• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ClicheStorm 2 (PG-13)

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
New chapter's at the end of previous page. Go read that first!

Now we have an author appearance and character cameos! The three Pokemon here, as some of you might remember, are from PMD: Loopholes. Normally, I wouldn't use an author insert. Haven't for years. However, the name Ysavvryl comes from a character of that sort from the first full novel I ever wrote (never published, probably won't unless it's heavily edited and changed). She was an angelic dragon guide I used in trying to railroad the plot when I kept wandering off in tangents. Although, I've been using the name for myself so much that I'd have a hard time writing that character as anything but that kind of role. So... she appears here to give some vague help, but as a human this time. Which is good, because reading over her original description is pretty ridiculous to me now. Ah well, have to write bad stuff to learn!

And no, my real name is not Ysabell. But I would totally name a Koffing/Weezing Hathor. Beelzebub would be cool too, but I associate that with Gengar due to other stories I've written.

Last edited:
...Now that's just confusing. Team Marmalade are there just as a cameo, probably.

Well, hopefully cameo. Considering Kip turned out to be Darkrai... Waitaminute, you've used this disguise setup there too, didn't you? SUre, it was less intentional on the part of the recipient and more a learning experience from Arceus, but it was still there.
But Ysabell? That's just to confuse us. Or, as you said, railroad and exposit.

..still confusing though.

On the other hand, theory time!

Well, considering what I said over on FF.net, about the Riolu instantly taking note of Rosa's aura, and her horrified reaction to Trey, the needle's pointing back at her. Especially with the Memory Link.
Then again, which legend would have given that to him? Kyurem or Keldeo probably. But Kyurem is in isolation with whatever Team Plasma is doing to him over near the Giant Chasm, and Keldeo's kind of out of action at the moment, so... Who? Good question.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Wow, for a moment I was forming a conspiracy about Violet's purrloin being Pricilla... Then Ysabell shows up and says that she is still alive. Oh well...

Last edited:

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 13: The Hilarious And Hospitable Hidden Harlequin Hunt

May 28
Castelia City

Although Rosa left the lost Xtransciever out on a sidetable, she didn't get a call back until the next morning, when she was brushing her hair. “Hello, you got me again,” she said cheerfully as she brought it closer to the chair she had been sitting in.

“That's good,” the guy said, sounding like he wasn't a morning person. “Listen, sorry about how we got cut off last time. It's been a rough week.”

“That's okay,” Rosa said. “Days like that happen. Anyhow, I'm Rosa.”

“That's a pretty name. Um, I'm Curtis.” He grumbled for a moment. “Ugh, sorry, really not the best of mornings for me. I've got a few minutes to talk. What'll you be doing in Castelia City?”

“Today, I dunno,” she said, back to brushing her hair. Bard was already searching around her room for something to play with. “I'm traveling around with my friend Nate; we're both Pokemon Trainers challenging the Pokemon League. We'll either be training or exploring the city today, since we just arrived.”

“Really? I always thought that sounded like an interesting thing to do, traveling around at your own pace and working with your Pokemon to accomplish a worthy goal.”

She laughed. “I wasn't thinking quite that lofty when I started out! I just wanted to have fun, you know, like Hilda did. I was hoping to get to meet her too, since she's my hero, but apparently nobody seen her in a long time.”

“Huh, I hadn't heard about that. Then again, I haven't heard about her on TV or anything lately. I didn't think anything of it because, you know, fame tends to be fleeting.”

“More than just not hearing about her. Even her friends don't know where she is. It's a mystery, and maybe we can solve it. You should travel for the League too if that's what you want. It's tough, but great at the same time.”

“I couldn't do that, not now,” Curtis said, sounding disappointed. “I'm busy with work almost every day, so I don't have time for that. I even have to follow the schedule for when I spend time with my Pokemon and train them.”

Rosa raised her eyebrows. “Wow, that's rough. What kind of job do you have?”

“Ah, hah hah, I can't really say.” Even his laughs seem nervous now.

That didn't seem right, so she decided to try cheering him up. “Whoa, are you like a government secret agent with mysterious super powers? That is sooo cool!”

This time, he broke into genuine laughter. “N-no, not that. I wish, though. That would be amazing.”

“But that's exactly what a secret agent would say to throw off suspicion! Don't worry; I won't let anyone in on your little secret.”

“Oh dear, what have I gotten into now?” Curtis said in amusement. “More seriously, are you going to be in Castelia City all day?”

“I should be,” she said.

“Good, then I'll call you back if we can arrange to meet up. I've already told everyone to call back to the old phone I'm using now, so I should be the only one calling the one you have. I don't know if we can get together today, but keep hanging onto that phone for now.”

“Are you sure?” she asked. “I might be able to get it to you quicker through the company.”

“Let's just try to meet up in person for now. Anyhow, I've got to go. Talk to you later, Rosa.”

“Yeah, later Curtis,” she said, turning off the Xtransciever when the call disconnected. What was bothering him? Hopefully she'd brightened his morning a little bit with the jokes. She continued working on her hair, her thoughts turning to Nate and if he was up yet.

-+-

Nate was woken up by the shadow of a train outside of his window disrupting the early sunlight. He sat up and opened his eyes, but the train had already gone by. Wondering at how little noise it had made, he got out of bed and looked around the hotel room. Argent was already up and investigating the TV, while Ruby was still asleep on the other bed. Rosa had taken another room. Due to being outside the elevated train tracks and to being so small, these rooms had been low priced. Not that he minded; the train wasn't that much of a problem.

He got dressed, roused his Pignite, and prepared for the day. Castelia was a big city, but Rosa assured him that there would be places to train Pokemon even in a place like this. Meeting up with her in the lobby, they headed out to a diner in the same building for some breakfast.

“Last night, I was looking on the internet and found a debate about whether or not you should feed your Pokemon like this,” Rosa said. “Because if you hook their Pokeballs up to a charger station, then you don't really have to feed them, just make sure they get some water daily.”

“That doesn't seem healthy for a living creature,” Nate said, looking at their Pokemon. They were all eating breakfast too; Ruby had the most, presumably because her natural fires needed a lot of energy.

Rosa nodded. “And they're happier with actual food, I think. Not only that, but we keep ours out and around a lot. Maybe they need more energy like that; I could ask my Mom about it. But I certainly wouldn't keep them cooped up in a Pokeball all day.”

“I didn't even have them in their Pokeballs last night,” Nate said.

“Me either! So, what do we want to do now that we're in Castelia?”

He shrugged. “Look around, as usual. Do you know of anywhere that might be associated with Hilda?”

Surprisingly, Rosa nodded. “Oh yeah, the central plaza. When she was here to beat Burgh's Gym, there was one day where she somehow got a hold of a cape just like the one Ghetsis always wore and she wore that near the fountain and mocked him in a parody of his big long-winded speeches. It was really amazing. So yeah, that place.”

“Okay, then we'll have to go there,” he said.

Without warning, a glittering jingling colorful ball bounced onto their table, precariously hitting between his plate and the bin of condiments and napkins. Bard was immediately distracted from his meal, looking at it with big shining eyes. However, Ruby managed to pluck it out of the air first. The Pignite teasingly held it over her head while the Dewott dropped under the table and gave her a begging look from there.

“Oh dear, I seem to have tossed the ball your way,” a cheery voice said behind him. Then a harlequin dressed in bright orange, red, and silver was standing by him, with his hands on the table. The bells on the three tips of his hat jingled as he shifted his head. “Sorry, but at least I made your Pokemon's morning more fun!”

Rosa laughed and tried to snatch the ball from Ruby (but she was too nimble and got it away). “It sure did. Aw, come on Ruby, give the ball back.”

The harlequin flicked his wrist and made another ball appear. “No problem; they can keep it. I've got plenty hanging around.”

Nudging his Pokemon, Nate pointed down a space between tables where no one was sitting. Ruby nodded and tossed the harlequin's ball that way. Bard tore after it, knocking over several chairs and crashing into the wall as he caught it. Thankfully, he didn't break anything doing that and even the staff made a few chuckles as Bard proudly came back to their table with the prized ball in hand.

“Aw, you look so happy,” Rosa said, patting Bard on the head. “Thanks for that.”

“Hey, did I happen to hear that you two are new in town?” the harlequin said. “Castelia is a wonderful place. Do you have bikes to get around with? All of the vehicle traffic is underground or over-ground, so you're free to bike wherever you like on the ground.”

“I have a bike,” she said.

“You do?” Nate asked.

She shrugged. “Yeah, but I didn't want to use it because you don't. But I thought it might be handy.”

The harlequin tossed the jingling ball up. “Well you're in luck! Today we're having an extra-special event for the Medal Meet: the Hilarious And Hospitable Hidden Harlequin Hunt! Bike around all day and find the five hidden harlequins all over the city, not including me here in the hotel, by nine o'clock and we'll let you keep the bike you use. Make it in good time and I'll throw in an extra prize package.”

“The bike I use?” Nate asked. Were they really just going to give it to him?

“Yes!” the harlequin said, whirling his hands about and making a bike appear out of thin air (or probably from virtual storage with some flourish). It was candy apple red with a large wire basket on back, all of it sturdy looking but light. On part of the frame, there was a small device wrapped around the bar. “For a guy like you, a red one! You may borrow it for the day and if you win, I'll take the tracking device off and you may keep it.” The harlequin winked. “You might even be able to use the device to help you. Maybe. Maybe not. You'll just have to explore around and see! Well, good luck and have fun! This is a great city to take a bike ride in. Castelia, Castelia, here we come!” The harlequin then whirled off (literally), singing his song and talking to another group about his hide and seek contest.

“Wow, that's lucky!” Rosa said, admiring the bike. “We were going to just explore, but now we have a mission!”

He shrugged. “Yeah, but we need to find five people in this big city. Well, I’ll finish breakfast and then fiddle with that tracking device and see if I can find what he was hinting at.”

Since the bike was in the way in the diner, he later took it into the lobby to look it over. When he was examining the tracking device, he got an alert from his Xtransceiver that it was trying to send an app to him. Letting that download revealed that it was a tracker for the harlequins, which would alert them to the location of one of them through a matching device they wore. That made the task of finding them look more manageable, so they headed out to ride around the city with their Pokemon following along if they wanted.

Rosa's bike was a light sparkling blue, with a white wicker basket decorated with silk flowers behind the seat and ribbons of various blues and silvers on the handles. Keeping their gear in the baskets (and one Pokemon, as River decided to ride in the basket of Rosa's bike), they were able to get around the streets quickly. The morning air was misty, yet the sun still shone bright. But they didn't get far from the hotel when they saw something interesting out on the docks.

It was a massive ship made of metal and wood, over three times the size of the ferry they had ridden. There were large walls around the body of the ship, making it hard to see the deck even from their position on the higher streets. Painted a motley arrangement of blue, black, and gray, there weren't any signs of what the ship was for. And yet the oddest thing about it was that it had three large masts with canvas sails hanging from them. Someone was up there, doing work on the sails.

“Wow, what's a frigate doing here?” Rosa asked, enchanted at the sight. “Nobody uses that style of ship these days, especially with sails.”

“Maybe someone rich who really likes history?” Nate wondered aloud. “Or sailing? How do you know it's a frigate?”

She pointed over areas as she talked. “The shape of the hull is made to be especially maneuverable and fast, plus there's the way the masts and sails are formed. They're primarily warships with lots of cannons, and it looks like they've got most of the weapon ports sealed up. Probably good, since people probably wouldn't like it if it was fully armed. I went through a phase of really liking ships when I was a kid and I still remember most of it.”

“I see.” He checked his Xtranciever. “I’m getting a reading from the app that's nearby. Around...” he glanced away from the dock, then pointed out a building. “In that place.”

“Let's go then.” She took one last look at the ship, then followed him across the street to the building.

There was a bike rack they could leave their bikes at. While there were only a few others, Nate thought that some people might keep their bikes in digital storage, like how he kept most items that he didn't think he'd need right away to keep his traveling bag manageable. They weren't going to be here long, so they left the bikes outside while they went into a building with a sign that said 'Passerby Analytics- a research facility'.

There was a pleasant looking office setting inside, although there didn't seem to be many areas for a lot of workers. Maybe most of them worked upstairs. Instead, there were various tables in the middle, with booths where groups could talk privately in other areas. On the walls, electronic charts scrolled through various opinion polls. The harlequin there was dressed in an outfit much like the one they had met earlier. He was occupying himself with balancing various objects on top of a ruler.

When they got within a few feet of each other, both Nate's Xtransceiver and the harlequin's played a cheery chime. The harlequin tossed the items on the ruler up and caught them in his hands. “Hel-lo! I've been found already!” He whirled around, putting the items on a nearby table. Then he winked at them. “Good work in figuring out the device.”

“It wasn't that hard,” Nate said. “But yes, I'm here about your hide and seek thing.”

“The Hilarious And Hospitable Hidden Harlequin Hunt!” he corrected. “We're here to make sure you see many wonderful things about Castelia! So, this place,” he danced aside a couple of feet, then waved dramatically to the electronic charts. “This is Passerby Analytics, a place where they survey ideas! Marketing, politics, art, Pokemon, education, entertainment, harlequins, whatever it is, they have lots of questions to ask about it, and a lot of answers they've gathered. You might be able to earn a bit of money or a new product if you qualify for one of their big studies. But, they also offer a free app that lets you survey anyone who passes you by! Just pick a survey, activate your Xtransciever, and anyone who has the same app can find your survey and take it, letting you get a picture of what the people around you think.”

“I’ve seen that app,” Rosa said. “It was really popular in Nimbasa a few years back.”

The harlequin nodded. “Yup! They're adding and changing the surveys all the time, so you might still find out new and exciting things.” Then he danced back to them. “Since you've found me and listened to my tale, you have earned a Harlequin Medal!” He produced a green metal coin that fit in the palm of Nate's hand. “Find all five in good time and win a wonderful prize package! Good luck, and have fun biking in Castelia. Castelia, Castelia, here we come!” He then started singing and grabbed the things to balance on the ruler again.

On their way out, Nate commented, “Odd place to put as a potential tourist spot, if that's what this Harlequin Hunt is about.”

