• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ClicheStorm 2 (PG-13)

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 9: Cheren's First Challengers

April 21
Aspertia

It was an exciting day for them, but for Aspertia it seemed like more or less another regular day. Rosa came back with Nate on the day that the Gym officially opened. While there was a notice on the electronic board in the gatehouse, there wasn't much in town about it. “You'd think there'd be some celebration for the city getting its own Gym,” Rosa said.

“Maybe there'll be one later,” Nate said. “It is still daytime and most people would be at work.”

“Right, I hope so. Cheren worked really hard at his studies and so he deserves this.” They kept walking along the street to the school, where the Gym was stationed until the League could buy up a space to build one. That is, if they decided to do that.

After going around the school and through a gate, they ended up in the old playground where Cheren had set up. He was there in one of the painted battlefields, talking with six of the students from the regular school. There was a statue from the Pokemon League at the edge of the playground, with a screen that would list the current winners. Since it had just opened this morning, it was an empty list.

“This is extra credit, so you need to still keep up on your regular classes,” Cheren was telling the two kids. “I'll be expecting all of you who opt for this to do well. Hmm, what is it?”

“Someone's here,” a girl said, pointing to them. “Hi Rosa!”

“Hello!” she said, waving back.

Cheren turned to them and smiled. “Ah, it's you both. I was expecting to see you. Nice to see that you managed to be my first challengers. That is what you're here for, right?”

“Of course,” she said, smiling. “We're all going to do our best.”

“Great,” Cheren said, reaching down and picking up a machine. He spoke briefly to his two student Trainers, “Okay, you all pay attention to this,” then turned to them. “First things first; I need to scan your League ID cards and the Pokeballs to the team you'll be using. Right now, we're only accepting low-level challenges, but I'm sure that's no issue.”

“Sure,” she said, handing over her card, then taking out the three Pokeballs to her team.

“The ID checks gives you their badge count and registration data,” one of the boys said. “And the Pokeball scan makes sure all the Pokemon are legal and healthy competitors.”

“Exactly,” Cheren said. “So it says Rosa has three Pokemon and no badges yet. What's that mean for you?”

“That she has to defeat two of us before she can challenge you,” the boy replied.

“Good,” he said, handing back Rosa's team. “Sorry about using you guys as an example, but we're all settling in here. Okay, you handle Nate, and two of you stay in the fields to challenge her. Rosa, I’ll be at the back of the playground when you're ready.”

“Okay!” she said as she headed over to the nearer of the two battle fields. One of the boys and one of the girls headed over to act as her opponents.

“May I scan your ID and Pokeballs?” the boy who had been assigned that duty asked Nate.

“Sure,” he said, pulling out his card to hand over. This was a part of the process for every Gym, so it was something to get used to.

“Okay, well,” the boy looked back to the grounds when he was done, “I know you heard, but since it's your first time in the Gym, I gotta tell you that you need to defeat two of us to challenge Cheren. Okay?”

To humor him, Nate nodded. “Sure, thanks for telling me.”

The boy grinned. “Good luck. You're gonna need it, especially against the Leader.”

Nate then headed for the other battle field where two other kids had decided to be his opponents. He had his Mareep Snapper lead against both of them. As Rosa had found out first hand, Mareep had a potent static associated with their wooly coat. On physical contact, an opponent Pokemon could become paralyzed. It didn't happen with every hit, but it happened often enough to be of good use. If he really needed to paralyze, Snapper had a move for that as well.

As the kids didn't have many Pokemon, Nate was able to beat them readily. When those battles were done, he looked across the playground to see that Rosa had gone ahead and challenged Cheren. He wasn't sure how long she'd been in the battle, but Bard was fighting a Lillipup. The Oshawott hit the Lillipup with a Water Gun, but then was knocked out with a Tackle. Not only that, but it seemed particularly powerful, even enough to knock Bard back behind Rosa.

She seemed worried from the way she nearly dropped her next Pokeball. But then she called out her Sewaddle. The little Bug trembled at first, but hurried over obediently when Rosa called for an attack. But Cheren had healed up his Lillipup, so the biting attack didn't do much. Especially not compared to the powerful tackle that knocked into Angel.

But it didn't knock her out. Angel held on bravely, biting the canine again. She couldn't resist a second tackle and was knocked out. Cheren bowed his head. “You did pretty good, but not good enough. Sorry Rosa.”

“What, we lost?” Rosa asked, seeming shocked. “Um, wow, you really are great even with restrictions, but...”

“You'd better go to the Pokecenter,” Nate suggested. He glanced over at Cheren. “Mind if I go with her?”

“You're free to come and go as you need,” Cheren said, nodding. “You'll need to be rescanned when you come back in.”

“Sure,” Nate said, then took Rosa's hand and walked with her back to the Pokecenter.

It wasn't the first time that Rosa's team had been wiped out, Nate reflected. Maybe it was just doing so against Cheren, who she surely wanted to impress still. They came into the Pokecenter, which had another Trainer at the Pokemart counter but few others. So Rosa's four Pokemon were able to get immediate care.

“Oh, hello Rosa,” the nurse said. “What's wrong?”

“I, I need to get my Pokemon healed,” she said, handing over a couple of the Pokeballs.

“Of course,” the nurse said kindly, taking them and putting them in the machine while Rosa got the others. “It's nice that your boyfriend came over with you.”

“We're not dating,” Nate said calmly. “Just helping each other out.”

“Ye-yeah,” Rosa said, then turned to him. “Wow, I always knew that he was a great Trainer, but it was something else to actually go up against him! I hoped I had a chance because he just had two and he didn't attack right off. But then both of them became so powerful. Am I just not good enough to win that?”

“I don't think it's like that,” he said. “It's his duty as a Gym Leader to give every person who comes to him a challenge, even those of us who are his friends.”

“Here you go, Rosa,” the nurse said. “Your Pokemon are all better. What about you?”

“Yeah, they could use some healing,” Nate said, handing his two over. Not as much as Rosa's needed, obviously, but coming up against a strong opponent, he could use every edge he could get. Then he turned back to Rosa. “And that was just one try. We can go back to the ranch and train up some more.”

“I could,” she said. “Thanks. But, don't you want to try today too?”

“Yeah, I was going to head back. Don't let him see you discouraged; your spirit is one of the best things going for you.”

That did the trick and she smiled. “Aw, okay. We'll make ourselves strong and come back.”

The nurse then came back with his Pokemon. “And here you go. Oh, and if you're friends with the Gym Leader, there's going to be a celebration of the opening up on the overlook this evening.”

“Good, that's what I was hoping to hear,” Rosa said. “If that's so, maybe we'll just try training on Route 19 for today, so we don't have to go all the way out there and back.”

“Have a good day, both of you,” the nurse said. Then she winked at Nate. “And you take good care of Rosa, young fellow.”

“We're just friends,” Nate said, but bowed to her. “Thanks.”

On the way out, Rosa sighed. “Aah, why do they all think you're my boyfriend? It's not like you're the only boy I’ve ever hung out with. I wonder if Mom said something.”

“Probably just some gossip that's hard to kill,” he replied. “Don't let it get to you.”

“I guess. But I do like having you as a friend, don't get me wrong about that.”

“I like having you as a friend too,” he said, giving her a smile.

Back at the Gym in the playground, Nate rescanned his ID and team so that they knew he hadn't changed any of it on them. Rosa wasn't battling now, so she didn't have to. Since he'd already beaten two of the student Trainers, Nate went straight to the back of the playground where Cheren was waiting. There was another Trainer there, the red-haired girl who had been at the Pokemart counter. Because of that, Nate and Rosa had to watch that battle (Cheren won), then wait for Cheren to heal up with the Gym's healing device.

Then, it was time. “All right, I’m ready to challenge you now,” Nate said, giving him a friendly nod.

“Good, I was looking forward to fighting you,” Cheren said, returning the gesture. “As your mind has begun to clear, I want to see what you're really like as a Pokemon Trainer. So then, do you believe in your Pokemon? Then give your best effort to battling me. Declare your Pokemon. I have two.”

“I have two,” Nate said. According to what he'd read, this was traditional battling etiquette that had its strongest hold in the Pokemon Leagues.

“Then let's begin,” Cheren said, releasing a Patrat.

Like he'd been looking for during last semester finals, Nate recalled, but whether that was related to this wasn't important now. He called on Ruby. If he worked at training her for a few more levels, then she'd evolve and gain a Fight typing and move, which would be valuable in a match like this. But, that would be overdoing it. He believed that his team could do this now. Although, Rosa's talk about her match lingered in his mind.

Cheren called out a move named Work Up. In the data lists he'd memorized in another world, this was a stat boosting move that would counter the stat dropping move Ruby knew. Having a split second warning of what Cheren was doing, he had the Tepig simply tackle the Patrat. It was a little stronger than Ember here; a second tackle took out the Patrat.

When Cheren had to swap out, Nate opted to swap Ruby for Snapper. Trainers like Cheren wouldn't put their strongest Pokemon out first, that was how he thought of it. The chance of paralysis would help in this second match, as the Mareep came up against the Lillipup that had taken out Rosa's team. Cheren started with Work Up again, so Nate stuck with an electric attack. When the Lillipup attacked, it made a powerful hit against Snapper, but not enough to knock him out. It also didn't activate Static, so Nate healed up his Pokemon in the same round that Cheren did.

The next attack by the Lillipup did activate Static, causing it to suffer from paralysis. But it also knocked Snapper out. Keeping calm, Nate called Ruby back out and had her finish off the Lillipup before it could get past its paralysis to hit her. “Good work, Ruby,” Nate told her. “I need to tell Snapper the same later on.”

“You really are the tactical type,” Cheren said, coming over to him. “Well done; you've already grown a lot as a Trainer, even from when you and Rosa set out to train a couple weeks back. And here's proof of your victory: the Basic Badge.” He handed over a small metal, like a decorative pin without the pin backing. It was set in gold, with a red and black centerpiece that made it seem like the spine of a book.

“Thanks,” Nate said, taking it. In a way, it didn't look like a lot. But in this world, it held such great significance, earning its holder the respect of humans and Pokemon alike. And it was from a battle that was much more difficult that then those he'd gotten from other young Trainers around Aspertia and Flocessy. It made him excited to think of what challenges lay ahead.

Cheren put his hand to his chin. “Interesting that you should make it as the first Trainer to earn a badge from me, when it's likely thanks to you that I got the chance to be a Gym Leader.”

“How would it be due to him?” Rosa asked, coming over. “Congratulations, Nate! You need to give me some tips now.”

Nate laughed, “I already did.”

Cheren laughed too. “Well it's not like Nate could recommend me or anything. But, you remember how you asked me to help teach him about Pokemon? I actually did a lot of thinking and researching to figure out how to do that, and I wrote an essay about it that I sent to an academic journal for students. Seeing that essay led Lenora to considering me, asking my teachers for projects I done for my League related courses and such. So yeah, if you hadn't come along like you did, Nate, I wouldn't have been a person considered.”

“I hadn't thought my being amnesiac would have such a positive effect on someone else,” Nate said, scratching his head. “But hey, I think this job came to a good guy.”

He shrugged. “Maybe you don't see it, but it is going to keep me busy. It's a good busy, though. Oh, and Rosa, I noticed something in your battle,” he turned to her. “I hadn't expected to see you with a Grass Pokemon, with how you feel about them.”

“Oh, you remembered that?” Rosa said, turning slightly pink. “Well, I decided to give her a try because, you know, it's not like I can avoid them all the time. I'm still not sure about her, sorry.”

“But you're trying,” Cheren said in encouragement. “And, I think she's starting to open up to you. Bianca would be able to read her better than me, but I saw how that Sewaddle hung on like she did. Some Pokemon will hang on in determination for their Trainer. She was working hard for you. Make sure that she knows you appreciate that.”

“Okay, I'll do that,” she said.

-+-

That night, Rosa and Nate came back to Aspertia's school yard for the celebration about the Gym's opening. There were a good many people here, from the students who were acting as the Gym Trainers and their families to other Gym Leaders, even some friends of Cheren's like Bianca. “Hi you two!” the blond haired girl said happily on seeing them, waving them over. “Hey, I heard that Nate was the only one who managed to get the badge today despite a lot of people trying to challenge Cheren. Congratulations! Did you treat your Pokemon for it?”

“Sure did,” Nate said. He had bought them some Pokemon treats from a local store, although they ended up buying Rosa's Pokemon some too so they didn't feel left out. “Thanks, although I hadn't heard about being the only one.”

“There were some close matches,” Cheren said. “Especially in some of the higher level challenges later in the day, when my high level Trainers were out of class. I'm pretty sure I’m still within bounds, though I'll know for sure in the first week review later on.”

Nate nodded. All Gym battles were taped, although they were kept private in League files until the challenger authorized them being released to the public site. It was through that that he had been able to find records of most of Hilda's battles in the League, to try and figure her out. He had gone ahead and allowed for his tapes to be publicly accessible, as it didn't seem harmful.

Thinking of her, he decided they should be kept up to date, since they were her old friends. “I had some things to tell you about Hilda, not a lot,” he said. He then told them about how they'd determined that she'd disappeared within a week of visiting Alder, and that she had been actively searching for Keldeo at that time.

“Keldeo, huh?” Bianca said.

“Oh yeah, and there was something you were saying about him,” Rosa said. She had her Basculin Finn in her arms, a habit she'd gotten into for reasons Nate didn't know. “Do you remember, when we were at that big rock? You said that Keldeo had been reborn around fifteen years ago but his powers got buried so deeply that no one could sense him until recently. And that it's likely that even the legendary Pokemon wouldn't realize where he was until they came in direct contact with him.”

“If he's been reborn, I'd check places around bodies of water, like the coastline or the rivers,” Bianca said. “Because most legends you hear of him, he loves being in those places.”

“That'd be a good place to start,” Cheren said. “You might have some trouble identifying him. But then, maybe your Pokemon will be able to notice something that you can't. Or even some of the other legendaries might help, if you could find them. I used to know Meloetta, and traveled with her for a while. But I let her go when she asked, so I don't know where she is.”

Bianca nodded. “She's probably in a place with a lot of musicians again. Oh, and I traveled with Victini for a long time, but he asked to head out on his own after Team Plasma fell. If you find them and let them know what you're doing, they might be willing to help you too.”

“You both traveled with legendary Pokemon?” Nate asked. It was surprising. He'd known that Hilda had been under Kyurem's protection, but hadn't heard about them too.

“Well when the lands become troubled, the guardians will come alert and seek to help solve things,” Bianca said. “It happens in many other lands too. Many legendary Pokemon have sworn oaths to protect their homelands and they will do what is necessary to help bring peace and stability back.”

“Still, it'd be better to focus on your given quest, to find out what happened to Hilda and help her back home,” Cheren said. “But should you come across another of Unova's guardians, it wouldn't hurt to ask for their help, or even just their blessing.”

