• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #070

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and the randomiser keeps on giving

169.png

It's Crobat, the awesomely fast evolution of the classic Golbat. With its Speed and the Fairy-type being weak to Poison, it is seeing increased use

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/169.shtml

Go nuts

imran3

Nothing much...
Batman's back, and Wow! Look at that Attack!
Crobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
Brave Bird
X-Scissor/Steel Wing
Cross Poison
Roost

Infiltrator to hit through pesky Subs and Reflects.
Life Orb boosts this guy's offenses by 1.33 which give about an effective 372 Attack stat, as strong as Mega Camerupt accounting with the EVs and IVs. 252 Spd and Jolly gives it a whopping 394 Spd which is as fast as Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo X.
This is my offensive physical set. I never really use this guy, but Maxie is a really reliable partner in the Maison due to this guy (screw Mega Camerupt). Brave Bird and Cross Poison for STAB. Roost to recover damage from Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil and X-Scissor to punish Psychics. It has a poor Physical movepool and good Attack, but a rich Special movepool but underwhelming Sp.Attack. Steel Wing is also an option to punish Ices and Rocks.

I'm pretty sure this guy could be used either way, but I'll leave a try for someone at his Special movepool, and to give him a Sash.

Note: I might edit the HP after I calculate it to find out that it is a multiple of 8. This is my first time I contributed to the POTW, I hope I did satisfactory :I And sorry for all the Camerupts :p

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Fastest thing Alive
I am the hero this town needs, but not the one it deserves.
Crobat@Choice Band
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Brave Bird
-Cross Poison
-X-Scissor
-Pursuit

Typical Banded set. Brave 'Bat' is Crobat's strongest STAB move. Cross Poison is a secondary STAB Move, as well as the strongest Poison-Type move it can learn (Sadly, Crobat cannot learn Gunk Shot). X-Scissor helps to deal with pesky Psychic-types that would otherwise turn it to mush. Pursuit is to trap things that don't want to stay in on Crobat, as well as hit Steel-Types (though you'd be better off using Brave Bird anyway.). EVs and IVs are self-explanatory. Infiltrator is rather helpful, as it allows you to ignore pesky Substitutes and Screens.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Because I'm bat

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Jolly nature
Infiltrator
252 Hp / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
- Super Fang
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Support Crobat with Super Fang to help deal with walls, U-turn to a hard hitter and break the wall. Roost is to stay around longer and Defog is for clearing hazards, always nice. An offensive move could be used instead of Super Fang, in case it often ends up as the last pokemon on your team.

And why is Golbat not in the Pre-evo corner? It is a bulky supporter with Eviolite and can use the same set, it's a pain to deal with in lower tiers.

Golbat @ Eviolite
Bold nature
Infiltrator
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SDef
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic
- Super Fang / Brave Bird
- U-turn

Physical wall. Roost for obvious reasons, Defog for hazard removal. 3rd slot is a move to deal some damage, and U-Turn is to get a little damage and run. Toxic is an option to be that annoying wall thing that slowly wears the opposition down, but Defog is more often useful, since hazards are everywhere.

Last edited:

Chinonso

Therians
Crobat is pretty cool, but it has quite a few hindrances that prevent it from being awesome:
Positives:
+ Base 130 Speed makes it the 17th fastest Pokemon ever. It ties with Mewtwo, Mega Gengar, Aerodactyl and even Jolteon.
+ Base 90 Attack means it can pull off decent hits.
+ Famous for being annoying.
+ A decent movepool, focusing on being a right idiot and pain to deal with.
+ Makes good use of Infiltrator.

Negatives:
- Eviolite Golbat has better defences.
- It's too weak. 90/70 offensives mean it has to get a crit or land super-effective damage to gain any form of a hurt on the opponent.
- 85/80/80 defences aren't great either. Like I said, Eviolite Golbat has better defences.
- I think that Smogon will ban Super Fang. It's a little too overpowered for my liking. 50% of the remaining health means it can use that and then knock it out with a different move.

