• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
If you have access to WiFi, make some friends here that could help. Other than that, you're SOL.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
There actually is. If you can use pokecheck, you put the poke in pokecheck, and there is a selection place when you check its stats that says "Queue for transfer to Gen. 5". Click that, then go to the GTS and it will be transferred, and you will also have a copy in Gen 4.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Between 5th gen games, the GTS is surprisingly efficient for this.

Between different generations you will need to employ considerably less... Nintendo approved... methods like the above pokecheck.

Can't you find a friend with another DS you could borrow?

Gelatino95

Not a tool
1. Can't send pokemon to the dream world from fourth gen games
2. Sending pokemon to the dream world isn't trading them

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
To migrate Pokemon from 4th gen to 5th gen, you will need to DS systems, but if it's between two 4th gen games or two 5th gen games, you could always try the GTS. That's more useful for using trading to evolve Pokemon, though.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
All Game Freak has to do is make EV's and IV's RANDOM and it would fix everything.
IVs are already "random," but any sort of computer program (like video games) can never be truly random, so there are "Random" Number Generators in the game to give the illusion of randomness. However, these can always eventually be reversed-engineered by those determined enough, which is why RNG abuse for IVs, nature, and shininess is possible. EVs of course aren't random, and there have been additions to the system over the years like Power items, vitamins, and the EV judge; they probably wouldn't want to take away something they've been expanding for quite some generations.

TL;DR: You can never have the same randomness in a videogame as you do with rolling a die in real life.

zerofield

i miss miror
I hope you realize that the people at smogon are extemely different from the dbz fanboys, in that they specialize in competetive battling as opposed to obsessing over every little detail of an anime. Smogon gets a lot of crap from people who dont know how the place works or people who dont understand the teiring process or whatever. Its a competetive battling community, and if you arent into competetive battling, you dont have to go there. There are some real jerks out there but hey, where aren't there people like that? Not every smogonite or competetive battler is an elitist. Knowing what you're talking about doesn't make you an elitist.

tl;dr: if you don't know what smogon is/does then don't hate on smogon.

And for those who think evs and ivs should be randomized or whatever, learn what evs are. That or dont say that the complex and interesting part of pokemon that makes strategic pvp possible should be removed.

Last edited:

Ciliano

First...

*Has a laugh at how Profesco's elitist-joking sig fits in this discussion*

Second, I'm just going to say that the people at Smogon know stuff. I haven't joined their community, and I don't plan to. Yet that doesn't change the fact that they make very many excellent recommendations on how to succeed in battling. Some of the people there may come off as elitist, but that doesn't mean that all the people who run the site are elitist.

The people at Smogon really know their stuff and they have really good strategies, but with this comes many problems. If you post in the forums and you are relatively unknown, you will be talked down to. There's no way around it. If you haven't made a name for yourself on the site, you will be treated as if you know nothing. Often times there are threads where you discuss a Pokemon. These are the most problematic. In my opinion, any Pokemon can work given the right support. A good strategy can be created for any Pokemon if you are willing to be creative. That's where a lot of Smogonites begin to come off as elitist. They look down on those that use gimmick sets as they see them as inexperienced and unintelligent. If you mention a creative moveset you will be considered a troll and/or a noob. So, Smogon is a great resource for basic strategies, but if you want to think out of the box with your strategies, don't talk about it on Smogon. In response to the OP: elitism isn't creeping anywhere. Its always been here and it won't be going anywhere. You'll find elitism in any community. It's a part of human nature to feel that one has higher status than another.

Last edited:

Cubones_Mother

Go Super Sandslash!
I have a few, including two with a Master ball!

Back in the good old days of Silver, I used my Master Ball on a Dratini. All because the Dragon Elder said " Dratini's are rare!"
In Sapphire, I never found the Master Ball.
Found a Shiny Ekans in Silver once, thought my game had problems, then tried to catch it. I failed and it was killed by my over-powered pokemon. I cried after I found out that Shiny Ekans is Green...

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
There's been elitism in Pokemon every since you ran into your rival in R/B, or when Gary Oak rolled up in the first episode of the anime.

Truth of the matter is, due to the Competitive nature of a Pokemon battle there will always be those who study up on it and want to become the best battlers because of it. Therefore, they will continue to attempt to use the best, while scoffing at lower tiered Pokemon (read: Meganium) and people who use them (read: Aquadon). What truly matters is if you really care what other people think about you using those lowered tier Pokemon, or if you want to continue playing with your favorites.

So does elitism exist? Sure it does. Does it matter? That depends on what your opinion on how to play the game is.

Jinvaani

Found a Shiny Ekans in Silver once, thought my game had problems, then tried to catch it. I failed and it was killed by my over-powered pokemon. I cried after I found out that Shiny Ekans is Green...

This made me laugh

And speaking of Silver, I traded EVERYTHING from Gold onto my original Silver cartridge; My original 2001 team (with silly nicknames); all the legendaries (dogs, birds, cloned celebi and mewtwo); gold noctowl; red gyarados and pretty much everything else that had any shred of sentimental value. Having switched the game on recently, I can tell you now that my Silver's battery has died, and as you have probably guessed, Gold is working perfectly fine. Turns out I could have sent everything over to Stadium 2 as well, so I could have kept it all on the N64 cart. Nevermind, I'm sure Typhlosion is having a nice time in cyberspace.

TerraWolf

Banned
Saying that Pokemon is becoming Elitist is like saying that you shouldn't farm for Pikmin in the Pikmin series. Or study for tests. The people who battle competitively and are good tend to study to learn more about Pokemon. And to be honest, that isn't wrong

pseudoman

As much as the people on Smogon know about pokemon, i do see that they do tend to miss things sometimes. I think that if they dedicated a section to their site about double or triple battling strategies then that would be fine.

As far as them being elitists... i do see some of the members being kind of harsh to others when they suggest a new strategy that might not work, or saying that x pokemon shouldnt be banned, or when someone argues that x pokemon can run x move very well because x, but thats comes expected when you talk about a place that is very competitive in nature.

The scientific community acts in the very same way, though they can be MUCH harsher there. I would say that everyone who has suggested a new way to produce energy or a new kind of material being better than x material has had the living crap bashed out of them and their idea until it is proven that it works.

Nonetheless, Smogon does have places where newer people can hang out and discuss strategies and express their opinions.

The hypocrisy going on in this thread is hysterical. *coughSHINYYANMEGGEcough*

Anyway, calling the people on Smogon elitist is like calling people who, as pkmner said, study for tests elitist because it's more picky than not studying.

Status
Not open for further replies.