• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week we have a doozey

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the anime in less than two weeks, we have a triple whammy in one week

First, we have Pikachu

25.png
25-o.png

We also have the Kantonian Raichu

26.png

And, of course, the new Alolan Raichu

alolanraichu.png

Go nuts

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/025.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/026.shtml

HigoshiMaru2564

Pokemon Ruffian
I've done this before with Gen 6 with Kanto's version of the little guy, so I feel like this time I'll address the Alolan variant. Not what I would've expected a variant of him to be, but is insanely fun to use if a little tricky at times.

Pros
- Access to a new Stab in the Psychic Type, giving it more coverage (with Psychic and Psyshock.)
- Has slightly higher Special Attack than the Kanto Version. It's just a bit but still.
- It's new ability, Surge Surfer, turns it into an absolute speed demon, especially with how common terrains are.
- Access to Calm Mind is pretty cool.
- Retains almost all of regular Raichu's coverage and move set, including event moves if you transfer them over.
It's Z-Move is incredible cool and strong, despite dropping frames like crazy at points.
- Side note - It's design is a nice contrast. Kanto's Raichu was sharp and slick, while this one is round and incredibly squishy.

Cons
- The Psychic type doesn't help him defensively. This thing now falls to the ground from Ghost, Dark and Bug.
Once again, event moves are just that. Events. So if you want a Surf Alola Raichu.... you may need to wait for a while.

One last thing before I go - not sure who likes it, but there's a certain gimmick set you could use. Surge Surfer doubles Speed in Electric Terrain. If the Raichu sets it up as a Z-Move, you have essentially *TRIPLED* speed at Base *330.* Combine this with Electro Ball... it's gonna get fun!

13_luckynumber

Just to be sure: pikachu with the hat learns no special move right? Why do I remember reading somewhere they have unique egg moves or sth?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Pikachu isn't that great. It got a few new Z moves that arguably look really cool, but sacrificing a Light Ball to use them is a huge sacrifice. Yeah, Pikachu is very fragile, not that fast, and even with a Light Ball it isn't going to sweep all that much.

Raichu on the other hand, oh boy. Alolan Raichu is amazingly cool. It's very fragile on the physical side, but it has good Sp.Atk and Speed, as well as a good ability in Surge Surfer.

Alolan Raichu @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Surge Surfer
-Electric Terrain
-Electro Ball
-Psychic / Psyshock
-Grass Knot

Z-Electric Terrain boosts your speed one stage upon use. Combined with Surge Surfer, Raichu essentially reaches +4 Speed in a single turn of setup, and boosts its Electric STAB as well. Raichu reaches 1050 Speed after a single turn of setup, which means that all foes that have a speed stat of 262 or lower take Electro Ball as a base 150 power STAB move, and everything in between 263 and 349 speed takes it as a base 120 power STAB move, still more powerful than Thunder. Add in the power from Electric Terrain, and you've got a lot of power to throw around.

Just to be sure: pikachu with the hat learns no special move right? Why do I remember reading somewhere they have unique egg moves or sth?

It gets the 100,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt Z-move, but not anything else of note. Its standard moves are just the ones Ash's Pikachu in the anime knows.

Last edited:

Luthor

Don't forget about Pichu in LC.

Volt Tackle
Return
Thunder Punch/Reversal
Iron Tail/Toxic

Choice Band

Ability
Lightning Rod

BlackKyurem3DS

Oh boy, lot's of electric mice.

Pikachu:
Abilities:
Static: Physical contact moves will have a 30% chance to paralyze the opponent. Not a good ability to have. Pikachu's already frail, and any physical attack will most likely 1 shot it.
Hidden Ability:
LightningRod: Grants immunity to electric moves and draws all electric moves to it in doubles. Boosts special attack when an electric move hits it. Pretty decent, and helps with keeping team members safe in doubles.