Abilities:
Inner Focus: This Pokemon will not flinch, except for when Focus Punch is used. This isn't bad on anyone's chart, because of Fake Out and Rock Slide and other annoying flinching moves, but it does fall inferior to its other ability.
Hidden Ability:
Infiltrator: This Pokemon will hit through Substitutes, Reflects, Light Screens and Safeguards. It's a very good ability to prevent the stall game that 99 percent of us hate. Being able to hit straight through them means it effectively renders certain stallers like Meowstic-M useless.

Moveset:
Super Fang
U-Turn
Acrobatics
Roost

Item: Flying Gem
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD

Super Fang and Flying Gem Acrobatics is the way to go. Acrobatics deals double damage when there's no item, but it's a shame there's no ability that can abuse that...

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Crobat is an awesome pokemon. In fact it makes it worthwhile that Zubats are everywhere. Unfortunately, Base 130 SPD isn’t as awesome as it used to be, but Crobat is still capable of causing quite a bit of damage.

At first glance, Crobat doesn’t seem that impressive. Sure Base 130 SPD is utterly amazing, but none of its other stats ever break 100. That being said, 90 ATK is usable while 85/80/80 defenses is not what one should call frail (unless you are in Ubers, but that’s another story). What makes Crobat awesome is its moveset. Base 130 is fast enough that Crobat edges into Psuedo-Prankster territory and has the moveset to abuse that. Haze, Toxic, and Defog are just some of the nasty toys Crobat can bring to the table. And that high speed means even attacking moves see a new light… and near guarantees Crobat a U-Turn at the very least.

Don’t blink… You are already ½ dead
Crobat (Infiltrator)
Item: Black Sludge
-Taunt
-Toxic
-Super Fang
-U-Turn/Brave Bird (Bat?)
Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) OR Jolly (+SPD, -SATK)
EVs: 252 SPD/200 ATK/56 HP

You never expected something like Crobat to be a wall breaker didn’t you? This set works amazingly on more passive walls: Taunt ruins their ability to recover, Toxic saps their HP (and never misses) and Super Fang takes away ½ their HP before they can blink. It is amazing how much less bulky a pokemon is at 50% HP. Final move is up to preference. Brave Bat (Bird) is a coup de grace on weakened sweepers, while U-Turn allows Crobat to perform a hit and run on other targets that switch in.

SaBATuer
Crobat (Infiltrator)
Item: Black Sludge
-Toxic
-Venom Drench
-Brave Bird/Cross Poison/Super Fang
-U-Turn
Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) OR Impish (+DEF, -SATK) OR Careful (+SDEF, -SATK) OR Jolly (+SPD, -SATK)
EVs: 252 SPD/200 HP/56 ATK

And after an anti-wall set, how about an anti-sweeper set? Venom Drench halves the offenses and speed of a poisoned pokemon… How many sweeper rely on their offenses? Oh right, ALL of them. The speed nerf helps too, though Crobat needs to catch a faster target on the switch w/Toxic spikes support. After you have the sweeper poisoned and broken, go for the kill with Brave Bird or Cross Poison, throw salt in the wound with Super Fang or switch out to a better ally with U-Turn.

Other Options

Haze
-Ruins setup sweepers days and Crobat is the fastest user in the game.

Defog
-Remove entry hazards!

Screech
-The closest Crobat will get to being a setup Physical sweeper. Pairs well with Confuse Ray and Swagger.

Hypnosis
-Being one of the fastest Sleep Inducers in the game has to count for something. Works well with Defog.

Nasty Plot+Special moves
-Crobat has quite a few special attacks, but its low SATK makes this gimmicky at best.

Pursuit
-Considering what Crobat can screw over, it can provoke a lot of switches.

Roost
-Hinders wear down from Stealth Rocks.

