• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Come Forth, Lycanroc with the Crimson Look!! (970)

SinnohEevee

You say lazy as if Team Rocket was the only thing they were lazy about...

DAHGYLQUIAAai8b.jpg:large

Check out the four characters on the right hand side.
Then check the four characters on the left.

Copies.
This is worse than Trip's design.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Me before watching: :D
After watching: <.<

I was hyped for this episode since I really like Gladion in the games despite him being underused in them, but he was edgy and I like such characters/rivals. His character in this episode was neat, but the battle and that god damn interuption if TR ruined the episode for me. It could've been the second major battle for Ash against a potential new rival, but of course TR interupted it quite quite early. And that after having a great moment two episodes ago.

Not only the battle was lacking, but the interaction between Gladion and Lillie was also somehow lacking. May it be because they hyped up the episode to much or because I thought this episode is going to kick *** the most after many months, at the end it quite dissapointed me and didn't lived up the hype. It was decent, but it should've been a good episode.

Last edited:

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
ok, so gladion told ash he should take on the island queen of akala island to obtain the rockium-z, and ash said he'll definitely do it.

Soniman

Break the Limit
SM anime hasn't given me any reason to get angry until this episode

It was doing a good job until it hot to the rival battle. There's do little battling in SM (and when there is they don't last long) that I was looking forward to finally getting a decent length battle with a rival.

But haha NOPE LETS HAVE TR INRERRUPT BECAUSE FUNNY. Gladion doesn't even use the ****ing Z move against Ash but on them???? What a waste of a debut. It's like one giant tease, let's hype up Ash battling Gladion then trick us by having a God forsaken TR interruption (one of the worst tropes in the show and nearly always terrible when used), what a WASTE.

A good episode brought down by an otherwise crap climax, that's what I get for finally finding something to get excited about in this series I guess

Red and Blue

So they showed a wimpod walking along the beach at night. Could that be the same one from episode 20?

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
What a bunch of whiners here. Can't handle a mainstay from the series and react like pre-teens. Guess what, you all wanted SM to be about comedy, so you don't get hype battles, you get interruptions for comedic effect. HAHA.

Honestly, I haven't been too supportive of SM's style, especially the current lack of plot post-Litten and the crude redesigns. But seeing this prepubescent fallout after a Team Rocket Oldschool-moment is just great.

Low expectations make 6/10 episodes more enjoyable to watch. The remainding 4/10 are still garbage though..

Also, lol.. that picture that Frozocone posted. That's probably the ugliest Riolu I've ever seen! Not to mention that yellow blurb that's supposedly an Elekid.. D.D

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Of course TR interrupts the battle midway. I love how Ash is really training his Pokemon this season, but the battles have been really lackluster for the most part. This was suppose to be the battle that motivates Ash to try even harder by losing brutally, but instead we have Gladion already fully respecting Ash. The start gave me hope that Gladion would be a great "unfriendly" rival for Ash, but once again everyone needs to be nice to each other. At least we got to see a bit of Lycanroc demolish Rockruff in all aspects, just disappointed the z-move wasn't used against Ash even.

This is actually hilarious. The copy-paste is real.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I really enjoyed this episode. I like how Gladion is cool yet nice to Ash. I'm excited for subs so I know what they are actually saying.
I personally don't mind whatsoever that Lycanroc ended up using his z-move on tr instead of Rockruff. I like when TR gets involved though so I'm special like that.
Absolutely loved how the rock z-move looked, it was so much better than I imagined it. I'm really excited for Ash to use it!

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Team Rocket just had to interrupt the battle, didn't they? We couldn't get a full Ash vs. Gladion rival battle, could we? And here I was hoping we might have been done with TR interrupting plot-relevant battles. Seriously, writers, was that really necessary?! :mad:

Continental Crush looked awesome, though. I'm looking forward to seeing Ash and Rockruff/Lycanroc (whichever it is by then) use that Z-move. :D

Aside from TR's pointless, stupid interruption, I really enjoyed this episode. The Edgelord lived up to his moniker (thank you, animators, for including his game battle poses! :D ), but he still showed a kind side, especially when it came to his little sister. I like that the writers showed that side of him, since we rarely got to see it in the games. It makes Gladion seem like more than just an edgy teenager with emo fashion.

Gladion made note of Lillie being able to touch Pokémon, which makes me wonder if he knows what happened to cause Lillie's fear, and if maybe that's one of the reasons he has changed. (If I understood correctly, Lillie said something about Gladion not being the nice brother she remembers.) I liked that little bit of backstory James the butler told about Gladion and his Eevee (which is now his Umbreon)--another sign of Gladion's kindness.

