• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #081

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week

428.png
lopunny.png

It's Lopunny and its Mega Evolution, Mega Lopunny.

Previously, Lopunny was ignored and shamed because it wasn't the best, but since Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire gave it a Mega Evolution, it has had a massive amount of increased usage

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/428.shtml

Go nuts

Chinonso

Therians
Lopunny is a Pokemon that I personally hate. It's also (in my opinion) the only Pokemon to be hindered by having a mega.
(Positives/Negatives are for its mega only, since I've never seen anyone use standard Lopunny):

Positives:
+ Base 136 Attack and Base 135 Speed make Lopunny a formidable sweeper.
+ Normal/Fighting is actually a fairly decent offensive typing on Lopunny, and with Scrappy, you don't need Dark type moves (none of which Lopunny can learn, except for Fling, which is useless when its Mega, I think) to hit them with.
+ 94/96 defences are actually pretty decent too. Kingdra has the same amount of bulk as this thing, so it can take a number of hits.
+ A decent array of non-STAB offensive attacks.
+ I've found out that Rototiller can be surprisingly useful in Doubles.

Negatives:
- Bulk hindered by a poor Base 65 HP.
- A lot of people run High Jump Kick, which likes to miss. You know what happens when that misses...
- Defensively, all the type change between standard and Mega Lopunny just gave it 3 more weaknesses.
- It is (unfortunately) part Normal-type, which is super-effective against... 0 types!

Ability:
Scrappy: Allows Normal and Fighting type attacks to hit Ghost-type Pokemon. That's both of Mega Lopunny's STAB types. It should be grateful it got this ability, because otherwise, it'd get walled by Ghost-types.

Moveset:
"I don' get to tend the wabbits"
Return
Drain Punch
Iron Tail
Ice Punch

Ability: Scrappy
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Speed
Adamant Nature
Item: Lopunnite

Pretty standard set here. No boosting moves, surprisingly due to its slightly underwhelming bulk. Watch out if you're gonna surprise your opponent with an Iron Tail, as it likes to miss (same reason why I didn't use High Jump Kick).

Deltadromeus

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Mega Lopunny is my favorite mega pokemon, and Lopunny is my second favorite pokemon, and a staple to my team. I only use Mega Lopunny, so I'll do a guide for that.

Pros
-A base 136 attack is pretty good, especially with Hi Jump Kick.
-In generation 6, Lopunny gets Hi Jump Kick.
-Base 135 speed is beyond amazing. You will outsped most Scarf pokemon while jolly.
-Mega Lopunny gets the scrappy ability, which hits ghost types. Hi Jump Kick can't be walled now.
-Lopunny gets good moves, like elemental punches, Fake Out, Encore, Drain Punch, Power-up Punch, and Cosmic Power.

Cons
-94/96 sounds like very good defenses, but that 65 Hp will let you down.
-It is quite weak to priority Brave Bird.
-Base 135 attack is good, but without an item, it kinda falls behind.
-Mega Lopunny is weak to fairies.

Pokkèn Tournament, Here I Come!
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Cute Charm, Scrappy (mega)
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd
-Fake Out
-Hi Jump Kick
-Return/Facade
-Ice Punch/Encore/Protect

This is pretty much my standard singles Lopunny set. Fake Out is for Flinches (just don't do it against a Mega Gallade) Hi Jump Kick is to blow everything up. You should always use Hi Jump Kick. Always. Return is for things that resist Hi Jump Kick, and it hits as hard as a x2 Ice Punch. Facade is there to tank a burn, and continue hitting hard like it's nobody's business. The choice between Encore and Ice Punchis yours. Encore with shut things down, and for sure give that Aegislash that used King's Sheild a bad day by locking him in. Ice Punch hits Mega Salamence really, really hard. But even after a Fake Out, you you might not KO him, especially if you where intimidated. It also wreaks havoc on Garchomp, with always OKOHs with Outrage. Protect is there just for doubles. Always, always have protect in doubles.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Going to post a horrifyingly bad niche set that I sometimes run to gimmicky effect.

