• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week, the generator output another Pokémon with a major change

122.png

It's Mr. Mime.

Mr. Mime previously had its own niche among the Psychic-types, but now it is part Fairy-type, it has even more uses

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/122.shtml

Go nuts

Ramplestilskin

A very good pokemon in Baton Pass team. His ability soudproof allows him to negate perish song, and it has access to good boosting moves such as nasty plot, calm mind or barrier. However, it defense is not very good, and it has very low HP, so he'll never use barrier.
All of his abilities are good, soudproof works well in BP, Filter makes him bulkier and technician gives him a boost on the a fairy STAB attack he has : HP fairy, making it stronger than dazzling gleam.
Moreover, his typing is quite good, he no longer has the cripling Dark-type weakness, and he's immune to dragon-type attacks. But one can keep in mind that dragon type like Mence, Dnite or Garchomp has another very strong attack : Earthquake, that destroy Mr. Mime.

To put it in a nutshell:
Positives:
-A new and usefull type, very good for a defensive pokemon
-Three abilities usefull, and a one buffed, working very well in BP team
-Very good Sp. Def and Sp. atk stats, with an not so bad speed

Negatives :
-Despite of his fairy type, he can't KO Dragon
-He has very bad HP and Defense, so he'll died to any physical attack, except Fighting ones may be
-Somewhere outclassed by the new gardevoir, same typing and better stats

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Ah… Mr. Mime, a pokemon that was only available via in-game trade, look how far you have come. On second thought Alakazam is way better…

Typing: Mr. Mime is one of two pure Psychic Families that got rebranded with an additional Fairy type. This is a boon to the mime pokemon, both offensively and defensively. The Mime lost its weakness to Bug and Dark moves, gained a x4 resist against Fighting and an immunity to Dragon. The cost is that the Mime also gained weaknesses to Poison and Steel, the latter far more troubling. Overall, the Psychic-Fairy type combination has 2 resists (one that is 4x), 1 immunity and 3 weaknesses. Far better than the two resists and 3 weaknesses it originally had.
Psychic and Fairy is a decent STAB combination. Fairy covers Dark types and Psychic covers Poison types, though both are walled by Steel.

Stats: Mr. Mime is both blessed and cursed by its stats. Base 100 SATK is respectable and base 120 SDEF is phenomenal, but a SPD of 90 hinders sweeping and base 65 DEF makes walling everything risky. What really kills the mime’s bulkiness is the horrid base 40 HP. That means even special attacks can take a sizeable chunk out of Mr. Mime’s HP and physical attacks will drop it faster than a flaming potato. Too slow to reliably sweep, too fast for trick room, too weak to muscle through walls, too frail to take a hit. What can Mr. Mime do?

Moves: Quite a bit actually. As mentioned before, Mr. Mime has quite a usable special attack stat, and has a fairly decent special movepool. In addition to special Psychic and Fairy STABS, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Grass Knot, Solar Beam, Thunder, and Focus Blast make up its special move pool. Boosting options in the form of Nasty Plot, Charge Beam and Calm Mind give its offense an even larger sting. While we are on the topic of boosting, Mr. Mime also has access to Barrier as well, which is worth some consideration in a Baton Pass chain, something Mr. Mime can take part in. In addition to Baton Pass, Toxic and weather inducers Mr. Mime has a plethora of support options; its signature Reflect, Light Screen and Safe Guard shield its team mates, while Power Swap and Guard Swap can mess with foes. Encore, Fake Out and Trick enable even more trickery, further sabotaging the opposing team.

Ability: Another case of three viable abilities; Soundproof is the most situational of them all, protecting Mr. Mime from several rare and not so rare moves. In fact, this ability is the reason Roar and Heal Bell have fallen out of popularity. Filter on the other hand is a fantastic ability; reducing super effective hits by 25% is gladly welcomed on something as frail as Mr. Mime. Technician could be used for a gimmicky sweeping set, but the buff it gives to Hidden Power is greatly appreciated.

The Verdict: Ssshhh. That’s the sound of your pockets being picked. Mr. Mime has many thing against it; not blistering fast, fairly frail, and an underwhelming attack prowess. What it brings to the table is a very large bag of tricks, enabling it to sabotage an opposing team in a myriad of ways… as long as it can live long enough to do so.

Kraleck

A blast from the past meets the Type of the future. Let's rock...

