the ship invasion group. Colress had given up peacefully, although he was slightly incoherent from lack of sleep. But they needed him awake to do two things immediately. One, make sure that plenty of space on the deck got clear, and two, activate the ship's broadcasting equipment and get a microphone to Curtis. Now he was asleep, despite the broadcast being set at the highest volume to send Curtis' song to the Great Dragon.

Although he saw the dragon flying towards the ship, Curtis continued singing until it landed on the deck in front of him. The metal deck creaked and groaned from the weight, but held as Curtis passed off the microphone, continuing to sing until he got the Great Dragon to lower its head to him. He put his hand on its snout and stroked it. “It's okay,” he said soothingly, in the way that he'd sing a lullaby. “You're among friends. We're going to get things sorted out. Listen, I know you were manipulated into rejoining each other, but we would like you to separate into your three selves instead. If you could think clearly, you'd remember why. Please, stay calm and think. Remember us.” He started singing the song again, softer.

But for any further, he didn’t know what to do. Triste did. Leaving Colress to be watched over by Drayden, the Beheeyem floated over to Curtis and the Great Dragon in order to enter the latter's mind.

Kyurem's mind had been a frigid expanse of space, nothing but nothingness with the small fragment of his personality trapped inside. The mind of the Great Dragon was far far more. It was everything, including nothing. It was nearly crushing in how overwhelming it was, but Triste had learned with Kyurem. He was able to put the overwhelming nature out of his own mind and pursue the three personalities within.

And there they were, three dragons even though they currently existed as one. Triste found them in a space like the top of Dragonspiral Tower, but in much better repair with plants and flowers decorating it. Reshiram was leaning against a pillar, looking weary with his neck drooping as if he'd had a long hard day. Kyurem was crouched down, with his body pulled in around itself in a way that made him seem a lot smaller than the other two. And then Zekrom was standing there, doing better but covered with frost crystals. She looked over at him. “Oh, it's you, the little flirt.”

“Hello again,” he said, drifting anxiously. “Um, well... I’m sorry about that. It was kind of an impulse; I’m usually not like that. But then, that's also the reason why we're here. I'm partly to blame for all this.”

“How's that?” she asked. Reshiram was looking at him now, although Kyurem still wasn't paying attention.

He told them about how Colress was the leader of Team Plasma now, in a sense, and that in trying to please him, Triste had taken hairs from her when he'd asked to touch them. That and some hairs from Reshiram made the plate that switched Kyurem to his original state of an unthinking shell, and then Triste had been spending a lot of effort ever since trying to undo that while figuring out if Colress really cared about him. It was embarrassing to admit to that. But, telling them how things had come to this should help them find how to come out of it.

“I came in hoping I could convince you to pull yourself back into three beings instead of one,” he finished with. “And the people out there are trying to talk you into it, but it wasn't clear how much got through to you three and how much went to the Great Dragon.”

“We're aware of them, but we also have to work together on a mental level to do anything as the Great Dragon,” Reshiram said. “And it's been so long, during which we've all developed independent personalities, that it's taking quite some effort to coordinate as individuals together instead of an individual divided.”

“We very nearly lost that when I was pulled in,” Zekrom said. “But my hope was that I could keep myself together long enough to shake you two apart, then agree to split.”

“So you could have undone yourselves on your own?” Triste asked.

“You're helping,” Reshiram said, getting back to standing on his own. “Knowing that you're in our mind, I want to focus on getting apart with you safe. And I believe that you paid the price for your wrongs in full.”

“Yes, you should continue your focus on keeping Colress in check,” Zekrom agreed. “He needs your support more than ever. Once we manage to get apart, you've done what you need to help us. Thank you.”

“I only did what I had to,” Triste said, feeling humbled by their benevolence. He'd helped to inflict this situation on them, and they were thanking him for helping them out instead. “What about Kyurem?”

“I haven't been able to reach him well,” Reshiram said. “My head and heart's been cloudy recently, but not as badly as his. I even told him that Hilda was back home, and that she's here now.”

“Did he hear the song?” As he said it, Curtis' voice broke through the depths of the Great Dragon's mind. “There are those that want to be your friend out there, Kyurem. They want you back. That's why he's been singing, not for any one of you, but for all three of you. Come on out.”

