• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Comic Books

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
This won't help you, but in my opinion, they only have as much value as you give them. To me, signs of wear and year are unique as nobody else will ever have those small creases and folds, it will always be only yours.

I like this philosophy.
However, I bag and board my comics and put them in boxes. I want to keep them in high quality so I can read them again in pretty good condition. I have no real intention of selling many of my comics - especially the stuff that could actually be worth something - but I like to keep them how I got them. I paid good money for them, so I don't want to trash 'em. If I see a crease, I feel bad, but it's not the end of the world.

Sazandora, you can go to the comic shop and ask for just a single bag and a board. In the states it might cost around $.40.
Modern comics are also not going to gain too much money for awhile no matter how rare the variant. The most modern comics will make are probably the 1st issue of some indie/Dark Horse/Vertigo/Image comic that is being picked up for TV or a movie.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
*Little side thing* I created a Flickr account just to post this pic. Follow me if you want, and I'll follow you back, I guess.

Anyways, here's the pic.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/124803363@N06/14240587022/

It's edited, so it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY for the damaged crease edges to be visible. But there are, both comics are damaged there. You can see it's covered by plastic, and the brown stuff in the back is the cardboard envelope. Like I said, I haven't taken the comics out of the Ziploc yet, and the comic still looks in perfect condition outside of the damaged crease edges (or at least from what I can tell. I think it's at least at a 9.0). I'm not really going to sell it right now. I still see eBay listings at $100+, down from the $150 a few weeks ago, but the price is still high. Only 6K of these were made, and were made exclusive for GameStop PowerUp Rewards members for 6K points, which would equal $600. That seems like a hassle for a single variant, but then again so are signed copies and Comic-Con exclusives. (Oh and yes, it is a first issue)

^@MechanisticMoth
:(
No comic book stores near me.

randomspot555

Marvel fanboy almost exclusively. Outside of a few key stories like The Killing Joke, DC doesn't intrique me. (Of course, movies and animation are a different category). I recently received Remender's Uncanny X-Force, Hickman's v1 Fantastic Four/FF, and Roger Stern's ASM, all in beautiful, hardcover, omnibus format.

Speaking of which, I love me some local businesses, but I can not justify paying MSRP at a comic book store or book store for trades and hard covers when they're much cheaper on Amazon. But lately, I've been using cheapgraphicnovels.com, which is an online venture of a hobby shop called Pulp Fiction out in California. Really good prices. Anyone who reads by trade/hardcover or wants to find some of the OOP stuff, check them out.

Mine is actually doc ock, he actually managed to take peter's chaotic life, and make it the best its ever been, not to mention that Superior spiderman is prolly the best spiderman run in the last ten years.

Spock was something that was handled great by every other writer but Slott's handling of that story was, at best, average with some bright spots, and at worst, flat out creepy and horrible. Those first two issues of SSM easily rank in my top 10 worst Spider-Man issues of all time.

But the problems with his Superior Spider-Man run aren't any different than his ASM work during Brand New Day and Big Time. He can not write a female to save his life outside of Aunt May (pretty much every woman among Peter's friends conforms to a very narrow stereotype, IE MJ is the jealous ex, Carlie is the Perfect One True Love, etc...). His Spider-Man dialogue was okay but his grasp on Peter is really bad. Peter has Parker Luck, for sure, but much of Slott's Peter seems to be self inflicted trouble rather than trouble that has inadvertently found Peter.

Not to mention that everyone, from long time supporting cast and family, to fellow Avengers, to his clone brother Kaine, had to be struck with a Dumb Magic Stick to be prevented from figuring out why Peter/Spiderman is suddenly a jerk.

But as I said, Hickman, Waid and many others wrote a compelling Spock character. Slott, however, pretty much wrote him as a power fantasy trip.

Speaking of Spider-man who do you think served as the best Spider-man Miles,Miguel , or Peter?

I'm a big fan of Miles but they can all be good. Except Miguel. Never was a fan of 2099. I understand the appeal, it just isn't for me.

Does anyone here take care of comic books? If so, how do you keep it all nice and preserved? My ASM GS Variant Covers finally came, and they're in what looks to be like Ziploc, and was shipped in a cardboard envelope. If I remove the envelope and just keep the comic inside the Ziploc, it would fit in a shoebox. Should I just keep it in the envelope?

