• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week

This week we're going to Sinnoh!

468.png

It's Togekiss!

Go nuts

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-swsh/togekiss/

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Togekiss everyone's favorite peace loving Pokémon is back for another generation, ensuring peace by making sure the opposition does not get to attack via Flinch Hax Shenanigans. And for the most part, the generational shift has been kind to Togekiss. The Metagame has slowed down a bit, making Togekiss' speed a lot more impressive and two of the fastest threats (Hydreigon and Dragapult) do NOT want to switch into Togekiss for fear of getting wrecked by a Dazzling Gleam.

Peace and Love on the Planet Earth
Togekiss
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: Leftovers
-Air Slash
-Thunderwave
-Dazzling Gleam
-Flamethrower/Aura Sphere
Nature: Timid (+SPE, -ATK) OR Modest (+SATK, -ATK)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SATK/252 SPE

Standard Togekiss. Paraflinch between Serene Grace Air Slash and Thunderwave gives most opponents a 1 in 4 chance to attack. That coupled with Togekiss' decent base 120 SATK means that Togekiss can wear through most pokémon with ease, while providing Speed control for the rest of the team. Dazzling Gleam's merits have been epoused earlier, hitting key threats in Hydreigon and Dragapult. Last move is how you want to deal with Air Slash resists. Flamethrower is generally the preferred choice, hitting every common Air Slash resist aside from Tyranitar (and Coalossal if going down to UU) hard. Aura Sphere does hit Tyranitar a good deal harder than Dazzling Gleam, but in return you will be exposing yourself to Aegislash.

Other Options
Nasty Plot -you can forgo Speed Control in exchange for Togekiss to muscle through some bulkier opposition that may prove too resilient for normal means.
Blunder Policy -neither Air Slash or Thunder Wave have perfect accuracy and the speed boost is greatly appreciated if luck decides to go against you, but they are generally reliable enough that this is a niche pick.

Favored Partners
Dracovish - Dracovish really enjoys the speed control in Thunder Wave and anti-Dragon Presence Togekiss has. In return, Dracovish smashes through sponges, Rock types, everything. Other physical sweepers/wallbreakers complement Togekiss' special capablities.
Defog/Rapid Spin -since Stealth Rocks really chew Togekiss up, having a Defogger or Rapid Spinner is greatly appreciated. Excadrill proves to be a standout choice, as it also provides a safe pivot into Electric, Steel, Rock and Poison moves that trouble Togekiss. Togekiss in return is a Ground Immune pivot that deals with predicted Earthquakes.

BillyBobJoe

Togekiss gains 2 more Fairy attacks this gen, yet both are still inferior to Dazzling for Togekiss’s play style.
I would like to mention Tri Attack. While Serene Grace only gives it a 40% chance compared to the 60% chance of Air Slash’s flinch, the potential for shenanigans from getting off one of the statuses is worth mentioning in my eyes.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I love Dynamaxing but oh my god, Togekiss is super annoying to deal with in the Dynamax meta. Togekiss has good defenses and if you combined that with Dynamax + Weakness policy + Max Airstream, Togekiss becomes a nightmare to deal with lol. In my experience, Togekiss might actually be the scariest DMAX Pokemon to face in the current meta.

GeeGee

Late to the party
Pros:
+85/95/115 bulk is phenomenal, and combined with fairy/flying typing makes togekiss able to come in and check many threats while being difficult to take down
+120 special attack and a huge offensive movepool allows togekiss to apply the hurt wherever it's needed
+Serence Grace and air slash results in a 60% flinch chance, combined with thunder wave means togekiss can lock something down almost indefinitely
+Huge support movepool includes follow me, helping hand for doubles, and thunder wave, wish, dual screens and more
+The new item Heavy duty boots allow togekiss to switch in on stealth rocks and avoid damage
+Monstrously powerful dynamax abuser thanks to its huge bulk and max air stream patching up is middling speed

Cons:
-80 speed is pretty mediocre, compared to last gen where it was flat out bad, but still leaves it out sped by a lot of threats
-The abundance of steel types like excadrill and corviknight means togekiss needs a way to switch in safely or risk getting smacked
-4 move slot syndrome means it can't run all the coverage and/or support moves it wants all at once

VGC Support
Nature: Bold
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: Babiri Berry
Ev's: 252 HP/252Def/4Spe
Moves:
-Air slash
-Thunder wave
-Follow me
-Protect/Helping hand

Togekiss makes a good partner for pokemon that want to set up and sweep, such as belly drum snorlax and any swords dance abuser. Thunder wave provides speed control for slower mons like dracovish, and follow me ensures teammates get their boosts or moves off without fear. Helping hand boosts gives teammates a power boost and helps to compensate for togekiss's lack of offensive presence. The babiri berry reduces damage from excadrill's iron head, but if you aren't afraid then you can run a pinch berry instead.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It's worth mentioning that Togekiss lost access to Roost this generation, which severely limits its defensive and stallbreaking potential. Defensive sets may work in Doubles (I'm not a Doubles player so I wouldn't know either way), but Togekiss is best running offensive sets in Singles. Nasty Plot + 3 attacks is one of its most solid sets and makes a fantastic Dynamax abuser that can often hax past its checks such as Toxapex with Air Slash flinches either before Dynamaxing or once it runs out.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
It's worth mentioning that Togekiss lost access to Roost this generation, which severely limits its defensive and stallbreaking potential.

Does Life Dew fill the void? It’s not as much of a boost but Togekiss retains its flying type and it works for both Pokémon in Doubles/VGC.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Does Life Dew fill the void? It’s not as much of a boost but Togekiss retains its flying type and it works for both Pokémon in Doubles/VGC.
Not really. Life Dew's paltry 25% recovery simply isn't enough to keep most Pokemon healthy, especially since Togekiss may be bulky but it's not that insanely bulky. It's going to be losing 25-40% to a lot of different Pokemon, which it could heal off with Roost but can't with Life Dew.

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
It's worth mentioning that Togekiss lost access to Roost this generation, which severely limits its defensive and stallbreaking potential. Defensive sets may work in Doubles (I'm not a Doubles player so I wouldn't know either way), but Togekiss is best running offensive sets in Singles. Nasty Plot + 3 attacks is one of its most solid sets and makes a fantastic Dynamax abuser that can often hax past its checks such as Toxapex with Air Slash flinches either before Dynamaxing or once it runs out.
I've been thinking. When Pokemon Home gets released, and if it turns out there are no restrictions to transfer moves (Like Toxic on any pre gen-8 Pokemon) does this mean the meta will change to reflect this? Or will competitive formats auto-ban transfer moves? If the former happens over the latter, then Roost Togekiss is still an option, you just have to wait and see.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I've been thinking. When Pokemon Home gets released, and if it turns out there are no restrictions to transfer moves (Like Toxic on any pre gen-8 Pokemon) does this mean the meta will change to reflect this? Or will competitive formats auto-ban transfer moves? If the former happens over the latter, then Roost Togekiss is still an option, you just have to wait and see.
Personally I hope they do auto-ban transfer moves or just auto-delete transfer moves because A) a lot of the previous ones lead up to broken combinations and B) one of the things that SwSh should be praised for is that they brought in a massive diverse selection of TMs/TRs to make up for the lack of transfer moves before Pokemon HOME comes out and by extension, updated a lot of Pokemon's move rosters, especially those who desperately need it to be at least okay.

Alita54

Could morning sun work almost as good as roost? It learns that through a egg move.

Status
Not open for further replies.