Yes, it's the Klutz/Switcheroo-set.

Slow pivot into Lopunny and Mega Evolve your Lopunny, watch them bring in their Fighting/Flying/Fairy-type and hit them with Switcheroo..

Lopunny @ Flame Orb
Ability: Klutz
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Spd
- Switcheroo
- Cosmic Power
- Return
- Baton Pass

I know all the qualms people have with this, for one, it's weak, number two it gets walled against Ghosts. Third, it's gimmicky. But what I like is that this set can play games with the opponent. Akin to running double Mega's, but even moreso due to the not-usage of regular Lopunny. If you put this in a team with Sableye and Slowbro, either of which could be your Mega, then they'll surely think that Lopunny is your Mega. But with said team, you will need something to take out whatever Ghost the opponent brings. And I can tell you're wondering, if you're packing Sableye, is Switcheroo Flame Orb really worth i? Yes. Yes it is. Because +2 Def/SpD Mega Sableye with Recover is not going down for quite a while, same if you're running Mega Slowbro. The surprise factor allows for that set-up to work.

Nobody is going to expect regular Lopunny and so they'll switch to the aforementioned counters. During the switch, you start off with a Cosmic Power, watch the Mega Lopunny counter come in as the opponent frowns in disbelief and pull the Switcheroo, pull another Cosmic Power and Baton Pass out of there.

KillerDraco

Moveset:
"I don' get to tend the wabbits"
Return
Drain Punch
Iron Tail
Ice Punch

Ability: Scrappy
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Speed
Adamant Nature

Pretty standard set here.

Actually there's almost nothing standard about this set at all. Not entirely sure what you're doing with those EVs, but an Adamant nature with just 4 speed EVs truly gimps Mega Lopunny, because it fails to outspeed anything noteworthy. In fact, it ends up outsped by speed natured 252 base 91's or higher! When you've got a base 135 speed tier, you want to utilize it to the fullest to ensure that it's not outsped. Iron Tail is bad, since 75 accuracy is awful for only base 100 power, and the coverage it offers isn't that great either. Most Fairy types can't switch into Mega Lopunny because Return tends to 2HKO all but the bulkiest of fairies, and with its great speed tier, you're likely to be able to deal with them without much duress.

Ability: Cute Charm, Scrappy (mega)

You want Limber pre-evolving. Cute Charm is unreliable due to the low activation chance and only affecting contatc moves, while Limber can at least help ward off stray Thunder Waves on the switch-in.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
A Little Spring In Your Step
Lopunny@Flame Orb
Jolly nature
Klutz
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~Switcheroo
~Return/Facade
~High Jump Kick/Drain Punch
~Magic Coat/Fire Punch

Lopunny's always been fun to use, and it's no exception in this day and age. Switcheroo lets you foist the Flame Orb on anything you want to burn, with Klutz preventing Lopunny from being burned itself. Return is for STAB, with Facade as an option if you're worried about an opponent getting rid of Klutz. High Jump Kick is for extra coverage, with Drain Punch as an alternative if you're more concerned with restoring HP. Finally, Magic Coat lets you bounce back any status moves you might see coming, with Fire Punch as an alternative for those who, like me, would prefer to be Shedinja-proof.

Item and Ability are explained above.

Mega... Rabbit... Something... I Dunno, I Got Nothing For This One
Lopunny@Lopunnyite
Jolly nature
Limber (Scrappy)
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~Return
~High Jump Kick
~Fire Punch
~Fake Out

This one's pretty straightforward. Mega Evolve Lopunny, Fake Out on the Mega Evolution turn, and proceed to kick ***. Thanks to Scrappy, its STAB moves of Return and High Jump Kick are completely unresisted. Well, OK, resisted by one. Shedinja. Which is where Fire Punch comes in.

