• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ClicheStorm 2 (PG-13)

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 22: Desert Blockade

June 6
Nimbasa

They were in a new town, at least to Nate. The light breeze smelled of the bay while the sun shone in a clear sky. “So what's around here?” he asked, since he'd gotten too busy with the Join Avenue venture yesterday to ask then.

“A lot of fun stuff!” Rosa said, starting to point things out. “There's Gear Station, the center point of Unova's subway system; you can reach most towns with it, plus they have a set of battle trains that are supposed to be a really tough competition for Pokemon.”

“Battling in subway trains?” Nate asked. “I'd heard of subway battles, but I thought they were at big stations.”

“I wonder if they have a time limit. Like you need to finish a battle before you arrive.”

He tapped his foot on the pavement, thinking. “That could be really tough. Subways are meant for fast travel.”

“It's probably better to ask them. Anyhow, you saw that big gate near the entrance, right? That leads to an amusement park! It's free to get in, but some of the attractions have to be paid for. But not the Pokemon Gym. And then, somewhere around here,” she turned around, pointing to a building in the opposite direction. “Over there, I think. I remember there being a really serious group of researchers who were looking for Trainers around the time that I left. Their lab might still be around, I don't know. But I do know that if you all the way to the north side of the city, you'll find the Pokemon musical theater!”

“Do they have Pokemon sing?” Nate asked, thinking.

She shrugged. “Sometimes, but it's mostly dance and dressing them up to be all fancy. I liked watching some of the shows, but there were Pokemon that didn't look too comfortable in their costumes. That annoyed me. Also on the north side, there's a pair of sports stadiums. I hear that the players and fans are really into Pokemon battles. As long as there's not a game going on, it's probably the best place to train inside Nimbasa itself. The subway battles are probably too hard.”

“No way to know until we try ourselves.” He closed his eyes for a bit. Argent poked him in the shoulder playfully.

“So, what do you want to do today?” Rosa asked. “I was thinking about trying to find some old friends, if they're still around.”

“I need to do some training, as usual,” he said, glancing at Argent then looking at her. “I also want to check out the desert area again; I've got some ideas about how to handle the Gym here. But now I've also got that mall to consider. So there's a theater... definitely should find someone who can groom Pokemon well, because that'd be a big draw.”

“Hey, how about a shop that sells accessories... oh yeah!” She pumped a fist in the air. “I met this girl in Castelia, Melissa I think. She's the one I traded Angel to, to get Grim. She likes fashion.”

“Could ask, at least,” Nate said with a nod. “Actually, I remember talking the Hugh's sister Violet a few times, about how her and her mother liked to cook. I wonder if I could convince them... but her mom already works as a cook.”

“Ask them anyhow,” Rosa said. She could remember their mother talking about how she would like to set up a small bakery of her own. “It might be out of the price range, though, since they'd need all sorts of gear.”

“The Join Avenue group will provide most things which are paid off through the wage system they have. They'll be all right. I'll probably look to an advertisement to get a groomer, but if you could put me in contact with Violet and the other girl, that'd be a good start.”

“Okay, I have their numbers right in here.” Since Nate had never spoke with the Castelia girl, and Rosa wanted to check up on Angel too, he let her call on Melissa.

Meanwhile, he was going to try reaching Violet and her mother. Rosa had given him a few numbers to try, but he got her after a few rings on her Xtransceiver. “Hi Nate!” she said, smiling warmly. “I wasn't expecting to hear from you.”

“Hi Violet,” he said, smiling back. “How are things going over there?”

“It's good. I thought it'd be quiet without you three around, but me and my friends have been having fun. How are you three?”

“Me and Rosa are doing great. But we actually don't see much of Hugh.”

She looked disappointed. “Oh, really? He called me a few times, but I haven't heard from him lately. Could you check up on him and make sure he's okay? And tell him to call home more. Me and mom and dad worry about him.”

Nate nodded. “Sure thing. I'll twist his ear until he agrees.”

She laughed. “Don't hurt him too much. But thanks.”

“No problem. I was calling about an interesting offer I got yesterday. Do you have anything going on this summer? Like a job or clubs?”

“No, not really,” she said. “I was thinking about getting a part-time job, but I might be a little late now. I wanted to work on my baking, but I was talking with mom about it and the problem is that if I practice, we'd be making too much for everyone to eat. Maybe we'll send you and Rosa some things.”

“Actually, that's perfect. See, I somehow became in charge of a indoors marketplace near Nimbasa.”

“Whoa, really?” Her eyes were wide with surprise.

He nodded. “Really, and I have a lot of empty spots for shops. The big thing is, there's a funding system with it that will provide what items people need to set up their dream shops. There's a lot of options for food shops, even for bakeries. When I saw that, you were the first person I thought of. Do you want to take charge a bakery here? You can invite your mom to work with you too, if she can manage it.”

“That's amazing!” Violet seemed to be hopping in excitement, based on the movement of the background. “I don't know if I’m good enough, but that would let me practice lots of things. And I think mom might be up for it. Can you hang on a moment? I want to connect mom in.”

“Sure.” He glanced over to see how Rosa was doing.

It was good timing. “He's right here, so I can ask him,” she was saying before looking at him. “Hey Nate, if she runs an accessory shop, does she have to make all the items she sells?”

He came closer and spoke up, hoping that Melissa could hear it. “No, we can put her in contact with a supplier to fill out her stock.”

“Did you hear that?” Rosa asked, looking back to the phone.

“Yeah, it's good that they'll let me sell other things,” Melissa said. “I don't have a lot of extra stuff. Oh, and would they have a sewing machine and supplies there too?”

“I think so,” Nate said. “If you want to meet up with me in Join Avenue later today, I can show you the options.”

“Nate?” Violet said.

“I'm here,” he said, then excused himself from the other conversation. Now a third window on the screen showed Violet's mother. “Did you hear about the offer?”

“It certainly seems interesting. Would you explain it again?”

He nodded and told her about Join Avenue's system. “You don't have to handle the business end of things because the office will take care of it.”

“Including the money and credits?”

“That too. You'll turn in the money you've made to the office and they'll sort out wages, taxes, and fees, the last part including start-up funds for the equipment.”

“That's certainly a welcome respite from hassle,” she said. “Work at the restaurant I'm at now has been really stressful lately, part of it because of the non-cooking tasks they assign me. I always thought it'd be great fun to have my own bakery, but I wanted to focus on the baking, not money and all that. This would be perfect... I wouldn't be able to start right away, since I need to give advanced warning of quitting.”

“Could I go over and start it?” Violet asked.

“If you have a few simple recipes to start with, I don't see why not,” her mother said, nodding. “What kinds of machines do they have?”

While he could meet up with Melissa because she lived in Castelia, Violet probably wouldn't be able to arrive for a few days. “I think I can show you now,” he said, requesting that his Xtransceiver bring up the Avenue files on the open fourth window. “Let me zoom in on this and find the bakery options.”

“Wow, looks like they can do so much,” Violet said, impressed on seeing the index for store listings.

“Yeah, they went all out setting this up,” Nate said. Again, he wondered what the purpose of putting all this effort into the Avenue was if Mr. Cartridge didn't seem to care. He selected the bakery option. “You can choose to focus on Pokemon, humans, or both. Looks like the items that will be there regardless are a work sink, a sanitizing station, an oven, a worktable, a display front, and a register. Also, ingredients and other supplies can be delivered on a regular basis, whatever you think you'll need.”

“Do they have different options on the oven?” Violet's mother asked. “And a fridge unit would be helpful.”

“What about a poffin mixer?” Violet asked. “They're easy enough to make by hand, but they don't come out the same.”

“I know I saw the poffin mixer in there,” Nate said. “And the fridge. Let's check on the oven.”

After showing them what was available, Violet and her mother agreed to open a bakery. Nate set that up for them so that by the time Violet arrived, the bakery would be installed. That just left Melissa to check up on. “She wants to check in on it in person, with her grandmother,” Rosa said. “They're going to come up here for lunch, so they'll meet us at the station about a quarter to noon.”

He nodded. “Sure, gives me a few hours to check out the desert. Maybe some other things. You want to come with me, or are you all right on your own?”

“Of course I'm fine on my own,” she said. “Wow, you've got a lot going. I wonder if the subway reaches Virbank now, if I want to visit Pokestar.” She giggled at that.

“Whatever works,” he said, smiling. “Well then, I’ll guess we'll meet back up when we can... oh yeah, nearly forgot something. Violet said she hasn't heard from Hugh in a while. Keep an eye out for him, and if you do see him, annoy him until he agrees to call home.”

“What?!” Rosa asked, frowning at that. “He hasn't called home lately? What's up with him? Well he'd better hope he runs into you, because I'm gonna really get after him about this.”

Nate shifted his visor. “Is it wrong that I’m hoping you do run into him, so he takes this seriously?”

“I dunno,” Rosa said. “I'll see you when I see you. Have fun!”

-+-

Nate had to head back through Join Avenue to get where he wanted. The boys weren't at their shop, but it was already adjusted to its new function. Which was a surprise, since turning it into a vending machine area meant taking out most of the counter and installing all the machines. There was a group of teenagers there, getting drinks and talking about their plans. As he thought, that worked better than the very narrow focus than it had been before.

Coming out from the building, there was a path to the right that headed to Desert Resort, joining up with the main part of Route 4. An elevated highway was overhead; the structure thankfully managed to block a lot of the noise. He headed straight ahead until he had to cross under the highway again to reach an unpaved path. Instead of the nice grassy ground that was elsewhere in Unova, it was all loose yellow sand here. He came across a trio of Pokemon cacti, who swayed and rattled their arms in some kind of dance. While they might be nice, he knew without checking for their type that they'd spook Rosa.

The next gateway building appeared at the end of a small canyon area, but he wasn't able to reach it. Right before the canyon opened up again, there was a blockade of packed dirt and rocks. It was piled three feet high in a perfectly straight line. Nate put his hands on his hips. “Look, it's the infamous waist-high fence. I'm sure it's not insurmountable this time around, though. Ruby, think you can break it?”

The Pignite strode up to the dirt pile, giving it a test prod. Something seemed to stand out to her, so she sniffed. It seemed to not be ordinary dirt, so she grunted and looked down at Patience. The Eevee pricked her ears up, then tilted her head at Nate.

“Go ahead and do what she asks,” Nate said, feeling that Ruby had noticed something he hadn't.

Patience gave a small bark, then went over and began digging at the base of the dirt piles. She wasn't making a lot of progress, but she did uncover something red and brown. Unsure of what it was, she touched it with her paw, then yelped and jumped back in fright. Nate went over and cleared some more sand from the spot. Something like a crab was buried in the sand. Or, was it buried? It was connected to the dirt pile. Up close now, he could see thin lines at regular intervals.

“It's a whole bunch of Pokemon lined up and asleep,” he said. Then he prodded the Pokemon's head himself. It shifted a limb, exposing a claw. However, it didn't wake up and it didn't get close to pinch him. “If I knew them better, I might try climbing over them, but... I wouldn't want to hurt them. What's got them asleep exactly like this?”

“Bzzt,” Argent buzzed, floating down to see. He gave a small spark to one of them, but it didn't do anything.

“Hello, what's this now?” a voice from the other side of the pile said. Nate stood up and saw Colress and his Elgyem there. “Building fortifications?”

“No, I just got here,” Nate said. “These appear to be Pokemon. But it's weird how they're straight in a line, exactly to block this path.”

Colress rubbed his chin while his Pokemon queried him. “I agree. These would be Crustle, an evolved form of Dwebble. I could see them getting together in a cold place, but that would be in a bunch, not a line. Are they doing anything on your side?”

“Sleeping. The only reaction I got from one was really sluggish.”

“Hmm.” The scientist brought out a handheld scanner and checked over one. “Huh. Tell me, do you know about the power point rating?”

He nodded. “Yeah, that's how much energy a Pokemon has for attacking. High level attacks take up more points, in most cases.”

“Pretty good,” Colress said, smiling in approval. “Most people don't know the actual term for it. Pokemon tire from daily activities, but they tire much faster if they're out of PP. From the scan of this one, I can tell that it's PP exhausted. It doesn't happen often with wild Pokemon.”

“But it happened to all of them, in this formation,” Nate said, puzzled. He looked at the ground, but only the prints of himself and his Pokemon were there. “Are there any signs over there that they were dragged or pushed into place?”

Colress looked over the ground on his side. “Not that I can see. These sands can shift rapidly. Still, this would explain the lack of people I’ve run into. I came here well before dawn for some investigation. But now that I think about it, I believe I have something that may help.” He pulled a storage device out of his bag and searched through its contents.

“I guess if we gave them berries or potions to recover some PP,” Nate said, thinking over what could work. “But, I seem to think that they're rather pricy.”

He nodded. “For this purpose, yes. Most Trainers don't go far enough from convenient Pokecenters to encounter PP exhaustion in Pokemon. But I did attempt to invent a device that could recover PP. Ah, here it is.” He summoned what seemed to be a remote control device, boxy and white with a short antenna. After adjusting a dial, he warned, “It works a little too well, recovering energy to any Pokemon in an eight foot radius. Your Pokemon may be a little wound up as a result, but just have them run it off.” He then pressed a button.

All of the Pokemon in the immediate area acted as if jolted by an unseen force, jumping on the spot or increasing movements (like the Elgyem's lights). This was most dramatic in the Crustles. In sync, the eight of them jumped out of the sand, their eyes looking around warily and their claws ready to strike. After a few questioning calls, the Crustles scurried off separately to find other places to hide.

“How do you get a machine to do that?” Nate asked, walking closer to Colress now that the way was clear.

“I'm afraid that you'd need a degree in physics for me to give a clear explanation,” he replied, recalling the device to storage. “In particular modifications to base physics laws as standard in Pokemon energy manipulation.”

“So a wizard did it.”

“More or less.” He looked over Nate's three Pokemon, thoughtful. “Say, what level is your Magneton there?”

“Bbzzzt?” Argent had been whirling one of his heads to discharge some power, but he paused at the question.

“Argent's level 25,” Nate said. “Isn't in in your data?”

“Yes, but I haven't gone over it today. That's good; I have a Magneton of the same level. Would you be interested in trade it for...” he considered it briefly, “a Golett? Some things have come up in the study and I want to look more closely at the differences between Pokemon that are traded or not.”

“Is it really smart to have two of the same Pokemon on one team?” Nate asked.

Colress shrugged. “It could be seen as not, but my study is far more important. The Golett's a Ground and Ghost type; I think it would be useful to you.”

It certainly seemed like an interesting typing, although Argent was useful too. But it wasn't quite that simple. He knew Argent and Ruby were friendly with each other, and he liked the Magneton as well. “Maybe. Argent, are you all right with that?”

“Kzzz.” Argent said something to Ruby, then went over and asked the Elgyem a question. It caused the alien-like Pokemon to seem puzzled, then cheerful as he replied.

“Is it important for you to ask?” Colress asked, watching the interactions curiously.

“I think it's respectful,” Nate said. “And, he's been a friend too; I guess you could call it that. So I don't want to let them go without knowing they'll be okay. Seeing how your Pokemon likes you, I feel like I can trust you.”

He put his hand to his chin. “You know, some Pokemon wouldn't care about being traded. I've seen it happen. But their Trainers didn't think of Pokemon like you do. This would make sense for you.” He pulled a Pokeball out of his holder. “This is Signet, the Golett I'm offering. I haven't used him quite as long as Triste here, but from what I've seen, he's quiet but capable. Scientists like myself have wondered for a long time how they actually work, but maybe you can understand him better than I do.”

“I don't really understand them.”

Argent came back over to Nate, sparking in excitement. Now that he had three units connected by magnets, it was a little harder to tell when he was agreeing with something. But a slight nod from Ruby assured Nate of what the Magneton was trying to communicate.

“Seems he's okay with it,” Nate said. “Sure, I'll take that trade.”

Colress chuckled a little. “And yet, you understand them better than most. All right, let's get this done.”

-+-

Nimbasa

It was like the old times, but it wasn't. Rosa had found two of her friends from when she'd lived here, girls she'd thought of as her best friends ever back then. Rikki and Amanda were still close, but Rosa hadn't heard much from them in the past couple of years. “You could've sent me an email or something,” she said.

“I had some trouble with a hacker a few months back, and all my internet accounts ended up messed up,” Rikki said.

“I kept meaning to send you a message,” Amanda said. “But I got busy with school and cheerleading club.”

Rikki nodded. “Oh yeah, you know how everybody thought the squad for Nimbasa's school was the best? It's because the coach is like a drill sargent with us. Sometimes I think it'd be more fun to be in another squad. How's the one at your school?”

“I didn't join the cheer squad,” Rosa said, feeling a little embarrassed.

“Oh, because you're too clumsy?” Rikki asked teasingly.