“Their app comes and goes as a fad,” Rosa said. “And they do have some fun surveys, although it would be more fun if they let you write your own surveys. Sometimes they do, but as a contest where they only put out a handful of user-written surveys. Maybe it might be good for some extra cash, if we can.”

Nate shrugged. “We seem to be making a fairly good amount with just battling earnings from the League. Maybe if we needed to get something big.”

“Where do we go for the next one?”

He checked his Xtransciever. “I'm getting one from further down this street, and another about the same distance in the other direction, I think.”

“Hey, would you two like to take a survey?” a woman called out before they left the building entirely. She came over to them. “It won't take long. Fifteen minutes tops and I’ll give you a little something for it.”

He glanced at Rosa, who shrugged. “I guess we have time,” he said.

The woman grinned. “Great! Come over to one of the tables and I’ll get the forms to you in a bit. Just don't peek!”

Sitting across from each other, they shared a table to fill out the survey given to them. It seemed to be some kind of opinion or personality survey. In a long list of questions, Nate was asked how he ranked certain traits in others, like integrity, kindness, wit, and beauty. The next section asked about things he valued, like if he wanted to be popular or if he would rather study (that didn't need a second thought to pick the latter). Then, it asked him a series of questions about situations and had various responses as the choices. Such as if he was surprised with a party, would he be spooked, be excited, or be mad? By the end of it, Nate wasn't sure what value this kind of survey held for research. It seemed more like fluff. But, they did do surveys for entertainment, didn't they?

When he was done, he passed it back to the woman. She told him to wait for a little while for her to analyze the two surveys. They chatted for a little bit of what kind of surveys they would want to run. Rosa wanted to ask about making some books into movies while Nate wanted to know what kind of myths people liked. Then, the woman came back to them. “Thanks for taking the survey,” she said, grinning. “As for the results, it says that you two share a lot of connections, but balance each other well in areas of difference. This means that you're a wonderfully compatible couple who could be together for many years.”

“What?” Rosa asked. “We're not dating.”

“You're not?” she asked. “But you came in with each other, and you look so cute together.”

“It's good to know we'd work together as friends, at least according to your survey,” Nate said. “But yeah, we're not dating.”

“Oh, well...” she shrugged, but kept smiling as she handed them a small ball of red yarn. “Take this anyways. It's an accessory that you may find useful on your Pokemon. Have a good day, then.”

Once they were really out of the building, Rosa looked up what she had. “It's a Destiny Knot,” she said. “Looks like if another Pokemon uses a move that causes infatuation, then it will also be infatuated.”

Nate rolled his eyes. “Of course.”

She looked puzzled. “Of course? What does that mean? It's just a small ball of red yarn, although I suppose there must be something about it that makes it work.”

“It's a symbol in...” he waved his hands a bit, then pulled his bike from the rack. There were lots of little droplets from the dispersing mist. “In several cultures, of the idea of the destiny of love. You know, the couple that falls in love at first sight and is destined to be together for all of their lives. It's said that they're connected by a red thread tied around their fingers, binding them together. Not literally, but a symbol.”

“Oh, that's why she wanted to give it to us.” She sighed as they rode off to the next street. “Why do people keep thinking we're a couple?”

“People like the idea of love,” Nate said. “Don't you like talking about people who get together and eventually get married?”

“I guess,” she said, blushing a bit.

Going down the next street, they spotted the local Gym, with a bright red and white Pokeball sign above the door. Like with the other two, it fit in nicely in the city. The signal didn't send them in there, though. It sent them into the building opposite the Gym, which had a tall neon sign listing many businesses located inside.

The harlequin was just inside, juggling many of the jingly balls. But going in there, Nate felt a sense of familiarity without it actually being familiar. Was this another place? He reached into his bag and got his storage device to pull out his migraine medication. Maybe if he caught it coming on, it wouldn't be as bad.

The Xtranscievers chimed, oddly startling. The harlequin came over without stopping her juggling act. “Hey-o, you're on the hunt? Well you've found me! Welcome.” She bowed, then started pulling a few balls out of rotation.

“Hi,”Rosa said. “What're you here for?”

“The Medal Office!” she said in a sing-song voice. “You can go up to the fourth floor if you want to visit. We're a wonderful organization that puts together many fun contests and prizes, much like the Hilarious And Hospitable Hidden Harlequin Hunt you're on now. Some of it we do for awareness of good causes and organizations, and some we just do for fun. And here is your fabulous medal for finding me!” She brought out an orange medal while juggling, then tossed it to Rosa.

“Thanks, but he's the one with the bike of yours,” she said, starting to hand it to him. Then she saw what he was doing. “You okay?”

“Maybe,” he said. “Is there a water fountain around? Or somewhere to get a drink?”

“We run vending machines too,” the harlequin said. “I think... ta-da-da!” She shifted her juggling to one hand, then pulled out a bottle of soda out of thin air. “I can go up to get more, so take this if you're not feeling well. Our vending machines are everywhere, selling drinks and snacks that both humans and Pokemon love. So if you like it, just look for the Fun-Times Vending Machines!” She then handed the soda to him.

“Thanks,” he said, opening it up to drink while taking the medicine. Then he sat down on one of the lobby couches.

Rosa sat next to him. “Did you see something?”

“I might,” he said, trying to relax. “I just felt something like I had before.” He took another drink, then closed his eyes.

Then it came to him.

In the now quiet lobby, Hilda was sitting with a man who had a full head of dark gray hair. One of his ears had a scarred nick in it. “What are you going to do now?” she asked. “The police are looking for you.”

“I know,” the man said. “I mean to go talk with them. I don't know what they want with me, but,” he shook his head. “I'll accept responsibility for what happened. We all need to do that, although I’m not sure how many of the others will.”

She put her hand on his. “If they put you in prison, then I’ll come visit you every day, Dad.”

Smiling, he squeezed her hand. “Thanks. I heard some things; were you sent to look for us? Some won't want to accept that we were being wrong, but now that things are out in the open, I'm sure others will. Like...” then he spoke a name that caused the vision to blur.

It was another scene of that same man, but looking a lot better with black hair. He was speaking, but what it was about wasn't clear. Like a dream, or a half-forgotten memory.

Like one of his own memories?

Nate found that he wasn't holding his soda. Instead, Rosa had it. “Nate?” She sounded worried.

“I'm okay,” he said. “May I have that back?”

“Sure,” she said, giving it to him. “You went totally silent, and then you started shaking and nearly dropped that. Did something bad happen here?”

“I don't think it's bad,” he said, then took a sip of the soda. “Hilda was talking with her father here. There was... something going on between them, something about him possibly ending up in prison. I didn't see why but then it changed into something else. I think I’ve known someone like her father; maybe he just looked like him. I started to remember something, but then I couldn't really grasp it.”

“Maybe if you met him, he might jog your memory more?” Rosa suggested. “Although, I wouldn't know who her father is. Might be able to ask Bianca about that, if she'd tell us.”

“It's a long shot, I think, but if we get a chance maybe,” he said, then sat back in the couch.

“Are you gonna be okay?” she asked.

He nodded. “I think so, since I caught it in time. Give me a moment to rest and I think we can keep going.”

While he rested, she checked on her email and did some other things online with her Xtransciever. Another person on the Harlequin Hunt came in, getting the same spiel about the Medal Office from the harlequin (although not about the vending machines; that had probably been a chance that she had sprang on to continue advertising for her employer). When he was ready to move on, the closest one was the one back on Port Street, past the Passerby Analytics building and the hotel. This signal was coming from the Unova Pokemon Battle Company.

The lobby of this place looked much like the one in the other building where the Medal Office was, except that on all of the walls, there were posters for various Pokemon battle groups. The Unova Pokemon League, the Battle Subway, even something calling itself a Triples Enthusiasts Club, there were many groups being advertised. Most prominent, there was an oversized poster for the battle company itself. 'Challenge us and help improve the wonderful products we make for you!' was what it claimed.

The harlequin here was with three small monkey Pokemon, playing games and doing tricks with them. When the chime came, the three monkeys hooted and began dancing about. The harlequin turned around. “Who's come looking for me? Is it you, pretty little miss?” He made an exaggerated bow, nearly touching his feet with his hat.

Giggling, Rosa shook her head. “No, it's him.”

He straightened up and saluted Nate. “Oh, I see. You're a lucky fellow to have her.”

“We're not dating,” Nate said, smiling in amusement at how often this was happening today.

Grinning back, the harlequin put his finger to his rubber nose. “You might want to make your move soon, since a lovely lass like her isn't going to stay single for long. Now then, you have found me at the magnificent Battle Company!” He gestured to the poster, quickly mimicked by his monkeys, who had all gotten on the back of one of the couches. “They make many great things that can be used by and on Pokemon in many situations, helping them out and making things more fun. They also make handy things for Trainers, like handy apps and references. Did I say handy twice? Sorry, but you know, everyone has two hands! Being handy twice is great!”

Rosa laughed at that, but Nate just smiled. “It would be.”

The harlequin bowed again. “Being that they make many good things, they are always looking to improve. And so, to this end, on several days of the week, Trainers are welcome to drop by and challenge available employees. Impress enough of the staff and you might even face the unusual CEO of the company, said to be one of the best Trainers in all of Castelia. Maybe later you can come drop in on them, but today, you are on the hunt! And so, here is your magnificent medal for finding me!” He then passed over a medal to Nate, identical to the other two, but red in color.

A battling company sounded interesting, like a place that could be used for training. While battling wild Pokemon helped their own become better, facing other human opponents, especially those that studied battling as their jobs, would help the two of them improve as well. But like the harlequin said, they were on a hunt today and with three found, it would be nice to get it done quickly and try for the special prize.

Following the signals, they came upon more skyscrapers as well as a row of cafes that were preparing to serve lunch. Some of the smells coming from them were delicious, reminding them of how much biking they'd done this morning. But they decided to go check out the next harlequin location before getting lunch.

As indicated by the statues outside, the building was an art museum. The harlequin here was busily making scribbles on a large drawing pad near the entrance. “Oh, hello there cutie,” she said as both of their Xtranscievers chimed. “Welcome to Studio Castelia, a wonder of a building. Down here is a public display of local artists, from the wonderful Burgh to up and coming stars in the art world. It's free to look around, but if you want to pay a bit, you can go upstairs to see displays of many more works of art for a cultural experience... or date.” She winked, but kept talking before they could interrupt. “Further up is an art school, if you feel creative yourself. I don't go, but I’ve got talent, don't you think?” She showed off the page which had a weirdly distorted face sticking its tongue out at them. It was so scribbly that it went beyond childish into straight up weird.

“Talent for something,” Nate agreed.

The harlequin giggled. “Oh, you're such a flirt. Okay, here, this is your lovely medal for finding this place of lovely culture.” She then produced a yellow medal and handed it over to Nate. “Be sure to take a moment to look around. You might find something of interest.”

After putting the medal with the others in his bag, Nate decided to look around. Rosa was already looking at some of the paintings. She pointed him to one. “Look, it's Keldeo.”

Interested, he looked at the picture. It was a Pokemon that seemed to be frolicking in a river underneath a waterfall. Keldeo seemed to be a cross between a tall long haired dog and a short pony, with white fur over much of its body, but a long wild mane of white, blue, and red hair over its forehead and down the back of its neck, which continued on down its tail. A pale blue crystal horn came out from the middle of its forehead; water droplets flew off of the horn as it played in the water.

“That's quite a painting,” Nate said, looking into the Pokemon's eyes. He could almost see its personality just in the image, a Pokemon that was playful and impish but one that could turn out to have deadly skill if the need for its power was there. “It... fits Keldeo well.”

“Do you know about him?” Rosa asked. She looked down, touching the sword necklace she seemed to be wearing daily now.

“I can think about him,” Nate said, rubbing his forehead. It was throbbing again, but passed quickly. “It was in some books at the school. He is loyal, honorable, and noble like all of the swordsmen guardians of the land. But, where the others keep Pokemon safe from humans and rarely trust humans, Keldeo is not as reserved as the others. He will jump in if he witnesses a human abusing a Pokemon, but he will just as quickly jump to the defense of a human that is being abused.”

“Yeah. I hope we do get to meet him.”

Nate chuckled. “Of course; he's of your favorite type.”

She laughed. “Not just that, but it is a plus! I have this of his; I keep thinking maybe...” she drew the tiny sword out of the case quickly, but then it turned out to be not as tiny as before. Rosa held up the longsword in front of her. “All right, I got it to work this time!”

“Where did you get that sword?” Nate asked, staring at it in disbelief. Sure, one could make items appear and disappear in this world with their item storage technology, but this clearly wasn't the same thing. He'd seen the toothpick sized sword before.

“My parents gave it to me,” she said, turning it around and looking back at the painting. “Apparently they met Keldeo once.”

An idea came to him, so he looked around. Most of their Pokemon had gone back into their Pokeballs while they were biking, but Argent and River were still out and about. “Have you tried to give that to River? Or one of your other Pokemon? If that belongs to Keldeo, and if what Meloetta said was right, maybe bringing it into contact with them will reveal their true self.”

“I thought of that, but they won't take it from me,” Rosa said. River even shook her head to the suggestion. Then Rosa focused on the sword a little longer before it turned tiny again. “I'm not even sure how to use this, but it must be able to do something more, I think.”

“Odd. We might want to look into it.” Then he pointed out a sign he'd noticed. “It looks like the current show is about local legends of Unova. There might be other pictures of interest here.”

“Oh yeah,” she said, so they looked further into the gallery.

Most of the paintings were of the legends about Pokemon, but there were some other myths on display. On the back wall, there were three paintings that stood out to the two of them. They were of the three legendary dragons of Unova. Not only that, but they were very recent, depicting them with their modern day partners. Hilda was with Kyurem in a snowy area, a guy named Hilbert was with Reshiram in a rocky mountainous area, and the former leader of Plasma N was with Zekrom in a forest opening.

Rosa pointed to the two latter paintings. “See these two guys? They were crowned the Kings back then, before they were recognized as heroes. Not only that, but they turned out to be brothers. Twin brothers, just like in the old legends about the twin heroes that originally made Reshiram and Zekrom what they were.”

“That's spooky,” Nate said. “Is Hilda related to them?”