Item lets Lopunny Mega Evolve. Ability before Mega Evolving lets it switch in on paralysis-inducing moves with impunity. Ability after Mega Evolving gives it amazing coverage.

Other options:
*Mega Lopunny's pretty fast, but if you're really worried about what's faster, I suppose Quick Attack is an option.
*Last Resort is pretty gimmicky, but if you can work it into a strategy somehow, then by all means.
*Encore is an option for the Switcheroo set if you can make room for it.

Abilities:
*Cute Charm: When Lopunny is hit by a contact move by an opponent of the opposite gender, the attacker has a 30% chance of falling in love. Pretty damn situational, I don't recommend it.
*Klutz: Lopunny cannot make use of any held item in battle, unless it affects the gain of Exp, EVs, or prize money, would only have an effect outside of battle anyway, would prevent evolution (only in the case of unevolved Pokémon with Klutz holding an Everstone), or is the Iron Ball. It also cannot use Fling, but is allowed to use moves like Bestow, Thief, or Switcheroo. On the surface this Ability seems actively detrimental, but it actually makes Lopunny ideal for foisting harmful items on opponents.
*Limber: Lopunny's Hidden Ability. Lopunny cannot be paralyzed. If you're gonna use an attacking Lopunny, even if you plan to Mega Evolve it, this would be the ideal Ability for it, so you can freely switch it in on moves like Glare or Thunder Wave.
*Scrappy: Mega Lopunny's Ability. Mega Lopunny's Fighting and Normal moves do neutral damage to Ghost-types instead of not affecting them. A Ghost-type's other type will still influence type effectiveness (IE: Froslass would take super effective damage from High Jump Kick, whereas Doublade would resist Dizzy Punch). Absolutely perfect- it gives Mega Lopunny's STAB moves completely unresisted coverage, since ordinarily it's only Ghost-types that would stop Normal and Fighting from being an unresisted combination.

Partners:
Entry hazard support is appreciated, though perhaps not so much Toxic Spikes in the case of Klutz Switcheroo Lopunny- kinda defeats the purpose of foisting the Flame Orb upon something, don't you think?

Counters:
Shedinja is still immune to Mega Lopunny's STAB moves due to Wonder Guard, so it can come in on any of those with impunity, survive Fire Punch with Focus Sash, and burn with Will-O-Wisp, which basically screws you then and there. While we're at it, basically any STAB High Jump Kick. Hawlucha is something to look out for in particular, as it's fast. If Unburden's already kicked in, it's even faster than Mega Lopunny, and so can outspeed and OHKO.

Opinion:
I like Mega Lopunny. Cool concept, excellent execution.

Prediction for next week:
Seviper

Kraleck

Lopunny. I was surprised it got a Mega. I was more surprised by how awesome its Mega was!

Stats:
-HP - Below Average-bordering-Average - Base 65 is kinda poor for a Normal Type.
-Attack - Below Average-bordering-Average/Incredible - Base 76 is a lackluster start. Base 136 from Mega-Lopunny is very sweet.
-Defense - Above Average/Good - Base 84 is not so bad, but Base 94 with Mega is much appreciated.
-Sp.Atk - Mediocre - Base 54 is a fat sack of nope.jpg all-around.
-Sp.Def - Good-bordering-Great - Base 96 allows you to shrug off an occasional middling-Power Special Move...somewhat.
-Speed - Great (non-Trick Room)/Incredible (non-Trick Room) - Base 105 allows Lopunny to outrun many things to spread Status Moves around better. Base 135 allows Mega-Lopunny to hit things much sooner...

Abilities:
-Cute Charm - No. Just...no.
-Klutz - Cannot use Held Items...or be restricted or affected by them, either. Great for Switcheroo plays with Toxic Orb, Flame Orb, Choice Band, Choice Specs, or Black Sludge.
-Limber (Hidden, Available) - Immunity to Paralysis. With that kind of Speed, it's so~ worth it.
-Scrappy - Mega-Lopunny can hit Ghosts with both of its STABs. Combined with an almost-free hit from Fake Out (barring Inner Focus, of course), this can really help Lopunny's offense via Mega Evolution.