Stats:
-HP - Bad-bordering-Terrible - Not the best start. Base 40 makes you as vulnerable as hiding behind a fake wall that impedes a mime's progress.
-Attack - Bad - Yuck. Base 45 means stick with Special Moves.
-Defense - Below Average-bordering-Mediocre - Base 65...could be worse, but remember your HP.
-Sp.Atk - Great - Our first glimmer of hope. Base 100 gives you a bit of oomph in your offense.
-Sp.Def - Godly - Base 120 isn't as great with that low HP, but it's something.
-Speed - Good (non-Trick Room) - Base 90 is outrun by many things, but not ones you're likely to face.

Abilities:
-Soundproof - Immunity to Sound-based Moves. Worse now thanks to being a Fairy Type and neutral to Bug Buzz, but there are many nasty Sound-based Moves like Roar and Perish Song.
-Filter - Super Effective Moves taken reduced by 25%. Less usable due to very low HP, but you really only exchanged your Bug and Dark Weaknesses for Poison and Steel.
-Technician (Hidden, Available [Horde]) - Moves with Base 60 (or less) Power increased by 50%. Huge benefit with Moves like Hidden Power, Magical Leaf, Charge Beam, Icy Wind, and Infestation.

Overall, your sparkly new Fairy Type gave you Poison and Steel Weaknesses and doubled Fighting Resistance in exchange for your old Bug and Dark Weaknesses, but Psychic handles Poison well enough and Steel is something you'd switch on anyway. Not the best upgrade, but not a detriment.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
All of his abilities are good, soudproof works well in BP, Filter makes him bulkier and technician gives him a boost on the a fairy STAB attack he has : HP fairy, making it stronger than dazzling gleam.
Hidden Power cannot be Fairy Type. Check the game mechanics page.

Ramplestilskin

Hidden Power cannot be Fairy Type. Check the game mechanics page.
Ow, that's right. Sorry, I really thought it existed, it seemed weird to me that HP fairy would not be implemented, as it is for the weakness berry, or the plate.
Very sorry, I'll verify my sources next time. But other HP are still viable, as you said ^^
I also said that soudproof prevent perish song, however I think i didn't understand the whole mechanic. It's written that persih song is not nullify if you switch out. Does it mean if you are already perished, switching on Mr. Mime won't nullify, or does it mean if someone persih on Mr. Mime, and then it BP, then the next pokemon will have the perish?

halodeoxys

wanna see me run to that mountain and back
Just a dumb set I think is fun.

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SPDef
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Charge Beam
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Psyshock

Just a gimmicky fun set. Nasty plot is your boosting move to pump mimes average SPAtk, but Charge beam does base 75 damage with technician, which is decent, plus it will probably raise your SpAtk, which is great. Psyshock and Dazzling gleam are your STABs and the damage really starts to pile up with charge beam/nasty plot. Hidden Power is guaranteed to be boosted to base 90 power now with technician so HP fire basically becomes a flamethrower to smack steels and other stuff with.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Mr. Mime is strictly a Baton Passer.
Soundproof is a much more amazing ability this generation. Now that sound moves bypass substitute, Mr. Mime can laugh it off as Bug Buzz, Hyper Voice, and the new Boomburst fail to make an impression on this creepy-looking thing. It has a few things to pass and has somewhat of a nice movepool.
But that is where all of the positive traits end.
A non-Baton Pass variation would have been able to display Mr. Mime's other ability Filter, a sweet ability. Problem is, Mr. Mime has the physical bulk of wet toilet paper. Sir Mime's offensive potency is also limited. Not only that, Mr. Mime is weak to two common priority moves: Bullet Punch (from Scizor, some Lucario, and Metagross) and Shadow Sneak (from the new Aegislash). Mr. Mime's low HP means that its substitutes don't last long, which is a problem, thanks to its vulnerability to status when the subs are not up. It does have Misty Terrain and Safeguard to help with that problem though. The final problem is not a competitive one: Mr. Mime can be a female. I personally have never referred to a woman as "Mister", so I think that needs to be corrected.

The thing that shouldn't talk (Offensive-ish Baton Pass)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP and defense, 4 special attack
@: Leftovers

Substitute
Baton Pass
Dazzling Gleam
Nasty Plot

It doesn't get much simpler than this set. Sub and Baton Pass is the core. If more is what you want to pass, Nasty Plot is perfect. For offense, Dazzling Gleam is the move of choice. It gets STAB and there is nothing immune to Fairy except the piece of junk known as Shedinja.

