• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

>>>> Closed Thread Container <<<<

Do you play with Nuzlocke rules?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No...

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • What the hell is Nuzlocke?

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto B1tch

new starter trio type

I've read in a site at internet (I can't remember its name, it's been so long), that when Nintendo runs out of idea to create a trio made of grass, fire and water starters, they might create a trio with new types that are also type-balanced. The person then suggested that the trio could be composed of psychic, fighting and dark starters because...

*psychic defeats fighting;
*fighting defeats dark;
*dark defeats psychic;

I personally liked the type of this trio, in spite of I still prefer the grass fire water starters because we have been getting used to them so many generations ago, it was going to be a hard time adapting to new trios.

Ver-mont

No, this has been discussed before.

Psychic/Fighting/Dark is not a perfect triangle like Grass/Fire/Water, since each type should be super effective against other and not very effective against the one left.

The fact that Psychic deals no damage against Dark ruins the triangle by itself.

Rennon

Revisiting Trainer
Dark is immune to Psychic it would be unfair if you chose Psychic and your Rival chose Dark.
Also the starter typing follows Rock-Paper-Scissors. Basically:

Scissors wins against paper but is resistant to itself and Rock resists it
Paper wins against Rock but is resistant to itself and Scissors resisits it
Rock wins against scissors but is resistant to itself and paper resists it

Fighting is neutral to itself. Fire-Water-Grass triangle are the only types that follows this perfectly

randomspot555

I've read in a site at internet (I can't remember its name, it's been so long), that when Nintendo runs out of idea to create a trio made of grass, fire and water starters, they might create a trio with new types that are also type-balanced. The person then suggested that the trio could be composed of psychic, fighting and dark starters because...

*fighting defeats dark;
*dark defeats psychic;

I personally liked the type of this trio, in spite of I still prefer the grass fire water starters because we have been getting used to them so many generations ago, it was going to be a hard time adapting to new trios.

Besides that it isn't simlar to Fire/Grass/Water, those types are fairly abstract and hard to imagine while it is easy to logically conclude why Fire is strong against Grass and weak against Water.

The only other type triangle that really works is Fighting, Flying, and Rock. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold up quite as good because none of that trio resists their own type of moves.

Again, this is a case of don't fix what isn't broken.

EonDragonFTW

how about Fire Steel Rock?

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I've read in a site at internet (I can't remember its name, it's been so long).

Regardless of what website it was, it has no ties to Game Freak and does not know what is best for the Pokémon series.

that when Nintendo runs out of idea to create a trio made of grass, fire and water starters,

Never going to happen.

they might create a trio with new types that are also type-balanced.

As the starters secondary typing maybe but the primary typing will always be grass, fire and water.

The person then suggested that the trio could be composed of psychic, fighting and dark starters because...

*fighting defeats dark;
*dark defeats psychic;

Yeah this person clearly has no idea what the whole point of making the starter grass, fire and water.

The reason why it won't change is because it's easy to teach new comers the typing chart, even if they haven't played any JRPG.

Steel
Rock
Ice

Doesn't work since rock doesn't resist Ice or itself, furthermore Steel has an unfair advantage since it strong against both Rock and ice.

Last edited:

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I like this one:

Fire beats steel, steel beats rock, and rock beats fire. They also resist themselves, so this does work.

No the Fire/Steel/Rock doesn't work since they all share a common weakness, Ground and fighting for Steel/Rock.

With the Grass/Fire/Water there is no overlap in term of weakness, remember it's meant to ease newcomers to learn the typing chart.

EonDragonFTW

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Last edited:

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
There is no need to change the starter trio types, Grass/Fire/Water is a perfect triangle that works, and it's a longtime tradition for the franchise, even if the three are basic RPG elements.

TheMaster327

All of you are saying Rock, which in fact is neutral against itself. It's only resisted because most Rock types have Ground as their secondary type... Check Sudowoodo or Regirock in the Serebii dex and see if they receive neutral damage to Rock...

There really isn't much point in debating this at all. As stated before dark is immune to physic, and no other type combination has the same 'traits' as grass/fire/water. People can suggest options if they want.

IMHO gamefreak only need to worry about this whenever they run out of ideas, i'd say they still have design ideas its just additional types and base stats. Also if they stop the fire/fighting trend it would be a REALLY good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.