Stopping the Bat
Steel types and Stealth Rocks. Steel types wall everything Crobat has to through at them save Super Fang (Aegislash and its ilk laugh at that too) forcing Crobat to rely on its allies or hax to take them down. Poison types perform well, stopping some of Crobat’s nastier tricks, but unless physically bulky, they won’t like taking a Brave Bat too well. Likewise with Ghost types in regards to Super Fang. Stealth Rocks are Crobat’s bane. With its many resistances and weakneses, Crobat is often switching in and out of battle, which means that a Stealth Rock weakness really hurts. In addition Crobat isn’t that strong defensively, so powerful priority moves will leave it broken on the floor. Taunt shuts down the many status moves Crobat is like to possess, but don’t rely on substitute. The bat can Poison and Super Fang you through that.

My second favorite Pokemon ever.

My set-
Brave Bat
Crobat @ Choice Band
Infiltrator
-Brave Bird
-Zen Headbutt
-Steel Wing
-Cross Poison
Jolly (+Spd -SpAtk) 252Atk 252Spd 4SpDef

Last edited:

pika250

And why is Golbat not in the Pre-evo corner? It is a bulky supporter with Eviolite and can use the same set, it's a pain to deal with in lower tiers.

Same goes with Zubat in little cup, albeit with its own set tailored for LC

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Keep in mind that the pre-evolution corner is rarely if ever mentioned in the first post. Pre-evolution corner can be discussed at any time within a thread and is added once the final PotW is posted on the site.

Aka rather than asking about it, there's nothing to actually stop you from posting about Golbat or Zubat.

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Let's not forget the gen 5 pokémon of the week set, it works really great.

When you have broken your opponent's stall, you have my permission to die
- Brave Bird / Cross Poison
- Roost
- Taunt
- Super Fang
Item Attached: Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 168 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 144 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

Cross Poison is weaker but hits fairy for a super effective hit while Brave Bird is stronger in general and has recoil, Taunt + Super Fang breaks stall and Roost helps with recovery, in theory you don't need Infiltrator since Crobat is fast and can Taunt before the enemy uses Substitute, but it can be used if you are dealing against Prankster uses to stop their dual screens. The EVs look weird but they serve a specific purpose. 168 HP helps capitalize on bulk and hits an odd HP number meaning Stealth Rocks does less damage. 192 Attack guarantees Brave Bird OHKOs Scrafty after Stealth Rock damage and gives it about 22% more power than you would have with no Attack EVs. 4 Special Defense makes sure Download Pokemon like Porygon Z or Genesect get an Attack boost against you. 144 Speed outruns base 115s like Azelf as well as Scarf Tyranitar.

Also, about doubles: "Crobat is immune to Fake Out flinches, is extremely fast, gets Sunny Day / Rain Dance, has acceptable bulk, learns Heat Wave, and Tailwind. If that wasn't enough it's a perfectly capable user of Flight Gem + Acrobatics. It can Taunt Trick Room users and smash tanks like Cresselia and Metagross with Super Fang. Crobat has a TON of Doubles options."

venom1950

Ace Trainer
Crobat...my top 5 favourite pokemon. A very fun to use pokemon.
As a double battle aficionado i'll post a set i used a couple of times.

Crobat
@Black Sludge
Nature: Modest
-Air Cutter
-Venoshock
-Venom drench
-Confuse ray/Shadow Ball

I used it in combination with a toxic user. Drenching attack from a physical attacker is awesome. Poisoned fairies get devastated by venoshock.

Crobat has awesome stats. It is fast. It has great defensive stats. Great attack and ok special attack.

Sapphirewave

Master of Memories
Ok, here goes nothing.

Item: Choice Band
Brave Bird
U-turn
Cross Poison
Defog/Pursuit/X Scissor

Atk252
HP/Def/Spd 44
Spe 212

This is basically the same as every other Choice Band set, but with some minor changes to the EV sets to take a little away from speed. Since the moves are probably similar to the sets everyone else is posting, I’m going to justify my choice of EV distribution.

