• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Xen-

It doesn't. He's just saying people will have their opinions, and will always argue over them

I know, I just misread.

It's kinda like the Pokemon/Call of Duty debate you see a lot. CoD isn't my cup of tea, but it's someone else's sugar fix, and I can respect that.

Profesco

gone gently
It was brought to my attention that one of the Republican (USA) candidates for President suspended his campaign. Yes, i know that a majority of the serebii members are in fact not from the USA, but its not about the USA really, its about the quote that he used. He used the quote from the song at the end of the movie by Donna Summers.

I can't believe it, Pokemon in the REAL World!

PS: if this is in the wrong spot, i didn't know where to put it, so if you should move it, please do! If not, just leave it!

PPS: I just realized i spelt his name wrong, its Cain, not Cane, silly me!

It's not in the wrong place, we just already had a thread covering it.

Profesco

gone gently
Okay me and some friends are looking to enter this years regional tournament and I have been looking at the official pokemon website and I can barley get any information from it. What in the world are championship points and how do they effect getting to go to nationals?

You're no true Scotsman!

Also, use the Pokemon Questions thread.

Ossus

Overseer
I walked into the wrong thread, and read all of this lol. One weird discussion.

Profesco

gone gently
A GDP mod moves this to the competitive section? Sorry, we don't want it either. Nothing to discuss. Pokemon is by far one of the most luck based and skill-less competitive games to ever reach the level of popularity it has.

I've lost to terrible players far worse than I ever have been and I've beat players far better than I ever will be. Playing Pokemon because you like it is fine.. We all come to this site for that reason. But to consider Pokemon a serious competitive game.. that's a joke.

Anon2

This. I'm allowed to have my tastes without being called biased.

Exactly. And if someone whines about it BECAUSE you have different taste than them, chances are that he/she IS a fanboy (not that I'm calling VibravaRules one).

By the way, everyone... regardless of opinion, the claim "They're running out of ideas" still doesn't have a leg to stand on and never did. That's a fact. It's also a fact that when people try to back it up, they whine about the most trivial things possible and go on irrelevant tangents about topics that have nothing to do with the discussion. That's the entire point I was making when I originally posted my thread (which merged with this one). Since I said everything I wanted to, I might not hang around this thread much longer...

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Some people tend to forget that Pokemon is an RPG, not Chess. RPGs have luck factors, that's just how they are, no use complaining about it.

sixonesix

VGC player
If they removed luck, the better players would always win.

This is not entirely true. A bad matchup can still make it hard for anyone to win regardless of skill level.

Luck is the only thing the worse player has to hope for.

This is completely not true. The whole point is to try to outplay the supposed better player and BECOME the better player. If you can't do this then naturally you should lose.

Yeah, uh, no.

No, the better play shouldn't always win. The weaklings sometimes need a chance. Anyway, truly skilled trainers should be able to overcome any challenge that blocks their way. You should be able to recover from an unlucky critical hit if you are truly strong.

That's bad for both a stronger player who loses AND a weaker player who wins. The stronger player gets cheated out of a win and the weaker player doesn't learn. If the weaklings "need" a chance they gotta MAKE one or figure out how to.

Why is this even a Problem in the first place?

We should play pokemon with the Luck Factor the same way we use TM's in BW.

Alway's.

If the Better Player always wins, then the Weaker player doesnt have any goals to set. The Weaker player wouldnt be able to learn from what he is doing wrong. If the better Player always Wins, That makes the weaker Player afraid of every other player better than they are, which isnt fair. The weaker player should ALWAYS have a fighting chance.

Repeating myself again; weaker player's goal is to figure out how to become the better player, people can learn from their mistakes, etc.

You do realize competitive Pokemon means nothing to GameFreak right?

they could care less if Smogon deemed Blaziken Uber, otherwise Random wifi would ban it too.

If by "competitive Pokemon" you mean "Smogon's metagame" (and only that) then yes, your post is pretty accurate. Otherwise, nah.

Now, @ Nishan:
Stop bringing irrelevant points.

Fight my arguments with logic, but you can't because my arguments are the truth and make sense.

Talking about chess or little kids doesn't change the fact that luck makes Pokemon noncompetitive.

Whether you guys like or not, its luck factor itself that makes Pokemon noncompetitive.

All luck needs to be removed.

The game mechanics need to be fixed.

lol, Pokemon is taken seriously and there are even Pokemon tournaments, so the all luck must be removed in order to make it a 100% competitive game.

