• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #026

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only true set for Conk this gen is the AV set.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
Ability: Guts
EVs: 52 HP 252 Atk 200 SpDef
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch

First off let me set something straight: times have changed. Copy and pasting Smogon sets from last gen just won't cut it for Conk, neither will simply posting a random set that has leftovers attached. Conk is good this gen for one reason and one reason only: Assault Vest. If you disagree with me then VM me about it.

With that out of the way, this is the standard AV Conk set. The EVs increase special defense while still maintaining physical bulk with the HP investment. If you don't like that, than max out special defense as the assault vest will increase it, which means that HP investment won't help on the special side very much. The nature that is run should always be adamant, unless this is for a Trick Room team, which you would run Brave and 0 speed IVs. The ability that should always be run is Guts, as it allows Conk to act as a status absorber for the team. The moves are also standard. Drain Punch is his strongest move, and it provides recovery, granted he hits something super effectively or neutrally. Mach Punch provides priority, allowing him to hit faster threats first to finish them off if they're weakened. Next, we have Knock Off, the only dark type move that should ever be used. With the buff that Knock Off received this gen, Conk is able to cripple switch ins such as Azumarill, who can normally take his attacks, making her lose her Sitrus Berry or Choice Band. Finally, we have Ice Punch, which is his best coverage option for the last slot. This hits dragons, as well as ground types, such as Lando and Gliscor for super effective damage.

screw your lame AV sets I have subpunch

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge

Saying that AV Conkeldurr is the only good Conkeldurr is a very one-dimensional way of thinking. SubPunch Conkeldurr is an insane wallbreaker, capable of producing 101 HP Substitutes that cannot be broken by a single Seismic Toss. The main issue with AV Conkeldurr that I find is that all of its moves tend to have relatively low base power; though they have utility the opponent will usually bring in something ubiquitous that counters conkeldurr, scare it out, and gain momentum. This set attempts to remedy that. By setting up a Substitute on a predicted switch, Conkeldurr can scout one of its potential counters and hit it with the appropriate move. If the switch-in is neutral to Fighting (such as Mawile), you can hit it with what I believe is the strongest Focus Punch in the game (Iron Fist+Base 140 Attack+STAB), and if you don't kill it you'll cripple it for something else. Knock Off and Ice Punch are standard moves on AV Conkeldurr as well, and they are just as good here, if not better due to Iron Fist. Stone Edge may be run over Ice Punch if you wish to get a harder hit on Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, two common switch-ins to Conkeldurr. This set can be hard to stop if it gets going, as attempts to status it once they know it's Iron Fist will be met by a Substitute.

Even more so than the AV set, this set requires support to handle Fairies, though with Stone Edge and Substitute it fares significantly better against bird spam. Methods of eliminating Fairies are thus much appreciated for this set. Stone Edge Heatran is a good partner as always, Flash Cannoning Fairies and Stone Edging Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir. If Stone Edge is being run on Conkeldurr, Mega Scizor synergizes well with it as it can kill fairies and appreciates MCY and Talonflame being removed so it can sweep.

Conkeldurr with Flame Orb
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 200 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 56 SpDef
Move set:
Drain Punch
Ice Punch/ Thunder Punch/ Stone Edge
Knock Off
Mach Punch/ Poison Jab

I say that this is an extremely good set since the flame orb will burn Conkeldurr and stop your opponent in a battle from toxic poisoning you or paralyzing you. You have Drain Punch to recover Hp from the burn Ice Punch/ Thunder Punch/ Stone Edge to deal with flying types, and Mach Punch for a priority, stab move to take out something quickly. Knock Off is good to take away a big chunk of Hp on psychic and ghost types and take away their items. Running Poison Jab instead of Mach Punch is good to deal with fairy types.

Electrolled

The only true set for Conk this gen is the AV set.

Adamant Nature
EVs: 52 HP 252 Atk 200 SpDef
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch

First off let me set something straight: times have changed. Copy and pasting Smogon sets from last gen just won't cut it for Conk, neither will simply posting a random set that has leftovers attached. Conk is good this gen for one reason and one reason only: Assault Vest. If you disagree with me then VM me about it.