She shrugged. “I don't think so. I hope not, anyhow, because there were rumors going around that she was dating or in love with one of them. Although, maybe that was like what's going on with us, just rumors because they were all friends. I did hear from them when they talked on TV that they were all friends, even though the way things were made N an enemy of the others.”

But seeing those paintings didn't trigger any connection for Nate, not like seeing the picture of Keldeo earlier. Since they were both feeling hungry from biking around all morning, they headed across the street to find something to eat. The street was starting to get more crowded, so if they wanted to find a table, they would need to do so soon before the major lunch rush came.

Once they had eaten, Nate searched for the last harlequin signal. It led them further away from the ports, into the center of the city. And it was quite a nice center, a round open plaza that was limited to pedestrians and bikes. There were clusters of trees and flowers, a large fountain in the center, a grouping of various vending machines, benches, picnic tables, and what seemed like a natural stage in a raised area around the fountain. On the fountain's edge, there was a harlequin dancing around in a goofy way for a small audience.

“This is the place!” Rosa said, pointing to the fountain. “I mean, where Hilda made fun of Ghetsis. Maybe you'll see that.”

“Maybe,” he said, looking around. “I shouldn't get the harlequin's attention unless I'm sure I won't see something. But then,” he paused. “I don't feel like I did when I entered that lobby.”

After a moment, they went closer to the fountain. Still not seeing anything, it almost startled Nate when the app beep with the harlequin's. She was balancing on one hand. “Oh-ho-ho, it seems I have to do my job now!” she said, elegantly flipping herself back to her feet. “Whoooo's my visitor?”

The people who had been watching her started to move on, so Nate and Rosa were able to come forward while walking their bikes over. “That was me,” he said, putting the kickstand down so he could let go of the bike.

“How nice! Welcome to Central Plaza!” She clapped her hands and twirled around. “Okay, I'll tell you about it. Castelia is built like a circle, from the formation of the docks to the northern edge of the city. And Central Plaza is the center hub of everything, the second that has ever been! It is a beautiful plaza where many people gather for celebrations, Pokemon battles, and contests. You should come every day and see what's going on!” The harlequin made a grand sweeping bow.

“What do you mean by the second hub?” Nate asked.

She tapped her head before standing back up. “At one time, Castelia was a smaller circle. The first hub was also the place where the city was founded, where the founder had the magnificent idea of building a magnificent city. If you want to go on a hunt for the foundation plaza, it could be a bigger hunt than searching for us harlequins.” The harlequin nodded, then pulled a blue medal apparently out of her ear. “Hey, even if I'm in an obvious spot, you found me well! So here, take this metal.” She tossed it over, then pointed to a street they hadn't explored. “Oh, and and a free tip cause I’m nice! There's a video game company down that street. They're pretty cool, because they sponsor a free and public battle dojo for all sorts of Trainers to train themselves and their Pokemon. Not only that, but they have this awesome virtual reality machine running. I saw it the other day, and wow! I really wanted to be there, but the office told me to be here. Have a good one! Castelia, Castelia, here we go!” She then made a hurried spinning dance around the edge of the fountain.

“Oo, I wonder if I can get some karate practice in,” Rosa said, looking back at that street.

“Or maybe find someone who can tell you how to fight with that sword?” Nate suggested, putting this medal with the others.

She shrugged. “Well there's no reason to be actually fighting, so a sword's actually kind of worthless outside of historical value and sport. This one might be worth something for it's connection to Keldeo, but not as a weapon.”

“By that reasoning, wouldn't knowing karate be good primarily for sport?” he asked. It was a curious thing about this world. He'd read news websites most evenings, but there was never talk of wars or riots.

“No, it's a whole lifestyle!” she said, grinning.

As that was the last of the harlequins, he and Rosa headed out to bike back to the hotel. The harlequin there was juggling the jingly balls next to the entrance to the diner. “Hello, it's one of our happy players,” he said. “Did you have a good time seeing the sights and sounds of Castelia City? More importantly, did you get all five metals?”

“I have them,” he said, pulling them out of his bag. “That was kinda fun, certainly informative.”

“Great!” The harlequin looked at the five, then pulled out a wad of confetti to throw over them. “And you have won! Fun fun, and you even got done before dinner, got done first! Which means, I get to take the tracker off your bike, and you get the extra prize package. Wah-la!” He then handed over a red box topped with a gold bow before going to make the bike Nate's fully.

Thinking that a clown's gift wouldn't be simple, Nate carefully checked the lid. It popped off as soon as it was touched, letting off another puff of confetti and bopping Ruby in the head. Inside, there were five Great Balls, a small bicycle pump, a bicycle repair kit, bungee cords, and a coupon for a free Casteliacone.

“And now, the bike is yours!” the harlequin said, coming over while idly tossing the tracker device. “Enjoy, and be sure to explore our beloved city even further. Castelia City, Castelia City, here we go!” He danced off while waiting on the next contest participant.

“Thanks!” he called, then turned to Rosa. “This'll be a big help, especially if we have a lot of ground to cover.”

She smiled. “Yeah, since we're going to go all over Unova. That's great!”

-+-

After finishing the harlequin hunt, Rosa and Nate decided to look around for the Pokecenter and any stores that might be of use to them. As the sun began to set, the Xtransciever they had found last night rang again. “Good evening,” she said, struggling to recall the guy's name for a moment.

But once he spoke, she remembered that it was Curtis. “Evening, Rosa,” he said, his voice sounding rough and tired. “Sorry, I was planning on meeting up with you in Castelia, but I kept forgetting to call and ended up in Driftveil with some friends.”

“That's okay,” she said. “I wouldn't have been able to answer for most of the day. Are you getting a cold? You don't sound that well.”

“I don't think it's a cold. I hope not; it should just be my voice getting hoarse from work today. Things went on longer than expected and it was rough. They brought me out here to go to a club and scout out, um, a business.”

“Are you old enough for that?” Nate asked, as he was close enough to hear.

“Well, technically no but I, uh, we can usually get in. Who was that?”

“Oh, that's my friend Nate,” Rosa said. “This is the guy who owns this, Curtis. He called me this morning.”

“I see,” Curtis said.

“Still, that doesn't sound like a good idea to be talking on the phone if your losing your voice or something. You should probably do something more relaxing.”

“And drink some hot tea with honey and a bit of lemon juice in it,” Nate suggested. “Or pineapple juice. Those would be better on your throat.”

“I suppose you're right,” Curtis said, oddly sounding relieved to be told not to go out with his friends. “Thanks for the concern. They've been bugging me to do things like go to nightclubs and such to unwind, or so they claim. But I'd rather be out fishing. I don't know if I have my gear here.” There were sounds like he was searching a bag.

“Fishing sounds like fun, but I've never gotten to do it,” Rosa said, glancing back at the shirts on sale that she'd been looking through. But it didn't hold her attention as much now.

Sounding more enthusiastic, he said, “It's a great thing, even times when nothing bites. When you get something, it's so exciting to battle against the catch to reel it in. I let the Pokemon I hook go most of the time, and the regular fish too unless I plan on cooking them. More about the fishing than the fish... ah yes, here it is. Don't have any bait, but I'm sure I can pick up something.”

“And some hot tea or something so you feel better,” she reminded him.

“Yeah, that too. I'm sure I can give the others the slip. Hey, if you can get a ferry up the river, maybe we can meet up.”

“I don't know,” Rosa said. “We've been biking around Castelia pretty much all day, so if I stop to sit for a while, I might fall asleep.”

“That's too bad,” he said, sounding disappointed. “We'll try again tomorrow, since I'll be back in the city then. Take care, Rosa.”

“You too Curtis,” she said.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
A long chapter, all about harlequins! I like how they give you a bike right as you enter the biggest city of the region, instead of shortly after you're done with plot events there like in the original. I think you might even be able to ignore the harlequins after you're given the bike, but I do their little quest anyhow. Plus, there's only three of them to find. I used five here because of the places I wanted to use.

On the topic of sidequests, I put in the lost Xtransciever quest early. You don't actually find it until Nimbasa. The two times I've played through the game, I haven't had to look up spots to receive the calls from Curtis, just because of the way I explore. For a little while, I debated possibly using Yancy, but since I always pick a girl character, I know Curtis' calls better. I have plans for him.

Also, a random warship that greets you in Castelia's docks! Well, I say random, but the game goes out of its way to point it out to you through Hugh. Sometimes, I don't mind that kind of thing because I know kids that play current Pokemon games as their first. Other times, I'd like them to do more things that reward an observant player. I love the few things that already are like that.

More importantly, did you get all five metals?”
Should be medals, I think.

Oooh, you have plans for Curtis do you? That's going to be interesting.

Also, Rosa knows lots about ships, while Nate takes specific note of a photograph of Keldeo. Hmm. Also, Nate sees what's presumably Sacred/Secret sword for the first time, and nothing. Hmm. Oh, and he's still on his idea that one of their Pokemon is Keldeo.

And the next Memory Link, with Hilda talking to Rood. Well, we're going to have to wait until Driftveil for that one.

Additionally, the awesome amount of added alliterative appeal attached here creates astoundingly appropriate amounts of awe, amazingly.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Well, more of the story is uncovered and we still don't know who Keldeo is. I still think he is Rosa due to her ability to wield Keldeo' s sword among other conspiracies. Glad this chapter was completed when it was, I needed a good read.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 14: What's in a Nickname?

May 30
Castelia

“I'm going back to the sewers to train more,” Nate said.

“Really?” Rosa asked, surprised to hear that. They were outside of the hotel on a bright sunny morning; it was already quite warm. While several people turned to look at them, she ignored them. “Why would you train there? Isn't it stinky with sewer wastes?”

He shook his head. “No, not that kind of place. It seems more like water drainage from the streets. Well, there are an awful lot of Poison Pokemon around down there, but it's effective as a training grounds. Why don't you come and see for yourself?”

“I don't know about that,” she said. “I like that dojo that the game company has. Lots of Trainers are there everyday to battle each other, and you can even train with the virtual games. We're doing pretty good, actually! Except if we come up against somebody with an Electric or Grass type. Then it's pretty much over at the start...” Because even if River could strike hard, she still tended to faint easily. Sometimes her Frillish could withstand an attack or two from them, but that wasn't always enough. A few times, she had run into a Trainer with a Steel Pokemon like Nate's Magnemite that was hard to damage with Water attacks. But River could handle them.

“You could always look for more variety,” Nate said, as usual. But then he added, “In Pokemon or moves, whichever works out. I was thinking about if I should pick up a third Pokemon myself, but I'm not sure what.”

Rosa tried to convince him to the dojo for today, but it seemed he was set on finding a new Pokemon in the sewer area. That area didn't interest her, so it seemed they would be splitting up again today. While that disappointed her for a bit, she realized that he might come with her tomorrow to train his new Pokemon. That would be something to look forward to.

The dojo was in the building housing a company called Game Freak; they had set aside five whole floors of their building for it. The Pokemon battle area was free to anyone who could prove they had beaten a Gym in the past year, which was easy because she'd gotten two since April. While they were free to go to any of the five floors, there was a recommended battle level which most visitors would follow. It made it a tough choice for Rosa, since the first floor was for Pokemon level 20 and under, and the second was for levels 20 to 40. Her Pokemon were right around level 20, so the first floor was often too easy, but the second could be too difficult.

While she was working with Angel, she noticed a girl younger than her standing off to the side and watching them. She was wearing a hat and shoes with silk flowers attached to them, which made her noticeable. But then had her shoulders hunched forward and looked at the ground rather than those that tried to talk to her. But she did follow Rosa to the healing station. “Umm,” the girl said.

“Hi, did you want to battle?” Rosa asked. That was the main purpose of this place.

She shook her head though. “No, uh, I don't have any Pokemon. I came here with my older sister. But, um, I wanted to know where you got your Swadloon.”

“I caught her as a Sewaddle on Route 20,” she replied. “I didn't see many out there, but there are a few.”

“Oh.” She put a hand to her chin. “Where is Route 20?”

“Between Flocessy and Virbank.”

“Uh, that's no good,” the girl said. “I, um, I heard you can catch them in Pinwheel Forest too, but my parents won't let me go out that way. They only let me go on Route 4, even though there's not many Pokemon out there. But I wanted to get a Swadloon, because they can become Leavanny, and Leavanny make clothes like I do, so, um...”

“Oo, did you make the stuff you're wearing?” Rosa asked, surprised to hear it. “Because it's really pretty.”

“Um, yeah, all of my outfit,” the girl said, turning pink and looking down. “Well I bought the shoes and hat, but I made the flowers myself and attached them. My grandma taught me.”

“Wow, that's great,” Rosa said. “Sewaddle make their own clothes too, because I saw Angel sew leaves onto her cloak. She still does.”

The girl looked over at Angel. “Oh, she has the loveliest name. Ummm...” she fidgeted uneasily.

“Thithill,” the Swadloon said, shifting her leaves aside to look up at the other girl.

She would like to have Angel, Rosa could figure out. And it might be good to give her over, especially since she was looking more like a Grass Pokemon. Although, Rosa knew she shouldn't be thinking like that. But it would make the girl happy, and Angel might be happy too. “She's a bit shy, but she's nice and tries her hardest to do well,” Rosa said. “Hey, would you like to have her? I've got several others, and I'm traveling so I can get other Pokemon readily.”

Angel looked at Rosa, back at the girl, and back at Rosa. She then showed one of her small legs and waved to the girl. Was that a sign that she was okay with that?

Although the girl looked up at her with wide eyes, she soon stammered out, “Umm, well, I couldn't just take a Pokemon. I have nothing to trade. But you're kind to offer.” She shifted her hat.

Hearing that, Angel gave a quiet whine and huddled back in her leaf cloak.

“Hey sis, what's going on?” an older girl asked, coming over to them. Rosa recognized her as someone she had fought earlier, both today and yesterday. But she had used entirely different teams to do so.

“Oh, I was, um, just talking to this girl about her Swadloon.”

“You could take her across the bay, right?” Rosa asked. “You two could get a Sewaddle there. Although I would've traded.”

“Hmm...would you still trade?” She brought out a storage device and searched on there. “I could get you a Ducklett I haven't really used, or some others.”

