• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraleck

My biggest beef with Mega-Gyarados is that you only have good STAB options with Water, but Dark gets either the weak-sauce Bite or Special-based Dark Pulse. I'm really surprised Gyarados never got Crunch over the Generations. Then again, you have Dragon Dance and options for Type coverage like Earthquake/Bulldoze, Ice Fang/Avalanche, Outrage, Stone Edge, Bounce, Iron Head/Iron Tail, and Façade/Headbutt/Return.

avsimone

Magma Trainer
Personally, I think that on any mega-gyarados earthquake is necessary. It is pretty much the only thing that stops rotom-W from stopping you. (well besides a +1 or +2 stonemiss). Also, something like bounce shouldn't really be used simply because your opponent will switch into something that can either take the hit, OR will damage mega-gyara

Dragon dance is virtually a must on gyarados simply because it doesn't have the recover moves to get a tank set (why doesn't it get roost :'( oh well) unless you want to make it a sleep talker. but then there is the inconsistency issue, and the taking up of 2 move slots.

I honestly dont see any reason to use Megados. Sure he gets Mold Breaker Earthquake, but Excadrill already has that, along with STAB and more team support in Rapid Spin. Megados also loses his resistance to fighting and bug, and instead is now weak to them. Megados, in all honesty, is a failed Mega.

Onto a set:

Offensive Dragon Dance

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk 4 Def 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall/ Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Bounce/ Stone Edge

This set has one rule: Set up and sweep. After a Dragon Dance, Gyarados outspeeds all non boosted/ non scarfed Pokes barring Deoxys-S with a Jolly nature. Once set up, Gyarados can unleash his rage against anything that faces him, shooting off STAB Waterfalls/ Aqua Tails. Earthquake provides coverage, and the final move is your choice. If you want a secondary STAB, go with Bounce. If the two turns required bother you, go with Stone Edge. Also, Moxie allows him to build up a snowball effect. After a few KOs, only the bulkiest of walls can hope to stomach his hits.

A quick note on the EVs: The 4 remainder should never be placed in HP. Having an odd HP number allows Gyarados to switch into Stealth Rock a fifth time. THis pretty much applies to all Pokemon weak to stealth Rock.

sonnytapman

Master of Mawile
Yes, this set is a bit weird, but it might turn out to something.
Gyardos/Mega Gyardos
@Power Herb/Garadosite
-Aqua Tail
-Outrage
-Iron Head/Dragon Dance*/Ice Fang
-Bounce*/Payback
The * means don't use this in the Mega-Evolution set. As stated before, this set is very gimmicky. From the outset, Aqua Tail is Gyrados' best STAB for water. Outrage is very powerful. Iron Head and Ice Fang are there for coverage, and Dragon Dance is a signature move on Gyardos sets, but don't use it on the Mega Evo set I'm giving. The last part is a bit odd. If your going for normal Gyardos set, the ability should be Moxie. Bounce and a Power Herb are the only way your going to get use out of Gyardos' Flying STAB. IF your running Mega Gyardos, the go for Payback, and don't use Dragon Dance. Payback, if used properly, could go from a lame 75 power to an outrageous (*ba dum tish*)150 attack power (please check). HOwever, that means neglecting speed IVs and EVs. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So yeah, I might as well have given just a Mega-Gyardos set, because Bounce is useless after the first time using it. It's a bit odd, but it works. I use the Mega Evo set myself.

Last edited:

Mr Spaz

Loading title. Please wait.
I love how people are mentioning that this guy's Water and Flying STABs provide good coverage. Now, before anyone else says this, ask yourself: Aside from Hidden Power Flying and Bounce, what Flying Type attacks can Gyarados learn?

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
I love how people are mentioning that this guy's Water and Flying STABs provide good coverage. Now, before anyone else says this, ask yourself: Aside from Hidden Power Flying and Bounce, what Flying Type attacks can Gyarados learn?