Invisible Walls (Bulky Baton Pass)
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP and defense, 4 special defense
@: Leftovers/Lum Berry

Baton Pass
Substitute
Barrier
Calm Mind

Nothing but Pass. Taunt will quickly mess you up, so be careful, or be quick.

What Mimes tend to Build (Dual Screens)
Nature: Bold
Ability: Filter (Soundproof if running Substitute)
EVs: 252 HP and defense, 4 special defense
@: Light Clay/Leftovers

Reflect
Light Screen
Misty Terrain/Safeguard/Dazzling Gleam/Baton Pass
Substitute/Dazzling Gleam

This set is not about Mr. Mime, but the team Mr. Mime is on. Safeguard will protect your entire team from status, but Misty Terrain, while only effective on grounded Pokemon and helps your opponent, can cut the damage you take from grounded Outrages, Draco Meteors, and other Dragon type attacks. Substitute also protects from status, but it does not help Mr. Mime's teammates unless you run Baton Pass with it. Dazzling Gleam is Mr. Mime's best STAB move.

Other options:
Here is a list of great support moves Mr. Mime has:
Trick
Recycle
Taunt
Torment
Thunder Wave
Hypnosis
Healing Wish
Encore
Trick and Healing Wish are the two best for Mr. Mime. Trick and Encore are better done by other Pokemon, but Healing Wish can be used on the Dual Screens set.
Mr. Mime's other offensive options are:
Psychic
Psyshock
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Energy Ball
Grass Knot
Icy Wind
Problem is, Mr. Mime is a piece of junk on the offensive, especially when Alakazam and Latios exist.

Counters:
Scizor, Metagross, and Aegislash are your best friends. They pack a resistance to Dazzling Gleam and Bullet Punch for the former two and Shadow Sneak in the case of the latter. Anything that has Prankster and Taunt is going to ruin Mr. Mime for good. If those fail for some reason or you don't have those, bust out your heaviest physical attackers and Mr. Mime will go down.

NathanLuxe

I build something weird here, but go with me:

Special Support:
Baton Pass
Nasty Plot
Substitute/Reflect/Light Screen/Barrier/Hypnosis
Substitute/Reflect/Light Screen/Barrier/Hypnosis
Bold Nature 4 HP/ 252 Def/ 252 SpDef
Filter Ability, Holds Weakness Policy

This guy is here to set up an amazing Special Attacker.
Baton Pass is obvious. Nasty Plot is for The SpAtk boost.
The next two are up to you. You can Put a sub and baton pass it, put reflect or light screen to help your team, Barrier for the Def boost or Hypnosis to annoy the other guy.
His SpDef is awesome, and the bold nature + Max EVs in defence balance him out so he can be safe for a few turns.
Filter is awesome. Someone hit you with Shadow ball or bullet punch? take less. Yeah, just like that. And If that isn't enough, Weakness policy is there so the boost will be even better!

Use with: Pokemon you want to raise their SpAtk. Mega Alakazam for example

backwardinduction

One set I've run on Showdown which actually decent success is a Trickster Mime set!

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Technician
Modest/Timid
252 SpAtk/252 Speed/ 6 HP
Trick
Dazzling Gleam
Icy Wind/Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fire/Shadow Ball

Whereas Gardevoir can run a similar set better, it only gets Trick at the moment from being transferred from Gen V, whereas Mr. Mime learns it by level up or breeding. I prefer choice scarf so you can surprise people and revenge kill very effectively, and Dazzling Gleam actually hits pretty hard with a modest nature. Icy Wind gets a technician buff to 87.5 (I think?) bass power and lowers speed, to help other pokemon should Mr.Mime fail. Shadow Ball gives perfect coverage bar Pyroar with a fairy move, and Hidden Power Fire gets buffed to base 90 power (flamethrower!) and lets you dispatch Scizor and Ferrothorn. Tricking the choice item lets you cripple walls and pranksters and whatnot.

Still bullet punch destroys this set, so you'll have to watch for that, but few people expect Mr. Mime to be so fast and dangerous, and it can OHKO and 2HKO a lot of pokemon with its moves.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
Me. Mime is a cool dude. He's also the face of true terror. He waits for you to go to sleep. He crawls on your walls and ceilings. He'll even eat your pudding and science projects. Behold Mr. Mime, who can't wait to dine on your eyes.

