• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next one, and the RNG spat out another Kalos Pokémon

695.png

Heliolisk is a decent Pokémon with decent special stats and movepool, and has a great reliance on the sun

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/695.shtml

Go nuts

TurtwigAndSquirtle

I like turtles
Thunder
Parabolic Charge
Thunder Wave
Rain Dance
Ability: Dry Skin
Item: Damp Rock

Rain Dance with Damp Rock so it heals and Thunder is perfect accuracy. Thunder Wave to paralyze the opponent.

Abizzel1

Thunder
Parabolic Charge
Thunder Wave
Rain Dance
Item: Damp Rock

Rain Dance with Damp Rock so it heals and Thunder is perfect accuracy. Thunder Wave to paralyze the opponent.

You're walled to death by a Ground type with that set.

Take out Thunder Wave since THunder already has a 30% of paralysis, replace it with Surf to hit ground types hard with Rain giving it a fake STAB. PArabolic Charge is nice, but it's damage is too low for singles so replace it with Substitue to give Heliolisk some protection from attacks and status. The Rain will heal the Sub damage back up, and best of all if they try to status you instead of attacking you're basically going to ruin something.

Venusaur still walls this set (Especially B. Sludge), and M. Venusaur is a nightmare to this set with all it's bulk.

So Volt Switch, U-Turn, Hidden Power Ice (can't hurt M Venusaur), Focus Blast (can't hurt Venusaur) are your best options for the last move solt, and count on something else for Rain support like Damp Rock Politoed (which isn't nearly as threatening without Choice Specs / Scarf).

This is why people say weather is nerfed. Water has taken the worse hit IMO, and for the better of the metagame. Fire is more viable with 2 starters, Sand Storm is pretty much the same with some better heavy hitters dropping down from Ubers, Hail is still bad (it needs to raise Ice type DEF by 1.5x, power boost abilities, and speed boosting abilities). Water useage has been balanced out IMO making you have a weak Poiltoed who can make it rain for 8 turns, or waste a good choice item on it and make it rain for 5 turns.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Heliolisk

Item: Damp Rock/Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 110 Def/ 146 SAtk/ 252 Spd

- Rain Dance/Charge Beam
- Thunder
- Surf
- Focus Blast/Dark Pulse

If Rain is provided by others (held item changes depending on it), than using Charge Beam could be useful as it boosts its SAtk. Thunder under Rain gets full accuracy. Surf also gets a boost and helps take down Ground types. Last slot could be given to the one us want to counter. Focus Blast helps take down Steel or Ice type (who can't be taken down by Water or Electric moves like Abomasnow) and Dark Pulse to take down pokemons like Exeggutor.

With the lack of Synthesis, Solar Beam and Fire type moves, i feel that a Sun based move-set might be useless on it.

Hidden Power can be used on it but since its BP is low, i don't know if it would be useful on it.

Last edited:

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
I used a Heliolisk in my X run through and liked it a lot. Granted there are better Pokemon out there, but it does have some potential. This is what mine used,

Nature:Timid or Modest
Item:It's up to you

Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Surf
Hidden Power

I got a Sand Veil one, but if you intend to use it in a rain team then switch out Thunderbolt with Thunder and get a dry skin one. FOr this set I think Solar Power would work well. Surf deals with any rock/ground/fire types, but will be hindered in the sun. Focus blast for steel/ dark, and I think Hidden power fire would do well here for grass types.It's what I used in my game and it worked well, so it isn't a hopeless cause.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Heliolisk, the signature pokemon of Clemont. I’m not a fan, but it does have some potential.

Typing: Heliolisk combines two types that are known for having one weakness, giving Heliolisk a whopping 2 weaknesses, 3 resistances and 1 immunity. Immunity to Ghost is really helpful in this ghost filled metagame. Being weak to Fighting and Ground hurts a lot, with many a common Earthquake and fighting moves turning the lizard into road kill.
Offensively, Normal, Electric is pretty good. Normal is known for its fantastic neutral coverage and greatly appreciates the super effective coverage brought by Electric. The two type have no shared resistances, but Ground has been combined with every type that resists Normal, so pokemon that wall the combo do exist. Now if only Heliolisk has a good special Normal STAB… Yeah, Heliolisk should watch out for ground types.

