• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Climbing the Walls (828)

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Climbing the Walls! depicts the Gym Battle between Ash and Grant. While the battling itself was pretty cool, the dialogue felt way off. There were a lot of cliches and awkward phrasings that really took a lot out of the air of an otherwise epic battle. The animation was quite stilted as well--everyone seemed a bit more stiff than usual. The 2 vs. 3 Pokemon gimmick was odd and didn't really come to much fruition (as Fletching lasted a whole 30 seconds) so it is hard to understand why the writers even tried to incorporate it.

Gym Battle episodes are always a blast, but this one was underwhelming. The XY saga definitely started out strong with its first dozen or so episodes, but it appears to be on a disappointing streak. Hopefully it picks back up, because even a Gym Battle episode like this one struggled to keep my interest.

Grade: C+

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Why did Ash even use Fletchling if it was going to end up as a fall guy?? He shouldn't have even bothered switching to him.

I'm pretty sure he used Fletchling to test Grant's strategy and I thought it was a good move actually. But I do feel bad for Fletchling any ways. ^^;

*Frank*

...and improvised moves make a comeback! I didn't like the idea of a 3V2 match, it made it look unfair in Grant's side.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Pretty cool gym battle episode. I'm surprised they made the rock climb look a whole lot shorter in the anime. Ash barely seemed to break a sweat. I'm not surprised that they didn't mention it's the second time he's had to climb a big height for a gym match (remember his second Orange Island gym match?). I liked Serena commenting on what's changed since the Santalune gym match too, and I like how impressed she is over how much he trained. At least it just took one episode to finish the gym match this time, and it was a good battle.

8/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I liked this Gym Battle, Ash's Pokemon all did pretty well and he had some pretty good strategy going there. I also like how we get to see Ash's climbing skills again, though he did get kind of exhausted from the climb. That Tyrunt was pretty haxy too.~

Leonhart

Imagineer
It didn't take Satoshi and friends that long to reach Shouyou City, for which I was grateful, because I had been eagerly looking forward to Satoshi versus Zakuro. In truth, I wasn't pleased by how Satoshi used his Yayakoma, because it was used almost as a sacrifice against Zakuro's Chigoras for Pikachu's sake.

Alloutℯ

Banned
The episode felt a little rushed through in some parts and I wonder if it being pushed up resulted in cuts of parts that weren't done. Also, I'm glad someone else pointed out the weirdness of Grant's hands.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The episode felt a little rushed through in some parts and I wonder if it being pushed up resulted in cuts of parts that weren't done. Also, I'm glad someone else pointed out the weirdness of Grant's hands.

People thought Grant's hands were weird here? Lol, his head was the weirdest part of him, which is why I've never liked him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, Zakuro should've had an Amarus on his team in place of Iwark. I'm all in favor of the anime changing the teams of Gym Leaders every so often, but we'd seen dozens of Iwark, so Amarus would've been preferable.

Scorbunnie

This gym was plenty good the way it turned out but it could have been a tiny bit better if Grant had used Amaura instead of Onix. Even some thing like Graveler would've been better.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
It was not a bad gym battle. Fletchling was clearly no match against Tyrunt. It’s always nice to see Dinosaurs in the anime.