-+-

As the party continued, Rosa went to talk to various people she knew. Nate felt a bit of loneliness at that. Who had he known? Would he meet them again? But then a thought came clear to him, that there was no way that he wanted to go back to his old world. There was something…

It wasn’t utter destruction, but it might as well have been. Everything that was familiar was gone or changed greatly. There were dangers that, long ago, would have been unthinkable. There was talk of the end of the world, dangerous to look into. While he had been close to one person, that person too was changed beyond recognition with the collapse of order. There was no reason for him to stay, other than to wait for his own end.

..more of a feeling than anything else, but the pain of that was almost more than being lonely at this party.

But that was behind him. He needed to be here now. Nate tried to strike up a few conversations with others, but having only been here for a few months, there weren’t many that he knew.

At one point, he met with a man wearing a green bandana over his head. “Well I have Pokemon, but I’m a breeder more than a battler,” he said, patting the head of a Girafarig that was by his side. “I take in endangered species and try to help their numbers build. Most of the ones I raise eventually go into adoption or to Safari Zones.”

“That sounds like a good cause,” Nate said. “How long have you been doing that?”

“About two years, which isn’t long but I’ve already gotten high marks.” He smiled. “I even was able to give a couple of Pokemon over to the Pokestar Studios, in order to make movies. I hope they get used for films that make people think about how they interact with Pokemon.”

“I wouldn’t know much about that,” he said. “I hope they treat them well. Pokemon are intelligent and loving creatures, from what I’ve seen, so we need to respect and love them.”

“Yeah,” the breeder said, but he seemed distracted in a sudden thought. “Look, don’t take me the wrong way, but you remind me of someone, or maybe it’s your words. Can you, um, understand Pokemon?”

Puzzled by the remark, Nate shook his head. “No. But I try my hardest to understand them. I was involved in an accident that messed up my mind a few months back and I had to relearn a lot, even about Pokemon.” He shrugged. “I guess I see them in a different light, especially when my Tepig here has been so supportive of me.”

“Te oink!” Ruby said, wagging her tail. She kept close to him, while Snapper wandered around checking other people out.

“I see,” he said, a little disappointed.

And then something came to Nate. It was like his premonitions, but not quite. There was a connection here to someone important.

The route was lit primarily by moonlight, since the lights by the daycare didn’t extend to this area. He walked down the dark route, coming from the cave where they were gathering Pokemon they had liberated from others for health checks. Maybe it was a little dangerous to be walking out so late, but he needed to be in the next town by morning.

While walking by a low ledge, he came upon a surprise: Lord N was lying on the ground nearby, looking up at the stars. He knew the young King was out on a mission, but they had not been told that he’d be in this area. “My lord?” he called, stepping up onto the ledge.

N sat up to see who it was. If he’d been anyone else, the knight would have thought him upset or sad from how he looked. But was he? N was a special person and he’d heard from others that he wasn’t like anyone else. “Oh, it’s one of you. Are things going well?”

He nodded. “Yes, things are going smoothly.” He wondered if he should dare ask, conflicted between respect and sympathy. The latter won out. “Are things well for you? You seem troubled.”

“Do I?” He got up. “Don’t mind me. I was just… I released the Pokemon that were assisting me a short while ago.”

That puzzled him. Then again, quite a few things about Plasma had puzzled him since he’d joined a month back. But they were doing the right thing, he believed. “You did? Why? I heard you were to win the Championship to get the people to listen, but most Trainers keep their Pokemon along the way, to keep building their bond.”

N was quiet for a moment, then said, “I’m aware of it. But even if I must do this, I can’t stand to see the Pokemon in pain. So once they’ve helped me, I’m letting them go back to their lives. That way, they don’t have to suffer.”

So things like ordinary battling hurt Pokemon? Recalling his younger days when he’d tried to make his way through the League, he felt bad about not considering that. “Really? Should I let my Pokemon go too after they help me with a mission?”

“No, you keep yours,” N said. “Your missions won’t be as difficult on the Pokemon. Keep them until I can call on the legendary dragon to order everyone to release their Pokemon.”

“All right, then I’ll be careful with them,” he said.

“Good, it’s good to hear that from you.” However, he still seemed troubled, not looking at him while talking.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m letting these Pokemon have their freedom,” N said. “Then why did she seem so sad and upset to leave me? And then there was that Trainer in Accumula; the Snivy seemed so excited to be with her, happier than I’ve seen any Pokemon. And what did she mean by calling that boy Kyurem? It couldn’t have been…” he shook his head. “What is the meaning of this, Hilda? Humans and Pokemon… I feel like not a part of either of them, just on the edges of both, between them. But I will save them, and make this world better.”

“My lord?” On one hand, he could see some Pokemon being unhappy to leave a Trainer they liked. But that’s not what N had been talking about before, nor the ones who had recruited him into Team Plasma. What was really going on here?

He looked surprised to realize that he was still there. “Oh… don’t mind me. I’m just thinking out loud. Things are certainly different out here. Your Pokemon are doing a big favor to us all by helping you now, so treat them well while you have them.”

He nodded. “I will. I’d better move on to get in place for the next mission. Take care, my lord.”

It seemed real, like the other two visions he had seen. Had it been a memory from this guy? Nate glanced around, then lowered his voice to ask, “Excuse me, but were you a part of Team Plasma?”

The breeder paled, drawing back a little. “Ho-how did you know? Please don’t tell anyone; I came back to my childhood home to start my life over, but no one here knows that I was a part of it.”

“It’s okay, I won’t tell anyone if that’s what you want,” he said. “Did you know their leader?”

“Lord N,” he said quietly, with reverence. “Not really, but I did speak with him alone once. Maybe it wouldn't be important to you, but his words influenced me greatly. I remember, when things first fell apart, many of us didn’t know what to do. People were being arrested and everything that we had been building towards had just fallen apart in minutes. There were some people who were getting bitter about him. But even at that point, I believed in him. I still do.”

“What was he like?” Nate asked, although he was almost certain that he just saw it. Maybe if he knew more about this too, he might get closer to figuring out what happened to Hilda. How he didn't know, but his intuition suggested it was good to pursue.

“He isn’t like anyone I’ve ever known, before or since,” the breeder said, reminiscing with fondness. “I mean, you hear people talking about others having good hearts, or even pure hearts, but things may not be as they appear. But N had a pure heart, and I can say that with absolute certainty. He wanted to help everybody live in a better world, and never wanted to see another suffer. I wouldn’t admit it back then, but he didn’t really understand the world.”

“Few people can understand the world,” Nate said. Although once he said it, he wondered why. It was something he felt and yet knew that someone his age was unlikely to realize it fully.

The breeder scratched his head. “Possibly. Maybe it’s better said that he didn’t understand the normal world. He grew up without a lot of people around him, and for a while lived with only Pokemon in a forest. He thought there was only one proper course to life. So when he acknowledged that he had been wrong in that and agreed to stop his pursuit of the cause, I could understand why. But there were a lot who were angry about it.” He shrugged. “I don’t know where my colleagues have gone. When they started talking of him as a traitor, I ran away alone. I was really lost for a while, not knowing what to do with myself. But I remembered that one time I was able to talk with him, and he said that Pokemon need to be treated well.”

“So you ended up taking up breeding to help them out,” Nate guessed.

He nodded. “Right, and I’m happy with where I am now. Sometimes I wonder what Lord N is doing now. Later I heard that he had gone into hiding with his twin brother Hilbert, and they were going to learn things from the legendary dragons. Maybe we will see him change the world someday, in a different way then he intended back then.”

“That might be interesting,” he said. “Hey, thanks for telling me that.”

“No, thanks for listening without judging me,” the breeder said, bowing his head with relief. “I’ve been scared about people learning what I did but… not yet, but maybe I can tell other people in the future. There is something about you that reminds me of him. Maybe you might meet him too someday. I hope you can find your memory.”

Nate nodded in thanks. He wasn’t sure how useful knowing this would be. But the puzzle wasn’t clear yet, so anything might be a piece to it.

-+-

By the time the party was over, it was late. Janine had invited Nate to stay over at their house in a guest room; Rosa was sleeping in her old room for tonight. Well, not sleeping yet. Bard was asleep, curled up on one end of the bed. River was doing her balance exercises on the end of Rosa’s bed; she wasn’t sure what the Riolu was doing with this particular exercise, but she did it often. Finn was back in his Pokeball, as he seemed to prefer sleeping there.

And Angel was on the lamp near Rosa’s bed, partway up the post and looking up at the light. “Careful,” Rosa said, putting her hand on the Sewaddle’s body. “You shouldn’t hurt your eyes by looking directly at the lightbulb.”

“Sshhufff,” Angel replied, letting go of the post and dropping into Rosa’s hand. She righted herself as the girl brought her closer and sat up on the bed. Then she started snuffling Rosa’s hand.

“Are you really starting to like me like Cheren thinks?” Rosa asked. “You did really well, he even said so. You’re at least getting used to me, it seems, cause you don’t try to hide when I get loud as much.”

Angel looked at her, then licked her forelegs and started cleaning the hood of her leaf clothes. Since she didn’t have a lot of room balancing on her hand, Rosa put her down by the pillow. Angel even gave her a little lick on being put down.

“Aw, thanks,” she said. “You’re nice, at least. And you’re still not too much like a plant.” She paused. “I don’t know. I know other girls think the flowery Grass Pokemon are so pretty and elegant, but I’ve always been spooked by them. It’s not like I was attacked by some rogue Grass Pokemon or something. Because my Mom works in Pokecenters, I've met a lot of Pokemon and not all of them were nice. And my Dad is a photographer; he works for a big magazine in Castelia, but he goes all over the world to get pictures of nature, really deep in the wilderness where most people wouldn’t dare go. When he comes home, sometimes he takes me out on a hike to see wild Pokemon. But no matter how many Pokemon I met, I was always scared by the Grass types.”

At that point, Angel paused in her cleaning and looked up at her. “Tssil.”

“Wish I knew what you guys meant,” Rosa said, plopping down on her pillow. “Most girls would say they were scared by Bug types, but that doesn’t bug me about you. Or they’re scared of Ghost or Dark types. I got teased sometimes because I didn’t like Grass types. Oh, but don’t take me wrong. I’m getting to like you too.”

She sighed, then sat back up to turn her light off.

“Well, we’ve got to get back to work and toughen up so that we can beat Cheren too. Maybe I’ll ask Nate what level his Pokemon are and we’ll aim for that. I just hope Cheren isn’t disappointed in me. I thought that maybe, if I got the badge from him first, then he’d get more interested in me. Ah, but he was friends with Hilda, wasn’t he? Maybe he likes her better than he says.”

Rosa tried to put that out of her mind for now, but she had an uneasy night.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
One of the things I loved in the sequels that was story-related is the Memory Link scenes. The scene with the breeder is the first one you can access; it triggers N's old Pokemon to appear in the wild, even if you can't get to them until you pass Castelia. Actually, I was able to adapt that scene pretty easily to match up with a scene in the first ClicheStorm, which was great. Some of you might even know which Pokemon N is talking about.

Also, Cheren is a tough Leader for being the first. Work Up + Tackle + Normal Pokemon is brutal if you let them stay a couple of rounds. One of the NPCs in the school even comments that your best tactic is probably just brute strength (speed helps too, as does Static). Even if you pick up a Riolu, the first Fight move it gets is Counter.

Although, last time I played, I had transported a Frillish egg as soon as I could... and that still wasn't easy because Cheren's Pokemon have Bite! Apparently, the harder version of his Gym battle includes a Pidove, although it doesn't seem to have a Fly move to counter Fight Pokemon.

As for last chapter's type confusion, I keep thinking that Ice resist Water when it resists Ice... bleh. I'll try to fix it later.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Although, last time I played, I had transported a Frillish egg as soon as I could... and that still wasn't easy because Cheren's Pokemon have Bite!
I hear that. I had the same problem with my Drifloon in Aspertia Gym. It's not just Cheren, either- every single Pokemon in that Gym has Bite. Well, obviously, the Pidove in Challenge Mode wouldn't, but still.

Ga'Hooleone

Who's laughing now?
One of the things I loved in the sequels that was story-related is the Memory Link scenes. The scene with the breeder is the first one you can access; it triggers N's old Pokemon to appear in the wild, even if you can't get to them until you pass Castelia. Actually, I was able to adapt that scene pretty easily to match up with a scene in the first ClicheStorm, which was great. Some of you might even know which Pokemon N is talking about.

I thought it was pretty interesting myself, seeing how I always assumed that the Memory Links would be as a simple recount of the events, rather than an actual sequence playing in your head.

Pricilla noooooooo D:

EDIT: Hmm, actually the scene took place in Chargestone Cave. If you wanted to be really accurate, you could shift it to Pricilla dying outside the cave instead and move the setting to its original location.

Of course, using Counter on a +1 Tackle is pretty much a guaranteed way to win. At least, against one of them. Waiting until you get Force Palm works too.

And as you said, Paralyzing it via T-Wave or Static is a perfectly valid strategy too. As is (for some people I know) resetting until Ember Burns it.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Ok, I've got a conspiracy theory brewing here... Keldeo appeared 15 years ago. I forget how old Rosa is, but I'm sure she's around that age. Rosa's parents mentioned Keldeo and gave Rosa an artifact of his. It seems possible that Keldeo visited Rosa's parents and reincarnated as Rosa. This would explain her love for water pokemon. :D Am I onto something here?

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
The Dark Confusion. Keldeo is quite important to this story, so it seems. Is Nate a Boy from the real world that entered the World of Pokemon or, He's Keldeo? Never mind, don't answer that. I'll be patient. Anyways, I do have some question! (Beware of Spoilers)Since in Pokemon Black and White 2, Team Plasma is using Kyurem's power to rule Unova, and the world. But, if Kyurem is in Team Plasma's Clutches, What of Hilda? Did Team Plasma do something to her? Why is Keldeo everywhere and yet nowhere? Questions......

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@Ga'Hooleone: Right Pokemon, but wrong scene. The scene here relates to when N initially released Priscilla; note the remarks on a cave and a daycare being nearby, plus it taking place at night. As for the canon scene, I don't think I recognized the cave they used. Been a while since I saw it (considering doing a third playthrough...)

to 3D992 and Dormant: Good questions. It will get more confusing next chapter!

Ga'Hooleone

Who's laughing now?
Oh, the noooo part was referring to her getting released. That's why I said if you wanted it to be more accurate you could change it to her dying.

See here: http://serebii.net/black2white2/memorylink.shtml
The picture in the flashbacks is a shot of the first Memory Link you encounter, which involves N and the breeder/grunt in Chargestone Cave (you can see the sepia rock which was one of the magnetic rocks on the right there).

This is all nitpicking of course, like I mentioned I still enjoyed how you pulled off the scene greatly.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 10: An Unlikely Prison

April 28
Aspertia

It took another week of training, but Rosa was able to return to Aspertia and defeat Cheren. She had gotten two of her four Pokemon over the level that Nate had won at, so it was actually an easy battle. This time, none of her Pokemon got knocked out. Cheren actually laughed at that. “Well your team has improved fast.”