Stats: Heliolisk has another stat distribution akin to Delphox, with emphasis on Specials and SPD and the cost of Physicals and HP. Base 109 SATK is potent, while Base 109 SPD is fantastic, allowing the desert runner to out run many unscarfed threats. 94 SDEF is above decent, so Heloilisk can at least take a special attack. Unfortunately the other half of its stats are Garbodor; while base 65 HP is not Mr. Mime poor, it still leaves a lot to be desired. BUT, combine that with base 55 DEF and the lizard will drop from Earthquakes faster than you can say “Meep Meep”. ATK is unmentionable.

Moves: As noted earlier, Heliolisk has no normal STAB to specialize on its SATK outside of Hyper Beam and Round. Outside of this, Heliolisk has a sparse Special movepool, which includes various electric STABS, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Dark Pulse and Surf. Heliolisk’s support movepool includes some interesting options. Including the standard Toxic, Sandstorm and Rain Dance to support this all weather pokemon, the desert runner runs away with Electric support moves such as Thunder Wave, Electrify, Eerie Impulse and Electric Terrain. On top of this, Glare is another option if you are tired of Ground Types ruining Heliolisk’s day.

Abilities: Wow three differing weather abilities on this unassuming pokemon. Move over Castform. Dry Skin is easily one of the better abilities, allowing Heliolisk to absorb Water attacks and be healed by the rain that gives it powered up surfs and accurate Thunders. Sand Veil, a normally shitty ability has some utility on Heliolisk, protecting it from the blistering sands it calls home. Finally, while Solar Power drains Heliolisk in the sun like its Dry Skin counterpart, but gives it an equivalent of a choice specs boost, allowing it to smash slower things with its attacks.

The Verdict: “ACME Corporation does not hold any apparatus to catch a Heliolisk. Instead you will find the surrounding desert to suffice.” Heliolisk is capable of a bit, but its paper thin defense foils it time and time again.

Last edited:

csraito

Heliosk, a Pokemon that can abuse all weathers except hail. Dry Skin lets him recover under the rain. He also has two moves that utilize the rain namely Thunder and Surf. He also has Solar Power that makes his above average SpAtk powerful enough to be able to OHKO alot of threats. It also has Grass Knot to utilize if ever a ground type comes in to wall him. And lastly, the most unfitting ability is Sand Veil. It doesn't quite do well with his base stats and move set. But extra evasion under the sand, actually helps. He would be an awesome mon in the past gens tho, where weather was dominant. Now I couldn't say the same.

Raintile
252spa/252spd/4 Hp Life Orb
Dry Skin
-Surf
-Thunder/Discharge
-Substitute/Protect
-Focus Blast/Dark Pulse

Surf for pseudo STAB, Thunder for STAB. Substitute and Thunder is better for singles while Protect and Dischargeis better for Doubles. Focus Blast or Dark Pulse because his movepool is pathetic.

Why don't you have Solarbeam??
252spa/252spd/4hp Life Orb
Solar Power
-Grass Knot(this should have been SolarBeam)
-Thunderbolt/Discharge
-Hidden Power Fire
-Dark Pulse/Focus Blast

Under the sun his underwhelming SpA becomes monstrous. Same reasons as above but Grass Knot is used than Surf because it is weaker under the sun. This set is all out attacking because Solar Power drains HP per turn.

eworm

Excuse my offtop, but there's a major error on the Weezing's POTW page. In "Other options" we read:

Belch is an insanely powerful move with top accuracy but costs you a hold berry. However, as Weezing doesn't have Recycle, you can only use this move once, and it removes it being able to have a hold item so only use it if you're sure.

And yet eating a Berry is just to "unlock" Belch - afterwards, the move can be used many times, even if Weezing obtains another Berry, heck, even if it's switched out and back in! This needs to be corrected ASAP.

Kraleck

Heliolisk. I'll be honest, I'm kinda torn. It's a Pokémon with not one, but three Abilities that rely on Weather Effects, allowing it to be very adaptive. However, it has a lot of Physical Moves and low Attack, so I'm sketchy on its utility.

