• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Try an Electrode with Electro Ball after paralyzing ALL the opponents pokemon. Base power? 150 WITHOUT STAB!

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
But spitup is special, and Belly Drum raises attack.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Eeeeeeexactly. As you can see, every generation has Pokemon based on inanimate objects.

Generation 1: Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Koffing, and Weezing.

Generation 2: Pineco, Forretress, and Corsola.

Generation 3: Seedot, Lunatone, Solrock, Baltoy, Claydol, Chimecho, Beldum, Metang, and Metagross.

Generation 4: Drifloon, Drifblim, Bronzor, Bronzong, Magnezone, and Rotom.

Generation 5: Roggenrola, Boldore, Gigalith, Trubbish, Garbodor, Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe, Ferroseed, Ferrothorn, Klink, Klang, Klinklang, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, and Cryogonal.

Okay, I admit, Generation 5 has the most inanimate objects. But I still can't see why people are complaining about them. Some inanimate Pokemon have nice designs, and others have great stats and movepools (such as Ferrothorn and Chandelure). Plus, every generation has at least SOME Pokemon based on inanimate objects. So why the complaints, Genwunners?

Because people naturally have prejudices that extend far back in their life. It is a normal part of the human condition for people to shun things that seem foreign to them. Most of the world is like this. And it extends into many facets of life. People grow up being really attached to something and are unwilling to change when their fandom or culture starts to change. It is not always easy to explain, nor is it always rational that they act like this. Why are most cultures around the world xenophobic and unwilling to change? Why have people for centuries (and still today) been so racist? People are averse to things that challenge their worldview and what they are comfortable with. It will always be part of human nature. There is nothing unusual about this. And your last remark proves my point about the opposition being more arrogant now.

(·-·)(o_O)

oh hai there
Well it's either they hate the designs and new pokemon or genwunners. But I like all of the new gen pokemon and I don't know why people need to hate them, can't they just say that they like other gens better instead of saying "I hate all of these new pokemon!" ?
Seriously, you're hurting the gen 5 pokemon's feelings.

AmericanPi

Write on
Because people naturally have prejudices that extend far back in their life. It is a normal part of the human condition for people to shun things that seem foreign to them. Most of the world is like this. And it extends into many facets of life. People grow up being really attached to something and are unwilling to change when their fandom or culture starts to change. It is not always easy to explain, nor is it always rational that they act like this. Why are most cultures around the world xenophobic and unwilling to change? Why have people for centuries (and still today) been so racist? People are averse to things that challenge their worldview and what they are comfortable with. It will always be part of human nature. There is nothing unusual about this.

I know, we've seen this time and time again, but it's always wrong. Not liking the newer generations just because it's new and different is almost the same as disliking people of other races or backgrounds. You acknowledge this, and yet you don't do anything?

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
I know, we've seen this time and time again, but it's always wrong. Not liking the newer generations just because it's new and different is almost the same as disliking people of other races or backgrounds. You acknowledge this, and yet you don't do anything?

I'm not necessarily saying their beliefs are justified. I'm just saying that to try and change the minds of these people is an exercise in futility. I can preach to the KKK until my face is blue and it still won't change their minds. Why would I waste my time with them? People get so uppity about others being so close minded. If they are as close minded as you say, then what's their opinion worth to you? They're obviously too stupid to be persuaded or see other points of view.

Last edited:

joep05

master of disaster
i dont mean to come across as a negative nancy but personally, i feel like pokemon is dragging on a bit (although i still like it and play it, it really does just feel "stale"), and personally there were not many pokemon that i liked from this generation, i think its just a lack of originality with many of them and a failure to make the bulk of them unique in some way, makes them not so interesting. i liked emboar, sawk, chandelure, conkeldurr, braviary, klinklang, eelektross, hydreigon, volcarona and thats about it from this generation.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Articuno_rocks said:
Eeeeeeexactly. As you can see, every generation has Pokemon based on inanimate objects.

Generation 2: Pineco, Forretress, and Corsola.

I don't mean to be a know-it-all, but these guys are all technically based on animals. Pineco and Forretress are based on bagworm larvae, which are a type of moth (apparently they live inside pinecones), and corals are actually created by tiny anemone-like animals that secrete layers of calcium, making a coral reef over time. Sorry, just wanted to point that out.

But yes, you're right, a lot of people seem to be put off by new Pokemon whenever they come out. I'll admit that I'm usually not too fond of most of the designs when I first see them, but they eventually grow on me. Several of my new favorite Pokemon are from the 5th gen. I think people just need to learn to cast their doubts aside until they've played the games themselves and can make an objective judgment (not likely to happen, but whatever).

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Unown are from gen 2, and they're based on hieroglyphics. Hieroglyphics are inanimate.

AmericanPi

Write on
I don't mean to be a know-it-all, but these guys are all technically based on animals. Pineco and Forretress are based on bagworm larvae, which are a type of moth (apparently they live inside pinecones), and corals are actually created by tiny anemone-like animals that secrete layers of calcium, making a coral reef over time. Sorry, just wanted to point that out.

Wow, someone who knows more biology than me... I thought I was good, but then again, I'm only in 9th grade. I thought Pineco was just a pinecone, but thanks for the clarification.

