• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgrocks100

The Loomer
Honestly, Swellow and Staraptor are two of many reasons I wish talonflame didn't get gale wings. I mean, Swellow would absolutely LOVE gale wings.
Its an honest shame.

Anyway,

Swellow learns to beatbox by having fun with a bat (I guess?)
Life Orb/Specs
Modest, 252 SpA/Spd
-Boomburst
-Air Slash
-Heat Wave
-U-turn/Hidden Power Grass
This is freaking HILARIOUS against one who wouldn't suspect it. When i first heard Taillow got Boomburst, I literally
pinched myself. I mean, yah, it sucks. Its no Gale Wings, or V-Create. but its is funny in its own right. Oh, other attacks?
Air Slash, i guess, Heat wave for sure (without it steels are your enemy) and U turn or Hidden Power. Honestly, not much else to explain.

KillerDraco

I'll do the Pre-Evo corner, as I play a lot of LC, but, I can't type too much right now, but I do recommend running Choice Specs Boomburst > Guts Facade, it is as powerful as Guts Facade, without the nasty side effect of Poison/Burn, honestly, it is better.

No, it isn't.

252 SpA Choice Specs Taillow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Abomasnow: 145-172 (37.7 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Guts Taillow Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 192-226 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Couple that with the fact that Taillow/Swellow have low special attack and a horrible special movepool (with the only notable move being Heat Wave from B2W2 tutors), and you'll find that Choice Specs on this bird is horribly outclassed by any and all physical sets.

Edit: Okay fine, I'll concede it has its niches, but the original statement that Specs Boomburst is more powerful than Guts Facade is still a false one.

Last edited:
Nah, Specs Taillow with Boomburst is pretty legit. Being able to spam a 140 BP STAB move with nothing immune to it thanks to Scrappy is fantastic. It's true that a Guts Facade will hit harder, but the biggest benefit of Specs Boomburst is that you're not on a timer and can actually take a priority attack once in a while if need be. As long as it doesn't have to worry about the extra passive damage, Taillow can come in and out as many times as it needs to and toss off Boombursts with no repercussions, especially if Stealth Rock is off the field. You can also hit at full strength from turn 1, unlike the Guts set, and you'd be surprised the sort of hits it can dish out, such as this:

252 SpA Choice Specs Taillow Boomburst vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 13-16 (56.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swellow might be another story because of the differences between the LC metagame and the metagames at level 100, but you can still put up some impressive numbers with it. Based on last generation's NU:

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 145-172 (44.7 - 53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Musharna: 198-234 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bastiodon: 164-196 (50.6 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Probopass: 156-184 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- 87.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Golurk: 228-268 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Even some of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier are 2HKO'd by Specs Boomburst with Stealth Rock factored in. In fact, Swellow's Choice Specs Boomburst is hitting with about 94.5% of the power of Choice Specs Jynx's Ice Beam (with the new base power), so it's actually deceptively powerful. I could see it being a decent mid-game attacker and potentially a late-game sweeper at times given Swellow's amazing base speed. This set surely won't completely eclipse the Guts set given the latter's extra power in general, but the additional survivability and even the surprise factor might make it a decent set nonetheless.

Crazybearrage99

Hey guys I am new to this forum stuff but I have and idea taillow a level 1 sweep is and idea or something... cause im new im sure this would be in the baby corner

Taillow
Item: focus sash
Evs:252Speed
Nature:jolly
Moves:
Quick attack
Endure
Endeavor
?/agility

Level 1 Sweep IDK if endure goes first but if it doesn't then this wont work

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Hey guys I am new to this forum stuff but I have and idea taillow a level 1 sweep is and idea or something... cause im new im sure this would be in the baby corner

Taillow
Item: focus sash
Evs:252Speed
Nature:jolly
Moves:
Quick attack
Endure
Endeavor
?/agility

Level 1 Sweep IDK if endure goes first but if it doesn't then this wont work

I believe this is referred to as a FEAR set. Aron does this better, but Scrappy Taillow has its niche. Toxic could be an alternative to Agility, but Taillow will need that speed to hit some pokemon with Endeavor.

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Guts w/ Flame Orb/Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP/Defense
Facade
Aerial Ace/Pluck/Brave Bird
U-turn
Steel Wing

Countering
High Defense with Rock/Electric/Ice-Type moves like Aggron, Metagross, Omastar, Magnezone, Glaceon, Fan Rotom, or Stone Edge Bisharp/Durant/Barbaracle/Tyranitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.