Stats:
-HP - Below Average - Base 62 is not the best start for a Normal Type, much less an Electric Type (Raichu and a few others have Base 60).
-Attack - Bad - Base 55 just isn't going to be usable with its higher Sp.Atk.
-Defense - Bad - Considering your Weaknesses, Bad is an understatement. Earthquake, Cross Chop, Arm Thrust, and plenty more hit Heliolisk hard where it hurts...
-Sp.Atk - Great - Best numbers I've seen so far. Base 109 is pretty sweet, but your STAB Moves are easily walled by Ground/Rock, Ground/Steel, and (worst case scenario) Ground/Ghost.
-Sp.Def - Good - At least Focus Blast and Earth Power won't hit as hard, but you're still fragile.
-Speed - Great (Non-Trick Room) - Base 109, we meet again. This will outrun most things, but not all of them. Being tied with Durant, you only have 59 Pokémon faster than you (not counting Arceus's multiple Types).

Abilities:
-Dry Skin - HP restored in Rain. Pretty nice synergy with STAB Thunder and Surf, but beware of Sun - it reduces your HP. Dry Skin also makes you weaker to Fire.
-Sand Veil - Boosted Evasion in a Sandstorm and immunity to Sandstorm Damage. Considering you won't be using Thunder with this, it's nice to be immune to that Weather chipping.
-Solar Power (Hidden, Available [Friend Safari]) - Like Dry Skin, your HP is reduced each turn. However, you get a nice +50% boost to Sp.Atk in exchange. Don't use Thunder here, either. Too bad it can't learn Solarbeam...

Overall, you've got a good Special Attacker with a dried up Movepool. The Moves you'd consider are quite predictable, but you'll still be a wrecking ball.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
This guy is quite fascinating. If it was released in Gen 5, it would have been a monster. With weather being heavily nerfed this generation, Heliolisk isn't as great as it could be.
That being said, Heliolisk is a very interesting specimen that can dent unprepared teams. It has very good coverage with moves like Surf, Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, and Grass Knot. It has two abilities that make for a unique gameplay: Dry Skin and Solar Power.
Heliolisk is not without problems. While a base 109 speed is wonderful, base 109 special attack might not be enough anymore, especially since special attackers got hurt this generation with moves being powered down and the introduction of Assault Vest. The nerf to weather summon abilities also hurts, limiting Heliolisk's capabilities. To top it off, Heliolisk has a weakness to Fighting and Ground, the latter being more problematic.
All in all, Heliolisk can be helpful in a pinch, but it is far from a dominant force.

Rain
EVs: 252 special attack and speed, 4 HP
@: Leftovers/Life Orb

Thunder
Surf
Grass Knot
Focus Blast/Rain Dance

Surf is something many electric types would kill to have and Heliolisk has it on very good terms.

My House needs Energy
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 special attack and speed 4 HP
@: Life Orb/Leftovers/Air Balloon

Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Fire
Grass Knot/Sunny Day

I want an explanation as to how a Pokemon that gets energy from the sun cannot learn Solarbeam. In any case, here's another variation of Heliolisk.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I'm Sweepin' In The Rain
Heliolisk@Life Orb
Timid nature
Dry Skin
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Thunder
~Surf
~Dark Pulse
~Focus Blast

Ooh, Heliolisk. The cool-looking evolution of the insanely adorable Helioptile. Fast, powerful, easy access to a Water move, this guy's got it all. Well, OK, some decent Normal STAB would be welcome, but honestly, can't complain too much. Anyway, this guy goes well on a rain team- just send him in and watch him win! STAB Thunder gains absolutely perfect accuracy in the rain, good luck surviving that. Immune to Thunder? Try Heliolisk's Surf on for size! Gets powered up in the rain, making it a beautiful choice. The remaining two moves are just for coverage, Dark Pulse also serving as a nice little insurance policy against the occasional rogue Shedinja. I know, I may sound paranoid whenever I suggest a set that includes Shedinja insurance, but if you don't prepare for one and find out your opponent's packing one, you could find yourself in a world of trouble.

