• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

coincidences between Pokemons and other non-Pokemon creatures

Ditto B1tch

Use this thread to share any Pokemon that reminds you a creature of another franchise. Have in mind that the Pokemon must have been designed after, as the main point in here is discussing whether some of the cases were coincidence or not. I'll start with one.

In 1997, there was a boss in Megaman X4 named Web Spider. It was mostly yellow-colored and its main attack was throwing electrical webs.

In 2010, Gen V introduced Joltik and Galvantula. They are spiders, yellow-colored and throw electrical webs.

Coincidence????

ParaChomp

be your own guru
In before Digimon! The time of its debut in North America couldn't be any better in that sense though, riding the wave. Sadly it was a tsunami in the playground.

Jigglypuff had a lot of similarities with Kirby. And Ledian and Pulseman

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
A lot of Pokemon have similarities to Pulseman (Volt Tackle IIRC was an attack in that game), but it's not really stealing, considering that GameFreak made Pulseman anyway.

Inspeakingof Bisharp, he kinda looks like Axem Ranger Red from SMRPG..

Ditto B1tch

Jigglypuff had a lot of similarities with Kirby. And Ledian and Pulseman

Jigglypuff looks like Kirby if you look their back, but they're totally different in the front and also their moves are very different as well.

About Pulseman, I didn't know his existence until some members commented about him in this thread. I don't know any of his moves, but upon lookin at his stereotype, he looks like much more with Bisharp, as many members above said.

Speaking of Pulseman... He definitely looks like Bisharp. (or Bisharp looks like him, rather)
Also, if anyone has ever seen the Iron Giant, that giant can definitely fly and has a slight resemblance to Golurk, which learns fly.

Golurk and Iron Giant? Iron Giant is a robot with several weapons, and Golurk is rock and doesn't have any weapon equiped in it. Golurk reminds me the Golem of Monster Ranger serie.

Last edited:

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
Not sure if this counts but Dragonite and the Bag of Dragonite from Earthbound.

Last edited:

Ditto B1tch

Not sure if this counts but Dragonite and the Bag of Dragonite from Earthbound.

Itoi said in an interview that the name for the item is a pre-reference to the future game Pokemon. One of the Pokemon species in the game is a Dragonite. The idea is that the item is a bag containing a dead Dragonite body and whenever used, One of the protagonists goes inside the Dragonite's skin and uses the Dragonite's moves inside the "suit" and then disposes the corpse whereever the battle took place.

Link: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_of_dragonite

EliJolesy

0.jpg

I was playing Donkey Kong with my boyfriend, and I was like "What is Zubat doing in the Banana Temple??"

octoboy

I Crush Everything
There's also the octillery-octorok thing. I definitely noticed that when running into octillery in SSBM.

And this guy always reminded me of sableye. Though he's only got one gem.

Jigglypuff looks like Kirby if you look their back, but they're totally different in the front and also their moves are very different as well.

About Pulseman, I didn't know his existence until some members commented about him in this thread. I don't know any of his moves, but upon lookin at his stereotype, he looks like much more with Bisharp, as many members above said.

Golurk and Iron Giant? Iron Giant is a robot with several weapons, and Golurk is rock and doesn't have any weapon equiped in it. Golurk reminds me the Golem of Monster Ranger serie.

I guess the Jiggly/Kirby similarities are closer in the SSB series.
But that Golem looks more like Regirock or Golem than Golurk...

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Speaking of Pulseman... He definitely looks like Bisharp. (or Bisharp looks like him, rather)
Also, if anyone has ever seen the Iron Giant, that giant can definitely fly and has a slight resemblance to Golurk, which learns fly.
If you're going to compare Pulseman to any Pokemon, it's Rotom.

Tiamat from DND (a five-headed dragon) was quite legendary. And Hydreigon is the new pseudo-legendary. A stretch. But thinking of DND, Uni reminds me of Keldo, and Bobby Cubone (or maybe that's just Dry Bones)... Piranha Plant's like Victreebel, Goomba like Diglett, Shroomish, and Bidoof. Buzz Lightyear's shape is simar to Deoxys's in passing. When I first played SML, I thought the Kumo were like Tangela, Batadon were like Sigilyph, and the flying monster from world 1-1 was like Cofagrigus.

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic

Cutty

Forever now
Squirtle looks like koopa troopa and Foongus looks like Toad from Mario franchise.

Ditto B1tch

If you're going to compare Pulseman to any Pokemon, it's Rotom.

Rotom? No way...

There's also the octillery-octorok thing. I definitely noticed that when running into octillery in SSBM.

And this guy always reminded me of sableye. Though he's only got one gem.

Very cute! It could be a pre evo of Sableye, a baby ^_^

Squirtle looks like koopa troopa and Foongus looks like Toad from Mario franchise.

Weak coincidences... They just share the same animal/fungus they were based, and nothing more.