• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Climbing the Tower of Success! (730)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Decent episode.

But I had some issues with it: the competition seemed... full of cheating. I mean, the kid with Elgyem used psychic tricks to get advantage and just... got away with it. It doesn't matter he lost. He proceeded and didn't get any kind of actual punishment. While it's true it's different for the show, I don't think it was a smart move for this character since he is most likely a COTD.

Anyway, I'd say the good points such as Ash's and Iris' "cosplays" made the episode more interesting to watch. Actually, Ash and Iris moments were the saving grace of this episode IMHO.

Plus, the way Stephan won the match is ridiculous. His Litwick just suddenly felt in the mood to extinguish Ash's? That's lame IMHO

anybody notice Brock's vest from season 1 - 6 made a cameo appearance?

Yeah, I noticed as well. Nice throw back!

Also, I'm glad seeing that Dawn's hat appeared as well.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Round one: Bunch of questions that are boring because I can't understand them. But then...psychic kid seems to use his Elgyem to direct Miles to the answer he wants on the Joy/Jenny question. Filthy cheater!
-Round two: People have to find things on the cards they picked. Iris borrows Dento's fishing rod(and gets a long ramble from Dento about how his fishing rod is awesome in the process), Ash gets some random dude to give him a thunderstone, Kenyan has to convince his Sawk to give up its blackbelt, and Dento has to find...a miracle shooter? Well okay then. More importantly, this segment taught me that cans of repel are apparrently ****ing huge.
-Round three: River race! Dento has Pansage use dig to paddle faster(...instead of just telling it to help him paddle?), Ash has Pikachu use its tail as a propeller, Iris has Axew use Dragon Rage as a sort of jet propulsion system that somehow doesn't kill anyone, and psychic kid has Elgyem use psychic to float him to the end of the race(which isn't cheating for once, I'm pretty sure).
-Round four: Dressup! In the pile of clothes, I spy...Brock's vest, and Dawn's hat. Oh, easter eggs. Ash has to dress as Alder, Iris as Juniper, Cilan as Elesa(yesssssss), psychic kid as Officer Jenny, and Kenyan as Nurse Joy(oh dear god). Ash does a pretty cute Alder impression(complete with a decent attempt at the hearty laugh). Iris somehow managed to fit all her hair under a Juniper wig, and passes by just going "ararara". Kenyan has the most amazing Joy voice ever, and Miles lets him pass just to make him go away. Psychic kid cheats. Dento...is ****ing fabulous. But he doesn't pass, because Mile is an incredibly picky bastard about Elesa.
-Round five: Everyone who's left races to the tower! Iris gets struck by confuse ray, which makes her think she won the race, which means she stops running. Oops. :( But the forest Pokemon are standing around being happy for her, which is adorable.
-And last but not least, Ash, Kenyan, and Cheating Psychic McKid race to the top of the tower! At the top, Cheaty McGee gets what's coming to him, so it's just Ash and Kenyan left. And...Kenyan's Litwick is a jerk that blows out the flame on Ash's litwick! Kenyan wins! Ash realizes that Kenyan got a real Litwick(apparently all of them were supposed to be fake?), but who cares? Litwick's adorable!
-Kenyan's wish is to win the Donamite tournament(too bad he didn't wish for people to say his name right so we could bury that stupid gag already). He's not thinking too far ahead(why not wish to win the Pokemon league?), but at least he's got his sights set on winning.

Overall, a pretty damned funny episode. Even if Miles was way too picky about Dento's Elesa impresion. :p

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... So I was right about the Hitomoshi supposed to be fakes! Except for the accidental real one of course. Talk about bad luck, Ash loses the race because the real Hitomoshi blew out the fire that Ash was supposed to keep lit. Stephen looked absolutely hilarious in his Nurse Joy disguise, same with Daegeki. Cilan looked funny as well, too much like the real Elesa. All of the Pokemon had really great disguises, too bad Cilan lost because Miles was very picky. The Psychic cheater kid had Ligray use Psychic so he could make it through without even having to disguise himself. Shandera was really a pain for Iris, using Confuse Ray to make her think she won instead of finishing up the race. During ehe water race, everyone was very creative, Yanappu helping Cilan, Ligray using Psychic, Kibago using Dragon Rage, and Daegeki helping Stephen. The trivia contest was impossible to understand for me, but it was obvious that the Psychic cheater kid cheated with one of the questions and answers. Cilan was lecturing about him and his fishing rod... It was odd seeing a random kid throw a Thunderstone at Pikachu.

