1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #063

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Serebii, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Well-Known Member

Not about Samurott, but at least proofread your articles before posting them. Assault Vest sets with Protect? Mega Scizor sets with Assault Vest? Modest Scizor with only physical attacks? Just, no. I mean "These entries are created by the visitors for the visitors and then compiled by our writers ...", while nobody in the previous thread posted stuff like this. With seven writers (judging from the newspost) you should be able to catch stuff like this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Mestorn

Mestorn Wandering Battler

Yay! Samurott! My favorite of the Unovan starters, but unfortunately that is more of a curse than anything. Samurott's stats are balanced possessing decent Offense and bulk, but that's just it. They are decent. It's movepool has some interesting options for a Water type, getting moves like Grass Knot, Air Slash, Sacred Sword and Megahorn, but outside of those, its movepool is a bog standard water type's: Water moves, Normal moves, and Ice Beam. So many water types do Samurott's job so much better, it is sad.

The Seventh Samurott
    Samurott
    Ability: Torrent/Shell Armor
    Item: Choice Band/Expert Belt/Life Orb
    -Liquidation
    -Megahorn
    -Sacred Sword
    -Knock Off/Retaliate/Aqua Jet
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) or Jolly (+SPD, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SDEF or 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD

Physical Samurott. Liquidation for STAB + possible DEF drop. Megahorn deals with opposing Grass types. Sacred Sword offers great fighting type coverage. Knock Off offers Ghost type coverage (and ensures almost all Psychic types are doomed against Samurott) with item disruption, while Retaliate is worth consideration on the Choice Band set for a powerful revenge kill. Aqua Jet is an option to path up Samurott's lackluster speed.

SwordMage
    Samurott
    Ability: Torrent/Shell Armor
    Item: Choice Specs/Expert Belt/Life Orb
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Air Slash
    -Grass Knot
    Nature: Modest (+SATK, -ATK) or Timid (+SPD, -ATK)
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SATK/4 SDEF OR 4 HP/252 SATK/252 SPD

Special Samurott. Hydro Pump for Powerful Water STAB, Ice Beam for Ice Coverage. Air Slash and Grass Knot round out Samurott's viable special movepool (the latter is good against opposing Water types at least). Special Samurott doesn't have any way to patch it's speed, so a Choice Scarf may be of merit, especially considering it synergizes with Air Slash well...

Other Options
    Scald -Reliable Special Water attack with a good chance to burn
    Taunt -Always a nice option and shuts down any tanks who would view Samurott as fodder
    Swords Dance -Gives the Physical set some real teeth and makes Samurott scary.

Option I wish Samurott Had
    Shell Smash: It fits -Samurott wears a big shell... And would help it out so much, turning Samurott's meh offenses and speed into something scary. Samurott's move pool is wide enough to keep people guessing on whether or not it is Physical or Special or Mixed, and its counters would vary depending on the moves it chooses to run.
    Leaf Blade: Samurott has all of the other sword moves. And an option for the physical set to take care of Water types would be great.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  4. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

Also it says only one other Pokemon has the same type combo as Scizor..... Durant, Escavalier, and Genesect feel like trash...... as does a certain form of Wormadam

5. Lucario At Service

Lucario At Service Calm Trainer

My guess is someone used an old article as a base, and edited it to add the new info's, but didn't do it properly.
    I mean, "Intimidate" on Scizor?

As for the 'sharing type combo' part, most likely that part was copy-pasted from a pre-4th Gen article.

6. ericgall23

ericgall23 Pokémon Fan

I always knew the quality of this site was going down...

Modest on a Scizor is the worst nature ever! Don't use this at all!

Also, like aonthoer person said earlier, there are 5 Bug-Steel types: Scizor, Foretress, Excavalier, Genesect et Wormadam-Steel.

It is just just so disapointing that the site's quality is going down, coz I really loved the site yerars ago... Why not closing it forever and do something new instead? If the creators/writers lacks passion, why don't they give up and do something new instead? Or maybe, why do they continue the PotW if they lack passion?

Plus, if they remove the past generations Potw (Gen3-5) from the site menu, they thrash their old works, which were really well done. That is a waste of time after all...

That is just recommendantions, not insults!

Good luck!

7. bobguy117

bobguy117 Member

These forum posts have always been almost completely ignored, they're basically just a place for visitors to swap sets with each other (though usually it's just a bunch of posts containing the same sets one after another).

They make a new one of these each week to make sure the community feels engaged, but the author usually either just makes up their own sets on the fly (you can tell which ones these are because of the obvious errors) or just copies and pastes them directly from Smogon.