Item is for boosting Heliolisk's already nice Special Attack. Ability helps recover Life Orb damage and gives Heliolisk a nice little immunity to Water moves.

Fun In The Sun
Heliolisk@Leftovers
Timid nature
Solar Power
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power (Fire)
~Dark Pulse
~Grass Knot

This one's meant for sun teams, though why they didn't give something with such an obvious dependency on the sun's rays access to Solar Beam is beyond me. Still, Solar Power is a thing for it, so this could work. Thunderbolt for STAB, because you're not fool enough to stick with Thunder in harsh sunlight, I hope. Hidden Power (Fire) for something that gets powered up in sunlight, at least until TrollFreak gets their act together and gives this weather-loving reptile Weather Ball. Dark Pulse and Grass Knot for coverage.

Item is for healing off Solar Power damage. Ability for the Special Attack boost

Other options:
*Charge Beam is viable for picking off weakened opponents while likely grabbing a Special Attack boost in the process, though you may lose out on coverage if it's not your main STAB move (which it really, really shouldn't be).
*Heliolisk can also be used for paralysis support if you're so inclined, but if you go that route, I'd opt for Glare over Thunder Wave- the former affects Ground-types, see.
*Volt Switch is another viable option, particularly if you go for a Choice Specs set.

Abilities:
*Sand Veil: As long as there is a sandstorm raging, Heliolisk's evasiveness is increased by one stage, this increase going away when the sandstorm subsides, and it is immune to sandstorm damage, even if it's not Ground, Steel, or Rock-type. It could have its uses, though it's not Heliolisk's best Ability. Still, there's a lot to be said for sandstorm immunity.
*Dry Skin: In the rain, Heliolisk restores 1/8th of its HP every turn. In the sun, Heliolisk loses 1/8th of its HP every turn. Heliolisk takes 25% more damage from Fire moves, and when hit by a Water move, takes no damage and instead heals 1/4th of its maximum HP. Probably Heliolisk's best Ability if you're not building one with any sort of weather in mind- Water immunity is nothing to sneeze at, even if it does come with a weakness to Fire.
*Solar Power: Heliolisk's Hidden Ability. In the sun, Heliolisk loses 1/8th of its HP every turn, but in return gains a x1.5 boost to its Special Attack. Want one of these for your sun team? This is the Ability you want for it.

Partners:
Hmm... A physically defensive Pokémon wouldn't be a bad idea, given Heliolisk's lackluster Defense. Also Smashpassing.

Counters:
Priority moves, particularly Mach Punch. Heliolisk's Defense is poor, so physical attacks are your friend against it.

Opinion:
Just awesome. :D

Prediction for next week:
Arbok

papayaperson

Mathematician
This thing... is actually pretty terrible. It looks good on paper (kind of) but I've tested weather-based sets in Doubles (and a bit in Singles) and this thing needs major support to work well at all. In the rain it doesn't hit hard enough and in the Sun the recoil really hurts it tied in with his pitiful bulk. Speaking of pitiful bulk, this things 62/52/94 defenses mean it falls to pretty much every form of priority: Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Bullet Punch, the works. It also isn't very fast, so anything that outspeeds it can destroy it. However, in singles I did find one set that worked fairly well:

Heliolisk @Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
Dry Skin
~Volt Switch
~Thunderbolt
~Surf
~U-Turn/Dark Pulse
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe

This set functions as a pivot, very simply, a pivot. It has awful bulk, but he has two useful immunities: Ghost and Water, which, with good prediction, let him come and go as he pleases. The goal is to cleverly outpredict your opponent: As soon as you expect a Ghost or Water move, switch to Heliolisk, and then Volt Switch/U-turn out to something immune/resistant to the next attack you predict. This is very easy, actually, as there are many Pokemon in OU with options that make them very predictable, such as Scizor or Espeon. Now, the only reason to use this over Rotom-W, which does his job much better, is because it can function late-game as a cleaner, being able to outspeed a lot with a Scarf and still hit pretty hard. The flaw is obvious though: You need to have extremely good prediction, and you can overuse this guy or they'll start to out-predict you, so Rotom-W is overall a better option for this, but on certain teams this works extremely well.