50/100

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
but who cares? Litwick's adorable!
-Kenyan's wish is to win the Donamite tournament(too bad he didn't wish for people to say his name right so we could bury that stupid gag already). He's not thinking too far ahead(why not wish to win the Pokemon league?), but at least he's got his sights set on winning.

Overall, a pretty damned funny episode. Even if Miles was way too picky about Dento's Elesa impresion. :p

Point 1 - That is what Ash said he was going to wish for, entry and complete victory at the Isshu League. Kenyan has poor foresight I guess? LOL.

Point 2 - The 'psychic' trainer Reiji used Riguree's psychic/reality distortion to make Mile see differently. I'm pretty sure.

G50

No longer posting
Stephan was terrible at the trivia questions and had to be told the answers.
Sawk using Low Kick in the water to move the boat.

gohan5

Irisboy
-Round two: People have to find things on the cards they picked. Iris borrows Dento's fishing rod(and gets a long ramble from Dento about how his fishing rod is awesome in the process), Ash gets some random dude to give him a thunderstone, Kenyan has to convince his Sawk to give up its blackbelt, and Dento has to find...a miracle shooter? Well okay then. More importantly, this segment taught me that cans of repel are apparrently ****ing huge.
-Round three: River race! Dento has Pansage use dig to paddle faster(...instead of just telling it to help him paddle?), Ash has Pikachu use its tail as a propeller, Iris has Axew use Dragon Rage as a sort of jet propulsion system that somehow doesn't kill anyone, and psychic kid has Elgyem use psychic to float him to the end of the race(which isn't cheating for once, I'm pretty sure).
-Round four: Dressup! In the pile of clothes, I spy...Brock's vest, and Dawn's hat. Oh, easter eggs. Ash has to dress as Alder, Iris as Juniper, Cilan as Elesa(yesssssss), psychic kid as Officer Jenny, and Kenyan as Nurse Joy(oh dear god). Ash does a pretty cute Alder impression(complete with a decent attempt at the hearty laugh). Iris somehow managed to fit all her hair under a Juniper wig, and passes by just going "ararara". Kenyan has the most amazing Joy voice ever, and Miles lets him pass just to make him go away. Psychic kid cheats. Dento...is ****ing fabulous. But he doesn't pass, because Mile is an incredibly picky bastard about Elesa.

-I'm pretty sure Iris didn't use Dento's fishing rod, he just rambled on and on and she was pretty much nevermind. Besides, you can see that the fishing rod she had was clearly different, it wasn't even retractable like Dento's.
-Well she didn't aim the Dragon Rage at anyone so yeah ^^;
-The easter eggs from various former characters was nice, and ought to get people to be quiet about the writers not acknowledging stuff. Loved Ash and Iris's impersonations, pretty spot on. Did Iris use a wig? It seemed pretty huge, like she colored her hair? Doubt it though since she does look normal a few scenes later. Mile rejecting Dento's impersonation was funny and I completely understand, I'm sure there are other diehard fans of certain characters that would be just as strict :p

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
-I'm pretty sure Iris didn't use Dento's fishing rod, he just rambled on and on and she was pretty much nevermind. Besides, you can see that the fishing rod she had was clearly different, it wasn't even retractable like Dento's.

It was because his rod wasn't a Super Rod. He still showed it to her though. XD It made me giggle...

