• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profesco

gone gently
Is there some way you can, say, trade Pokemon into the Dream World or something from Diamond and Pearl then send them into Black and White, whilst only using one DSi?

Don't suppose there is, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Please ask in the Questions thread next time.

collapse

Banned
how to beat a smogon member- YOU USE DEH STRONGURR POKERMON LIKE DEH DRAGONITE!!!. but in all seriousness i'm kinda glad we have people like smogan, they raise the stakes you know what i'm saying

Last edited:
I don't think someone is really elitist if they aren't a jerk to people who don't know as much. They become elitist if they start to talk down to or make fun of those who don't know as much or those that want to learn. My 2 cents.

Rex Kamex

I wouldn't call the trend towards playing competitively elitist, collapse. Just like with real-life sports and games, where there are better ways and worse ways to win the competition, there are also better and worse ways to win a Pokemon battle. The strategists over at Smogon are simply the people who've done enough playtesting to figure out which ways of playing are better for wins and which are worse. Since Pokemon battles are highly contingent on math for their outcomes, the better ways to play to win are going to be far more precise, in fact, than they would be in real-life sports. So at least as far as just being a competitive player goes, there's nothing elitist about knowing what works and what doesn't.

Though I will say that, far too often, better knowledge comes with an assortment of particular character flaws, which include: arrogance, condescension, mockery, self-righteousness, overconfidence, and indeed elitism, to name a few. It's something all people struggle with, though, not just Pokemon players. *shrug*

Agreed.

O.O go to the debate room for that, also syrus, I wouldn't say your a jerk JUST because your an elitist

I don't believe being an elitist means it's merely knowing stuff. (even without knowing EVs and IVs, one could still have elitist/arrogant attitudes, although the person probably wouldn't necessarily be arrogant if they knew another person was EV training and such).

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Elitism was already here, but It can spread.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I wouldn't call the trend towards playing competitively elitist, collapse. Just like with real-life sports and games, where there are better ways and worse ways to win the competition, there are also better and worse ways to win a Pokemon battle. The strategists over at Smogon are simply the people who've done enough playtesting to figure out which ways of playing are better for wins and which are worse. Since Pokemon battles are highly contingent on math for their outcomes, the better ways to play to win are going to be far more precise, in fact, than they would be in real-life sports. So at least as far as just being a competitive player goes, there's nothing elitist about knowing what works and what doesn't.

Though I will say that, far too often, better knowledge comes with an assortment of particular character flaws, which include: arrogance, condescension, mockery, self-righteousness, overconfidence, and indeed elitism, to name a few. It's something all people struggle with, though, not just Pokemon players. *shrug*

Kind of summed it all up there.

If by Elitism you mean people who just know more about the game, the mechanics, Type Matchups, movesets, EVs and IVs, locations, etc. better than most, then yes. That is and has been present from the beginning of Pokemon; people that knew that Golbat was the best Pokemon if you wanted (I think it was) Critical Hits because that was based off of Speed in Red and Blue, people that knew the difference between Special and Physical in Ruby/Sapphire, and just people that knew that the Stats meant anything in any of the games. If by elitist you meant knowledgeable, then yes, it is and has been present.

But I don't think it's fair to think that these people who are knowledgeable are wrong, or are "too into" Pokemon. I personally pick up knowledge as I encounter it. I just don't forget it, so I am pretty close to being an elitist, but that doesn't mean that you should tell me "hey, chill the eff out. It's just a game." Sure, it is, but I mean, it's my game. It's the game I'm good at. Don't tell me that I'm "too into" it just because I know more about it than you do.

But if by elitist you mean the jerks that go running around, calling people "noobs" and generally just insult and look down on anyone who they deem to be not of their standards, then that is also present and has been for the longest time.

