• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Climbing the Walls (828)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The fact remains that if a GL gives a challenger a handicap, and the challenger accepts it, then fault lies with the GL, not the challenger because the GL wouldn't have made said handicap to begin with if he/she didn't feel they couldn't handle it.

If the challenger doesn't like it, their free to go somewhere else to test their skills if they don't like the way the GL wants to fight.

Course i'm starting to wonder if this pointless bickering is really about the numbers factor...

Sephora

yes I'm back
- I like how the design for the gym is so similar to the games!
- That's right! Flip that hat!
- OMG at Bonnie wanting to climb, too xD
- I am a bit confused, but why are Grant's hands white compared to the rest of him? Is it some sort of rock climbing powder?
- Aww worried Serena ;)
- The three way high-five was cute
- Slow motion dodge xD
- Good for Froakie taking home a win after so many losses
- Dragon/Rock hmm
- Draco Meteor against Double Team is a great idea
- Fletchling against a Tyrunt?! Really Ash? Really?
- Dragon Tail has a great animation. Damn Tyrunt.
- Use Iron Tail, Pikachu! It's super effective.
- Iron Tail on Draco Meteor was a great scene imo
- Grant's ears are abnormally huge omg
- The BGM was freakin amazing. Lysandre's huh?
- Lovely battle overall
- Fletchling and Froakie are just magically healed LOL
- The badge case is so pretty. My favourite from the whole show.

What a wonderful episode! I really enjoyed it, and it was 10x better than the Viola battle episode.

nuzamaki90

I really liked this episode, even though I think the battle against Tyrunt could've been a little longer. I don't know why but XY is really good at making me like the Gym Leaders and Grant was no exception, that guy is awesome. I really loved how he made Ash climb the mountain like you do in the games and Ash flipping his hat was the icing on the cake. Ash looked cool and calm throughout the battle which is good because it really shows how well he handles himself now.

Froakie VS Onix was just awesome. Froakie's matrix was what made it for me, probably the best scene I've seen in this entire saga, it was just so badass holy crap. I really liked how both Grant and Ash used continuous strategies too, neither was outsmarting the other and the battle felt really fair and equal. I think Ash's strategy of bouncing off the rocks was really well planned and I'm really happy Pikachu, Froakie, and Fletchling participated in the battle and each got some good hits. Fletchling was made fodder but I could care less because he's at least still given attention.

Overall this was a great episode, I just really want to know what was being said in the end of the episode during sunset. I know Grant mentioned the Battle Chateau and some brief talk about the Tower of Mastery but I can't wait for subs to see what they were talking about.

Janovy

Banned
Wait why is this discussion taking place?

I don't even speak Japanese and I could understand that Grant mentioned 'gym system'. So it was probably Grant's rule. As for Ash using three instead of two, it makes perfect sense. He trained with all three of them and kinda made a promise with all three of them in the Chateau episode when he first met Grant. It was only fair Fletchling partook as well, why should have Fletchling been left out if it had trained hard as well?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So the last match was Pikachu vs. Tyrunt just as the title implied. I'm so surprised. :rolleyes: Froakie getting a real win for once was great though, but Fletchling really was the fall guy for no reason. Sigh.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Wait why is this discussion taking place?

I don't even speak Japanese and I could understand that Grant mentioned 'gym system'. So it was probably Grant's rule. As for Ash using three instead of two, it makes perfect sense. He trained with all three of them and kinda made a promise with all three of them in the Chateau episode when he first met Grant. It was only fair Fletchling partook as well, why should have Fletchling been left out if it had trained hard as well?

because people love to protest the ruling as it seems similar to Roxie and feel it cheapens Ash's win, and could possibly equal a pity badge.