Overall, Lopunny becoming what it is today is like a mash-up of Cinderella getting her wish and the training montages of Rocky. The sizeable Movepool of a Normal Type and power of a Fighting Type blend beautifully. Combined with an assortment of nasty tricks up its fluffy sleeves, Lopunny can hold its own for a while.

However, Lopunny is still fragile. Below Average HP with Good, but not Great, defenses leave it vulnerable to strong and/or repeated blows. Mega Evolution is not kind on Type Matchups, either - Normal/Fighting quadruples the number of Types Lopunny has to worry about from Fighting to Fighting, Fairy, Psychic, and Flying (all commonly used, I might add) in exchange for Rock, Bug, and Dark Resistances.

eworm

Oh hey, a Pokémon I've actually used. In Doubles and, of course, with Lopunnite.

Doubles Set:

mlopunny.png
@Lopunnite
Jolly / Limber
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch / Low Kick
- Protect / Ice Punch / Fire Punch
- Return

Fake Out is invaluable in Doubles and it allows Lopunny to safely Mega Evolve nearly every time to acquire them boosts immediately. With MLopunny's high Attack stat and Scrappy Ability, it puts a lot of pressure on the opponents, even the Ghost-type ones. What follows, of course, is attacking with powerful and nearly unresisted (courtesy of Scrappy) STAB moves. Return hits most opponents for massive damage and the Rock and Steel types that resist it can be dealt with by using MLopunny's secondary Fighting attack. Drain Punch has decent power and restores HP, but Low Kick can be a better option against heavy foes (which Rock and Steel types tend to be). Protect is near-mandatory in Doubles environment and can protect MLopunny from such threats as Talonflame (whom MLopunny hates with passion), while the ally deals with them on the side. However, should it not be necessary, MLopunny has access to the ever-useful elemental punches, which could help the team's coverage and are quite potent with MLopunny's Attack.
Limber before Mega Evolving allows Lopunny to switch in on Thunder Waves, Glares and Nuzzles.

OTHER OPTIONS:
Not including High Jump Kick because, while Scrappy does make it much better an option, Doubles are too Protect-heavy for it to be reliable. However, it could work with a Feint partner.
Mega Lopunny's high speed allows it to use Encore to great effects, especially if the opponent Protects in fear of a Fake Out.

Non-Mega set:

lopunny.png
@Flame Orb
Jolly / Klutz
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
- Switcheroo
- Thunder Wave
- Entrainment
- Return

While everybody and their mother are gonna expect Lopunny to Mega Evolve, this set will surprise them with an item-switching, Ability-changing disruptor. Thanks to possibly the worst Ability in the game, Klutz, Lopunny can keep ignoring the Flame Orb until it's time to Switcheroo it to the right opponent - one with a high Attack stat, of course (and no Guts). With some luck, Lopunny will snatch an item that could further hinder another opponent, such as a Choice item or Assault Vest. Other than that, Lopunny can share the Klutz with other Pokémon by the use of Entrainment - rendering many a Pokémon highly useless and forcing them to switch - or paralyse non-Ground and non-Electric opponents using Thunder Wave. Return is here to be a good STAB attack in case Lopunny finds itself in need of hitting something.

No, it's not a set that wins you battles. In fact, it isn't even that good. Lopunny's niche now lies in its Mega Evolution - this here is only for the surprise value and to try something different.

Last edited:

ger9119

Encore or Sub + Power Up Punch is probably the best set.

Saph~

Serebii Champion x.x
Contributing for the first time, have mercy.