“No! I joined a karate class instead, and now I’m traveling around as a Pokemon Trainer.” Besides, she was getting better at not tripping up so much now. At least when she was paying attention.

“Isn't karate kinda violent?” Amanda asked, concerned for her.

“Not unless you make it that way,” Rosa said. “My teacher uses karate exercises as his fitness routine; he only uses it in practice or self-defense. I haven't been doing so good in keeping up with it, but I walk and bike a lot now.”

“I guess you don't have to worry about gaining weight that way,” Rikki said. “But I prefer being a cheerleader. It's made us a lot more popular around here.”

“Is that a good reason for it?” Rosa asked, skeptical. “Especially since you don't have fun with it under the coach.”

“Well I'm not about to let that wreck my reputation,” she said.

Amanda clapped her hands to get their attention. “Oh, you know what Rosa? If you're a Pokemon Trainer.. hey Rikki, you think we should take her to see the mystery Pokemon?”

“What mystery Pokemon?” Rosa asked, already interested.

“Yeah, what one?” Rikki asked.

Their friend put her hands on her hips. “You know... the one in the pond, the one that's not supposed to be there.”

“Oh...oh right!” Rikki grinned. “Yeah, there's this Pokemon out by the amusement park in the pond there. People keep fishing it out, but it never lets anybody catch it. What we do know is that it's not supposed to be there.”

“Yeah, there's none like it around here,” Amanda agreed.

“Really? But I don't have a fishing pole to get a Pokemon like that.” Though with how much Curtis talked about fishing, she had been thinking about buying a pole at some point.

“Don't worry about that,” Rikki said, grabbing her arm. “Come on, let's go see!”

They hurried over to the amusement park entrance. Right by the gate, there was a man-made square pond that housed a variety of fountains and lights for special occasions. A few wild Pokemon had found their way to it and made their homes there, even back when Rosa had lived here. There was a bar dividing the sidewalk from the pond, but it couldn't stop them from ducking under and going up to the water.

“People actually fish in here now?” Rosa asked.

Amanda nodded. “Yeah. A while back, they had a fishing contest but not all the Pokemon they let into the pond were caught. Then they changed the rules about fishing here because they were afraid it couldn't support all of them.”

“Still, how're we supposed to find your mystery Pokemon?” Rosa knelt down and tapped the surface of the water.

“I don't think it'll take long,” Rikki said. Then she cupped her hands around her mouth. “Hey Chuchu!”

“Chuchu?!” Rosa said, almost not believing that she heard that name again. That was a Pokemon she knew, one that her father had brought home to her on one of his photography trips. That had been years ago.

Then there was a splash as a Pokemon dashed up out of the pool and landed on the shore. She had blue scales and two glowing antenna tips. “Zzzbit-chu!” the Chinchou said.

“Aaa, it is you!” She grabbed Chuchu and hugged her tight. “I'm so sorry. It was a mistake due to those crazy people. Are you okay?”

Chuchu made a happy gurgling sound and nuzzled her cheek. Even though she had left the Chinchou behind, Chuchu didn't care now that Rosa was with her. It was good to know that she at least forgave her.

Still holding onto her old Pokemon, Rosa got up and smiled at her friends. “Hey you knew who she was. Thanks so much.”

Amanda nodded. “Sure, we've been keeping an eye on her. She didn't want to get captured, but we had to dissuade a few people.”

“Yeah, but she's one of the few released Pokemon that we were able to keep track of,” Rikki said. “Mostly cause there aren't other Chinchou around here.”

“I wonder if I can find my mom's old Pokemon still around,” Rosa said. “I’ll have to look. You want to come with me, Chuchu?”

Not that she really had to ask. They were still friends and it was better to be together.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
I know it's been a while since this updated. Lots of things happened.

Colress is a wizard. That explains a lot, haha. Actually, that Crustle blockade occurs earlier, in the middle of Route 4. But it's not the most annoying plot blockade in B2/W2.

3D992

The Living Hologram
:( Kinda sad Nate gave up Argent, but I'm sure it's for the best. I was starting to lose hope after about a week, but here you are!

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 23: Friends, Old and New

June 18
Desert Resort

Rosa had decided to come with him out to the desert. Holding her hand in front of her eyes (because even their visors didn’t keep away all the sand in the wind), she looked ahead. “Well I thought I might find one of my mom's old Pokemon around here, like I found Chuchu,” she said.

“A desert Pokemon, huh?”

She nodded. “It was a Vibrava, so in here or in the sandy parts of Route 4 would make most sense.”

“I've seen two of them,” Nate said. “How do you mean to find one particular one?”

“Lenny!” She waited a moment, the shrugged. “It worked on Chuchu. I suppose I'll look around and fight some wild Pokemon.”

They separated, but being in the same area, they crossed each other's paths often. In the southwest part of the desert, there was a cluster of large rocks that separated part of the desert from the rest. Nate looked around the area, seeing one Vibrava sitting on the side of a rock. “Lenny?” he asked.

The Vibrava tilted its head, then scurried up and vanished over the top. Maybe it was Janice's old Pokemon, maybe it wasn't. Rosa would probably have caused a more readable reaction.

For a moment, Nate had the feeling that someone behind him was watching him. He turned, but he didn't see anything other than sand and rocks. To his side, Patience was digging in the sand while Signet watched. The Golett's clay skin had lines that glowed, faint blue right now. He pointed to the Eevee a second before she barked, digging a little faster. After a moment, she picked something up with her teeth and pulled it out. She immediately offered the small scratched up container.

It seemed to be one of the Pokemon healing cartridges that were used with a spray bottle. The label was faded, but there seemed to be no leaks. Taking out his sprayer, he put in the mystery cartridge to find that it was a usable Ether.

“Hey, nice find,” he said, petting Patience's head. “Thank you.”

She wagged her tail and licked his hand, seemingly more grateful.

“It got lost in the sand, so we don't have to worry about stealing,” he said, smiling for her. Then Nate had that feeling of being watched again. “Who's here?”

“Leeeh,” Signet said, pointing up above the rocks.

“Up there?” he asked, looking in that direction. Past the sandy air, he could see something hovering in place. Probably a Pokemon. Then he saw something else.

The trees were coated in snow, making it difficult to fly. But his person was here, running through the trees. Had this been a good idea? He'd been trying to help him see the truth. Why did he fight it so hard?

On finding his person crouched by a frozen river, he landed in a tree. He was dressed in a brown and green coat, hat, and scarf. It made it hard to see his face, although his green ponytail still hung down his back. And it wasn't hard to see how upset he was.

'That person.'

He was looking over the frozen part of the river mouth, between Nimbasa and Driftveil. For a little while, his mind drifted to a vision of some other place and time. Maybe if he could see that, he could understand this human a little better. He tried to reach his mind out, but the vision ended before he could connect.

Down below, a small black and white Pokemon walked through the snow, seeking the human. The two of them started talking to each other, letting him watch his person's face for a little bit.

'That is him.'

'You know my friend?' There was a quick change in the memory, showing the image of the young man with green hair, standing in the desert and in what seemed to be the ghost of an ancient city..

'Yes, he was my... my friend... ugh.'

'What?'

They were standing on the balcony of a palace, the dark city sitting quietly in the background. There should have been many lights out there, people busily living their lives. And there should be... something, Nate couldn't think of what it was. Some kind of animal that should be everywhere, but wasn't.

“You're going to be leaving me,” his friend said, leaning on the balcony railing. Strands of his green hair fluttered in a wind that didn't exist.

“I don't have any plans to.” If anything, he was trying to speak with him more often.

“But you will. I don't mind, since you'll be safer that way.” He rapped the railing, then turned to Nate. “You'll be given a mystery, some of which you might need your own memories for. But with the memory purges, that would be hard. I'm sorry.”

“You couldn't understand what it meant,” Nate said. His words did give him some hope. “Your mind seems clear today.”

“I got some help. That is, if you're looking at it in from my time. From yours, I've not.” He put one of his gloved hands on Nate's forehead. “Your memories are damaged, so you might not remember everything. You certainly won't remember easily. But I thought of something that might help. It's supposed to let you see the memories of others in order to help. If I set it up right, it should help you find your own as well.”

“I don't know if I want to trespass on memories,” Nate said.

“Find the way to the truth,” his friend said.

'Is that really him?'

The brightness, warmth, and grit reminded Nate of where he was. He saw the Pokemon above for a moment longer, then it flew off. But it seemed to know something. “Wait up!” he called. “How do you know him?”

“Errr?” Patience asked, tilting her head.

“Where did that Pokemon go?” he asked, looking at Signet.

The Golett pointed up again. Then he heard a Pokemon call above him. Because of his call, it had come back. It was a brightly colored bird, but it also seemed like an old symbolic sculpture whose meaning had been forgotten. It seemed like it was going to challenge him, which was something he didn't mind. After all, it was normal with Pokemon.

A few minutes later, he had to call Rosa. “Could you come meet me in the southeast part of the desert, behind some large rocks? My Pokemon got knocked unconscious.”

“All of them?” she asked, shocked.

“Yeah,” he said, feeling unsettled with worry as he looked over an Ultra ball in his hand. “I was after another Pokemon and got it, but... well, I need to get out of here and back to Nimbasa.”

“Sure, I’ll be right over,” she said, hanging up so she could hurry over.

Back in the Pokecenter, he told her about what he'd seen. “I'm not really sure how to explain it,” he said after. “The person this Sigilyph remembers certainly looks like my friend. From what I saw, acts similarly too. It can't really be the same person, though.”

“Maybe it is, but he's a person in both worlds?” Rosa suggested. “What's his name?”

He turned over the Ultra ball, then passed it over to her. “It's a bit odd, but I’m pretty sure this is his name.”

“Shouldn't it have your name since you caught it... N?” She looked at the status screen in disbelief. “Wait, your friend back at your home, he was the leader of Team Plasma here?”

“It seems that way,” Nate said, shrugging. “I don't know why the status screen did that. But as soon as I saw it, I knew, N was one of the last people in my world. Maybe the last, since I left.”

“It even says this Pokemon is named Rune,” Rosa said. “Huh... hey, what if... but that's too weird.”

“What if what?” Nate asked. “Doesn't matter if it's weird because it already is.”

She tried to smile, but the thought was bothering her. “It's nothing. I'm sure it's not that. Hey, maybe Cheren might know something, at least why N's named showed up here. It'd be something.”

Nate wondered what she had been thinking. There were still a lot of questions, although knowing his old friend's name was nice. Maybe in researching the N here, he might figure out something about his other world too. However, she was right in that one more question might be readily answered. He called Cheren for that.

Luckily, he managed to get Cheren on the first try. “Hi Nate,” he said. “Something up?”

He nodded. “I just had a question for you. I hope I'm not interrupting anything.”

“It's all right; what's on your mind?”

He explained about catching Rune and how his Pokeball still noted the OT as N. “I hadn't seen or heard about anything like that before.”

Cheren rubbed his chin. “Yeah, that is strange. I know a little bit about Rune. He was very devoted to N, more than usual for a Pokemon. Usually if you get a Trainer and Pokemon that have that strong of a bond, the Pokemon wouldn't be released into the wild again. But at first, N was releasing Pokemon even when he bonded with them quickly. It could be that Rune feels so strongly about him that it influenced the Pokeball registration.”

“Would that be enough?”

“There hasn't been a lot of research like that, but it would make sense to me.”

That sounded like a good enough explanation for now. Since he had gotten Cheren easily this time, Nate told him about how they were doing with their research into Hilda's disappearance. The main thing was about what he'd seen in Castelia and how they were almost certain that Hilda was now in Nate's home world. “They were being watched by some people Rosa called the Shadow Triad. We ran into one of them, actually. She seemed to think that I was dangerous and should be killed.”

Cheren's jaw dropped a bit. “She did? In that case, it's lucky that you're alive. They're extremely skilled. But if they were following Hilda and Kyurem, they would've been challenged to do anything to them. He was protecting her and wouldn't let them get her.”

“No, I think they could have,” Nate said. “I don't doubt that Kyurem was strong enough, but he may have been distracted.”

“What do you mean by that?”

He hesitated, not sure how much Cheren knew already. “Well... I know how it would have happened. But it's... see, I'm looking into other people's memories, even if I can't entirely control what I see. So there's some things that I’m not sure others will want me to share.”

“I see. Well I have gotten information from other sources. According to Pokecenter records, she last used their services in early June in White Forest. She'd spent a few days in that area, so it's likely they were there when they disappeared. You can access the forest from the routes west and east of Nimbasa, but it's a huge area.”

Nate nodded. “Then I should be able to see something around there. I'll look into that.”

“That's good. Actually, the ones who told me that were Hilbert and N. I'm waiting to meet up with them right now. I'll them them about you and what you're doing. He might not be your old friend, but N might be able to help you still, so I can try to talk him into meeting with you.”

“Maybe, but,” he shook his head. “I'm not sure about that. Meeting with that ninja woman triggered some of my memories to come back, but also caused me to briefly forget everything. Meeting the N from this world would most likely cause a stronger reaction.”

“That is a concern. I'll talk with them anyhow. We'll figure this out eventually, all of these mysteries.”

Once he hung up, Nate wondered if he should have agreed to meet with N despite the risk. That might trigger more important memories; maybe it wouldn't help figuring out what happened to Hilda, but they'd be important to him. Still, he wasn't sure about how N would take meeting someone who might have a mental breakdown just on seeing him.

“Nate!” Rosa said, excited about something and grabbing his arm. “Come on, you've got to see this. I found Curtis!”

“What?” She just pulled at him, so he followed her over to a public notice board in the Pokecenter.

“There, that's it!” She pointed out a large bright flier in the center. 'PWT' was very prominent across the top of it. 'Pokemon Trainers, think you're ready to make a showing on the global stage? The Pokemon World Tournament stadium is nearing its grand opening and you have a chance to participate in the very first competition! For one day only (6/19), we will have a special trial: Defeat ten Battle Subway Doubles Battles in a row to enter one of the qualifying battles to be part of the opening tournament bracket! As a special bonus, the first winners of the trial will be granted a special day with the magnificent musical star Christoph! New or old to the subway battle scene, come test your abilities and possibly attain worldwide fame!'

“Sounds interesting, but why do you think it has anything to do with Curtis?” Nate asked. He was pretty sure that he didn't stand much of a chance winning a worldwide Pokemon battle tournament. Then again, Ruby was quite strong, Signet had turned out very capable, and Rune had wiped them both out with ease...

“I wasn't sure who he was, but I'm certain now that he's Christoph.” She grinned. “And to think, I've been talking to my favorite singer this whole time! See, back when we first got here, I got a call from Curtis and he was complaining about how he was getting set up on a blind date through some others holding a double battles competition. I thought that was pretty weird, but now that I see this, it has to be him! You gotta help me win this so I can return his Xtransciever and meet him.”

“Couldn't you just call him out on who he is?” Nate pointed out. “I mean, this is going to be challenging but you're pretty sure that he will be in Nimbasa tomorrow. It'd be simpler.”

She frowned at him in a scolding way. “Well yeah, but he's being made to go on a date that he doesn't want to go on. It'd be better for him if it ended up being with some people that he knows. And I know that a subway trial has got to be a challenge, which is why I’m asking you to help.”

“We could try, but there's no telling how tough the competition will be.”

With his Pokemon healthy again, Nate decided to head over to Route 5 for a change; Rosa wanted to check something at the subway, so they split up again. There were a few groups holding battles along the road, in a style that called for three Pokemon to be out at once. Nate brought out his four Pokemon, figuring it was best to have them all out for this. As he thought, it caused a reaction as the others saw Rune again. Ruby snorted, while Patience scurried behind Signet to observe.

“It's okay, he's with us now,” Nate said. “I think so, anyhow. Rune, is this about where your memory happened? I don't know this place all that well, but with the trees and the bay...”

Rune tilted his eyestalk and blinked, something that got confirmed by Ruby to a positive response. In particular, the colorful bird looked off to the northwest. Close, at least.

Nate nodded. “I see. About what you were thinking, he is the same person, and he's not at the same time. I'm not from this world, but I may be from one similar to it. I just don't remember. I can't even remember what really happened there. Anyhow, if you decided to come with me because you're looking for the N you knew, it might not work out. I'm trying to figure out myself, and also what happened to Hilda and Kyurem since that's definitely connected to why I'm here. Also, what's up with my friend Rosa, as she seems to be Keldeo without memory of previous lives. We're trying to find out a lot of things, which may or may not have anything to do with N here.” He held the Ultra Ball out to Rune. “I can let you go if you like. Or you can come with us. Whatever you want.”

“Kuurrroo,” Rune sang, flying around.

For a moment, Nate thought he wanted to be let go. But then he felt something that was like the Memory Link, if weaker. Rune was interested in truth and if they were interested in finding out the truth of these things, then he was interested in them. While he would like to see N again, the Sigilyph agreed to go with Nate for a time.

