• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
As it has been mentioned before, I also find it annoying that something like Smogon can decide what Pokemon you can use or not. If I want to use a friggen Garchomp I should be able too. Now someone will come and say ''Everyone would use it'', Nope, just like MugoUrth said, Smogon decides how each Pokemon is supposed to played or not. I do my own sets and the supposedly RU or NU Pokemon of their beat the crap out of OU and Ubers.

Except they can't decide that, it's your choice to play by Smogon rules or not.

randomspot555

My point exactly! Like all things, a Moody Bibarel has counters, and any prankster taunt user can disable them. Heck - you don't even need a Prankster - taunt will do it if you sacrafice another turn destroying the sub. Besides, bibarel is so slow anyway.

The fact that is has counters is completely irrelevant. If every team is essentially forced to carry Roar or Whirlwind on it to counter the threat, then that pretty much is good evidence that it overcentralizes the game, similar to Garchomp in early Gen 4 where every team was starter+Garchomp+3 Garchomp "counters"+filler.

Warlord Mitsuhide

Rogue Warrior
I generally like smogon's rules. If they ban something, they have their reasons, don't they?

Ohitsdylan

I don't think it's fair how my poor defenseless blaze blaziken is forced into the savage uber tier :'(

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Keep in mind Smogon's rules and tiers are based on using a simulator like Pokemon Online. The simulator can do checks like forcing you to play Ubers if you got D+SS on your team. WiFi you basically need a gentleman's agreement pre-match and outline the rules (especially because a lot of Wi-Fi battlers are a bit on the casual side).

Limiting that ability combo to one tier I find rather dumb.
But that does not mean that Smogon's rules "suck". If they did, then people wouldn't be using them.

What really bothers me, though, is that many aren't willing to change the rules by which they play once in awhile.
Yeah, sure, you can continue using your UU team, but we mutually agree that I can use my OU team this one match and you whine and complain when I win...? :/

I don't think it's fair how my poor defenseless blaze blaziken is forced into the savage uber tier :'(

I know how you feel. But it's for simplicity.
Actually, many people I've battled are willing to let you use a Blaziken (with Blaze) against an OU or UU team. They understand the unfairness of having to change the tier of an entire Pokémon solely because of its (optional) ability.

Last edited:

*IZ*

People dickride smogon too much. It's annoying. Everyone uses the same movesets that smogon has. I do my own thing, I don't follow the same movesets. Sometimes I've gotten my life threatened (on PO) because I beat someone with an "unpredictible set".

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
In my opinion those who do not like smogon rules are those who do not comprehend smogon rules. Smogon has made our lives as competitive battlelers easier, not to mention made us possible diferent ways of competitive dividing in various tiers.
If it wasn't for smogon you'd see ever competitive battle be just an overload of ubbers and banned moves such as mind read+Sheer cold.
Thank god that a good % of people play by smogon rules.

darthscyther123

I know how you feel. But it's for simplicity.
Actually, many people I've battled are willing to let you use a Blaziken (with Blaze) against an OU or UU team. They understand the unfairness of having to change the tier of an entire Pokémon solely because of its (optional) ability.

This is what happens when people actually talk to each other :) If people don't like Smogon rules, they can find someone who doesn't mind not using them.

To the haters: all 649 pokemon get their chances in Smogon. They even found a way to make Rattata and Aron threatening. If your favorite didn't get a good rating, it may not be Just, but it was certainly Fair.

rocky505

What's odd is how smogon banned auto weather abilities from anything below ou just because hippo jr and snover got their new abilities. Blaziken already had an ability to use besides SB. So why did they ban hippo jr's and snover's ability and not just ban SB blaziken.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
While i dont care that much,I could go without the weather centered teams.Everything is now used under rain,sandstorm or sun>.>Gameplay has becomes extremely boring in my opinion.