Bait and Switch

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Return/Frustration
- Drain Punch

This set functions as an effect offensive pivot, mainly utilizing sub + BP to pass to other teammates to keep the momentum up. The general idea of this is to lure a pokemon in on the other team that would normally destroy lopunny or just wall it completely then pass the sub to something that beats it to keep pressure on. A lot of people would not expect the substitute. It functions as an opportunity to get a free hit off on something, or buy a free turn for whatever you choose to baton pass into. Return/Frustration are the best normal moves that lopunny can get and it makes no difference whichever one you use short of a ditto cloning it. Drain Punch > HJK. The recovery on this set is something that is actually very important to it because of the use of substitute. Lopunny's already insane offensive stats definitely give you some room to work with by scaling back from a risky move like HJK. Lopunny was honestly given a god-send ability in the form of Scrappy invaluably allowing it to hit ghost types. In and of itself, Lopunny becomes a severe offensive threat with little that actually wants to take a hit from either of it's STABs.

Partners with this set

I figured this was something important to add with a set that actually relies on teammates as well. One of Lopunny's main weaknesses are priority moves. It being weak to Fighting makes pokemon like Conkeldurr and Breloom problems, as well as flying types like Talonflame which all hit hard with priority moves. This set specifically cares a little less about priority moves, because of the substitute they will usually have to sack something to the bunny first before going into their priority move pokemon, if they even have one. You can't go wrong with a defensive wall paired with Lopunny, for instance Landorus-Therian or Rotom-Wash both pair very well with Lopunny being able to take all of those hits for it and keep up momentum with U-Turn/ Volt Switch. It wouldn't mind being paired with a wall breaker that can take down checks that stop it from sweeping, like Bisharp which can also check fairies which are a pain to switch into.

Tl;dr: Something for Fairies, something for Priority moves.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return/Frustration
- Ice Punch

This is the most straightforward set rn, it's stabs hit absolutely everything and Ice Punch kills gliscor and landorus.

Other moves include Encore, Substitute, Power-Up Punch, Fire Punch, Drain Punch, Baton Pass.

It's wabitt season!
Switcheroo
Fake Out
Drain Punch
Teeter Dance
Item: Flame Orb
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 112 Atk / 72 Def / 72 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly nature

This set for regular is to stop a physical sweeper, and chipping away at it. Everything else can be trolled with confusion with Teeter Dance. You can't hit ghost types, but most ghost types aren't physical sweepers.

Every Bunny was kung fu fighting
Drain Punch
Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
Teeter Dance
Ice Punch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature

This is for the offense of Mega Lopunny. Drain Punch is powerful stab also recovering health, Teeter Dance is great for confusion, while elemental punches provide extra coverage.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
For everyone using the switcheroo sets, why no assault vests? With klutz, it can switcheroo, and it will also destroy walls with it, as pokemon who rely on the non attacking moves will be defeated. Look at chansey/blissey/ferrothorn/etc. They all need status moves to actually function, and essentially, you lock one of them out of everything

ampfire101

Countering Lopunny
It's really not that hard to counter. Running Breloom is a good way to dispose of it, with STAB Technician Mach Punch able to KO it with relative ease. Talonflame Gale Wings Brave Bird serves as another way to wipe it out. Mega Lucario Drain Punch is a way to take away its health and KO it at the same time. To be honest, there are so many things that can counter regular Lopunny that you'll never see regular rabbit in battle. Its Mega is what people fear nowadays.

ger9119

Countering Lopunny
It's really not that hard to counter. Running Breloom is a good way to dispose of it, with STAB Technician Mach Punch able to KO it with relative ease. Talonflame Gale Wings Brave Bird serves as another way to wipe it out. Mega Lucario Drain Punch is a way to take away its health and KO it at the same time. To be honest, there are so many things that can counter regular Lopunny that you'll never see regular rabbit in battle. Its Mega is what people fear nowadays.

Let's actually have counters and not things that find it hard to switch in on any of it's attacks.

Lando-T
Clefable
Mew
Rotom-W
Skarmory
Slowbro/Mega Slowbro
Celebi

All come to mind.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Since offensive sets are going to be posted all over this thread, let's try a gimmicky mega loppuny defensive set.