@TA: Whoops, totally forgot about Unown... I thought I had all of them. >_< Yeah, Unown is based on an inanimate object, too.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
i remember a time when venusaur was the most inferior kanto starter, charizard was always a hot favourite if you'll pardon the pun and blastoise started out great, but as the generations got on and pokemon like milotic were introduced, sadly blastoise is pretty obsolete nowadays, charizard is just as popular and OU as ever, but its venusaur that has been surprisingly "awakened" and asserted as a real threatening pokemon (alongside charizard), i guess what ima sayin' is i would probably be guilty of criticising someone who would use a blastoise, thing is good logic states that what i put before about blastoise being more or less obsolete is probably correct (although its a matter of opinion, im far from the only one that thinks it), you choose pokemon because you like the pokemon themselves. my friends favourite pokemon is blastoise (and raichu) and no matter what game we get, he will ALWAYS integrate those 2 (and usually zapdos) within his team, not that good or smart and presumably pretty boring to have the same pokemon over and over on each game, and when we battle i always annihilate him because i know half the pokemon he will use :D, but he likes to use them and i respect that, i guess battles speak louder than words :p, my sister would also always integrate her favourite pokemon too... a feraligatr named "fergy", an ampharos named "amphy" and a gyarados named "gary" needless to say its more or less the same story as with my friend (who both happen to have a deep fondness for water and electric i notice...like me).

i have actually created a fighting type team that i am very fond of consisting of

machamp
scrafty
sawk
heracross
lucario
conkeldurr

im fond of all of them, think they're all great battlers and have a personal fondness to each of them (bar scrafty) too, pretty obvious why scrafty is on board. usually im fond of great battlers, couldnt care less about appearance or anything like that, if they battle well, i'll like them.

Blastoise is actually pretty formidable with it's DW ability in rain. Max HP and add defensive EV's and give it Aqua Ring and leftovers. Not baaad

who in the right mind would oppose that? dusknoir is like the ghost prince (you'll notice i didnt say king...that goes to gengar)

I think the title would go to Dusclops with Eviolite.

People don't like Breloom, Jirachi, Ferrothorn and Terrakion very much.

Because they're actually good pokemon to use.

Last edited:

xDWarrior

I don't hate the new gens. Sure I prefer 1 and 2, but not for nostalgia. I just like the designs and regions better. That said, every generation has good designs and bad designs. Everybody has a favorite.

Aizle Syracuse

Cannot fly.
My entire team which is: Primeape, Charizard, Feraligator, Absol, Roserade, and Nidoking.

I'd always thought that Nidoking and Roserade were conventionally acceptable... o.o Huh. I suppose I stand corrected

I like to use Weavile, Glaceon, Dusknoir, Walrein, Drifblim, Hitmontop, Sharpedo, and Sableye; for these transgressions, I have been scoffed at by a good number of people. Of course, a victory is often all the more rewarding when won against persons of that sort. c:

Last edited:

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Articuno_rocks said:
Wow, someone who knows more biology than me... I thought I was good, but then again, I'm only in 9th grade. I thought Pineco was just a pinecone, but thanks for the clarification.

No problem. Actually, I'm not that well-versed with biology (I am a bio major, but only recently switched it from Japanese, so I have a lot of learning to do). I just happened to remember that Pineco's species name is the "Bagworm Pokemon." And to add to your list, Cofagrigus is also based on an inanimate object (although sarcophagi do have once-living people inside...).

Anyway, to stay on topic, I don't get why people look at newer Pokemon like Vanilluxe and Trubbish and state that Game Freak is "running out of ideas." If anything, they've introduced new ideas, because we didn't have any ice cream or trash bag Pokemon before. There's only so much you can do with birds/dogs/rodents before going a little more far-out with your designs. And from what I've heard, the developers have ideas for well over 1000 Pokemon, so I don't think the wellspring of creativity for new Pokemon is going to run dry anytime soon.

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
I don't get it either, people say the names are bad, it's the same name formula it's always been (two words related to the pokemon blended together). People say they're bad looking, but there's always been a good mix since day one *cough magmarjinxmrmime cough*. They say they've turned into digimon, yet they don't exist in the digital space, lack the word mon, can't speak, and aren't loaded to the teeth with highly destructive weapons, nor do they revert back to their original state when tired, nor do they fuse with other pokemon or their trainers. People say they look stupid and unoriginal: the literal spirit of victory, a smug and fancy snake, a volcanic camel, a metallic penguin knight, a tortoise that carries plants on its back, vs the so clearly inspired two coloured ball, rock with arms, magnets with eyes, a shell with eyes, and a couple of eggs. People say a lot of things, people aren't always right or smart

Synergy

I don't hate all the new gen pokemon XD Just most of them. I liked the majority of the last gen too so its not because i started playing with gen I. I just think... their really just... blah. Their are cooler fake pokemon made by fans than what i saw in that game. However their are always a few pokemon i dislike in every gen. Their was just more this gen then usual. Also hated the game u.u soulsilver was so epic and then i got mad excited by black and white only to be disappointed terribly.

Codeepfly

MyCaruba
Pokemon pedometer

Heartgold and soul silver introduced the pedometer to the game. I used it and found it fun but some of it just a gimmick. Did you enjoy it or find it pointless?

Status
Not open for further replies.