• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and we get our first Sinnoh Pokémon in our Gen VI.

435.png

It's Skuntank. Skuntank is going to get more use now that it can destroy Fairy-types like crazy

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/435.shtml

Go nuts

jr0904

Beginning Trainer
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and we get our first Sinnoh Pokémon in our Gen VI.

435.png

It's Skuntank. Skuntank is going to get more use now that it can destroy Fairy-types like crazy

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/435.shtml

Go nuts

That's an understatement. Which was why they made the fairy type weak to poison and steel types in the first place.

and its even more so with Wissmicott considering it have the new Grass-Fairy type which makes it 4X weak to poison.

I'd just like to let you know that the post about Mr. Mime has gone bad somehow. Scroll down and you'll notice. Something went wrong with uploading I guess

Kraleck

Skuntank. I actually liked this Pokémon's concept early on, despite not being very high up in the usability column. Many people give Poison Types a bad rap, but Fairy is a nuisance that Skuntank can gas out.

Stats:
-HP - Great - You're in 101+ HP Substitute territory with Base 103 HP.
-Attack - Good-bordering-Great - Base 93 is rather solid Attack for something this squishy...
-Defense - Below Average-bordering-Mediocre - ...and I do mean squishy. Base 67 doesn't do you too many favors, but your high HP can help offset that.
-Sp.Atk - Below Average - Not so good on Sp.Atk with Base 71, but not so bad.
-Sp.Def - Mediocre - Did I mention squishy? Base 61 makes you squishier.
-Speed - Borderline (Non-Trick Room) - Base 80 is the lowest point I'd suggest for a Non-Trick Room Pokémon's Speed and Skuntank barely rises above that at Base 84.

Abilities:
-Stench - Lowers encounter rate in the field and has a chance to inflict Flinching with Contact Moves. Not so good with that Speed, but not a bad thing.
-Aftermath - Deals 25% of an Opponent's Max HP in damage if KO'd by a Contact Move. An awesome way to discourage Priority, but most people prefer something a little more active.
-Keen Eye (Hidden, Available [Horde]) - Cannot receive Accuracy debuffs and, in Gen VI, ignores Evasion buffs. Not bad, but most people consider Evasion kinda cheatsy out of principle.

Overall, not a bad Pokémon, but outclassed by many of its fellow Poison Types and Dark Types. Its Movepool is decent, but lacks some diversity, and it is Weak only to Ground, but the squish-factor is rather high nonetheless.

backwardinduction

Well, skin tanks best niche is that it can far away entry hazards in the lower tiers since it got defog in DP.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Aftermath
Jolly Nature
252 HP/252 Spd/6 HP
Defog
Poison Jab
Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Pursuit
Taunt/ Play Rough (people posting below are unsure if play rough would be compatible with defog or not?)

This is the best utility skuntank can get. I have no idea what pokemon are used in NU to set up hazards (just drapion and accelgor in RU really). But hopefully Skuntanks coverage and STAB beats them, which it could if people use Maractus or Cacturne. Drapion is probably better but sets up toxic spikes rather than clears rocks and spikes away. Overall Skuntank will provide decent utility by farting away hazards and fighting off NU's psychics and the fairies thay fall from OU when the glitz is over. It could probably be viable in RU and UK for these reasons if it's typing fit a team that needed a defogger not weak to electric/rock/ice and could help kill fairies ghosts and psychics. Other than that aftermath let's it at least dent those that kill it and could provide hilarious draws if it's the last pokemon standing! Taunt stops entry hazard users from setting them up again after a defog and has great utility and synergy with sucker punch. Play Rough seems incompatible with defog as it's a transfer move, but people posting below seem unsure. As for EVs, a more offensive and less bulky spread works too.

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I've always had a soft spot for Skuntank, even though it isn't that great. Why? IT'S A SKUNK!! IT ACTUALLY TOOK GAMEFREAK FOUR GENERATIONS TO MAKE A SKUNK POKEMON!!!!
With that out of my system, Skuntank is a case of hit-and-miss, mostly miss unfortunately. Skuntank's stats and movepool are both really good and really bad at the same time in a very strange way. Let's look at a some movesets.

So Cute, yet So Smelly
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP and speed, 4 attack
@: Black Sludge

Defog
Pursuit
Poison Jab
Toxic

I don't EVER want to be near a Skuntank's use of Defog. On that note, Defog is Skuntank's newly prized gem. Defog's new ability to remove entry hazards is a major bonus, and Skuntank actually does well with it. Pursuit will keep hazard droppers on the field or die running, even Steel types thanks to Steel's loss of Dark resistance. Poison Jab is STAB and Toxic is filler.