“We worked really hard,” Rosa said, trying not to blush too much.

“I can tell,” he said. “Just be careful to not work your Pokemon too hard. Still, yours seem happy and healthy, so you should be okay. And for your fine work, you have also earned the Basic Badge.”

“Thank you,” Rosa said as he passed over the gold badge to her. Was he really impressed with her? Maybe she’d gotten her chance to catch his eye now.

“Both of you are ready to move on then,” Cheren said (instead, to her slight disappointment). “If you head on past Flocessy, you’ll arrive at Virbank. There’s another Gym there, so you should try your skills there. Just remember, as you keep earning badges, the challenges you get from Gym Leaders will get tougher and tougher. But I think with the respect you get from badges, you can get more people willing to talk to you both about what you’re searching for.”

“And we need to be exploring many places, so it’s good to continue with the League along the way,” Nate said.

Cheren nodded. “Of course. Well, keep in contact. I’ll be keeping an eye on how you two are doing, but it’s always best to hear it from you personally. Take care.”

“Yeah, we’ll send along any news we get about your friend,” Rosa said, trying to find something to cover her disappointment. “You take care too. Come on, let’s go!” She ran off out of the schoolyard.

Back on the street, Nate caught up with her. “Hey, what is it?”

She thought about saying nothing. He was a boy, after all, and boys didn’t always get it. But, this was Nate. She turned to him. “I was so sure that he’d like me even more after I won against him. But I don’t think it changed all that much.”

“I’m sure he does respect you more,” Nate said. “And you haven’t really said anything to him about how you feel, right? Maybe he just doesn’t realize it.”

“Maybe,” Rosa said, calming down at his words. “Or, is it because I only have one badge? Because he could go and become the League Champion right now if he wanted to. Well maybe not right now, now that he has to run the Gym here. But he’s that good… maybe if I can earn eight badges too, then he’d see me in a different light and I could safely tell him how I feel.”

“That's not exactly what I meant,” Nate said.

Rosa ignored him. “So that’s it. I’ll keep my Pokemon happy and strong, and then he’ll fall in love with me. Okay, let’s do it!”

Nate chuckled and shook his head. “If that’s what you think. But yes, let’s head on to Virbank.”

-+-

April 29
Virbank City

The three towns of Aspertia, Flocessy, and Virbank were fairly close together. Since they started out from Aspertia in the afternoon, they had to spend the night in Flocessy, then head down Route 20 to reach Virbank in the early afternoon. In the gatehouses, Rosa was excited to see her victory being announced on the electronic bulletin. It didn’t state her name, but it did say that a Trainer from Aspertia had defeated the Aspertia Gym Leader Cheren on the day that she had won. It was the only such announcement on the board, though.

“They used to do a daily battle report there, and on the internet,” Rosa said. “And some days, there would be dozens of wins to report. But in the past few years, participation in the League has dropped.”

“I read about that,” Nate said. “Seems like people are still influenced by Team Plasma’s ideals, even after they came apart.”

She nodded. “At least it seems the decent ideals came through, like treating Pokemon better. Hey, you think maybe if we do good enough, then we can spur on more interest in the League again? It seems sad that something that was a big part of everyone’s lives and talk is still on a decline.”

He shrugged. “Maybe. It might take more than just two people. But then, we could set a good example that others will want to follow.”

“That sounds like a wonderful idea.” She grinned in excitement, clapping her hands together. “So we’ve got to do really well here too! Great, I’ll have to… ack!” She stumbled as she was trying to walk backwards, falling onto the floor.

“You have to watch where you’re going,” Nate said, giving her a teasing smile as he offered her a hand up.

“Oh, don’t make fun of me,” she said, but that didn’t break her happiness for long.

Virbank was different from the other two towns he had seen, Nate quickly realized. It was very industrial. Large factories surrounded the town. Concrete walkways and roads took up much of the space, leaving only small patches of grass amid the houses and buildings. Not too far away, there were docks with large cranes in sight. Heading down the road, they found that they were on a raised walkway above the harbor, hence why so much was trying to cram into this small area.

The Pokecenter was a short walk from the gatehouse, but before they could get in, a pair coming out of the center made them stop. “Get real,” the woman of the pair said sharply. She had white hair that was pulled up on top of her head, but she had the face of someone in her twenties. “You have an important job to do.”

“You do as well,” the man said, with gray hair and definitely looking older than her. He wore a hat that seemed nautical, a mock-off of a navy captain's hat (or maybe it was that). “If you can lead a band and run a Gym, then who's to say that I can't run a ferry and be a movie star?”

“I can make time for both! But people depend on you to get to and from here. You're going to cause a lot of trouble in delaying the ferry.”

“But I'm not the only ferry, just busiest right now. It'll be fine; the others can pick up the slack. I'm after my dreams.” He waved and headed off down the street.

“Argh!” the woman growled, clenching a fist to her chest. “You dim-witted... dense... dumb... daft... dippy... dorky... doltish DOFUS! Doing double duty isn't the problem! You're causing problems for people! Keeping people from getting where they're going because of sheer selfishness is unforgivable! I've HAD it! I'm going to the Gym!” And she strode off without noticing them.

“Whoa,” Rosa said. “Uh, can't they have the drama inside?”

“Do you remember what we talked about after you got the badge?” Nate reminded her. “Back in the street?”

“Ooooo...” she blushed, then brushed loose strands of hair aside. “Fine, I suppose you can't really plan drama. But they're adults; they should have it settled by the time we get around to the Gym.”

He shrugged. “Who knows? Let's see what's around town, so we can figure out how to plan the next few weeks.”

They found some stores past the Pokecenter, but much of this town was taken up by docks, warehouses, and small factories. At the north end of town, there was a gatehouse that led to Pokestar Studios, but they weren't allowed past. There was a preschool where children and Pokemon played, but that wasn't like the school in Aspertia where there would be Trainers their age. While there was also a regular school, it seemed to be smaller and not much suited for battles.

A place that was suited for battles, even suggested by locals, was Virbank Complex, an area in and around where an oil refinery was located. Surprisingly, there was a large amount of grassy lots there and much of it was open for Trainers to battle or look for wild Pokemon. A few areas weren't public, but they were clearly marked as such. Overhead, there were large pipes crossing between various containers; it seemed like it might been be possible to walk over them.

There was one building near the entrance that was blocked off, but in an unusual manner. It was taped off with bright yellow caution tape. A worker was standing there, taking photos. Feeling curious, Rosa went closer to the building. “Excuse me, but what's going on with this place?”

“Hmm?” He looked up, then back to the building. “It's coming down. Not today, and it's not all that dangerous, so don't worry about being around it.”

“Why's it coming down if it's not dangerous?” she asked.

“You'd know if you went inside, but I don't recommend that,” the worker said. “It's been a magnet for bad luck, which is understandable. See this place, there were two legendary Pokemon that had been captured and held here for decades. And it just got worse when they were discovered, as whatever...” he waved a hand a bit, “bad spirit about it, if you'll excuse the term, was released instead of being pent up. I didn't believe in superstitions before, but it's giving everyone the creeps.”

So that was where...? Rosa shivered. “Oh, I see.”

“They were found two years ago,” Nate pointed out. “Why did it get left up?”

“We wanted to be rid of it once we realized that it was bad business.” He shook his head. “But there were complications about who really owned the place and where he was. They found a bones a few months back and it's only been recently confirmed to be this guy, Umber. With that, we could finally get rid of it.”

“And we could go in there, if we wanted?” Nate asked.

“If you wanted, yes, but really, I don't recommend it unless you've got nerves of steel,” the worker said, then moved on with his assessment.

“You're not seriously thinking of going in there, are you?” Rosa asked, worried and a little scared. What if it turned out that Nate was Keldeo's reborn form? It was weird that one of the legendary swordmon Pokemon would be reborn as a human, and it didn't quite match up to Nate's memory. But, his memory wasn't reliable and if it turned out that he was, then going back in there would surely trigger a bad flashback.

“Well Hilda's disappearance is related to what's going on with Keldeo,” he said, a lot calmer about it that she was. “I might see something in there.”

“It might be horrible! And you'd get a headache out of it too.”

To that, Nate just smiled warmly at her. “Thanks for being worried, but I can’t let that stop me. Still, if I did see something, the side effects would knock me out for the rest of the day. Maybe we'll train around the complex until evening and then go in.”

Go in that place with bad spirits, at night? Somehow, that didn't seem like a much better idea. “I don't like the sound of that.”

“It's better to know then to turn away in fear.” And with that, he seemed to feel that the issue was settled.

The few hours they got in training their Pokemon were tough, but worth it. The wild Pokemon here were much stronger than those on the routes. Not only that, but there was a Poison type living in the complex, the Koffing, so that gave Rosa a preview of what they'd be fighting against. Unfortunately, it seemed that Angel was going to have a hard time with it, as the poison really hurt her. Even her leaf cloak had started to wilt after the battle was over. It made her heart seem to ache seeing the Sewaddle shudder like that, so she had hurried back to the Pokecenter to clear that up. Fortunately, Bard, Finn, and River were strong enough to take out to few Koffings Rosa had come across.

In the evening, when the lights all over the complex were bright enough to block out the stars, they met back up at the entrance to the doomed building. There was a handle which seemed out of place, given that the whole wall had been plastered smooth at one point. Nate didn't seem to be afraid; neither did Ruby, as the Tepig snuffled around the door, checking the place out. Angel was half asleep on Rosa's shoulder due to the sun setting and Bard never seemed down for long. As for Finn, it was hard to tell with is default fierce face markings. The Basculin swam in place, watching them to see what they were going to do.

But Rosa still felt nervous about entering. And, so did River. The Riolu tugged at Rosa's black leggings, leaning away from the building and looking up at her with wide eyes. She pointed to the building and shook her head.

“River doesn't think this is a good idea either,” Rosa said.

“The guy said it wasn't dangerous,” he reminded her. “And it's not like they've begun the demolition process. There's likely nothing but memories in there, but those memories might be ones I need.”

“Memories of when two Pokemon were held captive against their will. With the way memories affect you, that could be trouble.”

Nate looked back at her. “I appreciate the concern, but I’d have to check out this place sooner or later. I could just go in with my Pokemon if you want to stay out of it.”

“Hmph, you don't have to be rude about it. Okay, okay, but if you get that look on your face, I’m pulling you out.” She looked down at River. “It is odd for her to seem spooked. She's so calm and stoic most of the time.”

“The Pokedex says that she can read auras, so old feelings might linger and be visible to her,” Nate said, opening the door. “Snapper, come on.”

From nearby, the Mareep stood still. His eyes were closed. “I think he fell asleep again,” Rosa said.

“Great,” Nate said sarcastically, taking out a Pokeball and recalling the Mareep. Snapper seemed to have lost much of his enthusiasm once they beat Cheren. The past few days, he didn't even want to walk around with Nate and Ruby. “I’ve got to find a better way to motivate him. Well, let's go.” He walked in after Ruby and switched a nearby light switch.

For some reason, the electricity was still on for this building. One light was out, but they could see most of the interior. It was an empty office building where nothing had been left behind. Being empty and now devoid of purpose, it should have been non-threatening. Maybe it was to Nate and three of the Pokemon (four, since Angel seemed fully asleep). But it made Rosa's hairs stand on end. River stayed close to her, looking around as if she suspected something dangerous might be around.

The second floor was even more empty, without interior walls. There were some ominous looking metal things on the floor and ceiling, but they were inactive and still. But the feeling of something being wrong was even stronger here. In this place, Rosa could imagine being locked up or tied down in helplessness, knowing there was an entire city outside but that the chances of being noticed were extremely slim. How could anyone be so mean to a Pokemon? Not even considering how special they had been. She turned aside and rubbed at her eyes, not wanting Nate to notice that she was tearing up at the thought.

In the meantime, Nate had stepped into the large rectangle made by the metal strips on the floor. “Possibly an energy barrier, useless now,” he said. Then he closed his eyes and was motionless.

For a worryingly long time. Rosa wanted to leave, but she didn't want to leave him alone there. “Are you getting anything?”

“Not like before, but it's like there's something at the edge of my notice,” he said. “Maybe another spot...”

River suddenly barked, startling because she didn't often make noise. The two teens both looked at her, pointing to a spot on the wall. Over there, it was just a white wall. Or was it? Something changed and a Pokemon appeared there. It was humanoid but small, with green hair spilling over part of her face and a black covering over her body like a dress. With her hands clasped near her chest, she spoke without moving her lips. “What are you doing here? This is a terrible place. I wouldn't come in if I didn't sense you.”

“Are you... Meloetta?” Nate asked.

She nodded and put her hands down. “Yes, that's me. What are you doing here?”

Since she was one of the legends, he explained what they were doing. Rosa nodded slowly at the end of it. “Yeah, he wanted to come even thought I tried to talk him out of it. This place is spooky.”

“I suppose if you were searching for someone, you would need to look at important places, even tragic ones,” Meloetta said. “I do not know about Hilda, but I know that something has happened to Kyurem.”

“What happened with him?” Nate asked.

“The past winter was mild, with lots of rain.” She shook her head. “I don't know what, but something has muffled his powers. When I think on him, I sense a great sadness and loneliness. It is strange coming from him; I looked and couldn't find him.”

“We're looking for Keldeo too, since Hilda was looking for him,” Rosa said, reminding her of that part of Nate's story.

Meloetta put her hand to her cheek. “Are you? But Keldeo is here.”

“Why would he still be here?” Nate asked. “We haven't seen him.”

“Uhh,” she looked down, lost in thought for a moment. “Keldeo... maybe he has not yet remembered who he is. You seem to be close. Please, be kind to him.” Then Meloetta vanished, apparently not wanting to stay in this place any longer then she had to.

-+-

May 2

Keldeo had been with them. Nate thought over that for the next few days while he worked on training his Pokemon. Maybe he was living as another Pokemon? If he stayed as the same type, then there was Bard, Finn, and River to consider. Finn didn't seem like anything special; he seemed battle-thirsty for being on Rosa's team, bored if he wasn't in a fight. Bard seemed too carefree and silly, while River was composed and serious about keeping in good shape. That is, save for when she'd been spooked about going in the building. Then again, that made the Riolu more likely than the Oshawott or Basculin.

But he might not even be of the same type. That gave potential to Rosa's other Pokemon Angel and his two in Snapper and Ruby. Angel seemed like a stretch, being shy and easily scared, but that might be a result of what happened to Keldeo in his last incarnation. Ruby had the kind of loyalty and drive one might expect from the legends he was reading at night. As for Snapper...

Nate was almost certain that it wasn't Snapper. Once he'd been taken off the ranch, the Mareep proved to be lazy and troublesome. It was a disappointment, as Nate had seen him defeat the other Mareep in their games of strength and Snapper did all right in some battles. But most of the time he was like he was now, staying in one spot in the shorter grass to munch on it, not even motivated enough to take more than a couple of steps to get to more grass. Besides, Snapper had been in his Pokeball when they spoke with Meloetta. Only the fact that the Pokeball was there made him a possibility.