Nate smiled at that. “Thanks. Maybe having you around can help in a less disruptive way. It'll certainly help with tomorrow.” He turned to his other three Pokemon. “Rosa's roped us into joining a tournament then. Well, it's something like the qualifier for the official qualifier for the real tournament next month. I know we haven't been working together long, so it's a long shot to think of winning a tournament. But there someone we want to meet tomorrow and while we're doing that, we might as well give it our best. Let's give it our best.”

Patience seemed uncertain and looked up at the others. Ruby smiled and posed with her fists, glad for a chance to show off. On the other hand, Signet put his hand to his chin, in a way that looked so thoughtful that Nate wondered if he'd run into Colress with this tournament business. Rune was still a mystery to Nate, but he didn't try to fly off or go back on his offer to stay. With at least Ruby optimistic, Patience wagged her tail and seemed willing to try.

“Right then, well...” he looked around the street. “Seems these folks like Triples and Rotation. But, it should still be good practice. Let's give it a try.”

-+-

June 19

The next morning found them sitting in the subway's Gear Station, waiting for their chance to start the subway trial. Although the announcement of this had gone out only recently, there was quite a crowd in the underground circular area of the station. Mostly teenaged girls, although Nate found another guy to talk to. “My sister begged me to help her out on this, but we missed the first train,” he said. “I'd prefer if they did the PWT qualifications without the date part.”

“That would deter some potential competitors,” Nate agreed. “My friend wanted me to help her, although I am interested to see how my team does.”

The other guy nodded. “Me too.”

The large Double Battles train pulled in, letting off six challengers. Fortunately, Nate and Rosa were able to get onto the train this time, in the last of the ten cars. Inside, the train didn't seem well suited for passenger traffic. There were only two benches in the back third of the car, with the rest devoted to a battle area. It had a lot of head clearance and width, so that some larger Pokemon could be used. The walls seemed quite sturdy as well.

At the front of the train car, there were a pair of female Ace Trainers, as noted by their blue uniforms. “Hello there, welcome to our special challenge!” one said. “Are you new to the subway or should we just get down to the battles?”

“We're new here, so an explanation would be nice,” Nate said.

“Seriously?” She rolled her eyes. “This is for a big tournament; maybe you new kids should hold off for another day.”

“Geez, you don't need to be rude about it,” her friend said. “Okay, quick explanation. The battle subway system is one where you take on battles one after another until you lose. For every battle you win, you'll earn Battle Points which can be traded in for items later on. There's many styles that the subway hosts. In this particular train, it's Doubles with two Trainers, three Pokemon each.”

“What I don't get is why they're using this train for the first stage PWT qualifiers,” the first girl said. “I heard the opening tournament was going to be Singles with one Trainer.”

“Hopefully they use that format for the next stage of qualifiers,” Nate said.

“Well that settles the explaining part,” the first girl said. “So pick the three Pokemon you'll use.”

Nate had four Pokemon, but it was fairly easy to decide on using Ruby, Signet, and Rune; Patience would need some more focused training to catch up to the rest. Rosa had five, though. Her Chinchou would be great, but like Patience she was behind on the rest. They decided on using Bard, Medusa, and Grim.

The two Ace Trainers were tough, but Rosa and Nate were able to defeat them without having any of their Pokemon knocked out. Moving ahead to the next train car, they traded places with another set of partners to battle a pair of teen boys who loved Bug and Poison types. They were not nearly as tough. In fact, as they proceeded up the cars, the only fight that was as tough was a man and woman who both used mixed teams. Three stations stops into their ride, they had beaten nine matches and could fight the bosses of this train.

In that first car, they found Christoph there, sitting on one of the benches and doing something on a laptop. A man in a blue suit and dark sunglasses was on the bench with him, watching over them (presumably). The blond-haired boy looked up and smiled at them. “Hello there!” he said cheerily. “You'd be the second pair to make it here today, but you might be the first winners.”

There was a pair of girls on the other bench, looking annoyed and disappointed. “You're going to need some luck,” the annoyed one said.

“Yeah, so good luck!” Christoph said, in a cheerfully naïve tone.

“I don't think it's all luck,” one of the bosses said. He had quite a uniform, consisting of a black overcoat with brown stripes, a matching hat, boots, and gloves. The overall effect was something like a fancy police officer.

“Hmm, yes,” the other boss said. He had an outfit exactly like his friend, but with white instead of black. “Well done to make it here. I am Emmet, and this is my friend Ingo. We're here with a special team that we're training.”

“But you're still going to find them quite a challenge,” Ingo said with a smug expression.

“Fine by me,” Nate said.

“Yeah, I'm Rosa, and this is my friend Nate!” she said.

“Rosa?” Christoph said in surprise. Then he glanced aside in nervousness. It seemed that she might have been right.

Fortunately for him, she was talking somewhat loudly so the others didn't notice him as much. “And we're aiming to win!”

“Good attitude,” Emmet said. “Come forward and we'll begin.”

The following battle was hectic. Nate sent out Ruby to start with while Rosa used Bard. Their opponents started off with a Gurder and a Gigalith, both of them managing to make the subway train shift as they appeared. Bard moved first against the Gigalith, enthusiastically slashing it with his shells. Knowing that it would most likely hang on (and it did), Nate had Ruby use a follow up attack to finish it off. But that was the only easily handled Pokemon.

Things got tough when Emmet released a Zebstrika. The zebra Pokemon was fast, able to take out Bard before Ruby landed a strong hit to take it out. Since the 'white boss' was already down two, Nate focused on taking out Emmet's third Pokemon, but then Ingo's Gurder took out Ruby. Rosa played defensively with Medusa, so Nate brought out Rune to power through the rest of the battle.

“Great job,” Emmett said, tipping his hat to them. “You two work well together, but you'll come against each other in the next qualifier round. Could I get your IDs to put you down for it?”

If Rosa decided to join the next round, then they would. But that might not happen. “Sure, when's it going to be?” Nate asked, taking out his ID card.

“On the twenty-fourth,” Ingo said. “You'll be sent an email with more information closer to the date.”

Emmett nodded, taking his card. “And if you win that round, you'll be sent as one of the two representatives of the Unova Battle Subway. That alone will earn you prestige.”

“I see.” If they were acting as representatives, why didn't they pick them from Subway regulars? But maybe that's who they were trying to attract, only the bonus for today would attract others.

“That's going to be a tough competition,” Rosa said.

“You're also the first winners against us today, so you get to spend the rest of the day with our guest celebrity here,” Ingo said, gesturing towards Christoph. “I'm sure that'll be exciting.”

“Oh yeah!” Rosa said.

“Great job,” Christoph said, walking up to them now. “I hope I won't get in your way.”

“We're just friends,” Nate said, taking back the two cards from Emmett. “And you'll probably be with her most of the time, if you don't mind Curtis. I mean, Christoph.” He smiled. “Sorry about that, was thinking of someone else.”

He had a genuine smile on his face at that. “No problem.”

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
And we have Rune back! Plus an interesting piece to the puzzle. I almost added in another puzzle piece, but decided it was a bit early to reveal that one. Although, I'm sure it could be figured out with what's there.

Plus we have Curtis in person, if at the point where a player would normally be starting that sidequest. If I remember right, I've been able to meet up with him about the time I get to Opelucid. Then again, I'm someone who runs all over the map looking for stuff, so it's pretty easy.

Also, one of the Pokemon is going to evolve next chapter... and not the off-screen either.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Now I'm even more confused, but that's how I've been all day. It's always good to see old pokemon like Rune. :) I hope that by the end of this I will finally be able to put all the puzzle pieces together.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 24: Cold Shock

June 19
Nimbasa

Getting back through Gear Station was some trouble. Curtis had a bodyguard with him, but they still had to get past the nearly two dozen other fans that had come hoping for a date with their idol. On coming out, a few of them groaned as they realized they didn't have a chance now. Others cheered on seeing him. “Hey Christoph, could you talk with me for a moment?” one of the girls said after jumping out of her seat and running over.

“Sorry, but ah, I'm going to be hanging out with Rosa today,” he said. “Thanks for coming though! Maybe you can still make it into the Pokemon World Tournament.”

“Please let us through,” the bodyguard said in a firm but polite tone.

“Let's go before they really start making a fuss,” Curtis said quietly to Rosa.

Fortunately, the bodyguard was able to dissuade the other fans from following them out immediately. Once they were out in the streets of Nimbasa, they brought much less attention to themselves. Rosa pulled the silver and black Xtransceiver out of her bag, where she had put it in easy reach this morning. “So, this is yours, right?”

“Right, thanks for getting it back to me,” he said, taking it back even though he had a similar and newer model on his wrist. “It's not much now, but I appreciate your integrity.”

“What is that?” the bodyguard asked.

“It's the phone I lost a few weeks back,” Curtis said. “Although it's funny, that you two would end up being the ones to win today.”

“Well we had to try,” Rosa said. “So what do you want to do?”

He shrugged. “Whatever you'd like.” After the bodyguard shifted his glasses, Curtis hastily added, “Within reason, of course. I do have a place reserved for lunch, and they're expecting me to have guests.”

“Are they okay with having Pokemon eat there too?” Rosa asked. “Because we always let our Pokemon share.”

He nodded. “Yeah, I'm sure they'll be fine with it. Other than that, I didn't have plans.”

Rosa shrugged. “Well I dunno either. We'd probably be training our Pokemon at the Desert Resort. Unless you had something to do, Nate?”

“I wanted to check in on the Avenue, but that was pretty much it for me too,” Nate said. “Especially if we're going to get further with this tournament business.”

“I haven't been in Desert Resort before,” Curtis said. “Sounds interesting; I could probably work on my team too. What's this about an avenue?”

“It's on the way, just over there,” Rosa said, pointing out the building. “Let's go after we stop by the Pokecenter.”

It had only been a few weeks since Nate had taken over Join Avenue, but it had already changed to a more bustling marketplace. The smell of fresh muffins filled the air from Violet's bakery, which had a number of customers chatting and eating near it. Next to her stall, Melissa and her grandmother had various accessories for Pokemon and humans on display. Along with the vending stall (where the two boys were trying to convince someone into buying a Patch Hat), there was now a florist booth, a berry seller, and a book exchange.

Before they got far, a man approached them. It took a moment, but Rosa recognized him as the owner of the store on Route 4. “Good morning Nate. I'm glad I ran into you. I just wanted to pass along thanks from my friends about your offer to let them start small businesses here. It helps a lot, especially when compared to what I had to go through to open mine.”

“No problem,” Nate said. “I hope they do well here.”

He nodded. “Me too. Oh, and remember that ancient hymnal we talked about?”

“Ancient hymnal?” Curtis asked, interested.

“Yes, I still have my copy with me,” Nate said.

The store owner scratched his head. “I hardly believe it myself, but... we finally got a hold of an expert in ancient studies who can translate the old texts and he confirmed that it was a hymnal. You even got the meaning of the songs right. It's really odd, because it's an old language of Unova that few people can read now. He just wasn't sure how to figure out the musical scoring.”

Nate really did know that language? “Wow, how'd you learn that language?” Rosa asked Nate. Although he probably couldn't say.

As expected, he shrugged. “I don't know. Who was the expert you talked to?”

The man didn't seem comfortable with that question. “Sorry, but there's special circumstances... I can't tell you who he is right now. But he was interested that there was a young man who could read it. If things change and he wants to meet you, I'll get a hold of you.”

Nate was disappointed. “Really? Does it have to do with...?” he hesitated, scratching his head. Somehow, the man seemed to know what he was talking about and nodded. “I see. Well... I think I'd like to meet him, if possible. Let me know.”

“Certainly.”

After saying goodbye to him, Curtis spoke up again. “What's this about an ancient hymnal?”

“It's a book I bought from him a while back. You want to see it?” Nate pulled out his storage device.

“Sure, I'll be careful with it. It sounds interesting, a book of old songs from Unova.” He smiled sheepishly. “Probably not what I normally sing, but I'd still like to see it.”

“You do have music training,” Nate said, making the book materialize. “Maybe you can make some sense of it, or figure out what the melodies could be. Let's see if we can get a table at Violet's booth; maybe I’ll change one of these over to a sitting area soon.”

For a moment, Rosa felt a little jealous that Nate had gotten Curtis' interest just because of an old book. But it did have to do with music, and if he was interesting, it was good to let them talk about it. “You guys want to get some muffins from her? They smell really good.”

“I don't know if I should be having muffins,” Curtis said, looking over the glass display case. “But yeah, they do smell good. Maybe one with fruit? It'll be kind of healthy.”

“If we're heading out to Desert Resort, you might need one for the energy to walk around that place,” Nate said.

With that in mind, they agreed to the idea and Rosa went to the counter to order for them. Violet was working at the counter, wearing her brown hair in a yellow hairnet with a cute ribbon bow on top. “Oh, hey there!” she said, smiling. “Mom, it's Rosa.”

“Hello,” she said, waving a hand briefly as she was glazing some muffins fresh from the oven. “Have you heard from Hugh yet?”

“No, not yet,” Rosa said, feeling briefly annoyed. “I'd like to, and ask him what he's up to lately. But I don't know if he's following the League challenge. If not, he might be somewhere else entirely.” To distract herself from that, she looked over what was on display. There were some tempting chocolate chip muffins there, but that wasn't what Curtis wanted. They also had some cinnamon apple, orange spice, and carrot cake muffins, along with a basket of various poffins.

Violet smiled. “He sent me a text saying that he was all right, a few days back. But we haven't heard anything else out of him. But we have been quite busy since mom got here. I've never made so many muffins at once, but with the amount of people coming in to buy, I don't think there'll be many left over.”

“Well that's good,” Rosa said. “How're they liking them?”

She grinned. “Great so far! It's just muffins, poffins, and sometimes pretzels now, but I'm looking into trying some fancier things. Did you want something? I've got some bottles of milk, but the boys over there sell a lot more drinks, and the batch we just pulled out are lemon poppy.”

“Oo, lemon poppy sounds good,” Rosa said. “I'll have one of those, if it's okay. And, um,” she glanced back at the rest, looking over that book. “I think two cinnamon apple and a carrot cake; that should take care of everybody.”

“Okay... oh, is that Christoph over there?” Violet's ears turned pink. “Really him, or just somebody that looks like him?”

“Don't make a big fuss, but it really is him,” Rosa said in a whisper as she leaned over the counter.

“Eep,” Violet squeaked, putting her hands to her mouth. “Oh my. I hope he likes them. Um, we'll get that lemon poppy glazed for you, oh wait, better ring that up.” She put the order into the computer.

After paying for them and waiting on Violet to get the four muffins ready, Rosa thanked her and took them back to the table. Nate and Curtis were flipping through the hymnal, glancing over the songs. “Here, I hope you like apple muffins,” Rosa said, passing the muffins out.

“That sounds good,” Curtis said, nodding in thanks. “By the way, is that your friend over there? You were talking for a while.”

“Yeah, I've known her for a while,” she said, sitting down as well. “Have you figured out any of the songs?”

“The notations certainly is different than I’m used to,” Curtis said, looking at the book again. “Most of the world has been using the Kalos style of musical notation for three hundred years at least and... hang on, could you go back a page?”

“What'd you see?” Nate said, turning it back. He looked over the carrot cake muffin he had, then carefully peeled one part of the wrapper away to take a bite out of it.

Curtis put his finger on the title of the song, his lips moving while he thought. “Is that... All Taine Pa Shira?”

“It's most likely pronounced 'Auel Taine Pah Shira', but yes. It's something like 'Song of Loyalty to Shira', Shira being an old city founded by those who worshiped Reshiram. Or it might be better called an anthem, given the sense of nationality it has.”

He nodded. “I always heard it pronounced the other way. But, that's a well known tune, used for all kinds of songs. I've used it myself a few times, since it's easy to adapt to. It's just, I've never seen a copy of the original song.”

“So if you could figure out how to sing that song, you'd know what the notes mean?” Rosa asked.

“Maybe. As I said, it's pretty simple. I'd just need to figure out how to pronounce these words.”

“I can help with that,” Nate said. They spent some time eating the muffins and discussing how to sing the words there.

When they were done, Curtis sent his bodyguard to get some water. While he was gone, Curtis surprised her by touching her hand. “Hey Rosa... sorry I haven't said much. But, well, I'm in public still and I have to keep up being Crhistoph right now. The company's strict on that and I know this guy reports on my behavior and actions to my manager.”

“That's pretty crazy,” she said.

“You get used to it.” He shrugged. “They got after me the other day for sneaking off to talk with you, so I have to be careful today. I'm probably pushing things with this old hymnal, but I should be able to explain that away. But thanks. Do you mind if I get your number so we can stay in contact?”