Also, I didn't touch the comic, but just slightly took it out of the envelope to see if both were damaged. It seems both edges on the creases are damaged. It's most likely a damage done when they were packing it. Would that lower the value of the comic?

Every single comic you buy is automatically worth less the minute you buy it. That's true for 95% of comics published the past 10, 15, 20 years. The few exceptions are pretty rare and usually have a reason.

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 by Brian Michael Bendis, from 10+ years ago, is one of them. It was a comic everyone was expecting to fail from a writer who really didn't have a lot going for him at the time. Good looking copies of the original batch are still fetching $100+ on Ebay and similar sites.

An issue or its variant covers might be worth something unusully high anywhere between a few days or a few months if it receives mainstream media attention, such as the assassination of Captain America (CA 25, Brubaker) or that Spidey issue that featured Obama. But after that brief spot in the sun, the value plummets pretty hard.

But comic book nerds like us love buying stuff at cons, and usually a collection of a volume, or at least a continuous volume, can be haggled for a good chunk of change. IE The Peculiar Purple Monster #1-25 is worth more than The Peculiar Purple Monster issues #1-19, #21, 24-30.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I'm reading Superior Spider-Man #25, and Wolverine doesn't have his healing factor anymore? Huh? If anyone can PM me the answer, that'd be nice.

So far, enjoying this series. I'm extremely late to the party, and this is the only Spider-Man comic I've read since Civil War, but I'm enjoying Doc Ock. A more brutal Spidey who's actually able to kill or put his enemies near death. And that short Black Cat part was hilarious. Got 6 issues left, and it's been so fun, I think I'll get back to comics again.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Wolverine lost his healing factor about a year ago when he was infected with a sentient virus from the Microverse. His healing factor was disabled by the virus, but not before purging the virus itself from his system. His vulnerability to injury and aging are now that of any normal human. Beast currently provides him with a serum to keep the adamantium in his body from poisoning him fatally, a bulwark his healing factor was otherwise previously providing.

Which comic is that from? I've got such a huge backlog to get through :(
Recommend any essentials? Post-Skrull Secret Invasion favorably. Is Avengers vs X-Men good?

randomspot555

I'm reading Superior Spider-Man #25, and Wolverine doesn't have his healing factor anymore? Huh? If anyone can PM me the answer, that'd be nice.

Wolverine loses his healing factor now and again. It really is mostly being ignored. He's still being shot and everything, writers are just making him say ow.

It's a really bad storyline from a bad writer.

So far, enjoying this series. I'm extremely late to the party, and this is the only Spider-Man comic I've read since Civil War, but I'm enjoying Doc Ock. A more brutal Spidey who's actually able to kill or put his enemies near death. And that short Black Cat part was hilarious. Got 6 issues left, and it's been so fun, I think I'll get back to comics again.

The ironic part is there was already a brutal Spidey before Spock. It was Kaine. Drop everything your doing and go read Chris Yost's Scarlet Spider series. You're welcome.

Which comic is that from? I've got such a huge backlog to get through :(
Recommend any essentials? Post-Skrull Secret Invasion favorably. Is Avengers vs X-Men good?

AvX is a overall poor storyline that had some interesting moments, but ultimately it makes Hope, who was meant to be the reincarnation of Jean Gray, into Teenage Mutant #29494938.b and since that series, she's been stuck in C-list titles pretty much doing nothing. Marvel's big events have really been mundane at best, and have almost all aged poorly over time.

I mean if you like Dan Slott and like stupid puns and juvenile humor, check out his Silver Surfer run.

If you wanna read some good stuff, go get yourself the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus by Rick Remender. It is about the mutant black ops squad led by Wolverine and is a very good, but dark, book.

But if you wanna read stuff that's coming out now, just pick up and start reading. If an issue says "part X of Y", the shop probably still has those issues somewhere. Many series were re-booted or re-launched or started new arcs in January so there's not a lot of catching up to do.

But I think outside of a few gems, most of the Marvel stuff right now isn't worth reading.

I'd highly encourage you not to read Bendis' later end of his Avengers. It just gets really bad and his Bendis-isms really wear out their welcome.

If you don't wanna buy, your local library might carry trades and hardcovers. It's free so just check out everything and see what you like. Don't ignore the old stuff either. There are a lot of great classics.

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Will try to see if they're available on Marvel's Digital Comics app.

