• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cloning Extinct animals

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
i know more about math than a almost all the math teachers i have ever had, if you want to try me i can give some really difficult math problems. Teachers make mistakes. You are essentialy saying that they dont make mistakes. Any way, even if the teacher did not make a mistake, maybe 3001 did. Maybe he misheard. Anyway "mentioned something about it" is an INCREDIBLY weak arguement. Don't use it.

Read posts!!! I said physics not math and you seem like a narcissist to me so you probably do notice everyones mistakes.

M4zz

Banned
You realize my physics teacher has taught at the University of Toronto, and did a ton of research on the sun? I doubt he made any mistakes. Not with a PhD of such calibre.

Richarizard

conspicuous absence
i know more about math than a almost all the math teachers i have ever had, if you want to try me i can give some really difficult math problems. Teachers make mistakes. You are essentialy saying that they dont make mistakes. Any way, even if the teacher did not make a mistake, maybe 3001 did. Maybe he misheard. Anyway "mentioned something about it" is an INCREDIBLY weak arguement. Don't use it.

And what you're saying, is that you can't possibly make a mistake.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan

[img139]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001144721/Cool_story_bro_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg[/img139]

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
You must be from another planet then, as previously stated, our technology is not capable of cloning an animal without a live female specimen, and if one exists, the animal is therefore not extinct.

"In 2003, scientists attempted to clone the extinct Pyrenean Ibex (C. p. pyrenaica). This initial attempt failed; of the 285 embryos reconstructed, 54 were transferred to 12 mountain goats and mountain goat-domestic goat hybrids, but only two survived the initial two months of gestation before they too died.[53] In 2009, a second attempt was made to clone the Pyrenean Ibex; one clone was born alive, but died seven minutes later, due to physical defects in the lungs.[54]"

Is a quote from the "Extinct" section of wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction I really suggest you read it. From the hybrid, The original animal would have been formed after some intense research.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
From the hybrid, The original animal would have been formed after some intense research.

it is beyond our technology to revive an extinct species.

So you agree that it is currently beyond our current technology to clone an extinct animal? Sure looks like it, considering the "the animal would have been formed after some intense research" statement.

Fatal

Banned
I hope the Mammoth cloning goes well because the Mammoth is my second favorite animal after the cheetah. I've seen a cheetah up close but never got the chance to see a real mammoth because, you know, they don't exist anymore. It would be pretty cool if it's successful.

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
So you agree that it is currently beyond our current technology to clone an extinct animal? Sure looks like it, considering the "the animal would have been formed after some intense research" statement.

In a way but dude a Hybrid was formed that died after seven minutes, on wikipedia it was the first animal to be revived from the extinct stage..so it actually was cloned, the genes are still of the extinct animal but too bad it didnt live.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
In a way but dude a Hybrid was formed that died after seven minutes, on wikipedia it was the first animal to be revived from the extinct stage..so it actually was cloned, the genes are still of the extinct animal but too bad it didnt live.

It was born with defects. The cloning was not successful. Defects are a result of a failure in the cellular division process, as a result of either improper cloning methods, or degraded DNA.

Regardless, the scientists attempting to clone the mammoth haven't even been able to extract DNA intact enough to be of even potential use in cloning. They haven't even gotten past actually obtaining DNA, so it's going to be a while yet before there's actual attempts of cloning being considered.

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
Yes but there is still the possability because if they can get dna they can try to clone. And even if it dies it was cloned just it was 'defective'.

And the mammoth is a good choice as we have the elephant we could make a hybrid and slowly work our way from there.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Yeah, and while we're at it, let's give it brain functions equivalent to a human and give it a race car.

YES ON SO MANY LEVELS.

But back to the actual debate.
@OP you seem to assume that scientists would clone wool mammoths and let them go out and frolic across the snowscape. It was heavily implied in your post you assume scientists are going to revive the species as a whole or open some cheesy theme park with extinct animals.

NONE OF THIS IS TRUE OR PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

What would stop these mammoths from being released into the outside world?

About 10,000 years of bacteria and virus evolution the mammoth would not have the immunity system to fend off.

Being able to clone extinct animals from preserved DNA is a vital experiment and here is why:

The research and insight gained from this experiment will help us to further understand genes, DNA, etc. and allow for us to help repopulate or restore populations of species that we wiped out.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Yes but there is still the possability because if they can get dna they can try to clone. And even if it dies it was cloned just it was 'defective'.