Crobat has an astounding 130 base speed and is one of 6 Pokémon tied for the 14th fastest Pokémon in the game. With a jolly nature, it can reach a speed of 394 at level 100. However, I recommend that you only give it enough speed EVs to put it at 384. The reason for this is that all the Pokémon in Crobat’s speed tier are guys that would force Crobat to switch out such as Jolteon, Mewtwo, and sometimes other Crobat. Because of this, there is no reason to max out Crobat’s speed.

The 4 fastest Pokémon after Crowbat are Meloetta-P, Shaymin sky, Talonflame, and Swellow, but they are irrelevant for one reason or another. Meloetta-P would not be sent out to fight Crobat and would take a turn to transform giving Crobat a chance to do some major damage while it would still be Meloetta-A. Shaymin sky is weak to poison and in Ubers so the chances of Crobat fighting one are low. Talonflame would probably use priority Brave Bird, so speed is irrelevant. Finally, I wouldn’t think that Swellow would be a common threat in UU or higher tiers, so I personally wouldn't worry about it.

However, Weavile has a max speed of 383, so with a speed of 384, Crobat will always out speed it so long as it is doesn’t have anything to boost its speed or use a priority move. This will also leave you with the remaining EVs to give Crowbat some more bulk wherever you need it.

I think I did the math correctly, but I highly recommend someone double check it, also I’m not too sure if all of this is even valid in a battle with level 50 Pokémon, so maybe it should be 216 or 220 speed instead.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Brave Bat
Crobat@Life Orb/Black Sludge/Choice Band
Jolly nature
Infiltrator
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~Brave Bird
~Cross Poison
~Hypnosis/Steel Wing
~U-turn/Roost

Crobat is that which the lowliest of wild Zubat aspires to be. Nice attacking stats, and incredible Speed. Brave Bird and Cross Poison are your STAB moves here, both of which capable of dealing out excellent amounts of damage. Hypnosis is a nice move to put opponents to sleep, though I really wish they hadn't returned its accuracy back to 60% in Platinum. What was so bad about 70% accurate Hypnosis that they had to change it back mid-generation, anyway? Acid Rain lasted all the way until Generation V, but oh, no, this couldn't wait! Anyway, Steel Wing is a lovely alternative to Hypnosis, and U-turn is useful for a hasty retreat. Alternatively, Roost can help deal with that Brave Bird recoil.

Item is for boosting Crobat's Attack or healing up Brave Bird recoil. It's basically your call. Ability ensures that Reflect and Substitutes are not a problem.

Nasty Bat
Crobat@Black Sludge/Focus Sash
Timid nature
Infiltrator
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
~Nasty Plot
~Sludge Bomb
~Air Slash
~Heat Wave/Dark Pulse

Crobat also gains access to Nasty Plot to give its Special Attack a lovely little buff. Sludge Bomb and Air Slash are your STAB moves of choice- Air Slash in particular is likely to make enemies flinch thanks to Crobat almost being guaranteed to move first. Heat Wave is a nasty little surprise for those Steel-types, though Dark Pulse works as well.

Item is for either helping Crobat to regain HP or survive the setup turn, whichever you think is necessary. Ability, same as last time.

Double The Wings, Doubly Annoying
Crobat@Black Sludge/Mental Herb
Jolly nature
Infiltrator
252 HP/252 Speed/4 Defense
~Mean Look
~Confuse Ray/Swagger
~Toxic/Poison Fang
~Roost/Taunt/Substitute

Anyone who's ever encountered a wild Golbat in Victory Road knows exactly where this is going. Mean Look traps the enemy, Confuse Ray confuses it (Swagger works as well to give the confusion damage that little extra edge), Toxic poisons it (Poison Fang has a 50% chance to badly poison and also prevents this Crobat from being total Taunt bait), and Roost helps Crobat recover any HP it might lose. Taunt is also a good option to prevent enemies from using Taunt themselves, and Substitute is also an option to make Crobat even more annoying. This moveset has been brought to you by a large flock of Golbat in an undisclosed Victory Road, in exchange for them allowing me to survive when they soon rise up and take over the world. I for one welcome our new Golbat overlords.