Janovy

Banned
because people love to protest the ruling as it seems similar to Roxie and feel it cheapens Ash's win, and could possibly equal a pity badge.
A pity badge? Wow. I personally don't get it, I mean, it's not like Grant felt sorry for Ash and let him use all of his Pokemon. He was clearly following his own set of rules which Ash obeyed. It was a perfect opportunity to utilize Fletchling as well who was training hard for the gym and in my eyes that doesn't cheapen his win. My only real remark is that Tyrunt should have lasted longer.

Speaking of which, I like how Grant's gym had its own system. I hope to see more different systems in other gyms too (if possible).

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
believe me I know Ash earned this badge, maybe it's more so the fact that Pikachu won that has people steamed.

At least it wasn't a curbstomp battle, like the Roxie's and Cameron's battles were. This match was fair.

Frankly, I feel more sorry about Fletchling being the fall guy than displeased about the Gym rules. Hopefully the bird will get the chance to truly shine.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
At least it wasn't a curbstomp battle, like the Roxie's and Cameron's battles were. This match was fair.

Frankly, I feel more sorry about Fletchling being the fall guy than displeased about the Gym rules. Hopefully the bird will get the chance to truly shine.

it probably will in the next gym.

This battles intensity was what made me excited^_^

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
I mean Ash was going to win regardless but for me personally, him using 3 Pokemon just doesn't seem like something Ash would do. Like I could see Grant saying he can use all his Pokemon on hand and ash saying "thanks but if you're going to use 2 Pokemon then I will use 2 Pokemon too". It just seems out of character to me.

Also now that I've had some time to think about it and watch it over, the way Pikachu beat Tyrunt just doesn't sit right with me. You can't even use the "tyrunt was already weak" argument when it clearly showed little to no signs of exhaustion. Fletchling got off an effective steel wing but it brushed that off. Pikachu finishing with Iron Tail instead of Thunderbolt would've made it slightly more realistic since Tyrunt was already occupied with a rock in its mouth.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I mean Ash was going to win regardless but for me personally, him using 3 Pokemon just doesn't seem like something Ash would do. Like I could see Grant saying he can use all his Pokemon on hand and ash saying "thanks but if you're going to use 2 Pokemon then I will use 2 Pokemon too". It just seems out of character to me.

I kind of agree. I mean battling fairly is kind of his code and yet he didn't mind having a potential advantage here. Also, what was the point of him using three Pokemon anyway?

Navin

MALDREAD
Obviously, it would have been nice to see Fletchling not just be used as a scout and fall-guy. But I enjoyed seeing Onix getting rekt by Froakie and Tyrunt is just a beast, but I liked how Ash made use of climbing the Rock Tombs and using Iron Tail as a baseball bat. I think if Ash just used Pikachu instead of Fletchling, he probably would have still won. Hopefully Fletchling becomes a beast in its evolved forms.

Janovy

Banned
Ash treating his Pokemon unfairly would also be OOC. It was Fletchling, Froakie and Pikachu ever since Ash met Grant. All three of them trained hard this gym. Why would Ash let his Pokemon's training go to waste? He was a fair trainer for allowing Fletchling to contribute. (which it did, according to Ash - allowing him to figure out the rest of Tyrunt's moveset so it wasn't useless)

Kyrousa Izanami

The lazy noob
This episode was awesome! I'm glad Ash didn't fell from climbing the mountain it would take him another episode to battle Grant and I was glad Ash defeats Onix using a Pokemon has advantage against Grant's Onix for first time, I remember back in DP Ash used a Pokemon has advantage against Roark's Onix was Turtwig, he lost against Onix, Grant's Tyrunt was seemly not that strong to defeat Ash's Pikachu, that battle was really amazing I'm happy there isn't a rematch in the next episode I'm grateful for the writers didn't make Ash fail to get the second badge in this episode.

RickHoenn

Banned

It's unbelievable that now because Ash fought according to the gym rules now he's being given pity badges and doing outrageous predictions he's gonna get pity badges in Kalos, I guess when you're in need to bring a protest/argument to anything just for the sake of argue, wow...

