• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Comic Books

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Hey everyone! Figured I'd start up this thread for all of you comic book lovers out there. I checked other threads and couldn't find one.

Let's use this to promote discussion on our favorite comic books/storylines/characters, etc.

I have a lot of favorite comic books. I actually own almost every Ninja Turtle comic from Mirage (the original company with the darker storylines). I've interviewed some of the main creators, and I own art from every major artist to have ever worked on the main series (including the creators, Eastman & Laird). I just got an original page by Ross Campbell from IDW's issue 31 page 10. I also own an original page from Issue 37 in Volume 1 of Mirage.

Aside from the turtles, my favorite long form story is Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo. I like the characters and the emphasis on Japanese history, folk tales, etc.

Lastly, my favorite comic book of all time is Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba. The deluxe edition should actually be waiting for me from the mail at home right now. It's a gorgeous story contemplating life, death, love, and an assortment of other things. The last issue almost always makes me cry with how beautifully crafted it is.

What are some of your favorite things in comics?

SmartD

I've read:

Darkwing Duck comics by BOOM! Studios
Blacksad (anyone read that comic?)
American Splendor: Another Day
Bionicle
Some DC comics
Comics from Free Comic Book Day

Speaking of Free Comic Book Day, it's coming up soon. Anyone going? I am.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I've read:

Darkwing Duck comics by BOOM! Studios
Blacksad (anyone read that comic?)
American Splendor: Another Day
Bionicle
Some DC comics
Comics from Free Comic Book Day

Speaking of Free Comic Book Day, it's coming up soon. Anyone going? I am.

Blacksad's been on my to-read list for so long...
Yep, I'm going to FCBD. I've gone for the last 7 years. Super fun!

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
I like listerning to hip hop , but i dont really like most of the generic artists broadcastered atm, most artists only spit about sex and drugs. Theirs another spectrum of hip hop out their and its awsome..

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I don't real a whole lot of comics, but I kind of prefer the ones without superheroes and all that stuff. Series I have read include these:

DMZ - Definitely a great series. It's gritty, violent, well-drawn with a great style, and it features the war torn area of New York City. I'm not too crazy about Matty Roth as the main character (he makes a lot of stupid mistakes), but the series as a whole is quite good.

Channel Zero - Definitely another strong political series from Brian Wood. Again, I like Wood's style of storytelling and his art. Definitely has a unique flavor to it.

Criminal - A great noir series that also has a lot of gritty, adult themes. I asked the guy at the store if he had something that read like the Max Payne games, and this was definitely quite close to that.

Again, these are great if you're looking for something beyond superpowers and guys in tights.

Chili

I don't really read comics but id love to get into them. Does anyone know any good ones? Maybe some that are filled with adventure, fantasy, and drama? I also like comics about school related things.

I've only really read the Garfield and Peanuts comics.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I don't really read comics but id love to get into them. Does anyone know any good ones? Maybe some that are filled with adventure, fantasy, and drama? I also like comics about school related things.

The ones that Avenger Angel could work for you.
Far Arden by Kevin Cannon is a good BxW book that features a lot of adventure and humor. Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy is also a good choice. If you like things like The Lord of the Rings, then Mouse Guard by David Petersen works quite well.

Chili

The ones that Avenger Angel could work for you.
Far Arden by Kevin Cannon is a good BxW book that features a lot of adventure and humor. Joe the Barbarian by Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy is also a good choice. If you like things like The Lord of the Rings, then Mouse Guard by David Petersen works quite well.

Thank you! I'm going to try out avenger angel! I like the name

phanpycross

God-king
Great Thread :)

Recommending mainstream comics Can be tough, since most characters have large stories, however I Can snatch up a few great new Comics:

Amazing Spider-man is relauncing, and since it's a tie in to the movie, they are sure to catch you up.

Ms Marvel (2014-) is super light on continuity, and gives great insight into being a muslim (it's still a superhero book, so dont be scared of culture shock.)

Marvel 1602, is a medieval take on the Characters you see in the movies, and the entire series on 222 pages can be picked up on comicxologyfor about 2,99 dollars.

Im not too much of a DC fan, but I am about to look into a few books.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I only read Marvel comics though I read Batman sometimes.
My favorites are Venom, Scarlet Spider(Before those two were cancelled), Amazing Spider-Man, and the Superior Foes of Spider-Man.
I hate Ultimate and "Superior"

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Ms. Marvel is good. I like how they relaunched the title with a new character. Marvel is definitely taking more risks in representing a wider community with different cultural backgrounds lately.
I read some superhero books out of habit, but I've gravitated closer to stuff published by Oni, Fantagraphics, and Top Shelf. Been on a crime noir kick with Jacques Tardi.
Image is also coming out with great stuff like Saga and Lazarus. I'm a big Greg Rucka fan partially because I've hung out with him a lot. If you like detective/crime stuff, then check out Rucka's Stumptown, Whiteout, and Queen & Country.

For those interested in DC Comics, their weekly Batman Eternal is actually surprisingly good, and Scott Snyder's work in general on Batman is good. Wonder Woman is also good if you're interested in Greek Mythology.

Thank you! I'm going to try out avenger angel! I like the name

Haha, I meant the ones that Avenger Angel suggested. They replied to the thread right above you.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
I like Comics can I join the thread?

I got Batman the Killing Joke a few days ago it's a really good read and I'm thinking of picking up Ultimate Spider man and Ms Marvel on free comic day.

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT

If you want a Fantasy World read Fables.
For those of you who want something new and familiar at the same time I'd recommend the recent Scarlet Spider run and the incoming Spider-Man 2099 run which features my favorite future Spider-Man Miguel O'Hara.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
If you want a Fantasy World read Fables.
For those of you who want something new and familiar at the same time I'd recommend the recent Scarlet Spider run and the incoming Spider-Man 2099 run which features my favorite future Spider-Man Miguel O'Hara.

Awesome more Spider-Man 2099 lovers I guess I'll have to pick it up when it comes out then.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Fables is a really strong series. Bill Willingham (the writer) invited me behind the DC booth at a con one time. He's a pretty swell guy. It's too bad Fables is ending soon, but, for new readers, it's easy to get your hands on the volumes. It's a fun series that imagines what if all of the characters from fable stories, nursery rhymes, fantasy tales actually exist in the real (Mundane) world. It's like the TV series Once Upon a Time, but it came out 5+ years before the show.

I do also enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man. I only started reading it with Miles Morales because I think he's a compelling character, and I'm all about diversity in my superhero reads.

I like Comics can I join the thread?

Of course! Anyone can join the thread.

SmartD

Did anyone get any comics on Free Comic Book Day? I got:

Les Misarables
kaboom! Summer Blast!
Hello Kitty and Friends
Bongo Comics Free-For-All

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
No Comic Book shops in my island, thus no Free Comics :( Borders used to be the only place to get comics in retail... But you know how they turned out.

Anyone get any variants of the new Amazing Spider-Man #1? The GameStop exclusive variant cover has a 6K limited run, but I managed to snag two in the last week of April. It was worth 6,000 PowerUp points, but I had so much points still, I decided to spend 12K points to get two of it. I won't be reading them. I'll just keep it sealed. It's already going for $150+ on EBay. It might become worth more in the future, maybe not. My order is still pending, but I can't wait until I finally get it.