8. GeeGee

GeeGee Late to the party

Pros:
    +Mono water typing is good
    +100/108/70 offenses is respectable on both the physical and special sides
    +movepool includes decent physical options as well as access to swords dance and encore
    +95/85/70 bulk is decent

Cons:
    -Poor 70 speed makes sweeping difficult
    -no boosting moves for special sets leaves it high and dry
    -both of its abilities are pretty lacklustre
    -special bulk could be better
    -special movepool is pretty lacking

Abilities
    Torrent: Boosts water type move's power by 50% when at 33% or less max HP. While 50% is nothing to scoff at, its hard to stay alive at such low health with only moderate bulk, running the risk of getting revenge killed.
    Shell Armor: Blocks critical hits. Blocking crits that prevent your opponent from getting lucky KOs is nice, but you'll never know when it activates, which is a letdown. Also, its not as useful on an offensive pokemon.

Sets

Swords Dance
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Ability: Torrent
    Item: Life orb
    Ev's: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
    Moves:
    -Swords Dance
    -Liquidation/Razor Shell/Waterfall
    -Aqua Jet
    -Megahorn/Sacred Sword

Swords dance gives Samurott actual physical offensive presence. For main STAB, Liquidation has the best damage, and a nice 20% chance to lower defense. Razor shell has slightly less power at 75, but a whopping 50% chance of lowering defense. Waterfall sits right in the middle in terms of damage at 80, but has a 20% chance of flinching, which can be very useful against slower opponents. Aqua Jet allows Samurott to pick off weakened enemies, or Potentially outright KO key threats before they can cause any trouble. Megahorn hits grass, psychic and dark types, while Sacred Sword hits Steel, Dark, Ice and Normal types.

Other Options: Smart strike offers Steel type coverage for fairy types, as well as having the nice bonus of never missing. Iron tail hits harder, but has less accuracy. X-scissor is an alternate bug type option if Accuracy is more important than damage. Night slash hits Ghost types and has a nice chance of a critical hit. Knock off removes the foes held item while hitting like a truck while doing so. Dragon tail is a phasing option to remove threats while they're attempting to set up. Super Power packs a nice punch, but it does drop your attack and defense after using it.

Special Attacker
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    Ability: Torrent
    Item: Life Orb
    Ev's: 4Hp/252Spa/252Spe
    Moves:
    -Hydro Pump/Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Grass knot
    -Air slash/Hidden Power Fire

Samurott's special movepool is sadly pretty lacking. The above moves are pretty much all of the available options to Samurott. Hydro pump packs a wallop, but low accuracy makes it risky. Scald is the safer bet with a solid chance to burn. Ice beam hits flying, dragon, and grass types that would want to come into Samurott. Grass knot hits water/ground types like Gastrodon, Quagsire, and whatnot. Air slash is another option to hit grass types, as well as bug and fighting types. Hidden power Fire hits steel types, and once again, grass types.

9. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

I've done this before, but let me dispel a few misconceptions right now before steering us back to the subject at hand.

To begin with, Lucario at Service is right. Nobody wrote a set suggesting Modest Scizor, or Assault Vest with Protect. This is not a new problem at all and I wish it wasn't an issue, but generally speaking when blatant errors like this happen this has little to do with the writers and everything to do with the uploading process. I can't give a more detailed answer on why this happens because only Serebii can upload, but sometimes when uploading the article mistakes like this happen, whether it's accidental parsing from a previous week or something else entirely. I'm not Serebii so I don't know the exact reason this happens.

While this doesn't always occur, I actually do proofread these articles when I'm not the active writer. As someone heavily involved in Smogon C&C, I'm very well aware of the shortcomings of a weekly article with only a handful of active writers though (to that end, it's a laughable suggestion that these sets are copy/pasted from Smogon). There are a limited amount of active writers so sometimes this doesn't happen and a few small errors might slip by, but let me assure you that all the writers here know better than to suggest Modest Scizor. Actual errors do sometimes happen on the writing end though, especially since proofreading doesn't always happen, but set errors are usually not where this happens.

In the future, I would highly recommend messaging me or Serebii any time errors happen (whether it's on here or Discord) rather than distract from the PotW thread here. Hopefully I explained things adequately enough and that we can move back to discussing the current Pokemon. If anyone has any further comments or questions feel free to VM or PM me.

I don't know why or when that was changed but I've fixed the latter issue. Deleted this post to keep the thread on track and because this is now fixed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.