• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

.:NobleArcanine:.

Thoroughly Wicked
I was seven when Pokémon Red came out and I loved it. I loved it then, I love it now. Seriously, though, Black/White 2 is the smoothest and well-playing Pokémon game yet.

Also genwunners annoy the living crap out of me.

Ilan

genwunners are annoying shouldn't annoy people who like changes if they think gen 5 "broke pokemon" just keep on playing gen 3 games what's the problem?

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
black 2 advice help :)

Hey guys,

I need help with how to raise Pokemon from catching them to being lvl 100 killing machines aha!

Basicly I don't have any knowledge on how to make a competitive team,

Do you just train them to lvl 100 and hope for the best?

What do you DO , I just can't grasp what it is you do!

I've looked up guides but they all stuff like :

For example:

Zoruark,
something nature ,
Spd, 135, atk 215

so confused?!!!!

Anyone?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Basically,

KOing any Pokemon in an area where you would obtain Exp. for doing so gives your Pokemon values called EVs. The EVs given are dependent on the Pokemon; for example, a Basculin gives 2 Speed EVs.

A Pokemon can have up to 510 EVs total, and up to 255 in a single stat. Four EVs raise a stat one point at Lv. 100, and less at lower levels. Once a Pokemon has 510 EVs, it will not gain any more unless EVs are removed (using either Berries or certain Join Avenue shops).

So, if Smogon's analysis of Zoroark recommends an EV spread of 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe, that means you should ideally use a Zoroark with those EVs.

I would recommend reading up on this before trying anything.

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
Well that's very helpful!! Thank you!!

So basicly, I'll have to sort out which Pokemon I want , I.e what team strategy etc

Then once I've found 6 that I want, find good builds, then battle the right pokes till they all have 510 evs,

Then viola ? :)

randomspot555

Most people build a team and then pick Pokes to fit the team, rather than pick Pokes and then try to shoehorn them into a team.

If you haven't at least beaten gotten all the TMs and gained access to the Daycare, you probably shouldn't even worry about competitive battling until that point.

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
What do you mean? Build a team?

Then pick pokes,

Do you mean pick a team strategy and have an idea of what team you WANT to make? I.e mirror room, etc?

People usually decide what kind of team they'll have, such as a Drizzle team or a Wish team then pick Pokes that fit their team strategy.

Hope I helped. ^u^

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
you did thanks :) it makes sense!

Didn't realise how much work goes in, I thought it was just raising the required pokes to lvl 100

then teaching it the right moves and giving it the right items!

Glad I now know about EV's :)

randomspot555

Most competitive players use battle simulators such as Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown and just entirely skip the raising process of competitive Pokemon. Even if you are determined to do it within your game cart, this can at least let you test teams before you go through the process of raising them.

But before you do any of this, you need to have a firm understanding of the basic mechanics of competitive battling such as EVs, IVs, natures, abilities, physical/special split, and all that jazz. While this Introduction is written with Gen 4 in mind, it is still very useful and mostly still relevant. There are also guides on SPPF's Competitive Discussion forum.

ArceusAlpha493

Benevolent Creator
Ugh, genwunners, I have encounted some of them on Pokecommunity once. On one of the threads, I commented on the favorit gen, and that my favorite was Giratina and the other main six legendaries of the fourth generation, this one member had the nerve to bash my opinion and attacks it and saying I have no right to my opinion. There can be some nasty genwunners out there. I just don't get those who bash other opinions and state theirs as a fact.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
I was into pokemon when it was new and only gen 1 was out, but I think those people are stupid.

I mean, I agree with them to some extent. A LOT of the pokemon in 5th gen are stupid, like Vanilluxe and Garbodor and whatnot. But at the same time, Gen 1 had things like Muk. What is that? Please don't say an animal, because it's not. It's just a toxic blob of waste. Garbodor is pretty similar, just based on a different type of waste. Granted, I think Muk is better due to his simplicity, but those 2 aren't that far off from each other, so to say those kinds of things weren't around in Gen 1 is a little overboard.