Regarding the Goblin Invasion in Superior Spiderman... Where the bloody heck were the X-Men, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and other heroes based in New York? Isn't Xavier's School for the Gifted located in Manchester, New York? Why weren't they there? SpOck cleaned up Hell's Kitchen, but no DD and HFH. Were they doing something else important alongside the events of this series?

Also, Spidey's 50 years of storyline have been condensed into just a a decade or so. How many years has it been since the original Gwen's death?

PS are fans still salty and angry about One More Day? Peter and Anna Marie is going to be complicated.

randomspot555

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Will try to see if they're available on Marvel's Digital Comics app.

They should be. I think there's a 4-6 month lag between actual release date and availability on the app. Last I checked they were getting better. And while not all of their old stuff is in there, a whole lot is.

I personally don't use it but I go to Starbucks so often I can use it if I really wanted to.

Regarding the Goblin Invasion in Superior Spiderman... Where the bloody heck were the X-Men, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and other heroes based in New York? Isn't Xavier's School for the Gifted located in Manchester, New York? Why weren't they there? SpOck cleaned up Hell's Kitchen, but no DD and HFH. Were they doing something else important alongside the events of this series?

Spock didn't so much clean up Hell's Kitchen as he took down Shadowland

As to "Where was Character X or Group Y when Event Z happened?", that's just part of the thing you have to keep to ignore, to an extent, when reading Marvel or really anything. In theory, Dr. Strange could just plop into any story and, since he is the Sorcerer Supreme, Plot Device away any threat in a matter of seconds. You will see several other heroes in the Goblin Nation story, but they're mostly fighting the goblins and protecting people while Spock deals with the larger threat.

X-Men is divided into two teams, Wolverine and the X-Men at the Jean Gray School in Manchester, and Scott's X-Men at the abandoned Weapon X facility in Canada. That's a whole other story.

Daredevil moved to California. Mark Waid's Daredevil is pretty good. You should read it.

Luke Cage is leading the Mighty Avengers and him and he ended up punching Spock in the face.

Iron Fist is busy in his current series.

There is no Heroes for Hire team at the moment.

Also, Spidey's 50 years of storyline have been condensed into just a a decade or so. How many years has it been since the original Gwen's death?

Depending on who you ask, it has been anywhere between 10-13 years since FF #1, which is considered the start of the current Marvel Universe. Considering the original Lee/Ditko era of Spider-Man almost aged in real time, that probably puts Gwen's death about 3-4 years into Spider-Man's career.

PS are fans still salty and angry about One More Day? Peter and Anna Marie is going to be complicated.

I don't know if they're angry about it. The story sucked. I've enjoyed a lot of Spider-Man stories since then, I just think Slott is a horrible writer. I think he's like the 10 year old kid with a bunch of action figures. He relies too heavily on Magic Plot Devices for Spider-Man to beat the villain, and most of those Magic Plot Devices are then never used again. A few people who overall enjoyed Spock almost universally hated the ending. He also writes a really bad, irresponsible Peter Parker and he can not write a female to save his life. All of his female characters, save Aunt May, fall into some sort of stereotype. MJ is the bitter ex, Carlie is the ****perfect most wonderful nerd girl ever *****, etc...

Slott also cannot resolve a plot to save his life, though he is hardly the only writer that has this problem.

Joe Kelly, Mark Waid, Chris Yost, Zeb Wells have all written really good ASM stories. Hickman has used Spidey amazingly in his Fantastic Four/Future Foundation stories.

phanpycross

God-king

Not sure about the others, but Daredevil currently locates at san francisco.

Gwen died in june 1973, so about forty years.

I still hate the fact that OMD exists, but I tend to try and ignore it, since the writers that came after, mostly try to bury it.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
Picked up the trade paperback of Ultimate Spiderman Volume 3 and the death of Peter Parker yesterday.

I really like how Miles is handling the whole being Spiderman thing and how on his first night as Spiderman the civilians where commenting that the Spiderman suit is in bad taste.

Can't wait to pick up the next trade paperback.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I'm reading ASM1 now, and it said "Prelude THIRTEEN YEARS AGO". I guess he's around 29 now?

