• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #072

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week we return to Galar

888.png
888-c.png

It's Zacian!

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Zacian, the legendary Warrior pokémon is just nuts on so many levels. Pure Fairy typing is a fantastic way to start, having only two weaknesses and a myriad of resistances. 92/115/115 defenses are very durable in conjunction with the pure Fairy typing. Base 138 speed outspeeds so many pokémon that it is ridiculous. Base 130 Attack may seem comparitively unimpressive, but Zacian's ability Intrepid Sword acts essentially as a Choice Band, before the item boost, giving it a respectable degree of power.

And then comes Zacian's Crowned form. With Base 170 attack, Zacian Crowned is tied for the highest available attack in the game with Kyurem Black and completely outstrips Kyurem Black with Intrepid Sword. Fairy Steel is a contender for the best typing in the game with 9 resistances including 2 immunities and only two weaknesses. And a Base Speed of 148 ensures that Zacian Crowned has everything it needs to succeed, outspeeding all but the fastest Pokémon. While Zacian Crowned may have 60 less BST than Mega Rayquaza and 34 less than Ultra Burst Necrozma, Zacian blows both out of the water with its excellent typing, stat distribution and ability. Zacian Crowned is a force of nature unto itself and while it may be more predictable than the other two, it can and will decimate entire teams on its own if given have a chance.

World Cleaving Slash
Zacian
Ability
: Intrepid Sword
Item: Choice Band
-Play Rough
-Close Combat
-Wild Charge
-Psychic Fangs
Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) or Jolly (+SPE, -SATK)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPE

Not much to say, have Zacian hit the field, rip something apart with a Choice Banded Attack, retreat as required, rinse and repeat until the opposing team or Zacian is knocked out. Play Rough is STAB and hits many valuable targets (Rayquaza, Zekrom, Yvetal, Kyurem, Dracovish, Zygarde, Palkia, Marshadow, Zamazenta, Urshifu, etc.). Close Combat provides valuable coverage and hits many Steel types that resist Play Rough (Ferrothorn, Heatran, Excadrill). Wild Charge hits the many Flying types that Zacian will likely be butting heads with (including Ho-oh, Lugia, Yvetal, as well as Kyogre). Psychic Fangs gives Zacian an answer against Poison types like Naganadel and Eternatus.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
My own in game Zacian, primarily as dynamax killer but does a job for the team competitively.

Ability: Intrepid Sword
Item: Rusted Sword
-Crunch
-Sacred Sword
-Iron Head (Behemoth Blade)
-Swords Dance
Nature: Jolly (+SPE, -SATK)

Generally, Behemoth Blade is the move of choice on everything dynamaxed. Swords Dance as the boost if a switch is predicted for extra power. Sacred Sword and Crunch round out the set fairly nicely to give coverage on near enough everything one might face.

Though as stated initially, it was designed as an ingame hammer more than anything else.

BillyBobJoe

Is Zacian really on par with Mega Rayquaza? Smogon lists its Crowned Sword form in the AG tier, which was the Mega Rayquaza tier.

Good Coverage Moves:
  • Dig- Fire (Poison, Steel)
  • Ice Fang- Ground
  • Psycho Cut, Psychic Fangs- Poison
  • Sacred Sword, Close Combat, Brick Break, Fire Fang- Steel

BillyBobJoe

My own in game Zacian, primarily as dynamax killer but does a job for the team competitively.

Ability: Intrepid Sword
Item: Rusted Sword
-Crunch
-Sacred Sword
-Iron Head (Behemoth Blade)
-Swords Dance
Nature: Jolly (+SPE, -SATK)

Generally, Behemoth Blade is the move of choice on everything dynamaxed. Swords Dance as the boost if a switch is predicted for extra power. Sacred Sword and Crunch round out the set fairly nicely to give coverage on near enough everything one might face.

Though as stated initially, it was designed as an ingame hammer more than anything else.
I don’t think Crunch is the best choice here. Zacian doesn’t need Dark coverage, especially as a Fairy type. Its only advantage is hitting Ghost types for neutral damage. I think Ice Fang for Ground seems like a better option.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
I don’t think Crunch is the best choice here. Zacian doesn’t need Dark coverage, especially as a Fairy type. Its only advantage is hitting Ghost types for neutral damage. I think Ice Fang for Ground seems like a better option.
Crunch is a niche option. Main reasons I think of running it would be for Aegislash, Necrozma Dusk-Mane, Solgaleo and Lunala, the former resisting are taking a relative pittance from Zacian's other moves and Lunala cause 4 times weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.