• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week we're back in Galar!

844.png
844-gi.png

It's Sandaconda!

Go nuts

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-swsh/sandaconda/

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Sandaconda tries to have itself standout as one of the premier Sandstorm setters in game, with its unique ability Sand Spit. Sand Spit renders all other weather abilities superfluous, as it activates whenever Sandaconda is hit with a damaging move (even if it faints), so even if your opponent gets their weather out first, it will be replaced by Sand in the act of attacking Sandaconda. This enables Sandaconda to setup Sandstorm multiple times without wasting a move or switching out, making it great counterplay against weather teams.

However to get to the rub, Sandaconda is the worst of the 3 fully evolved Sandstorm setters and really only works at its true best against opposing weather teams. For Sandaconda can't abuse Sandstorm as effectively as Tyranitar (who enjoys the SDEF boost Sandstorm provides) or Hippowodon (who is far bulkier than Sandaconda and can better exploit the Chip damage that Sandstorm causes). Secondly Sandspit is tied to your opponent's actions, so if your opponent is running a setup sweeper that doesn't mind STAB Earthquake, or Sandstorm, with Taunt they can turn Sandaconda into setup fodder.

Shed Skin tends to be the more popular, as it allows Sandaconda to shrug off Status Conditions like Burn, Toxic and can be used for some synergy with Rest.

Sandaccordian
Sandaconda
Ability: Shed Skin
Item: Leftovers
-Coil
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Body Press
Nature: Impish (+DEF, -SATK)
EVs: 252 HP/252 DEF/4 ATK

Cause Sandaconda looks like an accordian... No? Anyways Sandaconda has the move set to disgustingly abuse Coil, with it boosting both EdgeQuake and Body Press as well as patching up Stone Edge's accuracy issues. Since Sandaconda's physical bulk is great, it can fine several opportunities to setup while outspeeding truly tanky opponents and Shed Skin ensures that any attempts at tanking aren't stopped by an untimely Burn or Toxic. Earthquake is fantastic STAB, Body Press works great with Sandaconda's high DEF as well as providing some extra coverage against Normal and Dark types. Stone Edge hits the Flying types that no sell Earthquake and Body Press hard. EVs are to maximize bulk, boosting Body Press and giving more opportunities to Coil.

Other Options
Rest -Sandaconda's only reliable recovery outside of leftovers. Actually better than most Pokémon cause Sandaconda can wake up quickly thanks to Shed Skin.
Glare -Paralysis that opposing Ground types can't ignore? Great for consideration and Sandaconda has the base Speed to actually outspeed after a Paralysis.
Stealth Rock -Best Move in the game.

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
Since it's Easter, I am kinda surprised we aren't covering Diggersby since it's a bunny, or Snom because it is our fluffy savior (Praise be to the Church of Snom).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
However to get to the rub, Sandaconda is the worst of the 3 fully evolved Sandstorm setters and really only works at its true best against opposing weather teams. For Sandaconda can't abuse Sandstorm as effectively as Tyranitar (who enjoys the SDEF boost Sandstorm provides) or Hippowodon (who is far bulkier than Sandaconda and can better exploit the Chip damage that Sandstorm causes). Secondly Sandspit is tied to your opponent's actions, so if your opponent is running a setup sweeper that doesn't mind STAB Earthquake, or Sandstorm, with Taunt they can turn Sandaconda into setup fodder.

On the other hand, in double battling environments, especially under VCG rules, I have been seeing a rise in sunlight teams, which Sand Spit Sandaconda thrives in. I've used one myself in the official VGC events in the past precisely to counter sun, rain, and the occasional hail team when they come up. The key is the fact that you don't have to select Sandaconda to participate in every battle; you'd bring it in if 1) your opponent has a team dependent on the weather, or 2) your opponent happens to have a lot of Pokémon weak to Ground (which comes up more often than one might expect).

When used to counter other weather teams, it's key to bring Sandaconda in with a teammate who can help dispatch the opposing weather-setter. This will minimize the chances of their weather coming back again, though there are people every now and then who pack multiple Pokémon able to set the same weather, which isn't always obvious as I usually see them set it manually later on. Savvy opponents expect this, and they will switch out their weather-setter in hopes of bringing it back out after Sandaconda has been knocked out, so I prefer to select Sandaconda as my third or fourth Pokémon. I'll endure their weather effects at first, and once I've knocked out their Torkoal or Pelipper, I'll bring in Sandaconda later when they have no way of reverting the weather back short of a Dynamax or Gigantamax. Incidentally, saving Sandaconda for later allows me to react to my opponents' Dynamax or Gigantamax, notably if they choose to set weather during then.

Otherwise, G-Max Sandblast can trap their weather-setter for as long as I need to knock it out. Four turns is the minimum length of the effect, which is an eternity by double battle standards. It's also important to remember that G-Max Sandblast traps BOTH opposing Pokémon under the Sand Tomb effect, so on top of the Sandstorm damage, the trapping and damage together is pretty often the straw that breaks their Camerupt's back.

This is my scheme:
Nature: Adamant
Item: Passho Berry or Rindo Berry
Ability: Sand Spit
High Horsepower (the most reliable Ground-type move that won't hit teammates)
Protect (Sandaconda is often ganged up on; it may require practice to determine when this will happen)
Glare (support against very fast opposing Pokémon)
Dragon Rush (very few types resist this; can also one-hit KO Dragapult and speed-based Dracovish)
Effort Points: 252 Attack, 124 Speed, 134 HP
Gigantamax-capable

Sandaconda has no business stalling in a double battle (or at least, I've had no success at it), so it's optimal to have as high Attack as possible. An Effort Value of 124 Speed puts Sandaconda's Speed at just over half of Dragapult's at Level 50, allowing it to outrun a Paralyzed Dragapult or anything slower than Dragapult.

It may look like coverage is low on this move set, but that's because this Sandaconda relies on having that filled out by his partners in battle. Who exactly that partner is depends heavily on what my opponent is using, however, so I can't elaborate much further on it. However, Sandaconda most often benefits from a speedy attacker who can soften or even knock out opposing Pokémon who would normally threaten Sandaconda.

For some reason, people tend to freak out at Sandaconda's presence at the beginning of a battle and use Fake Out on it, triggering Sand Spit. When people open a rain team with Pelipper and Ludicolo, that...makes my job easier. Keep Sandaconda away from Eiscue, however, as each time Sandstorm begins with Sand Spit, that's another chance for Eiscue to restore its Ice Face by initiating Hail.

Those are my own thoughts anyway. I don't know how valuable they are, but I based them on the sort of opponents I found playing online in doubles Ranked and in VGC events in Pokémon Sword and Shield. I don't think I have the best move set even for the teams I've had Sandaconda on, and I have a hunch they will go through some changes in the near future. I am open to any questions anyone might have about this scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.