Item helps keep Crobat alive or lets it shrug off a Taunt, whichever you think is necessary. Ability, same as last time, because nobody likes to work around a Substitute. Or Safeguard in this case.

Other options:
*X-Scissor, Shadow Ball, Giga Drain, and Zen Headbutt are viable options for their respective attacking sets.
*Crobat learns Acrobatics, but since there's yet to be a way to get a Flying Gem in a Generation VI game, it's not quite so useful at this time. That said, if you got another idea that'll make it work, then by all means.
*Oh, yeah- Crobat has Defog as an Egg move, and now that it removes entry hazards on both sides, it's decidedly more useful than it used to be. I'd call it worth consideration.

Abilities:
*Inner Focus: Crobat can't flinch. A great way to discourage Fake Out usage, but that's pretty much it- Crobat's way too fast for you to need to worry about non-priority moves causing it to flinch.
*Infiltrator: Crobat's Hidden Ability. Crobat's attacks are not hindered or blocked by the effects of Reflect, Light Screen, Mist, Safeguard, or Substitute, the last of which is new to this generation and was first discovered when yours truly first had an Infiltrator Noibat unleash Shadow Ball against a wild Rotom's Substitute, only to hit the Rotom itself. True story. Anyway, clearly the superior Ability for any Crobat, because Substitutes can be hell to deal with, and this lets you bypass them altogether? Yes, friggin' please! Thankfully completely legal on Crobat.

Partners:
Rapid Spin support, especially if you're using the Choice Band set. Alternatively, Hypnosis followed by U-turn is a perfect opportunity to bring in something that relies on a setup move- a sleeping enemy would buy it at least one turn for setting up.

Counters:
The annoyer set is out-and-out shut down by any semi-decent Klefki, who does it better, does it faster, and will Foul Play the s*** out of you before you so much as get off a Confuse Ray. Priority Taunt from a Whimsicott achieves the same effect unless you happen to be running the 4x super effective Poison Fang, though any other Crobat set destroys Whimsicott completely. Avalugg also springs to mind as something that can wall Crobat's physical moves, survive a special move with Sturdy, and either way, OHKO back with Avalanche. Really, just be wary of anything with decent bulk (or Sturdy!) and high Attack or Special Attack.

Opinion:
Crobat is awesome. No other word for it.

Prediction for next week:
Slurpuff.

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Ok, here goes nothing.

Item: Choice Band
Brave Bird
U-turn
Cross Poison
Defog/Pursuit/X Scissor

Atk252
HP/Def/Spd 44
Spe 212

This is basically the same as every other Choice Band set, but with some minor changes to the EV sets to take a little away from speed. Since the moves are probably similar to the sets everyone else is posting, I’m going to justify my choice of EV distribution.

Crobat has an astounding 130 base speed and is one of 6 Pokémon tied for the 14th fastest Pokémon in the game. With a jolly nature, it can reach a speed of 394 at level 100. However, I recommend that you only give it enough speed EVs to put it at 384. The reason for this is that all the Pokémon in Crobat’s speed tier are guys that would force Crobat to switch out such as Jolteon, Mewtwo, and sometimes other Crobat. Because of this, there is no reason to max out Crobat’s speed.