“Snapper, you're falling behind,” Nate told him. “If you're not going to be serious, I'll take you back to Flocessy Ranch and release you there. We need you to cooperate.”

“Meeehh,” Snapper replied, not moving.

Ruby snorted in irritation. Whatever the Mareep had said didn't sit well with her.

Did he try to break through to Snapper and get his friendship? Or should he just try again with another Pokemon? Nate was leaning strongly towards the latter, and he had a good idea of what he wanted. “Okay, then.” He recalled Snapper, then headed into the grassy areas further from the path. Going deeper into the area led to stronger Pokemon, he had noticed. If he could find a Audino, they seemed unusually happy to act as a sparring partner to others. One had even tossed a berry at Ruby to help heal her so she didn't get knocked out too quickly.

Further in, he ran into a lot of the same Pokemon: Koffings, Growlithes, Magbies, Patrats, and even a couple of Grimers. But then he saw three of what he was looking for, Magnemites. Nate wanted to watch them like he had with the Mareep (the best he could do without save-scumming and RNG counting available), but the three Pokemon noticed him too quickly. They flew over, but then seemed to be in a bit of squabble about who would fight.

“Hey, you three,” he said. “Yeah, I’m looking to capture one of you, but I need a Pokemon who's willing to travel across Unova with me and work hard with us. I'll treat you like I do anyone, but I definitely don't want any slackers around.”

“Gruh, ge,” Ruby said, wagging her tail. Hopefully speaking for him too.

With that said, one of the Magnemites backed off, going elsewhere. The two who remained decided to attack him at once, causing Ruby to hurry ahead to get him out of range of the battle. Nate brought Snapper back out. “Ruby, Flame Charge one of them. Snapper, follow up with Thunder Wave... don't go to sleep now.”

But the Mareep didn't seem that interested. Why was he such a problem? He didn't have the collar of the ranch Pokemon. Maybe he had been captured before and had a bad experience with it. But then, Snapper hadn't been troubled when he'd brought out a Pokeball to catch him. Or had he, and Nate just didn't notice?

At any rate, Ruby picked a target and knocked it right out. Nate expected something like that, but hoped for something else. Snapper didn't do anything, so Ruby did the same attack on the other Magnemite. This one squeaked at the attack, getting knocked back in the air a couple of feet. But it came back, still floating as it used a small electric attack at the Tepig. If his memory was right, that was the one he wanted. He had picked up some Great Balls earlier, so used one of them just to make sure the capture went right.

“I feel like calling it Argent,” Nate said, retrieving the ball. Then he looked back at Snapper, who had not moved from his spot to nibble at some grass. “Do you even care? Well let's get back to the Pokecenter.”

He called over to Rosa and told her he was going for a walk elsewhere for a few hours. She seemed to be all right with that, more focused on training her Pokemon. At the Pokecenter, he healed up the Pokemon and then had to use the public PC there to release Snapper. Supposedly there were tools that could allow one to release a Pokemon anywhere, but he had no idea where one would buy something like that. The program that ran the Storage Boxes could be used for that purpose, and that was free.

After the bond was broken, Snapper reappeared near the computer. Nate wondered for a moment how he should say goodbye to him. While he wasn't that cooperative, he had still helped against Cheren. “Well you're free now, but I’ll keep my word and go with you back to the ranch. Shall we go?”

“Baah,” the Mareep said, shaking himself.

He took a few steps towards the door. “Please?”

Thankfully, Snapper followed him out of the Pokecenter, along with Ruby and Argent. The latter two seemed to be chatting, based on how they reacted to each other's oinks and buzzes. It struck him as being odd, knowing that Ruby had knocked out the other Magnemite in one hit and nearly got this one too but then seeing Argent acting playfully towards her. He would dip and bob at her in the air, bopping her in the side. She would squeal, then run around in circles trying to bop him back while also trying to keep up with Nate. From observing her for the past couple of months, he knew she was having a good time from her alert but pleased expression.

On the other hand, Snapper did his best to ignore them. Once they were past the gatehouse, he stopped a few feet out and started eating grass. Nate tried to call to him, but he wouldn't budge. “Well, you are free to do what you want. Take care of yourself.” Then he went back to the complex to get back to training.

But he had to wonder if he hadn't made a mistake somewhere, and what that mistake had been.

-+-

Snapper the Mareep stayed by the gatehouse; grass was good pretty much anywhere, even if it tasted a little different in each location. At one time, he thought he'd wanted to go on a journey with some young Trainer in order to get stronger and see the world. After all, it was what every other young Pokemon around him wanted. He had even rough-housed with others to be a strong one that would be picked out above the others. And it had worked with Nate.

But then he'd underestimated how much work it was to be a battling Pokemon. Nate was a nice guy and that almost made up for it. He was also a serious kid, and thus had drilled him and Ruby in many fights. At first, Snapper had tried his best. But it just wasn't any fun now that he was a Trainer's Pokemon. He began to wish for lazy days at the ranch, where the sun was warm and there wasn't anything to do but munch on grass and enjoy the weather. After he had helped to defeat a Gym, his motivation to keep battling just bottomed out. This wasn't the life for him.

At least he was now free to do what he wanted. He didn't even have to return to the ranch, which would be nice as there would be less competition from other Mareep and less questions of why he was back. While the lack of sneaking into the barn in bad weather was a downer, he might just hang around out here until autumn. Or even winter.

“Look look, it's a Mareep!” a little boy said, running closer to him. “Do you think I can catch it?”

“It might belong to someone,” a woman with him said.

“But there's nobody out here,” the boy said, coming right in front of his face.

So Snapper spit at him. It made the boy cry, but he didn't much care. He simply moved a short ways off and resumed eating.

-+-

Virbank
May 19

The weather was rough that day, with winds whipping up the waves around the dock area. Despite that, Rosa went down to get a closer look at the sea. Her brown hair was threatening to come out of the looped ponytails that she wore every day and the salt water spattered over her clothes despite her raincoat. Where many other girls wouldn't have been happy, it gave Rosa a thrill to be in the middle of it all. The only one of her Pokemon that didn't love it (that was Bard) or didn't mind it (that was River and Finn) was Angel, who tried to hide from the storm against Rosa's neck. So she recalled her and walked along the dock paths with her other three.

Ahead of her, Bard was twirling around and singing in the wind, slowing down in his spinning but then falling backwards into the water. Rosa laughed. “You definitely meant to do that!” she called, kneeling down and offering him a hand out. The water droplets from the larger waves hit her face, but it felt nice. Then the wind gusted through the lower portion of Virbank, pushing her over backwards as she pulled Bard out. “Whoa! Ha ha, no fair wind!”

There was another roar as the gust continued, grabbing her visor and flipping it down the dock. Rosa scrambled to her feet to chase after it, but River did a face palm and then dashed after it faster than Rosa could run. Still, even the Riolu didn't get the visor; something else did.

They caught up to see what had gotten her visor: it looked like a large blob of pink jelly sprawled on the dock. But it definitely had a tentacle that clung to the visor, and black eyes that opened up to look at them. “Oh, is it a jellyfish?” Rosa asked. “Or a jellyfish Pokemon? I've heard of them. You must've gotten blown up from the storm, but... you seem kinda cool. Hey, can I capture you? I'll get you to the Pokecenter to be checked out and then we can figure out what to do.”

As the wind had slowed briefly, the jellyfish tossed the visor back at Rosa. That was a good clue that it was a Pokemon rather than a simple jellyfish. Rosa put the visor back on and dug in her bag for a new Pokeball. But then the jellyfish swatted at River. It wasn't going to break tradition by letting her get it without a fight. At first, she wasn't able to figure out why River's attacks weren't working. Only Assurance got it before Rosa decided to just throw the Pokeball and hope for the best (especially in this inclement weather).

Bard immediately went chasing after the Pokeball, apparently thinking it was some toy. But at least that reaction made sure the ball didn't get blown around and dropped into the bay. Rosa clapped her hands. “Bard, bring it over to me!”

“Oossh!” The Oshawott grabbed the ball in both paws and held it at arm's length with both paws while waddling back to her.

“Good boy,” Rosa said, giving him a hug as she took the Pokeball. After another short gust, she added, “As fun as this is, I don't want to lose my visor or any of you. Let's get out of here.” While Finn snorted at her comment, they hurried along the dock back to the staircase that led back up.

At the top, Nate was waiting on them with his new Magnemite and Pignite out. “What were you doing down there?” he asked. “It's dangerous to be around the water in this kind of weather.”

Ruby gave a small snort, not looking too bothered even though the rain hissed upon hitting her.

She gave them a grin. “Don't worry, I can swim! And so can these ones, and another I just caught! At least I assume so, as I haven't looked yet.”

“Nice, but let's at least get back inside before finding out,” he said. “I could go for a warm meal tonight after this stormy day.”

“Fine, let's get to the Pokecenter,” she said, hurrying along the road and only slowing because the wind made her.

They were dripping water by the time they got in there, but the center staff had added a large coat hanger at the entrance for raincoats. There were still wet footprints on the floor, indicating that they weren't the only ones who had tried to be out this afternoon. After getting her team healed up, Rosa checked the Pokeball and the Pokedex to figure out what she'd caught. It turned out to be a Frillish, another Water type, but she was also a Ghost type.

“That makes her different!” Rosa said happily. “I think I'll keep her. You okay with this?”

Now that she was attached to a Pokeball, the Frillish was able to keep well hydrated with technology. Watching her float there was like watching a pink water balloon with large light ribbons bobbing in the air. She had a small face, so she smiled at the question. “Wooorooo.”

“Awesome, so...” she thought about it, but then a name seemed obvious. “You'll be Medusa!”

Medusa seemed to coo as she bounced in place.

“Isn't Medusa the name of a mythological monster?” Nate asked.

“Is it?” Rosa asked, puzzled. “I know it's the name of an adult jellyfish, the non-Pokemon ones.”

“That's so. I guess she is different.” Nate smiled too. “Looks like you're getting a team you like.”

She laughed. “Yeah! What about you?”

“I like these two,” he said, looking to Ruby. “I've been thinking about what other Pokemon to look for. But, we'll see.”

-+-

May 23

At the complex area, there were a series of round pipes that hung eight feet over the ground. They were just wide enough for a human to walk on, although it would be hard for them to balance. On the other hand, River was able to stay standing still up there for her balance exercises. It was important to have good balance. Flow like the water and wind, to be graceful at any speed, to be nimble in battle. That was what she had been taught when she was a young pup. While she felt she had good mastery over that, River still didn't have much power. At least, she didn't think so. She was under a Trainer now, so this should be a good opportunity to become a truly great fighter.

Should be. The Riolu had known that she would be best off with a human Trainer; it was just a matter of when she'd find one. When wondering about it before, she thought that maybe she'd find a human master of martial arts. Or maybe one who was already a great Trainer who would know how to bring out the best in her. Instead, she ended up with a novice Trainer, a girl who had more enthusiasm than grace in her movements.

Below her, she could see Rosa using Finn to battle a wild Audino while some other girls from Virbank had paused in their walk to watch briefly. “Come on, it can't take that much longer to beat him,” Rosa said.

The Audino spun around, dancing more than properly fighting. “Hah ha, that's what you think! Come on and try me.” He made an insulting gesture that most humans tended to mistake for a cute ear wiggle.

“You're foolish to think you can beat a proud warrior of the blue tribe!” the Basculin said before ramming his body into the Audino.

However, the pink Pokemon merely laughed again, tossing an oran berry in the air. “Who said what I was thinking? That is, what I think now is that that attack wasn't any more hurtful than being slapped with a dead fish. Wooo, wimpy fins! I don't even need healing from that.”

“You'll pay for that insult,” Finn growled, waggling his tail fin in preparation for his next attack. “Take this!” But the Audino just jumped aside and slapped the Basculin with his paws.

“Why're you fighting with such a slimy Pokemon?” one of the Virbank girls asked. River crossed her arms over her chest on hearing that. That girl had an aura of someone who liked to be pampered, one who'd rather others do all the work for her. If the Riolu had run into her when looking for a Trainer, she would have steered wide and clear away.

“He is not slimy,” Rosa insisted, looking away from the battle. “He's adorable.”

The Audino laughed at that, shaking its head. Finn grunted. “What're you laughing about? She says that I'm strong.”

“No she's not,” the Audino teased. “She means that you're a dainty fin! Dainty fin, wimpy fin!” Then he ate the berry he had.

“You've got weird tastes,” the girl said, then headed on with her friends.

While River would agree that Rosa had weird ideas of what made a Pokemon adorable (that toothy menace, who'd probably be happy if he got a scar for show?), that wasn't enough to dismiss her on. The fact that her inexperience showed painfully and that she seemed frivolous had been initially why River had tried to escape. But then, there was something else to her. Rosa's aura was peculiar. It hadn't seemed like much at first, nothing to investigate. Yet the longer River stayed around Rosa, the more apparent that difference stood out.

It wasn't like with Nate. Nate had a strange aura for a human too: all mixed up, not quite fitting in to his surroundings, seeming older than his appearance. However, he was definitely human and he had a chance at unscrambling things himself. Rosa most often seemed human, but occasionally something seemed to shine out from within, a power that belonged to a Pokemon. At first, River had thought it was that charm of Keldeo that the girl wore, since the Pokemon aura coming off her was definitely Water-based. Then they had gone into that abandoned building and met Meloetta, who claimed that Keldeo was with them. That tiny sword could be reacting with Keldeo's spirit, but it seemed significant that Rosa was holding onto it.

After another minute of fighting, Finn finally won over the rude Audino. Rosa hugged him. “Good job, even if it seemed to take forever.”

“He kept growling my power away,” the Basculin said, still irritated at it. “He can stay away forever.”

“Yay, you won!” Bard called, hopping over and waving with Medusa. Bard was now a Dewott, which meant that it was harder for Finn to escape his hugs. River usually noted his intent before not allowing him to hug her.

“Okay, I think you did enough practice, so...” Rosa let go of Finn and looked around. “Let's see, there's you two and... River! Where are you?”

“River!” Bard called, turning around to look. “I'm gonna hug you one of these days, and it'll be sooner if you're lazy!”

The Riolu sighed, then kicked the pipe she was standing on. It did get their attention. “I've been doing my own exercises,” she said. “And keep your hugs to yourself.”

Rosa laughed at seeing her up there. “Wow, you got high up! How'd you get there?”

For a moment, River considered if it would be wise to let her know. Then again, she'd probably look anyhow. She pointed to the stairs that led up to this level. “I'm going to have to watch you carefully if you get up here.”

As she thought, Rosa decided to come up to the pipes with her. Bard followed along and was soon dancing along another pipe; he at least had good balance too. River opted to keep an eye on their Trainer. Hopefully, she could do something to keep her from breaking her bones. Maybe Medusa or Finn could catch her, as their water bubbles let them swim freely through the air as long as they weren't focused on battling.