Long Range Stinker!!
Nature: Modest
Ability: Stench/Aftermath
EVs: 252 special attack and HP, 4 special defense
@: Life Orb

Sludge Bomb
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast
Memento/Defog

Skuntank doesn't have much of a Special attacking movepool, but Dark/Poison/Fire has pretty good coverage. If that fails, Skuntank will leave a Memento that requires an Aromatisse. If suicide isn't your thing, Defog is a great option.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Skunktank, the signature pokemon of Galactic Admin Jupiter. I’m still not impressed.

Typing: The Dark-Poison type combo is great, only offering one weakness, in exchange for 4 resistances and an Immunity. A type combo relatively unchanged by the generational shift, Dark-Poison is ready to make a strong showing. The only downside is that the sole weakness is ground. A pokemon weak to ground must worry about the ever common Earthquake but having that as your only weakness isn’t that bad.
As a STAB combination, Dark and Poison complement each other, offering a wide range of neutral coverage with no common monotype resistances, with Klefki and other Dark-Poison types being the only resists coming to mind.

Stats: Here comes one of the main reasons I am not impressed with Skunktank. Its HP is fantastic, sitting at a base 103, it is the only stat that exceeds base 100. This would be the start of a decent tank if both of Skunktank’s defenses weren’t below average (67 and 61). Base 93 ATK is definitely usable, but you won’t win any awards or kill any walls with that kind of attack. And sitting at an odd base 84 speed means more often than not, Skunktank will be eating an attack with its subpar defenses both in and out of Trick Room. Its SATK is barely decent, but Skunktank is struggling to kill as is with its better ATK.

Moves: Skunktank has quite a varied movepool, and typical of a dark type, holds many quirky saboteur like moves. With physical stabs like Poison Jab, Sucker Punch, Pursuit and Foul Play, Skuntank presents itself as an unpredictable foe, but that constitutes the near entirety of its physical movepool. The only other mentions are Explosion, Return, Double Edge, Play Rough, Dig and Iron Tail. Speaking of Explosion, Skunktank also possesses the suicidal Memento. Filling out its support movepool are the mandatory Toxic and Substitute plus the fantastic Haze.

Abilities: And rounding out a mediocre/quirky pokemon are mediocre/quirky abilities. Stench is interesting, having synergy with Sucker Punch, but that is it. Aftermath is a fantastic blow for weakening pokemon that attack directly. Sadly Earthquake is not DC. Finally there is Keen Eye, useless in competitive play, but useful for computers that spam double team.

The Verdict: Everyone come see the amazing exploding skunk! Skunktank is an admittedly interesting pokemon, possessing many things that could make it great or would make other pokemon great. The problem is that few of these possess synergy to bring the skunk into the spotlight.

YagamiNoir4896

Yes, the king of NU Pursuit trappers, back with a myraid of new tricks and buffs. The typing changes are what make Skuntank so happy this gen; Poison/Dark now has near unresisted coverage due to Steel no longer resisting Dark, and with Fairies, Poison actually possesses some use. Play Rough is yet another fantastic gift in Skuntank's arsenal that allows it to deal with bulky Fighting types such as Gurdurr. Unfortunately, Play Rough is illegal with Sucker Punch, one of Skuntank's main selling points.

Aside from that, Skuntank still remains as it is with it's mediocre stats; 103/67/61 defenses alongside a good defensive typing is solid, but not fantastic. It's 93/71/84 offenses still remain inadequate especially towards a few notable physical walls even with the Steel nerf.

Smells of Choice

Skuntank @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Aftermath/Stench
EV Spread: 4 HP/252 Attack/84 Special Defense/168 Speed if Jolly; 4 HP/252 Attack/28 Special Defense/224 Speed if Adamant

Pursuit
Crunch
Poison Jab
Play Rough/Sucker Punch/Explosion

Here we have Choice Band Skuntank, boasting a decent 469 Attack with Adamant. Pursuit is one of Skuntank's notable moves, easily slaughtering anything that decides to switch out, notably Psychic and Ghost types. Crunch adds to the list of Skuntank's mind games and is it's most reliable STAB move; Poison Jab is another solid STAB move that allows it to break through Fairy types and Tangela; the final move depends on your prefeences. Play Rough is easily Skuntank's best coverage move; former walls such as Gurdurr, Throh and Mandibuzz are immediately 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks. A Choice-locked Sucker Punch may seem a bad idea, but the element of surprise and the nice priority makes it a noteworthy option. Explosion allows it to get the last laugh on Pokes that wall it no matter what, such as Weezing and Seismitoad. The given EV Spread allows it to outspeed Adamant Sawk on the Jolly set, and on the Adamant set, neutral 252 80s.

YagamiNoir4896

Well, skin tanks best niche is that it can far away entry hazards in the lower tiers since it got defog in DP.