A Ducklett? Rosa's smile brightened at that. Duckletts were cute, and they seemed to move around often; seeing one today didn't mean you'd see it in the same area tomorrow. It might've been a headache to track one down herself. But this seemed like it could make all of them happy. “I'd like the Ducklett. Okay, I can do that trade.”

“Sure.” The older sister showed her how to do a trade without a machine. “You don't get evolutions this way, but that doesn't matter with these two,” she explained. Once the trade was made, she turned to her little sister. “But we'll need to find one to activate your Trainer license.”

The younger sister was delighted at it. “Thank you! And thank you too, um... hey, may I have your phone number? I'll send you a picture when she evolves so you can see too.”

“Uh-huh, sure,” Rosa said. “Actually, I'm gathering data for the Pokedex, so if we could meet up again at that time so I can scan her, that'd be great.”

“Okay,” the girl said. Her name turned out to be Melissa, while the Ducklett's information revealed her sister to be Tabatha. And the Ducklett himself was named Grim.

-+-

Nate wasn't sure what kind of Pokemon he was searching for, but he'd seen in his short look yesterday that the drainage system was likely long and sprawling. There should be a variety down here. Since he had no particular new team member in mind, he did his usual routine of catching many of the Pokemon and periodically releasing the ones he wasn't going to keep. The channels of the area were filled with water, but floating bridges allowed him to get around easily.

He let Ruby and Argent roam around freely. The Pignite usually stayed by his side, but Argent occasionally wandered off into the dim shadows, coming back when called. One time, the Magnemite came back on its own,squealing and waving its magnet arms around. “Sqiizzzzik!” It jabbed in the direction it had come from.

“Did you find something interesting?” Nate asked. When Argent seemed to nod (a different move as it didn't really have a head), he walked in the direction his Pokemon led. Around a corner, they spotted sunlight coming down a set of stairs. It wasn't the ones that they had taken to get down here. Curious to see where this led, he went up there.

They ended up in a small area that was surrounded by skyscrapers on every side. There wasn't a street that led here, only a few alleyways. And of those, only two seemed like they were meant to be used by pedestrians to get here. Despite that, there was a small park here, with tall grasses, flowering bushes, and even a tree that must have been thirty feet tall. The plants all looked healthy despite being in this hidden pocket of the city. From the grasses, he saw movement that suggested a few Pokemon made their homes here. A small pink feline face looked at him for a moment before its owner vanished into the grass. It was a quiet area; there only was another guy on the other side of the tree, looking around and frowning.

“A secret area of the city, huh?” he said, mostly thinking aloud. “It's like one of those places you only find by exploring a game. Hmmm.” He closed his eyes and thought. Was this just a game? It certainly didn't seem so. The world was much too spontaneous and independent to be that. Maybe the game had just been a path through which to cross between worlds.

Right then, something damp plopped onto his head. Opening his eyes, he saw white. It turned out to be a lacy camisole with a wooden clothespin attached to it. Nate looked up and saw a number of clotheslines crossing between some of the buildings. On the lowest one, two stories up, there was a brown Pokemon trying to cross overhead. The line wobbled and dipped; the Pokemon's paw bumped into a clothespin and made the attached shirt dangle. The Pokemon stopped for a moment, possibly rethinking its decision to cross this way. But the wobbling of the line must have made it harder to balance, and it fell off with a fearful cry.

The other guy in the park turned immediately to the sound. “Hey!” He ran over.

Ruby was the one closest to the spot; she caught the falling Pokemon. Seeing it from a better angle, Nate recognized it as an Eevee. There was a pair of panties hanging on its ear; other articles of clothing fell through the air as well. The Eevee was wide eyed and tense. Once it squirmed, Ruby let it hop out of her arms.

“What were you doing this time?” the guy asked in an exasperated voice. “Geez, how'd you even get up there in the first place?”

“Probably up the fire escapes,” Nate said, glancing around. That seemed like the most reasonable way.

The Eevee whined and crouched close to the ground, holding its ears down.

“I'm not going to scold you this time; seems you scared yourself enough.” He snatched the panties off the Eevee, which caused it to flinch. “Man...”

“What's going on?” a voice called from a window above them. There was a woman peering out the window through the bars of the fire escape. “What're you doing with my laundry down there?”

“Sorry m'am,” the other guy said.

The woman groaned, then climbed out of the window to come down and fetch her clothes. The other guy and Nate helped her out. Meanwhile, the Eevee remained crouched, looking down at the ground in a guilty manner. Ruby and Argent stayed near it, trying to talk with it.

Once the woman was back in her apartment, the other guy said, “At least we didn't get yelled at. Thanks for having your Pignite catch her.”

“She did that on her own,” Nate said. “So thank her.”

He raised an eyebrow, then shrugged. “I guess. Oh hey, but you seem like the kind of person who's good with Pokemon.”

“How can you...?” He was about to ask how he could tell, but the other guy kept talking.

“You could be the kind of person who could bring the best out of a rare Pokemon like an Eevee,” he said. “How about it? You interested in trading Pokemon?” He looked at the Pignite.

“Not Ruby,” Nate said, hardly thinking about it. “I'm not trading Ruby for anything.”

He had a look of surprise at the intensity of that denial, but didn't let it deter him for long. “Okay... well what about the Magnemite? Or do you have another one?”

“I'm not sure if that's an even trade,” Nate said while various bits of data ran through his thoughts. Eevees were rare in the games, but Magnemites had an unusual and useful typing. “I don't have any others.”

“Well,” he looked down at the Eevee, who was still acting like she'd been told to sit in a corner because she'd misbehaved. Then he took a Pokeball and fiddled with it.

“You probably could find a trade for her easily,” Nate said, looking over at the area of tall grass. There were likely different Pokemon here than in the sewers, so it could be worth trying a few fights against the wild ones here. Or even doing more catch and release; he might need to check into that dojo to get money for more Pokeballs.

But to his surprise, the guy passed him the Pokeball. “Look, you've really got to be the kind of guy who cares about Pokemon, and knows a lot about them. So here, take her. I don’t care about a trade anymore, just take her.” Then he took off down an alley before Nate could refuse.

He watched the guy run off for a moment. What was that about? If what applied in the games applied here, then Eevees were rare and desirable Pokemon. They had many options of what to evolve into, but they had some charm staying in their basic form. Why just give one away to someone at random, just based on someone seeming like a good caring person?

The Eevee was still in her spot. Maybe she caused trouble. For some people, it might be better to be rid of a troublesome Pokemon than trying to reform it. Nate considered that he should have the Pokecenter check over her carefully in case there was some deeper trouble. But when he checked the status screen, he spotted another reason the guy would have wanted to pass the Eevee to someone else. Her nickname was Panty Thief.

“Hmm, I wonder if I can change nicknames now,” Nate said, sitting down by the Eevee. “Looks like you're with me now.” Since she didn't react, he tried petting her. “What were you up to? Climbing up there... to explore?” He looked back up at the clotheslines hanging overhead. There were several others in use. While he could understand bird Pokemon being up there, the Eevee seemed more like one that would be on the ground.

Looking up there, he felt a familiar feeling. There was something about this spot, either up there or down here.

The air was still cool, but there were tulips blooming in this hidden park. “I wonder who keeps up this place,” Hilda said, looking around. “It's pretty, considering how many sidestreets we had to take to get here.”

“They should be proud of their work,” Kyurem said. “Could we stop here for a short time?”

She turned back to him, raising her eyebrow. “Sure, if you want. We could let the others out too, since there's not much of a crowd.”

“Not quite yet,” he said, touching the icy half-mask that he always wore. “I want to ask about the one you love.”

“What do you mean?” she asked, confused by that turn in topic.

“You knew that both Hilbert and N were interested in you,” Kyurem said. “They've been away for nearly a year now. Have you decided between them?”

“Oh... not really. I thought I'd wait until they came back and see how they felt. I'm happy enough just having a lot of friends.”

“That's good to know,” he said, nodding. “But one thing I thought you should know... I love you too.”

She looked at him for a moment; he usually didn't joke around, but this was hard to believe. “You do? But you're a Pokemon, and an immortal at that.”

“Yes, so as I am and at this time, there's not much I can do about it. Perhaps in the future, but,” he came closer to her and put a hand on her shoulder. “Do what makes you happy. As long as you're well, I'm satisfied.”

He said this because he thought they were alone. But above them, on the balcony of an empty apartment, there were two strange people dressed in black. A third like them appeared out of thin air. “They're not ready,” she said.

“This would have been a good opportunity,” the other female said. “But if they say no, we'll have to wait.”

He was in a bright artificial place. Kyurem didn't know where he was and so far he hadn't cared. Between what they had done and what they were doing, it was hard to get motivated to do anything. He should care, but...

Sensing some other mind trying to make contact with him, he opened his eyes. There was someone else in there, startled at seeing the dragon move. However, Kyurem was more concerned with the one who wasn't there.

He growled a little. “You're not skilled at this,” he stated. “How you found me... you're looking for Hilda? You'd need to be able to look across time and space to another world; she's not here. If you can find her and bring her back, do so.”

Nate felt a static shock against his cheek, nearly knocking him off-balance. He wondered if that had broken his apparent contact with Kyurem or if he had lost that himself. “Bzzzt!” Argent was floating right in front of his face.

“I'm okay,” he said, nudging the Magnemite away. His head was starting to hurt, but it didn't seem as bad as earlier ones. Ruby put her arm around his shoulder, happy to hear that.

“Errr,” the Eevee said in a soft voice. She was sitting up now, tilting her head at him.

“I saw something too private to share, I think.” He got up, getting a sharper ache in his head for doing so. “But... she said it was a combination of factors. The scene in the lobby was a similar time and place. I have the place here, but not the time, so someone who was there then...” He turned around and saw a movement of black. There was no one there.

Then she appeared: black clothing that would have blended into shadows, white hair partly covering ethereal red eyes, graceful posture of someone dangerous. Very dangerous. Nate knew that for certain because he remembered seeing her (or one of her siblings, he knew she had a brother and sister) kill someone. But, how? Was it one of those images he'd been given as a warning, or something he remembered himself?

“What are you doing here?” she asked in an emotionless voice.

“How... do you... know me?” Nate said, hearing his voice as if it was far off. His vision began to blur painfully.

-+-

Rosa paced in the lobby of the dojo building. “Aw come on Nate, pick up,” she said, watching her Xtransciever. Maybe he wasn't getting a signal? He was supposed to be in the sewers.

But before he answered, Curtis' Xtransciever rang instead. She decided to try Nate again later, taking up the other phone instead. “Good afternoon!” she said.

“Hey, good afternoon to you too,” Curtis said, sounding cheerful this time. “I hope you don't mind me calling all of a sudden.”

“That's no problem,” Rosa said. “Are you free to meet up now?”

“Well, not really. I'm on lunch break...”

“What, now?” Rosa asked in disbelief. “It's almost two.”

“I know, I know,” he said. “But my schedule's like that most days. I mostly just wanted someone to talk to, since I've got a few minutes free before I need to get back.”

“That's okay,” she said, considering why he might have a schedule like that. “So does this mean that you're a chef at a restaurant? Since you're busy all the time and can't have lunch at lunchtime.”

He laughed at that. “No, not even close. I couldn't be a chef... well, unless I was allowed to cook fish. My uncle made the best grilled and fried fish in the world, and he taught me how. I'm not as good, but I do all right.”

“Oh, but fish are hard to cook, aren't they?” Rosa asked, thinking about helping her mom cook. “Because you have to get all the bones out and the scales off, and then it's really easy to overcook them.”

“That's true. But fish is the main thing I can cook that's not already prepared for you. Or ramen, but I guess that doesn't take much effort and would be hard to mess up.”

Rosa giggled at that. “My friend Hugh messed up ramen once!”

“What? How? I mean, maybe get distracted or if it's not the store-bought stuff...”

“Actually, he ripped the seasoning packet open too hard and the stuff went all over his clothes and the floor. Then he tried to make broth anyway; it tasted weird.”

“Yeah, that would do it. I wonder what they put in there. I know there's lots of salt, but what else?”

“I dunno.”

“What're you doing today?”

She grinned. “Awesome things! I just got a call from Pokestar Studios; they had me and Nate try out making a movie, and it's going to be test screened today! I'm trying to find him so we can go check it out.”

“Pokestar? Man, it's been a long time since I worked with them.”

Rosa raised her eyebrows. “Really, you acted for them?”

“Um, yeah,” he said, sounding a little embarrassed. “They have fun projects, but unless they've changed management in the past couple of years, I'd be wary of working with them too long. Things went a little shady with the last couple of films I made under their brand. And I've... overheard talk that Pokestar works better as a hobby rather than a main source of income, unless you're one of their standard actors. Then it's a whole other can of worms there.”

“Like what?” she asked.

“Just think about it for a bit. They have to play their roles dozens of times with various guest actors and even though they tend to have some experience, they aren't allowed to alter scripts as much as the guests. Sometimes I wonder how they can stand not getting bored.”

“Huh, I guess it could bore them. I thought it was lots of fun. Plus, don't some of the guest actors go on to become really famous? That would be so awesome!”

“Maybe,” Curtis said, but like Nate, he didn't have a lot of enthusiasm about it. “I'm not saying that you can't have fun with it. And maybe you will become famous, who knows? Just keep track of how much you work, because they've been known to avoid paying guest actors. Ask for a statement of working hours.”

“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind,” Rosa said. That might satisfy Nate too. She glanced at her own Xtransciever. “Aw, well I wanted to go see the test screening with Nate, but I think he'd try to call me back by now.”

“Maybe he can't get a signal? Oh, my break's over shortly, so I need to go. But thanks for talking.”

“Sure, call whenever you like,” she said. He seemed nice enough, if obsessed with his work at times. She wasn't sure why Hugh and Nate didn't seem to trust him.

There was a crash nearby. She looked over as Bard came rushing to her side, looking wide-eyed and spooked. By the wall, Medusa was scowling at a Yamask, holding her tentacles aggressively while it chuckled. The Yamask put the mask it was holding in its tail over its face. There was a guy near the Yamask, looking at at a tall magazine rack that had been knocked over.

“What happened?” Rosa said, going over to pick up some magazines that had slid her way.

“Are these your Pokemon?” the guy asked. “You should keep a better eye on them.”

“The Yamask isn't mine,” she said.