Rosa did have the sense to keep her arms out and move slowly. She paused, then took a step back. “Whoa, this is easier when I'm moving. How're you staying still? Maybe it's cause you're smaller.”

“And I practice my balance every day,” River said. “I want to see you try something.”

“How're you going to ask her?” Bard asked, coming up on the Riolu's other side. The pipes criss-crossed each other, creating multiple paths.

“I may have to try different ways,” River replied. Then she pointed up to the tiny sword on Rosa's necklace.

“Oh, did you want to practice martial arts with me?” Rosa asked, getting completely the wrong idea. “Normally I spar on a mat, not a pipe off the ground like this. And I'm not that far along. I've got a green belt.... that's not much.”

River put her paws on her hips. “That might show what I want to see. But I don't know if I want to try teaching a human to fight with her fists. I had enough trouble teaching my daughter a few years back.”

By then, Bard had managed to be hanging below the bar. “Wow, you're a mother already? I didn't think you were that old.”

“Yeah, well it happened while I’ve been preparing myself,” River said while the Dewott got himself back on top of the pipe. “I've seen fifteen winters and my daughter has seen five. Anyhow, I think that sword can do something. Draw it.”

Rosa still thought they were talking about sparring. “And while you might be smaller than me, I think you could beat me easily. Maybe if I had some armor or something... I do have a sword!” She laughed as she pulled out the tiny sword from its necklace case. “A little bitty one that's might draw a tiny bit of blood, but not enough to win with.” She then put it back.

“Maybe it has to be drawn in a particular fashion?” River thought aloud, tapping a foot on the pipe. “Like quickly, or with a chant.”

“Or flashy!” Bard said, pretending to draw a sword quickly. He continued his play by fighting off some imaginary foe opposite of River. “Come on, we'll fight back to back like badass buddies!”

She looked back at him. “Your form is more suited to your shells; you might want to stick with them over trying to learn swordsmanship.”

Rosa clapped her hands. “Oh, are you going to be the next Errol Flynn? That would be sweet. Maybe you could even make this little thing look awesome, like this!” She then drew the sword out quickly and sweeping it down and forward, trying to be dramatic.

And it was more dramatic than she intended, as the sword decided to no longer be tiny. Instead, it turned itself into a blue and silver longsword. The end of the handle even had a longer version of the lock of Keldeo's hair. Despite the fact that she wasn't expecting it, the sword kept her balanced on the pipe.

“Whoa, how did that happen?” Rosa asked, staring at the sword with wide eyes.

“Wow, I wish I had a real sword like that,” Bard said, pausing in his play to admire it.

“It's like Meloetta said,” River said, bowing her head. “Keldeo is with us and the sword reacts to his spirit. Or rather, hers.”

“What do you mean?” Medusa asked. The Frillish made her tentacles flutter below her. “Rosa has a very strong spirit, I can taste that. But where's Keldeo? I've never met a legendary Pokemon before.”

“I think she's Keldeo,” River said, pointing to Rosa. “But she doesn't remember, so her power doesn't show well. But that sword might be a key to revealing the truth.”

“I don't know what to do with this,” Rosa said, holding the sword up in front of her. “Huh, I wonder if Mom and Dad knew it could grow like this. But what do I do with a sword?” As she questioned it, the sword returned to its tiny size. “That's weird. I'll have to figure it out.” She put it back, but then as she glanced around, she slipped off the pipe, managing to catch it with her hands on her way down.

“Eep, Rosa!” Bard ran towards River, so the Riolu jumped over him so that he didn't knock them both off too.

“Ack, I don't think I want to be up here much longer,” Rosa said, forcing a smile at them. Then she looked down. “Thank goodness for leggings.” Then she dropped to the ground. “Well come on, we can't let Nate's team get too far ahead of us!”

“Yay!” Bard called, leaping off the pipe. Now that Rosa was fine, he was happy again.

“Right,” River said, jumping down to join them.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Roxie's outburst is so funny that I had to just take it straight from the game. Well, I think it's funny. Alliteration *laughs*

But onto our added mystery... now Rosa thinks Nate might be Keldeo, Nate thinks it's probably River, and River thinks that Rosa is the one. There is one truth in all that wild mass guessing: Snapper is not Keldeo. What do you think?

I think Frillish are awesome. Especially in Pokestar. I got most of the good and odd endings with a Frillish (later Jellicent, but same one).

Sorry for the delay there. It was unavoidable.

Alder also thinks that Nate might be Keldeo, and Rosa's other pokemon are informed of River's suspicion. What I think? I think you are an evil, evil person for confusing us even more. Because then it was just whether Nate was Keldeo or not, but now it's more a question of which one is Keldeo.
Nate
+Has psychic flashes regarding Keldeo's past
+Main character
+Only male character of the three; While this might not hold with reincarnation/disguise, it's still a point
- River only sees "human" in his aura, more specifcally the bit we already know about.
-In response to Nate saying they haven't seen him, she says that he might not have remembered who he was, adding "You seem to be close. Please, take care of him" implying that Nate is not Keldeo.

Rosa
+ Has a distinctly Water-type aura, with more Pokemon in it. Also resonates with the Keldeo charm
+Can activate what seems to be Sacred Sword from the charm
+Empathizes with Water-types most, dislikes Grass
- Hasn't had any reaction to the significant spots of Keldeo's existance
- Female, not that this would really mean anything

River
+...Not many really. Is blue? Has a sense of justice? Lived near a river? mostly just seems to be a random pick of Nate's for a similar 'mon.
-Mostly everything else.

Snapper
No more needs to be said.
I think that's everything. Anything I missed?

Of course, knowing you, you're going to throw in a curveball and something I've completely missed will turn out to be the key factor. Or they'll all be Keldeo...

And the delay was fine. You still have regular updates. A delay of a week is about a quarter of many FF.net author's regular update schedules anyway.

EDIT: Roxie as a 20-something? I always thought she looked about midteens...

Last edited:

charizarddude

Pokémon Master
Well, that sure made it confusing. But still, great story so far! It seems like Keldeo is most likely Rosa, but I doubt you would make it easy to guess. Plus, Keldeo could be a character that's been stalking them secretly the whole time like the Plasma Shadows. In other words, I have no clue. Lol, but that's what I love about this fanfic.

And about Kyurem feeling sad and lonely...probably something happened to Hilda or Mimi (that was the Mincinno's name right?), most likely Plasma captured them. But these are all just wild guesses. Can't wait for the next chapter!

3D992

The Living Hologram
So lets see....

Kyurem is controlled by Team Plasma in the game. This fic is relatively game based so I assume the same has happened here. Hilda and her team were somehow captured, inprisoned, whoknowswhat - basically, I have no idea. Whatever happened to Hilda probably happened because he was being held back by Plasma. He just had is best friend/love interest (never giving my Hilda/Kyurem shipping up) and "daughter" (Mimi) ripped away from him after a whole fanfic of adventures. He is understandably sad and lonely.

I'm sticking to my guns with this one. Rosa is Keldeo. Of course, at this point anything could happen. Loved scizorstrike's comment about everyone being Keldeo. Laughed more than I should have.

Can't wait to see what secrets the next chapter unveils.

Heh. Thanks 3D, I try.

After having thought about it some more, and re-reading the whole thing, aside from this chapter you've always been making it look like Nate is Keldeo. But, in the space of a single chapter, you've managed to completely reverse the entire perception of the matter, making it seem much more likely that Rosa is Keldeo. You have got to be doing that on purpose. There's going to be a reason why Nate spent all that time being hyped. Even if we can't see it right now.

Another thing I noticed was that this fic took much longer to get moving. Part of that was getting Nate oriented, but the begining seems to have dragged on a lot longer this time around. Just saying.

Also, the original ClicheStorm is completed, right? You should probably get a mod to move it to Completed Fics, 'cause it took me a good ten minutes to find it about seven pages back. That will only get worse with time.

EDIT; After re-reading that as well,
I noticed that Rosa was actually present during the discussion with Tornadus. It's a thing to note that Tornadus didn't note her when he was explaining to Hilbert and Cheren about where he had felt Keldeo's prescence. Also, Future!N noted specifically that nobody would notice Keldeo apart from those who knew him well when confronting him atop Dragonspiral Tower. So, River shouldn't be able to noteice Keldeo's power. THat's not to mention your initial list of Gijinkas, where you added a ???? entry, noting that this person would only turn up once and have a larger role in the sequel. Barring the epilogue, Rosa only turned up once. While it causes the question of how Future!N might have gotten outside the dimension, Nate might well be Keldeo. But then Rosa has at least some ability to use Keldeo's powers, so you can't rule her out yet.

ANother, entirely less spoilery thing from the original ClicheStorm is Hilbert's childhood friend Tabitha, the one with the Keldeo doll? SHe turning up again?

EDIT 2;
I'm also neglecting the fact that Keldeo apparantly spoke to Rosa's parents befpre she was born when her father had "a vey good reason for not having a camera." Hmm... And that's when they got the Sword Charm. Yeah, I should probably wait for the next chapter now, shouldn't I?

EDIT 3; THis is seriously annoying now. Your fic has hijacked my brainpower that I should be using to revise. *glares at brain*
But still.
Keldeo might have visited Rosa's parents at some point, but there's also the fact that immediately after getting his immortality restored by Future!N, he died to be reincarnated. Unless he appeared to Rosa's parents in spirit form, that dosen't really fit. Of course, he might well have. Thenagain, we don't know how old Rosa's parents are, so it might have been before he was captured...

Last edited:

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 11: Opportunity Knocks

May 27

They had been in Virbank for nearly a month when they decided to try out the Gym. Even though they had been there that long, it took a little while to find the Gym. It was a slim building, less than half the size of the buildings around it. However, it did have a neon Pokeball sign above the entrance, and the sign nearby said it was the 'Koffing Rock Club' and the Virbank City Gym.

Walking into the staircase, Rosa was reminded of a subway; it had that kind of bright yet sparse lighting, along with roughed up walls with peeling paint and many colorful posters. But some of it seemed artfully worn. Like the peeled paint, when she took a closer look as she walked by. Most of the areas where posters could be put had smoother paint, even if there were various patches of whites and grays. The peels were out of the way.

“Make sure to watch your step,” Nate said teasingly. “This staircase is steep and you'd knock me down if you fall.”

“Hey, I don't always fall,” she said, right before she nearly tripped off the last step before a small square landing. She just laughed it off, looking at the posters around. There were a lot about bands, especially Roxie's own. Further down, they could hear the drum beats of a loud song. It grew more and more distinct as they came down.

By the time they reached the reception desk, they could even hear the vocals. There was a guy there with black hair spiked up with yellow tips. He also had a black tank top with a logo of the club on it. “Afternoon, kids,” he said. “The band's in practicing, but if you're here for the Gym, I can give them a holler for a break.”

“Sure, both of us are here to challenge Roxie,” Nate said, getting his card and team ready to register.

“All right,” he said, getting the scanner ready. “She doesn't have any particular method to the Gym, so you'll just see what you get.” Once they were registered, the guy made a call, having them wait. The song stopped while the challenge was arranged. Then he hung up the phone. “Go on ahead, and good luck.”

Inside, they were met with a mostly empty club, one that seemed like it should be much busier. The tables and chairs were scattered about. At one table, there was a man in blue slacks and a fancy blue shirt with a matching scarf. Another man was sitting in a corner, somehow finding time to study and type on his computer with the band practice going on. Up on a platform, there was a dark skinned man in dreadlocks running the sound equipment. The Gym staff appeared to be on stage. There was a large man in a leather vest at the drums, and a young woman with a long purple ponytail on the guitar.

Roxie was in the center, as another guitarist and the vocalist. At first, Rosa wasn't sure where she'd seen her before; she had a white ponytail similar to the guitarist, only not as long. She wore an oversized striped shirt that happened to match her guitar. She had probably seen Roxie on TV, but after thinking that, she remembered when they had first come into Virbank. She had been the one arguing with the man outside the Pokecenter. But, that wasn't important to them, right?

“We've got two of you at once, huh?” Roxie asked, clutching her guitar in a confident poise. “Same badge level, same time... you two rivals or sweethearts?”

“N-neither!” Rosa said, stopping a few feet from the stage. In the meantime, the two others on stage put away their instruments.

“We're cooperating for the most part,” Nate said, not as bothered.

Roxie smirked. “But after the same goal, since you're both in the League challenger roster. You're going to end up as competitors sooner or later. Then, how about sooner? Each of you will battle one of my band members, and whichever one of you wins faster gets to challenge me first. Right then, let's see you do it!” She pointed for her band members, and Gym Trainers to challenge them.

They were competitors? Rosa hadn't thought about that much, even when they battled each other for practice. But she didn't get long to think about it before the guitarist and drummer dropped off stage. Rosa ended up fighting against the guitarist. Finn wound up getting poisoned, but he managed to win the battle on his own.

But Nate was still in battle with the drummer, as his Magnemite was fighting against a Grimer. So she had to fight Roxie first.

-+-

Undella Bay

“Hey mister!” a girl's voice called out over the waves. “Careful of the rising tide!”

Surrounded by the salty scent of the ocean, Colress smiled at the concern of the stranger. The warm waters were inching in to cover the pale sandbar he was standing on. Triste happened to be looking out to her; he pointed with one of his hands, making the small lights there blink individually. “Heeeii,” the Elgyem said.

He turned around to see who it was, part out of curiosity and part out of caution. On seeing the girl riding on a two-headed Dragon Pokemon in the waves, he wondered if Triste managed to recognize the importance of her. “It's no trouble, miss,” he said, waving to her. “The person I'm waiting on should be here soon.”

“I hope it's not much longer for you to wait, cause the tide can come in quick,” she said. “You do have a surfing Pokemon, don't you?”

Colress shook his head. “Nope. I'm not worried, though. Say, you're the Champion, Iris, aren't you? What would you be doing out here?”

As he thought, hearing that he didn't have a Pokemon to get him back to shore got her to direct her dragon to the sandbar he was on. “Yup, that's me,” Iris said. “I'm training my Pokemon out here, as swimming's a good exercise for them. You sure you're okay?” She hopped off onto the sand as soon as she could.

“I have faith in my co-worker,” he said, taking out his tablet from his bag. “It's quite lucky that you came along, though. My name is Colress, and I'm a scientist studying Pokemon training.”

“Oh really?” she said, her black eyes brightening in interest. “I've heard about you! You were hanging around Lenora's Gym for a while watching the Trainers.”

He nodded. “That's right. Would you mind allowing me an interview about how you train your Pokemon?”

“Hmmm...” she looked down at the water's edge, creeping back and forth, mostly forth. “Maybe not here. But what're you studying Trainers for?”

“Training, although trainers are involved,” he explained. “Actually, my original interest was seeing how to bring out the best in any Pokemon, how to raise them to their max potential. While we've made tremendous advances over the past century, I'm sure that there's more we can do to help them out. I've narrowed my focus down on training itself for now, although there's many aspects I'm investigating over the long term. What I'd like to do is eventually have a Pokemon of unexpected power, still within healthy and happy limits of course. A person like yourself would be valuable to my study.”

