• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Comic Books

5221A

It probably doesn't help since Marvel is quite sprawling. At least you're not starting from the beginning of Action Comics and making your way through DC's Silver Age! If you make it to Walter Simonson's run on Thor, then let us know. I've been wanting to read it, but I haven't gotten around to it.
I don't actually plan on catching up, not really a goal, just something I decided to trow out there.

Is DC really that good? I know some of the newer comics are great, but the silver age seems a bit iffy for me.

randomspot555

DC has been around several years longer than Marvel, even if you count Timely Comics as part of Marvel's history. Inevitably over the course of several decades most comic fans will find stuff they like and stuff they don't. Different eras and different circumstances surrounding the publishing of the comics.

I've never been much of a DC fan except outside of a few select stories, like Alan Moore's The Killing Joke. But obviously there's a lot of people who'll disagree with me on that end.

On another note, Hickman's Avengers stuff is really kicking into overdrive now. The stark contrast of one book being about Life and the other about Death are really starting to show.

Ketaru

Seemed as good a place as any to post this but...

Big Hero 6 trailer!

[video=youtube;z3biFxZIJOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3biFxZIJOQ[/video]

SmartD

phanpycross

God-king
So Thor a woman... Thoughts? http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor

I am cool with it as long as they don't change the character too much.

The original thor will thankfully still have a solo book, so I can survive the change.

Im honestly surprised more people arent complaining about falcon as cap, after the complete failure that was lawrance fishburne as perry white.

The new iron man suit looks like somthing apple would design, and she-thor's breast-plate looks really awkward-

Here is a link to the new avengers line-up:

http://www.newsarama.com/21597-meet...e-thor-falcon-cap-new-iron-man-suit-more.html

Seems a bit too movie-inspired for me :(

ForeverFlame

Batman and Robin is on point right now.
Ra's al Ghul, the Justice League, and forces from Apokolips in one big battle over the reincarnating corpse of Robin that was infused with Darkseid's powers? Yes please.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Ms. Marvel: I wasn't expecting the new Ms. Marvel to not only be an immigrant but a high schooler. I love it! It's probably my favorite new title out right now out of what I have read ;152;

She was born in New Jersey. She's not an immigrant.

The original thor will thankfully still have a solo book, so I can survive the change.

Im honestly surprised more people arent complaining about falcon as cap, after the complete failure that was lawrance fishburne as perry white.

People are really saying this? What places are you visiting where Larry Fishburne playing a thankless role was considered a negative, Stormfront?

And trust me, people are complaining, and a good majority of 'em are doing it in the most racist way possible. Considering how popular Sam Wilson is after The Winter Soldier, I can see why Marvel made him the new Captain. When he does inevitably put down the shield, I hope he gives it to America Chavez. Because what isn't there to love about America Chavez?

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I answered SmartD's question in a PM, but I figured I'd give a briefer explanation to anyone interested in Usagi.

Basically, the new Dark Horse "Saga" Usagi Yojimbo comics collect THEIR first volumes published (essentially Volume 2 of the ongoing). These volumes are 8-28, but I believe they're only releasing 3 volumes collected in a Saga book at a time. This is because many of these volumes are out of print or have terrible binding (my books are literally falling apart).

Usagi Yojimbo's first 7 volumes were published by Fantagraphics and are still in print.

Hope that clears some stuff up, and I highly recommend Usagi Yojimbo to anyone. The Ninja Turtles may be my favorite thing ever, but I believe that Usagi has been the most consistently great comic of the last 30 years. It is my favorite comic, and I plan to start re-reading it again soon.

Mrmuffin123

First Male Swiftie
Superior Spider-Man = Worst time of my life. Good series though.

SmartD

So I got Usagi Yojimbo Book 1 in the mail today and I'm currently reading it. Looks pretty neat so far.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Apparently they are making a Marvel's Agent's of Shield comic <3!!!!! I've never been much into comics really and have only read a couple like the Avatar ones and some manga. I think I'm gonna give this one a shot though since I absolutely adore AOS as a show. It's gonna be set a few months into season 2 if I remember correctly and is gonna be on a much bigger scale then the show which means super heroes ^_^!!! It's still gonna be set in the current marvel movie universe which I'm guessing makes it canon(although I could be wrong here).

I'm also really excited for the Flash and Arrow mini series comics they are making for the shows to fill in the time gap for the new seasons.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
So I was considering picking up the Young Justice comics, any characters in there I might not know about?

I know there is the third Robin, Impulse, Secret, and Super boy but who else?

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
@SmartD: I'm glad you're enjoying Usagi. The series gets better and better. Fun fact, the line above his brow isn't his brow - it's a scar. It used to annoy me until a short story showed it was a scar.

@1rkhachatryan: I don't follow any of the TV shows, but I know it depends on the comic whether or not it takes place inside the cinematic/television cannon. It's always cool when it does, though, because then you know more than your friends and family that just follow the TV series or movies!

@Pokemon trainer Black: Are you talking about the Young Justice comic from the 90s or the one that tied into the cartoon from a couple years back? I really enjoyed the cartoon and would have liked to see it continue. I've read some of the YJ comics from the 90s, and they were entertaining. I know Mark Waid's Impulse series is supposed to be one of the few redeemable ongoing series from the 90s. Plus, Tim Drake (Robin 3) is my third favorite character in comics, so it's nice to always see him around. His solo series was pretty good, too.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
@Pokemon trainer Black: Are you talking about the Young Justice comic from the 90s or the one that tied into the cartoon from a couple years back? I really enjoyed the cartoon and would have liked to see it continue. I've read some of the YJ comics from the 90s, and they were entertaining. I know Mark Waid's Impulse series is supposed to be one of the few redeemable ongoing series from the 90s. Plus, Tim Drake (Robin 3) is my third favorite character in comics, so it's nice to always see him around. His solo series was pretty good, too.

The one from the 90's.

I know thy changed a lot from the comics and I want to read the source material to see just what was changed.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
The one from the 90's.

I know thy changed a lot from the comics and I want to read the source material to see just what was changed.

Basically only the title is the same between the comics and the TV show. There are some same characters like Robin, Superboy, and Impulse/Kid Flash, but nothing else too much similar. For instance, that Aqualad character didn't exist in the comics. Same with Artemis. Still, I know the comic got generally good reviews, and it was used as the foundation to launch the Teen Titans series that came out before The New 52. In fact, that Teen Titans series may be closer to the show than the actual Young Justice comic. I'm not a big fan of Geoff Johns, but his run on Teen Titans is pretty good.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
Basically only the title is the same between the comics and the TV show. There are some same characters like Robin, Superboy, and Impulse/Kid Flash, but nothing else too much similar. For instance, that Aqualad character didn't exist in the comics. Same with Artemis. Still, I know the comic got generally good reviews, and it was used as the foundation to launch the Teen Titans series that came out before The New 52. In fact, that Teen Titans series may be closer to the show than the actual Young Justice comic. I'm not a big fan of Geoff Johns, but his run on Teen Titans is pretty good.

Thank you for the help, I'll pick it up next time I go to the comic shop.

DarkGengar

Ghost Reaper
My collection has dwelled for the last year or so, no monies T-T I will definitely be getting more this month though.

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
The only comics I'm reading right now is New 52 Justice League of America. Martian Manhunter is my favorite DC hero.