Yeah... I try to type my typing reviews as pokemon neutral so I can recycle the type when it comes up again. Gyarados' is so limited in its secondary STAB that its funny. Frankly, in my opinion, bounce is arguably the best of the 2-turn moves, because aside from Ferrothorn (which is admittedly a common switch) the paralysis chance on Bounce screws even switch ins that resist it.

sonnytapman

Master of Mawile
Yeah... I try to type my typing reviews as pokemon neutral so I can recycle the type when it comes up again. Gyarados' is so limited in its secondary STAB that its funny. Frankly, in my opinion, bounce is arguably the best of the 2-turn moves, because aside from Ferrothorn (which is admittedly a common switch) the paralysis chance on Bounce screws even switch ins that resist it.
IT's a shame really, because if Mega Gyardos was a Water Dragon, it could totally make use of moves like Outrage and Dragon Tail. Instead, he gets the potentially awesome Payback, A bit more reliable Bite, and a special based dark pulse.

venom1950

Ace Trainer
IT's a shame really, because if Mega Gyardos was a Water Dragon, it could totally make use of moves like Outrage and Dragon Tail. Instead, he gets the potentially awesome Payback, A bit more reliable Bite, and a special based dark pulse.

also his only weakness would be fairy type attacks

Caluminousdugtrio

class on my back
Honestly the key way to play Mega Gyarados is knowing WHEN to mega evolve. For example, standard Gyarados has access to Intimidate, which you may need if your opponent has a powerful Physical attacker. Also, you may not want to Mega Evolve if you're facing Bug types/Fighting types right off the bat. For example, Gyarados VS Conk. You won't want to smashing Conk when mega evolved because of the newly regained fighting weakness. Same thing with Scizor, Genesect, etc.

However, Mega Evolving would allow switching easier because of a nullified Stealth Rock Weakness and giving Gyarados an immunity to Psychic types and not taking quite so much from electric attacks.

the attack tho

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Gyarados getting a Dark-type Mega Evolution is useful, but would really benefit from Crunch, especially with THAT Attack stat. So yeah, Gyarados is still limited to Water-type STAB, or Bounce and Bite. Although, that attack stat can cover for a lack of STAB moves. As for moves, Earthquake and Aqua Tail are absolute must-haves on any set, for STAB and Electric killing, although Gyarados is quite often outsped by Electric types. Bounce and Bite are the other viable STAB moves for non-mega and mega respectively. As for other moves, Payback actually works well due to the sub-par Speed, and Dragon Tail can remove a stubborn Physical wall. Stone Edge can hit hard as well. All in all, though, Gyarados still suffers from a poor movepool, and the typings don't really help much. Even as Mega Gyarados, most Thunderbolts will 1-2HKO the creature.

Mega Gyarados takes Electric-type attacks surprisingly well. For instance:

252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 254-302 (76.7 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's Choice Scarf Thundurus-T, essentially the most powerful Electric-type Scarf user in the game, and it fails to net a OHKO without prior damage (in fact, it's only a 25% chance even after Stealth Rock). Mega Gyarados also takes weaker attacks such as defensive Rotom-W's Volt Switch with incredible ease, which lets it set up all over those guys. 95/109/130 bulk with Intimidate on the first switch-in is just jaw dropping.

Mega Gyarados takes Electric-type attacks surprisingly well. For instance:

252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 254-302 (76.7 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's Choice Scarf Thundurus-T, essentially the most powerful Electric-type Scarf user in the game, and it fails to net a OHKO without prior damage (in fact, it's only a 25% chance even after Stealth Rock). Mega Gyarados also takes weaker attacks such as defensive Rotom-W's Volt Switch with incredible ease, which lets it set up all over those guys. 95/109/130 bulk with Intimidate on the first switch-in is just jaw dropping.

Its actually a 100% Chance with Stealth Rock. Megados cant switch into Stealth Rock without mega evolving first...

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Mega Gyarados
Intimidate w/ Gyaradosite/Assault Vest
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Sp Defense, 6 HP
Waterfall/Aqua Tail
Payback/Bite
Earthquake
Ice Fang/Outrage/Iron Head/Avalanche

Countering
High Defense & Attack w/ Electric/Rock/Grass/Fighting/Bug/Fairy-type moves like Wild Charge Tauros/Bouffalant/Klinklang, Thunder Fang Durant/Tyrantrum, or Thunder Punch Dragonite.

Its actually a 100% Chance with Stealth Rock. Megados cant switch into Stealth Rock without mega evolving first...

True, that was just to show off its bulk. Still, it's not completely unreasonable for Gyarados to switch into some status move/Ground move/etc. without Stealth Rock down, Mega evolve while it forces the opponent out, and switch in with Stealth Rock down later.

Status
Not open for further replies.