Yes, Pokemon is not a good competitive game. In fact, it blows my mind sometimes how a game as noncompetitive as this can enjoy such a large and avid tournament scene. But you know what, that's what you and I and everyone else signed up for when we got into it. The game does not "need" to be anything other than what it currently is. If you want skill > luck all the time pick up a fighter.

Kotone

Everyone uses the same pokemon anyway (ferrothorn, scizor..etc) it would be boring if they took out the luck factor IMO . I also love how people act like professors and try to make their opinions seem like facts

Last edited:

Hatsune Miku

lol, how does this make logical sense?

The better player should not always win? LOL!

So occasionally the weaker player should win because of a coincidence and not through the labor of his/her skill/work?

That is such flawed logic. That against human nature! If you ask anyone, they would always say in any competition the more skilled player should always beat the weaker player.

Its common sense.

lol, the weaklings are supposed to be weaklings. Thats why they are weaklings. They are supposed to lose in a competitive game.

weaklings = losers.

To have a weakling beat a more skilled player because of dumb luck is illogical and noncompetitive.

For all those who mentioned the OHKO, I'm pretty sure Nintendo or the makers of Pokemon can fix whatever the problems are while removing all the luck elements from the game mechanics in order to make the game 100% competitive.
uhh i train pokes that are shiny to lv 100 then battled on random matchup

i beat someone with 4 stars on 3v3 single battles soo. its all because of luck with burns and freezing

Last edited:

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
it is not competitive to me but more on leisurely 'brainless' gameplay.

most of the time i do not even need to think much in battle. but in starcraft is a different matter. and of course it is brain power consuming.

luck factor? i like it. even though it can be unfair but i like the chances of additional effects or accuracy base attacks. it can hit or not will determine how the battles end.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I always laugh when somebody says "the luck factor should be removed" because they always say that it makes the game all about luck, instead of skill. Which is not true. Only the unskilled demand that luck not be a factor, because it proves they don't have the stones to handle it. A skilled player can handle being unexpectedly put into an unlucky situation. A game without the "luck factor" is a game for players without the desire to develop skill. A game of skill involves luck. Any authority on strategy will tell you that luck is ALWAYS a factor.

The truly skilled learn to accept bad luck as it comes their way, take it in stride, and still try to win. The better player is the one who accepts that he won't always win despite being better; not the one who thinks he deserves to always win because he's better.

Besides, even if you omit lucky crits; confusion and attraction; accuracy and evasion; and other elements of luck, you still have to deal with non-RNG luck. In other words, your opponent's strategy is not something that you will always be able to read.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I was training this Togepi I hatched and I had it holding a Lucky Egg. I had it use Metronome, and it used...Fling. Sayonara, Lucky Egg.

I'd have been far more upset if that Treasure Hunter didn't find another one.

At least it happens in B/W, where getting more Lucky Eggs is easy.

I got that happened in HG, with my Mew's Metronome. The only way to get another Lucky Egg is to wait for another Chansey swarm (which could take days), and even then I have to Trick repeatedly until I got one. And it has only 5% chance to hold a Lucky Egg......

Mantis

Why not remove accuracy from moves and add evasion stat to every pokemon??

Faster pokemon = more evasion he has.

Lucky base will still be here but much more logical IMO. ;)

okay....soo one day i come home from school to see that my dog got into my games and took my favorite gb game....pokemon yellow i look for my dog only to find my pokemon yellow in pieces all over the floor and my dog with a look of innocence on his face...i emmidiately bought another cody IN THE BOX! via ebay haha. once it got to my house a week and something later i began to play it as any other pokemon lover would. god knows how many hours i spent playing this game making sure i "caught'em all"...well at least all i could until i was ready to face the elite four..that day rolls areound and i get out of bed...brush my teeth..ya no...the normal routine...and i begin to play and i go to face the elite four...now..brace yourself for what i'm about to say...its..rough...so i'm sitting at the kitchen table ...and i lay my gameboy down ...right beside the tall thin plastic cup i was pooring milk into and i did this with 1 hand clicking buttons on the gameboy and one hand holding a heavy gallon of milk...now i didnt hold the cup..or watch what i was doing...and...well lets just say i threw away my milk-soaked gameboy and pokemon yellow....i then bugun kicking and punching things... haha bad times with pokemon yellow...

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Why not remove accuracy from moves and add evasion stat to every pokemon??

Faster pokemon = more evasion he has.

Lucky base will still be here but much more logical IMO. ;)

You didn't play First Generation, I take it? Back in 1st Gen, Speed was used in the calculation for critical hit ratios. Pokemon like Persian would get nearly constant critical hits with moves like Slash. There's a reason why it was changed in Second Generation. Evasion is that, but taken to an entirely new extreme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.