1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #098

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Serebii, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

2. Mestorn

Mestorn Wandering Battler

Ah Golem, once valued as one of the few viable normal resists in the game. However, as the generations have gone by, the value of that niche has gone down and its crippling weaknesses towards Water and Grass alongside weakness to common types like Fighting, Ground and Ice prevent Golem from doing any walling for a significant amount of time. Base 65 SDEF is poor, meaning neutral hits will still do a decent chunk of damage. Base 45 Speed is decent for Trick Room, but there are plenty of foes both in and out of Trick Room that can outspeed it. So what can Golem do? Its Attack, sitting at a respectable base 120 is a good place to start. If Golem can attack, it will do some considerable damage, especially with its respectable Ground/Rock STAB combo.

My Weakness is My Strength
    Golem
    Ability: Sturdy
    Item: Weakness Policy
    -Rock Polish
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Blast/Stone Edge
    -Sucker Punch/Fire Punch
    EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE
    Nature: Jolly (+SPE, -SATK) or Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)

This set allows Golem to abuse its many common weaknesses to terrifying effect. Allow Golem a Free Switch in, take the opportunity to throw up a Rock Polish while your opponent hits Golem with a Super Effective attack (that you will survive thanks to Sturdy) and Golem has just performed a pseudo Shell Smash and is ready to go on the attack. Earthquake is earthquake. Rock Blast and Stone Edge are your options for the rock STAB of Choice. Stone Edge is more powerful, while Rock Blast breaks through Substitutes, Focus Sash and Sturdy. Last move is up for preference. Even after a Rock Polish, Golem can still be outsped, so Sucker Punch is good priority, while Fire Punch is an option for Grass types that resist Earthquake.

Note that any entry Hazards, priority moves will break this set, by breaking Sturdy or offing Golem after it has setup.

3. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

MY BEARD GIVES ME SUPER STRENGTH!
    Golem - Alolan Form
    Ability - Galvanize
    Item - Focus Sash
    Rock Polish
    Double Edge
    Explosion
    Stone-Edge/Rock Slide/Earthquake
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPE
    Nature :Jolly

Galvanize Golem, once fully with setup, is one of the most dangerous sweepers out there. Other than grass-types, he pretty much covers much of the Pokemon types he's weak too including the all too common water-type. He is also arguably the most dangerous user of Explosion out there, Galvanize turning and boosting Explosion as a electric STAB move. However because electric-type covers flying-types like rock-types do, you may want Earthquake, even though it lacks STAB, as a counter against any fellow rock and electric types. Other than that, I got nothing. His electric typing and ability is both a blessing and a weakness.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Active Member

I like the general idea of the set, but there are a few issues.
    Having Double Edge allows Golem to have an “Electric” move that isn’t just a one-time nuke. However, using Double Edge is pointless, since it will break the Focus Sash. It would be better to use a different Normal move, like Return or possibly Flail (due to the Focus Sash).

Also, change the set name to “My Beard Gives Me Super Strength.”

shoz999 and Aduro like this.
  5. BillyBobJoe

Is Steamroller considered a viable option on Alolan Golem? It would be an anti-Grass move more than anything. I know it isn’t good on normal Golem since it has access to Fire Punch. But could it work on Alolan Golem?

6. BillyBobJoe

Abilities:

Normal form:
    Rock Head- basically useless unless you use Double Edge, and even then, it has better options.
    Sturdy- probably Golem’s best ability. It acts as a pseudo-Focus Sash, which is helpful given Golem’s numerous weaknesses.
    Sand Veil- people already hate evasion enough. And besides, why would you use Golem in sand?

Alolan form:
    Magnet Pull- the only fully evolved non-Steel type to get this ability. Not really that useful. While it does give you a chance to KO a Steel type with a super effective move, almost ever Steel type can do the same to you.
    Study- same as above.
    Galvanize- very helpful considering Alolan Golem doesn’t have access to a large variety of physical Electric moves. Can also turn Alolan Golem into a one-time nuke with Explosion, beating out even Z-Moves in terms of raw power

7. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

Since its in PU, Alolan Golem with Magnet Pull is a useful way to trap one of the tier's most annoying pivots, togedemaru.

8. BillyBobJoe

Oof. I didn’t know where it was tier-wise. I assume it is due to its quad-Weakness to Ground and its poor speed?

For me personally, I don’t care about tiers unless it is about something being broken (like Mega Rayquaza), extremely bad, or being outclassed by something better.

9. Mestorn

Mestorn Wandering Battler

Magnet Pull is actually very useful on Alolan Golem, as it can deal with Steel Types that Stymie Magnezone, such as Heatran, Excadrill (a bit of a tie there...), and other Magenzone as well as getting most threats that Magnezone does (exceptions being Kartana and Ferrothorn, who are too quick/bulky to be dispatched by Earthquake/Fire Punch).

10. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

That's part of it. Plus it can't set up rocks reliably and use galvanise at the same time. So its niche isn't that reliable. Alolan Geodude can be pretty good though, since its a rock setter that can reliably OHKO Mareanie, and explosion is going to take out something. It even runs fire blast sometimes so ferroseed isn't a reliable counter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.