Raichu (Normal):
Ability:
Static: Same deal with pikachu, though not as frail.
Hidden Ability:
LightningRod: Again, same deal. Good ability.

Raichu (Alolan):
Ability:
Surge Surfer: Doubles speed in electric terrain. Really neat ability, and helps to outspeed potential threats.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Chaining 'Chu's

Both Pikachu and both of its evolutions have enjoyed a large degree of popularity, the former becoming the mascot of the franchise (too bad Clefairy) and due to the love that fans and gamefreak have given the electric mouse pokémon over the years, Pikachu and Raichu boast some of the most expansive movepools of any electric type, making them particularly difficult opponents to counter.

Thanks to the Light Ball, Pikachu is one of the game's premier glass cannons. With the Light Ball, Pikachu reaches offensive levels rivaling the strongest of legendaries... But with the bulk and speed of a NFE pokémon. Don't get me wrong, 90 speed is still fairly fast, especially in Alola, but the game is littered with threats that will outspeed Pikachu, and with 35/40/50 defenses, Pikachu is frailer then Mega Beedrill and thus will fall to any strong hit. Priority wrecks Pikachu, KOing it before it can even make a strike. Natively faster threats like Charizard, Archoeps, Jynx, Mismagius, Pyroar, Tauros, etc. can all come in on a free switch and wreck Pikachu with a STAB attack. Pikachu is heavily reliant on Light Ball to do any appreciable damage, so item shenanigans (namely Knock Off, Trick and Switcheroo) will turn Pikachu into dead weight for the rest of the match. Infiltrator and Sound based move users will be appreciated as Pikachu will often try to increase its longevity with Substitute). Pikachu hits hard, but is a manageable threat provided you keep the pressure on it.

Normal Raichu has probably suffered the most over the years, not getting Light Ball (if Light Ball worked with Raichu, that would be SO broken), leaving itself to be content with Pikachu's scraps. And by scraps, I mean a huge movepool. It is near impossible to counter every Raichu set, because thanks to its fantastic movepool and balanced (if unimpressive) offenses, Raichu can more or less perform any kind of offensive/supporting roll (even though its not as frail as Pikachu, Raichu should only be considered as a tank for the shock value -which is a horrible idea). When dealing with Raichu, it is best to figure out what set it is running and counter appropriately. Special sets are comfortably walled by sponges provided Raichu doesn't have the appropriate coverage move (i.e. Specially defensive Grumpig, Gothitelle, Hypno if Raichu lacks Signal Beam, Muk, who normal Raichu has nothing, Probopass, Bastiodon, Regice, Rotom-Frost, if Raichu lacks Focus Blast). Taunt also works with Special variants, who are found of carrying Nasty Plot. Physical Raichu's are easier to deal with, as it has no way to boost it's attack and its physical movepool is not impressive as its specials. Ground types like Marowak are the bane of Physical Raichu's, as their high base Def and Immunity to electric, make them nigh insurmountable for Raichu. Support Raichu's hate Taunt with a Passion, as they deprive it of most its moveset, though many Raichu carry nuzzle to get around that and do some damage. Another method of dealing with Raichu is to outspeed it and KO it, though with its blisteringly high base 110 speed, that is a difficult task. Floatzel natively outspeeds and can OHKO with a Banded Waterfall, but needs a free switch to pull that off. Same with Purugly (Life Orb Return suffices). Zebstrika is the only other pokémon in the tier that natively faster than Raichu, but can only maim it with Overheat.

Last edited:

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
It should also be worth noting that PIkachu should only ever run Light Ball. Pikanium Z may grant immunity to item loss and Catastropika, but then you have a 210 base power move coming off base 55 attack. In other words, don't use it.

Pichu is also next to useless in LC. Being the most physically frail pokemon in the series does not do it wonders, and base 60 speed just doesn't do it justice. Pikachu with a hat's stats are unknown to me, but from what I hear it's slower than hatless Pikachu, which is the absolute last thing a glass cannon needs.