The 4 fastest Pokémon after Crowbat are Meloetta-P, Shaymin sky, Talonflame, and Swellow, but they are irrelevant for one reason or another. Meloetta-P would not be sent out to fight Crobat and would take a turn to transform giving Crobat a chance to do some major damage while it would still be Meloetta-A. Shaymin sky is weak to poison and in Ubers so the chances of Crobat fighting one are low. Talonflame would probably use priority Brave Bird, so speed is irrelevant. Finally, I wouldn’t think that Swellow would be a common threat in UU or higher tiers, so I personally wouldn't worry about it.

However, Weavile has a max speed of 383, so with a speed of 384, Crobat will always out speed it so long as it is doesn’t have anything to boost its speed or use a priority move. This will also leave you with the remaining EVs to give Crowbat some more bulk wherever you need it.

I think I did the math correctly, but I highly recommend someone double check it, also I’m not too sure if all of this is even valid in a battle with level 50 Pokémon, so maybe it should be 216 or 220 speed instead.

I just used the serebii.net IV calculator and an EV of 212 in SPD gave me a 383 SPD Crobat instead.

Yeah, if you want to beat Jolly Weavile, you'll need 216 EVs with a Jolly nature (this actually hits a jump point and gives you a speed stat of 385, which is cool I guess). At that point, though, you might as well run max Spe to beat positive base 70s/neutral base 80s at +1 and speed tie with opposing Crobat at worst, unless those extra 10 HP/Def/SpD points are really that important. You also need 240 EVs to be able to effectively check Meloetta-P, at which point those leftover EVs are even less relevant.

Sapphirewave

Master of Memories
Thanks, I forgot about the IV Calculator.

Yeah, if you want to beat Jolly Weavile, you'll need 216 EVs with a Jolly nature (this actually hits a jump point and gives you a speed stat of 385, which is cool I guess). At that point, though, you might as well run max Spe to beat positive base 70s/neutral base 80s at +1 and speed tie with opposing Crobat at worst, unless those extra 10 HP/Def/SpD points are really that important. You also need 240 EVs to be able to effectively check Meloetta-P, at which point those leftover EVs are even less relevant.

Anyway, I guess you have a point about the whole Meloetta-P, jesusfreak94. I just didn’t bother seeing it as a relevant threat because of its lower speed and defense before it transforms and most sets I’ve seen don’t carry moves that would be useful when facing a Crobat. However, I forgot to consider +1 base70/80. So yeah, I guess that wouldn’t accomplish as much as a max investment in speed. I’ll try to do more research next time I try to build a set that breaks the typical mold.

ampfire101

I'LL BE BAT
Moves:
-Sludge Bomb
-Air Slash
-Heat Wave/ Giga Drain/ Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+Sp Atk, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

While Crobat's special movepool isn't spectacular, it's certainly able to hold its own. With a Life Orb and a Nasty Plot, Ferrothorn will be OHKO'd by a Heat Wave. A Life Orb Giga Drain can nail Unaware Quagsire, and can replenish health lost from the item. That's right, many threats think this set is a nightmare. Bulky Fairies like Florges and Sylveon risk a 2HKO from Sludge Bomb, Mega Venasaur is threatened by a 2HKO from Air Slash, I could go on. And with Infiltrator, it's all the more menacing. Common Substitute users like Mega Gengar risk OHKOs from Dark Pulse and Garchomp fears Air Slash. However, the base 70 Sp. Atk isn't too popular, and it would be a lot more used if something like Earth Power (For Aggron) or Focus Blast (for Blissey) fell into this thing's hands. But alas. If you want to try an unexpected set, this is the Pokémon for you.

