• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #064

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week we go to Galar!

862.png

It's Obstagoon!

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
Of all the Pokemon we hoped and anticipated we would get in generation 8 like a dolphin Pokemon or "Gun Doggo", I don't think any of us were expecting a punk rock regional variant of Zigzagoon and Linoone, or that they would evolve into Gene Simmons:
RPmizau8SkQsV3ZgrqQNbf-1200-80.jpg

Putting aside the obvious homage to the rock band member, Obstagoon is deceptively strong and difficult to defend against thanks to the combination of Guts plus STAB Facade, excellent neutral coverage with its STAB, a wide offensive movepool, and access to Obstruct. While not the fastest sweeper around, this rock'n rodent will rock and roll all night, and destroy your opponent's party every day if you let it.

KISS of Death
Ability: Guts
Item: Flame Orb
Nature: Jolly (+Speed -Sp.Attack)
EVs: (HP 4) (Attack 252) (Speed 252)

Moves:
Obstruct/Protect/Bulk Up
Facade
Knock Off
Close Combat

Set Details:
A straightforward offensive sweeper that takes full advantage of Guts and its signature move Obstruct. Obstruct is basically King's Shield only it drops your opponent's defense stat one stage instead of its attack upon blocking a direct hit. This serves three roles: Scouting the opponent's moves, buying a turn for the Flame Orb to burn Obstagoon and trigger Guts, and to drop the defense of opposing direct attackers effectively ensuring KO's where Obstagoon normally could not. Granted, Obstruct cannot block status moves so if you want to play it safer you could just use Protect instead, or opt to go with Bulk Up if you are feeling particularly adventurous. Facade is your main STAB since it doubles to 140 base power before STAB while Obstagoon is burned, and that isn't even factoring in the extra 1.5x boost from Guts, allowing it to deal massive damage with little risk during set up. Knock Off is your secondary STAB which takes down Ghost types that can come in on Facade, has near perfect neutral coverage in tangent with your Normal STAB, and the item removal is always an added plus. The last move slot goes to Close Combat which handles the Rock and Steel types resistant to Facade, takes the likes of Lucario and Terrakion down, and at least does neutral damage to Diancie and Magearna.

Last edited:

BillyBobJoe

Honestly, I use a similar set on the Obstagoon I used on my main team (after switching its ability), though using Night Slash instead (since I caught it rather than breeding one). Arguably Obstagoon’s biggest weakness is a complete inability to counter Fighting types, which is a quad weakness.

Also, will we be doing a pre-evolution corner for Linoone? I ask since the difference in Speed would merit different play styles. If so, here is a potential Linoone set:

I am Speed
Ability: Quick Feet
Item: Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
-Knock Off [/Throat Chop]
-Gunk Shot [Play Rough]
-Parting Shot/Switcheroo [Extreme Speed]
-Facade
Adamant Nature
EV’s: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

Similar set idea to the Obstagoon one, only focusing on the pre-evolution’s higher speed. The attacks in brackets are for use on normal Linoone, which can accomplish the same goals with those moves instead. Facade is the same as Obstagoon (though Toxic Orb can be used to not affect Attack), same for Knock Off. Throat Chop is an alternate STAB or an anti-Ghost attack for normal Linoone. Gunk Shot/Play Rough are to cover weaknesses (Fairy/Fighting respectively). Parting Shot can be used to both weaken opponents and to reset the Toxic accumulation. Alternatively, Switcheroo can give either orb to the opponent.

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
Honestly, I use a similar set on the Obstagoon I used on my main team (after switching its ability), though using Night Slash instead (since I caught it rather than breeding one). Arguably Obstagoon’s biggest weakness is a complete inability to counter Fighting types, which is a quad weakness.

Also, will we be doing a pre-evolution corner for Linoone? I ask since the difference in Speed would merit different play styles. If so, here is a potential Linoone set:

I am Speed
-Knock Off [/Throat Chop]
-Gunk Shot [Play Rough]
-Parting Shot/Switcheroo [Extreme Speed]
-Facade
Adamant Nature
EV’s: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

Similar set idea to the Obstagoon one, only focusing on the pre-evolution’s higher speed. The attacks in brackets are for use on normal Linoone, which can accomplish the same goals with those moves instead. Facade is the same as Obstagoon (though Toxic Orb can be used to not affect Attack), same for Knock Off. Throat Chop is an alternate STAB or an anti-Ghost attack for normal Linoone. Gunk Shot/Play Rough are to cover weaknesses (Fairy/Fighting respectively). Parting Shot can be used to both weaken opponents and to reset the Toxic accumulation. Alternatively, Switcheroo can give either orb to the opponent.
It should be noted that only Hoenn Linoone can learn ExtremeSpeed. So everyone putting together a set should keep that in mind. That said, Belly Drum + ExtremeSpeed + Gluttony (With 33% heal berry) is a dangerous set for Hoenn Linoone as well if you can survive the initial boost.

Belly Drum
ExtremeSpeed
Throat Chop
Stomping Tantrum (For Rock and Steel)

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
I am Speed
Flame Orb is never recommended on a Physical Sweeper that doesn't have Guts due to the Attack Drop.

As for Obstagoon, its typing is odd. Normal adds nothing to Dark defensively beyond upgrading its resistance to Ghost to an immunity, though the additional Normal STAB (especially with Guts + Facade) is welcome. Which is a shame, because Obstagoon's defenses are decent. Really that's Obstagoon in a nutshell, decent. Decent Defenses, decent Attack, decent Speed. It has the tools to perform any role except special sweeper, but is easily outclassed.

Additionally, in order to get to acceptable levels of Power, Obstagoon is heavily reliant on its ability, whether that is Guts or Defiant. Guts is generally preferred in Singles due to being able to reliably setup on your own, while Defiant actually has its use in doubles due to the number of Intimidates, Icy Winds, etc. flying around to easily nab a boost or two.

Mosh Pit
Obstagoon
Ability
: Defiant
Item: Choice Scarf
-Knock Off
-Obstruct
-Parting Shot
-Close Combat/Ice Punch/Gunk Shot
Nature: Jolly (+SPE, -SATK)
EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE

Doubles Obstagoon is quite a different beast from Singles Obstagoon. Defiant combos well with Choice Scarf, allowing Obstagoon to patch up its Speed and Power to turn into quite the threat. Knock Off is a Great STAB that causes disruption by removing items which can be key to some strategies (i.e. Weakness Policy Tyranitar). Obstruct is Obstagoon's personal Protect that while not protecting against status moves punishes Predicted Fake Outs and Attacks by dropping the target's DEF. Yes you will have to switch out after an Obstruct, but that DEF drop can be key in nabbing that crucial KO. Parting Shot enables Obstagoon to pivot out while weakening the attacker's offenses, if you feel that Obstruct is not the right move for the situation. Coverage move is up to personal preference. Close Combat decimates opposing Dark types that resist Knock Off, Ice Punch maims the numerous Dragon and Flying types and Gunk Shot bins Fairy types including the ever useful Tapus.

Nature and EVs are the standard Sweeper Array, maximizing power and speed.

Other Options
Switcheroo -Tricking an Item is a great way to shutdown an opponent. Maybe even two depending on what item you get.
Seed Bomb -Hits Water, Rock and Ground types hard, but Obstagoon prefers the coverage from Close Combat and other moves more, not to mention Grass is resisted by a lot of types.

Status
Not open for further replies.