“No, I’d like that,” she said, activating her Xtransceiver. If they worked quickly, and they did, they could avoid the bodyguard noticing the exchange. Nate even kept an eye on the crowd for them.

By the time the bodyguard came back, Curtis was back to his falsely cheerful personality of Christoph. Rosa wondered just how false it was. After getting a drink of water, he stood up and held the book. “Okay, I’ll give this a shot,” he said. “Might not be perfect, but wow, it's probably been centuries since this song was last sung properly. Here we go.” He took a few deep breaths, then started singing.

It didn't take long for those in Join Avenue to quiet down out of respect for the song. The words still made no sense to Rosa, but Curtis managed to put feeling into the song that was understandable. With Nate's translation of the song being a pledge of honor and pride in a home city, she could notice as Curtis kept that in mind. Maybe even those who had no idea what the words meant could tell what the song was about hearing it.

When he was done, people around them cheered. Curtis waved to them, then closed the book and handed it back to Nate. “I like that. Almost seems like a pity what the tune's used for now.”

“The pronunciation might be a little off, but I don't think much of anyone would care,” Nate said, putting the hymnal away. “Nice singing.”

He smiled as they got out of their seats as well. “Thanks, it was fun.”

“Maybe you could do a recording of old songs like that,” Rosa said, excited at the thought of it. It would be different, but more interesting in that way.

“I don't know if the studio would agree to that,” Curtis said. “At least, not now. But it'd be interesting to do sometime in the future if the experts can put it to modern notation. I'm sure once they recognize which tune that one is, they can handle it easily.”

Rosa clapped her hands together. “Right! So are we ready to head out to...?” and then everything seemed to shift around her. Everything changed, like a gale of winter air through a just opened door, or if the whole building suddenly got punted into the bay. It only lasted few seconds, but it would have knocked her off her feet if the bodyguard hadn't been alert enough to catch her.

“Rosa?” Nate and Curtis asked in concern, coming around the table to them.

“I, I'm okay,” she insisted, grabbing the bodygaurd's arm to make sure she had her balance. But her legs felt like jelly, so she dropped back into her seat. “What was that just now? An earthquake?”

“Uh, no,” Curtis said, puzzled. “I didn't feel anything.”

“I did,” she said, gripping the sides of her chair. Things didn't seem quite stable, although not as badly as before. “It was... I dunno, like someone suddenly jerked a rug from underneath my feet. Or like, it was really really cold for a second. Shocked me with that abrupt drop.” She rubbed her arm. “It's normal again, though.”

“Nothing like that happened, to us,” Nate said. “Did she feel any different?”

The bodyguard took her wrist, checking her out. “Her skin was cold. Still a little cool now, but almost normal.”

“I don't know what happened, sorry,” Rosa said, looking down and feeling embarrassed. “I'm okay, I’m pretty sure of that. But something's not right.”

-+-

Neo Plasma headquarters

When Colress had said that he could have anything he wanted, he wasn't kidding. Triste had pointed out a bluk and nomel poffin glazed lightly with icing, since that smelled most interesting (soft and sweet and tart and bready, it was also the best thing he'd ever tasted). Colress had bought a dozen of that kind when Triste had only been expecting a single poffin. It had been a while since he finished them off, but even now, the Elgyem felt happy enough that he could handle anything. Anything!

Even Ghetsis in an imposing grumpy mood, thumping along the halls with that cane of his. He had a problem with Colress, so Triste watched carefully in case Ghetsis tried throwing things again. “Why did you order them to hold off on drugging Kyurem for the night? He is still a danger for breaking out.”

“If he works up the motivation for it,” Colress said confidently, almost cheerfully. “I've timed this precisely; there's a suitable margin of error between when enough of the drug is worn off for my work to be done and when it is too much for safety. You see, I've got another method of controlling him to test out, but I don't need tranquilizers interfering with my readings or mixing with this.” He held up one of the emblems, which now had a hair from Reshiram and a hair from Zekrom securely attached to it.

“You will have the drugs ready in case this doesn't work?” he asked, not quite willing to acknowledge Colress' work. That annoyed Triste, but even his good mood wasn't enough to face off against that human.

“Of course, but I need to get in to do my work within this time period,” Colress said. “And we don't need you taking a risk by going in too.”

“Fine.” With that, Ghetsis would allow them by.

Triste had been brought into Kyurem's enclosure before, but usually when the dragon was asleep. Outside of the transparent barrier, it was difficult to feel his presence (aside from the cold; it was always cold here, sometimes misty when it was warm outside). Inside, there was a quiet presence even though Kyurem took up much of the space inside. Triste always felt deeply saddened if he looked too closely at the dragon, but there was also a feeling like having cotton stuffed in his thoughts. It seemed to be the effect of the drugs they used on Kyurem, since that feeling wasn't as strong this morning.

Most of the time, Kyurem didn't stir when Colress was in his enclosure. Today, the dragon moved his head to better look at them, then growled sleepily. “Who are you?”

“Awake today, hmm?” Colress went right up to Kyurem's head, using the scanner on him.

Triste looked up through the glass and saw that Ghetsis, one of the Shadows, and a few of the regular Plasma members were now watching. He turned back and drifted closer to Kyurem. “We're scientists,” he said.

Kyurem's nearest eye turned to him. His expression didn't change much, but he seemed further confused, speaking in a way most humans wouldn't understand. “One of you? What world are we on? I...” he shuddered, causing Colress to pause in his work. “I can't think straight, what happened?”

“Is it like your mind's full of cotton?” Triste asked. “That's normal, I believe.”

“Where's my siblings? I can almost feel them. I had something to tell them.” At this point, Colress put gloves on his hands and pushed down on Kyurem's head. Kyurem didn't resist. “It was...”

“What was it you had to tell your siblings? I saw them recently.”

“I'm being blocked off from them, that must be it. But why... why am I even talking to you? I just can't think.” He winced when Colress started attaching one emblem to the back of Kyurem's head.

“It was something you had to tell your siblings,” he said, hoping that would remind him of what they'd been talking about.

“They need to talk to the guardians of Sinnoh,” Kyurem said. “About something that was lost. I had it in mind a second ago. There was something else they want now, but I don't think that's actually lost. We did find six of them, but the most dangerous one is still hiding. I lost her...” His front paws tensed up and the icy parts of his body briefly shone. “I should not have missed that!”

“Calm down,” Colress said in a soothing tone, still at his work.

Kyurem wasn't even paying attention to him. “I let my heart get the better of me and I failed in an obvious moment of danger. Was it really worth...”

“Kyurem,” Triste said, shaken by burst of grief from the dragon. He wasn't sure what was going on, having trusted that Colress knew what was happening. Why did they even have Kyurem hidden like this? Triste just knew that he'd get in trouble if he let others know.

Then there was nothing and it chilled Triste even more. The Elgyem looked around, but there didn't seem to be any big changes. Colress was still there, as were Kyurem and the ones watching them from the outside. Yet, his psychic sense told him that something had changed and that was the sudden presence of nothing. Triste looked back to Kyurem and noticed that he was no longer tense. He also wasn't sad or confused, which was strange considering the strength of his emotions a moment ago. Wondering if something was wrong, he looked deeper into Kyurem's mind.

It was the depths of space, absent of anything. No emotions, no thoughts, no personality. Nothing. It was to the point that the nothing held immense power and potential, far deeper than that which Kyurem had before. For a moment, the nothingness obliterated Triste's own thoughts and feelings, almost his whole self.

He pulled his attention away from Kyurem, immediately going over to Colress for reassurance. “What happened to his mind?” he murmured, pulling both hands on his Trainer's shoulder.

However, Colress was focused on his work. He took the other emblem in hand once his second scanning was done. “I'm going to need better equipment to detect anything, but that's to be expected. Kyurem, stand up. It's time to see if this truly works.”

The dragon's movements were still sluggish from the drugs, but he stood up quietly. Although he was so close, there was no threat of him knocking them over. Triste noticed that the emblems had traces of power active from the hairs.

“Good so far,” Colress said. “Touch my nose with one of your front paws.”

Kyurem wasn't thinking, but he reached over and gently touched Colress on the nose with one of his nails. The nothing took shape while Colress was speaking, turning into the action. Once it was over, the shape was lost.

Colress was pleased. “You even picked up on my unspoken desire not to be frostbit. Between the sands from places of power and the hairs from your siblings, you can't resist turning to your original state, just an empty shell. And the emblem should keep you that way. Now I just need to find some way to stall Ghetsis to complete my own studies.” His voice trailed off into thoughts at the end, thoughts that echoed through Kyurem.

Realizing the truth, Triste put his head on Colress' shoulder. “His soul is gone. I... I made that possible...”

-+-

Desert Resort

Despite what happened that morning, Rosa felt fine for the rest of the day. Mostly. There was still that nagging sense in the back of her mind that something really bad had happened in the morning, but not to her. When she couldn't explain what was wrong, she felt embarrassed to admit it. Not even the Pokemon with them had noticed anything. Sure, they were concerned about her, but nothing suggested that they could tell what was going on either.

She tried to have fun with Curtis and Nate, which mostly worked. They spent most of the day in Desert Resort, at the usual Pokemon training and looking around at the old ruins. Curtis seemed to be enjoying himself, especially on being encouraged to let his Pokemon roam out of their Pokeballs for the day. Although, his Pokemon didn't seem sure about running around the desert like the rest. His Spiritomb was a cluster of strange spirits linked to a small stone, which she used to hop around in the sand and watch the rest.

And his Snorlax didn't seem inclined to move at all, having to spend half a minute rolling onto his feet if he was lying down in the sand (which he loved to do). “You can't really get a Snorlax to run willingly,” Curtis said, leaning against the huge Pokemon. “But I know I can trust him to swat away aggressive Pokemon while I'm fishing.”

“He's really soft,” Rosa said, surprising the Snorlax with a hug. He widened his eyes for a second, but then smiled sleepily and took another nap.

At lunch, they took a break back in Nimbasa to get lunch at a really fancy restaurant. The food was worth the price, although it was mostly amusing to Rosa. While they allowed them to share the tables with their Pokemon and give them small meals, the restaurant clearly expected pampered Pokemon pets, only one or two per customer. Not a motley crew of battle Pokemon who liked to have fun. Rosa had to keep Bard from playing with the fancy pepper grinder and Nate nearly missed Ruby and Medusa dueling with spoons because he was keeping an eye on Patience (who had her eye on the shiny silverware and salt shaker). But they had a fun time, especially Curtis.

Around mid-afternoon, Rosa, Curtis, and the bodyguard were near a lone tower standing out of the sand. While she was using Grim to battle a Krokorok (it was pretty easy for her to win here, except if she came across a Maractus, freaky things), she noticed a Vibrava sitting on the tower wall and watching them. Was that the one she'd been looking for all this time? Once the Kokorok decided to flee, she ran a few steps towards the Vibrava. “Lenny, is that you?”

The Vibrava twisted his head at that question, seeming to recognize the name. But when she tried to come closer, he took off, flying into the sandy wind. If that was him, he wasn't coming back like Chuchu. Maybe he felt betrayed; that made her feel bad.

“Is there someone else here?” Curtis asked, coming up from behind her.

“It's a Vibrava,” she explained. “My family released a few Pokemon back when Team Plasma was going strong, then we moved away from here so we never saw them again. I think that's one of my mom's; I've been able to find one of mine, so I hoped to find others. But Lenny doesn't seem to want to come back.”

“That's sad. But, can't really force him to come back if he doesn't want to.”

“Christoph!” a call came through the wind. But it had turned into a stronger gust, with more sand particles flying around.

“Uh-oh, did we lose him?” Curtis said, looking towards the voice. But he didn't seem all that eager to call back.

Feeling mischievous, she grabbed his hand. “Hey, let's really lose him.”

“Huh?” he asked, not sure if he should do that.

“Yeah, shhh.” She waved Grim towards the tower, then took off running towards the entrance. When they got found, they could always say they were getting out of the sand gusts.

Inside the tower, they found a respite from the gusts, but not the sand. It was everywhere: spilling down the walls from cracks overhead, covering the floor, sliding down the stairs. The stairs up were blocked off with a rope and a warning that the structure was unsafe. But if the door in wasn't blocked by a sign, they were probably okay being in here as long as they didn't go up. Grim came flying in from a doorway above while the Spiritomb hopped in after them.

“He's probably going to figure it out quickly,” Curtis said. Then he laughed. “I almost don't believe that I did that. I usually have to bribe them to be alone if I’m anywhere outside and in public.”

“Well he lost you in the first place, because of the sand,” she said. “We just made you even more lost.”

He nodded, flipping up the screen to his Xtransciever. “Yeah, but... how nice, I don't have a signal. Maybe we can stay lost a bit longer.” He ran his hand through his hair, brushing out sand particles. “Was it just luck that you ended up winning the date or did you know?”

“We knew you'd be there,” Rosa said. “I almost didn't want to do it, since I thought the subway competition was going to be harder than it was. I mean, it was still pretty hard and I don't know if I could handle it on my own. But anyhow, I knew you weren't looking forward to this, so I talked Nate into giving you a chance to be with some friends instead.”

Curtis looked relieved to hear that. “That's good. I mean, it isn't much of a break from normal, but I haven't felt all that stressed today, because it's you guys.”

“You really think they're trying to run you into the ground?”

He nodded. “As far as they're concerned, my career is just about over. They have me recording a new album, but I can't stand most of the songs on it and it seems weak overall. I haven't been able to talk them out of it and it's really been eating at me how they want to end it all on a flop. But when I complain about it, they get after me for breaking character, not being the cheerful and ditzy Christoph who shouldn't be noticing stuff like that. I'm not sure what to do at all lately.”

“Well you shouldn't let them do that to you,” Rosa said. “I've loved all your work and it's horrible to think that you might be ruined with a really bad album.”

“It'll kill any chance I have of a singing career any time in the future, that's for sure,” Curtis said. He sighed and shook his head.

Rosa looked at the doorway, but there was no sign of the bodyguard there. Besides, the Spiritomb was sitting by the doorway, watching. Maybe she would warn them. It gave her an idea. “Well, why don't you run away? They can't release the album if you don't finish it, right?”

“Maybe, but I don't know,” he said. “I'd have to get past my own security and the manager, and then what would I do if I got away?”

She put her hands on her hips. “You could come travel with us, or do whatever you want. If they really don't care, then you'll be free to live however you want. If they do come after you, you can at least insist that they take your thoughts seriously or you won't cooperate again.”

“You think they could take me seriously with that?”

“Riiiiaaa,” the Spiritomb said in a warning tone, right before they heard the bodyguard calling them again.

“Yeah,” Rosa said. “Show them you're serious.”

He didn't seem sure what to say, rubbing his eyes after a second. “I.. I'll call you another day. I think about it.” Then he went to the doorway. “We're in here! Where'd you go?”

It had to be continued another day, since the bodyguard didn't give them another chance like that for the rest of the day.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@3D992: That's what I hope too! Even though there's lots going on, most of it is connected.

The part with Triste and Kyurem, I wrote at the same time as Triste's chapter a little while ago. But it had to come later, since Colress was still working on the emblem. It may be a long while until I can have Colress explain it (if there's even an opportunity), but the sands from Desert Resort and the Underwater Ruins were used to make glass gems for the emblems (hence why he shows up near those two locations). And then the hairs from Reshiram and Zekrom make it work more effectively to control Kyurem. So Triste's not at fault, especially since he had no idea what it was about. But he did have a hand in it...

3D992

The Living Hologram
Ah, so the hymnal is basically the Rosetta Stone. Nice reference to the Kalos region, too. And poor kyurem... Let's hope he gets better. :(

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 25: Dragon of Truth

June 22
Nimbasa

It was another warm day; Nimbasa as busy as usual this morning. Nate had started training in the Big Stadium to prepare for the Gym and the qualifying PWT matches. While he wasn't expecting anything to come of it, the tournament could be a nice experience. If he timed it right, he could beat the Nimbasa Gym in plenty of time to move to Driftviel with a few weeks to spare in preparing for the tournament and the Gym there. And the tournament would surely have many people there, maybe even someone who knew something about Hilda and Kyurem. It could be worth observing even if neither of them could participate.

Close to noon, players and fans started leaving the field, in preparation of the stadium being given over to the football players to go through their daily training regiment. Nate would have left himself, but then a guy a few years older than him stopped him. He had short dark brown hair and wore a dark blue version of those Patch Hats. “Hey, you're that new Trainer the League's been talking about lately, aren't you. Nate?”

He shrugged while Patience seemed unsure if she wanted to go over to sniff this newcomer. “I don't know if they're talking about me, but I am Nate. What is it?”

“I want to see if you're as good as they say. Care to battle me?”

He seemed a little too dramatic for the situation, so Nate simply nodded. “Sure thing. Come on Patience, show your stuff.”