Countering:
Crobat relies on its speed in most situations, so Prankster Thunder Wave from Klefki or Thundrus could work. And this thing HATES Stealth Rock, just be sure the bat doesn't regain the health lost with a Giga Drain on your Quagsire, Rhypherior, or any other Stealth Rocker weak to Grass attacks. Ferrothorn can hold its own, but it sucks against the special set that includes Heat Wave. Skarmory is in the same boat as Ferrothorn, and Crobat is forced to use something like U-Turn to get out of there if it doesn't have Heat Wave. On the contrary, Blissey can defend against they special set, but Acrobatics can totally nail it, and being poisoned really isn't its thing either. Aggron can be 3HKO'd at best by Heat Wave, as long as it isn't burned, and can OHKO with Rock Slide. Another answer is to just murder it with a +2 Brave Bird from Gale Wings Talonflame or +2 Quick Attack from Mega Pinsir. Trick Room also exists, and can screw Crobat over, as again, it relies on its speed. Some Choice Scarfers like Jolteon can just decimate it before it can attack (in this case, hit with Discharge). Heatran fears virtually nothing from it other than of course Super Fang. Really, as long as you can easily dispose of it or wall it, you're good.

ClownyKniggit

I love the bat a lot from olden day nostalgia to being a personal favorite. Personally I use my bat as a anti hazard pokemon cause my precious charizard doesnt like rocks. But one thing I didn't see mentioned yet was a new move Crobat got added to its movepool in ORAS: Quick Guard. The offensive bats seem to be covered already so I'll post my current set and my theorized doubles set utilizing Quick Guard.

FEAR THE CAVES

Ability: Infiltrator (self explanatory dealing with them pesky substitutes as well as nailing something for surprising damage through screens)
Item: Black Sludge (passive recovery and deters trick)
Nature: Jolly (need my bat to be like Santa to outspeed a certain frog)
EV's: 252 HP, 200 Speed, leftovers into ATK or Def (the nature and speed evs are just enough to outspeed greninja at lvl 50 and speed tie noivern; Def to take a hit or Atk to give Brave Bird a lil boost)

Moveset:
- Brave Bird (obligatory STAB that still does respectable damage to non tanky or resistant targets)
- Taunt (more dealing with set up sweepers, hazards, walls recovering, etc)
- Defog (No Rocks, screens, or spikes for you, also the evasion drop can be paired with a low accuracy focus blast from something you switch in for example)
- U Turn (as stated Crobat can force some switches and after taunting or Defog can gain momentum)

Other options for this bat are Toxic, Roost, Super Fang depending on what Crobat's main job is. Outside of Brave Bird and Super Fang though, Crobat's other atks with this EV spread aren't too stellar

CROBATMAN, THE HERO ITS TALONFLAME WEAK PARTNER DOESNT DESERVE BUT THE ONE IT NEEDS

Ability: Inner Focus or Infiltrator (both work well in doubles but considering we're bringing Quick Guard I'd prefer infiltrator)
Item: Black Sludge or Sitrus Berry (passive or a 1 time insta recovery)
EV's: 252 HP, 200 speed, rest in Def (its similar to the ev's above to again deal with greninja, also even though Quick Guard has priority it shares the same priority as Fake Out)
252 HP, 216 speed, rest in Def (instead of greninja its also about outspeeding Weavile if he troubles you)

Moveset:
- Quick Guard (Talonflame, Fake Out users, revenge killing priority. Also that pesky prankster key and thunder genie? Quick guard prevents those swaggers and T waves cause of how prankster and quick guard interact)
- Taunt (similar reasons as above except instead of hazards its about stopping opposing Guards, Protects, Substitutes, Screens)
- Super Fang (Main source of damage output cause again this bat is defensive and this move's damage isnt affected by intimidate)
- Tailwind (I prefer this move because crobat isn't an obvious tailwind set up and also with its speed will almost guarantee it gets it down before it faints)

Other options for the last slot can be Toxic, Roost, a fast Confuse Ray is still valuable even if it doesnt have priority, Protect is always a good option in doubles especially when paired with Black Sludge.

