• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #089

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyoshi

Veteran Trainer
I'd rather stick to Smogon's set for Dragon Arceus (STAB/Fire Blast/Recover/CM with 248 HP, 176 Speed, rest in SpA). Being Xerneas bait blows because you can't break it at +1 and it Geomancys in your face and getting walled by any Steel is bad.

Maybe Smogon's set is better. However, if there is one good thing about my set, it's that it might be able to damage Xerneas on a predicted switch in. (Flash Cannon and Sludge Bomb aren't exactly packing Draco Meteor-level power.) You know, nail it before it can even boost. And if that doesn't OHKO Xerneas (without a critical hit that's...don't count on it), it's going to have to choose between using Moonlight right after Geomancy or go on a sweep while hurt. How many Pokemon want to be in that position?
And as for "being Xerneas bait," aren't most Dragons not named Dialga already that?

KillerDraco

Maybe Smogon's set is better. However, if there is one good thing about my set, it's that it might be able to damage Xerneas on a predicted switch in. (Flash Cannon and Sludge Bomb aren't exactly packing Draco Meteor-level power.) You know, nail it before it can even boost. And if that doesn't OHKO Xerneas (without a critical hit that's...don't count on it), it's going to have to choose between using Moonlight right after Geomancy or go on a sweep while hurt. How many Pokemon want to be in that position?
And as for "being Xerneas bait," aren't most Dragons not named Dialga already that?

(Modest) 252+ SpA Arceus-Dragon Flash Cannon vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 184-218 (43.9 - 52%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO
(Timid) 252 SpA Arceus-Dragon Flash Cannon vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 170-200 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's a very easy opportunity to set up Geomancy or just KO it outright with Moonblast.

Dragon type Arceus's main niche is being able to check most other dragons in the tier due to its base 120 speed tier. Trying to shakily check Xerneas is not worth much.

Kiyoshi

Veteran Trainer
(Modest) 252+ SpA Arceus-Dragon Flash Cannon vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 184-218 (43.9 - 52%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO
(Timid) 252 SpA Arceus-Dragon Flash Cannon vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 170-200 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's a very easy opportunity to set up Geomancy or just KO it outright with Moonblast.

Dragon type Arceus's main niche is being able to check most other dragons in the tier due to its base 120 speed tier. Trying to shakily check Xerneas is not worth much.

My set wasn't meant to check Xerneas, it was meant to be an alternative to the standard Dragon-type Arceus sets, one that trades recovery for more offensive coverage. Most likely not the best alternative, but gotta be better than seeing yet another copy/pasted Extremespeed set.
On that note, Modest-version of my set has an 11.7% chance to 2KO? That's better than I thought it would do.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Weakening Xerneas doesn't matter if you can't kill it afterward. It will counter sweep you if you don't have Mega Scizor or Klefki, and a good player will kill those before sending Xern out or will have a secondary wincon. If I wanted a Dragon that weakened Xern as it set up I'd use Latis, who hit way harder with STAB Soul Dew Psyshock and check the Primals.

Other viable Dragons have secondary STAB or are Mega Mence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.