KillerDraco

As a general rule of thumb, if you can counter Solar Power Heliolisk, you can counter any other variation of it, given Solar Power's raw power makes it the hardest to switch into.

Counters

Mega Venusaur - Mega Venusaur is an insurmountable obstacle for Heliolisk even in sun.

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur in Sun: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

On a tank Mega Venusaur, a timid Solar Power Heliolisk can only 3HKO in sun with HP Fire, while Mega Venusaur can stall all day with Synthesis while Life Orb recoil and Solar Power damage eats it up. Specially defensive Mega Venusaur is even harder for Heliolisk to break, to the point where it's just a lost cause. Meanwhile, Mega Venusaur has no problem 2HKOing with Sludge Bomb, or 1HKOing after all the recoil damage has added up. Heliolisk's one saving grace is that it can sometimes nail regular Venusaur with a powerful HP Fire when it switches in, but if it's already Mega evolved? Don't even bother.

Conkeldurr - The latest trendy wearer of Assault Vest has no problem obliterating Heliolisk. Even Thunderbolt fails to 1HKO in Sun, meaning Conkeldurr can always switch in.

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 239-282 (57.7 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meanwhile, Conkeldurr can bypass Heliolisks's speed and obliterate it with Mach Punch, especially after Solar Power/Life Orb recoil.

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heliolisk: 254-302 (95.4 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Goodra - Much like Conkeldurr, Goodra tends to be a common offensive Pivot with Assault Vest, making it almost impossible for Heliolisk to break. Even in Sun, Heliolisk can only 4HKO Goodra with HP Ice (if it carries it, which is not always common) or Focus Blast (and good luck trying to hit 4 Focus Blasts), while Goodra is a clean 2HKO on Heliolisk.

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Sun: 107-127 (27.8 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Sun: 105-125 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Heliolisk really can't touch Goodra at all.

Keep in mind that if Heliolisk is not using Solar Power, then its counters go up. Things like regular Venusaur and Celebi become able to handle Heliolisk outside of its precious sun. The above are just hard counters.

Checks

Garchomp - Classic ScarfChomp returns to make Heliolisk's life a living hell. It circumvents Heliolisk's great speed, and obliterates the lizard with its STAB Earthquake. However, it does have to be wary of the rare HP Ice, which can 1HKO it even outside of sun. That said, most Heliolisk don't carry HP Ice, so Garchomp can counter those that aren't carrying the move, but overall checks Heliolisk with no difficulty.

Talonflame - Checking an Electric type with a flying type? No, I haven't gone insane. Adamant Talonflame outspeeds Timid Heliolisk and 1HKOs it with Flare Blitz, making it a decent way to revenge kill. Of course, if you're not running 252 Speed EVs (which a lot of people don't due to being overkill in several cases), then Heliolisk outspeeds, making it an unreliable check.

Latios - Latios outspeeds Heliolisk and can take a huge bite out of the lizard with Psyshock or Draco Meteor. Thunderbolt only 3HKOs, and common coverage moves don't do much more to Latios. However, it has to be wary of Dark Pulse, which has a 50% chance to 1HKO in sun.

Bisharp - You definitely don't want to switch Bisharp into Heliolisk, as Thunderbolt will be 1HKOing in Sun. That said, Bisharp can revenge kill Heliolisk with Sucker Punch, making it a clean 1HKO.

Mega Mawile - Much like Bisharp, this thing can't switch into Heliolisk, but it can tear it apart with Sucker Punch, making it a decent check.

Breloom - Same boat as Bisharp and Mega Mawile; it hates having to switch into Heliolisk, but it can revenge kill it in a heartbeat with Technician Mach Punch.

Gengar - Gengar is so frail that it hates switching into Heliolisk, but its better speed tier lets it revenge kill it with Focus Blast.

Salamence - Another Scarf user who preys on Heliolisk by revenge killing it. With its low defense Salamence has no trouble 1HKOing Heliolisk, but it also has to be wary because it can't really take a Thunderbolt very well in the sun.

