• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week the RNG spat out another classic Pokémon, although unfortunately another that wasn't actually natively in Sun & Moon

303.png
megamawile.png

It's Mawile & Mega Mawile

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/303.shtml

Go nuts

Regular Mawile:

Pros:
- Extremely defensive type combination, having 9 resistences, 2 immunities and only 2 2x weaknesses.
- Decent attack and defense
- Diverse movepool such as Elemental Punches, Iron Head, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Payback, Stone Edge, etc.
- Slow enough to sweep under Trick Room
- All abilities are useful under competitive move set

Cons:
- The two weaknesses are pretty common
- Lack reliable recovery move to tank

MEGA MAWILE:

Pros:
- Beastly physical offense combined with Huge Power makes Mawile an unstoppable beast!
- Great boost in Defense and Sp Defense which makes it more effective to absorb some moves.

Cons:
- Lacks HP boost

HeatEdgeSword

Cons:
- Lacks HP boost

No Mega Evolutions receive any HP boost whatsoever.

I never actually use Mega Mawile before, but I will try. This is for doubles.

Item: Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate/Hyper Cutter
Nature: Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 Defense
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Intimidate is pretty good for lowering two Pokemon's Attack. While Hyper Cutter isn't as useful as Intimidate, it prevents Mawile's Attack stat being lowered before it mega evolves.

The moveset is pretty straightforward. Play Rough is its strongest attack, Iron Head is its most reliable move and Sucker Punch might allow Mega Mawile to strike before its opponent does. Mega Mawile should only use Sucker Punch if its opponent has low health or being weak to Dark-type.

Its other option includes Rock Slide (it's a spread move) and Ice Punch (hits Flying-type and Ground-type). I generally don't care about team option all that much, but I guess a teammate with Trick Room will make it more dangerous than before.

generic villager #5

Your ad here!
I can't speak so much for Ubers, but in Gen 6 BSS Mega Mawile was flat-out scary, and I see no reason that would change in Gen 7 (once Mawile is available, that is.) If you played BSS at all, this set probably seems familiar:

Item: Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate (-->Huge Power)
EVs/Nature: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe, Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Iron Head / Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Pretty simple stuff here. Mega Mawile has such incredible Attack after Huge Power that this set can mow down even defensively oriented teams. If something with really high Defense that resists your attacks gets in your way, use Swords Dance. Mawile is immune to Toxic, so it can handle some stall attempts quite well. Play Rough is obvious and poorly-resisted STAB, Sucker Punch makes up for Mawile's subpar speed and has solid coverage with Play Rough. Knock Off has incredible utility and doesn't need your opponent to use a damaging attack, but Iron Head is another STAB and Fire Fang rounds out coverage with Play Rough nicely.

Mega Mawile is pretty simple, but its low Speed and difficulty with some Steel- and Fire-types mean that it's far from invincible. Be sure to keep up those Stealth Rocks, because otherwise you'll be bait for the Mega Charizards.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Unless I'm missing something Mawilte is unavailable, and we have no idea if we're even getting it when Bank finally comes out (I'm willing to bet we won't). I wouldn't bother doing a write up for it.

Vanilla Mawile is just a bad Pokémon. While it has a great typing, a good movepool, and decent abilities, it's stuck with bad to mediocre stats across the board. Smogon's lower tiers are also still in development so we don't even have a place to recommend using Mawile.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't care much for smogon tiers to be honest, this is not smogon. A lot of places don't take them into account, like battle spot, alola competition, vgc, etc. I personally think PotW serebii is already a bit too limited, seemingly using rules like Sleep clause that aren't even official, while not having a spot for official stuff like Battle Royal, while a whole lot of pokémon have completely different viabilities in Royal compared to 6v6 singles.

That said, I don't know why we're treating Mawile either as it's indeed unavailable. And not only that, I don't think it changed whatsoever since last gen. And yes I know it's RNG, but serebii runs that RNG and decides which pokémon to put in that pool.

I don't care much for smogon tiers to be honest, this is not smogon. A lot of places don't take them into account, like battle spot, alola competition, vgc, etc. I personally think PotW serebii is already a bit too limited, seemingly using rules like Sleep clause that aren't even official, while not having a spot for official stuff like Battle Royal, while a whole lot of pokémon have completely different viabilities in Royal compared to 6v6 singles.

If you take away Smogon tiers, then you're basically forced to write bad reviews for bad Pokemon, unless you want to outright lie about how good the Pokemon is. Mawile is bad in open environments like OU and Battle Spot. It's weak, it's frail, it's slow, and it's outclassed. Meanwhile, it was actually okay in ORAS NU and great in PU. Writing for one of those lower tiers allows a writer to put a much more positive spin on it, in an honest way. As someone who witnessed a whole bunch of GameFAQs drama back when I was still writing for the POTW, I can easily tell you that people in the casual community as a whole would much rather see us write a positive review based on Smogon's lower tiers than see us write a negative review based on open environments.