MegaMeganium

Dropping Bloom Dooms
AC/DC
Alolan Raichu @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Surge Surfer
-Nasty Plot
-Focus Blast
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt

This set is designed to nab you a quick kill, leading off with the Nasty Plot and the Focus Sash keeps you alive. Thunderbolt is your main form of STAB, with Psychic providing great STAB coverage. Focus Blast might miss, but it packs a huge punch on things that normally resist it.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Not Gonna Raichu A Reference To That Stupid Song
Alolan Raichu@Focus Sash/Aloraichium Z
Timid nature
Surge Surfer
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
~Thunderbolt
~Psychic
~Grass Knot
~Nasty Plot

Standard set for the new Alolan Raichu. Nasty Plot for the Sp. Atk increase. Thunderbolt and Psychic for STAB. Grass Knot for coverage. Simple as that.

Item is up to you, whether you think Raichu needs help surviving the setup turn or the one-time nuke that is Stoked Sparksurfer. Ability is the only option.

Chu And Me
Raichu@Focus Sash
Timid nature
Lightning Rod
~Thunderbolt
~Focus Blast
~Grass Knot
~Nasty Plot

We can't forget the original! Raichu's normal form might be somewhat inferior to its Alolan counterpart in many respects, but it's still a respectable Pokémon in its own right that you should not underestimate. Works pretty much the same as the set for Alolan Raichu, except instead of two STAB moves, it's got two coverage moves in Focus Blast and Grass Knot.

Item was already covered. Ability gives Raichu the freedom to switch in on Electric attacks without taking any damage whatsoever, as well as a handy extra Sp. Atk boost.

Other options:
*Encore and Fake Out are things.
*Alolan Raichu has Electric Terrain to work with if you don't feel like pairing it with Tapu Koko to get Surge Surfer rolling.
*If you can get a Surfing Pikachu into the current generation somehow, and it's got the right nature and stuff, then by all means, go for it. In fact, it works for a rain team, and you can also teach Thunder to both kinds of Raichu, so yeah.
*Raichu's Normal form has superior Attack to its Alolan counterpart, and with moves like Brick Break, Knock Off, and even Volt Tackle to choose from, it can get stuff done.

Abilities:
*Static: When Raichu is hit by a contact move, there's a 30% chance the attacker gets paralyzed. Not a bad Ability in and of itself, it's just not as good on something that isn't meant to take hits.
*Lightning Rod: Raichu's Hidden Ability. Raichu is immune to Electric attacks, draws Electric attacks away from its partner in double battles, would draw them away from both partners in triple battles were they still a thing (why, no, I'm totally not bitter about that- now, losing rotation battles, on the other hand, that's a whole other swarm of Yanma right there), and upon taking an Electric attack, receives a +1 boost to Sp. Atk. This is what you want on your Raichu. It can already switch into Electric attacks OK, but this lets it switch in on them without taking any damage whatsoever, and results in a Sp. Atk boost on top of it. Hard to go wrong there.
*Surge Surfer: The one and only Ability of Alolan Raichu. Alolan Raichu's Speed is doubled when Electric Terrain is in effect. You don't really have any other options with Alolan Raichu, but this could be worse. It's no Lightning Rod, but pair this thing with Tapu Koko and ain't nothing outspeeding you anymore.

Partners:
I'll start off by stating the obvious- Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu. I don't even care if it means using two Electric-types on your team. You got four more slots to compensate for the Ground weakness. Electric Surge not only activates Surge Surfer but also makes the Electric moves even stronger, and makes Stoked Sparksurfer even more of a nuke than it already is. Regular Raichu will want something like Gyarados or Mantine- something to draw in the Electric moves and give it an opportunity to switch in.

Counters:
Dugtrio can come in on any Electric attacks, trap them, outspeed, and OHKO with Earthquake. Unless Surge Surfer is doing its thing, of course- then Dugtrio is screwed. And of course, this should go without saying, but Alolan Dugtrio won't work for this, as it lacks Arena Trap and would need to win the Speed tie to OHKO without getting hit first. Special walls in general are also bad news for most Raichu variants, though physical variants can give Chansey and Blissey a run for their money.