“Of course not,” he said while the Yamask kept laughing. He walked off, not even helping to pick up the magazines or the rack.

Feeling mad, she refused to look at him. “Hmph. I bet that Yamask scared you Bard, didn't it? Well, can't let someone else's rudeness get to me. I know you don't mean trouble.”

“Hoo wa,” Bard said, seeming embarrassed. He watched the Yamask leave the building warily before going to help her pick things up.

With that done, Rosa checked the ferry schedule on her Xtranscever, seeing that there was a chance to get to Virbank in time. However, she finally got a call back from Nate. Maybe she'd give him a hard time about taking so long to get back to her. But it was immediately apparent that something wasn't right. Blurry fingers appeared in front of the camera, then were moved back to show a rocky wall with a dome-shaped lamp on it. While it shook, she occasionally got a glimpse of Nate. “That should be your friend,” a woman's voice said.

Nate replied in a pained voice. “Wh-who? What are you doing here?”

“Nate?” Rosa asked, feeling for a moment like her heart had stopped.

“Is that your name?” the woman asked.

“Is it? I don't know. Ugh, what did you do?”

“What did you do to him?” Rosa snapped. If she had hurt him, then she would have to pay dearly for it.

“I brought him into the tunnel past the Castelia sewers,” she replied, so plain and calm that Rosa might have calmed down if she hadn't added, “I am deciding if he needs to die.”

“I won't let you!” she said, startling a group that was just entering the building.

“Hmm. Then you may wish to come here quickly.” The woman's black gloved hand appeared briefly in front of the screen as she disconnected the call.

Rosa looked over at her Pokemon, who were all watching her in concern. River nodded, soon followed by salutes and agreements from the rest. “Guys, we've got to go find them!” she said, clenching her fist at her side. “I don't know where exactly she means... but we'll find them, I know it! Let's go!”

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
obviously, the dojo in Castelia doesn't really exist. But other places here do exist. It certainly took long enough for a sewer dungeon to appear in a Pokemon game. There were some similar sorts of dungeons, but not fully a sewer. Like Nate said, this one is a storm drainage system, save for a few rooms with pipes. There's a female scientist who's doing work with poisons, so she's probably near the actual sewage or water treatment area. Given how close Castelia is to the water, the place probably keeps out the sea water from building foundations too.

I haven't dealt much with problematic Pokemon names in games, since any that I've gotten from trades are either from my games or friends who wouldn't do that. But I've heard of some crazy trade names, or stories where players are reluctant to use such Pokemon. So here, we have Grim the Ducklett and Panty Thief the Eevee. One of them has a randomized name. Guess which one?

The little hidden park is a cool place with some nice Pokemon to catch. But you never need to go there, so it is a little secret. Easy to locate, but still fun to find.

Oooh. Spooky. So the Shadow Triad, and hence Ghetsis, have taken an interest in Nate? And was that his memory getting scrambled again?

...I hope that's not going to be a recurring theme.

Also, in the Castelia Sewer? You find Grimer there, so while it might look clean, it's probably not. Also, as Nate is out of action, does that mean that the Hugh teamup is going to hapen here?

3D992

The Living Hologram
Dang, the Shadow Triad is way too over-powered. I really hope that Nate's memory didn't get scrambled again. Hate it when that happens. Also, YES! My enduring KyuremxHilda ship was at the least acknowledged. Wow, what a name for an Eevee... I'd be fine with Grim the Ducklett, but that Eevee...

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 15: Obligatory Sewer Dungeon

May 30
Virbank City

Rosa knew where the main sewer entrance was: at the end of the dock closest to Skyarrow Bridge. While she noted that the odd frigate was at a nearby dock, she didn't pay it heed past that. She had biked from the dojo to here quickly, determined to stop that woman from doing something to Nate. Looking down the long tunnel leading behind the sea wall, she wondered where to go from here. He had said that this was more of a water drainage system, which meant that it had to extend to all of the streets in Castelia. From that, this place had to be huge.

While most of her Pokemon had to be recalled to go faster, River had wanted to ride in the basket as usual. The Riolu jumped onto the dock as Rosa put up the bike. “Hey, you can see auras, right?” she asked. “Could you find him down there?”

Her ears lowered briefly as she lowered her head. But instead of indicating that she couldn't, she went to the stairs and looked down. Thin mist came up through the entrance, disappearing into the clear air above. Then, River waved her to follow. Maybe it would be hard, but she wanted to try.

“Okay, I trust you.” Rosa walked down the stairs after the Riolu.

Past the initial hall, they went down a long flight of stairs to reach the sewer itself. There was more mist down here, although it was still thin and staying close to the floor. There was a ditch partly filled with water on their right, as well as someone standing on the concrete path on the other side. Thankfully, it was someone they knew. “Hugh!” She ran across a gate that linked the two paths. “You've got to help me! Nate's in trouble and I don't know how to get to him.”

“Nate? Where is he?”

“Somewhere down here. I got a weird call from him, but there was this woman off camera that was threatening to kill him. They're supposed to be in some rock tunnel connected to this area, but I've never been down here so I have no idea where they'd be...” Tears blurred her eyes so she tried to rub them away.

Hugh took her hand with both of his. “Calm down, we can find him. There's a lot of areas that are rocky around here, but our Pokemon should be able to help. Let's go.”

“Yeah,” she said, smiling and feeling better since Hugh was going to help. She brought out Bard too as they hurried along the path, trying to find where Nate and that woman could be.

Down below Castelia's streets, the cool humidity filled the air more than any stench. What smell was there reminded Rosa a little of Roxie's Gym, possibly due to Poison Pokemon. There was light as well as clean pathways, but not the rocky wall from Nate's call. The concrete wall went on for some ways, soon splitting up to begin following Castelia's streets. In the middle of all paths, there were the large trenches partly filled with a shallow level of moving water. The water stains were several feet above the current water surface. There were a few bat Pokemon and Rattatas in the way, but their own Pokemon turned out to be stronger then them. With their every movement, the mist at the feet swirled around.

“What was he doing down here?” Hugh asked, looking around for hints.

“He said he was going to train here this morning, and look for Pokemon to catch,” she explained. “But then that call came a few minutes ago. We have to find him soon!

“I came down here for training too. That way's a dead end, and it's concrete all the way. But some of the central areas are rocky. Were there small blue lamps and lots of shadows? Because other tunnels can get dim.”

She shook her head. “No. There was a lamp in the shot, but it was one of those dome lamps, the, the LED ones we keep for emergencies.”

“Huh, hadn't seen one of those down here. What do you think, River?”

The Riolu was keeping ahead of them, darting a few feet forward, peering around with her ears twisting this way and that to catch all sounds. At Hugh's question, she pointed ahead. However, there was a gap where another trench entered the one they were following. They had to cross back over the trench to another path. This one soon split up, one path going ahead and the other going left Before they could even decide which way to go, a pair of people dressed entirely in black came from the passage ahead. And not just any black outfit; they had the uniform that the other Team Plasma members had.

Hugh recognized that right off as well. “Hey, what are you thugs doing here?”

“Thugs?” one of them asked indignant. “How dare you...”

“What are you kids doing down here?” the other snapped back.

“It's not like this place is off-limits,” Hugh said. “Unless this is your base of operations. Is that it, Team Plasma?”

“How do you know about us?” the first one asked, now wary.

“It's none of your business what we're doing here,” the other said. “If you don't scram now, then we'll just have to take all your Pokemon away from you.”

“There's no way that you'll be doing that!” Rosa said, clenching her fist. If they couldn't win with Pokemon, then she wouldn't hesitate to attack them herself. After all, she had Keldeo's sword.

And she knew that Hugh probably felt the same way. “You're picking a fight with the wrong people,” he said. “So you want to use force? Then you're about to feel my rage, punk.”

Soon, they were fighting a battle together, her and Hugh against the two Plasma thugs. Their opponents each had three Pokemon which seemed a good deal tougher than the wild Pokemon wandering the sewers. However, Hugh's Servine Vino was just as serious as his Trainer in battling them. Even the normally goofy Bard picked up on the mood and didn't play around as much as he usually did. They won without having either Bard or Vino knocked out.

The two thugs looked shaken by the battle, one stepping back while the other looked for some escape route. “You two are so serious,” one said.

“Of course,” Hugh said. “Not only that, but we're both trained in martial arts, so don't think that you're going to escape unscathed. We've got some questions that need answering.”

“Aaaaa, leave us alone!” one of them said, bolting down the path to left. His partner soon followed.

As did Hugh. “You're not getting away from me!”

“Hugh!” Rosa called, worried again about what happened to Nate. But her friend was already gone, disappeared in the dim lighting of the path he had taken.

“Urrrruu,” River called, pointing out the way opposite that Hugh had gone. Rosa was caught with indecision a moment. Hugh could be in trouble, recklessly running off like that. But then, he could handle himself (most likely) and Nate had been in bad shape during the call. Before she decided, a voice called out to her.

“My my, what a fiery temper on that one,” a man said, coming from the paths ahead. He didn't seem to be one of the Plasma goons, as he wore a flared white lab coat; odd blue wires and devices attached to his eyeglasses and the sides of his head. Was he a robot? “But that was a magnificent battle to witness. I'm sorry for not intervening, but you both seemed to handle your Pokemon well. If I may, I would like to ask you some questions for my research.”

An odd man, but he didn't seem bad. “Sorry, but I'm in a hurry,” she said. “Do you know about a rock tunnel being attached to this sewer? I need to find another friend; he's in trouble.”

“Is that so?” he asked, shifting his glasses. Then he pointed off to the right and behind him. “It's back that way. Keep ahead on this path, then cross over the trench on the right at the next gate. Go ahead from there and it's just a few feet on.”

“Okay, thanks sir.” She then ran past him and followed his directions, River and Bard hurrying at her side.

-+-

Several months ago, construction crews working to expand the waterways of Castelia had discovered a old tunnel that led straight to Driftveil, underground. The straight regular paths and occasional wall carvings showed that it had been dug out deliberately, likely by humans and Pokemon. While there had been a lot of excitement at first, it had settled down to occasional archeologists and explorers coming through here. And so, it had been picked out as a meeting place for members of Team Plasma working in both Castelia and Driftveil. Side tunnels could be blocked off with large boulders, letting them have some privacy.

Which was important, as Colress was meeting with Bronius and a few others who were here. “I assigned you more than enough people for the main task we assigned to you,” Colress said. “What's holding you up? We know that he has her.”

Bronius shifted his weight, but otherwise did well in hiding anxiety. The dark green cloak he wore, designed precisely for Plasma's Sages (who weren't Ghetsis), helped out with that. Being a large man who preferred joviality to seriousness, he always seemed uneasy when he was being businesslike. “He and the ones working for him have been more alert than we thought. Not only that, but we still don't have a clue as to where he's keeping her.”

“She must be close, as she's been seen with him.” Colress tapped his foot. At his side, his Elgyem managed to mimic him despite floating in the air. “I'm sure you had some technologically minded ones with you; that would be easiest.”

“Yes, but...”

They were cut short by a boy's scream, and that was cut short by a choked struggle. Frowning, Colress turned and saw that the two female members of the Shadow Triad were there when they previously hadn't been. They had some way to teleport, so that only startled Triste and a few of the lesser Plasma members. What was more of a concern to him was that one of them had her hands on the throat of a teenaged boy.

Sighing, Colress held a hand up to Bronius. “Stop choking him,” he said to the strange women.

“I was calming him down,” she replied, even calmer than he was normally. But she did let him go, leaving him to drop to a sitting position on the ground. But he seemed to still be conscious.

That could be more of a problem than Bronius' team being slow. Colress turned back to the Sage. “Okay, the short of it: get a move on or I'll get Ghetsis involved personally. I'm sure none of you want that. If you have any better reasons to give me, we'll talk more later. Now scatter, just in case this situation gets uglier.” Not giving Bronius a chance to respond, he went over to the two Triad members. “What are you doing with this boy?”

“He was going to attract attention to us,” the other woman said. She then explained what they had noticed about him.

While the boy decided to go into a fetal position and grip his hair tightly in his hands, Colress listened and grew increasingly interested in what the Triad believed. It seemed far-fetched, yet matched up with what Ghetsis had told him on a few occasions. He crouched down by the boy, apparently Nate by the friend they had called, to get a better look at him. “How sure of you are this?”

“Very sure,” she replied, her sister nodding.

It was hard to know without seeing his face. While it might be true, he wouldn't believe it without hard evidence. And, that was easiest to get right here. Colress took a clump of the boy's dark brown hair and tugged at it lightly. A few came loose; after he made certain they would be suitable, he pulled out a small plastic baggie to keep them securely in. The sound unfortunately got Nate to jerk his head up and look around, but his eyes didn't seem to connect to anything. Not only that, but he soon closed them in an expression of pain.

Sometimes, one had to take a risk. “What is your name?” Colress asked, working to sound reassuring.

“M-my name?” the boy echoed, his body tense and shaking. “My name... my name... what is my name? Who are you?” He turned his head, but only opened his eyes partly. “Are, are we safe here? I got...” he paused as if searching for the word.

“You got what?” Colress asked.

“Did I get purged again?” he asked, holding his head in his hands again. “But I thought I got transferred, or something, I don't remember so I must have been purged. Who are we?” His eyes opened and were focusing now. However, he first saw the two Triad members. That made the blood drain right from his face. “Aa, aa, y-you...”

“I won't let them...” he said, starting to reassure Nate as best he could.

But their strange guest then turned to him and gripped his wrists, his eyes wild and wide open. “Where is he? What are they doing here? I was dismissed, honest, and I even accepted the purgings, so why are they here? If something's happened to him, I can do my best to help, just don't involve them in this as it'll only end in disaster!”

“Who are you talking about?” Colress asked. Even though he was gripped by hysteria, Nate might say something useful still.

“Who?” He gave a laugh which quickly dissolved into sobs. “I... I saw... June 5th... Lostlorn Forest... they'll be there. He'll be there, when dragons descend. But... how? He...” Nate began shaking again, seeming like he might be sick.

Hoping that this state would keep him from remembering too much, Colress stood back up. “Do you have something that can calm him down without half-killing him?”

