• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys386

Deoxys Fan
Back when Pokemon was still relatively new, South Park did a Pokemon parody entitled "Chinpokomon".

Rakurai

I think I'm the opposite of a lot of people, in that the Pokemon of older gens are actually less memorable then the ones in the newer gens to me.

I more frequently find myself completely forgetting certain Pokemon from the first and second gens existed then any other.

Cobalt_Latios

What everyone in this thread fails to show is that every franchise has the fanatical fans, or purists if you will. Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Blizzard products, Bioware products, you name it. Some of these "purists" are worse than others. No matter what, there will always be extremist fans, and they will always uphold the old over the new and treat their opinions as facts. This same thing is seen in the music industry with practically every genre of music.
Pretty much the truth of the matter.

I do find it annoying though, that whenever I try and mention almost anything Pokemon related to other peers (be it in College or otherwise), it's either mockery (not so much anymore, but it's still prominent), or a bit of fanatical praise for gen 1. I attribute it more to the fact that they either, a) only watched the show and that's all they know of it, b) stopped playing the games after 1st gen and only know of that. Of course, I meet the rare few who know past 2nd and 3rd gen, but then everything just falls flat.

I blame it on brand recognition, but yeah.

Also, while it may be true that there's a lot more crazy fandoms, I've noticed that it's either Pokemon or Sonic for me. Don't actually know why, but that's what I've noticed.

Then again, it's the only 2 major franchises I've stuck with for so long, so maybe that's partly it.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Oh, good god, don't get me started on these nutcases. The denouncement of the current iteration of a series based on the original FIFTH being "better" just displays a lack of knowledge and common sense. A good number of people I have met who swear by this mindset left the fandom right around Gen II or III, and refuse to admit the quality of anything after the immediately prior generation. Yes, it's different. There's no reason to throw a fit over it. Just because Pokémon has evolved beyond what you had when you were younger does not give you an excuse to attack later parts of the series based solely on that fact. You make fools of yourselves when you do it, and ruin everybody else's day with your flaming.

I'm sorry, that got a bit out of hand, didn't it? Admittedly, most people who actually bothered to not jump ship the moment the fad ended have valid reasons for their belief in the superiority of earlier games. Most of the more rational ones can even avoid my wrath. I apologize for the straw man argument above, and I would like to point out that the internet (unfortunately, mostly in some of the cooler places I like to hang out around) seems to be saturated with people who saw a fad ending, and decided that if they couldn't enjoy it anymore (?), no one could. It's left me a tad embittered to them, as you can see.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Death does seem to be a danced-around subject in a lot of ways, doesn't it? I mean, ghosts and Pokémon Tower, notwithstanding, we are never told about the end of a Pokémon's natural life ending. Nuzlocke runs force it when a Pokémon faints, and fanfictions often look at this aspect of the Pokémon's life cycle. I don't think we're going to get a concrete answer to what an average Pokémon's lifespan is, but it does open up some interesting discussions.

rocky505

Watch Pokemon Heroes and play RGBY/FRLG/GSC/RSE/HGSS/BW all of those have had a pokemon graveyard of some sort.

Bro.

sexy and i know it.
Think of levels as their, Once they reach a certain age (level) they "grow up" (evolving)

It'd be awesome if they grew beards and their Speed Stat got lower and lower & the only move they could have was Yawn.

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
I think that they age, grow, and die like we do. And maybe as they evolve, their lifespan increases? If pokemon never died, they'd be a lot of level 100 caterpie in Viridian Forest...not to mention that with all the baby pokemon born, they'd quickly over populate the planet.

What I want to know is, are pokemon the only animals of the pokeverse or are there actual dogs and cats like in ours?

rocky505

What I want to know is, are pokemon the only animals of the pokeverse or are there actual dogs and cats like in ours?
There's a thread for this already and yes there are. You can see fish in the episode when Ash Brock and Misty arrive in Cerulean.

Haunter ゴースト

Obviously so, hence Cubone's mother in R/B/Y, Prehistoric Pokemon, Celebi (very nearly) in Mov 4, the Pokemon graveyard in Lavendar town and Alder's signature and best friend Pokemon of Black and White.

Bro.

sexy and i know it.
..And when they leveled up to like 80 in the middle of battle they forgot all their moves and started telling a story of when they were a baby Magikarp in the middle of the Ocean, They didn't have no fancy tech-no-logy back then!

No. 1 Machop Fan

Of course Pokemon die. They can't be immortal (except maybe a handful of legendary Pokemon).

In the Anime, Lucario (Lucario and the Mystery of Mew) and Grovyle (Mystery Dungeon Special) die, among others.

What kind of lazy question is this???
Of course pokemon die!

*points to ghost types, then to the graveyard area in each region, then to Cubone's mother, then to Latios and Lucario from the movies*

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
So no, there is no shortage of ideas.

Which is why the series has continued to this point, and will continue into the future. However there is a shortage of good ideas. If they could get away with it, I'm sure they would like to only have one evo line for each animal. Even if that's not the case, they would come under scrutiny if they tried to use even 10 species of ants, much less twenty two thousand. I know good is subjective, but with 650+ ideas taken designs may come out that are repetitive and ridiculous from any standpoint.

EDIT: Also i just read the posts about the series that keep the same structure. Mario, Zelda and FPS's arguably do this, along with Pokemon, which is a factor in their great success. However Sonic doesn't keep the same structure at all, it really should have, it's what the fans wanted, but it didn't. Werehog? Black Knight? Not too comparable with high speed 2D platforming.

Last edited:

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Well it's a touchy subject to say the least given part of the target demographic is small children. However with Lavender Town and some of the Ghost pokemon dex entries there is evidence to suggest they do.

abrar14

Statter Master
In american dad While Steve was remembering about he and his friends used to have sleepovers when they were little, a pink and purple Pikachu is seen on the t-shirt worn by his friend Toshi.

AJ

❖☢☼☯☾♛☮
you have to put that into context. do they like any other gens? do they want to get more familiar with one gen? or have they just enjoyed that gen soooo much they wont try anything else? once you answer these you can call them idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.