• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cloning Extinct animals

Dattebayo

Banned
Ah, that was something I should have touched on. Recently extinct animals due to humans.

I recently read in the news that the numbers of Black Rhinos are dropping fast, and that the Sumatran or Javan Rhino is already extinct due to overhunting (cannot remember which). There are also a crap-ton of other animals that are near-extinct or already extinct due to humans. Those animals, I think, should be first on the list of cloning, if cloning is to be done. Followed maybe by those whose limited numbers and selective breeding make it very difficult to continually populate. Panda bears, whose diet consists of bamboo (thus resulting in weak milk), can only raise one baby at a time, while the other(s) will have to die. These are other animals that should (possibly) be cloned.
This is why I suggested on decreasing our own population to make room for animals/plants that are near extinction so nothing like this would ever happen and focus on cloning ancient species such as a T-Rex and a Mammoth.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

I totally agree with retuning old exticint creatures to earth, But dinos before wolly Mamoths. We have warmed up earth, not a great place for a harie animal. However Dinos love warm weather... And we are closer to getting dinos then wolly mamoths

What? No.

The atmosphere, for example, is far, far less thick than it was back then. The air during the Mesozoic, for example, had a pressure at sealevel of about 370 atmospheres. We currently have a pressure of one atmosphere at sealevel; that's a pretty big difference. Think of the air back then as being practically like water. This was a bit of what helped some truly enormous creatures to live or even fly. Try that today, they'd break under their own weight. This is why you don't have whales walking around on land.

Furthermore, there are plenty of chilly places for mammoths to live today, people find entire frozen mammoth bodies relativelely frequently... if you're going to try and clone dinosaurs or mammoths, the choice is clearly mammoths.

Besides, T-Rex would probably taste just like a big chicken.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
This is why I suggested on decreasing our own population to make room for animals/plants that are near extinction so nothing like this would ever happen.
How do you suppose that will work? How should we undertake such a grave task? There are already environmental stress factors working themselves into the human atmosphere for one thing. I think we should be more responsible for our actions, that would be the appropriate start.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
As long as it's not a T-Rex, I'm fine with it.

Dattebayo

Banned
How do you suppose that will work? How should we undertake such a grave task?

Abortion, Gay Marriage, and not saving human lives are the choices I've come up with in my mind.

There are already environmental stress factors working themselves into the human atmosphere for one thing. I think we should be more responsible for our actions, that would be the appropriate start.

I'm afraid that may already be too late for some (Ex: Sumatran Tigers, only around 300 are left in the wild).

Oh come on!

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Abortion, Gay Marriage, and not saving human lives are the choices I've come up with in my mind.
Abortion is already legal. Gay marriage would have no effect.. and not saving human lives? Huh?

Dattebayo

Banned
Abortion is already legal. Gay marriage would have no effect.. and not saving human lives? Huh?

As in not saving humans from diseases and the after effects of natural disasters.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
As GhostAnime has said, gay marriage will not cause a dent in the human population. Abortion is up to the woman's choice, and force abortion is hypocritical to our society and immoral in that regard. Heck, if someone has a appendicitis, let's not help them with a quick operation that would save a life and potential. God knows I would have probably been dead already if I didn't get the surgery I needed.

Please look up, "American values" or "humanitarian values".

They already cloned some kind of extinct goat that became extinct in the 1800's. They managed to grow it into a fetus in the womb of a domestic goat but it unfortunatly died.

I actually think it isn't a bad idea, but only for animals that died out because of us and still have their habitat relatively intact, like the dodo or thylacine.

DNA is reduced to proteins or completely disappears during the fossilization process. (Yes also the blood in the bugs that are trapped in amber. So copying "Jurassic Park" isn't possible)

And Datte, big Tyrannosaurids were both scavengers and predators.
And it is true that the temperature changes reduced the number of woolly mammoths, but they last ones died out 3700 years ago because of a certain primate that wanted to eat them....