She barked happily and hopped into position in front of him. Even though her levels were getting better matched to the rest of the team now, the Eevee still lacked in power. But she was trying her best and Nate wanted to encourage that.

Bringing up an Ultra ball, the other guy nodded. “Right, we'll take you on then. Come Reshiram!”

A giant white dragon was released into the stadium, catching the attention of everyone who was left. With the air shimmering with heat around him, Reshiram gave a brief roar in challenge. Patience immediately lost all the spirit she'd gotten by winning several battles today, dropping her ears back and quivering.

“What do you mean by this?” Nate asked sharply, kneeling down and snapping his fingers. “Patience, come to me.” She whined and immediately came back so he could pick her up.

“You're going to give up just like that?” the guy asked, not accusingly though. Reshiram stood up straight and didn't seem all that hostile. “A serious Trainer like you?”

“Because I am serious, yes,” he said. “I don't care enough about pride to make Patience fight a battle she doesn't want to. It's not worth it to battle you two.”

“You would be her friend with an attitude like that.” He tipped his hat. “Then you are like they say. Sorry about that. I'm Hilbert. We actually wanted to talk with you.”

But they wanted to test him before they spoke. Nate wondered about that. “All right. Is it about Hilda and Kyurem?”

“Yes, exactly.” Hilbert walked over while a white glow surrounded Reshiram. He reappeared as a tall muscular man wearing a fur-trimmed white and red overcoat. The dragon's hair was long and white, highlighted and tipped in a fiery red. “They aren't going to leave the stadium open much longer, so how about we go elsewhere?”

“Sure thing.” Patience was still spooked, so Nate kept a hold of her until she calmed down. But the whole while, Reshiram's gaze was oddly harsh towards Nate even if he seemed to tolerate him.

Although he had spoken with Cheren, Hilbert wanted to know directly from him why he was looking for Hilda. Nate didn't mind telling him. Since Hilbert was accompanied by someone who knew the truth instinctively, Nate wasn't going to be ridiculed or disbelieved for telling his story straight. Hilbert then explained how they had lost contact with Hilda last summer, but didn't believe it was serious until returning to Unova.

“The part we still can't explain is why Reshiram and Zekrom can't sense Kyurem, or didn't know that he was in trouble,” Hilbert said. “We were around Hoenn for much of that time, but that distance shouldn't have mattered.”

“I wouldn't know anything about that,” Nate said. “I don't even have a lot of control over finding these visions. They just happen when the conditions are right, so I haven't seen much that could explain that.”

“That's normal for Memory Link,” Reshiram said. Then his expression turned cooler as he asked, “So why do you think Kyurem wouldn't have noticed a dangerous situation?”

At his feet by the bench they were sitting on, Patience whimpered and crouched down. Nate leaned over and scratched her head. “Well... I’m not sure if I should say something about it.”

“Why not?”

“Calm down,” Hilbert said, apparently worried about the dragon's attitude as well. “It would help if you told us Nate, at least why you don't want to tell it.”

“Well...” he recalled a conversation he'd had with Rosa, that there had been rumors that both of the young Kings had feelings for Hilda. He wasn't sure how that'd go over. Maybe it would be okay if, “I think I can tell Reshiram. But I'm reluctant to tell anyone else about it.” It caused anxiety to crawl up his spine. Reshiram probably wouldn't hurt him, but the harsh mood he was in felt like a threat.

“If that's how you feel,” Hilbert said, shrugging “You might want to head over to that fence over that that blocks off access to the bay. There'd be less people over there to overhear.”

“That'll work,” Nate said. For a moment, Patience didn't seem sure what to do. She was reluctant to stay around Reshiram, but also reluctant to stay near Hilbert. She ended up following Nate, sticking close to his feet.

“Fine,” Reshiram agreed, following him over there.

Over by the fence, Nate told him more specifically about what he'd seen back in Castelia. “I know I saw that vision specifically from the vantage point of the Shadow Triad,” he finished with. He put one hand on the fence, then pointed up at the three story building beside them. “Like, they would've been right up there, comparatively speaking. Kyurem didn't notice them. He thought he was detached enough that he only cared to see her happy, but I wonder about that. Certainly if they put her in danger, he might've done something reckless.”

For a few moments, Reshiram didn't say anything. He looked over the waters of the bay, seeming conflicted. Then he sighed. “By my own feelings... I know you're right. I know you speak the truth about what you saw. While it was from a memory, that's what happened, I feel it. And yet, I don't want to believe you. I don't want to believe that my brother could have been careless like that.”

“I don't know if careless is the right term,” Nate said.

“Right, he may have cared too much. That may explain...” he lowered his head, thinking. “I don't like that I don't know enough about what's happening. But this is a theory, from a story. One time, a long time ago, we did not trust humans. They had hurt Pokemon, Pokemon had hurt them... it was a time when wars were common. Very very long ago; I was not even myself at that time, as I was part of a more powerful being.

“Then, one of the immortal Pokemon decided to take on human form, infiltrate their society, learn from them, and figure out ways to give advantages to Pokemon. It doesn't matter which one I tell of, for there are several stories like this. The immortal was distant and detached at first, believing humans to be the enemy. But it met many good people among the humans. Like with Pokemon, there were only a few that were truly bad, only a few that wanted the wars and power. Befriending the good people, the immortal's personality grew but its power slowly declined.

“Another immortal came to visit the spy and noticed how its power had deteriorated. The friend tried to convince the spy to give up on the mission and return to Pokemon, return to normal. But the spy refused. It had grown to like human society. In time, it even fell in love with one of the humans. The immortal couldn't be with its love as it was, even with the reduction in its power. So it willingly sacrificed more of the power it had as an immortal, becoming a mortal human so fully that it almost forgot what it truly was.”

“Was that what he was hinting at to Hilda?” Nate asked.

“I would assume so,” Reshiram said. “And in the end, the human died, but its soul was still immortal. It was reborn in its true form. However, its previous life had left an irreversible mark on the immortal's soul. It never quite regained the power it had originally had. But for its experience as a mortal, it was happy and didn't care.”

“And that happened to several immortal Pokemon?”

He nodded. “Yes, I know some of them. Zekrom and I never went that far in our relationships with humans, but we too have been changed by your kind. That's why, although my power and origin are truth, there are a few times when even I don't want to believe something I know to be true. My contact with humans gave me a personality deeper than I would have if I never interacted with them. But then Kyurem never had the same level of human contact that we did. This has all been new to him and if he grew enough that he fell in love, he would have been totally blind to how it was changing him. If my theory is correct, it's our own feelings, all three of us, that have been interfering with our connection. But three days ago, something changed. It had something to do with my brother, although I still can't tell what.”

Nate thought about it. That would have been the nineteenth. “Did it have to do with some sudden change that only you noticed? Like an earthquake, or some cold shock?”

“Yes. How did you know that?” He was watching Nate again, but not as harsh as before.

“I didn't feel anything, but my friend Rosa did,” he said. “It was... a little before nine in the morning, I think. Something just hit her out of the blue and she couldn't explain it. She insisted that she was fine, but she's been unsettled ever since.”

“But why would she notice it? Not even mortal Pokemon would.”

“We think that she's Keldeo, as a human. That's what her parents have said, at least.”

Reshiram pushed himself off leaning on the fence. “Hmm, perhaps. I could tell you for certain if I met her. Where is she?”

“I'm pretty sure she's out at Desert Resort.” He flipped open his Xtransciever. “It's past noon anyhow. Let me call her and we can get lunch together.”

-+-

It was early in the afternoon and River found herself walking next to Reshriam. It wasn't something she would have expected while she was living on her own. Now? It seemed completely reasonable because of who Rosa was.

“I could force your memory back, but I don't like doing that if there's other options,” Reshiram said as they walked into Join Avenue. “You should find places that matter to you. There are some areas of the bay that should have worked. If not, you could try the waterfalls near Opelucid, near here, or even the river's source streams. But those last areas would be quite some ways out of Unova.”

“Maybe when Grim evolves and becomes really good at flying,” Rosa said. “What I really don't get is why I can't understand Pokemon like Hilbert and you can. I think I heard someone once...”

“I gave her a warning in the middle of a battle,” River said.

Reshiram gave her a nod of acknowledgment, then asked Rosa, “When did you think you heard one of us?”

“It was in the middle of a battle, one I was fighting myself with this sword.” She bit her lip. “I don't want to get into that again, not any time soon.”

“You may have a divide between the surface of your soul and the deeper parts,” Reshiram said. “You apparently chose this way to give yourself time to heal from what had been done to you. In that case, your outer personality is there to protect you. When you manage to act on a different level, like in that fight, your proper abilities will become active when needed.”

“So I need to make a connection to myself or something?” She shook her head. “I don't get it. What am I even supposed to be doing? Sometimes this makes me feel frustrated because back before my mother said anything, I wasn't confused at all about who I was. Now I'm going back and forth, about maybe this or maybe that. I hope I do remember something soon, so it's a little more concrete.”

River noticed that both of them were troubled; they did their best not to appear so, but she could see the stress cracks in their auras. In Reshiram, it was particularly strong. She wished she could help them, but wasn't sure what to do about it. Maybe help them solve something? “Do you think you might trigger her memories if you called her Keldeo?” she suggested to Reshiram.

He nodded slightly to it, then put his hand on Rosa's shoulder. “I hope you do too, Keldeo.”

Not only did it cause a reaction in Rosa's aura, but she visibly trembled. “Ah, that gives me the shivers,” she said. “But it sounds right.”

A tan blur rushed their way; Patience skidded to a stop in front of them, part of her fur wet and slick while the rest was puffed up. “River! Help me!” She ran behind the Riolu and tried to hide behind her.

“What's going on?” she asked, puzzled at the interruption.

Patience scrunched herself up small. “The-the loud woman is trying to give me a bath.”

Rosa waved over to Nate. “Hey, what's going on here?”

Nate was watching over a group of people and Pokemon in three empty slots of Join Avenue. They were caught up in lots of activity and fur. “Hey, sorry I had to leave lunch so quickly.” He pointed to the booths. “You know how I was advertising for a groomer to set up in Join Avenue? I thought I would get a chance to talk to the ones who answered it later this afternoon, but the office set them up for now. I had them work on grooming some of my Pokemon to see how they did, Hilbert's too since he was here. Patience didn't take too well to it. Come here, it'll be okay.”

“What if she drowns me?” Patience asked, not budging.

“Don't be silly,” River said. “It's just a bath, and they're going to take good care of you.”

“B-but it is a bath,” she said.

River slapped her forehead. “It's nothing to be scared of. They're just going to make sure you're clean, like when Nate washes you up. But probably better.”

“But he just brushes me, not with the water and those smelly bottles.”

“These people will take care of you safely,” Reshiram said.

Patience lowered her ears. “Maybe, but it'll be wet. I bet people don't make you take baths.”

“I like taking baths in lakes,” he said. “They're being nice to you, so give it a try.”

When the Eevee still seemed reluctant, River said, “Look, I’ll get them to give me a bath too. Will that prove to you that it's nothing to be concerned about?”

“Err, maybe?”

So that's how River ended up being given a bath by an odd man that wore a fancy blue vest with matching pants. Patience was allowed to watch from the countertop nearby, although sometimes she checked to see that the loud woman was still in the other shop booth. “Ah, you have such strength and elegance in your form,” the man said, going over River with a small brush first. “You could have the beauty of a warrior queen with the proper care.”

“You think so?” Rosa asked while River just rolled her eyes.

“Yes, your Pokemon has a lot of potential. Would you hop into the sink, dear Riolu? I'm sorry about the accommodations, but for the interview, we must make due with what is available.”

“Yeah, sure,” River said, dropping down into the sink. “It's going to be fine.”

“You don't seem too happy,” Patience said.

“It just seems silly to me,” she replied, holding still while the man sprayed warm water over her. “I can keep myself clean just fine with my short fur. But you have long fur and you don't stand on twos most of the time. I guess it does feel nice.”

“We're going to make you beautiful,” the groomer said in a sing-song voice. Extra silly. “Now with your fur and skin, hmm... this will be the ticket.” He took a plastic bottle from a suitcase he had and put some of the soap in his hands. “Hold still, if you would.”

“That was the smelly stuff,” Patience said.

“It's not that bad.” River took a deep breath of the stuff: a bit like citrus, a bit like herbs, and a bit (but not bad) of soap. It was invigorating, plus this man knew what he was doing in massaging the lather. Combined with the nice scent of the shampoo, it was pleasant. “I mean, it is silly... a fighting Pokemon like me being pampered like this... I can handle myself.... though this is really nice. You should try it.”

The Eevee tilted her head. “Um, you okay River?”

“I'm good,” she said dreamily.

“Weird.” Patience sat up, seeming like she might try to leave for a moment. But she decided to stick around while the groomer rinsed River off and dried her with a warm soft towel.

“Let's check you over for knots,” the groomer said, taking a soft brush over River's head. “But I think you're good for that.”

“You're really good at this,” River said. She wondered for a bit why she hadn't thought this was helpful. It certainly was a good thing that Rosa happened to come in here at the right time, so that she decided to do this because of Patience. They were good folks and Rosa probably would've paid for this. After all, she was nice to them like that. She should stick by Rosa and make her proud.

It felt like something was shifting inside her, but she didn't really take notice until her senses picked up surprise from several sources, with remarkable clarity for not really looking. To her surprise, she found that she had evolved into a Lucario (but still smelled faintly of the citrus and herb shampoo). She had steel spikes on her paws and chest now, along with extra sets of ears hanging from her head.

“Wow, you can evolve because of a bath?” Patience asked, her brown eyes wide.

“Wh-what?” River asked, looking at her paws again. “Oh no, that can't be real... I was supposed to evolve when I perfected my spirit... not because I took a bath.”

“I told you she could be beautiful,” the groomer said proudly, flipping one of her ears. She glared at him briefly but, well, she couldn't stay mad at him. Not when he treated her so well.

“Yeah, that's amazing,” Rosa said. “Come over here, River, I want to see you.”

“This is so embarrassing,” she said, but walked along the counter towards Rosa. “I hope you don't tell anybody about this.”

“What's got you so moody now?” Rosa asked, rubbing under her chin.

“She doesn't want a lot of people to know about this,” Reshiram said, leaning on the counter near Rosa.

“Yeah,” River mumbled.

“Oh, okay.”

The groomer twirled the brush in his hand. “Don't let a sulk bring you down, Miss Lucario,” he said. Then he looked to Patience. “So, are you ready?”

“Uh,” she glanced back at River. “I guess baths are good. Okay, I’ll be a good girl and try.” She walked over to the groomer, still cautiously watching him.

“Don't worry,” the groomer said in a reassuring tone. “I'm going to bring out the best in you, like any Pokemon under my care. Now, we'll need a more suitable brush.” He returned the soft one to its case and pulled out a large more bristly one to deal with the Eevee's long fur.

“You can groom any Pokemon?” Reshiram asked.

“Yes, I will take care of any,” the groomer said.

“What if I'm really a large dragon with scales and fur?” he asked, seemingly interested.

The groomer paused a moment, glancing at him. “I might need a reservation so we could get to a bigger location, but I would certainly try my best. We'd need good quality brushes, and probably a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for soft fur. Then some natural oils and polishing cloths to take care of the scales, and hmmm...”

“No, don’t' tempt me like that,” Reshiram said with a smile. He left the counter to go find Hilbert.

“I don't know if that would be a disrespect or a honor,” River said. “Maybe an honor if he likes it.”

“He'd look amazing, I think,” Patience said.

Unfortunately, the brushing and bathing did not trigger an evolution for Patience. River would have felt a little better if she hadn't been the only one. This really wasn't how she was expecting to become a Lucario. But, it meant that she'd be a better help to Rosa. There was also one other fortunate thing... Nate decided to hire the groomer that had taken care of them, so she might see him again.

-+-

At the end of the day, Hilbert decided to head off to meet up with N again. “He went to go speak with Hilda's mother,” he explained. “We're still waiting to hear from the police if they'll release information to us, so we've been investigating on our own.”

“We'll keep looking how we can,” Nate said, but he felt worried for a moment. The N of this world was around... “How... is N doing? I don't know if Cheren told you, but I kind of remember....”

“About Rune identifying your old friend?” Hilbert asked. “He told us a little bit. N, well... I could say that he's doing great, because he's improved from how he was under Ghetsis. But at the moment, he's worried sick about Hilda. He can hardly think of anything else and it's wearing him down. I don't think he's going to regress back, but if she doesn't show up soon, he's going to get hit hard with depression. It's the first time he's been in love with somebody. We're watching out for him and making sure that he's okay. But, well,” he looked over at where Reshiram was talking with Rosa, River, and Patience, then lowered his voice, “Reshiram and Zekrom aren't doing much better because of their brother being missing. He's been rather cheerful and silly today, but I think it's a bluff even if it is him. They're doubting their capabilities and whatever happened the other day had them feeling imbalanced for hours.”