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
This episode was awesome! I'm glad Ash didn't fell from climbing the mountain it would take him another episode to battle Grant and I was glad Ash defeats Onix using a Pokemon has advantage against Grant's Onix for first time, I remember back in DP Ash used a Pokemon has advantage against Roark's Onix was Turtwig, he lost against Onix, Grant's Tyrunt was seemly not that strong to defeat Ash's Pikachu, that battle was really amazing I'm happy there isn't a rematch in the next episode I'm grateful for the writers didn't make Ash fail to get the second badge in this episode.

you do remember the reason Ash lost to Roark was because he was more concerned with showing up Paul and trying to prove his way of battling was right than he was on winning, Roark even commented on that in the following episode.

Gotta say though Onix dropping to two water pulses, most seeming realistic kill I've seen with types in a while.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Ash treating his Pokemon unfairly would also be OOC. It was Fletchling, Froakie and Pikachu ever since Ash met Grant. All three of them trained hard this gym. Why would Ash let his Pokemon's training go to waste? He was a fair trainer for allowing Fletchling to contribute. (which it did, according to Ash - allowing him to figure out the rest of Tyrunt's moveset so it wasn't useless)
All you guys are making are assumptions, "Ash used Fletchling because he wanted to make it a team effort." Amazing, ignoring the fact that him showing zero regret at using a half course team against a gym leader with only two Pokemon is already OOC in its own right.

But I also criticize Ash vs. Roxie because the way the entire battle (where the numbers advantage was only a part of it, albeit not a small one) was executed made it come off less like Ash achieved anything on his own and more like Roxie did everything she reasonably could to help him (e.g. giving him a berry to heal one of his his Pokemon during the battle) short of just giving him the Badge. I do praise Ash vs. Grant for executing Ash's ultimate triumph well - by having Ash make good use of his Pikachu's strengths to beat Tyrunt, and not doing things like having Grant take any major step to save Ash from defeat, like healing his Pokemon mid-battle - despite of the numbers advantage, which I didn't feel the Roxie battle did.

And at the end of the day, what you seem to not understand what is being said is Ash willingly chose to go with a third member with no regret or slight annoyance to fight a gym leader, a prominent figure in the show and test giver for future league participates when he could easily suggested against it or shown some reservations about the whole deal. I love how you're mainly talking about Roxie and others not the Grant battle here and now though. Because looking at this battle as an entity in its own right not going with the "lesser of two evils" argument you're claiming, yeah, there's a clear double-standard when it comes to Ash's character's overall treatment in most situations in-comparison to others. But I don't expect this argument to bear fruit anyway all things considered. And the environment.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
and who would have thought the shoyo gym looks exactly the same in the games, even the outside part

my guess was right after all, fletchling was a third wheel on the gym match and just got taken so easily by tyrunt

lol at tyrunt being feed a stone by pikachu, i had a good laugh there :D

then there's the shara city which in serena's navigator loooks exactly the same the one in the games.

if i'm not mistaken, zakuro was saying something about the third gym , probably it looks like he knows something in secret but won't tell satoshi & co bcause that is for them to find out

zakuro mentioned something about battle chateau ( similar in the games were he said that he takes a short trip there and will acknowledge a rematch with him), i guess that's a hint will be seeing satoshi doing the battle chateau again - well probably

overall the episode was really good, looks forward to the next episode and also the next gym battle which will probably be a bit far from here.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Oh lord, where to even begin with this gym....

Well first of all, that is two ******** gyms in a row so great job writers.

Second of all, if not for Froakie getting a bad *** win, I wouldn't even glance towards this episode.

Finally, wtf writers?? What in the hell was the purpose of making Fletchling look like a fail??

And don't you guys even start with the he got a couple of good hits in crap, he got two hits and neither of them did anything, oh and then he went down to a single hit.

Can't wait for the next gym where Fletchinder gets 1 win, Froakie gets pwned, and Pikachu sweeps again *rolls eyes*...