Climb the Walls
Mr. Mime @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
Filter
252 Def 252 Spdef 4 HP
Reflect
Light Screen
Psyshock
Dazzling Gleam
Dual Screens, bro. Throw some STAB in there. Not much else to say. Invisible walls is a Mime's thing. Screen up and get out.
Whisper
Mr. Mime@Mental Herb
Timid
Filter
252 Speed 252 Def 4 Sp def
Barrier
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Substitute

Mimes don't speak but when they do, they might pass on their power. Yes, even you can obtain the power of a Mime without completing the ritual where you must sacrifice three French men and women on the night of a new moon.
Pass on the defense from barrier, the special attack and defense from calm mind and the substitute to a more deserving pokemon. If you're still alive, that is. Also, watch out for taunt.

Vow of Silence
Mr. Mime@ Choice Specs
Timid
Technician
252 Speed 252 Sp. Attu 4 HP
Trick
Icy wind/Charge beam/ Magical leaf
Psyshock
Dazzling Gleam

Has the Mime's vow of silence ever seemed.... Suspicious to you? Perhaps I'm paranoid or perhaps he just slipped your baguette out of your hands, while you weren't paying attention and replaced it with something else. Basic trick. Cripple a pokemon by giving them choice. Your choosing of icy wind, charge beam or magical leaf. It all comes down the preference. And then the obligatory STAB moves.

He-HO
Mr. Mime @ leftovers/Weakness Policy
Timid
Technician
252 Speed 252 Sp. Attk 4 HP
Nasty Plot
Psyshock
Dazzling Gleam
Hidden Power: Fighting

I'm not sure how far you'll get with an offensive Mime when Alakazam exists but.. Basic STAB yadda yadda. Hidden power Fighting to smack around Steel types. Blah blah blah, redundant redundant redundant. Not really much else to say...

But... Now that it's been brought up.... How come there isn't a Hidden power: fairy?

Kraleck

Ow, that's right. Sorry, I really thought it existed, it seemed weird to me that HP fairy would not be implemented, as it is for the weakness berry, or the plate.
Very sorry, I'll verify my sources next time. But other HP are still viable, as you said ^^
I also said that soudproof prevent perish song, however I think i didn't understand the whole mechanic. It's written that persih song is not nullify if you switch out. Does it mean if you are already perished, switching on Mr. Mime won't nullify, or does it mean if someone persih on Mr. Mime, and then it BP, then the next pokemon will have the perish?

Basically, if Perish Song is Baton Passed to a Soundproof Pokémon, it will not nullify Perish Song's effect on the Soundproof Pokémon. Soundproof would only prevent Perish Song upon its initial use, but not the ongoing effect if it's Baton Passed to a Soundproof Pokémon. That's why it's a solid counter to Baton Pass chains.

Swoobat

Even with its new Fairy-type, Mr. Mime is really bad in OU, it should just stick to Baton Pass. It's a pity this analysis arrives before NU exists, because there Mr. Mime will be a decent Pokémon.

Nulava

Banned
Mr. Mime @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Filter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~Psychic / Psyshock
~Baton Pass / Substitute
~Nasty Plot
~Focus Blast / Signal Beam

sonnytapman

Master of Mawile
Modest nature
Focus Sash
Moves:
Physhock
Reflect/Barrier.
Light Screen/Baton Pass
Dazzling Gleam

A bit of an odd set up. For my money, Mr. Mime either works as the ideal screener or someone who will set up, damage, and then once hitting the 1 HP with a Focus Sash, switch with Baton Pass.

Kind of sucks that I don't really like Mr. Mime, because I just found trying one the other day and I want to use it and brag, but I couldn't find a place for it on my team.

Kraleck

As an interesting option, Mr. Mime has access to Power Split. This can nerf quite a few Attackers if you can get it off safely. Plus, you can buff your own Attack and Sp.Atk if used against the right Pokémon. Too bad it doesn't get Guard Split - Defense could use some serious help, especially with that terrible HP stat.

Some choice Pokémon to use Power Split against include Rampardos, Rhyperior, Gigalith, Escavalier, Ursaring, Tyrantrum, Golem, and Druddigon due to their Huge Attack, Low Speed, near-guarantee to exclusively use Physical Moves, and lack of Priority. They will likely run when their Attack is severely cut down to size.

Then again, Power Split can also allow for the rare Physical Mr. Mime...

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Filter w/ Assault Vest/Life Orb
Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 130 Speed, 128 Sp Defense
Psyshock/Psychic
Dazzling Gleam
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Countering
High Attack and Sp Defense with Poison/Ghost/Steel-type moves like Dusknoir, Ferrothorn, Shadow Claw Kangaskhan, or Escavaleir.

Status
Not open for further replies.