That got Kyurem to react, opening his eyes. Triste then found himself surrounded by blackness, and electricity. “You need to get out, or you might get hurt by this,” Zekrom said. Her hair in her human form was long now, and as he'd thought, much prettier than when it was short. She laughed a little at that thought from him, then gently nudged him the rest of the way out of the mind of the Great Dragon.

As they came back into reality, the Great Dragon was gone. Instead, the three legendary guardians of Unova were flying in the air above the fallen ship. Reshiram immediately flew south, heading for Opelucid where his partner was. Zekrom landed outside the ship, waiting on N to return to her. Overhead, Kyurem looked down at the group that had rescued him for a moment, then gave a long trumpeting call to banish the unseasonal ice and snow. However, he vanished as well.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 43: Final Montage

Rosa was visiting home for a couple of days. Her room was like always, as her parents had just made sure things were tidy. While Bard knew this place, it was new to the rest. They poked around and looked while the Dewott sat by her on the living room couch. Her mother was sitting in a chair nearby. “It is nice to have you back,” she said with a smile. “It seems like it's been a long time.”

She nodded. “Yeah, it does. But it's only been, what, four months? You did come and visit us in Castelia that once, but even then, so much happened.”

“Right.” She smiled. “Did you make that boy Nate your boyfriend?”

“No,” she said, giggling. “You should know... I thought I told you that I was dating Curtis now.”

“Oh right, that one you were phone pals with,” she said. “I haven't met him, so I don't know what to think.”

Rosa leaned on the arm of the chair. “He's actually Christoph, the music star!”

“Really?” she asked, her eyes widening. “That's quite a lucky draw.”

Lucky... it made her realize something. “Yeah, but then, it's hardly the strangest or luckiest thing that happened to me. Meeting Nate was strange and lucky enough, since he came from another world. And now he's going to become League Champion. I know he will, as he was already thinking over what to do next and he's out working on that. Then I found out that I'm actually a legendary Pokemon, of my absolute favorite type, and I’ve got all these wonderful friends I made, human and Pokemon.”

“Well I’m just glad that you still consider us family,” her mother said with a smile.

“Of course I do,” Rosa said with a grin. “You and Dad did more than I asked for, and I know that even if it's kinda hazy. Then I got to meet two of my heroes, Hilda and Wallace; Hilda's already claimed me as a friend and she pulled me along for that rescue mission without a second thought. And Wallace even gave me a Pokemon. I'm still working out how to raise Hikari, but I think it has something to do with making him look nicer instead of stronger. That just,” she rubbed her head, “makes sense to me.”

“I'd trust your instincts on that,” she said. “But you're right; you have been really fortunate lately. You even acted in some short films, which I know are getting popular.”

“That's what I was missing!” Rosa said, snapping her fingers. “I knew I forgot something.”

Her mother chuckled. “I would say to thank the gods, but then, you're one of them.”

“Maybe I should do it anyhow,” she said, feeling happy. Someone had certainly blessed her. “Although, I’m not entirely sure what I’ll be doing now. I'd think about going back to the Pokestar studios, but Curtis doesn't have a high opinion of them.”

“What about the gyms, huh?” Bard asked, putting his paws on her laps. “We can do it!”

Rosa looked at him. “Oh, the gyms, huh? Well Nate's going to be ahead of us no matter what.”

“Why don't you aim to try beating him, whether he becomes champion or not?” her mother asked. “Though chasing after that win could take some time, you and your friends here might be able to pull it off.”

“Yeah, they're good. Wouldn't that make him my rival?” She thought about it, then smiled. “Hah, but that would surprise him! I wonder how long I can keep it from him.”

-+-

Nate came out of the office of Join Avenue and let out a deep breath. He'd just got done talking with Mr. Cartridge, the man who put him in charge of this place. After managing to fill every stall with busy little shops and services, he wanted to clarify just how much he really owned this place. He'd managed to consult a friendly business lawyer about it, but talking with his initial investor, so to speak, was still a little worrisome. He liked this place, and the workers and customers loved it, so he didn't want it to get taken away and changed.

Fortunately, the rich man had hardly noticed how he was doing. Cartridge gave him a revenue challenge to meet before he would turn over all the paperwork. And the tax duties; he had used it in an attempt to make Nate rethink trying to challenge him legally, perhaps. Still, given the Avenue's current revenue, the challenge seemed doable.