Balance. “That's what Rosa said, but she was only unbalanced for a few minutes,” he said. “If I’ve got it right, then Reshiram and Zekrom's powers are balanced to each other, and Kyruem both lies in the middle of the balance and at the edge encompassing them.”

“That sounds right,” Hilbert said.

“Something happened with Kyurem; it must have shifted his power somehow.” He held one hand up. “Let's say I have a pair of hanging scales, balanced to match each other on my fingers. While the center is unmoving, the balance is still. But if it moves sharply,” he brought his hand down, “the scales are going to swing wildly until they adjust to the new position. That must be what happened to them. And since Rosa is one of the other immortals of Unova, she felt the shift of power but wasn't as affected.”

“This is crazy,” Hilbert said, nodding. “I have a gut feeling that Ghetsis is involved somehow. Nobody found him after he vanished with the Shadow Triad and he's literally not afraid of doing anything if it gives him power. I don't know if N is ready to face him, though. He's grown stronger, but the power Ghetsis had over him was, hmmm...”

“Like chains.”

Hilbert raised an eyebrow. “Yeah.”

Nate put his hand to his chest. “I have suspicions that I was involved with Team Plasma at one point in my past. It's in how I knew N there, and in strange things that I know. Plus, I have a journal here in this Pokeball pendant that has some suspicious documents. And now Ghetsis... the name seems so familiar, but fills me with dread. I don't want to tell Rosa about it, though. She lost Pokemon because of them.”

“Well if it's another world that you don't fully remember, it's hard to say. Maybe you could listen to one of Ghetsis' recordings. That is, if you feel like it when you're not sure about meeting N face to face.”

“I mostly didn't want to scare him or something like that,” Nate explained.

“Could you give me a copy of the documents you think belong to Plasma? I'll ask him what he thinks.”

“Sure, if I have your Xtransciever number, I can mail them to you.” Besides, trading numbers would allow them to collaborate on the search for Hilda and Kyurem.

That evening at the hotel, Nate got the documents copied and sent to Hilbert. Then he searched for a video of Ghetsis speaking. Ruby was sitting on the edge of the bed, while Signet and Patience looked out the window. Rune was perched on the head of the bed. “I’m going to do something that could make me react badly,” he said, mostly to Rune. “If Ruby can't get through to me, would you go alert Rosa?”

The Sigilyph blinked at him, then seemed to nod with its eyestalk.

“Okay, good.” he scanned through the list of videos he'd gotten. Most seemed to be making fun of Ghetsis, edited to make him ridiculous. But after checking a dozen, he got one that was unedited.

It was of a speech he made in a small city., early on when they had just become public. As he suspected, Ghetsis had a familiar voice and way of speaking. He looked a lot like what Nate remembered N as: light green hair, fair skin, tall. If he did have a connection to them, he should remember something about Ghetsis.

Like...

“It's not a matter of what N believes,” Ghetsis said. “It doesn't matter because I control him. I tell him what to believe and what to do. Yes, he has the power to rule over all aspects of this world. But I have the power to rule over him. You can't change that. So stop this ridiculous campaign of yours or I will make sure that you suffer.”

It wasn't much, but Nate had a feeling that he'd heard that in person, in the same room. He'd been watching the exchange, could recall feeling concerned for... Rood, that's who Ghetsis had been speaking to. Nate could recall him from an earlier vision. So he had some connection to Team Plasma. But what specifically? And what had happened then?

Thinking on it made his head hurt, but worse was the sudden rush of terror.

He saw N in a doorway just of out Ghetsis' vision, watching the small group of the castle staff and a few of Rood's supporters. It was something to be concerned about. But maybe it had to happen.

“Your policies are only making things worse,” Rood said. “The corruption has been spreading and he's the only one that could do anything about it anymore because of what you've pushed him into doing. You should respect him more.”

“You should respect me more!” Ghetsis demanded. “He's my tool, nothing more.”

Within seconds, N snapped, Ghetsis died, and half the world was destroyed.

“Nate!” Rosa gripped his arm tightly.

His heart was racing; he gripped her hand. “I, I'm here.”

Either she or Ruby had pulled his chair away from the computer. Patience jumped in his lap while the other Pokemon in the room looked on worried. “What happened this time?” Rosa asked. “You're so pale. And what were you doing watching him?” She glanced at the computer, where the video clip had ended.

He couldn't say that it was nothing, but he wasn't sure what all to tell her, given how she felt about Team Plasma. “His arrogance led to the destruction of my world. Now I’m not sure how I survived that.”

She ended up staying with him for the better part of an hour until he calmed down, warning his Pokemon to keep an extra careful eye on him. Although they probably would have done so anyhow.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
@3D992: a rosetta stone for music, at least.

I love a good mix of hints, seriousness, and silliness. I don't think I have much more to say on that that this chapter hasn't said already.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Ah, so Nate's world did have pokemon in it. I thought maybe it was a dystopian version of our world. Finally we will get answers about the other N! Great that Nate is finally making some headway in his search.

ANnnnd I'm back from camping and I'm now caught up on this.

...Wow I missed a lot. Nate's got more memory back, caught Rune and met up with Hilbert?

Oh, and apparantly has something to do with the unedited future that ClicheStorm1!Kyurem came from. This makes about as much sense as everything else at the moment that we've seen. Hmm. Reshiram's signiature moves both have Flare in their names, so does Solar Flare have anything to do with that?

And I still suspect that there's something else going on, but at the moment I'll keep quiet on that.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 26: Running From Fame

June 23
Castelia

For much of his childhood, he'd been called Curtis. Christoph had been his birth name, but his uncle thought it was a pretentious name and so called him Curtis instead. His mother, living with her brother, hadn't liked that much but agreed to it when he answered to it better. During that time, singing had been fun and he'd thought nothing of taking extra music lessons. Then his father had shown back up, romancing his mother again and convincing her that she and Curtis needed to live with him. Although his aunt and uncle didn't think it was a good idea, his parents had pulled him into studio program designed to create glamorous young stars.

And it worked spectacularly well with him, far better than the other children he'd known back in those day. However, his manager and his parents thought Curtis wasn't appropriate for the name of a star like him. They used Christoph instead. He got used to that and for several years felt like it was more his name than Curtis. But then...

Curtis shook his head, and looked back at the clipboard. He was letting himself get lost in thought again when he had a job to do. Looking over the inventory list, he focused on a few items and checked the shelves in front of him. The storeroom was well-organized, in part due to regular checks like this. Unlike the more public areas, it was strictly utility in nature, with concrete floors and industrial metal shelving. In the area he was checking, there was a partial bottle of hair dye that was in the wrong place, so he made a small mark to keep his place so he could put it in the right spot.

“Why are they having me do this?” he mumbled to himself, taking the hair dye. Surely they had others in the studio who used to do this regularly. But that's how it was lately. They put him to odd tasks when he wasn't doing publicity or recording work. Maybe they were trying to find some out-of-sight job for him to transfer to so that they didn't have to fire him? It might cause less fuss.

Great, now he was being pessimistic and accepting of what the studio had in mind for him. But it wasn't like there was anything he could do at the moment. He was seventeen, a few months away from having a little more freedom to do things. But even being old enough to request changes to his contract without his parents' say might be too little too late. He couldn't really...

What if he did run out on them at this time? It was a seriously tempting option. They certainly weren't listening to him.

There was a jingle from his Xtransciever and for a moment, he hoped it was something from Rosa. But, it wasn't, just a notification that a message had gone up on his official website. It was supposedly from him, but he'd not personally written anything for it in over a month. 'The new recordings are going smoothly; this is going to be a great album!'

Frowning, he thought over this afternoon's session. The technician had arrived late because he'd been working with another artist longer than planned, he'd spent much of that time arguing with his manager about a song that he thought was too bland, and then he couldn't convince them to rerecord another song that he wasn't satisfied with. He already hated this album.

This was not right; he couldn't stand this any more. Sure, his fans could get over-zealous at times, but Curtis hated the thought of the disappointment they'd have with what was going to happen. But he hated himself more for going along with this quietly. He should be able to do something. If he wasn't sure what, then maybe time away from this place would help.

He looked at the hair dye in his hands. It seemed to be some kind of dark purple. Maybe this could help; the change in hair color might be enough to fool people, but he had ways to prove his identity to those that mattered. However, the instructions on this bottle were blocked out by dark smudges and part of its label was torn off. He went to where the hair dyes were kept and looked over the other bottles. Eventually, he found a full bottle that looked similar enough. It wanted him to brush the dye into his hair, leave it for half an hour, wash it out with plain water, then dry the hair gently. That sounded easy enough.

But, there were some things he wanted to take care of before he left. It wouldn't be easy, though, since he'd have to take care of them in the city and the studio didn't want him to go about without a bodyguard. If he snuck out to take care of things, how long would it take them to notice?

Curtis went ahead and finished up the storeroom inventory, hiding the bottle of hair dye in his pants pocket. On his way to the main office, he spotted his voice coach speaking with three preteen girls. “Sure, we can hold an extra lesson for you girls this evening,” she said.

“Oh, thank goodness,” the curly-haired girl said. “It's the first big video for us and I didn't know if we could get it right.”

“They'll re-take it a number of times, so you don't have to get it perfect the first go,” the coach said. “Go check with your manager to make sure there's nothing else you need to do.”

“Okay!” The three of them ran off laughing, past him without even noticing. The voice coach went down the hall in the other direction.

He was supposed to have one of his voice lessons tonight, although their sessions had gotten laid back lately. Almost lazy. Curtis shrugged and went to file the inventory papers. The voice coach didn't even come to find him to give him word of the canceled session, only sending a text without a single reference to the girl group. At least he didn't have to come up with an excuse to get out of it. Now he could leave early.

Without thinking, Curtis started to head towards his manager's office. But on hearing him talking on the phone, Curtis decided that he didn't need to. He could have asked to cancel the recording session tomorrow morning to give himself longer to get away, but that might raise suspicion. Plus it'd be easier to get out of here without a bodyguard if he left without his manager knowing. But that gave him another idea. Maybe a bad one... but he didn't care. It would be better to do it than not.

He went up to the floor that had the editing equipment, trying to avoid notice or talk with the others in the studio. All the recordings were kept in digital format until the first stage of editing was done, in three copies. While they may not have noticed, he had paid attention to how such things were done. More importantly, he knew where all three copies would be stored and how to erase them. If they weren't going to listen to his doubts, he wasn't going to let them release any of this garbage.

Curtis was able to get all copies of his recent recordings erased before any of the music editing technicians noticed him there. The one that did find him poked her head in the door. “What are you doing in here, Christoph?”

“I was just listening to one of the raw recordings, to see how it could be improved,” he said, his body tensing as he hoped that she bought that story. “I’m done now, sorry if it's a problem.”

“Nah, you're fine,” she said. “Do you need any help?”

“No, I got it,” he said, getting up.

She let him get away with that, thankfully. Curtis then went back to the elevator and asked for it to take him to the lobby. Above the keypad, there was a card slot that kept businesses like the studio from being visited without notice. He didn't have to use it to get to the lobby. But if the studio security noticed him, they could refuse to let him out without a guard. It was only a few seconds, but that fear didn't leave him until the doors opened up and let him go. Moving quickly, he left the building, only taking a few seconds to put on a hat to hopefully deter notice a little.

Out on the streets of Castelia, Curtis joined the flow of pedestrians to get to the bank. It wasn't as busy as it would be just an hour earlier, but there were a good amount of people that he could blend into. Without a bodyguard hanging over his shoulder, he already felt freer than he had been in a long time. He entered the bank feeling confident that this was going to work.

There weren't many people here and it would be closing in a short time. Hopefully they would make time for what he wanted. It didn't take long for him to get a meeting with a clerk in one of the separate offices. She was middle-aged and had a kind tone in her voice as she asked, “How may I help you tonight?”

“I want to make some changes to my account,” he said, passing over his bank and ID cards, so that she could check on him. “And I know I’m not eighteen yet, but it's very important that I do this.”

“You should have your guardian's permission to make alterations,” she started to say, but then looked at his cards. “Oh, wait... you really are Christoph.”

If that's what it would take... he smiled warmly. “Yeah. I hope it's not trouble that I came in so late, but I didn't have time earlier.” Or the idea to do this.

“It's just a surprise, really,” she said, but she seemed to be thinking of something. “What did you have in mind?”

“I want to change the security on my accounts,” he told her. “Most of all, I want to take away access from my parents and my studio manager. If things are as I hope, it won't cause a problem. But I have suspicions that someone is using their information to get access they don't deserve.”

“Hmm... how much longer do you have until your eighteenth birthday?”

“A month and a half, about.”

She put her hand to her cheek. “I see. Well we can run a fraud check, although we would have warned you of any red flags that have come up. But I don't see any problems with changing that access a few weeks early. Oh, but... I really shouldn’t ask, but could I get a favor from you? I've got a CD of yours as a present to my daughter; would you mind putting an autograph on it? It'd really delight her.”

“Sure, that'd be a wonderful surprise,” he said. It wasn't much to him at this point, just taking the cover from inside the CD case and signing his artificial name on it, along with a small birthday note to sweeten the deal. But getting this issue with the bank settled might be worth as much to him as this little scribble would be worth to the girl who'd be getting this in a few days.

The clerk then checked over his account and started changing over settings for him. She turned the screen so that he could see what was going on. “You might be right about your suspicions, although I hope it's not your parents doing this. There has been a request to transfer a sum of ten thousand Poke to your manager's account. It hasn't been approved, so we can easily decline it. And here, a set amount has always been transferred to your parents' accounts every month and it has been requested to nearly triple not too long ago. What should be done about that?”

“Just end that arrangement,” Curtis said. “They have their own incomes and it shouldn't cause much of a problem to cut it off.” Although their incomes were what they could squeeze out of part-time temporary jobs and government assistance. They had been relying mostly on his income for seven years and it was about time that stopped.

“Sure enough,” the clerk said, not worried as she did as he asked. “Then we have some automatic payments set up, and this which is an offer on a house in Undella. It doesn't mark that as suspicious, though.”

It was what he thought they were up to. He checked what the payments were for. “Yeah, they must have been at this a while. None of these are mine. And drop the offer on the house, I don't want it any more. Some other options have come up.”

She nodded. “With as much money is being exchanged, I can request a police investigation into this. Looks like you took quite a hit, but it might still be recoverable if they get involved.”

They could ask the police just on this? Thank the gods, Curtis thought to himself. “Sure, we should do that. I thought I could handle things myself just by doing this, but it would make me feel a lot better with them looking into it too.”

“Right. It's awful that they'd target a teenager for this, even with the kind of income you have.” She turned around the screen to start that.

He looked at his Xtransciever, wondering how much help he could get. “I have some papers at home that started making me suspicious. Would it help if I gave them over to the bank here to give to the police investigators?”

“They'd probably want to talk with you, so you can give the papers over then.”

Curtis shook his head. “I'd love to, but I’m kept really busy these days. It'd probably get to them faster if I left them here.”

“Hmm, I see. Let me get an envelope for you, then. We'll make a note that it's only to be opened by the investigator.”

At moments, he wondered if it was right for him to be doing this. But then again, it was definitely wrong in how his parents were buying things with his money without telling him. This would surely wake them up to the fact that he wasn't an ignorant child.

He got home from the bank without incident. Neither of his parents were home. Where were they? He didn't remember seeing them this morning either, although he had been in a hurry to get to an early meeting. Curtis released his Spiritomb in the living room, then called his mother's number. Used to be called out in the home occasionally, Spectra went for her usual entertainment of rearranging pictures on the wall.

He only got her default away message, though. “Hey mom, where are you guys?” he asked the recording. “I'm home a little early today and don't have any plans for the evening. Talk to you later.” He shut the Xtransciever and looked around at the quiet apartment. “Well this gives me some room to work with, but I hope they don't come back without warning.”

“Hmm hmm?” Spectra asked, turning her eyes to him. She was holding a picture of his parents at their (rather late) wedding.

“We're getting out of here,” he told her. “I've been nice all this time, hoping they'd change if I was reasonable. Since they aren't changing, it seems I have to change to get this mess to stop.”

“Heee,” she replied, then broke into malicious sounding giggles. But that just made Curtis laugh. Spectra hadn't done that in a long while, not since she was a more troublesome Pokemon who was still learning how to get along with humans.

“Exactly,” he said, tapping part of her smokey body. “I need to decide what to take, and how not to look too conspicuous. I don't want them finding me right away.”