“I think my grandpa would be a bigger help than me,” Iris said, smiling proudly. “I may be the regional Champion, but I am still learning; he's a real living master.”

He gave a nod to that. “Yes, but all sorts are important to proper research.”

Then, Triste came up and poked his shoulder. “Eeeesa,” he warbled, pointing to the ocean.

Colress turned around. “Oh, is she coming up?”

A moment later, a Wailmer surfaced close to the sandbar, carrying a member of Team Plasma on its back. Of course, the agent was dressed in an unmarked diving suit with a scuba tank on her back, so it was impossible for an outsider to know she was a part of the team. The diver got off the Wailmer's back and walked over to them. After shifting her breathing tube aside, she said, “Uh, s-sir...”

“I already said that it's fine for you to call me by name,” he said. At least when she couldn't be identified as a part of the team.

“R-right, Colress,” she said, taking a small waterproof bag off her belt. “Here, I got what you asked for: sand from the, the lowest floor we could reach. And just in time too, it seems.”

He smiled wide as he took the bag of wet sand from her. “Ah, excellent. See, I told you it could be done. Thank you.”

“Ye-yeah,” she said, looking down and seeming relieved.

“What's that for?” Iris asked, tilting her head up at them.

“Voodoo,” Colress said without hesitation.

That made the girl laugh while the woman from Plasma tensed slightly. “Voodoo? But I thought you said you were a scientist, not a witch doctor.”

He turned to her, raising a finger up and shaking it reprovingly. “Ah, that is true. Just because I believe in science doesn't mean I have no interest in old superstitions. There's always a grain of truth somewhere in them; one just needs to filter out the mystique from the substance. For instance, those frail gems those witch doctors and gypsies use often can be proven to have power. One just has to find the right way to use it.” He then looked at the diver. “Well then, shall we go? I was going to talk to the young lady here in Undella, but if you have your own business, we can part at the beach.”

“Right, we'd better go before this sandbar vanishes,” she said.

“Okay, I'll meet you at the Coral Cafe!” Iris said, heading back to her Dragon. Colress waded out into the water far enough to get on the Wailmer's back with the diver and they all headed to shore.

-+-

Virbank Gym

“Yow, you both got me today,” Roxie said, grinning and putting her guitar on her back now that the battle was over. “You both work so well with your teams, even if you are only on your second badge. Speaking of which, here's your Toxic Badge. Keep it with pride.”

“Sure thing,” Nate said, grinning as he accepted it.

“You'll be moving on, I guess?” When they nodded, she came off the stage. “Well you have the Aspertia badge, and at this time, there aren't any other Gyms for the Unova League on this side of the bay. You're going to need to cross the water. I'm going to check up on the old man about the ferry. Don't worry none; find something to do and check up on the ferry house in the evening. Guys, take a break for half an hour.”

“Right, thanks,” Rosa said. She turned to Nate. “Then, what should we do?”

He shrugged, then stretched his arms behind his head. “I don't know about you, but I’m fine with just chilling out and letting the Pokemon have fun.”

“Hey, pardon my intrusion,” a curly-haired man said. It was the one who had been sitting at the table this whole time. “But I was just watching you two battle here. You're both fine energetic youths with friendly Pokemon, and I think the two of you have real star potential. Would you like to come to Pokestar Studios and have a try at making a movie?”

Pokestar Studios? That, that was the springboard of the carers of many modern stars. Much of what came out of it wasn't full-length movies, but rather movie shorts. They recycled the scripts every few years, that was well known, but each version was said to be unique, with different actors. But more importantly, Pokestar was where a lot of big stars, even superstars, even Christoph, were found by bigger studios. So if they were given a chance to be in a Pokestar movie... they might get the chance to become superstars.

“I don't know if we have time for that,” Nate said.

“AAAAAAAAAAHHHIEEEE, that's amazing!” Rosa shrieked happily, then she grabbed the man's hand. “You really think so? Can we, please?”

He laughed. “I'm sure of it. I'm a talent agent for the studio. And don't worry, it won't take up much of your time to come look around and try it out. Just get your Pokemon healed up and meet me on the other side of the gatehouse to the north. I've got to get my boss. See you in a bit.” He slipped his hand out of Rosa's grasp, then headed out of the club.

“Yeah, we'll be there!” Rosa said, then turned to Nate and jumped in place. “We can be in a movie! Isn't that awesome? If we do really well and people love us, then we might be able to become real movie stars! I always thought it'd be the best to be a big screen actor, and just to have that come out of blue is almost unbelievable, but it happened! This'll be great!” Then she hugged him in excitement.

He froze for a moment, then pushed away. “Um, I suppose. Although it does seem awful sudden.”

“Aw, why aren't you excited?” She knew that he tended to be serious, but he also had his fun moments. Besides, being a big star was a dream that everybody shared. Why would he even think about throwing away this once in a lifetime chance?

“It just seems like a distraction,” he explained. “And you are right, this is unbelievable. Why would they ask for a couple of teens to be their actors on just watching a few battles? But if it won't take long to see, I don't see the harm in looking.”

Maybe if he saw that it could be done, he'd go along with it. “Yeah, that's the ticket! Then let's go get our Pokemon healed up.” She rushed out of the club, soon followed after by Nate.

Once that was done, they hurried on to the gatehouse in the northern part of Virbank, the one that was usually closed off by private guards. But those same guards seemed to recognize them and let them on through. Maybe the agent had taken some pictures, but it already felt like they were special. Past the regular gatehouse, there was a lavish setting that seemed like a dream, no, that was where dreams were made. A plush red carpet sat on the concrete walkway, leading up to a grand golden arch that served as the entrance. What lay beyond was just as grand.

On the path, the talent agent was talking with a man wearing a colorful suit with a matching top hat. “Oh, here they are,” the agent said. “They did really well against Roxie, and with some work might even be stylish about it. It'd be interesting to see what they could do together. Rosa, Nate, this is the owner of Pokestar Studios, Mr. Stu Deeoh.”

The man took a step closer to them, looking them over. “Yes, I see what you mean. You both could be quite popular, but you're regular teens that anyone could relate to. Would you like to star in one of our movies?”

“Oh yes!” Rosa said, clapping her hands together. “This is going to be fun!”

He laughed. “Excellent. We look to make the dreams of many people alive. Don't worry, your test run won't go long. I need to go talk to the director, so have a tour of the studios. Keen, take them around for a bit.”

There were a number of people in the studio; some were in costume, some were in fancy suits, and others seemed to be other regular people. Maybe there were others like themselves who got to be actors, but Rosa didn't think on it long. There were too many things to be excited about. Like seeing various set pieces on display, a nice fountain, the large filming warehouse, and the extravagant screening theater.

“This is where we do the initial screening of all of our films,” the agent said as they stood in front of the theater. “Our test audience, made up of our experts, staff, and volunteers from the public, decide on what version of the current script makes it out to the general public.”

“What version?” Nate asked.

Nodding, the agent said, “We have a general script, but we leave the directors and the actors a lot of freedom to interpret it how they like. The test audience often knows the basic script from seeing all of the versions, so they like to see creativity and spirited actors. Although not so much that it wrecks the basic idea of the script.”

“Do we get paid for this?” he asked.

“Does it matter?” Rosa asked him. “We get to be in a movie!”

He turned to her. “Well yes, but most actors are paid.”

“If the particular film is chosen to go out of this theater, then you will be rewarded,” the agent said. “Why don't we go inside? The owner hasn't called yet, and one of the test films is going to be screened shortly. It runs off the base script you'll be using, so maybe you'll get an idea of what you're going to do.”

“Cool, I love the Pokestar films,” Rosa said as they walked into the screening theater.

Inside, there was a small group of people gathered outside the entrance to one of the screen rooms. This included, interestingly enough, Roxie and the older man who was probably her father. They didn't really get time to say hi as the door to the particular theater opened and everyone went inside. In there, it was a really nice theater, with large comfortable seats.

“How long will this be?” Nate whispered after a minute.

“They're short films,” Rosa said.

Then the lights darkened as the projector started up. A title screen came up, saying 'Test Screening- VIII- Brycen Man against Riolu Man: Carnival of Chaos'. From the second part of the title, Rosa knew it was one of the costumed hero series, which excited her. The last time it had gone out, she had been young girl and it had been one of her favorites. So was that the one they were going to play out? She had thought it couldn't get any more exciting, but then it did! She felt like fidgeting, but then she was supposed to be a young lady now. She tried to keep still.

It looked quite different, but hopefully it was just as good. There was a crowd in a carnival, colorfully lit up at night with several performers juggling bowling pins in the background. Then, the villain came out dressed in dark blue cloak and and an icy mask over his eyes. He looked like the former Gym Leader Brycen, who had retired from the League a year ago. Maybe it even was him, as he had been an actor as well. He did a great job.

After a little while, the hero Riolu Man came out, along with his Riolu partner. It looked like man who was with Roxie. But, he was pretty bad and not even in a good way. It was a pity, watching one of her favorite shows wrecked like that. But she could get a chance to make it really great in a little while.

They were given a survey to rate the movie, but from the talk going on, it seemed like others were disappointed in this version as well. Rosa filled out the survey, then headed out with Nate. “I think I’m seeing how they operate,” he said quietly.

“The agent explained it to us,” Rosa said.

He shrugged. “Yeah. But more than that.”

“Oh.” Well if he understood it, that was good. “That was a disappointing version. The one like this I saw years ago was brilliant, I loved it. This one, he was such a coward.”

In the lobby, they found Roxie talking with her father. From the sound of it, she was trying to cheer him up. That made Rosa wonder about how he felt. He had been in there, and all those people had been talking about the version he had been in. He must have been feeling bad about it... Rosa felt kind of bad herself for saying what she did a moment ago. But, it had only been Nate who heard, right?

She wasn't able to talk with them, though as the agent found them quickly. “We made good timing,” the agent said. “Stu told me that they're ready for you in the filming area. Go on over there; good luck with your test run.”

“Okay, thanks!” Rosa said, trying to put on a cheerful face. As she thought over things, she tried to focus on her excitement. She could talk with Roxie's father later. But for now....

It was really exciting!

Across the studio, they entered the recording building. The owner met with them in the lobby. “Ah, here you are,” he said, smiling. “Here is where all of our magic takes place, and by magic I mean CFX! We use green-screen actors to catch all of the action, and then by building the world around them through virtual technology, we can make our films in a few days rather than many months.”

“I thought so,” Nate said. Rosa looked at him, but it was still hard to know what he was thinking.

The owner seemed briefly uneasy at that, but then gave her a warm smile. “Yes... anyhow, the current script only calls for two actors and three Pokemon. You can choose to use either your own, if they're fitting for the script, or rent one of the studio But we have one of the studio actors who will work with one of you today. Which one of you wants to try out first?”

“Let her,” Nate said quickly, before Rosa could even think about it.

“Thanks!” Rosa said, jumping up a little Then she thought she saw something move out of the corner of her eye, like someone taller than her was coming up. Was it something to worry about? A little part of herself felt like she should be cautious about people sneaking up on her, but her excitement ran that over quick.

Before she could look, the owner started talking again. “That's good of you, Nate. Okay Rosa, so let me introduce you to your co-star....”

“Hello,” a man's voice said, from behind her.

“Eek!” Who was that? Tense with excitement, Rosa reacted without a thought, spinning around and slamming her fists into the man behind her. He got thrown aside and onto the ground a few feet away. But now that she got a good look at him, it was Brycen himself. She ran over to him. “Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! You just were suddenly behind me and I freaked out.”

“I should apologize for sneaking up on you, rather,” Brycen said, sitting up better. “You must have martial arts training.”

“Uh, just a little bit,” she said, blushing.

“You could have fooled us,” Mr. Stu Deeoh said, coming over. “Are you okay Brycen?”

“Took the wind right out of me,” he said, touching his torso then wincing.

“Maybe you should take the evening off,” the agent said.

Rosa nodded. “Oh sure. Um, maybe we could try again later.” But then the best idea came to her. This movie needed two actors. “Or, how about Nate takes his place?”

“Well...” the owner said, scratching his head.

“As long as it doesn't involve her punching me again, I’m fine,” Nate said.

That annoyed Rosa, but in the end, that worked for the owner and the director. They were both escorted to the filming area, where they were given the basic script for the Trainer hero short film. Taking up much of the room was a large area with bright green floor and walls. Various cameras and other equipment (most of which she couldn't name) were in the extra space.

“The standard script calls for a Riolu, a Pawniard, and a Vullaby,” Nate said, looking over the script.

“I have River,” Rosa said, happy for that. “But I think the other two live elsewhere in the region.”

He pointed at something on the script's third page. “Does she have something super-effective against a Flying type?”

“Oh, no,” she said, flipping the pages of her own script. “Drat, I was hoping she could be a movie star too. I guess we'll have to use the rental Pokemon they have. But didn't the guy said he liked our Pokemon too?”

He shrugged. “Can't help what's in the script... Excuse me, director, but why are some of the lines blank?”

The director, a man with a red suit and a visor that said 'Director' on it, stopped by them. “Oh, you must be some of the new actors. Yes, some of the lines are blank, but that's because you can choose what you want to say or do there. I might adjust things as well, depending on what you do. We want everyone to be creative.”

“Creative, huh?” Nate said, sounding like he wasn't impressed.

“That sounds fun!” Rosa said. “Are we starting right away? I don't know if I can memorize all this that fast.”

The director nodded. “We can get started as soon as we have the Pokemon out. And don't worry about memorizing the script. There's a lot of editing to do, so take as long as you need to in checking the script and redoing lines.”

“We'll use the studio Pokemon,” Rosa told them. So they had all the time they needed to get it right? That was good.

“I'll go get them, then,” the director said, going towards a window in one of the non-green walls.

Since they had a moment, Rosa turned to Nate. “What's up with you? You're acting like this is no big deal, but we're going to be in a movie! Most people can only dream about getting this chance.”

He shrugged. “Sorry, but... I'm just trying to think about this realistically. At first, I thought it must be inefficient to film the way they describe but then... recycling scripts with parts made up on the spot, getting actors off the street, CGI, multiple versions of which only one may be released to other theaters, shorts that depend on flat stock characters... I wonder how many other corners they cut in order to produce a large amount of material in order to find that one golden version that makes all the money? It must be like shifting through a collection of fanfics online to find that one good one.”

“Now you're just being sour,” she teased him, mockingly punching him (lightly). “Let's just have fun with this.”

He put his hand up defensively, smiling. “Okay, okay. Sorry. Hey, you said that this was one of your favorites, right? Why don't you choose which role you want?”

Pleased by that, Rosa said, “You're letting me choose? Yes! Oh, sorry, I don't want to offend you, but I want to play the hero. You okay with the villain?”

“Sure,” Nate said.