“Of course,” one of them said, coming over and pulling out a fine tan powder that she blew across Nate's face. While the drug forced his body to relax, he continued crying.

“Did he have any Pokemon with him?”

“Yes, three which I confiscated.”

Colress shook his head. “Return them to him. With as unstable as he seems to be, he'll cope best with their support. That is well proven.”

“We don't think it's wise to keep him alive,” one of them warned him.

“Nonsense. It will be fascinating to see what comes of his presence. Just the fact that he is here supports and creates interesting theories. And without an artifact this time. Maybe we'll see what those gifts of the gods are really capable of.” He looked one of them in the eyes, something that most in Team Plasma wouldn't dare do. “If I have to, I'll speak with Ghetsis about this. But I’d rather keep this quiet.”

“So be it,” she replied.

Feeling encouraged in getting their cooperation (they didn't have it in them to lie), he nodded. “Good. In that case, I'll be going before his rescue comes. Come, Triste.” He headed out to the entrance to Castelia's sewers. Enough Trainers came in and out near the docks that it shouldn't be seen as strange if he did the same.

“Uwaa,” the Elgyem said after a moment, the sort of sound someone might make if confused.

“I've got his hairs, so it shouldn't be hard to prove or disprove what they think,” Colress said. “But why he's here, that could be difficult to discover. I hope he doesn't remember me, because I'd like to get his trust when he calms down. That is, if this didn't break his mind entirely.”

Triste came a little in front of him, waving his glowing fingertips in circles. “Do dasa gem? Coess.”

He smiled a little. “Are you trying to say my name? How adorable.” But that didn't keep his mind off this mystery for long. “June fifth, huh? Perhaps it means something. Perhaps it doesn't. But, it should be harmless to check into that. I could use a day off. What do you say, hmm?”

Eyes brightening, Triste seemed to like that suggestion. Before they could get far into the sewer area, though, they ran into a problem. A couple of the Plasma members that had been dismissed earlier had been spotted by a pair of teenagers and were starting up a Pokemon battle. Colress and Triste stopped in a darkened area to watch. After all, it was a part of his project to observe battles.

Once the battle was over, the boy pursued the two down a different tunnel, leaving the girl with her Dewott and Riolu. Colress went up to talk with her. She had caught his attention with her style as a Trainer and the obvious connection she had with her Pokemon. Then it turned out that she was the one who was going to rescue Nate. Reckless, really. She was going to challenge some of the best killers he had ever met and she took right off with her Pokemon beside her once she had the right directions.

Colress watched the girl run off to the ancient tunnels. He wondered briefly if he should warn her of what she was getting herself into. Or even if he should go back in there himself. He didn't entirely control the Shadow Triad; only Ghetsis could do that. While he had warned them, they might still try to kill Nate for whatever reason they had against him.

However, it was more important that he not be seen in or near that encounter. He needed to avoid suspicion. That girl had been in a hurry, as well as the boy that had battled with her. Because of that, they probably would forget about his presence within the hour. Unless he reminded them of it... in witnessing and recording the battle, he noticed that the two Trainers had different ways of fighting, different amounts of attentiveness and focus. If his hypothesis was correct, then the girl was suitable for the experiment, as an active battler who had high socialization with her Pokemon. With a Dewott and Riolu, she might even be a recent start.

A moment later, he reviewed data that his computer had recorded. Electronic communications from the Pokeball gave him her OT number, identifying her as Rosa Wilburs. Checking her League records... she had two badges and had registered this spring. She'd be perfect..

He tapped his glasses. “Find time to make contact with this Trainer,” he stated quietly, then headed for the sewer exits. Not only that, but he would have to find out what was holding up the Castelia group. He should handle the judgment for that himself. If he passed that off to Ghetsis, the Plasma workers would be punished more harshly. Colress needed them out and about, continuing his work.

In the meantime, it might be safe to look into their goal himself.

-+-

Just as the strange man had said, they soon ended up in a rock tunnel. Or maybe a cavern, given how large it seemed from the few electric lights inside. River seemed more confident that they were going in the right direction, as she was no longer pausing to check the way. They turned down a small passage, one that Rosa might had missed entirely on her own. And back inside of a smaller area of the cavern, they found Nate and his captor.

She seemed even stranger in person, starkly dressed in black with only some white bangs, a strip of face, and red eyes showing. She stood quietly by Nate, who was curled up in a ball on the floor. Thankfully, he seemed to be breathing. “Have you come to take him back?” the ninja asked.

Furious, she gripped the sword case with her left hand. “Yes.” Quickly, she pulled out the sword so that it turned to its larger size. “And I’m going to make you pay for hurting him!”

She looked at the sword for a moment, then at Rosa. After a moment of silence, she asked, “Will you?” Then she pulled out a pair of daggers and threw one at her.

Rosa didn't even think as she knocked the dagger out of the air, then dashed for the ninja. She blocked with her remaining dagger and vanished. Feeling like she'd try to retrieve her weapon, Rosa turned and saw the ninja reappear as she picked the knife up. Rosa tried to attack again, but even though she saw the blade make contact, it passed by with only resistance from the cloth. The woman's daggers definitely hurt when of one them slashed across Rosa's left arm, cutting off her Xtransciever. Her next attack did make contact with the ninja, cutting her in the hip. The strange woman then vanished again.

“To your right!” someone called.

Rosa turned as the woman appeared further down the tunnel, holding an arm defensively near her injury. “You drew blood. How remarkable. Take him, but be warned: he may be dangerous to anyone near him.” She vanished one last time, not appearing again.

“What?” Rosa said, momentarily bewildered. Nate, dangerous? How? What did she have against him anyway, and... her arm hurt and was bleeding badly, so she ought to take care of that. But then, “Nate!” She ran over to him and dropped down to check on him. He seemed to be asleep, but pale with his face streaked by tears. Otherwise, he didn't seem hurt.

“Deo ah!” Bard called in worry, coming over and touching Rosa's shoulder. River was there too, watching Nate and waving at Rosa to take care of her injury first.

“I hope this doesn't turn bad,” Rosa said, putting the sword down to check her bag for something to help. She came across a potion in the pocket where she kept them for easy access during battles. They were meant for Pokemon, but she didn't think it'd be too bad if she used it on herself. As she sprayed it over the wound, her arm started to go numb. It was a mess with all the blood; hopefully it would keep from being infected or made worse.

On Nate's Xtransciever band, he kept the Pokeballs to his team secured. There were three now, but they were all marked as being unconscious. What kind of Pokemon did that woman have to beat Nate? Or had she fought them herself? But wondering about that now wouldn't help. She went to retrieve her Xtransciever to call for help. That was probably the best thing to do for now.

-+-

Castelia Sewers (elsewhere)

Their footsteps echoed through the concrete tunnels, backed by the quiet movement of water and sporadic calls of Pokemon. It was cool in this area, which could have just been being underground. However, there was also a light mist and dampness in this area, like the air had been suddenly cooled, making the water in the air condense. It could be a clue, but they had expected something more.

“I wasn't expecting to spend our first day back in Unova in the city sewers,” Hilbert said.

“We can't ignore this problem,” N said.

“I know.”

“But if he is down here, I would have expected to hear something,” N said, looking down a tunnel. “The mist looks thinner over there.”

“This is where our senses led us, but his connection still feels faint,” Reshiram said in the human tongue. At the moment, he even looked human, if with an old-fashioned fashion sense. They wouldn't be able to fit in these tunnels as dragons.

Zekrom was nearby, trying to grasp the mist with her dark hand. It slipped out of her fingers like any other mist. “This city is so busy; the souls all around us are nearly overwhelming. I still get a sense of him, just out of reach and yet far away. I wonder what's happened to him. It must have been sudden or else he would have been able to make contact with us.”

“Maybe he's somewhere in the city?” Hilbert suggested. “And with all the people, buildings, and machines here, all the noise makes it difficult to hear his voice? In a sense.”

“That could be,” Zekrom said.

Reshiram had his hand on his chin, thinking on the problem. Hilbert felt unnerved as he sensed these two so concerned, confused, and, well, ignorant. After all, the twin dragons had kept calm around other dangers and problems. This was something none of them had expected. Kyurem wasn't answering to their calls and all they could get from him was a feeling of loneliness. They had come here following that feeling, but now they seemed to be at a dead end.

A guy's voice further down the tunnels called out, “Rosa! Where'd you go?” Someone's footsteps slashed onward, but not towards where they were.

There was also the dial tone of an Xtransciever. It turned out to be N, trying to make a call. However, no one was picking up. “It's says I’ve got a signal,” he said, although his worries were starting to turn a different way. “When did we last hear from them? I was just trying to remember.”

Sometimes, knowing exactly what another person felt and wanted made Hilbert uneasy. But this had been lingering unsaid for some time now: N was more worried about not hearing from Hilda than about Kyurem. Logically, the missing immortal could be a bigger problem. N was in love with Hilda, though, so that impacted him more. He'd been wavering for months about returning to Unova mainly because of that. For a little while, Hilbert had felt jealous and wanted to get him to forget about her. But then he decided that the jealousy wasn't worth it. Now he wanted to see the two of them together, eventually.

“I know it's been a while,” Hilbert said, not certain the exact amount of time.

“Late last spring,” Reshiram said. “Neither of you got many calls from Unova since then.”

“If she's been out of contact that long, why haven't we felt anything significant about Kyurem?” Zekrom asked, thinking aloud. “I thought he just wasn't doing anything major. He should have contacted us if something went wrong.”

“Maybe he couldn't,” N said.

This wasn't helping, Hilbert thought. They were just getting more worried; they needed something more concrete. Then, an idea came to him. “Hey, I know: we should get up to the Pokecenter and see if we can check their records. It'd at least tell us where they've been. If not, I know that Hilda was from Nuvema. We might get better answers asking around there.”

“That'd be better than wandering around down here,” Reshiram agreed.

A short time later, they were in the Pokecenter near the docks. There were a number of people in here, as usual for the city. N was uncomfortable with this. Even if Plasma had kept him hidden for so long, he had been caught on public records with his challenge against the Elite 4. People might recognize him as the leader of Team Plasma. Sure, they might also remember that he had dismantled the group, but it was still a problem. So Hilbert decided that they needed to do this quick.

And for that, he activated Attract, to make this go smoother. Plus, fewer people would pay attention to N. He waited in line for another person to be taken care of, then passed over the Pokeballs to his team. They had taken on a few fights in the sewers, but nothing challenging. “Hey there,” he said, giving a warm smile to the nurse on duty.

She was middle-aged woman who had half of her hair shaved off to make room for a large bandage a little above her ear. Most likely some kind of surgery scar. Although she was a little skeptical, she was curious about him. “Good afternoon. I'll take care of your Pokemon right away.” She then took the balls and set them up in the healing machine by the desk.

“Thanks sweetheart,” Hilbert said, leaning on the counter. “Oh, and could I ask for a little favor? Please?”

She looked back at him, still fighting against his charm. “What do you want? I have several hours left of work.”

He shook his head. “Nothing you need to leave here for. I was hoping to get a peek at some of the Pokecenter network records. We really need to find a certain friend of ours.”

“We can't share the records of Pokemon taken care of here,” the nurse said.

“I know,” he said. “But you record the Trainer ID numbers from the Pokeballs, right? So if you searched for that number, you could find out when a Trainer has used a center. We haven't heard from her in months and it could be trouble. So please, just this once?”

“Hmm,” she said. The chance that it was trouble pushed things in his favor, but she still wasn't sure.

“He speaks the truth,” Reshiram said. “We need to find this information.”

The nurse raised an eyebrow at this at first, but then she took a closer look at him. Reshiram appeared to be a young man now, with long white hair streaked with red and orange at the ends. Then she looked back to Hilbert. “Wait, you're the White King, right? I suppose I could trust anyone who would stay close to Reshiram for so long. You have a reason for asking me?”

At that, Reshiram glanced at Hilbert and briefly grinned. Hilbert rolled his eyes at that. Yeah, he was caught in a small bind here. She was fishing for a compliment and as he had to be serious to keep the dragon's favor, he needed to be genuine about it. But really, knowing what people wanted made this simple. “Well we didn't come in here for you, but I'm sure glad that we found you,” he said, giving her a flirtatious look. “I don't know what you've been through, but however rough it was, it must make you shine like a diamond.”

The nurse laughed at that while she took the Pokeballs out of the machine. “Oh my... I'm sorry about that, young man, but thank you. Now, what's the ID number of your friend?”

Hilbert brought up Hilda's contact information on his Xtransceiver and through that, they were able to find records of where and when she'd been using Pokecenters. Unfortunately, it seemed as though she really had disappeared. The screen he saw was of the last two weeks she had been recorded using Pokecenter services, late April up to June sixth of last year. She had been to a lot of places, including Flocessy and Nuvema. The last three recordings were on the fifth and sixth, all within White Forest.

Pointing out the last one, the nurse said, “That place is a few miles north of Lostlorn Forest. And the other two are from the center close to the Entree. They're both small Pokecenters, not even having shops.”

He took down the town and area names for all the centers listed, to ask around those area. “I see. Thanks a lot, it'll help narrow down the search.”

“You're welcome,” the nurse said. “But if I get in trouble for this, you'd better try flirting with my boss to get me out of trouble.”

“Oh dear, that would be trouble, huh?” he asked, chuckling.

Since they were there, N also handed over his team for healing. “Is that how you pick up girls?” N asked.

While the nurse laughed, Hilbert shrugged. “Well you should really just be yourself.” Especially if he meant trying that with Hilda. “I'm just the kind of guy who can get away with dropping sweet lines like that.”

“If you mean sweet to be cheesy, then I won't argue with that,” he replied.

“Hey, watch it buddy,” Hilbert said in a mock threat, making N laugh. It did lift the anxiety in their group, even with Zekrom and Reshiram. Even if it was at his expense, it was good.

With this new information, the group headed out for one of the docks, mostly to get away from the crowds. “White Forest is a large area,” Zekrom said. “But it seems we're mostly interested in the central and southern part.”

“And it might help to ask around Nimbasa too,” Hilbert said, visualizing a map of the region in his mind. “I know there's a path from there to Entree that passes through Lostlorn Forest, so asking people around there would be good.”