This also felt like a Rockruff focus episode, in a way. The training session at the beginning of the episode seemed to mostly focus on Rockruff and highlight its determination in battle. It was there to watch Gladion's Midnight Lycanroc pommel Blastoise, and it was the star of Ash's battle against Gladion. It was even the star of the Team Rocket confrontation, since it was the one who freed Pikachu and Lycanroc from the net (and it ran after TR with no command from Ash). Yet, we continued to see Rockruff's playful puppy side when it was rough-housing with Ash's other Pokémon at Kukui's house. That scene was both adorable and funny. Pikachu was all for playing with Rockruff. Litten did not appreciate being pounced on (as expected). But what was surprising was how angry Rowlet got at being pounced on and awakened.

Ash, you have no more excuses. Get your butt over to Akala Island and complete those Trials so you can challenge Olivia and get your Rockruff a Rockium-Z.

Also, what was the point of Team Skull in this episode, aside from getting demolished by Gladion's Midnight Lycanroc? I wonder if anime Gladion is actually a part of Team Skull, or if the writers decided to change that. On the other hand, it's possible he is part of Team Skull, but not all of the grunts know who he is (since they aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the shed).

Soniman

Break the Limit
What a bunch of whiners here. Can't handle a mainstay from the series and react like pre-teens. Guess what, you all wanted SM to be about comedy, so you don't get hype battles, you get interruptions for comedic effect. HAHA.

I honestly to God can't tell if it's sarcasm.

I would've been fine with continuing in the style of what XY gave us despite everyone turning against it, so no I didn't want a comedy, but I'm not the target audience so I just roll with it..

And I don't see how I'm "whining" because I wanted a proper rival battle, I'm sorry if I can't see the great writing of having a TR interruption but to me, lame writing is lame writing so yes I'll complain about it when they drop the ball

Janovy

Banned
This is actually hilarious. The copy-paste is real.
You know what's even more hilarious?

The fact that people never did this for XY/XY&Z. Previous series constantly had similar shots, but the fact people are choosing to emphasize this now and laugh at SM is yet another stark reminder that people decided to hate on this series before it even began airing.

Super hilarious. Super hypocritical. Just another day in our lovely fandom.

Stay class guys.

We also get a-holes to say 'I told you so', it appears. Wonderful.

How old are you again?

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit

The fact that people never did this for XY/XY&Z. Previous series constantly had similar shots, but the fact people are choosing to emphasize this now and laugh at SM is yet another stark reminder that people decided to hate on this series before it even began airing.

Super hilarious. Super hypocritical. Just another day in our lovely fandom.

Stay class guys.

wow chill, jesus no need to get defensive over a joke about background characters

nuzamaki90

Please. People were pointing out QUALITY shots in XY/XY&Z all the time. From Sawyer's Sceptile, to that entire Charizard Y VS X battle, and the entire Malamar episode where everyone got brainwashed. It was all there. Everyone was complaining about some episodes looking a mess when the episodes would be outsourced by the Korean animators. You most likely didn't see it here because almost everyone and their mom loved the animation anyway in XY/XY&Z.

Honestly, don't think too much about it. It's just poking fun about background characters. Being a Naruto fan, you deal with this almost every time an episode airs.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Oh, look. Gladion's Eevee has a backstory unlike his real ace... That's really weird.

Okay, that Riolu background trainer is everywhere.

But it's so hilarious and yet idiotic they copied and pasted the public...

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I'm going to respond to this as if it isn't. So far, SM has done well with not having Team Rocket interrupt battles in nearly every episode. I was hoping the writers would continue with that trend and make their appearances feel less shoehorned in, so I was disappointed that they interrupted Ash and Gladion's battle.

Saving on animation budget by copy/pasting background characters. It's done all the time, and since that scene was only shown for a few seconds, and the focus was on Ash and Gladion, I doubt most audience members (except the one who captured that screenshot) even noticed. I wouldn't consider that lazy.

Oh, look. Gladion's Eevee has a backstory unlike his real ace... That's really weird.
I actually interpreted that backstory as another insight into Gladion's character. Since Eevee evolves into Umbreon through friendship, the fact that Gladion was so close to that Eevee he rescued that it evolved--and that they are still very close, since Umbreon appears to be Gladion's "shoulder 'mon" (we never did see it in its Pokéball)--shows that Gladion is kinder than he appears to be on the surface.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Saving on animation budget by copy/pasting background characters. It's done all the time, and since that scene was only shown for a few seconds, and the focus was on Ash and Gladion, I doubt most audience members (except the one who captured that screenshot) even noticed. I wouldn't consider that lazy.

It is when it's so blatant and it's not obscured by super past transitions.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I really hope the writers aren't afraid of giving Ash a flat out loss this saga (sort of as a way to make up 'losing Kalos league').

He lost to Hobbes the Butler.

I like that Gladion isn't mean to everyone. An edgy character should have some balance and from what I could tell, Gladion was cool.

NPT

Just a member
Geez, what a waste. Episodes like this are one of the reasons I hate Team Rocket so much.