On a side note, Battle Royal is a gimmick format, and it'll probably fade away over the next couple of generations just like Triple and Rotational Battles before it. Singles and Doubles are still by far the most played formats. Introducing more formats would just be unnecessary clutter.

REMARCABLE

Mawile was a mediocre Pokemon, but Gen 6 made it into an absolute monstrous force with two changes.

1. It was given the Fairy typing; a solid typing on it's own but combined with Mawile's already Steel type made it one of the best defensive typings in the game.
2. It was given Mega Evolution powers and not just any Mega power, HUGE power, literally. Mega Mawile now sported a base 105 attack being doubled by it's new ability.

Mawile was given the title of being one of the strongest Pokemon in the VGC15 and 16 metagame, it not only had such offensive presence but it's typing and Intimidate made it quite the pain to take down against physical attackers short of Fire and Ground, it's low speed was perfect for Trick Room and Sucker Punch made it so it has priority at its disposal.

Mega Mawile is an offensive Pokemon by trade

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves

That said, I don't know why we're treating Mawile either as it's indeed unavailable. And not only that, I don't think it changed whatsoever since last gen. And yes I know it's RNG, but serebii runs that RNG and decides which pokémon to put in that pool.
Gonna echo jesusfreak94 and add that I seriously doubt that vanilla Mawile has any niche in Battle Royal.

Ah, good old Mawile. I used to be a terror with this thing. This is the set that I ran in ORAS and was actually viable as a vanilla.
Mawile:
Level 50
EV:252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP
Ability: Sheer Force
Item: Life Orb
Moves:
Iron Head
Play Rough
Ice Fang
Protect
This is your powerhouse of all steels. Sheer Force cancels out Life Orb's recoil, so we can just pound on the opponent. Iron Head and Play Rough are your STAB's, and Ice Fang is to save yourself from ground types. Protect is for longevity so that Mawile doesn't die off if you time it right, and that's how you run Mawile. A quick note on this is it only works in singles, otherwise Mawile falls apart. Good luck to anyone trying to run this one.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
So Bank is out and - as far as I can tell (haven't used it myself) - there's no sign of Mawilite. Considering that we have no idea when it'll be released (could be if/when we get Gen IV remakes for all we know) I once against say we that forgo a Mega writeup.

I also pity the person who has to do this without the Mega to fall back on.

Ah, good old Mawile. I used to be a terror with this thing. This is the set that I ran in ORAS and was actually viable as a vanilla.
Mawile:
Level 50
EV:252 Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP
Ability: Sheer Force
Item: Life Orb
Moves:
Iron Head
Play Rough
Ice Fang
Protect
This is your powerhouse of all steels. Sheer Force cancels out Life Orb's recoil, so we can just pound on the opponent. Iron Head and Play Rough are your STAB's, and Ice Fang is to save yourself from ground types. Protect is for longevity so that Mawile doesn't die off if you time it right, and that's how you run Mawile. A quick note on this is it only works in singles, otherwise Mawile falls apart. Good luck to anyone trying to run this one.
You're honestly overselling Mawile; I can think of a good number of Steels more effective than it due to higher speed and bulk (and probably power, but I'm not going to calc stuff right now), like the newly buffed Mega Metagross or even offensive Celesteela. Protect also does nothing for Mawile in Singles because it lacks any sort of reason to use it (no Wish, no Lefties, no Leech Seed, it's not like Doubles where you can get ganged up on) and just eats a coverage slot.

The set also has no way of hitting other Steel-types, which wall Mawile without Fire Fang.

BlazingRagnarok

So Bank is out and - as far as I can tell (haven't used it myself) - there's no sign of Mawilite. Considering that we have no idea when it'll be released (could be if/when we get Gen IV remakes for all we know) I once against say we that forgo a Mega writeup.

I also pity the person who has to do this without the Mega to fall back on.
If the previous Gen 6 write-ups could devote a moveset section to the acrobatics-flying gem combo (in Talonflame's entry, for example) without it being available, then I fail to see what would be wrong with a mega entry, assuming its illegality is noted.

Yeah, we had done articles in the past that included unreleased stuff. It was allowed so long as we also made it clear that it was unreleased and that particular part of the article was based on how good something might be if it were released. It's speculation, but keep in mind that these articles are for entertainment as much as they are for advice. A little theorymon is better than nothing.

Yeah, sorry Karxrida, I always forget Metagross and the UB's, mainly because I haven't tested them and, in Metagross' case, don't own one to test with. I'm new, by the way, so please, feel free to point out if my strategies could be fixed, and how to fix them. I'll always be backing up Mawile, though, because it was actually my first Pokémon I caught, because I didn't realize I had PokéBalls until I encountered one, I was young at the time. I hope that my strategy is at least ok, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.