And the mammoth is a good choice as we have the elephant we could make a hybrid and slowly work our way from there.

If a clone is born with genetic defects, the cloning process failed. The very essence of cloning is to produce an exact copy of genetic material and in turn use that copy to produce an organic being completely identical (though due to minor mutations in the DNA, clones are rarely "perfect" clones, they usually end up with distinct DNA) to the subject cloned. If at any point in the process the DNA becomes corrupt, you have failed to clone the animal.

YES ON SO MANY LEVELS.

But back to the actual debate.
@OP you seem to assume that scientists would clone wool mammoths and let them go out and frolic across the snowscape. It was heavily implied in your post you assume scientists are going to revive the species as a whole or open some cheesy theme park with extinct animals.

NONE OF THIS IS TRUE OR PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

What would stop these mammoths from being released into the outside world?

About 10,000 years of bacteria and virus evolution the mammoth would not have the immunity system to fend off.

Assuming that clones were actually successfully made and somehow released into the wild, yes, many Mammoths would die due to infectious diseases they have no immunity too. Would they all be guaranteed to die? No. The immune system of most mammals is sophisticated enough to adapt to new bacteria and viruses. Some of the healthier mammoths would survive, and develop immunity to the bacteria and viruses as well.

Regardless, the more obvious solution is that in the case of an escaped mammoth, it's not as if it's going to be able to hide undetected like a Fly might, it would be extremely conspicuous and could easily just be shot from a helicopter.

Last edited:

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Assuming that clones were actually successfully made and somehow released into the wild, yes, many Mammoths would die due to infectious diseases they have no immunity too. Would they all be guaranteed to die? No. The immune system of most mammals is sophisticated enough to adapt to new bacteria and viruses. Some of the healthier mammoths would survive, and develop immunity to the bacteria and viruses as well.

Regardless, the more obvious solution is that in the case of an escaped mammoth, it's not as if it's going to be able to hide undetected like a Fly might, it would be extremely conspicuous and could easily just be shot from a helicopter.

Sorry, my main point is scientists are not planning on resurrecting an entire species of mammoths. The OP and many other posters seemed to assume that we were just going to breed a ton of mammoths and throw them out into the wild which is not the case. I was just giving an example as to why it wouldn't work out great even if someone wanted to. The scientists have one goal and that is to breed one mammoth.

Because of the dangers of the outside world I am guessing it will probably spend most of it's time in an extremely isolated area where it could be researched.

houndourm

a-a-a-awesome
Then shouldn't we try cloninlg an animal already in existence like an endangered species to stop its fall? And if we did that we night get information and eventually be able to clone an extinct one?

Aggron459

Aron Is Beast
I agree. Animals get extinct for a reason. Also, WHERE IS IT GOING TO LIVE? In the zoo? LOL. They shouldnt bring back an extinct animal. Would you want ;473; to be a living creature?

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Sorry, my main point is scientists are not planning on resurrecting an entire species of mammoths. The OP and many other posters seemed to assume that we were just going to breed a ton of mammoths and throw them out into the wild which is not the case. I was just giving an example as to why it wouldn't work out great even if someone wanted to. The scientists have one goal and that is to breed one mammoth.

Because of the dangers of the outside world I am guessing it will probably spend most of it's time in an extremely isolated area where it could be researched.

Oh, ok, I agree then :).

Then shouldn't we try cloninlg an animal already in existence like an endangered species to stop its fall? And if we did that we night get information and eventually be able to clone an extinct one?

We are, and we have.

I agree. Animals get extinct for a reason. Also, WHERE IS IT GOING TO LIVE? In the zoo? LOL. They shouldnt bring back an extinct animal. Would you want ;473; to be a living creature?

Animals don't get extinct for a reason, by random chance they are either over-hunted, killed by changes in their climate, or a natural disaster. There is no "Greater Reason" for why they would become extinct.

Yes, it would live in a zoo, just like other animals. There's no point in arguing that it's somehow less moral to keep an extinct animal in a zoo than it is to keep a non-endangered animal in a zoo.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

Well, at least someone is thinking realistically (or at least as far as this topic's concerned).

They can't repopulate an entire extinct species. Making one is hard enough. Environmental pressures would surely take its toll on a species that was resurrected.