“Hey, Nate!” an unfamiliar voice called out. Even though he quickly found the person, he couldn't put a name to his face until he recognized Reshiram in human form coming with him.

“Hi Hilbert,” Nate said, nodding. “Nice to see you up and around. Hello Reshiram.”

“Hello,” Reshiram said, nodding back.

“Well I'm not supposed to be exerting myself too much at the moment, but a friend asked to meet me here,” Hilbert said. “This is a lively place.” They talked for a while. Eventually, Hilbert asked, “So you've got everything cleared up with your memory?”

“More or less,” Nate said with a shrug. “I don't really remember a lot until the point where I came to this world. But given what I remember and what Hilda's told me, I know enough that I don't wonder too much. Except one thing.”

“What thing?” Hilbert asked.

“The video game that brought me here. I feel like someone gave it to me, and I’m pretty sure it was a woman. I didn't try starting it until Hilda showed up and her Gothitelle picked up an aberration in space around it. So when I started a new game on it, I got shifted here. It's just an odd thing that I can't explain, and I’m not sure I can get an explanation when I no longer have it.”

He crossed his arms over his chest, looking thoughtful. “Huh, yeah, it'd be hard to find anything out about it. If anyone, Giratina might be able to help.” Then he raised his eyebrows and looked over at Reshiram. “Unless you know something?”

“It may be more confusing to know than not,” Reshiram said, then gave Nate a critical look. “Do you really what to know?”

“I mostly want to know why I ended up with it,” Nate said. “It's good that it did, but kind of suspicious... especially when you're asking me if I want to know the truth.”

His gaze held, then relented as he sighed. “There are some truths that must be hidden, and many that are better to find for yourself. But to know that... we need to be careful, although I'm sure she knows that. Let's go talk to her.”

“Talk to who, where?” Hilbert asked, to which Reshiram merely pointed over to the stall that was used as an extension for a used book store.

There was a familiar looking woman there, although like with Hilbert, Nate couldn't quite figure out who she was and how he knew her. She blended into the crowd really well, save for the fact that she had a shoulder-slung bookbag that seemed to hold only one immense book. Wait, a woman with an immense book? There was just one Pokemon with her this time, a Gallade. Or was that a Gardevoir with a severely stunted skirt?

The three of them walked over, but she was immersed in comparing books. “Excuse me, but you...” Nate said, trying to find the words to talk with her. “Sorry, I feel like I should know your name, but we met on the ferry a few months back?”

She grinned, trying to finish skimming the book she was considering. “I told you, call me Ysabell.” She looked up and waved. “Hi Nate, hi Hilbert. Sorry Reshiram.” The Gallade with her looked over them sharply, as if assessing how much of a threat or annoyance they'd be.

For a moment, the dragon was irked. He calmed himself quickly. “You were right, so I'll forgive you. Why are you still around?”

“Just a little bit!” she insisted, closing the book in hand. “Got to check in on a couple of things, tie up a few loose threads. Unless I forgot one somewhere. It's been a while in the works.”

“Are you two friends?” Hilbert asked.

Ysabell giggled and Reshiram grumbled, putting his hand on his forehead. “Don't let her appearance fool you. She has great power and I knew the instant she arrived in Unova. Sure, she's helped on a few things, but she gives me a headache.”

“Hey, you guys are the ones who do great things,” she said. “I just watch and record. Sort of, you know. But I think it's fine for me to move on now. I hear Kalos is a fun place; I was checking into some travel guides and books of legends about a black flower.”

“What do you mean by watch and record?” Nate asked. “I thought you were a fortune teller.”

She nodded. “I am, and a bit more. But some things are better left unsaid, or else it's like a different fiber in the weave and you can't help but notice it every time you look at the fabric. Or the whole thing comes undone, and we don't want that to happen.”

“Hey, that's...” he felt a little lightheaded. “That's like what you said before. You were the one gave me that strange game, weren't you?”

“Wasn't it fun?” she said with a smile.

“But why did it have the power to send me here? And for that matter, how come you can travel between worlds? Because otherwise it couldn't be you.” He rubbed his head. “I think I know what you mean, Reshiram.”