After a while of questions and setting up, the two of them were told to go into the green screen area. They were allowed to keep their regular outfits, even though the film would have them in costume. That was part of the script instructions, how to account for the costumes. The only exception was that the direction had asked them to leave their visors to the side, saying that it would be easier than editing that out. “Start filming,” the director said. “And, action!”

Rosa was ready to go, but Nate had most of the lines as the villain (probably because they were expecting the villain to be played by one of the studio actors like Brycen). So he started off with releasing the Pawniard, going the extra mile by sweeping his hand out as he did so, as if he was flinging aside a large cape. “Such a sight, this sparkling carnival. You people are all moving through like you're in a dream. Feh, but none of you deserve it! I will turn your dream into a nightmare! Come, my Pawniard, bring chaos and destruction to this night.”

“Kkkkzzzsa?” The Pawniard hesitated for a moment, as if uncertain of why Brycen wasn't there.

“Don't worry about it,” Nate said in his usual less dramatic voice. “You should do something that looks vicious and intimidating for the audience.”

Rosa grinned. “Oh yeah! Come on Pawniard, you can do it. Just whirl around and swing your blades, like this!” She then spun around once, slashing her hands through the air like they were bladed.

“Kuzza,” the Pawniard said, his eyes seeming to glint. Then he imitated what she did, only ending up on a different pose where he crossed his arms in front of himself, then slashed down and spread his arms out wide behind it.

The director laughed. “Nice one. You two do well with Pokemon.”

“They should be having fun too,” Rosa said. “Didn't you have more lines?”

“Yeah,” Nate said, kneeling while checking his script again. Then he dropped it and stood back up. After a moment, he gave a boastful evil-villain laugh. “Come on, cower before me! You ignorant masses have no idea of what's really going on around you. I will show you the meaning of fear and despair.”

Watching him get into it, Rosa shivered. He was scary when playing a villain and the Pawniard really was having fun being his minion Pokemon. But, she was to be the heroine, so she had to match him. “Hold it right there,” she shouted as she released the rental Riolu.

“Riii...” the Riolu started to call out when he saw the look on the Pawniard's face. “Yipe!” He stumbled back and crashed into Rosa's leg.

“Zzzizzca,” the Pawniard said, calming down a little.

Rosa dropped down and hugged the Riolu. “Oh, you're okay. But we need to really act, buddy! Come out and face him like a real hero.”

He looked back at her, puzzled. “Rii?” Then he seemed to see something and wagged his tail. He patted her hand, then got back onto his feet and was eager to go.

“Let's try that again,” the director said.

“Okay,” Rosa said, getting up. “Now remember, when you come out next, you gotta show that you aren't letting anyone intimidate you.”

The Riolu barked happily, then was recalled. When Rosa redid her line and called him back out, he called out, “Ri lu!” Then he made fists and held them out like he was ready for battle.

“Good one,” Rosa said quietly.

“Hmph, and who would you be?” Nate asked in his villain persona, showing disdain. “You hardly look impressive.”

To go along with the act, Rosa frowned, but then put on a serious face and brought her fist to her chest. “I am the hero of ideals, sent to defend the truth. I am here to stop you from your destructive schemes.”

He gave her a smirk. “Are you now? What use is the ideal, or the truth? It is nothing but a dream! For your insolence, I, Brycen-Man, will destroy you.”

Unfortunately, the director interrupted the flow. “Should we leave it as that? Since Brycen's not the one in the villain role for this version.”

“Oh wait, I have an idea!” Rosa said, jumping up. Then she pointed at Nate and got back into her role. “What are you talking about? You can't really be... are you Brycen?”

Nate brightened at that. “Oh yeah, a fake. Well then...” He paused, then asked, “Why would you suspect a deception? I am who I am. Pawniard, attack that Riolu!”

“Kzzzz,” the Pawniard hissed, then sprang across the gap to slash its blades at the Riolu's face. Instead of connecting, the Riolu hopped aside and dodged.

“I could see that working,” the director said, pacing and thinking.

As the cameras were still rolling, the act continued. “Riolu, use Force Palm on it!” Rosa called. According to the script, the Riolu had to use super effective moves against the two Pokemon belonging to Brycen-Man.

Force Palm knocked the Pawniard out. Briefly, Rosa wondered how these studio Pokemon liked their life. They win or lost according to a script, not to how skilled their partners were. Although, like with the version they had watched earlier, if the actor didn't know what they were doing with Pokemon battling, the Pokemon could lose when they were supposed to win. Hopefully they liked it.

Nate sneered, then switched out Pokeballs. “What use is trying? I'm going to end up humiliating you. Your dreams are futile, Riolu-Girl. Prepare to face the end of your brief career.”

“Bring it on!” Rosa said, striking a confident pose.

He then brought out the Vullaby, who managed to get their mood despite having not been around to witness it. She spread her wings (admittingly slim wings) wide and puffed herself up to look bigger. “Raaaaa!”

Maybe Pokemon could really hear through the Pokeball. According to the script, she and Riolu had to move first. “Ice Punch, no hesitation,” she ordered.

Barking in agreement, the Riolu dashed forward and turned his Ice Punch move into an uppercut, knocking the Vullaby backwards into the air. A pale blue glow followed both of them, hard to see against the bright green backdrop. Hopefully that made it into the recording.

“Your attempt at chaos and terror is over before it began,” Rosa said, pointing at Nate again. “Now surrender yourself to the police and justice.”

“Don't think you've gotten the best of me,” Nate said, clenching his fist. “You may have won this time, but this isn't the end.”

“Cut there,” the director said, coming over to them. “That was quite good for novice actors, both of you. I'd be happy to work with either of you again. Make sure to talk to the receptionist at the door so that we have a number for both of you, so we can call you when your version is ready for the first screening test.”

“All right!” Rosa said, jumping up and pumping her fist in the air. “We'll definitely be back to see it!”

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
And I'm using Colress again to skip a battle. lol, that won't happen every time. Believe me, I had much more fun writing that Pokestar segment than trying to write either Nate or Rosa against Roxie. Not that I have anything against the three of them.

As fun as the Pokestar sidequest is, their methods really don't seem that great for a real life company. Although if making CGI movies was that easy, I'd have fun doing that! You don't get paid for the movies, even though their 'income' is in the millions. However, if you go back and make a few regularly (especially with an odd ending or two to boost your star status), you can get a lot of items for talking to fans. I never ran out of lemonades or escape ropes even when I tried to use them up.

Someone on fanfiction.net thinks that Bard is Keldeo... River and Bard are considered partly due to having the same types as Keldeo too. Seeing talk about it amuses me. (and yes scizor, you probably should go back to brain-storming on your own work, haha)

Roxie seemed to be early or mid twenties to me.

Yes, I should. (and it's Physics revision, not brainstorming)

BUT THEN YOU DO THIS.

And there's not even any more theorybait.

CURSE YOU YSAVVRYL. I would say that I would never forgive you for this, but I will. Probably when you reveal exactly who Keldeo is and we all start feeling like idiots for not working it out sooner.

(When I get more theories later I'll edit them in here, or a later post. Probably.)

Last edited:

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 12: Moonlit Bay

May 27
Virbank

It was dark when they got out of the studio, but they decided to check the docks to see if the ferry ran late. Virbank was lively, even more so than it was during the day. For Nate, seeing all the other people here, mostly young adults but a good portion of middle aged people too, it provoked an odd dissonance of thoughts. Part of him wondered if the oddly dressed (to his mind; they might be edgy or punk) people hanging out in the streets were indulging in an unhealthy lifestyle or if they had a balance between business and fun. But another part of his mind was tempted to dismiss the analytical side and just have fun with the rest of them.

“Hey Rosa,” he said. “Do you think I'm too serious?”

“Mmm,” she grabbed one of her ponytails, checked it, then flipped it back, “you're not the most serious person I've met, but when you do get serious, you get really serious. I mean, you worry about that.” She laughed. “If it does worry you, then we can just go do something you think is fun for a day. I got to be in a movie,” she smiled, still high spirited from that, “so I'd be happy with most anything you suggest.”

He smiled. “Thanks. Although I'm not sure what. I was just wondering about the clubs these people go to, but I'm not sure.”

“Oh yeah,” she said, but not sounding terribly interested. “I suppose they like it. But I don't think I'd like it myself. I mean, lots of people in one room, with loud music playing, and people all trying to talk to each other at once. That kind of noise would make me tense, not relaxed enough to have fun.”

“You don't like loud music?” It seemed odd.

Rosa shrugged. “Well I don't so much mind the music as having so many things to listen to at once. I liked the music Roxie and her band were playing, although given how loud it was through the door, I'm glad they had stopped before we went in. I like music, but my favorite kind of music is just being out in the woods listening to the Pokemon calling.” She giggled. “Kinda silly, huh?”

“I don't think so,” Nate said. He was going to agree that that sounded like a nice thing to do when something happening nearby got his attention.

As they came to the corner to turn to the ferry dock, there was a crowd there. There were five people wearing the black and gray grab that the others of Plasma had been wearing. For all he knew, it might even be some of the same, with their head gear making it hard to identify any one of them. Standing opposite of them were Roxie and Hugh. “I've heard that you lot have been making trouble and bullying other Trainers around here lately,” Roxie said, her white hair looking particularly stark under the streetlight. “I'm gonna warn you this once to stop this nonsense, or I will get involved personally.”

“You have no idea what you're up against,” one of them said. “If you start getting in our way, you're going to be in major trouble later on.”

“Your big talk isn't about to scare me,” Hugh said, sounding harsher than Roxie.

The leader of the group pulled out a Pokeball. “Maybe it will when we defeat both of you and take your Pokemon away.”

Nate didn't have to say anything to Rosa. Of the same thoughts, they hurried over. “You'd have to get rid of us too,” Nate said.

Glancing over, Roxie began to smile. “Feeling confident, are you?” She then released a Pokemon Nate recognized right off the bat, a Weezing (it seemed a lot lager than he had imagined them being). It seemed like little more than a huge cloud of violet smoke, much like the Koffing but with an extra few heads budding off it. Picking up on its Trainer's mood, the Weezing made a sound that was half-cough and half-laugh, releasing some of its toxic gases.

One of the Plasma thieves took a step back. “What? I didn't see you... I haven't seen you use that Pokemon before.”

“That's because I've had mostly low-level challengers this month,” she replied. “Not only that, but Hathor here is too high of a level to use in any of the standard Gym teams. He's just been a buddy of mine for much too long for me to let him go just yet.” Roxie then beckoned them to start the fight. “You asked for a battle and you'd better not chicken out now.”

While it would have been interesting to see Roxie cream the whole lot with just Hathor, the Plasma group silently decided that they'd rather split up and try to fight all four of them. Even then, the one that approached Nate was an easy opponent, especially since Ruby was a Pignite. They all won. However, before anyone could say anything, the one who hadn't fought released a smoke bomb. Nate backed up, trying to get where the wind wasn't blowing the smoke. There were some loud sounds, in particular an engine starting up and heading out across the bay. When it cleared, the five thieves were gone.

Rosa was coughing. “Ugh, that stinks,” she said, covering her face.

“Yeah, they got away,” Hugh said, sounding mad.

“You okay?” Nate asked Rosa. She nodded, waiting until she was sure it was okay to take a good breath.

Perhaps due to working with Poison Pokemon, Roxie wasn't perturbed by the smoke. She took a few steps forward, looking through the remaining smoke at the water. “Sounds like they took a motorboat, maybe heading towards Castelia. We might be able to get the Coast Guard to intercept them.” She turned to them and smiled. “Hey, thanks for helping out. I don't know if they were being serious about taking our Pokemon, but after what happened a while back, can't be too careful.”

“I don't think you really needed our help, not with that guy,” Nate said.

Hathor the Weezing seemed pleased by that, grinning wide and making that hacking laugh sound. Roxie nodded. “I know, but when it comes down to it, it's people like you who help anyways that make the difference. Is there anything I can do to help you out?”

Nate shrugged. “Maybe? We were just going in to check if there was a late ferry over to Castelia since we're done here in Virbank.”

Putting her hand to her lips, she gave it some thought. “Not this late, not usually. But I think I can arrange for one. Follow me.” She headed into one of the nearby buildings; Nate and Rosa followed.

“To Castelia?” Hugh mumbled, then came along with them.

Inside the building, there was a counter where one of the ferry captains was drinking from a brown mug. “Hey pops,” Roxie called over, waving. “Could you take one more trip over to Castelia tonight for these folks? They helped me out just now. I need to call the Guard, though, since there was a group of thieving punks that took off.”

Her father raised his eyebrows. “Really? Well I have no trouble going over once more.”

“Thanks,” she said, but soon was making the call on her Xtransceiver to get the Coast Guard.

He chuckled and turned to them. “It's not often she asks for a favor like that, so you must have impressed her. Besides, it'll be a beautiful night to cross the bay. So the three of you are headed to Castelia?”

“That's right,” Hugh said. “When can we head over?”

“Give me a few minutes to finish a couple of things in here,” the captain said. “Head out that door in back to the dock where I keep my ferry. It's the white and blue one, with the Wingull sign.”

Out on the dock with his two friends, Nate looked around the water surrounding them. However, there weren't any signs of the fleeing Plasma group. “They must have followed the shoreline instead of going straight across,” he said. “I wonder what they were doing here.”

“They were probably up to no good,” Hugh said in disapproval.

Then the sound of a beeping Xtransciever caught their attention. Nate knew it wasn't his own, as he was wearing his and it wasn't vibrating. “Uh, is that one of your guys'?” Rosa asked.

“No,” Nate said, looking around. After a few beeps, Bard picked up the Xtransceiver sitting beside a crate. He tried to nibble it, then passed it over to Rosa when he decided it wasn't edible.

“Don't eat them,” she said, taking it and pressing the answer button. “Hello?

“Ah, hello?” a guy's voice said, his voice not too clear. Which was odd, since the black and silver phone seemed new other than a few scratches from when it must have been dropped. “Where is this?”

“The ferry docks in Virbank,” Rosa replied. “Did you lose this Xtransicever?”

“Yeah, that's right. The ferry docks? I didn't think... oh wait, yeah, I can see how that happened. Crud, I was hoping it would be here in Castelia.”

“I'm heading over to Castelia in a little bit, actually,” Rosa said, looking over at the ferry waiting on the captain. “Want me to bring this over to you?”

“That'd be grea.. oh, wait,” his voice turned nervous for some reason. “I'm not sure if we could meet up. I'm out with friends and it could be a while, and even then...” a muffled voice came from the other end. “It's nothing,” he said, apparently talking to someone else. “Don't worry about it. Sorry, but I'll get back to you. Please hang onto this for now so I can reach you.” The call was then disconnected.

“Aaiii fri,” Medusa said, floating over and trying to touch the black and silver Xtransciever in Rosa's hand.

“Wow, he must be really busy,” Rosa said. “He didn't even tell me his name.”

“What'd he look like?” Hugh asked, looking at the unit suspiciously.

“He sounded drunk,” Nate added. Maybe he should go with Rosa when she went to find him.

