• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milotic is all about stall. Hence, my movepool would probably be something like this:
Milotic@Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ability: Marvel Scale.
EVs: 252 HP, 126 Def, 126 SDef.
-Protect
-Recover
-Toxic
-Scald.
This Milotic set is all about walling the heck outta stuff, which Milotic does like a champ. It's typing is great defensively, having a mere two weaknesses. The moves almost speak for themselves: Toxic, Protect and Recover are self-explanatory, while Scald is to prevent Milotic from being taunt bait, and also provides an alternative status to inflict in case it does get taunted, and if you're lucky it can really mess up something like a Garchomp. Bold Nature is to maximize it's Physical defences- it already has enough special to not need a nature boost. EVs are split amongst HP, Defense and Special Defense. HP is to maximize Recover's healing, and I pray I don't need to explain the other two. Marvel Scale is Milotic's best ability considering outside of fast physical attackers like Garchomp, statusing Milotic is probably your best bet at not being walled by it, and Milotic can take advantage of that. Overall, Milotic will never be a top-tier threat unless it gets a Mega Evolution like Mawile's, but in lower tiers, Milotic is monstrously hard to take down- even the mighty Arcanine has trouble, although there are a couple of counters to Milotic.

Counters: Milotic's defense isn't THAT good, and as such my first check that comes to mind is Pikachu. Pikachu outspeeds Milotic, meaning Milotic CANNOT status it bar a lucky Quick Claw activation. If it tries, it WILL take a Volt Tackle to the face, and with a Light Ball, that OHKOes defensively invested Kyogres and Yveltals. Yeah, Milotic's not gonna enjoy that. Luxray and Electivire also come to mind, albeit somewhat less than Pikachu, seeing as they don't get access to Volt Tackle, which is amazing, and have to use the less-than-stellar Wild Charge instead.. Pikachu can also counter-status Milotic with Nuzzle, but that'd trigger Marvel Scale, and Pikachu DOES NOT want that.
Mega Venusaurhard counters Milotic. Leech Seed or Grassy Terrain, Milotic can't do a thing to MVenusaur, while it can just give Milotic a lot of grief. Other than that, however, there really isn't much that can actually check Milotic, outside of MAYBE Mega Absolwho can reflect Toxics back in Milotic's face with it's amazing ability of Magic Bounce.

Pikachu is never something to ever worry about. Never. Sure, he's faster, but his offenses are pretty bad, even with the Light Ball. Besides, any teammate with a base 100 speed (which is the OU benchmark right now) can take him out with any attack. Don't bother mentioning something if it isn't good. Same with Luxray. Luxray is in NU for a reason, because he's not that good. Milotic is UU, so you won't be seeing either of those against a serious player

Also, don't split the defense EVs equally. You either bias it to one side (Ferrothorn), or go full out in one (basically every other wall). Milotic needs the full investment in Defense, as its subpar for a wall. Her special defense is high enough as it is to not need investment.

What does the Dephox say?

Ring-ding-ding-di...
-Competitive - Pretty much Defiant Ability for Sp.Atk. Quite fun for a new toy, but one cannot argue its use over Marvel Scale too well. Good Ability, but too situational.

Switch in on Defog, get a free Nasty Plot? Double switch in against Landorus... take an intimidate, end up at +2. Eat a Shadow Ball that gets lucky... +2 SA... Competitive Milotic sounds like a fun offensive tank. Defensive Milotic has a lot of competition but Competitive Milotic is pretty cool.

Yeah, Competitive Milotic is actually a pretty cool Pokemon with a decent little niche, mainly as a Defog switch-in in a similar manner to Bisharp. It was brought up in Milotic's OU analysis thread, so I gave it a quick test and liked it. This is the set I used:

Milotic @ Life Orb
Trait: Competitive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Grass] / [Flying] / [Fire]
-Recover

Bulkier Modest spreads work too I suppose, but base 81 Spe is a pretty cool speed tier, so I just went all out to beat all forms of Dragonite, Mamoswine, Goodra, etc. and everything slower. If you can come in on a Defog or Sticky Web, you're going to punch some huge holes in stuff with +2 Hydro Pumps. You have a few options for Hidden Power types as well. HP Grass is for Water-types that resist both Hydro Pump and Ice Beam, namely stuff like Manaphy, Rotom-W, and Azumarill. HP Flying hits Mega Venusaur a lot harder, while HP Fire nails Ferrothorn. Gyarados still probably tanks everything on this set, but the last thing your opponent wants to do is switch Gyarados in and give Milotic a free Competitive boost thanks to Intimidate. With Recover and Milotic's excellent special bulk, it'll stay around for a while. It's actually surprisingly bulky on the special side, even without investment. For instance, defensive Rotom-W's Volt Switch fails to 2HKO, and you can even take an unboosted Thundurus's Thunderbolt in a pinch. While bulky sets receive a bit of competition here and there, offensive Milotic's ability to act as sort of a special Bisharp is unrivaled.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
I forget to make note of Scald in both of my previous posts: Scald is easily the best thing that Gen V gave Milotic: a STAB the semi-reliably shuts down physical attackers who often pose problems for the graceful serpent when Marvel Scale isn't active. The drop in power is more then made up by the durability increase.

On a second note, while I did mention that Milotic can employ Hypnosis to shut down many counters; this is by no means reliable. Hypnosis has poor accuracy (barely beating out Dynamic Punch and its ilk), so while Milotic is one of the better users of the move (being able to take a hit and recover it off the scenario of a miss), it still cannot be recommended in high regard due to the nerf sleep got this generation (seriously, GameFreak has changed Sleep Mechanics with every new generation). According to bulbapedia, Game Freak removed the sleep counter resetting on a switch while keeping the low 1-3 turns of sleep.

Finally, as excellent as a wall as Milotic may be, the generational power creep (especially this generation) has made Milotic more vulnerable to being overwhelmed.

Last edited:

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
miloTICS me off

choice specs/choice scarf
Trait: Competitive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power [Grass] / [Flying] / [Fire]
-dragon pulse

ehh, not much to say. just go.

this was posted mainly for the pun, Please use it :p

YagamiNoir4896

Oh, Milotic. This thing was a darn annoying wall in 3rd gen, but diminished as the gens increased. This gen helped it a bit, in my opinion. Assault Vest, Special Attack nerf, Competitive.....it can be good, but it's not good and competent enough.

Marvel at the Power

Milotic @ Assault Vest
Ability: Marvel Scale/Competitive
EVS: 248 HP/252 Special Attack/8 Speed or 248 HP/252 Special Defense/8 Speed
Nature: Modest/Calm

Hydro Pump/Scald
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Grass
Mirror Coat

Offensive Assault Vest Milotic is actually pretty good. Between flawless coverage and Mirror Coat that makes some special attackers like Roserade go nuts it's pretty good in general.

252 SpA Roserade Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 170-204 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 140-166 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

That's some nutty Special Defense there.

Marvel at the Support

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVS: 248 HP/252 Defense/8 Speed
Nature: Bold

Light Screen
Dragon Tail
Scald
Aqua Ring/Ice Beam/Recover/Toxic

This guy is extremely resilient, set up Light Screen and start phazing, recovering when necessary. You can pack Aqua Ring and Recover together to troll people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.