Feeling hungry, he went into the kitchen to get supper. He normally ate pre-made meals that were made for dieters, to keep his appearance standard. But since he was planning on running, why worry about keeping that up? He got some frozen burritos that his dad kept in the freezer and had those to eat instead. It was on the salty side, but Curtis didn't care.

He checked several sites while eating, including his official fansite. As notified earlier, they had that statement from the studio publicist posting as him. He felt bad as he read replies of people who were eager for it to come out, asking for song previews and hints. More interestingly, he found a clip there of him singing that old anthem in Join Avenue. It seemed someone had noticed him there and was going to take a short video as proof, but then kept recording as he got up to sing. There were some posts confused about what he was singing, but there were also those that liked it.

And in there, there seemed to be a post that could have been Rosa. It had the right kind of name, MarillRose, and she was explaining that it was a really old song of Unova. Curtis smiled at the thought and considered calling her to ask about it. But it might be more fun to surprise her by showing up unexpected. The trouble might be finding her, unless...

He made a quick check of the Subway Battle Group and confirmed that the second round to pick their PWT representative was going to be tomorrow afternoon. He could find them there. If not, he could call her and she should be in that area. It made him think of something else, so he checked for information about that before cleaning up after his supper.

He spent the rest of the evening packing and making a list of things he'd want to pick up to travel around like Rosa and Nate. To his disappointment, he didn't hear back from his mother until after he'd come out of the shower from the dying process, past nine o'clock. It was just a text. 'Gonna be in Undella for a couple more days. Got a big surprise for you! Invite some of your friends over for a party if you want, just don't wreck the apartment. See ya!'

“The house I didn't let you buy?” Curtis said. But it didn't matter. He went back to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. With the dye in, his hair looked much darker, kind of an ugly purple. Maybe it would look better in the morning.

-+-

June 24

No... it looked worse in the morning. His hair was now a dull murky brown-purple. Had he used too much of it? His eyebrows were still light colored too, which he could cover up with a hat or something. At least it made him look different. Curtis grabbed the bag he'd packed as well as a cap and went downstairs for some breakfast.

It was still early, but no one had tried to contact him. If anyone would, it would be the studio in a few hours. To evade them, it would be best to leave behind his new Xtransciever with his new number. He still had the old one with all the numbers recorded on it, but the crowd he was escaping had switched to his new number. But before he left entirely, there was something he wanted to do.

For that, he got logged into his website. That false message from him was still there. It was time to correct that. He could also make it an announcement that would show up on the front page. And since they had updated yesterday, they hopefully wouldn't look until too late. Curtis thought for a moment, then started writing.

'6-24: Okay, I take that back. This album would turn out to be awful. I don't like any of the songs and I don't want to finish it. In fact, I won't. I'll make sure that something so carelessly worked on won't be released. I'm leaving; I'll be back when I can follow my own passion. I apologize to all of you out there who may have been waiting for the new album, but it's better this way. I have no reason to apologize to the studio. Goodbye-Posted by Christoph'

That would do. “Spectra, we're getting out of here!”

Part of her spirit flames appeared through the wall as she hopped her small stone self into the kitchen. Curtis picked her up then left the apartment. Letting the Spiritomb ride around in his bike basket, he headed back to the bank to drop off the papers, then rode north and out of Castelia. It didn't matter that the air was sandy here. The sun was shining and the people around him were keeping to their own business. His life was his own now and it was glorious.

By the time he was in Castelia, the Pokemon World Tournament qualifier was already taking place in front of Gear Station. A roped off section kept a path for those who wanted to get in and out of the station, but most people were out watching two sets of battles. The one closest to him seemed to be one of Elesa's Gym Trainers battling a big guy wearing a black vest and worn blue jeans. Getting off his bike, he walked it over to the other battle to find Nate battling another one of the Gym Trainers, his Pignite against a Galvantula. And if he was there, Rosa would likely be nearby.

He took his old Xtransciever and sent a text message to her. 'I'm here in Nimbasa – Curtis'. Then he continued around the crowd looking. Eventually, he spotted a Jellicent acting as a cheerleader to the battle, and from there he saw Rosa typing on her Xtransciever. 'Where?'

“Over here, Rosa,” he called out. The crowd was noisy, but she should be able to hear that.

She looked over, then grinned and came over to him. “Hey Curtis! Oh, what happened to your hair?”

He rubbed his head. “I tried to dye it, so I wouldn't be as noticeable. It works, even if it looks bad. I, well, I decided to run away, like you suggested. Just this morning.”

“That'll show 'em,” she said. “What're you going to do now?”

Curtis shrugged. “I'm not sure. If you don't mind, I'd like to stick with you two until I can figure something else out.”

“Sure, it should be fine. I'm just watching Nate's Pokemon winning their battles. As far as I know, they need to win this battle and one more, and he's going to be in the PWT opening tournament!”

“That'll be great,” he said. “How's he doing?”

“Pretty well,” she said, looking back to the battle area. “She has two... oh wait, the Galvantula's not out anymore. Maybe one more Pokemon?”

Ruby was dashing across the battlefield, flames flickering off her body as she collided with the Emolga. The flying squirrel got knocked to the ground, knocked out of the fight. From the cheers of the crowd, it seemed that Nate had won. Emmet stepped forward, tipping his hat. “And the winner of this match is Nate. It's not over yet, though. Once the other match is done, you will face the winner there. Then we will know who will appear in the big tournament. Good luck.”

“I'll be waiting,” Nate said, going over to where they had a healing machine set up.

“We might have to get lucky to go over and talk to him now,” Rosa said. “He's gotten pretty popular today. But we can try.” She took his hand, probably not to lose him in the crowd, and headed over to Nate.

Not that Curtis minded; a smile came to his face. The crowd thought he was just some ordinary guy, save for a couple of friends that he could really trust to be friends. If he told them he was Christoph, he might be able to get the crowd to do what he wanted. But he had left that fame behind, along with those who had betrayed his trust and ignored his feelings. Now Nate was the one surrounded by a few starstruck girls and Curtis was holding onto the hand of the one he cared most about... it made him feel giddy. But it had to be the sense of freedom he felt, he told himself.

Nate looked like he wasn't sure what to do about the girls near him. His posture was defensive as they tried to get him to talk with them. “I never thought there was such a cool Trainer around here,” one said. “Where do you train?”

“Er, wherever I happen to be,” Nate said. “I just think through what I want to do.”

“Naaate, I know you're more confident than that,” Rosa called teasingly.

“Sorry Rosa,” he said, relaxing as they managed to get to him. “And... Curtis, is that you? What happened to your hair?”

“I tried to change up my style by myself,” he said, still smiling and not even embarrassed about the ugly color now. “I think I’ll stick with hair salons from now on.”

That made him chuckle. “I guess the important thing is that you tried. So are you coming with us now?”

Curtis raised his eyebrows. “Yeah, how'd you guess?”

“You're here and you dyed your hair,” Nate replied. “That tells me all I need to know.”

“Who are they?” one of the girls asked, trying to sneak closer to Nate.

“People I know the names of,” he said. “My friends.”

Rosa laughed and mockingly made like she would punch him. “Aw come on, be nice for your admirers.”

“Sorry, I, well,” he rubbed his head.

Thankfully for Nate, cheers from the other half of the crowd interrupted them as the other battle ended. Ingo called over all of them, “And the winner of this match is Charles! That means we're just one match away from knowing who will be appearing on our behalf in the Pokemon World Tournament's opening round! Let's have a brilliant show!”

“Charles, huh?” Curtis said. “He's got quite a reputation.”

“Is he big in the League?”

“Not really,” he said, thinking. “He's... well, you'll see.”

Right then, Charles himself came over to the healing machine to take care of his Pokemon. “So which one of you kids is my next opponent?” he asked, speaking with a deep and smooth voice.

“That'd be me,” Nate said, shifting his visor. With his loose shorts and t-shirt, he seemed much smaller than Charles. But then, the local legend of a biker made just about anyone seem smaller with his presence. Still, Nate seemed more sure of himself addressing a future opponent rather than dealing with girls who had a crush on him. Curtis considered for a moment if he could spend some time teaching Nate to be a bit more charming. It'd be amusing, considering how Nate seemed smart about so much else.

Charles nodded with a thoughtful look in his eyes. “Ah. You seem scrawny. But like they say, don't judge the battle by the look of the Trainer. You'd better be up for a good show. Don't want to disappoint the girls now, would you?”

“Uh, guess not,” Nate said, making Rosa and Curtis laugh.

Emmet and Ingo showed up to clear the crowd and set up the battle between Nate and Charles. Curtis pulled back with Rosa. “Oh, I remembered about that story of Keldeo. It took place not that far from here; we could go there later today.”

“Really?” she asked, turning to him in interest. “What was it?” But before he could give any answer, she changed her mind. “Wait, actually, tell me when we get there. Since we were last together, I got to talk to Reshiram and he says that I am Keldeo. Can't argue with him, but I still don't remember it myself.” For a moment, she looked upset. “Sometimes I'm not sure if I want to remember. It's mostly a feeling I have, but there's also...”

“What is it?” Curtis asked when she stopped speaking all of a sudden. Before she replied, he felt a tug at his shirt. He looked down and saw Rosa's Dewott looking up at him in disapproval. “What?”

That broke her out of her odd mood. “Bard, don't be mean to him,” she said, beckoning him to her other side. He did so, but continued to shoot Curtis dirty looks. Nearby, there was some Pokemon snickering; Curtis saw Grim with his wing over his beck and Spectra with a mischievous plotting grin.

“I didn't mean to make you jealous,” Curtis told the Dewott, although he wasn't sure how effective that was.

“Cristoph, is that you?” a quiet yet familiar voice managed to pierce through the crowd.

He nearly jumped, a moment of panic making his heart skip a beat. But then he saw Emmet sneak up beside them. “Geez, do you have to scare people like that?” Curtis asked. “Guess I didn't do enough to hide my identity.”

“It was your voice, not your looks,” Emmet said.

“Hey, could you, well, pretend you didn't see him here?” Rosa asked, trying to be heard by the other two but not the crowd.

The Subway boss raised an eyebrow. “Is that what you want?”

Curtis nodded. “Yeah. I'm not supposed to be here today, but... well you were the one who said things seemed toxic at the studio.”

“I was being a little dramatic,” Emmet said, shrugging.

“I'm being serious,” he replied.

“Hmm.” He tipped his hat. “Then I haven't seen you, stranger. Best of luck to you.” Emmet slipped away again.

Feeling relieved, Curtis touched his throat. “My voice, huh? I could shift it, but... it could be hard to maintain.”

“But being able to live your life freely is worth it, huh?” Rosa asked, smiling again.

“Definitely,” he said.

At that point, Ingo whistled, calling the crowd to attention.”All right everybody, are we ready to see who is the star of today's tournament?”

“It'll be Nate!” Rosa called out, raising her hand in the air while the rest of the crowd there cheered and called out support for one or the other.

“You sure?” Curtis asked softly, leaning closer to her. “Charles is pretty good.”

At the center of the crowd, Ingo was quieting everyone while the two competitors observed each other. “I'll always cheer for him,” Rosa whispered back. “Because I think he can be one of the great ones.”

“Over on this side,” Ingo said, giving a dramatic sweep of his arm to his left, “we have a local legend, a man admired and envied for his accomplishments, Charles the Heartbreaker!”

“That's a little grandiose, but you have the name right,” Charles said, nodding in approval.

Then Ingo did the same to his right. “And challenging him is a relative newcomer, yet a quickly rising star in the Pokemon scene, the boy known only as Nate!”

“Are you making fun of me?” Nate asked in a deadpan voice, causing many to break into laughter.

“Emmet, you should know better than that,” Ingo commented.

“Don't break my rhythm,” Emmet said in a huff, although he probably did it more to entertain the crowd than really argue. “But enough with joking around, we're here to find a Pokemon team worthy of being global stars! Are the competitors ready? State your teams.”

“I'm ready,” Nate said, nodding. “I have four.”

“Ready to show you true friendship,” Charles said. “I have my faithful three at my side.”

“Great, then let the battle begin!” Emmet said, stepping back out of the way.

Nate brought out Patience, who seemed excited until she meet the harsh gaze of the Krokorok that Charles released. She quivered a bit, but then stamped a paw down and seemed determined to fight regardless. Even so, she didn't make much headway against the Krokorok aside from blinding him well with a couple of Sand Attacks. Nate switched her out for Ruby, which seemed like a gutsy move to Curtis. He still made it work, although he quickly pulled her out in exchange for a Sigilyph when Charles countered with a Basculin. Charles' Pokemon were tenacious, but so were Nate's and in the end, he didn't lose a Pokemon in the match.

At the end of it, Charles still smiled proudly. “Looks like I was preaching to the choir about friendship. Give it your best in August.”

“Thank you sir,” Nate said, going over to shake his hand.

“Don't need the sir,” he said, taking the handshake. “I'll be heading back to the road. Later.” Charles then headed off to heal his Pokemon back up before making a noisy exit on his motorcycle.

“This means that the winner of today's tournament and our representative to the PWT is Nate!” Emmet called, coming back in to the center of the cheering crowd. “Wonderful job! How do you feel?”

“I'm having a hard time believing it myself,” Nate said, then smiled at Signet who was still out. “But my Pokemon have been wonderful. We'll get as far as we can and keep improving.”

The Golett at Nate's side put a hand to his forehead as a salute.

“This is great,” Rosa said in excited glee. “We'll have to treat his Pokemon to a special lunch.”

“Sounds fun,” Curtis said, again heading over to Nate with her. “Hey Nate, that was amazing!”

“Thanks,” he said, then gave them a curious look. “You two are still holding hands?”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Rosa asked, letting Curtis go. “It's crowded here.”

He found himself blushing. Then again, so was she. Maybe it was something more than just that.

3D992

The Living Hologram
Only recently have I grasped that you were edging Curtis and Rosa together. Alright, I can ship that. ;) Of course, I'm still busy shipping missing Hilda and brainwashed Kyurem!

Ej190

New chapter. Yesssss! Good for Curtis for standing up for himself. So is Rosa stuck in that alternate universe mentioned in clichestorm?

^^^ I think you mean Hilda, because Rosa's definately not stuck there.

And we get a third party member. What's the chances that his recording studio decides that they don't want him running around on his own?

Oh, and more shiptease. Again.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Chapter 27: Charm School Boot Camp

June 24
Nimbasa

In the afternoon, Curtis led Rosa and Nate along the street that went east from Nimbasa. There were buildings to the south, but a lush wooded area past a tall chainlink fence to the north. Such a curious divide between nature and technology, Rosa thought. It seemed to have gotten more drastic since she had moved, or maybe she was just now noticing it.

“The bridge that way leads to Black City,” Curtis said, mostly to Nate. “But what we want is through the trees here. There's the opening.”

“Is this all right?” he asked as they turned to the grassy field. “That fence seems like they want to discourage trespassing.”

“It's fine,” Rosa said. “The White Forest Regional Park starts not too far from here, maybe even within sight. They wanted to set up a buffer zone between the cities and the forest, but there was so little land available that they added the fence to keep Pokemon off the road when there's bikers around.”

“Makes sense.”

After passing through a thickly wooded path, they came upon a sudden rise in the ground to their right, which soon led them to walking alongside a twelve foot cliff. Rosa started hearing the sounds of a waterfall, which got her interest immediately. Something about this did seem familiar, like she'd traveled the path in a dream before. The feeling increased as they stepped out into a large meadow where a small waterfall and stream greeted them. A simple footbridge crossed over the quickly flowing water. Across the bridge, there was an old stump from what must have a large tree. The scene seemed right, save for the missing tree.

Curtis went to the bridge. “This is the spot. We were making one of my music videos here when I heard the story about Keldeo. There was a girl, about our age, who was being courted by a young nobleman, the heir to a lot of lands around here. But she was the daughter of a baker and there were those who believed she didn't deserve the nobleman's love. One of her rivals even set out to kill her, hiring some ruffians to take care of the job. The girl ran out here looking for a place to hide, but they were able to catch up.

“That's when Keldeo appeared. He struck down the fastest of the ruffians in her defense. When the others arrived and they were outnumbered, Keldeo split the waterfall in two and made a cavern appear underneath it. The girl ran in on his orders, then Keldeo leaped to the top of the cliff and made the waterfall one again. The ruffians tried to chase the girl into the cave, but the entrance had disappeared. The next morning, Keldeo brought the girl out and escorted her back to the house of her love. He thought she was dead, but their return brought the ruffians and the rival to justice. The older folks around here believe that there is still a cave behind this waterfall, even though you can't find the way inside.”

“You think you can open it up?” Nate asked, looking at her.

Rosa observed the waterfall. It was about three feet wide and didn't throw up too much mist, so it wasn't hard to see the solid earth behind it. And yet, she could imagine the scene so readily in her mind. The moonlit forest, threats being called through the trees, the defeated brute calling out their location, the tired sobbing from the girl. “I think so,” Rosa said, taking out the sword and bringing it to normal size.