Opinion:
Raichu is awesome. I find it a legitimate shame just how overshadowed Raichu is in comparison to its pre-evolution. Alolan Raichu has become somewhat prominent, true enough, but I'd still like for the normal form of Raichu to get some love, y'know?

Pre-Evolution Corner:

Mascot Madness
Pikachu@Light Ball
Timid nature
Lightning Rod
~Thunderbolt
~Grass Knot
~Signal Beam
~Nasty Plot

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Presenting this very series's overhyped, underwhelming mascot itself, iiiiit's Pikachu. Yaaaaaay. Yeeeaaah, this thing has no place on the battlefield. If you're adamant about using Pikachu, this set's your best bet. Thunderbolt for STAB. Grass Knot and Signal Beam for coverage. Nasty Plot in the rare event you get to use it. Spoiler; you won't get to use it.

Item powers up PIkachu. Ability is the best it gets.

Other options:
*Ahaha.
*Ahahahahaha!
*WAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!!! XD
*...OK, I suppose you can run a physical set on it. Volt Tackle, Knock Off, Brick Break, Quick Attack, something like that.
*You may be tempted to try Pikanium Z or Pikashunium Z. You don't want to do that. Pikachu needs the Light Ball in order to get things done. NEEDS. IT. A 210 base power nuke isn't quite as nuke-y coming off of base 55 Attack. Same with a 195 base power nuke coming off of base 50 Sp. Atk- as a matter of fact, that's even worse. And that's the event-exclusive one!

Abilities:
*Static: When Pikachu takes a contact move, the attacker has a 30% chance to be paralyzed. Pass on this. Anything that requires Pikachu to take a hit is really, really not worth it. Pikachu has all the defensive capabilities of a wet paper bag.
*Lightning Rod: Pikachu's Hidden Ability. Pikachu draws in all Electric attacks, is immune to them, and upon activation of the Ability, gets +1 Sp. Atk. If any Ability could be said to be good on Pikachu, it would be this.

Partners:
Alolan Ninetales and Eevee spring readily to mind, the former for Aurora Veil support, and the latter for Extreme Evoboost passing. And I'm talking using both of them, not one or the other- both. Pikachu needs all the help it can get.

Counters:
Just play normally. If your team as it stands right now does not counter Pikachu in at least several ways, you have a problem.

Opinion:
Ehh, Pikachu's OK. I don't hate it by any means, I just don't like how they overhype it and leave Raichu in the dust.

Prediction for next week:
Minior.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
If you want to use Pikachu, there's one good reason i can give. Besides Zigzagoon and Dragonair its the only pokemon in PU that can use extreme speed. Although it can only get it from a local event in Japan its legal in showdown, it can be a very dangerous cleaner in ORAS PU (and probably SM PU when they make tiers that go that far down). Its nice to be able to finish off a monferno without it mach punching you or screw with sucker punching Cacturnes. Plus even if its jolly it can take out fully offensive articuno with one wild charge.

E-Killer Mascot
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Wild Charge
- Iron Tail/Brick Break/Knock Off
- Iron Tail/Brick Break/Knock Off

You might want to go with adamant if you want to OHKO Cyrogonals more reliably, unfortunately because its an event pikachu this one can't get egg moves, no volt tackling and there will be no encore. Wild Charge is the best way to deal damage and extreme speed is Pikachu's unique selling point. Iron tail and brick break help you hit rock types that might want to take an extremespeed, but knock off is more splashable and weakens thick club marowak and eviolites.

252 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Flareon: 258-304 (95.2 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 342-404 (106.5 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Ask

cringelord
Just noting that Pikachu now learns Volt Tackle as a move tutor move as well, so you can run it with event-only moves.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Just noting that Pikachu now learns Volt Tackle as a move tutor move as well, so you can run it with event-only moves.

Nice, that's gonna make IV breeding a lot easier. Still can't get encore with espeed though, which would mess with sucker punch so badly.
Also, one thing I'm always surpirsed isn't more popular is teeter dance raichu.

Also, something else fun about obscure Pikachus, with focus punch it'll OHKO offensive Alolan-Golems. Could lead to some fun predictions.
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Focus Punch vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Golem-Alola: 332-392 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

HeatEdgeSword

This one is for Doubles Battle and VGC. More specifically, Alolan Raichu.

Item: Focus Sash/ Psychium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Nature: Timid
4 Defense, 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed

- Protect/Encore
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Protect is pretty crucial in the doubles format. Encore forces the target to use the same move 3 times in a row, but it's much riskier. While Raichu's Fake Out won't do too much damage, it does provide some momentum to its ally and itself. The last two attacks gain STAB, allowing Raichu to hit pretty hard.

Tape Koko is its best teammate as Tapu Koko can instantly activate electric terrain. Not only does that activate its ability, but also increase the power of their electric-type attacks.

For its other options, there's Feint mainly to break protection moves, Electro Ball can be used if you're very confident about electric terrain, Hidden Power Ice is less powerful, but it provides better coverage and Raichu can hold Aloraichium Z instead of Psychium Z as it has a nasty side effect of causing paralysis to the target, though it should be note that just one Z-move is enough to knock them out.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
There isn't a whole lot I can contribute here that hasn't already been said, but depending on your format of choice an easy way to get a battle ready Pikachu/Raichu with Lightningrod is to transfer it in from the VC games.

The hidden ability is guaranteed and it gets at least 3 perfect IVs. Pikachu can take advantage of this with the light ball to boost a perfect IV speed and either Physical or Special attack.

These are the Pikachu I use on my "Ash team" - sadly no hat yet, but I can nickname it anything I want so I name it Spongebob :) If you're looking to do something similar maybe pair it with a bulky Lapras?

ampfire101

For VGC, Raichu-A has been seen commonly using a Z Crystal, either Alolaraichum or Psychium Z. The first launches heavy Electric type damage and paralyzes the target, the other is used commonly alongside Tapu Lele for a big-damage Shattered Psyche, but Sash is also viable. Typically runs either Modest or Timid, Modest more seen alongside Koko with Surge Surfer, Timid for just about anything else. Usable moves include Protect, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Thunder (for rain teams), Discharge, Fake Out, Grass Knot, Substitute, Electro Ball (under Electric Terrain, but not consistent damage), Focus Blast, Nuzzle (for more support based Raichus), Feint, Encore, Light Screen, Growl, Reflect, Hidden Power, Volt Switch, and Safeguard, but the most common moveset you'll see is Thunderbolt, Psychic, Protect, and Fake Out. Most commonly seen with max SpA and Speed. Good ways to beat it are Marowak-A, Pheromosa (first get rid of Electric Terrain), Trick Room, Tapu Bulu, AV Kartana, Garchomp (granted Raichu lacks HP Ice), and tanking attacks.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think Latias is also a good counter, if available. Latias resists pretty much everything Raichu usually carries except for Hidden Power, has the bulk to take HP Ice, and can set up with Calm Mind.

Alita54

I'm gonna focus on Kanto Raichu since the Alola form has been taken care of.

Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Lightningrod
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp Atk and Speed, 4 HP
Moves: Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, Focus blast, nasty plot

the format here is single battles and set should go without saying. First move for stab, other two for coverage and last move to boost special attack on first turn take a hit through the sash then try to sweep.

You can also use the above set in a double battle teamed up with a pokemon that has the drizzle ability like pelipper, kyogre, or politoad. In that case tho thunderbolt would be replaced with thunder and nasty plot with protect. Lightningrod also is a huge benefit to all drizzle users espically pelipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.