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
As in not saving humans from diseases and the after effects of natural disasters.
Would you agree with this if you or your family were subjected to this?

Ethan

Banned
DNA is reduced to proteins or completely disappears during the fossilization process. (Yes also the blood in the bugs that are trapped in amber. So copying "Jurassic Park" isn't possible)

*Isn't possible with today's technology.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ

Yeah its much better to build the dna from scratch like a computer programer would.

M4zz

Banned
Well, to an extent. You could, theoretically, take the DNA, in the case we are reviving a dinosaur, from both a living reptile and a frog, and genetically mix it with any pre-existing DNA from said dinosaur. As Ethan pointed out, this isn't really possible with today's technology, but probably could happen.

Ethan

Banned
I never insinuated that's what would be necessary. Glad to see your optimistic about future technological advances in genetics though. Misplaced sarcasm was never really conducive to anything.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
Dodos> Mammoths>T-Rex

Think about it. Seriously. I could only see Mammoths existing inside the arctic circle or Antarctica. They existed when the ice age was at it's peak, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and we are just coming out of it now. I think that the Mammoths would be a pointless, not to mention expensive, idea.

As mentioned cloning dinosaurs would be impractical, as the animals would have been alive at times when the atmosphere was different, oxygen levels were different, the temperature and the food that they eat is not around anymore.

Dodo's could be cloned, they went extinct less than 200 years ago and it would be much more popular.
And they would be tasty too.

Aquanova

Bringing back an extinct animal just so you can eat them is wrong. That seems like abuse of technology to me

If no DNA has been preserved, not even fragmented DNA, you can't clone it. Nor build it from scratch because you have no idea how the base pairs of the animal's DNA were arranged.

No matter what kind of technology you have.

Dodos> Mammoths>T-Rex

Think about it. Seriously. I could only see Mammoths existing inside the arctic circle or Antarctica. They existed when the ice age was at it's peak, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and we are just coming out of it now. I think that the Mammoths would be a pointless, not to mention expensive, idea.

They died out 3700 years ago. That's not that long before the ancient Egyptians existed.

Dodo's could be cloned, they went extinct less than 200 years ago and it would be much more popular.
And they would be tasty too.
It's said that dodo meat tasted worse the longer you cooked it. That's why it was called "walghvogel" (loathsome bird) by Dutch explorers.

Well, to an extent. You could, theoretically, take the DNA, in the case we are reviving a dinosaur, from both a living reptile and a frog, and genetically mix it with any pre-existing DNA from said dinosaur.

Even mummified dinosaurs are fossilized. (although they found some proteins in an Edmontosaurus fossil, but no DNA) so there's no pre-existing dinosaur DNA.

Dinosaurs were almost as diverse as mammals are today. So saying that you'd try to use lizard or croc DNA is the same like saying you'd use DNA of the rat-like pre-mammals to clone a human being. Amphibians have nothing in common with dinosaurs so I have no clue why you're bringing them up. If you'd use DNA of another animal you'd be better off by using bird DNA as they're actually surviving dinosaurs from the Maniraptora clade (the clade where Therizinosaurs, Dromaeosaurs aka raptors, ornitholestes and some other families belonged to)

Last edited:

Ipwnyou

Keeping them in a closed and isolated environment is fine theoretically, but there's still no telling what the long term effects will be.
Just look at what happened to Australias ranbbits

A guy got a bunch of rabbits, and put them on his farm so that he could have something to hunt.

The rabbits got out, and now rabbits are a major pest in Australia.

A wooly mammoth is a bit larger than a rabbit, and probably easier to keep track of, and I doubt they'll repeat the mistake of just letting them out, but you still have to be careful when carrying these things out.

re-introducing extinct species is a terrible idea.

No matter how smart you think you are, there is no way for you to predict what will happen, there are simply too many variables, too many different scenarios, too many possibilities that could change the outcome.

If they want to clone individuals for study, then that's fine.

Last edited: