• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, even with Metang's low speed, he's still too fast to use Gyro Ball effectively. Even with an absolute minimum speed stat, you'd have to be facing an opponent with the speed of a Timid Zebstrika just to match the power of Meteor Mash. Of course, it would be much more worth it if you were using an Iron Ball (which would be pretty cool with Trick), but the loss of the Eviolite just isn't worth it.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Personal Moveset
Clear Body w/ Life Orb/Scope Lens
Brave w/ 252 Attack, 252 Sp Attack, 8 Sp Defense
Zen Headbutt/Psyshock
Meteor Mash
Hammer Arm/Brick Break/Earthquake
Rock Slide/Shadow Ball

Clear Body w/ Muscle Band/Life Orb/Scope Lens
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 130 Defense, 128 Sp Defense
Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash/Bullet Punch
Hammer Arm/Brick Break
Earthquake/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Rock Slide

Partners:
Trick Room-users
Rain Dance-users to soften Fire-type attacks
Light Screen-users

Countering:
High Defense and Sp Attack with Special Fire-type attacks (like Flamethrower/Heat Wave) like Heat Rotom, Hydregion, or Togekiss.
Flame Body/Will-o-wisp-users

Metagross should never ever run Psyshock. Metagross' attack stat is so much higher than its Sp.Atk stat, so Zen Heatbutt will hit harder at anything. Brick Break is also not too good compared to Hammer Arm. HA simply hits harder, and you want as much power to destroy that Heatran on the switch in before it can Fire Blast you into oblivion, and the speed drop doesn't matter anyway against Ferrothorn. Rock Slide has lost a bit of shine since Metagross got Thunderpunch to hit Gyarados with, although I guess its good to surprise Volcarona when it switches in, or when Volcarona guesses on you fleeing to Quiver Dance on your switch. It just has such low base power and apart from Gyarados, Zapdos, and Volcarona it doesn't really hit anything else, it's too bad that Meta doesn't get Stone Edge.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Unfortunately, even with Metang's low speed, he's still too fast to use Gyro Ball effectively. Even with an absolute minimum speed stat, you'd have to be facing an opponent with the speed of a Timid Zebstrika just to match the power of Meteor Mash. Of course, it would be much more worth it if you were using an Iron Ball (which would be pretty cool with Trick), but the loss of the Eviolite just isn't worth it.

Yeah your right, I changed it to Meteor mash. But well its an fun set to use, not recommandable or something, evio metang is not as good as other eviolite pokemon like porygon2.

Zachmac

I tired making a Bulky Offense NU team based off my Bulky Offense OU team just for the heck of it before, and I used a Metang with Rest/Sleep Talk/MeteorMash/Hone Claws.

Is that viable at all? Or did it work just because I was so new at NU?

Ilan

I tired making a Bulky Offense NU team based off my Bulky Offense OU team just for the heck of it before, and I used a Metang with Rest/Sleep Talk/MeteorMash/Hone Claws.

sleep talk and rest aren't that viable in gen 5.. and steel isn't a strong sttsvking type so.. I wonder if it really worked for you.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Wish we could vote for PKMN of the week again I'd vote Blastoise, oh well anyway I have another set to add

Trick room metagross
Adamant /Careful
Clear body
Item@ Steel Gem / Lefties
EV's 252 attack, 100 HP, 152 Sp.def
Gyro Ball / Bullet Punch
Hammer Arm
Meteor Mash / Ice Punch
Rock Slide / Earthquake / Thunder Punch

The idea of this set is to he bulky enough and to hit anything coming your way with hammer arm except that that resists it, then use gyro ball when at -4, -5, or -6 speed to get max damage, or go with bullet punch if you think you'll need it, meteor mash for stab mainly if not running gyro ball, ice punch kills grounds, Earthquake slams other metagross if you are slower in Trick Room or faster outside it, Thunder Punch is there for the ever lasting annoying gyarados pretty much set up trick room before you set up your - speed, then just wail on everyone

Zachmac

sleep talk and rest aren't that viable in gen 5.. and steel isn't a strong sttsvking type so.. I wonder if it really worked for you.
I recall it working, but again, I must remind you that I wasn't fighting the greatest NU masters in the world.

Steel may not be all that great, but it seemed to do fair damage against most of the NU metagame, and metang felt extremely bulky to me.

I posted that mostly hoping for input from someone who spends a lot of time playing NU, though.

You can succeed with literal garbage in NU (evidenced by Garbodor). I laddered to #1 on the ladder with 6 ice types, a stall team, and a Baton Pass chain. In the right situation that Metang probably would work, but without Leftovers your opponent only has to do 34% per hit to overpower Rest. Factor in crits and a crappy offensive typing off only 75 base attack (probably uninvested) and you're looking at a bad Pokemon.

Try Curse / Iron Head / Rest / Sleep Talk Registeel if you REALLY want to go that route. However Rest/Talk is kind of bad this gen.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
huh? most pseudo legendaries are easy to take down if you play well... llike aiming for metagross weaker sp.defense.

I'm not referring to the gameplay of the metagame as to hate them. What I hate is their social reputation to the Competitive Pokemon trainer Community. Dragon like pokemon, Terrakion, Heatran, Scizor,and weather summoning pokes are the kinds I despise due to their high social status. I see them as too Over rated in OU. These guys status are about being too burly manly and no wimpy attitude.
Jirachi and Celebi are exceptions though since I find them more about cute badass type of social status.

Though, If I were to use my Celebi and Jirachi against Metagross, I'll go with 2 ways.

Abuse Earth Power / Hidden Power fire or do Paralysis and Iron Head flinching / carry Fire Punch (Be honest with me. You despise Jirachi if it Parahaxes you in battle and you weren't able to take her down and your counter to her is gone.)

Anyways, If Meta has to face the Tamarraw (terrakion) one on one, what would beat each other down? Cause both of them are quite par

Made of Metal, surely, but Gross... It isn't
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4HP
Nature: Jolly or Adamant
Metagross has decent Speed, but it may need more, hence the Jolly option and Choice Scarf. Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash are for STAB. Earthquake gives Fire-Types a hard time, and Ice Punch covers your remaining weakness, Ground.
OR:
Metagrosslow
-Trick Room
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash/Gyro Ball
-Earthquake/Ice Punch
Clear Body
Iron Ball
Brave, Sassy or Relaxed (I personally prefer Brave, but...)
252 Atk, 151 Def, 151 SDef, 4 HP
This set does well with a team with members like Slowking, Shuckle, Bastiodon... With 0 Speed EV's, Iron Ball and a Speed-Hindering Nature, Metagross outslows lots of Pokémon. With 0 Speed IV's that would give you 130, but with Iron Ball... 65. Obviously, set up Trick Room. Gyro Ball is better with Low Speed, but Meteor Mash has more PP and can raise your Attack. Zen Headbutt is for STAB too. Earthquake so you get rid of Fire-Types, or Ice Punch for Ground-Types.
I suggest Spiritomb for POTW #108.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Made of Metal, surely, but Gross... It isn't
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4HP
Nature: Jolly or Adamant
Metagross has decent Speed, but it may need more, hence the Jolly option and Choice Scarf. Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash are for STAB. Earthquake gives Fire-Types a hard time, and Ice Punch covers your remaining weakness, Ground.
OR:
Metagrosslow
-Trick Room
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash/Gyro Ball
-Earthquake/Ice Punch
Clear Body
Iron Ball
Brave, Sassy or Relaxed (I personally prefer Brave, but...)
252 Atk, 151 Def, 151 SDef, 4 HP
This set does well with a team with members like Slowking, Shuckle, Bastiodon... With 0 Speed EV's, Iron Ball and a Speed-Hindering Nature, Metagross outslows lots of Pokémon. With 0 Speed IV's that would give you 130, but with Iron Ball... 65. Obviously, set up Trick Room. Gyro Ball is better with Low Speed, but Meteor Mash has more PP and can raise your Attack. Zen Headbutt is for STAB too. Earthquake so you get rid of Fire-Types, or Ice Punch for Ground-Types.
I suggest Spiritomb for POTW #108.

Unfortunately, metagross doesn't learn trick room, so another pokemon has to set it up

Status
Not open for further replies.