Skin tank @ Black Sludge
Aftermath
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Defog
Poison Jab
Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Pursuit
Play Rough

This is the best utility skuntank can get. I have no idea what pokemon are used in NU to set up hazards (just drapion and accelgor in RU really). But hopefully Skuntanks coverage and STAB beats them, which it could if people use Maractus or Cacturne. Drapion is probably better but sets up toxic spikes rather than clears rocks and spikes away. Overall Skuntank will provide decent utility by farting away hazards and fighting off NU's psychics and the fairies thay fall from OU when the glitz is over. It could probably be viable in RU and UK for these reasons if it's typing fit a team that needed a defogger not weak to electric/rock/ice and could help kill fairies ghosts and psychics. Other than that aftermath let's it at least dent those that kill it and could provide hilarious draws if it's the last pokemon standing!

Pardon my double post; unless I'm ignorant of how the new breeding mechanics work, Defog is illegal with Play Rough.

sonnytapman

Master of Mawile
As ironic as it is, Skuntank does incredibly well if it has Play Rough, for type coverage.

Irony Set
Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
-Play Rough
-Foul Play/Punishment/Pursuit
-Poison Jab
-Memento

Play Rough is for coverage and power, Foul Play is the strongest dark move available, Punishment is for sweepers that set up or Baton Pass, Pursuit to give chase to switchers, Poison Jab for the alternative STAB and for dealing with Fairy Types, and Memento as a last final blow against physical attackers.

sonnytapman

Master of Mawile
Pardon my double post; unless I'm ignorant of how the new breeding mechanics work, Defog is illegal with Play Rough.

Once more, apologizing for double post, but Play Rough and Defog is legal. I actually have a friend with one.

backwardinduction

Oh well that's weird, it seems like they should be incompatible. I was so excited to post about a defog set before anyone else did (in which I succeeded) that I didn't think the other moves through. I'll just edit my post and change it to taunt, which is its best utility move that's not from breeding or involves suicide. Thanks for pointing it out!

Last edited:

sonnytapman

Master of Mawile
No, the two aren't compatible, because Defog isn't a Egg move. Sorry, my bad.

Swoobat

Another great Pokémon for NU that gets an analysis too soon. Skuntank makes a good supporter for a team, thanks to Sucker Punch + Taunt + Pursuit... In a low tier. Seriously, Skuntank isn't viable in OU, its stats are really bad.

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
(Apologies for the long post, I'm trying to use the same format as the offical PotW)

OVERVIEW
Skuntank is one of those Pokemon you look at and wonder "What were they thinking when they designed it?" I mean, we've had honey bees, ice cream cones and rubbish bags, but 4th Gen's native skunk is certainly a contender of strangest design. Nonetheless, it made itself a staple in Team Galactic, and proved why it should be considered as a good RU/NU nuisance. However, 4th and 5th Gens weren't kind on it, providing it little to do as it was outclassed by many other Poison types like Toxicroak. In fact, its only real niche was Defog and immunity to Psychics in 5th Gen. 6th Gen changed that, and can seriously be considered for RU and maybe even UU. I actually think it can be a very good Mega Mawile counter if played in the right hands.

Positives
- Decent movepool. It can learn just enough to make a splash and has decent coverage
- Good HP. Base 103 HP gives it 52HP subs.
- Aftermath. The only ability I would consider using on a Skuntank, and if played correctly can turn a seemingly bad situation around by knocking a clean 25% off your opponent... if hit with a Contact Move. Situational.
- Toxic, Roar, Taunt and Defog are good moves. No doubt about it.
- Base 93 Attack means that your attacks will hit harder than a leaf in a gust, but only barely.
- Typing - One of the more unique (yet good) combinations of Poison/Dark. Psychic immunity, 1x weakness to what it counters and only 2x to Ground. Beautiful.

Negatives
- Extremely substandard defences. Base 67 and 61 is not worth considering.
- No good recovery moves. No Recover leaves Skuntank with the classic ChestoRest
- Base 84 Speed. It's not as bad as it looks - it outspeeds the two things it counters best - but everything else is gonna be zooming past you. Too slow to utilise Defog as well.
- Base 71 Special Attack is unusable, despite access to Flamethrower, which would be able to keep it in against Ferrothorn and Klefki.

ABILITIES
Aftermath: Takes off 25% of the opponent's health if KO'd with a contact move. My favourite, and in my opinion, only really usable ability.
Stench: 25% chance of flinching the opponent if they're hit with a contact move. It's okay, but base 84 speed isn't going to help your cause here.
(HA) Keen Eye: Prevents accuracy drops. Useless.