Mega Lucario - This suspect tested behemoth outspeeds Heliolisk and absolutely obliterates it with Close Combat or Aura Sphere. Of course, it can't switch into Heliolisk, and it needs to already be Mega Evolved, so it's an unreliable check.

Thundurus - It can't switch into sun-boosted Thunderbolts, but it does outspeed and 1HKO with Focus Blast, so it can revenge kill Heliolisk if the need arises.

Another thing to keep in mind about Heliolisk is that even though Solar Power Heliolisk wields a lot of power, it is not built to last. The combination of Life Orb recoil and Solar Power recoil with slowly kill it, which, in conjunction with its poor bulk, make it pretty easy to revenge kill. Dry Skin or Sand Veil Heliolisks have a little bit better survivability, but lack the power of Solar Power Heliolisk, so the counters and checks are much safer against it. Overall it's a nice novelty Pokemon, but has quite a few flaws that prevent it from being standard. Its 4MSS is also a problem, as it can't carry enough to counter every relevant threat, as it finds itself needing Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, HP Fire, and HP Ice, all of which it won't be able to carry. Knowing its set makes it a lot easier to counter, but there are some things that shut it down regardless of what it's carrying.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Heliolisk is an oddball, really.
Heliolisk@Magnet/Big Root
Sand Veil
Modest
-Parabolic Charge/Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Dark Pulse
-Grass Knot/Volt Switch

First of all, the ability is Sand Veil, purely because it is its best ability, which doesn't say much. Dry Skin and Solar Power make you weaker against Fire and sun, which shortens its already short longevity. Then comes its movepool. Parabolic Charge is viable for healing, especially in Doubles, while Volt Switch enables scouting. Thunderbolt is sheerly for pure power. Everything else is for coverage. As for countering it, try a priority move, as it is actually fairly fast, and has some half-decent coverage, and enough Special Attack to hurt, but probably can't OHKO anything that doesn't have a quad weakness to Electric. Fighting types also can take a hit from it, and OHKO it in return, probably with Brick Break, or a non-STAB Bulldoze, as its defenses are fairly abysmal.

KillerDraco

Parabolic Charge is viable for healing, especially in Doubles

I would say it's only viable in Doubles, and even then, not by much. Its power is just pitiful, so it relies on hitting multiple targets to get any kind of respectable amount of health drained back. Plus, given Heliolisk's equally horrid defenses, it's better off trying to nuke things into oblivion than trying to use the healing to keep itself alive. It's just too frail to properly utilize the healing, given it's not difficult to 1HKO.

Also Sand Veil is probably the worst of its three abilities, imo. It may not have a drawback, but Heliolisk doesn't like being pelted by Sand, and many things that can wreck it thrive in sand. Dry Skin may have the Fire/Sun drawback, but an immunity to Water and healing in rain is a nice boon. Solar Power may have HP loss every turn, but it provides an absurd amount of power. Though in all fairness, Heliolisk wishes it existed last Generation, as it would've been right at home in the permanent weather wars given it can take advantage of so many different types of weather.

papayaperson

Mathematician
Also Sand Veil is probably the worst of its three abilities, imo. It may not have a drawback, but Heliolisk doesn't like being pelted by Sand, and many things that can wreck it thrive in sand. Dry Skin may have the Fire/Sun drawback, but an immunity to Water and healing in rain is a nice boon. Solar Power may have HP loss every turn, but it provides an absurd amount of power. Though in all fairness, Heliolisk wishes it existed last Generation, as it would've been right at home in the permanent weather wars given it can take advantage of so many different types of weather.

Actually Sand Veil makes the Pokemon immune to the residual damage of Sandstorm, so that's not an issue.

I do agree though, this thing would have destroyed last gen, oh how it wishes it had permanent weather -_-

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Alright, first POTW, here we go... Not gonna make sets, just going to give Heliolisk and its abilities a basic overview.

Overview:

Heliolisk is one of those Pokemon that had better hit hard and move fast or else it will get killed off almost instantly, better on paper than in play. Although it's speed and special attack do let it do this under normal circumstances, it can still be defeated by anything bulky with the ever-so-common Earthquake.