As for a pro Crobat has that hasn't been mentioned is its ability to severely check fighting types. As a Poison/Flying this bat takes .25 damage from fighting attacks and can respond in kind with a STAB Brave Bird. For the same reasons Crobat also can be an effective terminix employee (aka checking Bugs)

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
I'LL BE BAT
Moves:
-Sludge Bomb
-Air Slash
-Heat Wave/ Giga Drain/ Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+Sp Atk, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

While Crobat's special movepool isn't spectacular, it's certainly able to hold its own. With a Life Orb and a Nasty Plot, Ferrothorn will be OHKO'd by a Heat Wave. A Life Orb Giga Drain can nail Unaware Quagsire, and can replenish health lost from the item. That's right, many threats think this set is a nightmare. Bulky Fairies like Florges and Sylveon risk a 2HKO from Sludge Bomb, Mega Venasaur is threatened by a 2HKO from Air Slash, I could go on. And with Infiltrator, it's all the more menacing. Common Substitute users like Mega Gengar risk OHKOs from Dark Pulse and Garchomp fears Air Slash. However, the base 70 Sp. Atk isn't too popular, and it would be a lot more used if something like Earth Power (For Aggron) or Focus Blast (for Blissey) fell into this thing's hands. But alas. If you want to try an unexpected set, this is the Pokémon for you.

Countering:
Crobat relies on its speed in most situations, so Prankster Thunder Wave from Klefki or Thundrus could work. And this thing HATES Stealth Rock, just be sure the bat doesn't regain the health lost with a Giga Drain on your Quagsire, Rhypherior, or any other Stealth Rocker weak to Grass attacks. Ferrothorn can hold its own, but it sucks against the special set that includes Heat Wave. Skarmory is in the same boat as Ferrothorn, and Crobat is forced to use something like U-Turn to get out of there if it doesn't have Heat Wave. On the contrary, Blissey can defend against they special set, but Acrobatics can totally nail it, and being poisoned really isn't its thing either. Aggron can be 3HKO'd at best by Heat Wave, as long as it isn't burned, and can OHKO with Rock Slide. Another answer is to just murder it with a +2 Brave Bird from Gale Wings Talonflame or +2 Quick Attack from Mega Pinsir. Trick Room also exists, and can screw Crobat over, as again, it relies on its speed. Some Choice Scarfers like Jolteon can just decimate it before it can attack (in this case, hit with Discharge). Heatran fears virtually nothing from it other than of course Super Fang. Really, as long as you can easily dispose of it or wall it, you're good.
Crobat is not considered to be viable in OU so bringing up its performance against OU mons is pointless (being hard-walled by Heatran also blows). This set might work for UU, but I know very little about that tier so I can't say that with any confidence.

Kraleck

Crobat. I love this thing despite its obvious flaws. Let's go.

Stats:
-HP - Good - Base 85 HP is a decent start.
-Attack - Good - Base 90 Attack isn't the best, but it doesn't suck.
-Defense - Average - Base 80.
-Sp.Atk - Below Average - Base 70 Sp.Atk is forgettable, despite the Special Move options.
-Sp.Def - Average - Base 80.
-Speed - Incredible (non-Trick Room) - Base 130 Speed is a huge asset.

Abilities:
-Inner Focus - Blocks Flinching. Meh. Barring Fake Out, your Speed is often enough to block Flinching.
-Infiltrator (Hidden, Available) - This used to ignore Reflect and Light Screen, but now it ignores those AND Substitute and Safeguard. Considering my utter hatred of Substitute, I can think of no better Ability for this Speed demon.

Overall, Crobat has similar Stat and Type issues to non-Mega Pidgeot and Talonflame, but access to some good Moves to capitalize on that sweet Speed. Super Fang is a huge tool in Crobat's arsenal, halving the HP of any non-Ghost Type it hits. Having less HP to whittle through gives Crobat a great Move option. Access to Brave Bird, Cross Poison, and a few others round out its offense nicely.

However, Crobat's main drawback is a lack of damage output. Outside of Super Fang, you don't have a lot of oomph in your Attack or Sp.Atk to do much. Ignoring Substitute is a huge plus to counter it, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.