Loppuny@Loppunite
Limber Ability
Careful Nature
252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Def
-Cosmic Power
-Drain Punch
-Heal Bell
-Facade/Baton Pass

Loppuny's Sp.Def doesn't change upon Mega Evolving, but it's base Def does increase slightly. This set aims to achieve a bulky attacker set, using Cosmic Power to boost both defenses. Because of Scrappy, Drain Punch hits everything, allowing Loppuny to recover using any pokemon. To keep itself free of status, Loppuny runs Heal Bell, curing itself and teammates. The last move really depends on what you want Lopunny to do. With Facade you can hold onto a status like Burn or Poison and hit hard, or you can Baton Pass your Cosmic Power boost to another pokemon who needs it. This Lopunny runs Careful with max HP and Sp.Def, but they're pretty bad even after Mega Evolving, meaning you need the Cosmic Power boosts immediately. Luckily Lopunny is very good at forcing switches if your opponent is expecting standard Hi Jump Kick Loppuny, but it's a one trick pony so make it count.

ho-oh tajra

Brazilian Trainer
Just wanted to point out a few other options that our favorite cover page bunny has:
Magic Coat: Somehow Lopunny learns Magic Coat, which allows it to send back Confuse Ray, Will-o-Wisp, Leech Seed, Dark Void, Thunder Wave and more back to the user, just keep in mind that Magic Coat only protects the user against Dark Void.
Healing Wish: This can be used together with Lopunny's SPD if you want to bring a team mate back to full HP and think Lopunny can't do anything else anymore.
Double Hit: At first it may seem a weak move since it has only 35 base power, but duo to it hitting twice, it actually has 70 base power, Dragon Claw only has 80 so it is almost as strong as a Draw Claw with the bonus of breaking Focus Sash and Sturdy and the price of having 90 accuracy.
Sky Uppercut: This one is an alternative if you think Drain Punch isn't strong enough, Low Kick isn't reliable enough and High Jump Kick is too risky.
Endeavor: Not too useful since Lopunny is rather fragile, but if you get low on HP, the combo of Lopunny's SPD and Endeavor can help at taking something down.
Helping Hand: Helping Hand is always useful for doubles, but might not see much use on Lopunny since she is fragile.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Lopunny has become one of my all time favorite Pokemon.
Mega Evolution gave the rabbit a spike in speed and power alongside an animation that combines grace with brutality. Mega Lopunny's Fighting/Normal type combination with the Scrappy ability gives it perfect type coverage on everything except Shedinja, and Lopunny has the movepool to back it up. With STAB moves Return, Quick Attack, Fake Out, Low Kick, High Jump Kick, and Drain Punch, nothing is safe from Mega Lopunny's adorable and brutal wrath.

The basic
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
@: Lopunnite

Fake Out
Return
High Jump Kick/Low Kick
Ice Punch/Drain Punch/Quick Attack

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
For everyone using the switcheroo sets, why no assault vests? With klutz, it can switcheroo, and it will also destroy walls with it, as pokemon who rely on the non attacking moves will be defeated. Look at chansey/blissey/ferrothorn/etc. They all need status moves to actually function, and essentially, you lock one of them out of everything

Was going to say this myself - klutz allows assault vest to be tricked onto the opponent, essentially taunting them for the entire match, which is great if this opponent is a team cleric, or relies on its bulk and recovery alone to crack your team.
It's good on a triples team, because you can wreck a dedicated supporter for the rest of the match.

One key thing to note is that the vest's effect will only kick in the following turn - so this won't save you from the first status move they use. Still, as a long term solution to a bothersome wall you can't get much better.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Just a reminder that Fire Punch and Thunder Punch are outdamaged by neutral Return or High Jump Kick unless the target has a double weakness, and several Fire Punch targets are already weak to High Jump Kick. Not even OO worthy honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.