“Maybe the Pokemon around Lostlorn too,” N said, most likely thinking of checking that angle himself. Even if he had gotten better accustomed to cities and being around many people in the past two years, he still preferred staying in natural areas and talking to Pokemon.

“We could fly over White Forest ourselves,” Zekrom said, looking at Reshiram. “A quick look over the whole place while you two focus on getting information from those areas. I'm sure if we find signs of one of them, there'll be signs of the other.”

Reshiram nodded. “That would be reasonable.”

Once they agreed on a date and place to meet back up, the two dragons flew them up to Nimbasa, where the four split up.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@3D992: The KyuremxHilda ship was pretty popular over on fanfiction net. I even got a fanart of it (thankfully tasteful).

So Nate's memory is messed up again, but he somehow expects it. Maybe you can start figuring out who he really is, but it'd still be kinda hard, I think. Also, Rosa is definitely going magical girl with that sword. Hilda would definitely insist that she get a proper outfit for it, haha.

I like how Colress gets introduced to you in the game. He smoothly bluffs his way past the main character and Burgh by complimenting you enthusiastically for how you handled the Plasma grunts. So he's definitely kinda weird, but if not for the musical cue, you might not suspect that he's going to be trouble. Hugh is pretty awesome here too, although my opinion may be influenced by my first run through the game where he had a Servine here. I even liked his fury line, but it wasn't that long before I was thinking 'Hugh, get a new line'.

Also, Hilbert, N, and the dragons are back! I do think that it would be tough to be so close to Reshiram all the time. When you think about it, there's a lot of little white lies that people use to get by in society smoothly.

Last edited:
RIght. Whichever set of memories Nate has now recognize the Shadow Triad, and Colress. He also talks about being "purged", and being "dismissed". Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that matches up with what we see right now. Suppose we'll just have to wait for more.

And Hugh does need new material doesn't he? I know he says that again on the first Plasma Frigate run, but I don't recall if he says it the other times, even if he probably does.

Also, is that another Plasma Sage I see? Zinzolin and Bronius... Then again, I don't recall Looker going around and arresting all of them. Unless that happened offscreen.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 16: Memories of the Church

May 30
hospital, Castelia City

It didn't take the doctor long to stitch up the wound on Rosa's arm. “It's surprisingly small for the amount of blood they had to clean up,” she said. “Did it get reopened before you got it treated?”

Rosa shook her head. “No. I did spray a potion I had on it.”

“A potion for Pokemon? Huh, that's odd.” She checked it over before starting cleaning it gently. “It does show signs of healing already, not like a fresh wound. Normally those potions don't work that effectively on humans, due to different immune systems. Still, we need to be careful with it.” Before long, they had Rosa's arm all bandaged up and set her up for another appointment later on to check on it.

Nate was not so lucky. They soon determined that he had been poisoned, put to sleep in a way that had a chance of dropping him into a coma if he had breathed in enough of the spores. For that, they had to inject the antidote directly into his bloodstream as well as put him in a breathing apparatus to clear his lungs. Rosa had decided to stay at the hospital to wait for him, after asking the nurses to let her know how he was doing. “They didn't want to at first,” she told her mother over the Xtransciever. “Since they don't want to share that kind of thing except with family members. But I convinced them that I was the closest he had to that, since not even he knows where he's from.”

“That's good,” Janice said, a little relieved from worry. “Hopefully they can get him cured soon. But, it's amazing that you managed to get him away from someone who sounds so dangerous. You shouldn't run into situations like that.”

“But I had to go help him,” Rosa said. “I didn't really think about it, I just knew that I had to. Actually, I wasn't really thinking when I was fighting her. I knew what to do. It's weird that you never got it to do anything like this; it's like magic.”

Her mother shifted how she held her arm, glancing away for a moment. “Magic, huh? Rosa...”

“What? Do you know something about it?”

“Well,” she closed her eyes for a moment. “I really should tell you in person. Tell you what, I'll meet up with you two in Castelia on my next day off. I'd be good to check up on him too.”

“Oh, sure, that'd be fun!” Rosa said, already thinking about things she could show her mom when she was here. “When would that be?”

Janice got up and walked across the room to find the wall calender. “That's... the fourth. One of my co-workers has a flying Pokemon, so I'll see if I can borrow him to make the trip. In the meantime, you'd better make sure you, Nate, and all your Pokemon are doing okay.”

“Right, I'm keeping an eye on my Pokemon,” Rosa said, looking over at where Bard, Medusa, and Grim were playing with some little kids in the lobby. River was sneaking about between the lobby and Nate's room, while Rosa had had to recall Finn for being aggressive. “They're letting Ruby stay with Nate, but they won't let Argent fly around because he'd mess with the equipment. It was kind of sad, since he was just as upset.”

“That is a problem you start running into with Magnemites and their line. But you're in Castelia; talk with the Pokecenter nurses and they might be able to tell you where to buy an EM field dampener to keep Argent from disrupting electronics.”

“Okay, I'll let him know. Oh, and he picked up an Eevee somewhere! She could be so cute, but I really have to ask what he was thinking when he gave her that awful name she has. It's... it's just horrible.”

-+-

May 31

Panty Thief the Eevee wasn't sure what she'd gotten herself into now. She been passed to yet another new Trainer, something that was getting painfully familiar. Normally, they'd get disappointed quickly and keep her in her Pokeball most of the time. After a few weeks, she'd get passed on again. But then, she hadn't had a new Trainer who went mindless, staring ahead at nothing for hours.

Or one who went into hysterics. That had been scary; not even his two other Pokemon knew what happened to him. Nate had started shouting nonsensical things at the strange woman in black, but then lapsed into hyperventilating when she knocked him to the ground. Not knowing what to do, the Eevee thought about running away, but then remembered that she was supposed to stick by her Trainer, whoever it happened to be at the moment. The Pignite and Magnemite with them had started attacking the woman to get her away from Nate, but then she called out an Absol that defeated both of them. And the Eevee too, when she had froze up in fright next to the boy.

This ended up with them staying in the hospital. Nate had finally woken up an hour before dawn. But even when the doctor had removed the mask over his face and chest, he didn't seem happy. He sat in a chair in the room, looking out the window and not saying anything. Ruby stayed close to him; she tried tugging at his sleeve. “Come on, we should go outside on a walk. That'll help you feel better.”

The Eevee lowered her ears, nervous. She should do something to help; that was what a good Pokemon did. But, most of her Trainers thought she was a bad Pokemon. She wanted to be good, but being good was so confusing. Not only that, but most of the Pokemon she had worked with were mean and jealous. Would this Pignite be the same way? She acted so nice yesterday, but that could be an act.

“Wh-what's wrong with him?” the Eevee said, creeping closer to where Nate and Ruby were.

“It's complicated,” Ruby said, more concerned about him than in bullying her. “He has this amazing psychic power to see the memories of others, but it can hurt him a lot. Sometimes I think he'd be better off without it.”

“Sounds scary,” Panty said, drawing her front paws close. What if he saw how terrible everyone said she was?

“And he doesn't even remember his own memories well,” Ruby added. “He seemed really sad about it when I first met him, or maybe just confused. I've been trying to take care of him, because that's what my mother said I was supposed to do: I'd be helping out a new Trainer and I was to give him or her all my support. But I don't understand much of what's wrong with him, so I do my best to keep him from being hurt in other ways.” She paused. “I didn't do well yesterday. I want to cheer him up.”

“Y-yeah,” she agreed.

Cheer him up... there was something that might work. She wasn't sure, as it had gotten most of her Trainers really upset with her. But it had always cheered up her original Trainer. He'd even instructed her how to go about it better. Once she was sure Ruby wasn't paying attention to her, Panty slipped out of the room and began looking around for a gift.

She walked along the area cautiously, once darting behind an extra bed to hide from a nurse. If she got caught, she'd get yelled at. But, she was trying to do a good thing. Making her Trainer happy was good. Maybe if she did this right, he'd give her more of a chance than others. She searched around until she found a likely spot. There was a woman in one of the rooms, asleep. If Panty poked around, she might find her clothing.

A few minutes later, she sneaked back into the hall, carrying a pink bra. It had been in a drawer; such things had been tricky to open at first, but she had learned for her first Trainer. Before she could get much further, though, a Pokemon called out to her. “Hey, what're you doing?” It was a huge pink Pokemon, a Blissey that was hopping her way.

Panty froze for a second, eyes wide. Then she bolted down the hall. The Blissey yelped and ran after her. The bra's strap flipped into her eyes, distracting her. While she tried to shake it aside, she crashed into a tall potted plant, knocking it over and dumping loose dirt on the floor. The Blissey was still running for her, and one of the humans was now paying attention. This was bad! Panty dropped the bra then dashed for Nate's room. She got under his chair and huddled there, shaking. Why did everything she try always end up making trouble?

For good or for ill, this managed to snap Nate out of his trance. He turned to see what was going on, then left the chair to kneel down by it. “What was that commotion about?” he asked.

She looked up at him, staying put. The boy reached his hand to her, cautious. “I'm gonna be punished again, aren't I?” she asked

“What were you doing?” Ruby asked, leaning over and trying to see her too.

“Strange creature,” Nate said. “You were?” While he tried to think of it, he cringed and put his head in his hands. “Ugh, what happened to me?”

“Did you forget again?” the Pignite asked, putting a hoof on his shoulder. “That's...” she sniffled at the thought.

He looked up at Ruby for about a minute, taking her hoof while he thought. “Ruby... right, you're Ruby. I should talk about this. There was someone...”

“Good,” she said, relieved. She seemed like she might say something more, but decided to hug Nate instead.

“Is there a problem?” one of the nurses asked, coming into the room to check on him.

“My head hurts, but that's normal,” Nate said, starting to get up. He nearly fell down again, but Ruby still had a hold on him. “I had some medicine for this. Oh, and I was with somebody...”

“Rosa?” the nurse asked. “I can call her up if you want.”

Panty took a few steps closer and saw Nate nod. “Yeah, I need to talk to someone who's been around me recently.”

Maybe she wasn't in much trouble this time. At least as long as she avoided that Blissey, nobody should know what happened. But it was too bad that she didn't get a chance to see if that was something Nate liked. She'd try again later.

-+-

Upon being informed that Nate had memory problems previously, the doctor wanted to run a few scans on him just in case. But it seemed to be all right this time, at least Rosa thought so. She and Nate had spent several hours going back over their adventures the past few months. Sometimes he spaced out while trying to recall them. Eventually, he was able to remember most of what had happened.

“What about yesterday?” Rosa asked. “We had talked in the morning, but split up when I wanted to train in the dojo and you wanted to train in the sewers. And what about that Eevee, huh? Why'd you go and name her that?”

“Name her what?” Nate asked, reaching over to the bedside table to check on the Pokeballs.

“Well, that,” she said, blushing with a mix of embarrassment and anger.

“Oh... she doesn't have my Trainer ID in the OT slot.” He looked at it, then nodded. “Yeah, that's right. A guy in the park gave her to me.”

“What park?”

With those questions, Nate was able to recount the events of yesterday. He'd trained in the sewers until Argent found a path up to a hidden park, apparently the original central plaza of Castelia. He'd gotten the Eevee in a funny incident; Panty herself seemed nervous and shy, hiding under the chair for most of the morning. Once the other Trainer had left, Nate had one of those visions, this time of Hilda and Kyurem talking (although he seemed oddly reluctant to say what it had been about beyond that). The strange ninja woman had been in the vision too. Not only that, but Nate seemed to have made contact with Kyurem somehow. But after that...

“I know I saw her in the park,” Nate said. “She... she seemed to recognize me.”

“Do you remember her?” Rosa asked. “She seemed scary.”

He shook his head. “I feel uneasy thinking about her, but I can't think of why now. She could have killed me if she really wanted to. And, there's something else I remember, from before we met.”

“Really? That's great!” She smiled, hoping it would reassure him. “What is it?”

Nate closed his eyes. “It's hard to tell; I think it's a group of different memories, but I don't know how to separate them yet. I've... I met Hilda.”

“This place should be safe,” Nate said, making sure that the door shut tight behind them.

“Frank says it feels peaceful,” Hilda said, walking further into the church. “Amazing place, especially with the bright moon.”

The church always seemed full of light and color, even though most of the structure was black or white. The stone floor was polished to a shine, reflecting the moonlit colors from the stained glass above; thin pillars supported a soaring roof, making the strong structure seem airy and light. In alcoves to the sides, there were small altars with bright paintings. In front, there was a solemn statue of an angel along with the largest mural of stained glass in the building.

Their footsteps echoed in that space, both of the humans and the five Pokemon with her. “Even so, it'd be a lot better filled with people,” Hilda said.

“It was like that, once,” Nate said, his throat tightening up at the thought.

One mournful day, he had sat down beside a woman who was lost in thought. “It was an awful night,” he said in sympathy. “Um, he let me borrow this.” He offered her a bag that had a black DS secured in a mesh pocket.

“Oh, well,” she said, looking down. “I think I know what you mean, but it's been hard to think straight. I either feel horribly sad, or I don't feel anything at all.”

Nate bowed his head. “You've been hit by the mind purges; somebody doesn't want us to remember something. But, your son...”

She got up suddenly. “You keep that,” she said. “I have no use for it. I'm sorry, but I can't...” She got tongue-tied, then walked off in a hurry.

Although he felt terrible for her, he only watched her leave the church. They kept losing people as the situation here got worse and worse. Had he really done all he could?

“Can’t we do something about this?!” a young man said, standing up in the crowd to talk to the church's pastor.

“We must keep our hopes alive and pray for peace,” the pastor said.

“More than that,” he said. “The law has no power anymore and there's no chance of getting help. This is a disaster and it's all been caused by them... and we're supposed to just sit here and hope things get better? Shouldn't we be fighting them, to make them pay for what they've done?”

Nate watched the exchange nervously. Both sides were correct, but it was something that was hard to understand. Most of them wouldn't want to understand it. With what he had seen, Nate couldn't deny it... when he could remember it.

“I know it's hard but we must have faith,” the pastor said, trying to keep the group calm and together. But it would be hard for anyone, given the chaos they were facing.