She shrugged. “I don't know; there was no video feed.”

“You'd be better off turning it in to the Xtransciever company so they can get it back to him, instead of trying to find some stranger in the city,” Hugh said.

“Well he asked me to hang on to it,” she said, before putting it in her bag. “It shouldn't be much trouble to meet up with the guy in Castelia tomorrow.”

At that point, two people came walking down the dock to them. One was the ferry captain; the other was a woman with glasses and a bag made of blue denim at her side. The captain nodded to them. “Sorry to take a little while, but we've picked up another passenger as well. Come on board and we'll leave in a few minutes.”

“Excuse me,” the woman said in a quiet voice as she followed the captain onto the ferry. Oddly enough, she seemed familiar to Nate but he couldn't think of when he'd seen her before. But he wasn't from this world, right? Either she looked like someone he knew, or what little he had of his memory wasn't right. It made him feel uneasy, but then she hadn't reacted to him in any particular way.

Ten minutes later, they were crossing over the moonlit water. It was a beautiful night, like the captain had said. The sky was clear, although only the stars on the western half and the horizon could be seen. Across the bay, there waited a big brilliantly lit city with buildings soaring into the sky. In between, it was all dark calm waters, stretching out to the southern horizon. The full moon illuminated the surface, making the shifting textures of the waves visible. Despite this, Nate didn't see any other boats on the water. Not even the one the Plasma group had escaped on.

Hugh seemed mad still, standing near the front of the ship looking off at Castelia. But Nate decided to try talking to him anyhow. It made him less nervous than trying to speak to that woman. “Those guys were cowards, weren't they?” Nate asked.

Hugh glanced at him, then nodded. “Trying to scare everyone into obeying them, but once you stand up to them, they're not so tough. Hmph.” He hit the railing with his fist. “Maybe most of them are only full of hot air, but there are a few that are monstrously talented. Don't think this is going to be easy the whole way.”

“It hasn't all been easy,” he said, thinking of how long it had taken him to defeat Roxie. “What have you been doing? I thought you were going to head out with us from Aspertia.”

“I was going to head out with Rosa,” he said. “Not that I'm jealous of you guys; don't take things the wrong way. At first, I was going to travel with my sister Violet, but she didn't seem as interested. On the other hand, Rosa was all fired up to go on a journey. And she's clever and brave. Don't be fooled by her surface act, as she was one of the top students in school. She would've been a big help, but she's also naive and too excitable. I was going to look after her. But then you came along.”

Hearing that worried Nate. “What are you planning? It sounds like it could be trouble.”

“It'll be trouble for them,” Hugh said bitterly. He leaned on the railing, looking to Castelia still. “You are new, so you wouldn't have heard. It was almost five years ago now when I first heard of Team Plasma. A lot of people only think they emerged about three years ago, but they've been around longer than that. What happened was... I was with my original starter Pokemon, a Lillipup, and we were with Violet. She had gotten a Pokemon too, a Purrloin; our grandfather had just caught them both for us. We were out playing on Route 19 when we were approached by a strange woman in black.

“Since we were both new Trainers, we thought there wouldn't be any problem if we fought her. I mean, there hadn't been any trouble back then. But that woman, her Pokemon fought viciously. My Lillipup was hit really hard and I knew even back then that it was a serious wound. She defeated us and if it had been any normal fight, it would have ended there. Heck, most Trainers would offer to help if their opponent's Pokemon got hurt that badly. But instead, she threatened to turn her Pokemon on us if we didn't turn over our Pokemon to her. Both she and her Pokemon were merciless.”

“That's horrible,” Nate said. “Most of the Pokemon battles I see seem to be more like games to the Pokemon I did have a hard time the first time I saw Ruby got hurt, but if it was that badly, I don't know how I'd feel.”

Hugh bowed his head. “Most Pokemon are good, but this one, it seemed evil. There wasn't anything we could do about it either. I've never felt so helpless as I was at that moment. And then, our grandfather managed to find the Lillipup a few days later... he had died. We could never find my sister's Purrloin, even when the police sent out a list of Pokemon recovered from Team Plasma when they were broken up. I'm looking for her, but if she's still in possession of that woman, me and Vino are going to have to get a lot stronger, and build a great team.”

“How will you know that particular Purrloin when you find it?” Nate asked.

“Meow,” a Pokemon spoke up. Nate looked down, a bit startled by the meow when they were talking about a feline Pokemon. But, this one couldn't be Violet's old Pokemon. For one thing, it was a Skitty, with pink fur and a fluffy tail. It was wearing a yellow-orange scarf fitted to the right size for the small Pokemon, with a patch featuring peaches at the ends. The Skitty seemed to smile smugly at them.

“Are you trying to tease me?” Hugh asked, briefly irritated. He rubbed his neck. “We gave the two of them collars which should have stayed with them no matter what. Possibly like this kitten's scarf. Even if that's off, there's the DNA registry for all Pokeballs, and the Purrloin should recognize me.”

They would have continued talking, but Rosa ran up to them, pursued by Bard and Medusa. “Hey, isn't this great? It's like we're flying across the water!”

“We are going pretty fast,” Hugh said, smiling and acting like they hadn't just been talking about what was probably his worst memory.

Going over to Nate's other side, Rosa leaned over the railing and looked ahead. “Zoooom! Sometimes I dream about running over the water and I think it would be awesome to do that. Don't you think the bay is great?” Although her question could have been directed at either of them, she looked specifically at Nate.

“It is,” he said, smiling. Medusa came up to investigate the new Pokemon, causing the Skitty to bat at her tentacles. “It would be nice to travel around on a smaller boat though, to be closer to the water. Or maybe dive. Is this a good area to dive in?”

“I think so,” Hugh said. “Mostly when you hear of divers, they're off in Undella Bay or near Hamilau. You have to be careful here because of all the shipping barges that come through.”

“Yeah, that could cause trouble,” Nate agreed.

“Sometimes I think it would be cool to live here by the bay,” Rosa said. “Or at least along this river.”

Nate shrugged. “Maybe. But I think I’d rather live by a lake in the woods. That way I wouldn't have to deal with all the city crowds everyday and could enjoy nature more.”

Rosa laughed. “Me too!”

A crooning call from behind them interrupted their conversation. It was another Pokemon, this time a blue turtle with a brown shell and a long curled tail, around which there was a yellow ribbon. At this, the Skitty flicked its tail before strolling over in an unconcerned manner. They were heading off to the side of the boat opposite of where Rosa had been.

“Wow!” Rosa said, her eyes seeming to sparkle. “It's a Squirtle! I thought they were rare.”

“They must be, because I wouldn't have known what to call it,” Hugh said.

“I should ask her Trainer about her!” She then followed after the two Pokemon.

“At least she's having a great day,” Nate said. But, the only others on the boat were the captain and that familiar-seeming woman. Maybe...

Hugh turned around to watch her. “She lost Pokemon to Team Plasma too.”

“Her too?” Nate asked, looking to him and briefly forgetting his uneasiness.

He nodded. “They were living in Nimbasa at the time, but were convinced by some of the early Plasma speakers to release their Pokemon. There were a lot of people like them who fell under the pressure. Then they ended up moving out to Aspertia before Plasma fully came out in public over there. If their Pokemon were disappointed by that, they couldn't know because they left the area.”

“Maybe one of them will recognize her,” Nate said, partly wondering aloud.

“I hope so.” Then he looked at Nate. “Make sure to take good care of your Pokemon, and don't lose them. Also, take care of Rosa too.”

Nate thought about it a moment, then nodded. “I think she can handle herself. But, I’ll keep an eye on her.”

“Thanks. That's one less thing to worry about.” Then they heard Rosa yelp. “What now?” Hugh asked, going over to investigate.

They found Rosa over by the other passenger on the ferry, a little pale and shaking. Bard, Medusa, and even River were trying to calm her down while the woman held a leafy lizard Pokemon close to reassure it. “I'm sorry about that,” she said. “Trey is actually quite friendly and he was probably trying to impress you.”

“S-sorry,” Rosa said, putting her hands to her chest. “I, um, I came to ask about your Squirtle and I wasn't expecting to get jumped on by a, a lizard.”

“Ththh,” the Treecko replied, crawling onto the woman's shoulder opposite Rosa to watch the girl cautiously.

“Just a scare?” Nate asked, putting his hand on Rosa's shoulder.

She tensed briefly, but relaxed and smiled on seeing him. “Oh, ah, I'll be okay.” She sat down on the bench near the woman. The Squirtle came over to Rosa and reached a paw up to her.

“I wouldn't mind talking about her, although these are just some friends visiting me,” the woman said. “That's Stacy, the leader of this little group. She's really sweet, but she's also quite strong, more than most people expect. Oh, and the Skitty there is Kip. Watch out for him, since he can be the most trouble.”

Kip purred loudly, puffing his chest up in pride.

“How can any Pokemon that small be trouble?” Hugh asked.

She laughed a little. “Being small increases his mischief, I think.”

“Who are you?” Nate asked. “I have the weirdest feeling that I should know you.”

“Well,” she put her hand to her cheek. “Most people around here can't pronounce my name. Call me Ysabell, that will do. I'm a fortune teller and collector of stories, but I travel a lot and see many people. I'm sorry, I couldn't say that I recognize you...” she bit her lip.

“Maybe she just looks like someone you knew,” Hugh suggested.

“Maybe.”

“Wait, you're a fortune teller?” Rosa asked, thinking of something. “Like you can see the future or tell what's the truth?”

“Ah-haha, well,” she smiled and looked to the Treecko. “I can, but it's a way of mysteries. Some answers may be clear, others won't be revealed until more is known. If you wish for some fortunes, or perhaps an attempt to answer a question you have, I could try.” She opened her bag, getting an excited chitter from Trey. “Yes, I know you like the book especially much. It too much for even you to read, though.”

Rosa smiled. “That'd be great! We have lots of questions.”

“We don't mean to bother you, but that would be a help,” Nate said.

Ysabell nodded. “That's fine; I'm more likely to cause you trouble than you are to cause it to me. So I hope this won't be a bother.” She then pulled out a large hardback book, enough to cover her lap while closed. It had a brown and gold cover with no title and the pages... well they were filled with some kind of text that Nate found illegible. “What questions do you have?”

“Where's Hilda Medley?” Rosa asked, peering over and trying to understand the book too.

“Hilda...” she raised on hand above the book and half-closed her eyes. The pages then turned of their own accord, eventually falling onto one that had a picture of a stained glass window on it. The window, strangely enough, showed Zekrom and Reshiram. “She's in a church.”

“What's she doing in a church?” Hugh asked.

“That's all I can tell now,” Ysabell said. “Any other questions?”

“I'm looking for a particular Purrloin, one that used to belong to my sister,” Hugh said.

She nodded. “Okay, I should be able to...” she focused on searching through her book, eventually landing on a picture of an ornate knife. “The Purrloin is still with her captor. Only, this person... I wouldn't be able to locate her, except by luck. I'm sorry.”

“At least I know more of what to expect,” Hugh said, his mood turning grim.

“Even if you find her, she's still going to be difficult to deal with. Be careful.”

“Where's Kyurem?” Nate asked, thinking that might help.

The next page turned to had a frost pattern all over it. “It's hard to say. Behind a wall?” She frowned and tried brushing the page off. “The frost is making it difficult to read this page. I'm sorry.”

Watching her work her fortune telling, Nate wondered how she did this. It was like magic, but even in this world, that seemed far-fetched. He decided on a question that was both helpful to get an answer and a test of her ability. “It's fine. How about Keldeo? Where is he?”

“All right,” she said, turning the pages. This time, she ended up on a page that depicted a scene on a ferry. Not only that, but it was a scene of this moment, with all of them and all the Pokemon in the same places: Bard and Stacy sitting by Rosa, River standing on the bench behind her, Ruby and Argent by Nate, Medusa just behind them, Vino gripping Hugh's jeans, Trey on Ysabell's shoulder, and Kip sitting on the ground watching. Even the Treecko's eyes went wide at that picture. “Oh, he seems to be right here!” Then she laughed and turned a single page. “Hah, well we shouldn't be looking at that too long. Ever see a live TV broadcast where the recorder is also the viewer? Don't look to far into the abyss.”

While that made Rosa and Hugh laugh, it made Nate feel nervous for reasons he couldn't explain. Ysabell seemed to be a real fortune teller. Or more? “I see... we've been told something like that before. One more from me, if it's okay...”

“You want to know about your ability, right?” Ysabell asked, taking a quick glance back at the page. “At least that's what this text says is your next question.”

“That was it,” he said. Hopefully it would be the last question he had to be around for.

“Whoa, that's kind of scary,” Rosa said, delighted to be scared like that.

“What is it exactly?” she asked, looking up at him.

“I can't really answer that,” Nate said. “I see things on rare occasion, sometimes like the memories of others, but sometimes not. Plus my own memory is scrambled, so I have no idea why.”

Ysabell thought about it a moment, then offered her hand. “Here, it may be quicker to have the book examine you. Put your hand with mine, just outside of its reach.”

Nodding, he did as asked. As the book began to turn, he felt something odd with the hand there. It was like static, not sending out sparks but emitting a low level of energy. When the book settled, it was near the end of the book, on a page with some kind of chart.

She studied it for a moment, putting her hand on the page. “It would... you have the power known as Memory Link. So you're right, you are seeing the memories of others. This power is most often temporary, given by a legendary Pokemon to help with a task they assign. Once your task is complete, the Memory Link will no longer be active. And then,” she shifted her focus to the chart, “when you were given the power, you were also given some images of the near future to help guide you. These images will be triggered in the same way as the memories: when you're in the right place, with the right person, at the right time, or any combination of that. They're like a preview of the future, although not set in stone. There's a chance that you won't even be present for those events, but the people, places, and items involved, they will be important to you.”

“Wow, that's pretty cool,” Rosa said, looking at him. “If you could learn to control that, you could learn many things.”

“I don’t know if I can control it,” he said, rubbing his head.

“That's right, it's not under conscious control,” Ysabell said. “But at least you know what to call it...” her Xtransciever rang, causing her to be distracted. “Oh, it's Sally. Sorry, but I need to take this call and she's a little hard to talk with. I hope I helped you a little bit.” She then turned her attention to the call.

Because of that, the three of them headed back to the front of the ferry. “Was that sort of helpful?” Hugh asked, his eyes focused in thought as he walked. “She could have at least told you guys which church Hilda was at.”

Rosa shrugged. “Maybe her book doesn't even know more than that. But hey, at least the Purrloin is still alive. There's hope you can get her back! Hey, what do you guys want to do when we get into Castelia?”

“Find a hotel and get some sleep,” Nate replied. “It's been a long day.”

She laughed. “I suppose it has been. But it's been just wonderful! Hey Hugh, did you hear? We got to make a movie!”

“You what?” Hugh asked, confused. So for the rest of the trip, Rosa told him all about what had happened after they had both beat the gym.

It had been a long day... but a good one.