Only thing is, it is not a right reserved only for those who are knowledgeable of Pokemon. There are many people who are basically "noobs" but feel like they are the best and insult or look down upon others. Not only knowledgeable people in the game do this (although a fair amount do). With knowledge often comes arrogance but sometimes, just feeling like you are knowledgeable makes you become arrogant. And some people are just naturally arrogant; they don't need to know anything to become jerks.

But I could say this about sports teams, study groups, church groups, co-workers, any group or crowd of human beings. Arrogance seems to be something that mankind cannot get away from and there is always that guy or group that just stands above the others.

It's not just Pokemon, or metal archives, or Sonic/DBZ.

But that's if by elitist you meant the second one. If you meant the first one well, yeah. It's been there. Some people like the game more than you, or prefer to be knowledgeable. It's their right and shouldn't be looked down upon. And that's the wonder that is Pokemon; you have the option to do whatever you want in Pokemon. You can be Mr. Big Shot Pokemon League Legend and have a 100-0 win record or just be super knowledgeable on all things Competitive, or you can be that casual player that all around just loves Pokemon. And you're not really wrong either way.

ladykiwi

I love tights. <3
Anally retentive people like me actually enjoy RNGing stuff, planning movesets, EVs, and such. What's so bad about it? Nobody's forcing you to follow the "elitist" metagame.
And before someone pokes me with a stick, I do NOT play by smogon's rules.

Edit: hating on smogon for being elitist is like hating on serebii for the casual gamers. Do not generalize.

Shinx_

Hello.

Losing against Cynthia just because of my last pokemon missing and her's getting a critical hit... :( .

Same here.

I was battling the ghost gym leader in pearl and used tackle on her last pokemon which cost me the win. Ps: It was with my umbreon.

disposable_heroes

<- Best PKMN Ever
Mystery Dungeon.

Silver Trench, 50ish floor. Played as a Lv100 Swampert, and two Dewgongs come up on the screen. One uses Icy Wind, which is GUARANTEED to lower your speed when you get hit. I managed to KO one, when the other uses Sheer Cold.

"Swampert took calamitous damage!"
"Oh no! Swampert was defeated!"

And yes, in PMD, one hit KO moves can work even when your character is at a higher level. >_<

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
As much as the people on Smogon know about pokemon, i do see that they do tend to miss things sometimes. I think that if they dedicated a section to their site about double or triple battling strategies then that would be fine..
They do cover Doubles and Triples...a bit. They do VCG analysis, which have been Doubles for quite a few years, and quite a few champions have been Smogon members. There are discussions on GBU Triples, but that's understandably a minority of all competitive players.

jam2097

Should Game Freak Do Ruby and Sapphire Remakes?

So, we've now had R/B/Y and G/S/C remakes. On Masuda's twitter, he apparently said something on the lines of "thanks, I will consider that" wehn a fan asked him about R/S/E remakes. Would you buy them if Game Freak did make them? Or do you think they should be left alone? I personally would love the remakes.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
It is very unlikely for this to happen. My reasoning for this is; We could not get certain pokemon without these previously made games being remade (GSC, RB)

Shadow XD001

It is very unlikely for this to happen. My reasoning for this is; We could not get certain pokemon without these previously made games being remade (GSC, RB)

Um, there's HeartGold/SoulSilver that have Kanto and Johto Pokémon.

I do hope we get R/S Remakes and it makes sense, too. The only DS's that can play GBA games are the DS Phat & Lite and their old now and most people want a 3DS, anyway. Also, in Gen 3 we got Gen 1 remakes and in Gen 4 we got Gen 2 remakes. So why not have Gen 3 remakes in Gen 5?

jam2097

I see it as a money thing for Game Freak at the end of the day. HGSS was a success story and so would these remakes if they did them. But also, most fans are clamouring for themm me included!!

Gelatino95

Not a tool
All of the recent games are already backwards compatible with RSE. And the game mechanics aren't all that outdated either. HOWEVER, the big reason we need remakes is that there was no physical/special split in RSE. I say we need remakes for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.