With that out of the way, this is the standard AV Conk set. The EVs increase special defense while still maintaining physical bulk with the HP investment. If you don't like that, than max out special defense as the assault vest will increase it, which means that HP investment won't help on the special side very much. The nature that is run should always be adamant, unless this is for a Trick Room team, which you would run Brave and 0 speed IVs. The ability that should always be run is Guts, as it allows Conk to act as a status absorber for the team. The moves are also standard. Drain Punch is his strongest move, and it provides recovery, granted he hits something super effectively or neutrally. Mach Punch provides priority, allowing him to hit faster threats first to finish them off if they're weakened. Next, we have Knock Off, the only dark type move that should ever be used. With the buff that Knock Off received this gen, Conk is able to cripple switch ins such as Azumarill, who can normally take his attacks, making her lose her Sitrus Berry or Choice Band. Finally, we have Ice Punch, which is his best coverage option for the last slot. This hits dragons, as well as ground types, such as Lando and Gliscor for super effective damage.

200 EVs in SPD block what notable KOs/2KOs?

A choice Scarf set is viable though, everyone expects him not to outspeed but with max 310 speed you can outspeed things like Excadrill (why anyone would leave Excadrill in on Conkeldurr is beyond me but it can outspeed Rotom too)

Also, in lower tiers, Eviolite Gurdurr is quite the opponent for the same reasons as normal Conkeldurr and you probably shouldn't use him to spread status and the poor thing has 6 special moves: Round, Hyper beam, Hidden power, Grass knot, Focus blast, and Snore. So please, please don't use them.

KillerDraco

Too many to mention. SpDef>HP for AV

Well, yes and no.

It is true that Special Defense EVs will give you more special bulk per EV than HP EVs will. This is a fact.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 160-190 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 52 HP / 200 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 124-147 (34 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

However, in doing so, you trade off a roughly equivalent amount of physical bulk in exchange.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 169-199 (40.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 52 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 169-199 (46.4 - 54.6%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO

One might say "If you're using Assault Vest, the entire point is to tank special attacks", and to an extent, that's true. But part of what makes Conkeldurr so good is, unlike other specially bulky Pokemon like Goodra, Blissey, Florges, etc., it actually does take physical hits reasonably well, to the point where it can check certain physical attackers as well, and isn't forced out as easily as something like Blissey or Goodra.

As such, I'd say HP = SpDef in terms of EVs. They both have their merits, with Special Defense EVs giving you more special bulk, while HP EVs give you a little more physical bulk as well. It depends on if you want it to tank better from the special side of the spectrum, or be able to function a little better as a mixed pivot/wall.

Nulava

Banned
Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~Drain Punch
~Bulk Up
~Stone Edge / Poison Jab
~Payback

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~Drain Punch
~Mach Punch
~Ice Punch
~Knock Off

Kraleck

Allies come in unusual places:
-Cherrim, as previously stated, beefs up Conk's lower Sp.Def and already-high Attack.
-Aqua Ring-Passers like Vaporeon crank up the bulk factor.
-Bug or Dark Types and Poison or Steel Types help out against Psychic Types and Fairy Types, respectively. Drapion, Scizor, Scolipede, and Bisharp are a major issue for both.
-Snorlax makes for a decent Special Sponge on a prediction.
-Jolteon, Accelgor, and Aerodactyl make opponents think twice about Speed matchups.
-Goodra has Special Bulk to spare, but must be wary of Fairy.
-Natural Cure Pokémon like Blissey, Trevenant, and Altaria can put a dent in the plans of Status chuckers.
-Volcarona has Type-advantage over Psychic, Immunity to Burns, and good Special Stats and Speed.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Conkeldurr is an insanely tough opponent to take down. High bulk, an item the covers the brute's weak point, and reliable recovery make a pokemon difficult to take down, but complement that with status buffing and an ATK that is only surpassed by Mega Evolutions, Legendaries and Rampardos makes the chore even more daunting. Ghosts do deprive Conkeldurr of its recovery due to their typing, so combining that with status can wear Conkeldurr down. Of course, most Conkeldurrs carry Payback or Knock Off, so Ghosts are not that reliable. Despite resisting Stealth Rock, Conkeldurr is exposed to entry hazards, and can be worn down that way. Overwhelming offense may OHKO the brute but that's easier said than done. Psychic/Psyshock from Mega Gardevoir and Aerialate Return from Mega Pinser might be able to do the job, but they cannot come in safely w/o prediction. Conkeldurr w/o Guts hate getting Burned, but don't be reckless about it, or you could be unleashing the beast.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
talonflame will destroy this thing (choice band brave bird go)