As time went on, the congregation dwindled. Many had abandoned hope while others had died. Nate stuck with the church, trying to help the other members. However, there were moments when he thought of giving up too. Ridiculous laws were coming into being, enforced by unreasonable monsters. The streets and buildings crumbled a little more every day. On the other hand, this church managed to keep itself intact. As long as it stood, he could find some hope to cling to.

“Nate, don't you think it's time to go home?” his mother asked. She was pacing around.

“Don't disturb the peace here too much,” Nate said, although there weren't many visitors lately.

“Your father should be home soon,” she said, not paying attention to what he said. Or maybe even what she was saying herself. “Maybe I should make something special for dinner. That would be nice, wouldn't it? It would be nice, good for you.”

Nate felt a lump in his throat, but then he found it hard to think of. “Mom... Dad's not coming back. He's gone, like the others.”

“We'll have a nice family night at home, with games,” she said, lost in her own ways of coping. “Or you could invite a friend over. What about that one friend of yours? I don't think that I've met him yet.”

“He... he...” For a moment, the memory of what had happened to his friend was raw, fresh as if he'd just witnessed that tragedy. Then the pain turned physical and... the memories were gone, purged from his mind.

“We can make a crossword today!” his mother said merrily, looking at the refrigerator in their apartment and pulling off an 'L' magnet.

“Mom, no!” Nate said, coming over and taking the letter from her. “These words are important.”

“Really?” she asked, looking at him in puzzlement.

He nodded, placing the letter back in 'SOLARFLARE'. “You know... about the memory purges. I keep my passwords here so I can figure stuff out faster.”

“I thought that's why you went to the church so much,” she said.

“I have a lot of reasons to go there.” He paused. She seemed coherent today, a least a little. Did he try to talk with her? Or would she just get distracted again? She'd been like this ever since his father had gone missing. “Mom,do you ever feel like there was something you should have done differently in the past?”

She thought for a little bit. “I think we should have lived in the country rather than the city. That would have been nice, wouldn't it? Hey, maybe we can still move to a nice country home. I'll talk with your father about it when he comes home.”

His father wouldn't ever be coming back.

The city streets were ominous when barren. Nate walked in the street, knowing there wouldn't be any vehicles driving around. While it was out in the open, at least he'd have a better view of trouble when it arrived. Nothing happened on this trip, as he arrived at the church safely.

Like the streets, it was quiet. The feeling of loss lingered in Nate's heart, although he found it hard to remember those who had once attended here. It was strange; he knew he should be afraid, upset, or sad, but this had gone on so long that he had become numb. Most days, he played video games on his DS for lack of anything else to do. But sometimes, he felt a need for some kind of hope or peace, and so he returned here. Maybe he'd come across another visitor; most likely not.

There was someone else here. Nate paused halfway through the long sanctuary, looking up at the front. In front of the angel statue, there was another young man, taller than he was. He turned as Nate approached him; his eyes were haunted from dealing with everything that was going on.

Maybe he remembered more. “I thought you lived with your mother.”

“She's gone,” Nate said, stopping a few feet from him.

“I'm sorry,” he said, looking down.

Nate's mind hurt for a little while, but he could remember him now. “Do you want my help now?”

His old friend tensed. “I... I can't involve you. I told you that. You'd get hurt. But you shouldn't...” He approached him, starting to put his hand on Nate's shoulder but hesitating.

“The memory purge doesn't erase the memories,” Nate said. “It just cuts them off from conscious recall. But with the right triggers and recollection paths, I can usually restore my own memories. It's gotten harder and harder to do. I'm not even sure how many times I've been purged now. Seems to happen once or twice a month, though.”

“Your mind must be in such disarray,” he said, nearly crying at the thought. “Maybe even damaged... I'm sorry; I wish I really could help you, but I'm cursed to hurt others.”

“I don't think you're cursed. You're defeating yourself; I’ve been really worried about you. I'd like to help you fix things...”

“How are we supposed to fix things now?” He rubbed his eyes. “Do you remember what I've done?”

“I believe so.”

“How can you still worry about me then? Both of your parents are gone. And, everyone that once came here, it seems.” He faced the angel statue again. “You have much grief to bear, and danger is still present where you live. But you worry about a failure like me?”

“I still believe in you,” Nate said.

He began shaking, so Nate reached out to him. But he pushed his hand away. “Don't touch me. I don't want you to die too.”

Abruptly, the light in the church dimmed. “There's still a chance that,” Nate began to say.

“Get out of here!” he said sharply. “They're coming and I don't want you to die too. I... thank you for being my friend, but I want you to find peace, and be happy. So you shouldn't stay with me.”

“But,”

“Go!”

Recalling the last time he had seen his friend, Nate could almost hear the echoes of him saying that. He shivered. There had been a good reason to leave. Even if he wanted to help... he told Hilda about it while they were in the church. “Once it was safe, I started coming every day again. I thought I might see him, and maybe he'd accept my help this time.”

“That's harsh of him,” she said. “I wonder if he knows it hurts both of you more in doing that.”

“He might know that,” he agreed. “While he keeps acting like this, there's not a whole lot I can do.”

Things were quiet for a moment. Then Hilda nodded. “Maybe I can help him.”

“How?” Nate asked, not seeing how she would have any chance at that.

But she smiled and winked at him. “It was in your journals, silly. I'll show you later. But first, look at that!” She pointed up at the stained glass behind the angel statue.

He looked at the familiar picture. “What about it?”

“You said you didn't recognize Pokemon as being real, but they're there! Those dragons, they're gods that protect my homeland: Zekrom and Reshiram. That's proof, that they're here in this sacred place. From that, I know what's going on. That makes me think that I can do something you can't. Maybe it'll fix things, or maybe it'll all blow up in my face. But, if I can do something, I should try.”

“I know my mind's messed up, but really?” Nate asked, looking at the glass panels. The place was so familiar that he hadn't really recognized it, but the dragons up there did seem like ones he'd seen in one of the games at least.

One of Hilda's Pokemon said something, followed by her saying, “What happened to the Pokemon?”

“Isn't it... in my journal?”

Back at his apartment, Hilda checked back on his journal and did some planning with her Pokemon. Then, she came over to him. “Hey, did you ever dream of going to another world?”

He glanced up from his DS as she plopped down in the seat across the coffee table. “What for?”

She shrugged and gestured out the window. “Well it's not like this place is that great. Sorry if it offends you.”

“Not really,” he said, looking back to his game. “I am being escapist, but only with the games, and only because it's as you say.”

“Then here, try this one.” She tossed a white DS cartridge onto the table between them. “If you start a new game on that, you'll end up in that world.”

Picking up the game to look at it, he noticed it was a Pokemon game he had picked up some time ago. But the label was smudged and all he could tell of the version was a 'C'. “Is this a way to get to another world? I... I got some games from a boy, shortly before he disappeared. And then some other visitors to the church gave me other games when they lost interest, or when others were lost.”

“Have you played that one?” she asked.

“I don't think so.”

“Well Frank notices dimensional warping around that one,” Hilda said. Her Gothitelle, standing nearby, nodded in agreement. “Maybe it's because I got here, but he's pretty sure that's one way to get to my world, starting a new game with this one.”

It puzzled Nate, and concerned him. “Why me? You could use it to get back home.”

“I read your journal and gave it some thought. That's not going to be the only way for me to get back home; there's another power in this world that could accomplish the same, plus I still have these. But I'm worried about you staying here. I mean, you're a cool guy and it's a shame you're caught up in all this. You should try a fresh start where I come from. Although,” a worried look appeared on her face as she looked up at the Gothitelle.

“What was the problem?” Rosa asked, leaning closer in interest.

Nate thought about it a bit longer, then shook his head. “I don't quite remember that yet. But she was going to the church to see if she could find clues about that one friend of mine. He,” he snapped his fingers, but it wasn't coming to him. “I can remember what he looks like and the one conversation we had at the church, but everything else still escapes me. Or is blocked off, that's more accurate.”

“You seemed to remember some, which is great,” she said, trying to cheer him up. “But then Hilda really is in another world... your old one! Because you remember talking with her and Kyurem said so. I wonder what it would take to get her back home.”

“We still need to figure out why and how she ended up in my world,” Nate said. “Kyurem's missing and I don't think he was with her when we met.”

“Hmm... oh, but there was something else big! You were involved in telling your memories, so I didn't want to interrupt, but you mentioned that you kept your passwords on the fridge. One of them was solar flare, right?”

That... he took hold of his necklace. “That's right, I did. Maybe if I try to imagine it, I can remember the rest. But that is more than I knew.” He pulled the ball apart to get to the drive, then plugged that into his Xtransciever. Its screen wasn't that large, but he could look at them on a regular computer later on. For now, he just wanted to know that the password would work.

Fortunately, all it took was putting in 'SOLARFLARE' with all-caps to unlock four folders. None of them were the one that requested opening first. Instead, he found one folder filled with lengthy papers on various subjects and another folder with an entire book. Those two were way too long to read over while he was talking with Rosa.

The third folder seemed to be a few video game guides, filled with charts, statistics, and competitive evaluations. “I think this is some of the stuff I recalled about Pokemon,” Nate said, skimming it. “But it's for video games, so probably not as useful in actually training.”

“Were you that into your games?” Rosa asked, trying to get a peek. Nate went ahead and let her look at the file he'd opened. And a good thing too, since she noticed something. “Hey, that's Game Freak!”

“You recognize that?” he asked.

She nodded. “Yeah, that's the company that sponsors the public dojo and runs the virtual battle simulator. I don't know much else about them; I think they do all sorts of games, including Trainer sims.”

“Trainer sims?” something about that seemed familiar.

“They're RPGs, I think, that mimic the Pokemon League challenges. I always thought they were kind of silly because you could go do that yourself with real Pokemon, but they must have a following.”

While it seemed like something to look into, that would have to wait. The last folder that the password unlocked was the most interesting, as it was filled with photos. The first one was even of the church; a large group of teenagers, including Nate, was sitting on the wide steps that led up to it.

“Wow, you must have had lots of people attending your church,” Rosa said. “Do you recognize any of your friends?”

“I feel like I should know them,” Nate said, looking over the faces. “I don't think I could name any of them right now.”

One thing he noticed while looking through the pictures was that even if someone was smiling, they didn't seem to be actually happy. Other pictures in the folder showed some reasons why that might be: a fire in the city streets, masses of black smoke in the air, evidence of damaged and neglected buildings, a distant riot. There was even a couple showing some kind of soldier, completely covered in black and gray body armor. Whatever his old world had been through, it was a huge mess.

Eventually, they found a picture of Nate with a woman, both of them sitting on a bench in a park where even the grass struggled to survive. She was dressed in a whimsical yellow shirt, a long green skirt, and a green silk scarf tied around her head. He immediately recognized her. “That's my mother,” he told Rosa. “She was kind of childish, actually. Whatever happened, it affected her badly. I tried to help her as best I could.”

“Maybe she was trying to stay optimistic?” Rosa wondered. “She seems like a fun person, at least here.”

“That sounds right.” She must have died too, given how sad he felt just looking at the photo.

There were a few more with him and his mother. Others were of places that might have been important like the church, but none he recognized aside from a shot inside his apartment home. There was even a good shot of the angel statue and the strained glass window behind it; Rosa quickly agreed that the two dragons in the window were Zekrom and Reshiram. Seeing that, Nate was sure that he was missing a lot of vital pieces of his memory. Perhaps having his memory tampered with so much had caused him to temporarily forget about Pokemon and a lot of other general information too. What were Pokemon to his world? And why had his memory been purged so much anyhow?

And at the very end of the folder's collection, they found a few photographs of Hilda and her Pokemon, in his world.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Sixteen chapters in and Nate finally gets the password to a few of his files. As well as a glimpse into his old life, which isn't quite what it seemed to be. I wonder if I should've made his memories even harder to separate... nah. Don't want to be too mind-screwy.

I'm glad to get chances to use the Pokemon as POV characters; Panty's really confused with how she's been trained. She doesn't mean to do anything wrong, but her original Trainer definitely didn't deserve her. I look forward to developing her, along with a few of the other Pokemon characters. They're fun; I wrote a scene like that this week that I can't wait to show you readers, but we'll all just have to wait, haha.

This section (chapter 14 to chapter 19) had to be massively reconstructed in the past couple of months because I didn't like the sequence of events and how a couple revelations came around. It took a lot of attention (hence why POS suddenly stopped updating), but I think the end result is better. I'm also back to having a comfortable lead in this fic, so that's a weight off my mind.

@Missingno Master: Yes, that's what I thought!

@scizorstrike: I don't believe I've used Looker yet... as for Hugh, I recall him saying it nearly every time he joined the hero(ine) to fight Team Plasma.

Last edited:
So Nate's world is not our world. Probably, but I don't remember anything like that. And I've made sure to make a routine to do if I suspect I'm going to have bits of my memory erased. Oddly enough, the first thing that came to mind when I saw that Nate's password was SOLARFLARE was the final Okami Reflector-type weapon. I half-expected some of the other passwords to be THUNDEREDGE and TUNDRABEADS, but that's probably just me.

...but seeing as this is clearly not an example of a place that Colress and the Shadow Triad would recognize him from, except maybe their own dimensionaly excurisions, this is just another mystery... Speaking of mysteries, Rosa's mother is going to provide another piece to the puzzle of "Who is Keldeo"?. Possibly all four corner peices and an image of the complete one, but hey.

You know, when you think about it, PT's original trainer may have been completely undeserving of her, but he had to have been a really good Trainer, as the habits he ingrained in her seemed to have managed to linger over a series of successive Trainers.

My two questions for you today, Ysa, are 1. Are we going to see Looker?
and 2. (because I can't really be bothered to go through ClicheStorm 1 again) What happened to
Genesect?

charizarddude

Pokémon Master
My two questions for you today, Ysa, are 1. Are we going to see Looker?
and 2. (because I can't really be bothered to go through ClicheStorm 1 again) What happened to
Genesect?

Ha, the
Genesect
spoiling joke never gets old!

I'm pretty sure Genesect was confisgated by the Pokemon League after the Zinzilon vs Hilda battle in the Cold Storage.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Now I think that Nate is Keldeo's mind while Rosa is Keldeo's physical form. Nate's world seems more and more confusing, and I hope we will get a full explanation before the end. Doctor Who and this story are confusing me beyond belief! Argh!