“That I’m a headache?” she asked, tilting her head. “I know. Well about that, I can't really tell you. At least not exactly.” She paused, putting a hand on her large book. “Hey, so, when you're wr... fortune telling, you notice points where history could have gone another way. And sometimes, I get curious about it and check my book to see what happened on the missed path. Some of those alternate histories remain sturdy, like their own stories. But other times, the damage resulting from what went wrong is far too great. The world becomes unstable and weak.”

“We knew that, since that's what happened to my original world,” Nate said.

She smiled warmly at him. “Yeah. That's how I found you, looking into what could have been. It was an awful mess, hardly anything left to salvage aside from totally starting over again. But I saw potential in you and decided to tweak your fortunes. The game was a handy tool in that way. In a way, I'm mostly responsible for a lot of what's happened in recent years.”

“Actually, Ghetsis was...” Hilbert paused, seeming like he was bothered by something. He looked at Reshiram, who nodded, then back to Ysabell. “How were you responsible?”

“Tweaking fates, for good and for ill,” she said, tapping a foot on the floor. “But that's what I do. I do like happy endings, though, so there's that. And you know, back when I met with Nate, Rosa, and Hugh on the ferry, I was planning to let you challenge me to a fight if you figured that out and were mad at me.”

“But if you did tweak fates, then you're responsible for fixing whatever you did wrong, right?” Nate asked. “Things got corrected. And if you're part of the reason that I can be here now, well, I can’t really be mad at you.”

“That's great!” she said cheerfully. “We can be friends.”

“We could still have a battle if you want,” Nate offered. “If that's actually your Gard...” the white and green Pokemon growled, briefly looking hateful, “Um, Gallade. I know you said the others were visiting you or something.”

“She's just visiting me too,” Ysabell said. Then she laughed. “But sorry, I'll have to decline. See, I'm actually really bad at Pokemon battles myself. Even though I could invite a number of powerful allies like Michael here, it'd still be in your favor and I’d rather not bother. Oh, and I should be taking care of a few other things before seeing about visiting Kalos. But thanks for talking to me. I'm glad to see that you've both come out better than you started. And spoil Reshiram for a bit, will you? He deserves it for putting up with me.”

“I can try, but it could be hard getting him to accept it,” Hilbert said. They said goodbye to her as she went to buy the travel guide. Once she and her Pokemon were out of sight, Hilbert asked, “Was that Gallade male or female? I had a hard time telling.”

“Should be male, but if you had trouble figuring it out, who knows?” Nate said.

“Michael's both and not of this world,” Reshiram said. “Not of your former one either. So I don't know his... her.. whatever, story.”

“Is she really a fortune teller?” he asked. Because some of this didn't make sense for a person like that to be doing.

“You'll get worse headaches trying to figure her out any further than that. Besides, it seems she's finally leaving. Hopefully we won't have to worry about her any more. I wonder if I should warn some friends, though...”

“I guess the important thing is that it all turned out well,” Nate said. “So then, how would you like to be spoiled, Reshiram? We have quite a few good stores here.”

“That won't be necessary,” Reshiram said, although it seemed like he was starting to blush.

Hilbert then snapped his fingers. “Oh wait, I remember! That groomer here had offered to schedule you for a session, since it's not that easy to just walk in with a large dragon.”

“You really don't have to,” he repeated, with very little reluctance.

“Well I'm going to pay for it anyhow,” Hilbert said. “Come on, let's go talk with him.”

Nate found himself smiling. Things had turned out well. And even if how it all came to be was still not clear, he felt grateful that it had happened. After all, how many people got a second chance at life as drastic as he had? From a sage who blindly helped a world to collapse, to a local hero who helped save another possibly from a similar fate... and there was still much that he could do. He'd enjoy it.

But first, seeing what would certainly be an amusing grooming session with Reshiram.

-+-

It was a beautiful summer day. The sun was bright and warm, with the plants and trees showing few signs of the artificial cold snap a few weeks back. Along the road out of Nuvema, a group walked away from the small town, a number of Pokemon along with their Trainers, Hilda and N. “They had non-Pokemon creatures there too, like bugs, fish, birds, and small animals,” she said. “But it seemed like most of them ate vegetation, fruits, seeds, and nuts. A few exceptions, but all were of things that the Pokemon would produce, like honey. I met a family of Shuckles who fermented berries in their shells to make juice, wine, and vinegar. They were pretty cool once you got used to the scent.”

