• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Come What May (327)

Tadashi

kiss my greens
I really liked this episode ^_^ Drew losing to Grace, and Grace losing to May. The battle was great and Beautifly worked really hard ^^ Nice first-contest win.

Igottapoo

In my nightmares
It was an alright episode. Cool how May got her first win. But I'm not a fan of contests.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great contest.
It was cool how May won this contest, it was her first ribbon.
Beautifly was amazing.

J-boogie200

This episode was full of epic win!

I couldn't imagine May winning her first ribbon any other way.

Beautifly was awesome, and Jessie was hilarious.

10/10!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought Jessie's appeal in the beginning of the episode was pretty, with Dustox using it's glittery powder and then adding rainbow effects. But the fact that James and Meowth were behind the whole show kinda ruined it. I thought Jessie could've done it well all on her own. During the first battle, May's Beautifly and Jessie's Dustox were both at their finest. It was a rivalry of Wurmple evolutionary forms, quite the twist. Jessie lost and she was caught cheating by Contesta and then the usual TR mayhem insued.

Loved Drew versus the COTD Coordinator since I hadn't seen Drew compete too much in the past. I thought Medicham's impressing use of Psychic to stop Roselia's Petal Dance was impressive to say the least. It's best move was using Ice Punch to cause the ice to reflect Roselia's Solar Beam. It was really spectacular to see Drew lose to such a Coordinator, I almost felt sorry for him since he's May's best rival in Hoenn.

May in the final Contest battle was the best part I think. Seeing Beautifly's String Shot get turned around on itself by Medicham's Psychic wasn't a good sign since the battle barely started. Medicham used it to tie up Beautifly them in froze it in ice to seal the deal. Things looked dire but May's Beautifly managed to get out of it and stop Medicham's hands with it's Silver Wind move. I was overjoyed that May won her very first ribbon! I thought that the fact that Drew gave her a rose was a cute romantic sign too. 7/10

saar

Shiny Flygon
Epic episode. I'm surprised Grace used her Medicham VS a Flying pokemon. She should have known the big risk in this choice.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I really liked Grace, she was my favorite COTD coordinator, I wish she became a recurring character and appeared more than once.

Her Medicham was really awesome as well, it's psychic and battling abilities were very impressive.

I also liked her quirky attitude and the way her faced looked before she would laugh was funny.

The battle between Grace and May was also great, Beautifly vs Medicham was a very good match and I'm glad May got her first ribbon.

Great episode.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was good. Another contest, I really like contest episodes. The battle between May's Beautifly and Grace's Medicham was so cool! I'm glad May won her 1st Contest ribbon. Go figure that Jessie would find a way to cheat using her Dustox in the contest, by using a machine on its under-body. Medicham's Ice Punch to the ground to deflect Solar Beam was an excellent Manuever. I like how Beautifly immobilized Medicham and then made a major strike.

78/100

kadabra spoon

Silver Emerald...
i remember these episodes as if they were yesterday...
series 7 was undoubtedly one of the best

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
This episode takes me back. My older brother was stuck on the "Pokemon is childish" bandwagon for ages. My siblings and I would watch the show on our big TV in the family room, and he would often pass by to make a snide remark or two. We were watching this episode, just after the commercial break - as May vs. Grace started. And he passed by to make a comment - but never said anything. And then he sat down and watched, completely captivated, until the battle was over. Then he stood up wordlessly and left.

THAT, my friends, makes this a good episode.

Vernikova

Champion
What a bad episode. It looked really nice but that's all it had going for it. What the hell is May doing winning this battle in the first place when she has little battling experience? Seriously, she thinks Drew is a challenge and yet the person who destroys him can't beat May. Terrible episode and another reason why I prefer Dawn's contest arc to May's.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What a bad episode. It looked really nice but that's all it had going for it. What the hell is May doing winning this battle in the first place when she has little battling experience? Seriously, she thinks Drew is a challenge and yet the person who destroys him can't beat May. Terrible episode and another reason why I prefer Dawn's contest arc to May's.

Are you joking? Beautifly Vs. Medicham is one of the best contest battles in the series. This was the episode that made contests popular in the first time.

And considering Dawn beats a character who was a rival to her mother for like 20 years, I don't see why you're bringing this up. If you think this episode wasn't good you might as well stop watching the show entirely because it was one of the best.

Vernikova

Champion
Are you joking? Beautifly Vs. Medicham is one of the best contest battles in the series.

Yeah, it looked nice.

This was the episode that made contests popular in the first time.

Irrelevant to my opinion on the matter.

And considering Dawn beats a character who was a rival to her mother for like 20 years,

That was a bad victory too. Don't try to justify one character's dumb victory with another's. They're both equally dumb.

I don't see why you're bringing this up.

Because this is a review thread and I posted my opinion on the episode.

If you think this episode wasn't good you might as well stop watching the show entirely because it was one of the best.