Whilst irrelevant to the thread,I know exactly what you mean:infinite weather effects wreck chances of fulfilling anything that battle.
And getting rid of it just becomes the match in itself,with Politoed and Ninetales switching in and out over and over....weather teams are never fun to battle(N's probably will however).

It's interesting how this thread branched out:intially,I had 2 questions that were quickly answered.
I'm surprised to see how this has developped!

Sometimes I've gotten my life threatened (on PO) because I beat someone with an "unpredictible set".
Really?What with?
I doubt all smogon users are like this however.

To the haters: all 649 pokemon get their chances in Smogon. They even found a way to make Rattata and Aron threatening. If your favorite didn't get a good rating, it may not be Just, but it was certainly Fair.
FEAR Aron are so annoying-it can take a "standard" (i.e.smogon) Garchomp down pretty easily now that I think about it.
Furret and Ledian both have their talents-Smogon has no recommendations for them-I don't think they're that bad,and still deserve a mention.

using legendary pokemon are cowardous

who agrees, im not talking like using one or 2 legandiries that are actaully catchable in the game. i talking about cheating to get a party of 6 of em and making them level 100 so they wont loose

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
I wouldn't call them cowards. If you're talking about in-game, then no. First of all, it's a choice whether someone wants to use Legendaries or not. Second, everybody uses a legendary at some point.

If it's over wifi or on PO or something like that, then I still wouldn't call them cowards but I think that is considered cheating if the tier isn't Uber.

Estellise

peachy
I wouldn't call them cowards. If you're talking about in-game, then no. First of all, it's a choice whether someone wants to use Legendaries or not. Second, everybody uses a legendary at some point.

If it's over wifi or on PO or something like that, then I still wouldn't call them cowards but I think that is considered cheating if the tier isn't Uber.
My thoughts exactly.

Pikachu 1995

Master Explorer
I'm using mostly Mew in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Sky in category legendaries.

It's only cheating if you own Pokémons that doesn't appear in the game. Like having Mewtwo while he doesn't appear in the game at all.
Darkness and Time versions had that situation with Mewtwo and Celebi seperate from each other...

IT'S NOT CHEATING UNLESS YOU OWN POKEMON BY USING CHEATCODES!! Simple...

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Unless you're talking about hacking currently unreleased Pokemon like Genesect into your game, then no. Even then, I wouldn't consider it cowardly, just cheating.

If you want to use six Legendaries in your ingame team, that's perfectly fine. Everyone can play the way they want in their own game.

im talkin about if somone battles you over wireless or somthin, and they lost so every other time you battle instead of using their own pokemon they would hype up their legendaries, that they cheated to get, to level 100, when u worked hard the train yours. my friend does that because he doesnt want to loose. its annoying really. the other day me and 3 of my friends we playing our game and he came up with his legends and one of my other friends called him a coward. at the time i guess it sounded wrong to do that

darthscyther123

@Archstaraptor

If you feel that Furret and Ledian have a niche in competitive battles, then you should develop a set and post it on Smogon forums, or train them and test them yourself. Fans of lesser-used pokemon who post sets are the ones who can bring them out of obscurity. That's how certain pokemon rise in popularity. I have nothing against any pokemon (except Alakazam >_>) and I love it when someone smacks my team with a lesser-used pokemon-- it makes me a better trainer.

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
im talkin about if somone battles you over wireless or somthin, and they lost so every other time you battle instead of using their own pokemon they would hype up their legendaries, that they cheated to get, to level 100, when u worked hard the train yours. my friend does that because he doesnt want to loose. its annoying really. the other day me and 3 of my friends we playing our game and he came up with his legends and one of my other friends called him a coward. at the time i guess it sounded wrong to do that

Umm, no, it's still not cowardly, just cheating. He probably used Action Replay or Gameshark or something to get his levels up that fast (Third time I had to type up fast with out typing fats instead). It actually all depends on the tier. If you and your friends were using regular pokemon and he was using legendaries, then that is cheating.

Look at me, I know nothing about battling outside of a game and I'm giving lectures about it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.