“That's good,” N said, visibly relieved. “I know that some Pokemon prey on others; it just makes me feel uneasy, even when I know they don't have the same views as humans.”

“Well it was what your other self created,” she said, but left off as she spotted someone standing in the tall grass. He should have been obvious, from the white hair to the black clothes, but then again he might not have been there a moment before. “Hey Kyurem! There you are; I’ve been looking all over for you. Sheesh, after we go to all that to rescue you and you just take off again.”

He turned to face them. “Sorry,” he said. “I knew what was likely; I just had to think about it. And I had to get used to thinking again.” Kyurem rubbed his head, although his mask seemed more secure now. “I need to stop disrupting our balance, but sometimes I feel myself drifting back into my original state.”

“You should still stick around us,” Zekrom said. “There'll be so much activity that you wouldn't have a chance to feel nothing.”

“Right,” he said, taking a few steps to meet up with them. “Besides, I’ve settled my mind.” He then went to N and put a hand on his shoulder, momentarily startling him. “I don't mind sharing her with you. Just be good to her.”

After a moment trying to figure that out, N bowed his head. “Of course, uh, thank you, I guess.”

“Wait, what do you mean?” Zekrom suddenly asked, sharply narrowing her eyes at her brother.

“I meant what I said,” Kyurem said in a perfect tone of neutrality. It caused Hilda to double over in laughter.

“But what does that mean?” Zekrom said, at the brink of scolding him. “You're acting like you're up to no good again.”

Kyurem shrugged. “Isn't that the role that was set for me by the humans?”

“I don't think it means that you... you...” She slapped her hand on her forehead. “Geez.”

N took Hilda's arm, worried for a moment that she might trip or lose her breath or something. “Wh-what? Hang on, what's going on?”

“Yo-you b-both,” Hilda said, but looking at N's quizzical eyes and Kyurem's prankster smile made her words get choked out by laughs.

“This could be a bad idea,” Zekrom said, worried.

“What, that we'll all be friends?” Kyurem asked.

“Ugh, you'd better just be messing with me,” she grumbled.

Hilda finally got a hold of herself, then pointed at Kyurem, “Man! Why'd you have to go make it so hard to top you now?”

“I thought you'd like it,” he said, finally breaking out a smile.

“Um, could someone please explain what that was all about?” N asked, rubbing his head.

-+-

Colress closed the email, then sat back in his seat. “Another offer on designing an airship,” he said in quiet weariness. “That's another thing Umber got right; even with what I helped do, others see enough value in what I know to keep me out of severe punishment. This doesn't feel right. I'd be relieved if the judge called me back and said that I do have to serve prison time.”

Although he'd been fascinated in watching out the window of his seat, Triste came closer hearing this. The lights on his fingers shifted. From his research and experience, Colress could translate it as, “Don't take it out on yourself. We will do something great someday, more than enough to make up for it.”

“I'm not sure if I can,” he said. He wanted to; he knew he should. “My mind's been skewed for all this time. I've been reading over the battle and training journals of those two kids, reminding me of what I’d been forced to give up. I put the whole world in danger just to see if it would match scientific theory... I don't know where to start with trying to do something better.”

“You've got your proof that loving care is a vital factor in training Pokemon,” Triste signed. “You really should write that paper. And the one on language. We don't need this secret for our friendship to be special.”

He smiled and took Triste's small foot. Since they used their hands to communicate, this was a a gesture more equal to a handshake among humans. “You're right, we don't. Giving the linguists one Pokemon language in hopes they can find a key to others, that would make a lot of people and Pokemon happy. I'm not sure it alone would be enough... but we'll try all we can.”

Their conversation was disrupted by an announcement that the plane was going to land soon. Colress buckled himself in, with Triste managing his own belt with telekinesis. Trying to calm his nerves, Colress was quiet through the landing. He wanted this to turn out good. He hoped it would and knew there weren't many reasons for it to go wrong. Still, there was a nagging doubt that when all of the truth came out, he wouldn't be accepted. It was too late to avoid this, though.

After coming through the gate and into the airport lobby, he glanced around until he spotted the sign for the missing child support group. Triste came up and tapped his visor. Right, he had it over his eye so often that he neglected to notice it. Colress shifted the visor back as he headed over to the sign, to finally reunite with his parents.