MOVESETS

Note: All these sets will be using Aftermath with the Adamant nature, except the last one

The Tank w/Life Orb
~Crunch
~Poison Jab
~Play Rough
~Taunt/Roar/Explosion
100/252/x/x/x/158

Comments: For me, this set should be what you run if you have something else to sponge hits on the team. It's UU at best, but it's good at what it can do. Crunch and Poison Jab for the STAB bonus plus Fairy/Steel coverage, and Play Rough gives you coverage for anything else that might come in on you, granted it's not a Fire type. You could potentially go for Taunt or Roar, but Skuntank isn't fast enough to use it effectively, where Explosion means that you can dent anything that you know will kill you next turn with a special move or Earthquake. Life Orb is very useful here for bringing you down to Aftermath-territory, which can act as a deterrent, particularly if they know that they'll die if they use something with Sucker Punch. This is an excellent anti-Mega Mawile fodder, as you will only get 3HKO'd with Sucker Punch. Skuntank, who will ALWAYS be faster than a Mega Mawile outside Trick Room, gets OHKO'd by Play Rough and Iron Head, and this works beautifully in your favour, as you will be doing almost 25% damage with Crunch, effectively bringing Mawile down to 50% when you get knocked out, especially since you lose HP from Life Orb recoil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to leave you with this Memento w/ Black Sludge
~Crunch
~Toxic
~Roar
~Memento
252/252/x/x/x/6

Comments: Can be very interesting if used correctly. Crunch will be your only damaging move, because it hits everything in the game. Toxic lets you get anything that isn't Steel or Poison, and Roar gives you another opportunity to get whoever comes in. Memento, however, is your Mega Mawile counter. Crunch will only be doing between 16% and 19% to a Mega Mawile running 252/252/x/x/x/6, but we don't care about that. You will always be faster, which is the key advantage, as it means that you can Memento MM before he can kill you (sadly at the loss of Aftermath), but it means he loses his Huge Power boost, which can turn the tide of a battle as it can force the switch to something else or allow you to KO it before he can hurt you more than he should. Azumarill takes 51% maximum from a -2 Play Rough, and deals a phenomenal 79% with Banded Waterfall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to fill up the (Skun)Tank w/Chesto Berry
~Crunch
~Rest
~Substitute
~Poison Jab
Impish 252/100/100/x/58/x

Comments: This set is not easy to play. It's no longer the MMawile counter, but a decent UU SubChestoResto user that can take and deal damage to anything not wary. The key to the set is setting up the Substitute if the opponent switches on you, which gives you a clean opportunity to see if you can deal damage. Your ability to make 52 HP subs is useful, and although you won't be killing Azumarill, you'll be dealing almost 67% damage with Poison Jab, as well as outspeeding it. All of Azumarill's moves break your sub, but even if you only manage 1 Poison Jab, and Azumarill KOs you, you've knocked it down to a risky 7% health and no one wants to take the risk with that. This set works nicely against most Fairy types, except for the standard Klefki spread.

(That's all I can think of. Have fun!)

Last edited:

Kraleck

Considering Smeargle is a possible parent, I can't believe they didn't include Defog as an Egg Move. A pity since Play Rough helps with coverage on offensive sets. Play Rough and double STAB Moves gives you neutral coverage over any Mono-Type except Steel with advantages over Fairy, Grass, Psychic, Ghost, Fighting, Dragon, and Dark.

Because of Steel's advantage over Fairy, it's becoming a more popular Type, too. This means Skuntank will need to carry either Dig, risking double damage from Earthquake, or a Special-based Fire-Type Move, which uses that less-than-spectacular Base 71 Sp.Atk, in order to fight them. Basically, Steel is something you should just switch out on if given the choice and chance.

eworm

Play Rough and double STAB Moves gives you neutral coverage over any Mono-Type except Steel with advantages over Fairy, Grass, Psychic, Ghost, Fighting, Dragon, and Dark.

Someone seems to forget Steel lost some resistances this gen. :) Dark/Poison/Fairy is a perfect neutral coverage over all mono types, because Dark moves hit Steel for neutral damage.

In other news, whenever I try to write something more in this thread, it keeps telling me I can't post, apparently because of "forbidden words" or something. I have no idea why though, I'm not swearing, I can't even find any words that could be mistaken for offensive…

backwardinduction

Yeah, the only steels that still resist dark are bisharp, mawile, klefki, lucario, and cobalion. And fairy hits all of those but the steel/fairy types for neutral.

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Considering Smeargle is a possible parent, I can't believe they didn't include Defog as an Egg Move. A pity since Play Rough helps with coverage on offensive sets. Play Rough and double STAB Moves gives you neutral coverage over any Mono-Type except Steel with advantages over Fairy, Grass, Psychic, Ghost, Fighting, Dragon, and Dark.

Because of Steel's advantage over Fairy, it's becoming a more popular Type, too. This means Skuntank will need to carry either Dig, risking double damage from Earthquake, or a Special-based Fire-Type Move, which uses that less-than-spectacular Base 71 Sp.Atk, in order to fight them. Basically, Steel is something you should just switch out on if given the choice and chance.

Skuntank will never carry Dig, ever. It's far too risky, and underpowered too.

Status
Not open for further replies.