I think the speech went something like:

Iris: Dento! Do you have a Super Rod?
Dento: I only have this one...*takes it out* As a Fishing Sommelier I need to have my own rod! It has just the perfect balance, flexibility etc etc
Iris: T_T I was stupid to ask....

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I know that, that's what I'm saying. He's got some special made fishing rod, the only thing the same was the color ^^;

Gosh, if that was a Super Rod that Iris has, it's awfully ugly. :x Leave it to Looker to give you a crappy rod. Dento has the nice quality ones...like those awesome ones you see on TV XDDDD YOU CAN'T BUY THIS IN ANY OLD STORE! It's 100% LIMITED EDITION! There's a secret place right around near Hidden Valley where you can go and get this special fishing rod...and only Fishing Sommeliers know about it.

gohan5

Irisboy
Gosh, if that was a Super Rod that Iris has, it's awfully ugly. :x Leave it to Looker to give you a crappy rod. Dento has the nice quality ones...like those awesome ones you see on TV XDDDD YOU CAN'T BUY THIS IN ANY OLD STORE! It's 100% LIMITED EDITION! There's a secret place right around near Hidden Valley where you can go and get this special fishing rod...and only Fishing Sommeliers know about it.

It didn't look ugly to me, it looked better than the rods we've seen so far. I mean look at the ones from the fishing competition, you knew those were just cheap.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
It didn't look ugly to me, it looked better than the rods we've seen so far. I mean look at the ones from the fishing competition, you knew those were just cheap.

Eh it was the handle I think. The grip looked....crummy...I didn't like it. Dx Of course those ones were cheap, Team Rocket wouldn't pay that much for Good Rods :p

gohan5

Irisboy
Eh it was the handle I think. The grip looked....crummy...I didn't like it. Dx Of course those ones were cheap, Team Rocket wouldn't pay that much for Good Rods :p

The golden handle, carved with the best metal to make sure that the reel works at maximum efficiency? Fails at being a Fishing Sommelier XP

Well I just mean it's probably the most detailed, other than Dento's, fishing rod that we've seen :p

An okay episode. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that noticed Brock's vest. Stephan getting a win in a competition like this was cool as well. I found it quite funny to see Stephan's Litwick just blow Ash's out. I liked the wild Pokemon attacking. The little kid with the Elgyem got on my nerves though.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
The golden handle, carved with the best metal to make sure that the reel works at maximum efficiency? Fails at being a Fishing Sommelier XP

Well I just mean it's probably the most detailed, other than Dento's, fishing rod that we've seen :p

Pssh, if it was worth it Dento would have a Super Rod. :p

True, but it didn't look as "super" as I thought it would. Looks more like a Good Rod to me.

gohan5

Irisboy
Pssh, if it was worth it Dento would have a Super Rod. :p

True, but it didn't look as "super" as I thought it would. Looks more like a Good Rod to me.

He couldn't afford one, that's why his is "special ordered" :p

I think it's pretty super, it's a major improvement from the stick and string that the old rod is :p

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
He couldn't afford one, that's why his is "special ordered" :p

I think it's pretty super, it's a major improvement from the stick and string that the old rod is :p

Yes he could, it just doesn't have the right flavor. xP I like Dento's fishing rod lots better. They even sell that thing in Japan. JUST YOU WATCH. In BW2 Dento's going to give you an ULTRA SPARKLY FIBER GLASS ROD and with it you can catch LV. 90-100 Magikarps and a LV. 1 Kyogre. IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

...It's better than a spear too. :p

gohan5

Irisboy
Yes he could, it just doesn't have the right flavor. xP I like Dento's fishing rod lots better. They even sell that thing in Japan. JUST YOU WATCH. In BW2 Dento's going to give you an ULTRA SPARKLY FIBER GLASS ROD and with it you can catch LV. 90-100 Magikarps and a LV. 1 Kyogre. IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

...It's better than a spear too. :p

Arara, looks like someone was hit with Chandelure's Confuse Ray :p

Well I like both fishing rods but Dento's just a little better because it's retractable :p