There were tears with the hugs, yet he found himself thinking that he knew what he should do: find a way to make others feel as happy as he did at this moment.

-+-

With the help of River, Spectra, and even Lorax in a pinch, Curtis convinced his guardians that he would be fine for a walk in Pinwheel Forest on his own. The Pokemon could detect danger before he did, then help to hide or defend him. Although, he didn't expect anything bad to happen. Not even someone recognizing him as Christoph, since he was dressed like any other young Trainer out on the road.

Although if this call continued, others in the forest might suspect something. “If you are going to be my new agent, then you should know that I don't intend on sticking to one style of music as I have been,” he said. “I don't want to end up in a shallow career again.”

“I understand that,” he said. “What kind of music are you thinking about branching out to?”

“Well I've been translating some ancient songs into modern notation. I'd like to add some of them to my repertoire. I'll do some pop too, since I still like it.”

“I’ll have to hear what you have in mind. Are you going to stick with the same persona?”

“I think not. If I could be myself...” There was a quick flash of gray in front of him, so he stopped and looked up in case it was some Pokemon running across his way. It was a Pokemon, but it came to a standstill just a few feet in front of him. And it wasn't just any old Pokemon. A grand figure, standing on four legs taller than him, with a pair of horns that made him think of swords even if they weren't that thin. Cobalion was there, staring at him harshly. “Uh, could we talk more about this at the meeting tomorrow? Something's come up.”

At his side, River gripped her hands into fists, but was wary of starting a fight right off. His Spiritomb snickered, lifting her keystone out of his shirt pocket just in case. He wasn't sure how much the agent noticed, but the man replied, “All right, see you then.”

“Right.” He disconnected the call, not breaking eye contact with Cobalion. He heard footsteps approaching him from either side; they made sure that he heard them. “Hey, um... odd place to run into you. Two of you, anyhow.”

“You're going to fold so easily?” Virizion said.

River snarled something, to which Cobalion replied with a snort. The Lucario made a huff and crossed her arms over her chest. But she still looked like she could go into a fight at a moment's notice. On Curtis' other side, Spectra placed her stone on the ground and hovered her spirits close to his legs.

“Not necessarily, but I know when I’m outmatched,” Curtis said. “What do you want?”

“You're the one Keldeo's set on?” Cobalion said, a bit in disbelief.

“We were going to challenge you to see what you're made of,” Terrakion said. “But you? We could knock you over with a poke.”

“What kind of strength can you have?” Virizion asked.

“I know, I’m not strong like you all are,” Curtis said. He had thought about what he'd say to these three; knowing that they disliked humans made this somewhat expected. But he had hoped that he'd be with Rosa when they'd run into each other. “We became close before she knew who she was, and my feelings don't change because she's Keldeo too. My main strength is my singing, not fighting. Not even fighting like a Trainer.”

Things were silent a moment as the three looked to each other. Then Cobalion stamped a hoof down. “Then prove your strength.”

“As you would for her,” Virizion added.

“Otherwise, you're definitely not worthy,” Terrakion said.

Then they might approve of him? “Well are you going to talk to Rosa? She would like to. But okay, I’ll sing for you.” Like how he'd sing for Rosa? It didn't take long to consider what song, so he composed himself before he began to sing.

-+-

Time passed, over a year. Past Victory Road, past the Elite challenges, up the grand staircase, they met on the battlefield of champions. As was their preference, all of their Pokemon were out with them.

Nate waited, not dressed any differently than he did any other day; others had noted that he was a humble Champion, quite different from such flashy personalities like Iris and Hilda. Ruby the Emboar stood at his right side, calm but watchful as she kept an eye on all. Patience the Glaceon sat by his left side, a play ball under her foot as if some game had been interrupted for this. Cathy the Lilligant was still twirling around, probably not caring to stop until she was called into battle. In contrast, Rune the Sigilyph was perched quietly on an even quieter Signet the Golurk. The two almost seemed like a single ancient statue. Felix the Zoroark was not immediately in sight, hidden unless he was mimicking one of the others who hid.