That being said, its defenses are below average but it could manage to take a hit were you to invest such defenses into it. Its HP will usually stop such bulk from existing though, at a low base of 62.

Abilities:

Dry Skin: A very viable choice for a rain dance team as it allows you to heal in rainy weather, which will help this very frail Pokemon last longer. Not at all a bad choice.

Sand Veil: Not bad or anything, well not bad if your not Heliolisk. There's almost no reason to have this over the other abilities.

Solar Power: A hidden ability is usually pretty good, and this is no exception. This, although you get a health drop every turn, will raise your special attack which will help Heliolisk cause massive damage.

Countering Heliolisk:

This is pretty easy to do, sad enough to say. If you have a special defensive wall or anything that causes super-effective STAB damage against Heliolisk, it's pretty much dead. Here's a few Pokemon that can do just that:

MegaVenusaur:
(Believe me I'm not just stealing this from KillerDraco) MegaVenusaur can't even be touched by Heliolisk, not even taken down to half health by any of its attacks at all (that's without training in Sp. Defense). But, it can hit back very hard with an Earthquake or even a STAB move of your choice and end in either a 2HKO or 1HKO. You can safely switch in and not only switch in, but kill it easily. There's only one move that Heliolisk could OHKO it with and it is VERY uncommon.

Some calculations:

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Heliolisk: 163-193 (61.2 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Solar Power damage

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur in Sun: 360-425 (98.9 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Virizion:

Virizon is much like MegaVenusaur in that it can very easily take a max boosted Heliolisk while hitting it back VERY hard. One Close Combat and Heliolisk is gone. And if given a choice scarf, you don't even need to worry about taking a hit at all.

Some calculations:

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion in Sun: 101-121 (31.1 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion in Sun: 181-213 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Solar Power Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion in Sun: 182-216 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heliolisk: 512-606 (192.4 - 227.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Let's face it, almost any special focused grass type can take Heliolisk on with relative ease.

I'm done... Whew that took awhile.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Heliolisk is a decent Pokémon with decent special stats and movepool, and has a great reliance on the sun

has a great reliance on the sun

has a great reliance on the sun

Well then,

Sunny Choice set@Choice Scarf/Specs
Timid/Modest Nature (though any nature with either +speed or +sp,att and not affect the other stat will do)
Ability: Solar Power
-Thunderbolt/Discharge
-Grass Knot
-Dark Pulse/HP Fire
-Volt Switch/U-turn

Thunderbolt is its main stab, while discharge gives the team par support. If you're feeling really lucky, Thunder is the most powerful, yet inaccurate option.

Next two moves are for too lazy to calculate coverages.

The 4th slot is for you to switch out. Volt Switch also deals damage, while U-turn works on ground types.

Last edited:

EJR

How about this:

ability: dry skin

item: damp rock

moveset:

thunderbolt

rain dance

surf

grass knot

venom1950

Ace Trainer
Well this is my shot with this Kalos pokemon. I'm not a real fan of it. He's only weakness are Fight pokemon because he has no moves against them (if you don't count Hidden Power Flying.

The Rain Lizard

-Thunder
-Parabolic charge
-Dig/Hidden Power (Flying)
-Grass Know/Surf

Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid/Quiet
Abillity: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Sp Att, 126 HP, 126 Speed

This Heliolisk is for Rain team. Dig to try to not get hit every turn against Fight pokemon and Surf/Know against Ground pokemon.

Solar mode ON

-Thunder Bolt
-Surf/Grass Know
-Thunder Wave
-Double Team/Hidden Power (Flying)

Abillity: Solar Power
Item: Leftovers

This is Heliolisk for Sunny Day team.

The Sandlizard

-Thunder Bolt
-Surf/Grass Know
-Thunder Wave
-Swagger/Hidden Power (Flying)

Abillity: Sand Veil
Item: Choice Specs

This Heliolisk is for Sandstorm team.

This pokemon because of his abillities can be used in many strategies and because of that it has a lot of potential. It also has good stats. 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.