And things like Hitmonlee? From the first time I saw it until now, I think it looks utterly stupid. It looks like a slab of meat with arms and legs; a walking steak.

The claims of uncreativity in the later generations...Look at ratata. What the capital f is so creative about that? It's a purple mouse. It looks just like a rat. Put it in a random cartoon to someone who doesn't know pokemon, and surely they'd be fooled into thinking it's just a typical rat in cartoon form.

I think these people who think gen 1 is the best are mainly just nostalgic, because they're arguments for why gen 1 is so supremely superior - to the point that gen 1 (and/or 2) is awesome and all the others are horrible rather than simply taking a strong preference to gen 1 over the rest - are just so...Not right....Like I said, arguments about stupid looking pokemon or uncreative pokemon or whatever as a reason to have so much contempt for recent gens while holding such endearment towards the first one or 2 just seem ridiculous, unthoughtful, and way overboard.

Personally, I've gone through the Pokedex before and made a list of all the pokemon I think are pretty neat and would genuinely want to befriend if they were real and what Gen they're from. Here's how many per generation, including individual pokemon in the same evolutionary line if I liked them:

Gen 1: 9
Gen 2: 8
Gen 3: 7
Gen 4: 17
Gen 5: 12

Granted, some of the ones from earlier gens are missing some pokemon that I still have more liking than usual (like Eevee and Starmie) that just didn't seem like real favorites , and some of the ones from later gens have some included that don't really seem as appealing but were included because they seemed alright (like Salamance and Boldore).

Clearly, given how many pokemon there are, I don't find too many of them very desirable. But there's really not a huge gap for each generation (10 more pokemon than the previous generation compared to the ~100 that were added isn't too much). So, as far as not finding pokemon too aesthetically appealing, I can agree with those people a little - though it applies even to earlier generations, not just later ones. But there were just so many 1st gens (as an example) that I found very unappealing - ratata/raticate, weedle, hitmonlee, machoke/machamp, mankey/primeape, tangela...I could go on.

And then to have them deny the awesome pokemon outside of Gen 1/2? Staraptor is my favorite Bird Pokemon. It's hard for me to see how Pidgeot could be considered cooler...And even from 5th gen, pokemon like Carracosta and Haxorus are just awesome.

I can understand if people like Gen 1 and 2 more, even if part of the reason is nostalgia. But I can't help but think people who just worship Gens 1/2 yet incessantly and mercilessly bash and completely disregard 5th gen are idiots, even knowing that it's an opinion. Their reasoning is just downright crap and you can find almost as stupid pokemon in Gen 1 as you can in Gen 5.

giratina519

ra ra ra IERUKANA?!
Pokemon is Pokemon; it's all the same to me, and while there are some I like more than others, they all play an important role in the series

New games

Are they going to make a new game soon? Like how they made a Black 2.

It would be pretty cool if they made a Silver/Gold 2 or Fire Red/Green 2.

NoogietheMBP

Good Tourny Prize?

Hey all,
Two friends of mine and I are going to battle around Christmas with pokemon crystal games using Stadium 2, and I'm trying to think of a fun prize for the champion seeing as it is the holidays and all.
I'd like to not spend more than 20ish dollars for the prize, but I'm stuck on what would be good.
I don't really have any ideas at this point. I really like pokemon, but I haven't played in years until I picked my Crystal back up a few months ago, so I'm kinda out of touch as to what is cool now.
Any good ideas for the prize?
Thanks!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
This could ends up being a future game speculation thread.

Which is not allowed by the rules, sorry :)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Genwunners fail to realize that generation 1 had its fair share of "unoriginal Pokemon."
Muk is a bigger Grimer, and Grimer is just a pile of sludge and trash.
Magneton is 3 Magnemite.
Dugtrio is 3 Diglett.
Tauros is just a real-life bull with 3 tails.
Charizard: A fire-breathing flying lizard is a tired concept.

Not to mention voltorb is just a pokeball with eyes, and electrode is a big voltorb flipped over. I won't argue on foongus and amoongus here.

Status
Not open for further replies.