I just read MJ's publication history on Wikipedia, and whoooo! What a freaking doozy that was. Just a bunch of on and off relationship talk. Urrggh. Seems like a headache to those who've been with Spidey since the 60s. Based on that wiki info, is it fine to assume Ollie's gonna die or he and MJ will break up at some point, and she'll start dating Peter again? That seems to be the routine they have. Get together, life in danger, breaks up, they still have feelings for each other, and the cycle repeats again.

XSilverStarboyX

I've only been keeping up with a few on a regular basis for now. I have been keeping up with

She-Hulk: I'll admit, I am not a fan of the artwork, but the story and characters are interesting. Plus She-Hulk is one of my favorite Marvel characters;152;

Superman and Wonder Woman: I don't normally get into Superman comics as a standalone character, however, I do like seeing him team up with other characters. And I think teaming him up with Wonder Woman is a great team up;152;

Injustice Year Two: What's not to love. I cannot wait to see more;152;

Ms. Marvel: I wasn't expecting the new Ms. Marvel to not only be an immigrant but a high schooler. I love it! It's probably my favorite new title out right now out of what I have read ;152;

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Ms. Marvel: I wasn't expecting the new Ms. Marvel to not only be an immigrant but a high schooler. I love it! It's probably my favorite new title out right now out of what I have read ;152;[/COLOR]

Yeah, Ms. Marvel is incredibly good. Well handled and provides an interesting introspection into a Muslim family. It's nice to see different cultures and diversity in comics. Plus, Marvel has really been hitting it home with powerful, female characters lately. Despite being more of a DC fan, Marvel's publishing initiative is focusing on way more diversity and overall better stories.

randomspot555

I'm reading ASM1 now, and it said "Prelude THIRTEEN YEARS AGO". I guess he's around 29 now?

I just read MJ's publication history on Wikipedia, and whoooo! What a freaking doozy that was. Just a bunch of on and off relationship talk. Urrggh. Seems like a headache to those who've been with Spidey since the 60s. Based on that wiki info, is it fine to assume Ollie's gonna die or he and MJ will break up at some point, and she'll start dating Peter again? That seems to be the routine they have. Get together, life in danger, breaks up, they still have feelings for each other, and the cycle repeats again.

MJ and Peter haven't been a couple for 5-ish years. But they did spend 20 years in real time married.

They probably will never be a couple again because a couple can only break up or get married. And we know the latter won't happen.

MJ as a character is much more than a relationship. She's a very strong and independent character in her own right. She even beat Chameleon once when he impersonated Peter. She knocked him unconcious with a baseball bat.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
MJ and Peter haven't been a couple for 5-ish years. But they did spend 20 years in real time married.

They probably will never be a couple again because a couple can only break up or get married. And we know the latter won't happen.

MJ as a character is much more than a relationship. She's a very strong and independent character in her own right. She even beat Chameleon once when he impersonated Peter. She knocked him unconcious with a baseball bat.

She does have her own web slingers now. They're the inferior ones Peter is using though, right? Guess she'll eventually run out of cartridges

phanpycross

God-king
So, After a couple of month on hiatus, I finally started picking up ultimate spiderman again.

I had originally dropped the book, after a rumor of the ultimate universe ending, but it turned out to be a fluke.

Book is as good as it always was, 9/10.

5221A

I am a completionnist, and recently decided to pick up Marvel... from the beginning of 616. So I started at FF #1 about a week ago, using Marvel Unlimited to read up, currently reading Journey Into Mystery #97 (41 comics in). At this pace I will take about 8 years to catch up though, not very happy about that.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I am a completionnist, and recently decided to pick up Marvel... from the beginning of 616. So I started at FF #1 about a week ago, using Marvel Unlimited to read up, currently reading Journey Into Mystery #97 (41 comics in). At this pace I will take about 8 years to catch up though, not very happy about that.

It probably doesn't help since Marvel is quite sprawling. At least you're not starting from the beginning of Action Comics and making your way through DC's Silver Age! If you make it to Walter Simonson's run on Thor, then let us know. I've been wanting to read it, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Also, I wanted to be a completionist once and read all of Green Lantern vol. 3 with Kyle Rayner and such... it was not that good, but I finished it.

DarkGengar

Ghost Reaper
Probably going to pick up Superman Earth One and X-Men Days of Future Past in the future. Love comic books, but I've been too busy to read them!

randomspot555

I'll just save you the time and tell you yo can skip Lee's X-Men run and just start with Claremont and Giant Sized X-Men #1.