• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Coming Back for the Cold (826)

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Coming Back into the Cold! gives off an all-too-familiar chill of the traditional Pokemon filler: Ash & Co. meet Pokemon X, yadda yadda yadda, Team Rocket gets involved with said Pokemon X, blah blah blah, Pokemon X is just fine. In this case, Ash & Co. meet up with Alexa once again, who is in Ambrette Town to do a report on a big discovery made by the scientists at the local fossil research lab. They have managed to recover a frozen Amaura and Aurorus, creatures that had previously been extinct. Ash & Co. form a bond with the Amaura before the traditional Pokemon filler plot kicks in. The writers did manage to throw in a couple little nuances, though. Amaura was quite cute and the friendship it formed with Ash & Co. was quite sweet. It was nice to see the distinctions of Serena's and Clemont's character, with the former not seeing the appeal in fossils while the latter exclaims in response:
Clemont: You can't be serious, can you? Don't you see: Fossils are filled with fun, not to mention science!
We did get a lame dub edit, with the researchers saying that Amaura's lack of a cold environment would cause it to weaken and be "in big trouble", while the original version implicated that Amaura might not survive the ordeal. It is a disappointing edit in that it lessens the intensity of the matter at hand, and is also quite confusing since death was not a problem (and quite a compelling addition to the plot) just a few episode ago in Seeking Shelter from the Storm. Nonetheless, the problem is more pressing than usual, as Amaura is shown to be quite weakened when held outside of it's traditional environment. It definitely adds to the drama.

Overall, this is a standard filler with perhaps slightly more substance than expected. Amaura is cute, Aurorus is cool, and Team Rocket still stinks.

Grade: C-

Side Note: I'm not a "filler hater". Quite the opposite. Much of Pokemon filler doesn't fit this traditional formula that I have detailed here, but it is the most common format of Pokemon filler episodes and usually never makes for a very compelling installment. I prefer those that detract from the norm and have substance and weight to them, such as the old classic The Pi-Kahuna and the newer aforementioned Seeking Shelter from the Storm.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Aww Amaura was adorable here which made me wish Ash could've kept it. Amaura and Aurorus needing to stay in cold environments made sense however, and I liked Alexa's return as well.

JudySpell

Banned
So Amaura would die if it gets too hot?? Sounds like how Charmander would die if its tail goes out. I didn't think we needed Alexa here. 6.5/10

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Rewatched this episode as well. It was nice seeing Alexa. Of course, I didn't like Team Rockets idea here. That poor Amaura though, they tried explaining if it get's too hot it's bye bye Amaura poorly. The episode was semi interesting

6/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Amaura was so cute in this episode. ^_^ Even if amaura and aurorus wouldn't be on my list of pokemon to battle with, they have such a great design. Seriously, though, how dark was it that Ash had to ask Team Rocket who they were before they started the motto? o_O It was great seeing Wobbuffet battle again, though. :)

7/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The kids playing with Amaura was extremely cute. I loved Amaura and Aurorus: they interacted so well and I enjoyed watching them. Serena could've use a win with Fennekin and Meowth actually being a threat against it would've been interesting.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Glad that this episode showcased Koujin Town's Fossil Laboratory, and the artificial frozen landscape that was made inside of it caught me off-guard, until we found out about Amarus's body temperature problem. What I enjoyed the most was how Amarus made auroras to signal Amaruruga. At least it sought help.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Amaura and Aurorus were beautiful in their anime debut. And Amaura was the epitome of cuteness. I also loved how the writers handled Aurorus. Not only did they give it its in-game cry, but it performed both facts that the X and Y Pokedex descriptions state.

DatsRight

I guess they are saving fennekin's strength for when it beats Iris' dragonite with one blow.

Doesn't look like that's ever happening. In fact Serena sadly didn't really get much better after this episode (though Team Rocket got a lot worse to hide it). See the Flare arc.

For some reason I was rooting for Meowth, after years being in one sided fights, finally making an opponent sneering he was a waste of time wet her pants was too cathartic. I would have preferred Serena at least tried to keep going for a full battle instead of her being saved the moment it got tough though. She can't even take MEOWTH fighting back?

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, Amarus's body temperature issue seemed silly since it implied that Amarus could only exist in cold places, which puts a huge limit on their habitat. It also means that most trainers in the anime can't even own an Amarus, which is depressing.