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Not overly sure on that. If Conkeldurr can withstand one BB, then Talon is toast, and Talonflame gets destroyed on the switch in by Stone Edge. Especially after a Bulk Up or two, Brave Bird is a 2-3HKO at the best. That can lead to major issues. Special moves are the way to deal with Conk. It has next to no SpDef, and terrible Spd to boot. Not a good combo when it's weak to Psychic and Fairy, who almost always outspeed and OHKO with a STAB move. Hell, I think Carbink outspeeds it.

KillerDraco

Not overly sure on that. If Conkeldurr can withstand one BB, then Talon is toast, and Talonflame gets destroyed on the switch in by Stone Edge. Especially after a Bulk Up or two, Brave Bird is a 2-3HKO at the best. That can lead to major issues. Special moves are the way to deal with Conk. It has next to no SpDef, and terrible Spd to boot. Not a good combo when it's weak to Psychic and Fairy, who almost always outspeed and OHKO with a STAB move. Hell, I think Carbink outspeeds it.

Er, a lot of your statements are contradicted by usage statistics.

The majority of Conkeldurr carry Assault Vest these days; some still carry Leftovers, or even a status orb, but by and large Assault Vest is its most popular set. So it definitely does not always have "next to no special defense", since most Conkeldurr these days are very difficult to 1HKO with a special attack. Psychics are also unreliable checks, given most are obliterated on the switch by Knock Off, one of the most commonly used coverage attacks. Bulky Fairies make decent switch ins, given they resist its STAB and Knock Off, but they don't appreciate losing their item to Knock Off, either.

Things like Stone Edge and Bulk Up, while still seeing some usage, are relatively uncommon. This is what makes Talonflame a decent check/revenge killer for Conkeldurr. CB Talonflame's Brave Bird is a clean 1HKO on Conkeldurr, while no-item/leftovers Brave Bird still 2HKOs. It's not an outright counter though, but it's a check for sure.

Natural

What about

Payback/earth quake
Hammer arm
Rock slide
Poison jab

With a life orb
And attack and hp investment
With no investment in speed
The sheer force ability I guess
Adamant nature

This is basically to punch holes in the opponents team. It's not meant to last. Good on a trick room team

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Guts w/ Flame Orb
Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 252 HP, 3 Defense
Drain Punch
Stone Edge
Payback
Poison Jab

Countering
High Defense and Sp Attack with Flying/Psychic/Fairy-type moves like Togekiss, Slowbro, Gothitelle, or Psychic Gorebyss/Spiritomb/Cofagrigus.

Last edited:

Natural

Guts w/ Flame Orb/Focus Sash
Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 130 HP, 128 Defense
Hammer Arm/Brick Break
Stone Edge
Payback
Poison Jab

Countering
High Defense and Sp Attack with Flying/Psychic/Fairy-type moves like Togekiss, Slowbro, Gothitelle, or Psychic Gorebyss/Spiritomb/Cofagrigus.
I would recommend going drain punch on this one, sense it will be taking damage each turn. That's just me though, do whatever

Guts w/ Flame Orb/Focus Sash
Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 130 HP, 128 Defense
Hammer Arm/Brick Break
Stone Edge
Payback
Poison Jab

Countering

Why would you ever use a Sash on Conk? It literally brings nothing to the table for him. Hes bulky as is, and benefits from an AV much more. Heck, even a Flame Orb is a better option.

Also, running defense EVs is pointless. You might as well put them in HP. The difference is negligible regarding physical bulk.

Natural

Why would you ever use a Sash on Conk? It literally brings nothing to the table for him. Hes bulky as is, and benefits from an AV much more. Heck, even a Flame Orb is a better option.

Also, running defense EVs is pointless. You might as well put them in HP. The difference is negligible regarding physical bulk.
judging from the move choice, I'd say he's trying to one up my set by adding survivability to the equation. Which is all fine and well. Though it needs to be able to better grapple with other pokemon, which is why I think he picked defense. I agree that HP really is the better choice. Possibly with assault vest, then he may be able to get a super effective hit on his checks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.