• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #097

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon and this week we have a Hoenn classic

286.png

It's Breloom!

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/286.shtml

Go nuts

Last edited by a moderator:

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Breloom! One of the more terrifying abusers of Technician in the game. You think Bullet Punch Scizor is bad? Now think how much worse it would be with Mach Punch's fantastic coverage. Yeah, and with Bullet Seed's buff, Technician Breloom hits hard. (also Breloom is number 286, not 284)

Fighting Fungi
Breloom
Ability: Technician
Item: Focus Sash
-Mach Punch
-Spore
-Bullet Seed
-Stone Edge/Rock Tomb/Swords Dance
Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) or Jolly (+SPE, -SATK)
EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE

Standard Breloom set. Mach Punch and Spore create a nice catch-22: Do I stay in and lose one of my pokémon to Mach Punch? Or do I switch and have my Breloom counter put to Sleep with Spore. Bullet Seed is a great secondary STAB and can hit hard at 3+ shots. Last move is up to preference. Stone Edge and Rock Tomb are both Rock options (Slightly Higher Power + Crit Chance vs Guaranteed Speed Drop) that deal with pokémon that are problematic for Breloom (Flying and Fire types) while Swords Dance can take advantage of a switch or Spore to make Breloom truly terrifying.

Standard sweeper EVs and Nature.

Other Options
Thunderpunch -Hurts Celesteela and Skarmory better than normal, but you would also need Swords Dance to have any prayer of punching through the two.
Force Palm -Gets the Technician boost, and the paralysis chance is nice, but Mach Punch usually suffices as the Fighting STAB
Poison Heal -an amazing defensive ability... that is sadly wasted on Breloom. Weaknesses to Fairy, Ice, Flying and Fire are far too common, especially with Breloom's subpar bulk.

Checks and Counters
-Flying types eat Breloom for breakfast. Resist both STABs, x4 STAB type advantage on a soft pokémon and commonly higher speed all create a recipe that forces Breloom to run. However Breloom usually runs a Rock move and Focus Sash, so flying types can't switch in and need Breloom to be wounded to guarantee the kill. And Breloom always runs Spore, so that is a problem too.
-Skarmory and Celesteela deserve special mention, only fearing Spore and even then Breloom is still forced to switch out, as its Best move against them is Thunder Punch which does a paltry 10% at best, giving ample time to setup.
-Mega Venasaur/Amonguss/Tapu Bulu/Tangrowth -Resist both STABs, can't be put to sleep with Spore, and don't take a lot of damage from Breloom's other moves and solidly OHKO/2HKO it back. These four solidly counter Breloom.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Give us something harder! I guess something not from the usual OU/UU classes.

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
I still remember using this guy in Emerald. The old Spore + Focus Punch combo helped me make quick work of of the Pyramid King Brandon at the Battle Frontier. Took a lot a patience to hold off on evolving my Shroomish until I got Spore, but it was well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.