Rosa stopped her approach, smiling at them. She was dressed more for the occasion, in a flattering pink and silver dress, pink ribbon slippers, pink and silver ribbons in her hair, and the tiny sword with her hairs as Keldeo. Perhaps she'd gotten the idea from Hilda to show up like this. As soon as she had stepped on the upper platform, Bard the Samurott appeared from his Pokeball; he had finally consented to evolve when they started spending more time around the ocean and rivers. The others had an easier time maneuvering on land. Or even simply swimming through the air, as Medusa the Jellicent and Chuchu the Lanturn did. Both of them were happy like the rest, the former being extra flouncy in her movements and the latter sparking in excitement. Grim the Swanna landed on a post, to watch for the time when he would be called for. Elda the Seismitoad hopped along, twitching her fingers and toes in eagerness to begin. Finally, Hikari the Milotic glistened beautifully as he slithered along close behind Rosa. He looked like he could take off for air-swimming as well, if he chose to.

“Hah, I’ve finally caught up to you!” Rosa said, holding a fist up in triumph. “Now we're going to take you all down!”

“Rosa, I’ve been waiting for you to show up,” Nate said with a nod. “You've done well to get this far, but isn't it a little early to be celebrating?”

Dropping her smile, she put her hands on her hips. “Aw, I was hoping you'd be at least a little surprised to see me here.”

He chuckled. “Did you really think you could advance without my notice? Or would you rather us start over, and I'll go...” he paused, then put on an exaggerated expression of shock, “Oh my gosh, Rosa? How in the world did you gt this far?! I thought I'd never see you here but as a spectator.”

She laughed. “Aah, Naaaate! That sounds nothing like you! Fine, fine. But I tried. Anyhow, I'm here to challenge you for the championship! You ready?”

“I think that's my line,” he said, going back to his usual self. “But very well. I hope you and your Pokemon are ready for the League's highest challenge. I know you've gotten here because of your passions and persistence. Let's see how you fare. Ready? Begin!”

THE END

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
And it's over!

Actually, I did want to go through the whole game; I completely skipped over Marlon and Hamilau, plus short-cutted the Neo Plasma events. But once I got Hilda back over, it didn't make sense to delay rescuing Kyurem too much. And I didn't like the idea of dragging other things out.

The scene with Curtis meeting Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion was originally planned for when he was traveling with Rosa and Nate. But I think this version turned out funnier. Curtis singing to calm the dragon was my intent from the start, hence why that song book showed up way back when.

I also really wanted N to be the one to challenge Ghetsis. N's role in the sequel was one of the weaker points. It was awesome when he showed up to help you out, but I think it would have been better if he teamed up with you in Doubles fashion for the Ghetsis battle. Not sure who would be worthy of partnering up with Ghetsis for that; Colress already had a change of heart by that point. Maybe one of the other Sages. I do love how N will comment if you have one of his former Pokemon at Victory Road.

Okay, so Kalos? There might be a hint as to the title of my next big Pokemon fanfic in there.

later!

And thus this draws to a close.It may not have had as long a run as some of your fics, nor as action-packed or even as insane. Despite that, and with a healthy dose of mystery, this proved to be a work of your usual astounding quality. While I am happy to see the ending, it's also quite sad to see it go. The finale of the second ClicheStorm has come to pass, and I think I'll stop sounding vaguely poetic because I've run out of ideas.

And the cliches I can immediately think of that you'd run through at some point, over the course of both ClicheStorms (I make no claims as to this list's completeness): Trainer who has a Legendary starter, capturing a Starter pokemon with a notable unique trait, pokemorphs, a character who everyone wants to help for no good reason, a protagonist being sucked into a game, a protagonist who has lost their memory, a protagonist from the future, a protagonist who is a Legendary in human form (Admittedly, I kind of want to see good ones of this type more, they're actually kind of rare), Easy Villain Redemption by time travelling to fix their childhood, a character falling for a Legendary (Twice! Maybe...) a protagonist with special powers, a character that's not N with the ability to speak to Pokemon, defeating the final villain in an almost effortless battle (Yes, this is still a cliche. Kind of.).

Ones you have yet to do( Still not a complete list): A protagonist who oversleeps, meaning that they missed their chance to get a starter: following this, they get given a super-special-ultra-rare starter instead, full-on Mary Sue character (Thank goodness), Chosen Ones (...Probably) characters that are pre-existing character's kids, bad sob stories as backstory, a new evil team that is evil for the Eevulz, and many more.

So, if you ever write a ClicheStorm 3, there's plenty left for you to do.