It couldn't be just an ordinary slice to do something like split a waterfall and the earth behind it. It had to be some special move. But what? Last time she had fought with this, she had not been thinking about it, just feeling what to do. Being here in this place wasn't quite enough. But what if they were in trouble? What if someone were threatening Curtis and Nate and she wanted to do something to hide them until it was safe?

Yeah, she would do whatever she could to help them. Rosa brought her sword to her left hip, then quickly slashed it upwards at the waterfall. “Keee-yaaaah!”

Not letting a iron gate stand in his way, he jumped over the wall and across some pipes as he tracked her aura. Although there were a number of half-built human structures here, there seemed to be a few grassy areas where Pokemon could be. But if there were any locals, they were keeping hidden. He felt that would be sensible for them. There was someone working here who was had captured Meloetta and was now hurting her. He knew that much, but nothing else. Didn't matter, though. He'd free her and then they could figure out what to do about the villain behind this.

He spotted her quickly, sitting in a cage of iron bars with a steel plate underneath. It'd be tough, but he was confident that he could cut through those bars. “Meloetta! I've come to rescue you!”

She tensed at his voice. “Wait, stay back! It's not safe.”

“Doesn't scare me,” he replied, jumping down to the ground and racing over to her. But the moment he made contact with the steel plate, electricity shot up through his body. Grimacing in pain, he pushed himself to keep going, to cut the bars and at least free her. But he didn't make it before the electricity overcame him.

The next time he was awake, he was inside of a building that muffled his sense of what was outside of it. A human man was poking a needle inside his shoulder “It'd be nice if I had a third subject, but two should be sufficient,” he said.

“Rosa?”

“Huh, oh sorry, I guess I was out of it for a moment.” She tried to laugh it off, but she felt something like a needle poking into her shoulder. She rubbed it, soon finding that it was nothing but a phantom pain.

“What?” Curtis asked, puzzled.

Had it been him or Nate? She glanced down and saw that Bard seemed worried about her. Had she heard him?

“Did you remember something?” Nate asked.

Before she could answer, a movement from the waterfall distracted her. It wasn't the same. She had managed to split the waterfall, causing it to pour in two separate falls only a few inches apart. Between and behind them, there was now a small entrance. A small green Pokemon, like a bulb crawling with the use of leaves, was scurrying out of the cave.

And speaking with great rapidity that she could understand. “Eek, you saved me!” the Petlil said. “I, I was up top sunning and I fell in a hole and it was dark and so so scary and I thought I’d never ever never ever get out of there but then the wall ripped open and now I’m free and it's all thanks to you, oh my gosh, who are you, you don't seem like the other humans, you're powerful I think, and pretty, and oh wow, thanks for saving me, and...”

“Aaa!” Rosa screamed and clung to the nearest person in fright. It happened to be Curtis, who was almost as startled as she was

“Pet lii?” the Petlil asked, bewildered and no longer speaking in a way she could understand. The waterfall crashed back together and the entrance to the cave vanished.

“R-Rosa,” Curtis gasped.

“O-oh, s-sorry,” she said, loosening her grip on him.

The Petlil babbled again, leading Bard to start conversing with her. Curtis took a deep breath, but then put one arm around her. “It's okay,” he said. “I didn't expect you to be that strong. Did you remember something scary?”

“Sort of, b-but the Petlil.... surprised me...” she looked down at the bulb Pokemon. The Petlil looked back with wide eyes, then took a few steps closer. Rosa tried to step back, but she didn't want to get too far from Curtis. Then, for some reason, the Petlil bent forward enough to faceplant into the ground.

“Uh, looks like it likes you,” Curtis said.

“You really should get back to working on overcoming that Grass phobia of yours,” Nate said, going over to crouch by the Petlil. She was still face-first on the ground and mumbling.

Rosa let go of Curtis, but she felt like her body was resisting going any closer to the Petlil. “Well most everybody is scared of something,” she tried to argue.

“What'll happen when you have to meet up with Verizion?” Nate pointed out. “I'm sure you will at some point.”

“I guess so,” she said, trying to remember if she had problems with Verizion before. But although that memory had been clear for a moment, nothing else was coming up. Or had she even been afraid of Grass Pokemon before?

“You could trust Verizion, I believe,” Curtis said. “People say that she's seen in Pinwheel Forest to the south on occasion. It shouldn't be too far to get over there, although we might have to go back through Castelia.” He seemed reluctant to do the last part. “Or take the subway.”

Rosa rubbed her forehead. “We could, but... I don't know if I want to meet her if it's going to make me tense.” She could try keeping a Grass Pokemon around again, like she had started to with Angel. And to think, she might have been able to continue understanding Pokemon if she hadn't freaked out at this Petlil.

“I could keep this one around, if it wants to come with us,” Nate said as the Petlil rolled back onto her leafy feet. He rubbed his chin. “I was just thinking earlier, if I had had a Grass Pokemon, it would've been much easier to battle Charles. I...” he scratched his head. “My team lacks a good Water counter now that Argent is gone. Ground too and I think I can cover the Grass weaknesses decently...”

“Bo?” the Petlil asked, looking up at him. Then she looked back at Rosa and came a little bit closer. Rosa clenched her fist and tried not to tense up, causing the Petlil to give her a quizzical look and Bard to try explaining, again.

“I am traveling with her too,” Nate said.

The Petlil looked up at her a little longer, then turned and went over to circle around Nate, asking unintelligible questions of him. At least, unintelligible to them. It made Curtis laugh, so Rosa tried to smile.

“Well we found another proof that Rosa is Keldeo, and a new Pokemon to join us,” Nate said, trying to pet the Petlil. She was scurrying around him too fast, though. “It's been a good day so far.”

“What, just that?” Rosa said, teasing him. Joking around should make her feel more cheerful. It usually did.

“Now I need a name for you,” Nate said, trying to keep his eye on the Petlil.

“Call her Chatty Cathy,” Rosa said. “Because she is.”

He gave an amused smile. “Seems like it. Cathy it is then.” He fished out a new Pokeball to capture her, although there was no reason to worry. Cathy was delighted to come with them. Because of her? It felt strange to Rosa. Maybe that might help.

“Want to try opening that cave again?” Curtis asked. “We never got to see inside.”

“I guess I could,” Rosa said, looking back at her sword. “What else are we doing today?”

He shrugged. “Doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't mind having a lazy day.”

“I want to train with Cathy and the rest,” Nate said. “I'd like to try taking on Elesa soon, maybe even this evening. When we fought the Gym Trainer this morning, we did pretty well. What about you?”

Rosa felt her face get warm with embarrassment; she shook her head. “Ah, well we're definitely not ready. River's the only one who'd be any good, maybe Chuchu if she's lucky. But you go ahead.” Actually, she hadn't thought much of it. Elesa's Electric team had too much of an advantage over her team. While she could go after some non-Water Pokemon other than River, she couldn't think of any that'd be good against Electrics that appealed to her.

“There is a way...” Nate started to say, then quieted in thought.

“Oh, but are you really going to challenge Elesa like that?” Rosa asked.

“What do you mean?” He gave her a blank look.

Curtis put his hand to his chin, getting it right off. “Yeah, it's not in the rules or anything, but you don't want to make a bad impression at a Gym battle.”

“As long as you show good sportsmanship, I don't think it's hard to make a good impression,” Nate said.

“No, you're still off,” Rosa said. “I mean about your clothes! Every Gym has it's own kind of theme that the Leader likes, remember? Like Roxie had the music club and Cheren was at the school. Well Elesa's Gym was turned into a fashion show's catwalk over a year ago.”

“Seriously?” Nate said, not believing it.

“Seriously.”

Curtis nodded. “Yeah, and while she doesn't give people who come in dressed regularly a hard time, Elesa does show a preference for those who take the effort to look good.”

“I don't really care about my clothes, as long as they fit and are clean.” Nate stood back up, scratching his head. “Although special occasions and formalities would call for more fitting attire.”

“Well this should be special enough,” Rosa said. “So how about we get you an outfit that'll be worth taking to a fashion show?”

“Ah, well,” now he was the one who was embarrassed. Rosa felt a little bad for a moment, but it would help him.

“I'll help you out,” Curtis said. “I'm pretty sure we don't have to go too far out of your comfort zone to come up with something. You might want to get your hair trimmed up to, though,” he fingered his dull purple hair, “we'll go to a salon if you want that rather than trying to do it ourselves.”

Nate looked to the both of them, then smiled sheepishly. “Well if I have your help, I don't think it'd be a problem.”

-+-

After a couple of hours battling around the wooded meadow, Nate could tell that Cathy was a good catch. Like Patience, she started a little behind the rest of the team in levels; with her typing, she had a lot of weaknesses. But the Petlil was still quite capable, being able to heal herself, stun a foe, or hit with high accuracy. All of her moves were Grass type, but for now it worked out. She wouldn't be too bad in the Gym, depending on what Pokemon Elesa was using. Since his team was enough to win out over local competition for the PWT opening, he felt confident with going into the Nimbasa Gym soon.

That meant that a fair part of the day he spent with Curtis in town, deciding on how he should look. As might be expected, the music star knew a lot about fashion. “I spoke a lot with the wardrobe people over the years and picked up a lot of things from them,” he said while they were looking over shirts. “You should start with the image you want to project and work from there. With me, they wanted me cheerful, wholesome, and idealistic, so I got pushed on a lot of colors and not showing much skin. You're pretty serious, so I was thinking maybe something that could be worn in an office, and darker colors. But I don't think we should take it too far in that direction and end up near goth territory.”

“Actually, I’m trying to not be that serious anymore,” Nate said. “But old habits die hard. You think some kind of business suit?”

“Hmm, well...” he looked around, then spotted some button-up shirts that had various designs all over them, like dragons, flames, and even vines. “Hey, let's try one of these on you. Some pants to match, both fitting well... it's not as serious as a business suit, but not as casual as a t-shirt. And some black shoes; you'd probably want to take off the visor, though.”

Nate shrugged. “The Gym's indoors, so I don't mind that.”

While they were looking for the pieces they wanted, Curtis started giving him other advice. “Oh, hold your neck up more when you walk. You're leaning your head forward a little, but it looks better when you keep a straight posture. Keep your shoulders open too so you look more confident. It's a small change, but you come out looking more attractive like that.”

“I hadn't been thinking about that,” Nate said, adjusting how he held himself. “I knew that keeping a confident posture could help you feel more confident, but I don't normally think about it.”

“You're keeping a slightly hunched defensive posture, like someone who reads a lot,” he said, pushing Nate's shoulder back a little. “It's just what your body is used to, but you can train yourself. Think about how you're standing and walking at times. Eventually your body and unconscious mind will adjust to how you want to be. Then you can work on how you speak and react to others to make them like you better on initial impressions.”

Nate chuckled. “What is this, charm school boot camp?”

Curtis laughed at that; he was having a lot of fun. “No, because then I'd have to get more critical and intense about it. I spent years learning about this when my parents were prepping me for the music business, so I'm more conscious of it than most people. But I’d like to help you learn a bit if you want. I think it could help you a lot.”

“It could. Hey, how much has Rosa told you about me? Like where I came from.”

“She told me some of it around when you were in the hospital in Castelia,” he said. “That you were from another world, right? And you need to get people to like you for some reason.”

He nodded. This was an odd place to be talking like this, he thought, in the middle of the shoe aisle of a department store. Then again, the other customers were too busy with their own shopping to pay them much heed. “Right. Actually, I’m certain now that I'm from a world like this one, but with a very different recent history, a bad one. If I want to stay here, I need to get enough people to care about me. I think, somewhere in Unova, there's a person who's just like me because he is me. If I encounter him, it might cause some paradox problems and the powers that be could kick me back to my original world.“

“But if you get enough people that care about you, they might let you stay instead?” Curtis guessed.

“That's what I think. I just hope that it doesn't try to kick out my alternate self or anything.” He shrugged. “So maybe you're right. If you do help me, it might be enough.”

Curtis gave him a thoughtful look, then shook his head. “No, don't be thinking that it might be enough. It will be enough.”

“Well it's not certain because,” Nate started to say.

But Curtis pointed at him and stopped him. “You can have your doubts, but keep them to private, with those of us who are your friends. Out here, keep confident in yourself. Think about it. You're the owner of a shopping mall that's quickly becoming popular. You've been in a movie short that has been quite successful and people want to see more of that series with you and Rosa. You're shortly going after your fourth Pokemon League badge and you have such faith in your Pokemon that you know that it's not going to be a problem. You're going to be participating in a tournament that has been gathering worldwide interest due to the fantastic potential that it's promising. So you don't really know all that much about your past, so what? Right here and right now, you are doing amazingly well and you can be proud of how you've come along. And you don't even need to tell people about it. Just let it show in how you move and how you look and people will become really interested in supporting you. That will convince anyone that you're worth being allowed to stay in this world.”

He's right, Nate realized. He had been able to accomplish quite a lot even though he'd only been in this world for less than a year. But, “As long as I don't come across as vain, I don't mind.”

“That shouldn't be a problem, unless you change inwardly a lot,” Curtis said. For the rest of their shopping trip, he kept Nate being attentive to how he was walking and standing, as well as giving him other tips.

In the evening, he checked with the Gym and found that he could challenge them then. So he did, with his hair freshly trimmed and his new outfit: a white shirt with red flame patterns, black pants, and black shoes. While it might not be top fashion, he had to admit that he looked better with this over his usual outfit. He might be mistaken for a Trainer who favored Fire Pokemon when he only had one, but that could turn to his advantage. Rosa and Curtis came along to watch in the audience.

It was like they had said: he entered at the end of a long catwalk and fought three Gym Trainers on the way. That included the one he had defeated this morning, although she had a weaker team than before. As he went along, the music intensified, adding extra drama to the event. The audience section was rather dark, but people were there cheering and clapping. In contrast, the catwalk had many spotlights: on him, on the Gym Trainers, and on the Pokemon. And now, close to a dozen spotlights on Elesa, standing in front of an enormous screen flashing colorful logos. She wore a thick pale yellow fur coat over a yellow and cyan dress, with matching cyan flat-soled shoes. Her long black hair trailed down her sides, a pair of sparking black cords hiding there oddly enough. With her graceful walk, Nate doubted that she got many challengers who could match her glamor.

“It's fantastic to see you here, Nate,” Elesa said as she stopped in a good position for battle. “I've heard a lot of good things about you, although I didn't expect such a fashionable showing from you.”

He might have brushed that off before, but talking with Curtis earlier inspired him to respond, “I want my Pokemon to look at their best, so I felt I should go along with the show.”

She smiled in approval of that. “Very good. Shall we get on with the battle then? Declare your Pokemon. I have three.”

“I have five,” he said, taking hold of Cathy's Pokeball. He felt that she might be good to see what Pokemon Elesa brought out first, then decide how he wanted to run things.

Nodding, she reached her right hand up to the left shoulder of the fur coat. “Good, then,” she whipped the coat off her shoulders and flung it aside, accompanied by a change in the music being played over the speakers. The cheers from the audience swelled. “Let's begin.”

Did she do that for every battle? Nate wondered about that briefly before focusing on leading the battle. The Petlil came out with a cheerful call and a bouncing of her leaves while Elesa's Pokemon, an Emolga, came out in the air, made a quick twirling glide around its Trainer, then drifted forward into position. He started with trying to paralyze the Emolga (didn't work), while Elesa had the Emolga use Pursuit, apparently anticipating that he'd try switching. Even though switching was risky knowing that move was there, he decided to go ahead and switch to Signet. She also switched, but using a move that allowed the Emolga to attack Cathy before it was recalled. Elesa now had a Zebstrika.

That became a problem as it also knew Pursuit, which hit the Golett strongly. Not only that, but Nate was hoping that Magnitude would work out. It turned out to have random damage increments just like in the games, so the first attempt ended up with both him and Elesa having to spend a round healing their Pokemon. The second attack knocked the Zebstrika out, but she just called out the Emolga to focus on Pursuit as well. Since Magnitude wouldn't work on the squirrel, he considered switching briefly before having Signet go with Mega Punch. That worked and then Elesa had to bring out a Flaafy who seemed to be incapable of doing anything to Signet save for trying to paralyze him.

And like he thought, his team earned the fourth Gym badge.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
That battle bugs me. I rewrote it several times before finally going with this version. All well; Driftveil is going to be interesting.

For not having done much intentionally with shipping all these years I've been writing fanfics, I'm having fun with this. And with Pokemon characters like Cathy.

3D992

The Living Hologram
So there is a different version of Nate in Unova? Great... More paradoxes and evil alternate-versions of people. On one hand character development requires that Nate be less serious, but I like him better serious... We'll see how things turn out!