I stopped watching after Sinnoh.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, it looked nice.

The techniques in this contest battle are the first thing that truly made contests stand out. May's first Contest was just her getting creamed by Drew, but this one was the first with actually strategy and techniques involved. Beautifly using its attacks to immobilize Medicham's arms to stop its attacks was great, as were the rest of the battling in this episode.

That was a bad victory too. Don't try to justify one character's dumb victory with another's. They're both equally dumb.

Neither is a bad victory. Characters win against older, mature characters all the time. By this logic Ash shouldn't be able to beat any Gym leader since most are 25-30 year olds who have been battling their entire lives. Now May does have some cheap victories later on, but I remember back in 2004 this was where Contests really took off in popularity in the series.

I stopped watching after Sinnoh.

Well OK, but that's all.

Vernikova

Champion
The techniques in this contest battle are the first thing that truly made contests stand out. May's first Contest was just her getting creamed by Drew, but this one was the first with actually strategy and techniques involved. Beautifly using its attacks to immobilize Medicham's arms to stop its attacks was great, as were the rest of the battling in this episode.

As I've already stated: it looked nice.

Neither is a bad victory. Characters win against older, mature characters all the time. By this logic Ash shouldn't be able to beat any Gym leader since most are 25-30 year olds who have been battling their entire lives.

I simply assume that the Gym Leaders limit the strength of the Pokemon they use depending on the trainer. It ruins my suspension of belief otherwise. This scenario doesn't deliver me any kind of way to do so. We have just seen a clearly superior Pokemon trainer in Drew lose in a rather one-sided battle against Grace. It has been made obvious from the episodes leading up to this one that Drew is superior to May in nearly every way in terms of Pokemon battling and yet she is able to win rather handily here? Grace didn't show any kind of strategy use like the kind that she displayed when battling Drew and many of the moves May used here were never hinted at being able to be used before (Tackle with a Gust attack protecting it, Tackle with a Gust attack while using Silver Wind at the same time, etc). It's as though she suddenly got better since her last battle. That's poor writing especially since we know that May hasn't had much battling experience.

Now May does have some cheap victories later on, but I remember back in 2004 this was where Contests really took off in popularity in the series.

Well, that was 2004 and I probably enjoyed this episode back then too. Re-watching it now, it's easy to spot all of the story telling flaws and I'm reviewing these episodes as I re-watch them.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I simply assume that the Gym Leaders limit the strength of the Pokemon they use depending on the trainer. It ruins my suspension of belief otherwise. This scenario doesn't deliver me any kind of way to do so. We have just seen a clearly superior Pokemon trainer in Drew lose in a rather one-sided battle against Grace. It has been made obvious from the episodes leading up to this one that Drew is superior to May in nearly every way in terms of Pokemon battling and yet she is able to win rather handily here? Grace didn't show any kind of strategy use like the kind that she displayed when battling Drew and many of the moves May used here were never hinted at being able to be used before (Tackle with a Gust attack protecting it, Tackle with a Gust attack while using Silver Wind at the same time, etc). It's as though she suddenly got better since her last battle. That's poor writing especially since we know that May hasn't had much battling experience.

No, it was to show that Drew wasn't some invincible or unbeatable character. Its a mistake they made with Zoey, making her way too perfect and almost unbeatable in rare cases.

As for May, Beautifly had been used in most of her episodes at this point, like when she went training it in that Wailord filler and so forth. Considering this is what...nearly the 50th episode of AG or something, I'd say it was about time. Remember Dawn won her first ribbon only 26 episodes into DP, it took May over 50.

Well, that was 2004 and I probably enjoyed this episode back then too. Re-watching it now, it's easy to spot all of the story telling flaws and I'm reviewing these episodes as I re-watch them.

You can say that for any episode then. Obviously rewatching episodes as an adult you're going to notice things you didn't care about before when you were a kid.

Vernikova

Champion
No, it was to show that Drew wasn't some invincible or unbeatable character.

We already knew he was beatable when he was eliminated handily by Robert in the previous Pokemon Contest. There was no reason for it to happen twice just to prove a point we already knew.

Its a mistake they made with Zoey, making her way too perfect and almost unbeatable in rare cases.

Yup. We've already established him as beatable in the first contest.

As for May, Beautifly had been used in most of her episodes at this point, like when she went training it in that Wailord filler and so forth. Considering this is what...nearly the 50th episode of AG or something, I'd say it was about time. Remember Dawn won her first ribbon only 26 episodes into DP, it took May over 50.

And even by the fiftieth episode, they still made no solid progress on her as a Pokemon trainer and never showed her improving her skills to the point where she could accomplish feats like she did in this contest.

You can say that for any episode then. Obviously rewatching episodes as an adult you're going to notice things you didn't care about before when you were a kid.

And I have said it for most episodes that I've re-watched.